#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2012-09-05

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:49] -adams.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:49] -adams.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:49] -adams.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:50] -adams.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:50] [frigg VERSION]
[6:50] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:50] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:50] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:40] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[8:38] * Asger (~abr@ has joined #duraspace
[11:41] * Asger (~abr@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[12:17] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:28] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[17:03] <tdonohue> Hi all, as usual, I'm available to chat about DSpace from now until the Developer Mtg. Feel free to ping me if you have something you'd like help/advice on: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/~tdonohue/DSpace+Office+Hours
[17:03] <kompewter> [ DSpace Office Hours - Tim Donohue - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/~tdonohue/DSpace+Office+Hours
[18:34] * bram-atmire (~bram@94-225-98-6.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:38] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:45] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:52] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:53] <bram-atmire> I just came here for the cake
[19:54] <bram-atmire> Happy birthday hardy
[19:54] <hpottinger> ty ty
[19:54] <hpottinger> the cake is possibly a lie, though, sorry :-)
[19:54] <bram-atmire> fair enough, settling for an ASCII cake
[19:55] * helix84 (a@ has joined #duraspace
[19:55] <tdonohue> Hi all, as usual, DSpace Devel mtg starts at the top of the hour: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-09-05
[19:56] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2012-09-05 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-09-05
[19:56] <helix84> happy bday!
[19:56] <tdonohue> happy birthday, hardy!
[19:56] <hpottinger> bram-atmire: there are a few ASCII cake options, however, I don't want to unleash them on the crowd gathered here...
[19:56] <hpottinger> thanks, everyone!
[19:57] <mhwood> Happy birthday!
[19:58] <hpottinger> aw, shucks, thx
[19:58] <hpottinger> I remember my last birthday, we celebrated with a testathon...
[19:59] * sarah_molloy (56b4593b@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <bram-atmire> Hi Sarah
[20:00] * sands (~sandsfish@ has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <sarah_molloy> Hi Bram
[20:00] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's that time again. Our DSpace Developers Mtg is starting now. Here's today's agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-09-05
[20:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2012-09-05 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-09-05
[20:01] <helix84> welcome DCAT! first agenda point: I think DCAT can help very much by testing out open pull requests. Especially now before the Friday deadline more than ever! Anyone who has managed to install DSpace can do it, if you have doubts, just contact me, I'll help.
[20:01] <sands> Cheers DCAT!
[20:01] * vhollister (440e1fe6@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <bram-atmire> @helix Are there any particular ones that can be tested without actually diving into the code?
[20:02] * kstamatis (2ebe5a0f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:02] <helix84> bram-atmire: I really don't think so. Not at this time.
[20:02] <kstamatis> hi everyone
[20:02] <tdonohue> Today is our first (of many) DCAT + Developers cross-conversation (or whatever we want to call it). So, the first 15 minutes of today's meeting are devoted to topics/discussions with DCAT folks in attendance
[20:02] <tdonohue> (I see we've already gotten started anyhow)
[20:02] <helix84> bram-atmire: that is, if by diving into the code you mean installing
[20:03] <robint> Hi Kostas
[20:03] <helix84> bram-atmire: testing out a pull request is about as easy as installing DSpace
[20:03] <tdonohue> In any case, we'll be having these DCAT + Developers cross-conversations once per month, on the week of the DCAT meeting (as described previously). I see quite a few DCAT folks in attendance here today...so, I welcome you to bring up topics or ask questions that may be of interest
[20:04] * nhoussos (5548dbdc@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:04] <bram-atmire> right
[20:04] <tdonohue> I know from talking with vhollister that DCAT in general was looking at ways they can help with the 3.0 Release process as we go forward...so, if developers have suggestions for them, we can also talk about that too (which is what helix84 already brought up)
[20:04] <bram-atmire> I guess this might be a bit of an unfortunate time to do this very first cross discussion, because everyone's so wrapped up in the feature freeze
[20:05] <helix84> ok, my previous comments may have been confusing. let me rephrase: DCAT can help by testing code, which is as easy as installing DSpace
[20:05] * bollini (~chatzilla@ has joined #duraspace
[20:05] <bram-atmire> But I think I can speak for all of DCAT if I say that we really want to jump on the bandwagon for the testathon & any documentation work
[20:05] <tdonohue> bram-atmire: yea, the feature freeze is a big topic right now, obviously. But, I think it's good to at least get this cross-discussion started with DCAT (even if this week is busy for us with feature freeze)
[20:06] <bram-atmire> One topic we've been looking at in DCAT is the change in the JIRA Workflow/statusses
[20:06] <hpottinger> let me ask this, is there anything in the list of tasks left for 3.0 discussion which is particular interest to DCAT? (list of tasks here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+3.0+Tasks)
[20:07] <bram-atmire> and it would be really great to have the current proposal in place
[20:08] <tdonohue> bram-atmire: in regards to JIRA workflow stuff (https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/JIRA+Workflow+Improvements). I've admittedly been waiting to do this until a time that it'd be less disruptive. I've been worried about making such large changes in the midst of a Feature Freeze
[20:08] <bram-atmire> @hardy: wow, it looks there's already a lot more on "merged" compared to when we looked at it yesterday
[20:08] <bram-atmire> @tdonohue: of course & agree
[20:08] <helix84> the tasks marked with bold text are not yet merged, which means if they don't get merged by Friday, they won't get into 3.0
[20:09] <vhollister> DS-1127 has been our or list for awhile - but we know that Robin has committed the code already.
[20:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1127 ] - [#DS-1127] Submission improvements: document type-based submission - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:10] <bollini> I could have missed something but I'm waiting for a vote on issues before merging...
[20:10] <vhollister> are there any not-yet-merged that DCAT feedback would be helpful?
[20:10] <helix84> vhollister: any of them
[20:11] <bram-atmire> Let's say that some of these contributions don't make the merge, how can the folks who contributed this be motivated to continue work or get it in (I'm just unclear on what happens afterwards with these things)
[20:11] <bram-atmire> Or is that mainly looked at on a case by case basis?
[20:11] <helix84> bram-atmire: they will be scheduled for 4.0, which is due in one year
[20:11] <bram-atmire> ok - so no new functional features in the point releases, only bug fixes?
[20:11] <helix84> bram-atmire: exactly
[20:12] <helix84> that's why you can make a difference by choosing any unmerged feature and test it by Friday
[20:12] <hpottinger> in the interim, it's possible to release new features as a module, I believe Discovery started out that way...
[20:12] <tdonohue> Correct. Any new feature code that misses 3.0 will be rescheduled for 4.0 (or contributors can choose to release the code on their own as a separately installed "add-on")
[20:12] <helix84> of course, even merged features will benefit from testing, even after Friday
[20:13] <bram-atmire> ok, maybe after this dev meeting, can you send out a call for reviews for those that nobody has yet volunteered for?
[20:14] <helix84> bram-atmire: it's any of the unmerged ones, really
[20:14] <tdonohue> I believe the release team is working on a "call for reviews" message? Though, I know that will be part of the agenda later in this meeting
[20:14] * tdonohue notes that we are almost at 15minutes, and the time has gone *quickly*
[20:15] <robint> bram-atmire: I note Andrea would welcome any reviewing or comment
[20:15] <bram-atmire> Thanks for the time & allowing us to join/intrude your meeting ;) Now that we tested the water hope we can bring more to the table in future meetings
[20:15] <robint> on the contributions he has waiting to be merged
[20:15] <helix84> re: "call for reviews" don't know anything about that, but I prepared the multivote draft
[20:15] <sands> tdonohue yes that is drafted. lots of work by helix was it?
[20:15] <helix84> one more question for DCAT: can anyone who has ever installed DSpace raise their hand?
[20:15] <sands> yes
[20:16] <vhollister> helix84: i think i joined when you were going over this w/bram-atmire, but DCAT will likely need some references/guidance on how/where testing should take place and where feedback should be provided. would this all be via Github? or on the demo we may need to step back a bit and give some guidance to DCAT members on testing. would testing
[20:16] <bollini> DCAT could also answers the question about discovery as default
[20:16] <bram-atmire> *raises* (in a long distant past in the pre maven era)
[20:16] <vhollister> sorry, fat fingers -- just trying to clarify where testing is for DCAT -- demo server or Github
[20:16] <helix84> vhollister: I'll contact you on your mailing list after DevMtg with instructions.
[20:17] <sands> vhollister, demo now has a feedback feature that will allow issues to be reported directly to JIRA, so for testing that occurs there, that should be a clear path.
[20:17] <sands> (thanks tddonohue for that)
[20:18] <tdonohue> DCAT Folks : definitely thanks for dropping by. I think this will be worthwhile discussion to have on a monthly basis -- though I'd also encourage us all to find ways to also have discussions via email & other tools (as there is so limited time in these meetings)
[20:18] <tdonohue> and DCAT folks are more than welcome to stick around & take part in the rest of the meeting (obviously)!
[20:19] <tdonohue> to clarify what helix84 was saying about testing -- Currently the demo.dspace.org server is still running 1.8.2 (I believe). So, I think he's talking about downloading & installing pre-3.0 separately from GitHub
[20:19] <hpottinger> A clear howto for testing pull requests would be a great thing to have, not just for DCAT members, can you distribute your document more widely than the DCAT list, helix84?
[20:19] <tdonohue> +1 to what hpottinger says!
[20:19] <mhwood> While more testers are always welcome, one thing I feel that we may not have a good grasp of is: what's important to the Installed Base? I think that DCAT may be able to help us understand that, so we can prioritize.
[20:19] <helix84> it's not what I had in mind, but yes, I can do that, too.
[20:21] <tdonohue> Ok. Should we move along to 3.0 topics & Feature Freeze specifically? (Sorry to rush things along, just looking at the time)
[20:21] <helix84> tdonohue: will there be an official server running the master branch during testathon?
[20:21] <sarah_molloy> Catch you next time folks, thanks for letting us drop in for the first part!
[20:22] <sands> tdonohue: sounds good. was an agenda discussed? should we track bold items on this: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+3.0+Tasks
[20:22] <kompewter> [ DSpace 3.0 Tasks - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+3.0+Tasks
[20:22] * sarah_molloy (56b4593b@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:22] <tdonohue> helix84 -- yes, we tend to use demo.dspace.org for the Testathon. But, someone will need to set up demo.dspace.org with the latest 3.0 code (as stated, it's running 1.8.2 right now)
[20:23] <tdonohue> sands: No specific agenda. I'm glad to hand the floor over to you & the Release Team. Obviously of highest priority is discussing those outstanding tasks & feature freeze
[20:23] <sands> I agree, we are tight on time and it would be great to ensure the unmerged items are discussed.
[20:24] <sands> (time to freeze that is)
[20:24] <helix84> I'd just like to say one thing regarding the "multivote draft" we were talking about last DevMtg. I think it failed because of lack of time before freeze, it just doesn't make sense at this time. What we need now is review each other's pull requests and be bold in merging them. But preparing my draft had one nice side-product - the 3.0 Tasks page (already linked before)
[20:24] <sands> Let's go through the bold items then, unless someone would like to do otherwise.
[20:25] <sands> The first we can skip, as it is post-freeze.
[20:25] <robint> good plan
[20:25] <tdonohue> Sounds good, sands (though I'll mention we likely could skip bug fixes in the essence of time)
[20:25] <sands> tdonohue, agreed. though mdiggory, can we clarify, will you be doing the work for the maven consolidation? is there a patch for that already?
[20:26] <sands> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1144
[20:26] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1144] Maven Project Consolidation - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1144
[20:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1144 ] - [#DS-1144] Maven Project Consolidation - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:26] <tdonohue> Maven consolidation is here: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/5 (But it cannot be merged as so much has changed since it was created...so some rework will be needed to finish the consolidation)
[20:26] <kompewter> [ Pull Request #5: [IN-PROCESS] [DS-1144] Maven Project Consolidation by mdiggory · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/5
[20:26] <helix84> you can see both Jira taska and pull requests (if they exist) in that table
[20:27] <mdiggory> tdonohue: yes... but I can't participate in this dialog right now.... I will followup on the details later... my appologies...
[20:27] <sands> no problem mdiggory.
[20:27] <sands> next on the list for non-bug fixes would be https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1226
[20:27] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1226] Batch import from basic bibliographic formats (Endnote, BibTex, RIS, TSV, CSV) - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1226
[20:27] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1226 ] - [#DS-1226] Batch import from basic bibliographic formats (Endnote, BibTex, RIS, TSV, CSV) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:28] <robint> I've been trying to push this along on behalf ok Kostas
[20:28] <helix84> seems robin gave it some testing - I think if he doesn't have serious concerns he should just merge
[20:28] <hpottinger> 1226 and 1224 are on my list to test, soon, I hope
[20:28] <robint> One question...
[20:29] <nhoussos> Regarding 1226, thanks Tim for your help on licensing issues - relicensing has been done (BSD New) so I think it is OK now (in terms of license)...
[20:29] <helix84> hpottinger: re Ds-1224 - we're skipping it for 3.0 because of licensing issues
[20:29] <robint> It makes use of Spring but does so directly ie. doesn't use dspace-services
[20:29] <tdonohue> nhoussos -- yep, licensing issues look fine with 1226. Thanks for your work on that as well!
[20:29] <robint> Is this an issue ?
[20:30] <sands> i don't see it as an issue, as i don't believe we are requiring use of dspace-services for contributions at this time. anyone else have a problem with this?
[20:31] <tdonohue> robint: I wouldn't think it should be. Though I haven't had a chance to look at the code. You could ping mdiggory about it later on...but, I'd be OK with just accepting it and cleaning it up to use dspace-services later if we felt it necessary
[20:31] <sands> tdonohue: agreed
[20:31] <robint> tdonohue: will do
[20:31] <sands> ok robint, sounds like this is on track?
[20:31] <sands> do we have a merge agreement unless there are any outstanding issues?
[20:32] <helix84> I see a lot of consensus for putting this in and continue testing after merging. No objections?
[20:32] <tdonohue> I do see we need to resolve the issue around BTE dependency not being in Maven. But, we could release it under 'org.dspace.' initially if we needed to do so, and clean that up later as well (once EKT has released it to Maven themselves)
[20:32] <tdonohue> I'm OK with it. no objection
[20:32] <sands> +1
[20:32] <helix84> robint: can you hit the merge button?
[20:33] <robint> helix84: couple of wee things to tidy first, but yes
[20:33] <helix84> robint: and assign the issue to yourself
[20:33] <helix84> thanks. next up is DS-1225
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1225 ] - [#DS-1225] Show display values for controlled vocabularies in Item Page - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:33] <sands> Great! Thanks robint
[20:33] <kstamatis> Actually, we are in action to import BTE in Maven Central
[20:33] <kstamatis> Hope we can do it on time
[20:34] <robint> kstamatis: I'm sure we will get there, I will email you tomorrow. Thanks
[20:34] <sands> kstamatis: if that is on track, i'm sure we can make it work.
[20:34] <mhwood> Plenty of time to tidy up such details between Feature Freeze and release, I think.
[20:34] <sands> helix, skipping https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1227 and the others there?
[20:34] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1227] Tag cloud for any browse index in the home page of DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1227
[20:34] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1227 ] - [#DS-1227] Tag cloud for any browse index in the home page of DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:35] <helix84> crap, sorry, let's do Ds-1227
[20:36] <sands> :)
[20:36] <sands> i can review the code on this one, but as far as merging if there are no issues, i'm fine with it. i'm assuming we default to "off" on this one for the release.
[20:36] <sands> unless someone else has reviewed it already?
[20:37] <helix84> seems like sands is a taker, may I assign it to you?
[20:37] <sands> just assigned
[20:37] <sands> :)
[20:37] <bollini> sorry, I'm against DS-1227
[20:37] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1227 ] - [#DS-1227] Tag cloud for any browse index in the home page of DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:37] <nhoussos> Just to let you know that tag cloud has been a feature will very good acceptance among our (EKT) users - many (at least non-technical people) seem to be impressed by this capability
[20:38] <helix84> bollini: acknowledged. can could you pls voice your concerns in Jira comments and we'll skip it for now, ok?
[20:38] <tdonohue> bollini: is there a reason why you are against it?
[20:38] <bollini> sorry... I have take the wrong jira issue
[20:38] <sands> ah, no problem.
[20:38] <sands> i'll review it.
[20:38] <robint> Re DS-1227 - I note the new classes are not in org.dspace packages
[20:39] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1227 ] - [#DS-1227] Tag cloud for any browse index in the home page of DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:39] <mhwood> Would be interested to hear, offline, what people *do* with tag clouds.
[20:39] <robint> They are in gr.ekt.utils.*
[20:39] <nhoussos> Moving classes to org.dspace. is, of course, not a problem for us - should not be an issue
[20:39] <robint> Would they need to be refactored ?
[20:40] <sands> nhoussos, thanks. would you update the pull request?
[20:40] <tdonohue> yes, all classes must be org.dspace -- so, they'd need refactoring
[20:40] <tdonohue> (this is the same for all the EKT pull requests -- I think most/all need refactoring to have org.dspace package)
[20:41] <helix84> the pull requests come from the EKT repository, so they can just refactor in their respective branches and the pull requests will be updated automatically
[20:41] <robint> Other than that its looks fine to me.
[20:41] <nhoussos> sands - no problem, we will update the pull requests
[20:41] <tdonohue> I'm ok with it assuming it comes with some JSPUI documentation
[20:42] <kstamatis> We will update the packages to org.dspace for DS-1227. Tommorow the pull request will be updates as well!
[20:42] <helix84> robint: are you interested in taking Ds-1227?
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1227 ] - [#DS-1227] Tag cloud for any browse index in the home page of DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:42] <robint> I won't have the time unfortunately
[20:42] <tdonohue> I think sands already said he'd do Ds-1227?
[20:42] <sands> yup
[20:43] <sands> already assigned
[20:43] <sands> Next on the list is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1228
[20:43] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1228] Concatenate values of multi-value fields in item display - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1228
[20:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1228 ] - [#DS-1228] Concatenate values of multi-value fields in item display - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:43] <nhoussos> tdonohue - JSPUI documentation is available for DS-1227
[20:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1227 ] - [#DS-1227] Tag cloud for any browse index in the home page of DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:43] <sands> This is JSPUI
[20:44] <sands> Any opposition? Seems straightforward.
[20:44] <bollini> this was the issue that I'm against
[20:44] <bollini> I can comment in jira
[20:45] <helix84> yes, in the sake of time, let's move on to issues that don't have opposition
[20:45] <bollini> but essentially the problem is that itemtag is already messy and we are putting more and more if statement (DS-1227, DS-1225)
[20:45] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1227 ] - [#DS-1227] Tag cloud for any browse index in the home page of DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:45] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1225 ] - [#DS-1225] Show display values for controlled vocabularies in Item Page - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:45] <bollini> we can refactor the code to use "plugin", I can supply a patch in this way but not in time for the feature freaze
[20:47] * bram-atmire (~bram@94-225-98-6.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: need to go, was a pleasure)
[20:47] <sands> Next: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1236
[20:47] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1236] Auto update advance search drop down lists from configuration file - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1236
[20:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1236 ] - [#DS-1236] Auto update advance search drop down lists from configuration file - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:47] <bollini> sorry, still referring to DS-1227 instead of DS-1228... go ahead
[20:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1227 ] - [#DS-1227] Tag cloud for any browse index in the home page of DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1228 ] - [#DS-1228] Concatenate values of multi-value fields in item display - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:48] <sands> This is another JSPUI modification. Seems pretty cool. Interested in how performant it is with large sets of values.
[20:49] <sands> Anyone interested in testing this one? There has been no discussion on the JIRA ticket.
[20:49] * tdonohue notes I'm starting to get worried about the number of new JSPUI-specific configs we are generating in dspace.cfg (in all of these recent issues). Beginning to point to the need for a jspui.cfg?
[20:49] <kstamatis> sands: it refers only to the search indices drop down lists
[20:50] <bollini> we have 3 improvements for the "legacy" JSPUI search (DS-1236, DS-1237 and DS-1238) we need to think about how to test these (or the JSPUI discovery porting)
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1236 ] - [#DS-1236] Auto update advance search drop down lists from configuration file - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:50] <kstamatis> search indices lists are hardcoded to jsp files... need to be automatically updates according to the search indices from dspace.cfg
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1237 ] - [#DS-1237] Support date ranges in advance search - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1238 ] - [#DS-1238] Display advance search form after an advance search - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:51] <mhwood> Ah, "too much code in JSPs." Yes.
[20:51] <bollini> I can review (and merge) DS-1236
[20:51] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1236 ] - [#DS-1236] Auto update advance search drop down lists from configuration file - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:52] <tdonohue> I'm OK with Ds-1236 if we rename those new configs to be something like "jspui.search.index.display" or "webui.search.index.display", and move them to the section of the dspace.cfg file that is marked "JSPUI Only Configurations"
[20:52] <helix84> thanks, andrea, I assigned 1236 to you
[20:52] <tdonohue> My worry here is that we are starting to put JSPUI-specific configs *all over* the dspace.cfg file....they need to *ONLY* be in the "JSPUI Specific Configurations" section
[20:53] <helix84> tdonohue: do you think this is an issue we have time adressing in time for 3.0?
[20:53] <kstamatis> tdonohue: no problem,,, I am going to update the pull request
[20:53] <mhwood> Maybe a few words in the wiki on "how to name configuration properties"?
[20:53] <tdonohue> yep -- it's fixable easily, just noting it's an issue. Thanks kstamatis
[20:54] <tdonohue> mhwood -- yea, probably a good idea, I just don't have time to get to it in near future. But, if someone else does, feel free
[20:54] <tdonohue> sorry...we can move on now, if others are OK with Ds-1236
[20:55] <helix84> next up: DS-1237
[20:55] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1237 ] - [#DS-1237] Support date ranges in advance search - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:56] <helix84> no comments from reviewers so far, no assignee
[20:56] <kstamatis> for ds-1237 you can see a demo here http://phdtheses.ekt.gr/eadd/advanced-search
[20:56] <kompewter> [ National Archive of PhD Theses: Advanced Search ] - http://phdtheses.ekt.gr/eadd/advanced-search
[20:56] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/ds-1237 ] - [#DS-1237] Support date ranges in advance search - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:56] <tdonohue> Same comments on Ds-1237 -- configs need to be named differently (prefixed with "webui" or "jspui") and moved to the "JSPUI Specific Configurations" section of dspace.cfg. Beyond that, I have no objections
[20:57] <helix84> kstamatis: it's great that there's a demo, I'll mention this to DCAT
[20:57] <helix84> kstamatis: do yo have a demo for any other features?
[20:57] <kstamatis> helix84: most of our jira tickets have demo url (working in production, however)
[20:57] <bollini> I can add comments tomorrow (as it is now, -1)
[20:57] <nhoussos> helix84 - all features are in public production installations of DSpace
[20:58] * robint_ (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:58] <bollini> my concerns are related to the jspui-api code - not backward compatible
[21:00] <tdonohue> OK, I think it's rather obvious we're not going to get through all of these (unfortunately) -- there's a good 15-20 bolded items left... How do we want to move forward here? Are we still "freezing" on Fri? Do we want to call a vote on email & push back the freeze (and all other dates)?
[21:01] <kstamatis> bollini: add your comments please to the jira issues and we will try to see the problems and, why not, fix them
[21:01] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:01] <nhoussos> Andrea - many thanks for your feedback, we would welcome more details on JIRA
[21:01] <bollini> ok, I will review the DS-1237 and hopefully merge if all issues will be resolved
[21:01] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1237 ] - [#DS-1237] Support date ranges in advance search - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:02] <mhwood> Email, and do as many as get voted on?
[21:02] <sands> Is anyone concerned with a particular pull request that has not been discussed yet? Do we have reason to push the schedule back to provide more room for discussion?
[21:02] <helix84> personally, i'd be glad to see another week for review, since we have so much great new stuff ready, it would be pity to delay it for a yea
[21:02] <helix84> *yaer
[21:02] <helix84> *year
[21:03] <sands> helix i'd be ok with that personally. we did get many more submissions in the past couple weeks. anyone else?
[21:03] <helix84> seems like Andrea is really interested in the EKT issues. Andrea: would another week allow you to address them?
[21:03] <robint_> sands: As long as you are ok with a delay thats fine by me
[21:03] <bollini> Ok, I can take also DS-1238
[21:03] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1238 ] - [#DS-1238] Display advance search form after an advance search - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:04] <tdonohue> I'm fine with pushing back..BUT, we need to call a public vote (either via Email or by using the JIRA "vote" feature). Pushing back a week doesn't do any good if we just wait till next week to discuss these tickets again :)
[21:04] * vhollister (440e1fe6@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:04] <mhwood> Maybe the thing to freeze is new 3.0 submissions, then let the list dwindle as votes are held.
[21:04] <helix84> tdonohue: I have the multivote draft ready, I'll just update it
[21:04] <hpottinger> mhwood +1 pull request freeze :-)
[21:04] <helix84> mhwood: those have been frozen for almost 2 weeks now
[21:05] <mhwood> Someone said we got more?
[21:05] <tdonohue> we already are under 3.0 Submission freeze...that was the "Code Submission Freeze" on Aug 24 https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.0+Notes#DSpaceRelease3.0Notes-TimelineandProcessing
[21:05] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 3.0 Notes - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.0+Notes#DSpaceRelease3.0Notes-TimelineandProcessing
[21:05] <helix84> my table contains just pull requests we got until the Feature/Code Submission Deadline
[21:06] <tdonohue> Anything that has been posted since Aug 24 is automatically "out" for 3.0, unless we want to make an exception for it.
[21:06] <helix84> we did get some after, but they're not in the table and not in consideration for 3.0
[21:06] <tdonohue> (Or unless it's a bug fix -- obviously we are still accepting bug-fixes)
[21:06] <mhwood> OK, reading that, we need to get votes out and tallied by Friday.
[21:07] <helix84> is everyone fine with finishing voting by Friday?
[21:07] <tdonohue> yea, votes need to get out & tallied ASAP -- cause even after the votes, we'll still likely need to gather some volunteers to commit the code
[21:07] <helix84> exactly
[21:08] <hpottinger> can we do voting and volunteering concurrently?
[21:08] <helix84> hpottinger: sure
[21:08] <helix84> I'll update my draft and call the multivote tonight
[21:08] <tdonohue> finish voting by say 23:59UTC on Fri. (i.e. end of day Fri)
[21:08] <tdonohue> yep, I think we can ask for volunteers at the same time...just not sure that we'll end up with all the volunteers we may need (though hopefully we will!)
[21:09] <sands> helix: thanks for all your work on that page!
[21:09] <sands> very helpful.
[21:09] * tdonohue NOTE: I'm out-of-office next week -- bad timing, I know. We have a DuraSpace All Staff Meeting from Sept 10-13. I'll be on Email occasionally, but will miss next week's Devel Mtg
[21:09] <helix84> sands: yea, seems very helpful, I'd like to make it autogenerated somehow for 4.0
[21:09] <hpottinger> fair warning, RT will come looking for volunteers if there are any blank slots on the tasks list
[21:09] * tdonohue NOTE #2: We need a volunteer to lead next week's mtg :)
[21:10] * helix84 points finger at sands
[21:10] <tdonohue> hpottinger +1 Yep, that is to be expected. Do your thing, RT!
[21:10] <sands> NOTE 2: I'm out of the office the 13th and 14th. (very bad timing, unavoidable, apologies)
[21:11] <sands> Might be able to make the meeting and lead depending on internet availability
[21:11] <robint_> I'm also unavailable next week, sorry
[21:11] <helix84> I'll most likely be there so I can be a backup
[21:11] <tdonohue> Ok, sounds like we need a "backup" for sands then, or an alternate? Anyone care to lead next weeks meeting? Obviously it's 3.0 specific
[21:11] <tdonohue> ok. cool, thanks helix84 :)
[21:11] * hpottinger observes that the only requirement for being on the RT is volunteering, and doing the work... and thus, helix84 should be recognized as a member
[21:12] <sands> If possibly, I'd be happy to. Helix, looks like you're it if I'm not able to get online. Thank you very much.
[21:12] <tdonohue> +1 hpottinger. add helix84 to the list of RT members!
[21:12] <robint_> +1
[21:12] <sands> +1 if he wants that. ;)
[21:13] <robint_> Too late to back out now :)
[21:13] <hpottinger> want it, not want it, he's doing the job :-)
[21:13] <helix84> thanks. i humbly accept.
[21:13] * helix84 rolls up his sleeves
[21:13] <tdonohue> If anyone else finds that they have some extra time to volunteer, honestly please speak up now or contact the RT.... They won't try and rope you into the RT though, but I'm sure we can all use the help if you have a few extra cycles
[21:14] <tdonohue> (that message also goes the same for folks who may not be committers but are listening in -- you are more than welcome to help in the review / testing / voting process, etc. of these various features. You will get recognized for your contributions!)
[21:14] <hpottinger> tdonohue: +1, especially if there's a pull request you feel strongly about... in the old days, people would just pick these things up and commit them... Git seems to have made us more wary...
[21:15] <sands> Thanks everyone for all the great work on this! I have to bow out now. See you out there on the net!
[21:15] * hpottinger has to go to, bye all!
[21:15] * sands (~sandsfish@ Quit (Quit: sands)
[21:15] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:15] <mhwood> Likewise, I have to leave. 'bye!
[21:16] <helix84> BTW I'm looking for volunteers to review my simple pull requests - DS-1193, DS-1078 - it's not much work, I promise!
[21:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1193 ] - [#DS-1193] display bitstream read access permissions on item page - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1078 ] - [#DS-1078] Assign users in LDAP group to DSpace group on login - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:16] <tdonohue> Thanks all...I think that's the end of the "formal meeting" for today. Feel free to stick around if you have more to discussion, but also you are more than welcome to head out if need be.
[21:16] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:16] <helix84> a minute too late! damn you, I'll just merge them! :D
[21:16] <robint_> helix84: drop me an email to remind me and I'll have a look tomorrow, cheers
[21:17] <helix84> robint_: thanks a bunch
[21:17] <robint_> Time to duck out, cheers all
[21:17] * robint_ (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:18] <nhoussos> Bye all!
[21:19] * kstamatis (2ebe5a0f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[21:19] <bollini> need to leave, bye
[21:19] * nhoussos (5548dbdc@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[21:19] * bollini (~chatzilla@ Quit (Quit: ChatZilla [Firefox 15.0/20120824154833])
[21:23] <helix84> tdonohue: which mailing list should I send the multivote to? I'd say -commit, because not everyone might be watching all -devel emails.
[21:24] <tdonohue> I'd say -devel to be honest. I think this should be more public vote than -commit. You are welcome to post a brief note to -commit telling people to go vote on -devel.
[21:56] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.