#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2013-01-23

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:22] * jonathangee (~jonathang@blk-142-16-43.eastlink.ca) has joined #duraspace
[1:22] * jonathangee (~jonathang@blk-142-16-43.eastlink.ca) Quit (Quit: jonathangee)
[6:52] -zelazny.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:52] -zelazny.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:52] -zelazny.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:52] -zelazny.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:52] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:52] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:52] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[12:43] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ has joined #duraspace
[12:57] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ Quit (Quit: jonathangee)
[12:58] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ has joined #duraspace
[13:12] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:40] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:57] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ Quit (Quit: jonathangee)
[14:35] * bodik (~bodik@bodik.zcu.cz) has joined #duraspace
[14:35] <bodik> hi anyone alive ?
[14:36] <bodik> we need a bit help with dspace and shibboleth
[14:36] <bodik> pls
[14:45] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ has joined #duraspace
[15:41] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[15:42] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ has joined #duraspace
[15:43] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[15:43] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ has joined #duraspace
[15:46] * bodik (~bodik@bodik.zcu.cz) has left #duraspace
[17:57] * helix84 (~a@ has joined #duraspace
[19:21] * PeterDietz (~peterdiet@ has joined #duraspace
[19:33] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:54] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C154B1.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all...it's time for our weekly DSpace Devel Mtg. Agenda at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-01-23
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2013-01-23 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-01-23
[20:02] <tdonohue> Before we get started, just a note that I have a mtg immediately after this one (today is full of them). So, I'll be leaving at 21:00 UTC sharp today
[20:02] <tdonohue> So, we'll try and get through what we can in our hour
[20:02] <tdonohue> First up, Any more updates / things to discuss on 3.0 / 3.1?
[20:03] <tdonohue> If I'm not mistaken, was our Oracle bug squashed? (DS-1435) If so, I wonder if we should start to think about a 3.1 release
[20:03] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1435 ] - [#DS-1435] DSpace 3.0 Oracle compatibility - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:04] <mhwood> hpottinger had to walk away for a moment.
[20:04] <hpottinger> sorry, I wandered off, just got back, but, yes, as far as I can tell, we've squashed that bug good
[20:05] <hpottinger> pull 171 is merged to master, and helix84 merged it to 3x
[20:05] <tdonohue> excellent..yea, I wanted to verify that... I noticed Ds-1435 was still open, so I wasn't sure if Pull #171 was a successful squash or not (https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/171)
[20:05] <helix84> we also piled up some translations, so we may do langpacks release soon, too (regardless of 3.1)
[20:06] <helix84> was that the only oracle bug left?
[20:06] <tdonohue> I believe so.. (waiting on hpottinger to verify)
[20:07] <hpottinger> yes, that's the only Oracle bug that I know of
[20:07] <hpottinger> I am moving forward with our upgrade testing
[20:07] <tdonohue> So, in my opinion, that sounds like something worth pushing out a 3.1 for. We now have Oracle Compatibility
[20:07] <tdonohue> thoughts? other opinions?
[20:08] <helix84> i still haven't fixed some UI bugs I have assigned. can I take the weekend to look at them again?
[20:08] <mhwood> It's a minority concern, but an important one, and rather urgent.
[20:08] <hpottinger> +1 for 3.1
[20:09] <tdonohue> helix84 -- I'm just suggesting we *schedule* 3.1. Not saying we need to do it this week.
[20:09] <mhwood> Would have liked to have the CSV library refit in 3.1 as well.
[20:09] <KevinVdV> I will attempt to do the csv thing tomorrow
[20:09] <helix84> kevin assigned the CSV to himself, but there is also the more urgent one with "more like this" not working at all
[20:09] <hpottinger> mhwood, do you have the issue number for that CSV library?
[20:09] <mhwood> Thank you KevinVdV!
[20:10] <helix84> (kevin has that one, too, but I believe he can't budge with it)
[20:10] <KevinVdV> More like this though ......
[20:10] <KevinVdV> I just need more hours in a day
[20:10] <helix84> IMHO priority(more like this) > priority(CSV)
[20:11] <tdonohue> CSV ticket is DS-1407
[20:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1407 ] - [#DS-1407] Refactor SOLR Statistics to use OpenCSV or Apache Commons CSV - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:11] <tdonohue> I'd agree that it'd be nice to get in the CSV replacement too, if we can. We really shouldn't keep around an incompatible dependency much longer
[20:12] <hpottinger> (for the record, I just closed 1435)
[20:12] <helix84> OTOH, the Oracle thing is critical, so I suggest we set a date and see what else can make it
[20:12] <KevinVdV> I agree on the csv thing, I think I can fix that one fairly quickly
[20:12] <tdonohue> KevinVdV : good to know
[20:13] <hpottinger> 3.1 doesn't mean we can't push out a 3.2 if we need
[20:13] <tdonohue> Ok, so regarding 3.1 then...it sounds like we are in general agreement that we should set a date. Two questions remain: who (will cut the release)? when (do we schedule it for)?
[20:13] <KevinVdV> The more like this, I can't make any promisses
[20:14] <helix84> i'd like to get my feet wet with a langpack release before I volunteer on a dspace release
[20:14] <hpottinger> I don't mind pulling the release lever again
[20:14] <tdonohue> We can push out as many bug-fix releases as needed... 3.1 is definitely necessary. But, we can also do a 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, etc....however many we need. So, if some things (e.g. "more like this") need to wait for 3.2, that's not a big deal
[20:15] <tdonohue> ok, so we have a 3.1 volunteer in hpottinger. When do we want to schedule it for? Sounds like we at least want to wait till sometime next week (to let a few more small things possibly get in)
[20:15] <tdonohue> (oh and thanks, hpottinger!)
[20:16] <helix84> hip hip hooray hpottinger!
[20:16] <mhwood> [Applause]
[20:16] <KevinVdV> +1 for the hip hip
[20:16] <tdonohue> As for the date: we could say, e.g. Thurs, Jan 31. or Fri, Feb 1...or even say "early the week of Feb 4"
[20:17] <hpottinger> lol, it's no big thing, really, and it needs doing
[20:18] <hpottinger> maybe Wed 1/30?
[20:18] <helix84> meanwhile, I'd like to urge everyone to take a look at the list of bugs targetted at 3.1 to see if you can still fix something (especially the unassigned ones): https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.1%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[20:18] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.1%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[20:18] <mhwood> That gives a week for more stuff to land. Sounds good.
[20:18] <tdonohue> Sure, Weds 1/30 is fine by me
[20:19] <hpottinger> 1/31 and on my schedule goes nuts
[20:19] <tdonohue> ok, 1/30 it is then :)
[20:19] <helix84> nice way to avoid the backlash, hardy ;)
[20:20] <hpottinger> 1/30, it'll have to be early, as schedule craziness starts 1/30 afternoon
[20:20] <tdonohue> One last note...we will need to do an announcement of 3.1 & post up a 3.1 Release Notes page. But, we likely can just copy some of that from the 1.8.2 announcement http://www.mail-archive.com/dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net/msg16318.html
[20:20] <kompewter> [ [Dspace-tech] DSpace 1.8.2 Released - provides bug fixes to 1.8.x platform ] - http://www.mail-archive.com/dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net/msg16318.html
[20:21] <tdonohue> hpottinger : In that case, we likely should say...Get any final changes in by end-of-day 1/29. As the release will be cut very early on 1/30
[20:23] <hpottinger> sounds good, tdonohue, 9am-ish CST (15:00 UTC)
[20:23] <tdonohue> Oh...we already have a 3.1 release notes page :) https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.1+Notes We'll just need to write up a brief announcement then to send out once everything is in Maven Central
[20:24] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 3.1 Notes - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.1+Notes
[20:24] <tdonohue> hpottinger : sounds good
[20:25] <tdonohue> Ok. Sounds like we have a plan then
[20:26] <tdonohue> If anyone has questions / concerns pop up, get in touch via dspace-devel or dspace-commit...and others can chip in as needed
[20:26] <hpottinger> any volunteers to send the note?
[20:26] <helix84> i'll compile the list of things fixed
[20:27] <tdonohue> Well, once we have the list of things fixed, you can almost just slightly tweak this simple email (change the links & list...minor text tweaks): http://www.mail-archive.com/dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net/msg16318.html
[20:27] <kompewter> [ [Dspace-tech] DSpace 1.8.2 Released - provides bug fixes to 1.8.x platform ] - http://www.mail-archive.com/dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net/msg16318.html
[20:28] <tdonohue> I'd prefer that someone from the Release Team send it out...but, if needed, I can do so. Can also bring this to dspace-release list -- someone should probably mention this release schedule there anyways
[20:28] <helix84> yes. if i'm too busy to send it after release, i'll send it to tim or hardy beforehand
[20:28] <helix84> no problem
[20:29] <tdonohue> Ok...so, I think that's it for this topic (unless there's any last questions)
[20:29] * helix84 askes his last question: does the dog bite?
[20:29] <tdonohue> :)
[20:30] <tdonohue> Ok...moving on then. As mentioned (a few weeks back now), it'd be good to start getting some feedback to Joao on the DAO work he's started, and also get some others involved (or at least determine who is interested & willing to help, even if they don't have time in the immediate future)
[20:30] <tdonohue> See also DS-1438
[20:30] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1438 ] - [#DS-1438] DAO implementation - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:31] <tdonohue> and https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/161
[20:31] <kompewter> [ DAO Implementation (Status: 50%) - Community help requested by lyncodev · Pull Request #161 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/161
[20:31] <hpottinger> I'm interested, have glanced at the code, that's about it
[20:32] <mhwood> Every time I start, I run smack into "why smoosh Services into API" and never get to the code.
[20:33] <helix84> mhwood: I think Joao asks himself the opposite question, why don't you contact him and help clear it out?
[20:33] <tdonohue> So, I'll admit, I'm in the same boat as hpottinger. I personally think the idea of DAO's is much needed. Joao's work so far looks reasonable to me...but, I wish I had some more time to help / dig deeper
[20:33] <tdonohue> mhwood - yea, I wonder that too
[20:34] <tdonohue> robint did ask that question: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/161#issuecomment-11957718
[20:34] <kompewter> [ DAO Implementation (Status: 50%) - Community help requested by lyncodev · Pull Request #161 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/161#issuecomment-11957718
[20:34] <tdonohue> (actually discussion starts in comments above the one I linked)
[20:35] <hpottinger> yes, I read the discussion and wondered a bit, but then just started browsing the code instead, and looked around for more details on the help Joao wanted... that's as far as my skimming has taken me so far...
[20:36] <mhwood> If we want to tuck Services into API then it should be a separate issue. But I need to get beyond that and come back to it later, since it should be a separate issue. :-/
[20:36] <helix84> hpottinger: as I understand it, Joao is asking for help with implementing some methods that are for now only stubs
[20:38] <tdonohue> Yea, it is hard to determine where to help out (in little pieces), without having to dig in really deeply.
[20:39] <tdonohue> Maybe we need to list out what classes (or entire packages) need updating? I'm assuming there's many out there..it's just a matter of trying to detail which ones need help, and then maybe individuals can chip in my doing a class or two (or a whole package) when they get the time.
[20:39] <helix84> what I meant was porting all code to use the new DAOs - shouldn't be too hard, and everyone will have to learn to work with it if this gets merged
[20:39] <hpottinger> what would be cool would be a writeup of the work so far, and a list of what needs doing... tell the story of this code
[20:40] <tdonohue> I'm also curious about hearing mdiggory's opinion on these directions -- just because he's been so highly involved in dspace-services & past DAO stuff (which failed to ever be merged in).
[20:40] <mhwood> +1
[20:41] <tdonohue> (I know that may be asking a bit though...mdiggory seems busy these days...but, I guess I could always send him an email to see if he has a chance to look at it)
[20:43] <tdonohue> So, it sounds like...overall, most of us like the "idea of DAO" & want to support Joao's work. However, there's some confusion as to what is left to do, and how to help (cause we almost need more documentation or a wiki page providing the "story of the code") and even why some things are necessary (adding dspace-services to dspace-api).
[20:44] <tdonohue> I know that's probably not the best "status". But, it seems like that's where we all currently sit with regards to this work
[20:45] <mhwood> Yes, that sounds right.
[20:46] <tdonohue> So, I think the next steps include:
[20:46] <tdonohue> 1. Directly ping others for their opinions (e.g. mdiggory -- I'll send him an email to see if he has time to look at it)
[20:46] <helix84> mhwood: will you talk to joao about services in api? he's on Skype every day.
[20:46] <hpottinger> +1 summary by tdonohue, and +1 to the idea of pinging mdiggory about this
[20:47] <mhwood> I can, but I'm unsure of the ground here. It seems that Services is separate for a reason but I can't quite articulate it. So I'm probably not ready to start such a discussion.
[20:47] <tdonohue> 2. Ask Joao to give us some more info, if he can, on what is left to do, and how we can best help. It'd be nice to get some sample code changes, or more docs on what sorts of things we need to change / look for. Also be nice to get a list of classes/packages/modules to work from
[20:48] <helix84> mhwood: i sent you his Skype handle on Skype
[20:51] <tdonohue> Ok. So, I think that's it for today in terms of official topics. Anyone have anything else to discuss?
[20:52] <mhwood> When an issue is ready for review, how to proceed. Especially when the submitter and the developer are the same person.
[20:52] <helix84> for the next DevMtg, we should have a list of Jira issues ready that are waiting to be discussed by developers (the dev-discussion-needed label I created today)
[20:54] <hpottinger> mhwood: I'd say the developer can buttonhole a reviewer
[20:54] <tdonohue> mhwood -- when an issue is "ready for review", I think there's a few ways we could proceed. We could bring those tickets to our weekly meeting. We could ask for a reviewer to volunteer on dspace-devel
[20:54] <helix84> mhwood: what I do is try to get at least 1 review and if it's positive, I merge (well I do only small code changes)
[20:55] <tdonohue> it likely depends on the ticket. If it just needs one more set of eyes, see if you can target a reviewer or ask for one on dspace-devel. If it needs widespread approval, we should bring it to this mtg or call a vote somewhere
[20:56] <mhwood> The question is: get a review from whom? If A submits an issue and B works on it, then A would be a good reviewer. If B submits an issue to document that it existed and he's working on it, how to find a reviewer?
[20:56] <helix84> why not ask on -devel?
[20:56] <tdonohue> mhwood -- in that latter scenario, you just ask for one. Add a comment to the JIRA ticket that it needs a review (which will auto-send an email to -devel), or just email -devel directly
[20:57] <hpottinger> mhwood, and everyone else for that matter, feel free to ask me directly for review, I'm happy to help
[20:57] * tdonohue notes I'm gonna have to head into "lurking" now. Need to pop over to another mtg shortly
[20:57] <mhwood> OK. IIRC to advance to "needs code review" a reviewer must be named, which had me a little befuddled.
[20:57] <helix84> recent example: http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/Dissemination-Crosswalks-tp4661291p4661329.html
[20:58] <kompewter> [ DSpace - Devel - Dissemination Crosswalks ] - http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/Dissemination-Crosswalks-tp4661291p4661329.html
[20:58] <tdonohue> mhwood -- oh, if that's the case, we might have a "bug" in the workflow. It shouldn't require a reviewer to advance to "needs code review"
[20:59] <helix84> mhwood: I don't think Jira requires that, but now you seeded some doubts into my thinking
[20:59] <mhwood> I didn't actually try hitting OK with no reviewer.
[20:59] <KevinVdV> Needs to run until next week
[21:00] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C154B1.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[21:00] <mhwood> I'll explore this some more.
[21:00] <helix84> mhwood: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1422
[21:00] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1422] Duplicate Headers when bitstream has a comma in the title (Chrome) - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1422
[21:00] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1422 ] - [#DS-1422] Duplicate Headers when bitstream has a comma in the title (Chrome) - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:00] <helix84> mhwood: see? no reviewer
[21:01] * tdonohue = lurking now. Feel free to continue discussions though, I can always catch up later
[21:01] <mhwood> I see.
[21:03] <hpottinger> I'd just like to say, for the record, thanks to everyone who worked on a fix for DS-1435, including tdonohue for help with general bug hunting tactics, Andrea for her willingness to set up an Oracle DB, and then write a howto for everyone, and helix84 for backporting the bug fix (and also PeterDietz for putting up with my incessant nagging for help on backporting with Git).
[21:03] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1435 ] - [#DS-1435] DSpace 3.0 Oracle compatibility - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:04] <helix84> mhwood: if you have time to review something, here's the list: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+status+%3D+%22Code+Review+Needed%22
[21:04] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+status+%3D+%22Code+Review+Needed%22
[21:07] <helix84> mhwood: Joao just came online on Skype
[21:30] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ Quit (Quit: jonathangee)
[21:46] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ has joined #duraspace
[21:52] * jonathangee (~jonathang@ Quit (Quit: jonathangee)
[22:02] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Later, taterz!)
[22:16] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[23:03] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:59] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.