#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2013-05-01

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:03] * ksclarke (~kevin@pdpc/supporter/active/ksclarke) has joined #duraspace
[1:29] * ksclarke1 (~kevin@24-241-4-152.dhcp.buft.sc.charter.com) has joined #duraspace
[1:29] * ksclarke (~kevin@pdpc/supporter/active/ksclarke) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[2:01] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[2:03] * eddies (~eddies@cm107.eta98.maxonline.com.sg) has joined #duraspace
[2:03] * eddies (~eddies@cm107.eta98.maxonline.com.sg) Quit (Changing host)
[2:03] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[2:08] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Client Quit)
[4:34] * ksclarke1 (~kevin@24-241-4-152.dhcp.buft.sc.charter.com) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[6:50] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:50] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:50] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:50] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:50] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:50] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:50] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[10:30] * eddies (~eddies@cm107.eta98.maxonline.com.sg) has joined #duraspace
[10:30] * eddies (~eddies@cm107.eta98.maxonline.com.sg) Quit (Changing host)
[10:30] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[12:29] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:40] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:21] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:24] * ksclarke (~kevin@pdpc/supporter/active/ksclarke) has joined #duraspace
[14:12] * ksclarke (~kevin@pdpc/supporter/active/ksclarke) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[14:13] * ksclarke (~kevin@pdpc/supporter/active/ksclarke) has joined #duraspace
[14:28] * ajs6f (~ajs6f@d-137-155-211.bootp.Virginia.EDU) has joined #duraspace
[14:28] * ajs6f (~ajs6f@d-137-155-211.bootp.Virginia.EDU) has left #duraspace
[18:59] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:31] * jonathangee (~jonathang@blk-222-249-31.eastlink.ca) has left #duraspace
[19:36] * l_a_p (~chatzilla@ has joined #duraspace
[19:45] * helix84 (~a@ip4-95-82-147-170.cust.nbox.cz) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's now time for our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting. Today's agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-05-01
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2013-05-01 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-05-01
[20:02] <tdonohue> we'll start off with some Pull Request reviews (oldest first): https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?direction=asc&page=1&sort=created&state=open
[20:02] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?direction=asc&page=1&sort=created&state=open
[20:02] <tdonohue> We left off last week with #78. So we'll start today with #94: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/94
[20:02] <kompewter> [ DS-1278 add a link to More Submissions at the bottom of Recent Submissio... by ottenhoff · Pull Request #94 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/94
[20:03] <tdonohue> related to DS-1278
[20:03] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1278 ] - [#DS-1278] Provide a link to More Submissions at the bottom of Recent Submissions - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:03] * bollini (~chatzilla@host246-235-dynamic.12-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has joined #duraspace
[20:05] <tdonohue> I, personally, don't mind this PR, as long as it's fixed so that clicking "More.." shows you more recent submissions sorted by *date* (and not by title)
[20:06] <tdonohue> although...wait...we don't have a "by submission date" view. Whoops.
[20:06] <bollini> it is configuration dependent
[20:07] * robint (522a6b02@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:07] <robint> hi all
[20:07] <helix84> well, i think my opinion i sclear from the comments, i would only like to add that Kevin assigned my suggestion (DS-1188) to himself, so I hope we can solve this more elegantly. I can prod him next time I see him.
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1188 ] - [#DS-1188] collection view doesn&#39;t show content by default - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:08] <bollini> when discovery is disabled we have: recent.submissions.sort-option = dateaccessioned
[20:09] <tdonohue> So, I'm a bit confused on what we are suggesting with regards to Pull #94 / Ds-1278. Are we just saying it's going to be resolved by Ds-1188 (and going to ask KevinVdV about that)?
[20:10] <helix84> Andrea, would you be interested in looking into solving Ds-1188 for JPSUI?
[20:10] <helix84> tdonohue: yes, that's what I'm suggesting. I don't really mind Ds-1278 as an interim/partial solution, I just think we have a bigger problem here.
[20:10] <bollini> helix84: yes I can look to DS-1188 for 4.0
[20:10] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1188 ] - [#DS-1188] collection view doesn&#39;t show content by default - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:11] <helix84> bollini: I'd love you for that, I think it's the biggeswt bug DSpace has
[20:13] <tdonohue> Ok. I've marked Ds-1188 for 4.0. changed Ds-1278 to be "addressed by" Ds-1188
[20:13] <bollini> not sure that ds-1188 solve ds-1278 ... recent submissions are shown also in the IR home page
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/ds-1188 ] - [#DS-1188] collection view doesn&#39;t show content by default - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/ds-1278 ] - [#DS-1278] Provide a link to More Submissions at the bottom of Recent Submissions - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:14] <helix84> bollini: good point. but we still need the "by date issued" view first
[20:14] <helix84> s/date issued/date accessioned/
[20:14] <kompewter> helix84 meant to say: bollini: good point. but we still need the "by date accessioned" view first
[20:14] <bollini> date issue is different than date accessioned
[20:14] <bollini> ok
[20:16] <tdonohue> Ok. sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna paste this transcript into Ds-1278 shortly
[20:17] <tdonohue> Let's go ahead and do one more PR for today. #103: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/103 (and DS-1336)
[20:17] <kompewter> [ [DS-1336] Creative Commons Locale by helix84 · Pull Request #103 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/103
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1336 ] - [#DS-1336] Creative Commons Locale - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:18] <tdonohue> so, it *sounds like* this just needs more eyes on it?
[20:18] <helix84> well, 3 people tested and approved it, including Andrea Schweer
[20:18] <helix84> I'd merge it
[20:19] <tdonohue> ok. Yea, it sounds like it has approval to me then too. You have two committers & another dev. So, I'd say merge it. The only question is whether it is good for 3.2 or should wait for 4.0?
[20:20] <helix84> it's a new feature
[20:20] <mhwood> 4.0 then
[20:20] <tdonohue> yea, just realizing it adds a new config to dspace.cfg. So, it should be 4.0
[20:21] <tdonohue> I switched the ticket to be marked for 4.0 and assigned to helix84. Feel free to merge & close, helix84 when you get a chance
[20:21] <helix84> ok, i'll squash and merge
[20:21] <helix84> the last comment there is not so much related to this issue, but raises a good point: "how can I get the locale variable of language session in XMLUI which store the selected interface language like "sessionLocale" variable in JSPUI ?"
[20:21] <tdonohue> sounds good!
[20:21] <helix84> the answer is it's not possible ATM
[20:22] <tdonohue> that idea/concept should be moved into it's own ticket, if there's a good use case, etc.
[20:23] <helix84> yes, there is - if you need to have anything in your XSLT displayed differently depending on the currently selected language (text, images, ...)
[20:24] <tdonohue> ok. feel free to open a new ticket around it then, and hopefully we can figure out a way to make it happen.
[20:24] <helix84> i'll file a new ticket
[20:25] <tdonohue> Ok. Next on our agenda are our favorite two ongoing topics. 3.2 and 4.0
[20:26] <tdonohue> First, regarding 3.2 : I'll note we've recently moved several tickets from 3.2 to 4.0. Not sure how much we have that warrants a 3.2, except possibly DS-1528 (which has been a thorn in my side)
[20:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1528 ] - [#DS-1528] build.properties doesn&#39;t support UTF-8 encoding - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:28] <tdonohue> If anyone has thoughts/ideas or wants to help with Ds-1528, I could use the help. I've tried pretty much everything I can think of (with no success).
[20:28] <hpottinger> if we decide we want a 3.2, I can pull the lever
[20:28] <tdonohue> The bigger question is also whether we want to do a 3.2 in general. We've had few fixes committed since 3.1
[20:29] <tdonohue> here's the commits since 3.1 (courtesy of GitHub): https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/compare/dspace-3.1...dspace-3_x
[20:29] <kompewter> [ Comparing dspace-3.1...dspace-3_x · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/compare/dspace-3.1...dspace-3_x
[20:29] <robint> tdonohue: if there is nothing critical then I would be inclined not to bother with a 3.2
[20:29] <helix84> we do have bugs to warrant 3.2, we just don't have the fixes :)
[20:29] <tdonohue> so far, there is nothing critical that warrants a 3.2
[20:30] <tdonohue> (If we could fix Ds-1528, it might be worth a "3.2"...it's arguable. But, currently we don't have anything really committed on the 3.x branch since 3.1)
[20:31] <tdonohue> So, to me, it sounds like 3.2 may be "on hold". If we find something warranting a 3.2, we could still do one. But, so far, we've got nothing significant.
[20:32] <hpottinger> I agree with tdonohue's assessment
[20:33] <tdonohue> ok, hearing no arguments, it sounds like 3.2 is "on hold" for now
[20:33] <tdonohue> On to 4.0 planning then! :)
[20:34] <tdonohue> I'd like to formally "pester" each and every one of you to consider joining the 4.0 Release Team. :) So far, only hpottinger has raised his hand. I'm obviously willing to chip in... Anyone else interested in joining the team?
[20:35] * hpottinger folds his arms and stares at you.
[20:35] <mhwood> I should talk that over with my supervisor.
[20:35] <robint> Sorry but I will have to rule myself out this year
[20:37] <tdonohue> definitely talk it over with your supervisor(s), if you may be interested but need approval. The release timelines are still totally TBD, so we can work it around schedules as needed. We've only given general dates of late this year (e.g. Oct/Nov/Dec).
[20:38] <tdonohue> I didn't have anything else formal to discuss with regards to 4.0. But, I did want to touch base and see if anyone is working on something we all should "be aware of" or "be prepared for"? The only project I'm sorta aware of is an informal group starting to form around getting a REST API finally in 4.0
[20:39] <robint> tdonohue: Are you following the Fedora 4.0 work at all ?
[20:39] <tdonohue> (but, if those who are working towards a REST API want to say more...feel free...I'm not sure I'm fully in the loop there, and it might be good to keep us all in the loop)
[20:39] <bollini> I could be available but I need to figure well how this will combine with the dspace-cris project roadmap that we (l_a_p is from the dspace-cris)project are revising in these days
[20:39] <robint> Specifically I am interested in their use of Modeshape
[20:39] <tdonohue> robint: very loosely. I'm aware of some of the Fedora 4 work, but nothing too specific
[20:40] <robint> http://www.jboss.org/modeshape
[20:40] <kompewter> [ ModeShape - JBoss Community ] - http://www.jboss.org/modeshape
[20:40] <tdonohue> robint: yep, aware they chose Modeshape to build from. Don't know much more about Modeshape than that. For those who are unaware, Fedora 4 is essentially a *complete rewrite* of Fedora platform (using ModeShape)
[20:41] <robint> I can't seem to find the time to play with Modeshape but it seems to be an out of the box repository
[20:41] <robint> You can build your own app around it
[20:42] <helix84> robint: just let us know when it's time to jump the ship ;)
[20:42] <robint> :)
[20:42] <robint> Too soon for that
[20:42] <tdonohue> from my (vague) understandings, having had a chat with eddies (who is lurking here)... Fedora devs were able to rebuild some of the basics of Fedora on ModeShape in a matter of days (IIRC)
[20:42] <hpottinger> helix84, don't wait for anyone to tell you that kind of thing :-)
[20:43] <tdonohue> but, that's the extent of what I really know :) Would like to look into ModeShape more at some point myself
[20:43] <tdonohue> (eddies is the Fedora 4 Tech Lead, for those who are unaware...likely most of you know that ... just want to make sure of the fact)
[20:44] <robint> Anyway, sorry for diverting the conversation
[20:45] <tdonohue> in any case, the Fedora 4 work is definitely interesting to keep an eye on. And it would be good to look closer at ModeShape in general (especially since Fedora folks chose it over many other possibilities, even DYI options, that they reviewed)
[20:45] <tdonohue> s/DYI/DIY/
[20:45] <kompewter> tdonohue meant to say: in any case, the Fedora 4 work is definitely interesting to keep an eye on. And it would be good to look closer at ModeShape in general (especially since Fedora folks chose it over many other possibilities, even DIY options, that they reviewed)
[20:45] <helix84> i personally like to hear what's going on with our sibling project
[20:46] <robint> Modeshape comes with a Rest Api and a Webdav Api
[20:47] <mhwood> Other 4.0 stuff: I've been nibbling at the task of hollowing out ConfigurationManager to make it a wrappe around ConfigurationService, so we only have one ultimate source of configuration. Thoughts?
[20:47] <hpottinger> +1 single source of configuration
[20:47] <robint> mhwood: very welcome
[20:48] * tdonohue adds one final note on the Fedora 4 (aka "Fedora Futures") stuff. If you are interested in learning more about their work, all their resources are now linked off of http://fcrepo.org/
[20:48] <tdonohue> +1 as well to single source of configs
[20:49] <helix84> re-visiting "discovery by default" that didn't make it into 3.0 - we should get it into 4.0 as early as possible. there already was a PR, we just felt it couldn't get enough testing so late in the cycle.
[20:50] <tdonohue> I'd be +1 to "Discovery by Default". We just need someone to push that forward quickly.
[20:50] <mhwood> OK, if nobody objects to the Config notion, I'll proceed. I should create a PR on phase I (move news and mail texts elsewhere) but I just shoved that code into new Managers and then thought I might as well make them Services (so e.g. news text source becomes pluggable).
[20:50] <hpottinger> I'm running into interesting problems of Discovery not working with customized themes
[20:50] <mhwood> Discovery by default sounds right.
[20:50] <tdonohue> mhwood : definitely proceed...and let us know your status and where you could use help, etc.
[20:50] <bollini> I can anticipate that we are working on the upgrade to SOLR 4 specifically for statistics improvements
[20:51] <bollini> I can check discovery by default on the jspui as well
[20:51] <helix84> hpottinger: if you have any details, feel free to post them to the mailing list. i'll try to look at them.
[20:52] <tdonohue> Here's the old "Discovery by Default" JIRA ticket: DS-1272 (I just marked it for 4.0, but we should followup with KevinVdV & mdiggory to see if we can get it in early)
[20:52] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1272 ] - [#DS-1272] Enable Discovery By Default - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:52] <hpottinger> helix84, the gist of it is: how do I go about getting Discovery content (XSLT, CSS, JS) into my pre-dri2xhtml-alt theme?
[20:53] <helix84> hpottinger: In my experience, don't try to modify dri2xhtml-based theme to dri2xhtml-alt-based one, rewrite it from scratch
[20:54] <hpottinger> that's what I've decided on, helix84, which means I'm going to have to punt Discovery implementation to my next iteration
[20:55] <tdonohue> hpottinger: So it is *all* of Discovery that doesn't work with older dri2html themes? Or just parts of it?
[20:55] * helix84_ (~a@ip4-95-82-147-170.cust.nbox.cz) has joined #duraspace
[20:55] <helix84_> hpottinger: OTOH, enabling discovert on a dri2xhtml-alt-based theme doesn't bring too many problems
[20:56] <hpottinger> todonohue: facets work, search works (kind of) but the forms don't display correctly
[20:56] <robint> Heading off, cheers all
[20:56] <hpottinger> there's quite a bit of JS "magic" that gets lost in translation
[20:56] * robint (522a6b02@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:57] <tdonohue> hmm.. you might want to mark it as a bug then, hpottinger, if you get a chance. I wonder if there was something that missed getting "back-ported" to dri2xhtml
[20:57] <helix84_> hpottinger: anyway, i did enable discovery on a Reference-based theme and I think it works fine. I'll give you the URL if you want to try it.
[20:58] <hpottinger> helix84_ thanks, yeah, send me the URL, and if the source is in github, that'd be appreciated, as well :-)
[20:58] * helix84 (~a@ip4-95-82-147-170.cust.nbox.cz) Quit (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
[20:59] * helix84_ is now known as helix84
[20:59] <tdonohue> as a note: I also *thought* that Discovery works on out-of-the-box dri2xhtml themes. But, then again, maybe I'm wrong. I likely *won't* work on locally customized themes by default though...as Discovery does require some XSLT/CSS/JS updates to themes.
[21:01] <tdonohue> Well, we're at the top of the hour here. Which means our meeting is "officially" ended. However, I'm glad to stick around longer if there's any other topics anyone wanted to discuss (I don't have anything else on the agenda for today)
[21:02] <bollini> as we are talking about discovery... I'm checking old tickets and found this: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1080
[21:02] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1080] Search results preview - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1080
[21:02] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1080 ] - [#DS-1080] Search results preview - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:02] <bollini> it has been fixed in 3.0 with the highlighting right?
[21:02] <mhwood> I'm going to have to go. 'bye all!
[21:03] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:03] <tdonohue> I'd agree, bollini. That sounds like it was fixed by the highlighting in 3.0
[21:04] <helix84> i, too, believe that's what this ticket was about
[21:04] <bollini> ok I'm going to mark it as fixed in https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1229
[21:04] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1229 ] - [#DS-1229] @mire discovery contribution - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:04] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1229] @mire discovery contribution - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1229
[21:05] <tdonohue> bollini: sounds good! thanks for catching that. It's always great to get to close old tickets :)
[21:09] <bollini> so I have done my good deed :-) can leave for night! bye all
[21:09] <helix84> bollini: bye and thanks!
[21:10] * bollini (~chatzilla@host246-235-dynamic.12-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) Quit (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.90 [Firefox 20.0.1/20130409194949])
[21:12] * l_a_p (~chatzilla@ has left #duraspace
[21:26] * ksclarke (~kevin@pdpc/supporter/active/ksclarke) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[21:33] * helix84 (~a@ip4-95-82-147-170.cust.nbox.cz) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[21:51] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[21:55] * ksclarke (~kevin@pdpc/supporter/active/ksclarke) has joined #duraspace
[22:06] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[23:29] * ksclarke (~kevin@pdpc/supporter/active/ksclarke) Quit (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.