#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2013-11-27

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[3:04] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[6:32] -cameron.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:32] -cameron.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:32] -cameron.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:32] -cameron.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:32] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:32] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:32] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[10:44] * fasseg (~ruckus@HSI-KBW-095-208-235-163.hsi5.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) has joined #duraspace
[10:45] * fasseg (~ruckus@HSI-KBW-095-208-235-163.hsi5.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) Quit (Client Quit)
[10:45] * fasseg (~ruckus@HSI-KBW-095-208-235-163.hsi5.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) has joined #duraspace
[10:46] * fasseg (~ruckus@HSI-KBW-095-208-235-163.hsi5.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) has left #duraspace
[13:18] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:50] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-179-112-246.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:09] * fasseg (~ruckus@HSI-KBW-095-208-235-163.hsi5.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) has joined #duraspace
[15:09] * fasseg (~ruckus@HSI-KBW-095-208-235-163.hsi5.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) Quit (Client Quit)
[15:09] * fasseg (~ruckus@HSI-KBW-095-208-235-163.hsi5.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) has joined #duraspace
[15:09] * fasseg (~ruckus@HSI-KBW-095-208-235-163.hsi5.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) has left #duraspace
[16:33] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[19:07] * bollini (~bollini@ge-19-110-102.service.infuturo.it) has joined #duraspace
[19:17] * bollini (~bollini@ge-19-110-102.service.infuturo.it) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[19:57] * kstamatis (b03a96bb@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:00] * PeterDietz (~peterdiet@dietz72m1.lib.ohio-state.edu) Quit (Read error: Operation timed out)
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-11-27
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2013-11-27 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-11-27
[20:02] <tdonohue> Today the big topic is obviously 4.0 status updates...where do we sit with 4.0, what's left to do, what does our schedule now look like, etc
[20:02] <mhwood> RC2 is still not done. Lots of bug fixes began to land, and I let it slip some more.
[20:03] <mhwood> I want to get that done this week, though.
[20:03] <tdonohue> ok. good to know.
[20:04] <tdonohue> As noted (for those in the previous hour), we also have more JIRA tickets to review that are marked "fix for 4.0". So, we need to triage those as well, before we release 4.0
[20:05] <mhwood> There's a PR for DS-1530 now. Eyes on it would be appreciated. It's a small problem and a small fix.
[20:05] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1530 ] - [DS-1530] create-administrator and skipping the email field - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:06] <tdonohue> It seems as though Bram is also working on some 4.0 Docs things (from recent emails), so it sounds like there's more documentation work left to be done as well.
[20:07] * lap1 (~l.pascare@host137-221-dynamic.55-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has joined #duraspace
[20:07] <tdonohue> mhwood: haven't tested it, but your PR to 1530 looks like the "obvious fix". I'd say merge it
[20:07] <lap1> Hi all
[20:07] <tdonohue> (once tested, obviously)
[20:07] <mhwood> Tested.
[20:07] <mhwood> Hi lap1.
[20:08] <tdonohue> hi lap1 - we are doing 4.0 status updates
[20:08] <kstamatis> mhwood: +1 to merge, seems more than straightforward
[20:09] <kstamatis> Hi lap1
[20:09] <tdonohue> Ok, so, it sounds like we still have several 4.0 tasks left...so, although things are getting "closer" to a 4.0 release, we probably need to tweak our release schedule a bit
[20:09] <mhwood> Merged. Thanks.
[20:10] <tdonohue> currently our tentative schedule has 4.0 final being released a week from today on Dec 4...that seems a bit unlikely in my mind. I wonder if we need to push back one week? (Dec 11) Would give more time to do RC2, do some more testing, triage of JIRA tickets, etc
[20:11] <mhwood> That is what I was thinking.
[20:12] <tdonohue> it seems reasonable to me to delay a week. I don't think rushing a release helps anyone (and I'd rather delay a bit to have time to fully prepare everything, and ensure we all do a little more testing)
[20:14] <mhwood> So: cut RC2 on 02-Dec, release on 11-Dec?
[20:15] * bollini (~bollini@host114-239-dynamic.245-95-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has joined #duraspace
[20:15] <tdonohue> yea, that seems like a good tentative updated schedule, mhwood. We also need to therefore work to finalize docs (preferably by Dec 6 or 9)
[20:16] <tdonohue> So, we may want to announce the schedule updates to dspace-release, and also check to be sure folks who are working on documentation can have things ready by Dec 6 or 9 (and if there are gaps in docs, we'll need to find volunteers)
[20:17] <mhwood> Yes.
[20:18] <mhwood> Will do.
[20:18] <tdonohue> do you want to take care of posting updated schedule, mhwood? I'm assuming other RT members can help ping necessary folks on documentation deadlines
[20:18] <tdonohue> ok, cool, thanks!
[20:18] <mhwood> Help in knowing whom to contact would be appreciated.
[20:19] <tdonohue> oh, I guess I was assuming we knew who had "outstanding docs"? I know Bram is working on some re-writes. Is someone doing the Upgrade docs? Are their any other major features that are lacking docs?
[20:20] <mhwood> I copied and adjusted the 3.x upgrade docs, and others have tweaked since then.
[20:20] <helix84> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+4.0+Tasks
[20:20] <kompewter> [ DSpace 4.0 Tasks - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+4.0+Tasks
[20:20] <helix84> there's a 4.0 Documentation Tasks section there
[20:21] <bollini> request copy need documentation I think
[20:21] <tdonohue> mhwood: ok, so that's good...probably just need a final runthrough or two, to ensure the upgrade process is "tested"
[20:22] <tdonohue> Thanks for the link, helix84.
[20:23] <tdonohue> So, I guess the question is: Are the RT members looking at those 4.0 docs tasks? Do you need help? (If so, someone should also ask on mailing lists, since we are a smallish group today)
[20:23] <bollini> I have no docs task on todo list
[20:26] <mhwood> Made a note to pursue the doc tasks. And I have a bit of feature documentation to do.
[20:27] <tdonohue> I admit, Documentation is never 100% perfect. So, we have to somewhate assume that folks who built features have given us the proper docs. But, it'd be good to have a few folks quickly review the main features (highlighted in our release notes) to ensure they all have docs, and also review those tickets marked "changes-config"
[20:28] <tdonohue> ok. So, I'd recommend that the RT ask for help if you need it on finalizing Docs. Just email -release or -commit, and hopefully we can get some others to chip in
[20:28] <mhwood> Noted, will do.
[20:29] <bollini> we could add a help link beside any features item so to make evident where doc is missing
[20:29] <bollini> I mean in the release note
[20:29] <tdonohue> bollini: good idea. If someone tries to link up all the new features to docs (on the release notes page) it should be evident which ones have no docs yet
[20:30] <tdonohue> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+4.0+Notes
[20:30] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 4.0 Notes - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+4.0+Notes
[20:30] <tdonohue> (Many of those features already are linked up too their docs, which is great)
[20:31] <mhwood> Good idea. Noted.
[20:32] <tdonohue> I also added it to the list of "Documentation Tasks"
[20:32] <tdonohue> Ok, so it sounds like we have a good handle on what is left regarding Documentation
[20:33] <tdonohue> On the JIRA tickets side of things, do we want to schedule a separate "triage" meeting to review the rest of the 'fix for 4.0' tickets? (hopefully most can be either rescheduled or closed)
[20:33] <tdonohue> It's either that, or we can use next week's JIRA Backlog Hour for this again...and then see if we need another meeting later next week
[20:34] <mhwood> We should, if it's possible. They will have to be adjusted anyway, at some point.
[20:37] <tdonohue> I'm fine with either route, really. We could just repurpose the JIRA Backlog Hour again (19:00UTC on Weds, Dec 4) to see how far we can get. And before then, we can encourage folks to individually do some reviews to reschedule/close "obvious" tickets.
[20:37] <mhwood> Shall we do that, then?
[20:37] <tdonohue> but, I'm not against a separate meeting...just wanted to ask what you all want to do
[20:38] <mhwood> Actually, though, that is after RC2 should come out, so maybe we need to just ask: is there anything left on that list that we *must have* in 4.0?
[20:39] <mhwood> Anything that lands after RC2 is going to mean an RC3 and pushing release back again.
[20:39] <mhwood> Anything not well under way now, probably ought to move to 4.1.
[20:40] <tdonohue> mhwood: yes, it could mean the need for an RC3, you are correct. And, I agree, anything not underway should move to 4.1, unless we notice something of extremely high importance
[20:41] <tdonohue> So, we could do a separate triage meeting on Monday, if that was better. But, we'd need to advertise it, as we are a "smallish" group here today.
[20:42] <helix84> i can't make it on Monday this time, I could do Tuesday, though
[20:42] <tdonohue> Tuesday, Dec 3 at either 19:00UTC or 20:00UTC works for me
[20:43] <mhwood> I could do that. RC2 still goes out Monday, though, right?
[20:44] <tdonohue> yea..so either way, we miss RC2 and possibly risk an RC3. Just not sure if we are going to avoid that
[20:45] <mhwood> We have two Major issues, both assigned. The rest are Minor or Trivial. I think we could release without any of those, if we had to. Would rather have them all dealt with, but that seems unlikely.
[20:46] * simpleirc2 (~bollini@host114-239-dynamic.245-95-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has joined #duraspace
[20:46] * simpleirc2 (~bollini@host114-239-dynamic.245-95-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has left #duraspace
[20:46] <helix84> what if we do the triage meeting tomorrow instead?
[20:47] <mhwood> So: RC2 on Monday, 4.0 bug triage and decide whether we must have an RC3 on Tuesday?
[20:47] <tdonohue> helix84: tomorrow is a major USA holiday (Thanksgiving). Everyone in the USA is off work (I'll be offline tomorrow & Fri)
[20:47] <mhwood> It's a holiday in US. It will be difficult to arrange time.
[20:47] <helix84> tdonohue: sorry, I forgot about that
[20:48] * simpleirc2 (~simpleirc@host114-239-dynamic.245-95-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has joined #duraspace
[20:48] * bollini (~bollini@host114-239-dynamic.245-95-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) Quit (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
[20:48] <mhwood> Friday would not be so difficult for me. Others may be travelling.
[20:49] <helix84> I won't make it on Friday
[20:49] <mhwood> Could do RC2 on Wednesday. That gives one week to new release date, and a couple more work days before RC2.
[20:51] <tdonohue> I think it's really up to the "release team" (though I know not all of you are even here). Honestly, RC's are not that difficult to release. So, it'd also be possible to do: RC2 on Monday, Triage on Tues or Weds, (as needed) RC3 on Weds on Thurs
[20:52] <mhwood> The difficulty is getting "must do" items done in one day.
[20:52] <tdonohue> There's nothing that says we can only do one RC per week. So, there could be multiple next wee as needed
[20:52] <mhwood> That is true.
[20:54] <tdonohue> ok, mhwood, if it's easier...why not: RC2 on Tues, Triage on Weds (during JIRA Backlog Hour), (as needed) RC3 on Thurs/Fri, Final Docs preferably by Fri, Final Release aiming for Weds, Dec 11
[20:54] <tdonohue> that gives Monday as a day to complete "must do" items before RC2 on Tues
[20:55] <mhwood> Very tight timing, but unless something Critical turns up, the triage session should just be rescheduling issues.
[20:55] <mhwood> We could do that. Other opinions?
[20:56] <simpleirc2> I'm ok with the proposed schedule
[20:56] <tdonohue> yes, I agree it's a bit tight. The lesson is likely that triage should have been done a few weeks ago :/ But, if we "miss" the timing, we can push back the release to Fri, Dec 13 or even Weds, Dec 18. There's still time to fit it into "December"
[20:57] <mhwood> We can, and if need be, we will, but I'm inclined to let the release date push back at us, hard.
[20:57] <mhwood> We'll do what we have to, to get a good release.
[20:58] <tdonohue> mhwood: oh yes, I agree. Hence why I suggested the tight timeframe. Just noting that if we find something in triage, we still can tweak the schedule if we need to.
[20:58] <mhwood> I'm working against my own nature, which tends to make dates too flexible. :-)
[20:59] <mhwood> Absolutely. If we have to fix something, it will get time to be fixed.
[21:00] <tdonohue> Ok, so it sounds like we have a new timeline. Could an RT member announce it to -release (and possibly -commit)? Just want to make sure everyone else gets the message.
[21:01] <mhwood> I will do that. As you suggested: RC2 Tue, Triage Wed 1900UTC, RC3 Thu/Fri if needed, Docs Fri, Release 11-Dec.
[21:01] <tdonohue> sounds great.
[21:02] <tdonohue> Ok, so I don't have any more agenda items. Any last thoughts/questions/comments before we close up the meeting?
[21:02] <mhwood> Any chance of moving "search interfaces" to the top of the next agenda? It has been starved for several weeks.
[21:03] <helix84> mhwood: could you please send a reminder email on Mon/Tue about the extraordinary Tue meeting?
[21:03] <mhwood> We could limit debate to 10min. or so if necessary.
[21:03] <mhwood> Reminder mail: will do.
[21:03] <helix84> thanks
[21:04] <mhwood> Wait, what Tuesday meeting?
[21:04] <helix84> oh, I misread
[21:04] <tdonohue> mhwood: oh, that "search interfaces" note is a JIRA ticket now too. DS-1789
[21:04] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1789 ] - [DS-1789] Deprecate Lucene Java classes - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:05] <tdonohue> there is no meeting on Tues. We decided to repurpose the "JIRA Backlog Hour" for the Triage Meeting (Weds, 19:00UTC)
[21:05] <helix84> yes, sorry
[21:06] * kstamatis (b03a96bb@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[21:06] <tdonohue> Regarding my ongoing "Search Interfaces" topic #2 in the agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-11-27 We could either talk briefly now, or folks could add thoughts or +1 to the DS-1789 ticket suggested for 4.0
[21:06] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1789 ] - [DS-1789] Deprecate Lucene Java classes - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:06] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2013-11-27 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-11-27
[21:08] <tdonohue> Your "+1/-1" I meant to type.... I personally feel we should deprecate these Lucene Java classes, as it sounds like they will go away or be replaced in 5.0. Which is why I created that 1789 ticket
[21:08] <helix84> I'm fine with that, too. As we talked, there could be a Lucene backend implemented via Discovery if there's a volunteer who wants that.
[21:10] <mhwood> I think it's reasonable to pull the embedded search stuff out. I have not been able to imagine why we want both.
[21:10] <mhwood> We have Solr anyway for other uses.
[21:11] * kstamatis (b03a96bb@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[21:11] * tdonohue notes: unfortunately I need to head out of here shortly
[21:13] * simpleirc2 (~simpleirc@host114-239-dynamic.245-95-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has left #duraspace
[21:14] <tdonohue> Ok, I have to unfortunately head out of here. As 1789 is marked for 4.0 anyhow, I'm assuming we'll have to talk through it next week (either during the triage or the later meeting). In the meantime, feel free to add your thoughts
[21:14] <tdonohue> So, I'm going to go ahead and close the meeting now, as we don't seem to have any other topics for today.
[21:16] <mhwood> Thanks!
[21:17] <mhwood> Schedule update: was that to -commit, not -devel?
[21:23] <lap1> mwhood: yes i remember that tim say -commit and -release
[21:24] <mhwood> Going out to the lists before I leave today:
[21:24] <mhwood> Clearly I have let RC2 slip. As discussed today on #duraspace, we
[21:24] <mhwood> have a new schedule for remaining events:
[21:24] <mhwood> o RC2 will be cut on 03-Dec-2013.
[21:24] <mhwood> o The regular JIRA review IRC meeting on 04-Dec-2013 will be another
[21:24] <mhwood> 4.0 bug triage session.
[21:24] <mhwood> o If there are issues not addressed in RC2 that cannot wait, RC3 will
[21:24] <mhwood> be cut 05- or 06-Dec-2013.
[21:24] <mhwood> o Documentation should be made ready by 06-Dec-2013. Some areas of
[21:24] <mhwood> focus can be found under Documentation Tasks in:
[21:24] <mhwood> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+4.0+Tasks
[21:24] <mhwood> o If no Critical or Blocker issues are found, DSpace 4.0 will be
[21:24] <mhwood> released on 11-Dec-2013.
[21:24] <kompewter> [ DSpace 4.0 Tasks - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+4.0+Tasks
[21:30] * lap1 (~l.pascare@host137-221-dynamic.55-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has left #duraspace
[21:32] * lap1 (~l.pascare@host137-221-dynamic.55-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has joined #duraspace
[21:35] * lap1 (~l.pascare@host137-221-dynamic.55-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has left #duraspace
[21:35] * kstamatis (b03a96bb@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:46] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[23:13] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-179-112-246.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.