#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-03-12

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:48] -hobana.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:48] -hobana.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:48] -hobana.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:49] -hobana.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:49] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:49] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:49] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[9:10] * helix84 (~ctenar@ Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[9:39] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-157-35.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) has joined #duraspace
[10:05] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-157-35.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[10:56] * helix84 (~ctenar@ has joined #duraspace
[11:42] * helix84 (~ctenar@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[12:04] * misilot1 is now known as misilot
[12:13] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-157-35.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) has joined #duraspace
[12:26] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:33] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-157-35.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[13:30] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[13:34] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[18:38] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-160123.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:03] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:05] <hpottinger> alas, DST appears to have driven away some of the US-based committers
[20:06] <mhwood> Hm, they should have been early.
[20:07] <hpottinger> that's true, mhwood, hmm...
[20:08] <hpottinger> aschweer just walked in, so we have three, that's quorum, right?
[20:09] <hpottinger> sorry, that joke is wearing thin...
[20:10] <aschweer> I'm here with only half an eye and will need to leave early
[20:10] <hpottinger> that sounds painful
[20:11] <aschweer> haha
[20:12] <hpottinger> mhwood and I were trying to debug mobile.demo (see DS-1944)
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1944 ] - [DS-1944] http://mobile.demo.dspace.org/xmlui/ - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <mhwood> Tomcat restarted, same error.
[20:13] <hpottinger> Cocoon is complaining about an unmatched close paren
[20:15] <hpottinger> I thought I'd found it here: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-xmlui/src/main/webapp/themes/mobile/mobile.xsl#L697
[20:15] <kompewter> [ DSpace/dspace-xmlui/src/main/webapp/themes/mobile/mobile.xsl at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-xmlui/src/main/webapp/themes/mobile/mobile.xsl#L697
[20:15] <hpottinger> deleted the extra close paren, cleared the Cocoon cache, mhwood restarted tomcat... the problem persists
[20:16] <hpottinger> misilot is correct, it's broken
[20:19] <hpottinger> oh, duh
[20:19] <hpottinger> undeployed theme file is undeployed
[20:20] <hpottinger> copied it manually
[20:20] <mhwood> Yes, I just got less to tell me what line I'm on so I can find it, and the live transform still has the paren.
[20:21] <mhwood> THAT looks better!
[20:21] * jsherman (a43a1787@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:21] <hpottinger> aha
[20:22] <hpottinger> well, that was a rookie mistake, but I'm glad I caught it
[20:24] <hpottinger> well... shall we talk about a 4.2?
[20:26] <mhwood> I guess so, if mobile is broken, Turkish is missing, and Solr is spewing all over catalina.out.
[20:26] <hpottinger> End of March?
[20:27] <mhwood> That seems reasonable.
[20:27] <hpottinger> a one character deletion, hardly seems worth the effort of making a branch... I'm tempted to make this change in github...
[20:28] <mhwood> That's what I was thinking. Also maybe for the excessive logging.
[20:28] <hpottinger> it's a deal, let's fix this thing
[20:30] * kstamatis (5b8c17ac@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:33] <hpottinger> the github edit interface is a sharp knife
[20:35] <mhwood> Fixed Ds-1946 in 4_x and master.
[20:35] <hpottinger> kstamatis: this is the quietest Dev Mtg you'll ever see :-) mhwood and I have gone a bit crazy and are live-editing the master branch on github
[20:36] <hpottinger> oh, 4_x, too, show-off
[20:36] <hpottinger> ;-)
[20:36] <mhwood> Well, if we're talking about a 4_x release in about 2 weeks....
[20:37] <hpottinger> true, did you just make two manual edits, or did you cherry pick and push?
[20:37] <mhwood> Manual edits.
[20:37] <mhwood> The commit message was much bigger than the edit.
[20:38] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: leaving)
[20:38] <mhwood> hpottinger, shall I mention that we discussed 1946 on IRC in the close message?
[20:39] <hpottinger> good idea
[20:43] <hpottinger> DS-1944 is fixe in master and 4_x
[20:43] <mhwood> Done, and closed.
[20:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1944 ] - [DS-1944] http://mobile.demo.dspace.org/xmlui/ - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:43] <hpottinger> s/fixe/fixed/
[20:43] <kompewter> hpottinger meant to say: DS-1944 is fixed in master and 4_x
[20:43] * helix84 (~ctenar@ has joined #duraspace
[20:45] <hpottinger> likewise, closed DS-1944
[20:45] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1944 ] - [DS-1944] http://mobile.demo.dspace.org/xmlui/ - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:45] <hpottinger> Hi, helix84, we're shooting from the hip today.
[20:46] <helix84> hpottinger: hi, nice to see I'm not the only one who does that
[20:46] <hpottinger> so, we're thinking a 4.2 looks like a real possibility, probably end of March? (and helix84, it was mhwood's idea, honest)
[20:46] <helix84> mhwood: sooo, did we talk 3.3 last time?
[20:46] <kstamatis> sorry… just came back… When i logged in I was wondering if I entered in the right place!
[20:47] <mhwood> Hmmm, yes, I think I said I could get a 3.3 out but not that day. Thanks for the reminder.
[20:47] <hpottinger> what all is in 3.3?
[20:48] <helix84> mhwood: no, thank you for doing the actual work ;)
[20:48] <mhwood> Don't thank me until I get it done.
[20:48] <helix84> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/commits/dspace-3_x
[20:48] <kompewter> [ Commits · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/commits/dspace-3_x
[20:49] <helix84> http://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.3+Notes
[20:49] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 3.3 Notes - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - http://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.3+Notes
[20:51] <hpottinger> seems nice and tidy, thanks for working on keeping that branch up to date, helix84!
[20:51] <mhwood> "
[20:54] <helix84> I wish I had time to eat my own dogfood
[20:54] <mhwood> Speaking of 4.2, I looked at the input-forms.xml patch for Turkish and was not confident that I know enough about that area to say whether it is complete, due to a comment just above the list. It could use attention from someone who is more familiar with input-forms.
[20:54] <helix84> I think I'm still on 3.0
[20:54] <mhwood> helix84, I know how that goes.
[20:56] <helix84> generally, I think 4.1 has less bugs than dspace-3_x
[20:57] <helix84> so DS-1944 can be closed, right?
[20:57] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1944 ] - [DS-1944] http://mobile.demo.dspace.org/xmlui/ - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:58] <hpottinger> I think I just closed it?
[20:58] <helix84> hpottinger: sorry, I was looking at the wrong end
[20:58] <helix84> seems like DS-1943 can't break anything...
[20:58] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1943 ] - [DS-1943] Language Selection _ Turkish Option - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:59] <mhwood> I wondered if it had to be coordinated with a matching list elsewhere, due to the comment above the language list.
[20:59] <mhwood> Something about order....
[20:59] <helix84> which comment?
[21:00] <mhwood> <!-- default language order: (from dspace 1.2.1)
[21:00] <mhwood> "en_US", "en", "es", "de", "fr", "it", "ja", "zh", "other", ""
[21:00] <mhwood> -->
[21:00] <helix84> sooo... why does order matter/
[21:01] <mhwood> I don't know. That's what made me wary.
[21:01] <mhwood> If this is the only place that should be updated, do we just place Turkish between Chinese and "other"?
[21:02] <hpottinger> I was just at a presentation that Bram did on the "secrets of input forms"
[21:03] <helix84> btw why don't we have a complete list of languages?
[21:03] <hpottinger> http://www.slideshare.net/bramluyten/secrets-of-the-dspace-submission-form
[21:03] <kompewter> [ Secrets of the DSpace Submission Form ] - http://www.slideshare.net/bramluyten/secrets-of-the-dspace-submission-form
[21:03] <helix84> or an input box instead?
[21:05] <helix84> or an auto-complete input box with localized names? I've done that before in some other project.
[21:05] <mhwood> I guess we need an integration test to check <all the places where we list languages> and see if they all match.
[21:06] <mhwood> I suppose that if we have a message catalog for language X then there should be a <pair> for it here, and then what other places should be checked?
[21:06] <kstamatis> helix84: and why Turkish should be included in the file. input-forms.xml is supposed to be a "configuration" file as well. So anyone can add the languages they like! Not true? Major languages should only be included or the whole list, as helix mentions
[21:07] <helix84> mhwood: actually, it would mean we'd have _less_ languages as most translations are incomplete
[21:07] <helix84> helix84: I think for 4.x we have only 3 complete languages + english
[21:07] <mhwood> Well, the same rule should apply in both directions. If we have a <pair> here and not a matching catalog, that is a problem.
[21:09] <mhwood> "common_iso_languages" only occurs here and in dspace.cfg: #choices.plugin.dc.language.iso = common_iso_languages
[21:13] <mhwood> I'm going to have to leave. Happy to discuss this issue further on the ML or whatever.
[21:14] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:21] <helix84> kstamatis: btw what about a Greek translation? the JSPUI one was last updated in 2009.
[21:23] <kstamatis> I could add some translations. Is there an easy way to see what is missing from the last translation back in 2009?
[21:24] <kstamatis> or should I make a script to check for the differences between the two files?
[21:31] * jsherman (a43a1787@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: gotta go!)
[21:34] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-160123.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:34] <helix84> kstamatis: no, I already made that script
[21:35] <helix84> kstamatis: https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=19006307#InternationalizationSupport(I18nSupport)-PythonScripttocheckformissing/extrastrings
[21:35] <kompewter> [ Internationalization Support (I18nSupport) - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=19006307#InternationalizationSupport(I18nSupport)-PythonScripttocheckformissing/extrastrings
[21:38] <kstamatis> ok, cool. I will use it to find the differences. Thanks!
[22:08] * kstamatis (5b8c17ac@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[22:21] * kshepherd2 (~kim@wireless-nat-20.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[23:04] * kshepherd2 (~kim@wireless-nat-20.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.