#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-04-09

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:19] * edInCo (~smuxi@seta.coalliance.org) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[6:35] -verne.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:35] -verne.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:35] -verne.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:35] -verne.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:35] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:35] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:35] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[6:35] -verne.freenode.net- [freenode-info] channel trolls and no channel staff around to help? please check with freenode support: http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#gettinghelp
[10:52] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-35-254.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) has joined #duraspace
[12:16] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:51] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-179-112-246.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:15] * edInCo (~smuxi@seta.coalliance.org) has joined #duraspace
[14:07] * PeterDietz (~peterdiet@dhcp-164-107-233-76.osuwireless.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:08] * PeterDietz (~peterdiet@dhcp-164-107-233-76.osuwireless.ohio-state.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[14:08] * PeterDietz (~peterdiet@dietz72m1.lib.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:47] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:25] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[16:08] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:42] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[17:48] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[18:56] * kompewter (~kompewter@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:57] * pbecker (55d433d5@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting. General agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-04-09
[20:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-04-09 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-04-09
[20:01] <tdonohue> First up, just a few brief notes. We're still looking for 5.0 Release Team members/volunteers. If you happen to be interested, get in touch with me
[20:02] <tdonohue> Next up, I actually just realized (this morning) that I'm not going to be able to make next week's DSpace Devel Mtg. So, is there anyone who'd want to lead the meeting on April 16?
[20:04] <tdonohue> I'm only out that Weds afternoon...so I'm even willing to help try and setup the agenda...just won't be online that afternoon cause of a prior commitment
[20:04] <mhwood> I can do that.
[20:04] <tdonohue> thanks mhwood. I appreciate it
[20:05] <mhwood> It's on my calendar.
[20:06] <tdonohue> So, I'm gonna skip over #2 on the agenda briefly...just cause #3 may affect next weeks plans as well. Initially I was planning to have the next "Let's talk about features" meeting next week (April 16). But, since I'm out, should we reschedule for April 23?
[20:07] <tdonohue> Anyone have a preference on April 16 v. 23?
[20:07] <PeterDietz> I would say whenever we can get the most voices present
[20:08] <tdonohue> Ok, assuming no one else has strong preferences, then I'll say let's do the 23rd. That way I can also be in attendance
[20:08] <mhwood> OK
[20:08] <tdonohue> Next up. Just a status check on DSpace 4.2 and/or 3.3 releases...
[20:08] <tdonohue> just curious if there's any help/support needed, or if we are still just waiting on closing out of some last tickets?
[20:09] <mhwood> Yeah, I need to review one PR that we specifically asked for, and then make up a 3.3.
[20:10] <tdonohue> Ok. sounds good then. looks like there's just two unresolved tickets left for 3.3: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/11841
[20:10] <kompewter> [ DSpace: 3.3 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/11841
[20:11] <tdonohue> I'm basically just trying to get a sense of how "close" we are, so that we can ensure we are ready to put out the necessary announcements, update dspace.org, etc.
[20:12] <tdonohue> Would it be worth setting some (tentative) deadlines/dates?
[20:13] <mhwood> Sure.
[20:14] <tdonohue> e.g. Release 3.3 around April 25/26 (if we need that long)...and perhaps even start to think about releasing 4.2 around early-to-mid May?
[20:15] <tdonohue> 4.2 date is mostly a "guess". Just wondering if we should set something tentative to see if we can find more immediate volunteers to get outstanding issues patched, etc
[20:15] <mhwood> 25-April sounds good for 3.3.
[20:15] <tdonohue> or, I guess we could also schedule a "PR review session" for 4.2 -- just to see how far along we are, and perhaps merge in some "obvious wins"
[20:16] <hpottinger> I'd like to review pbecker's PR for DS-1906 (DSPR#469), hopefully in time for 3.3 and 4.2
[20:16] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/469 ] - DS-1906: Adds configurable option to reconvert shibboleth attributes. by pnbecker
[20:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1906 ] - [DS-1906] Shibboleth attributes may need to be reconverted - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:16] <mhwood> That would be good to have.
[20:16] <pbecker> We are still on 4.x, so it would be great for us if it would come into 4.2
[20:17] <pbecker> s/still/already
[20:17] <kompewter> pbecker meant to say: We are already on 4.x, so it would be great for us if it would come into 4.2
[20:17] <hpottinger> pbecker: do you not cherry-pick your own PRs? :-)
[20:18] <pbecker> yes I do, but I'm glad to be as tight to a dspace release as possible.
[20:18] <hpottinger> (sorry, just giving you grief, don't pay any attention to me)
[20:19] <tdonohue> 1906 seems fine. Just need to try and review it soon. It seems like 3.3 is "very nearly ready" (and I'd hate to delay it). 4.2 is less well defined, but it seems like DS-1958 is important to fix in 4.x soon(ish)
[20:19] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1958 ] - [DS-1958] Discovery OutOfMemoryError when indexing Large Bitstreams. - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:20] <tdonohue> (I just hate OOM errors, and it'd be great to squash that on in *both* 3.x and 4.x)
[20:20] <mhwood> Yes, I want to get that one in.
[20:20] <pbecker> (hpottinger: no grief at all)
[20:21] <tdonohue> Ok, so sounds like 3.3 is tentative for April 25. Regarding 4.2, maybe we should do a review of still open 4.2 tickets (at an upcoming JIRA backlog session) to see what we can get in quickly...with the hope of a early-to-mid May release
[20:21] <mhwood> That sounds good.
[20:22] <tdonohue> sounds like a plan then.
[20:23] <tdonohue> Ok. So, moving along then. Next up is Meeting Times
[20:24] <tdonohue> As was noted (just on -commit list so far), this meeting time (20:00UTC) seems to only be "convenient" for USA and New Zealand folks. But, the majority of our Committers (and many other active devels) are now physically based in Europe
[20:24] <pbecker> I'm realy glad about this topic. Even with another time I wouldn't attend to all meetings, but the actual time is one of the biggest blocker for me to attend at least from time to time.
[20:25] <hpottinger> here's the square we need to circle: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=4&day=16&year=2014&p1=248&p2=770&p3=109&p4=179&p5=136&p6=215&p7=204&p8=48&p9=26&p10=22&iv=0
[20:25] <kompewter> [ The World Clock Meeting Planner - Results ] - http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=4&day=16&year=2014&p1=248&p2=770&p3=109&p4=179&p5=136&p6=215&p7=204&p8=48&p9=26&p10=22&iv=0
[20:26] <tdonohue> So, hpottinger & I were chatting about this recently...and it seemed like there was two main times that would catch "most of us" (there's absolutely no way to catch everyone around the world)
[20:27] <tdonohue> 14:00 UTC / 15:00 UTC - seems to be convenient for most of Europe & central/eastern USA
[20:27] <tdonohue> 20:00 UTC - seems to be convenient for all of USA and our active New Zealand folks
[20:27] <hpottinger> the current time, 20UTC, is pretty good for matching up with *everyone* on our list *possibly* being at least awake during "normal-ish" hours
[20:28] <hpottinger> 14/15UTC is much more convenient for many, but writes off Asia
[20:29] <hpottinger> so, can we handle the complexity of an alternating meeting time?
[20:30] <tdonohue> And obviously we should realize that even in this meeting, today, we are mostly USA folks (except pbecker and it's great to have you here)... at least those that have actively spoken
[20:30] <pbecker> supposing that almost all of the commiters/developers work on DSpace as their jobs "being awake" is not enough.
[20:30] <hpottinger> there are two kshepherds here, but they are both very quiet
[20:31] <tdonohue> In my opinion though, we have a problem right now in that we are missing a large number of contributors in Europe (and potentially making decisions without them) in these meetings. I'd like to solve that.
[20:32] <tdonohue> pbecker: I agree completely. "Being awake" is not enough. It'd be better to try and catch people during "normal working hours" (at least every few weeks)
[20:32] <pbecker> are there reasonable numbers of dspace installations in asia?
[20:33] <tdonohue> There are a lot of DSpace installations in Asia. But, in terms of Committers, we only have one based in Asia (Japan)
[20:33] <hpottinger> The earlier 14 or 15 UTC meeting time doesn't really cause me any problems, though midnight to 3am is tough for Asia and the Pacific
[20:34] <pbecker> And in terms of developers or contributors?
[20:34] <tdonohue> it's hard to track all developers/contributors. Some of them we only "know" by GitHub ids...and we may not actually know where they are based, unless they say so (or it's obvious from their email address)
[20:35] <hpottinger> To be clear, I think having two meeting times is the most fair approach, and we can handle the complexity.
[20:36] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-35-254.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[20:36] <tdonohue> hpottinger: are you suggesting two meetings on the same day? Or alternating times?
[20:36] <hpottinger> though, we should probably attach some metrics to this, and keep track to attendance, to assess the impact of alternating times
[20:37] <hpottinger> tdonohue: alternating times, one week gets the "late meeting" of 20UTC, the following week gets the "early meeting" of 14 or 15UTC
[20:37] <pbecker> Tim's weekly mail that remembers on the developer meeting is realy helpful to me. If this service continues, I wouldn't have a problem with alternating meeting times. ;-)
[20:38] <tdonohue> I'd keep trying to send out the weekly email :)
[20:39] <hpottinger> Tim could even include an iCal attachment so we could drag/drop the meeting into our calendars
[20:39] <tdonohue> I agree with hpottinger though. I suspect it's worth at least *trying* alternating meeting times (one week 20UTC, the next at 14/15UTC), to see what happens.
[20:39] <hpottinger> but, we do need to be able to *measure* what happens
[20:40] <tdonohue> Though, I'd like to get more feedback from the Committers as to whether they have any preference of 14 vs 15UTC.
[20:40] <hpottinger> duralogbot can handle that, or maybe kompewter?
[20:40] <tdonohue> hpottinger: right, wouldn't the "measurement" just be the number of attendees? Duralogbot doesn't actually measure the number of "lurkers", but you could determine who joined around meeting time and who actually said something
[20:41] <tdonohue> (as that's all logged, obviously)
[20:41] <hpottinger> ah, and we could data-mine the previous logs, too, to get a baseline
[20:42] <mhwood> I just realized that either 1400 or 1500 will be hard for me to attend on alternate Tuesdays, as I have a SCRUM planning meeting at that time. But I'll do what I can.
[20:43] <hpottinger> We're still talking Wednesdays, correct?
[20:43] <pbecker> Is there a reason to change the day to tuesday?
[20:43] <tdonohue> As a very rough sample...in this meeting right now, as far as I can tell, we have only 5 active attendees (hpottinger, mhwood, PeterDietz, pbecker & I).
[20:43] <tdonohue> we'd stick with Weds
[20:44] <tdonohue> So, it'd be Weds at 14/15UTC, and then Weds at 20UTC. (Tuesdays are bad for me as well)
[20:44] <mhwood> Oh, I'm looking at the top of the chart, not the bottom.
[20:44] <hpottinger> the timeanddate.com link starts with Tuesday, even though I gave it a Wednesday date, it just has a very inclusive idea of time
[20:44] <mhwood> Up there it's mostly Tuesday.
[20:45] <hpottinger> In NZ it's Thursday :-)
[20:46] <mhwood> I have a 15-minute meeting daily at 09:45 ET, but these are short.
[20:47] <tdonohue> So, I think the next step here is to propose this meeting change to the Committers. I just want to get quick feedback on 14 vs 15 UTC from folks in Europe, and then we can start doing this sometime in the next few weeks.
[20:47] <mhwood> 1500 Wednesdays would be better for me, but I can adapt.
[20:47] <hpottinger> pbecker: pick your time :-)
[20:48] <tdonohue> As our only European person in attendance today, pbecker do you have any preferences between 14 vs. 15 UTC?
[20:48] <pbecker> 14/15 both are okay for me.
[20:48] <pbecker> :-)
[20:48] <tdonohue> 15UTC is ever so slightly better for me too. But, I can do 14UTC
[20:48] <mhwood> Wow, you are the representative for all of Europe today.
[20:48] <hpottinger> it's lucky for us you came today
[20:48] <pbecker> wow
[20:49] <pbecker> excited how many attendes will be on the first 14/15UTC meeting. ;-)
[20:49] <tdonohue> ok, so I'll send an email to Commiters about this idea and we'll see where it goes.
[20:49] <hpottinger> I agree 15UTC is better for me as well
[20:50] <pbecker> as I said before: the actual time ist the biggest blocker for me in attending the meeting.
[20:50] <mhwood> Thanks tdonohue.
[20:50] <tdonohue> Right now, I suspect that next week (April 16) we will still be at 20:00UTC. But, hopefully by end of April we can have our first 14/15UTC meeting
[20:50] <hpottinger> yeah, it'll be great to have more people here
[20:51] <hpottinger> not complaining about present company, mind you
[20:51] <pbecker> It should be announced with enough time to the first meeting with the new time.
[20:52] <tdonohue> So, that's really the last agenda item for today's meeting. Are there any other topics to bring up? Anyone have anything they'd like to discuss / have questions on?
[20:53] <tdonohue> pbecker: yep, I agree we need to announce the new time well in advance. That's why I suspect next week we'll still be at 20 UTC :)
[20:54] <tdonohue> not hearing any other topics...so, I guess we'll just close up early today. I'll still be around here for a while if anything comes up
[20:55] <pbecker> So I'm leaving, bye!
[20:55] <tdonohue> thanks for joining us! bye, pbecker
[20:55] <mhwood> 'bye, all.
[20:55] * pbecker (55d433d5@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[21:02] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:09] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:54] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-179-112-246.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:04] * edInCo (~smuxi@seta.coalliance.org) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:35] * PeterDietz (~peterdiet@dietz72m1.lib.ohio-state.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.