#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-05-07

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:42] -verne.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:42] -verne.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:42] -verne.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:42] -verne.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:42] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:42] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:42] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[12:06] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:29] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-179-112-246.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[18:50] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:42] * trmurakami (c890d2f8@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting. Today's agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-05-07
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-05-07 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-05-07
[20:01] <tdonohue> Starting off with a few general announcements/reminders...
[20:02] <tdonohue> if you are going to be at OR14 in Helsinki, reminder we are having a DSpace Developers face-to-face meeting on Monday morning. Please signup at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-06-09+-+OR14+Meeting
[20:02] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-06-09 - OR14 Meeting - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-06-09+-+OR14+Meeting
[20:03] <tdonohue> Also, for Committers. I'm still looking for a few good DSpace 5.0 Release Team members! Haven't heard much, and am going to start "virtually knocking on doors" soon. I think we only have one team member so far
[20:05] <tdonohue> (Just a reminder that the 5.0 Release Team role is not all that "hard" or time consuming. Plus, it looks great on your CV/resume and it gives you & your institution more control over what gets into 5.0)
[20:05] <tdonohue> In any case...that's it for the official announcements :)
[20:06] <hpottinger> It's really not hard at all
[20:07] <tdonohue> Oh, and I forgot to mention. If anyone has agenda topics for the OR14 DSpace Developers face-to-face meeting, you are welcome to add them to the list of "possible topics" (on the above wiki page)
[20:08] <tdonohue> Moving on.. I'll admit, today's agenda is a bit "light" on details. Mostly, I just wanted to check in on recently talked about bug-fix releases (3.3 and 4.2), and then see what else we'd like to chat about :)
[20:09] <mhwood> I must admit that I've been distracted and have not got 3.3 pulled together yet.
[20:10] <hpottinger> a while back I took the 4.0 release schedule and overlayed it on a 2014 calendar, so I'd have ballpark dates for things
[20:11] <tdonohue> hpottinger: do you want to get that posted on our 5.0 timeline (just for some ballpark dates)? Would like to have *something* to go on at OR14, since I know folks will ask
[20:12] <tdonohue> mhwood: understandable. To be honest, I sorta feel like both 3.3 & 4.2 are "stalled"... but then again, our committer meeting attendance has been rather low as of late (except for the "Let's Talk Features" meetings, which seem well attended)
[20:12] <hpottinger> can do, and let me know if you need help "knocking on doors" no way am I doing this RT thing all on my own :-)
[20:13] <tdonohue> hpottinger: feel free to "knock on doors" (so yes, it'd be nice to have your help, if you are willing) ;)
[20:16] <tdonohue> So, one of the big questions on my mind is: Where are many of the Committers these days? Beginning to feel like these meetings are mostly a meeting of 3-4 (myself, mhwood, hpottinger and occasionally PeterDietz)... perhaps that's a topic I need to bring up at OR14 if not before.
[20:16] <hpottinger> re: 4.2 I'm in the same boat as mhwood is with 3.3, I do want to test DS-1906, with the hope of getting it into 4.2, but the staging server I'd use for testing I'm supposed to be migrating to a new location... so... working that dependency right now
[20:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1906 ] - [DS-1906] Shibboleth attributes may need to be reconverted - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:17] <tdonohue> (sorry to be so blunt here...I know it's a logged channel...just noting the obvious)
[20:18] <hpottinger> we did talk about changing the meeting times, and I'll note that the folks that changed meeting time would help don't appear to be here right now...
[20:19] <tdonohue> yep, I don't fault either of you on 3.3 or 4.2 delays. I guess my only advice is to "chip away at it". I'll send a note to -commit to see if we can get some more interest/help
[20:19] * edInCo (~smuxi@seta.coalliance.org) has joined #duraspace
[20:19] * trmurakami (c890d2f8@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:20] <tdonohue> hpottinger: yep, I realize. Maybe it's just worth changing one of the times to see what happens. I just never got much of any feedback from anyone who said they'd attend an "earlier" meeting :/
[20:21] <tdonohue> I'll see if I cannot get some more discussion on -commit going on...not really sure what the main difficulty is here. Could even just be an "everyone is swamped/busy right now" sort of thing, not sure
[20:22] <tdonohue> Sorry to take this whole thing a bit off topic...just needing to bounce a few ideas/thoughts around :)
[20:23] <tdonohue> regarding 3.3 and 4.2 though...I think we put out some calls for participation to the committers...see if we can start to wrap things up (as best we can) prior to OR14, if possible.
[20:25] <mhwood> Sure.
[20:25] <tdonohue> Is there anything else specific anyone would like to bring up (about 3.3 or 4.2 or even brainstorming 5.0) to chat though?
[20:25] <hpottinger> timeline goes here? https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status
[20:26] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.0 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status
[20:26] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:26] <tdonohue> One thing to mention briefly... I'm attending the first official "face-to-face" DSpace Steering Group meeting in Indianapolis (in mhwood's neck of woods) tomorrow & Fri. So, I'll report out based on what is discussed there, etc. (most of it is prep for what to talk about at OR14 regarding Vision work and how to organize Governance)
[20:26] <tdonohue> hpottinger: yep, that's where the timeline goes!
[20:27] <mhwood> Oh, welcome to Indy!
[20:28] <tdonohue> yep, I'll be coming in on a whirlwind tour (just there from about noon tomorrow to noon on Fri) :)
[20:28] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) Quit (Client Quit)
[20:28] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:29] <tdonohue> and there's, PeterDietz ;)
[20:29] <PeterDietz> Hi All, sorry, Had some things come up.
[20:30] <PeterDietz> Very minor update, since I've had to fresh-install on an ubuntu, and OSX, I've been updating the unofficial install guide
[20:30] <tdonohue> no problem. We're basically to an "open agenda" at this point. If there's anything anyone wants to discuss, throw it out there :)
[20:31] <tdonohue> PeterDietz: nice.
[20:31] <PeterDietz> This would be the OSX one. https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=55904164 I haven't actually transfer the ubuntu guide to confluence.
[20:31] <kompewter> [ Install DSpace on OSX (2014) - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=55904164
[20:32] <hpottinger> 5.0 timeline updated, now with extra vague release date :-) https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status
[20:32] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.0 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status
[20:35] <PeterDietz> Another thing I've been working on this past week, is for request-a-copy for non-OA things (i.e. embargo). Around introducing some type of help-desk feature, where instead of the original author getting the request, the repo-admin gets it. The next step is to add a "contact author" button, and a "contact requester" button.
[20:36] <PeterDietz> mhwood has already once'd-over the help-desk half of it. Thanks for the review.
[20:36] <mhwood> I did? Maybe I can remember....
[20:37] <hpottinger> PRs?
[20:37] <mhwood> Oh, yes, it's coming back to me.
[20:37] <tdonohue> Maybe a naive question: Should that be "contact depositor" instead of "contact author"? How does one really contact the author *unless* they are the depositor?
[20:39] <tdonohue> beyond that though, I like the idea, honestly.
[20:40] <PeterDietz> Right, so thats where the helpdesk concept was conceived. Since depositor could likely be some content-ingest team, they aren't guaranteed to connect to author
[20:40] <tdonohue> gotcha. yea, I like that aspect of it.
[20:41] <PeterDietz> abolini added something where you can add an email address to a real author
[20:42] <PeterDietz> The helpdesk idea, from the people we've been chatting with said the helpdesk is good, since these librarian folk might have to do some leg-work to track down an author. i.e. (1) ePerson.email, (2) Lookup Author in University Faculty Directory.email, (3) Lookup author, send them snail mail if neccessary.
[20:43] <PeterDietz> I don't want to build a full-blown track-the-author app, but a simple page with buttons that help you send out emails to relevant peeps
[20:43] <tdonohue> Right. Yea, the helpdesk idea sounds much more reasonable to me, because as you stated, they likely will have access to resources to manually lookup the author contact info.
[20:44] <tdonohue> So, it sounds like a great idea to me
[20:45] <tdonohue> Any other works in progress folks want to talk about? Or brainstorms?
[20:46] <hpottinger> I wonder if this simple page with buttons could be made to utilize the forthcoming "authority cache" that @mire is building for the ORCID integration?
[20:46] <mhwood> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1945
[20:46] <kompewter> [ [DS-1945] Allow override so helpdesk can receive all Request Copy emails instead of submitter - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1945
[20:46] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1945 ] - [DS-1945] Allow override so helpdesk can receive all Request Copy emails instead of submitter - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:48] <PeterDietz> One brainstorm would be for the creation of a DSoC. Duraspace Summer of Code. Hire some eager open-source-enthusiast students to attack the PR queue, and give love-and-feeding to lost PR's (i.e. go the extra mile to bridge a joe-contributor hard-coded-approach contribution, to be i18n/tested/Spring DI/etc)
[20:48] <mhwood> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/530
[20:48] <kompewter> [ DS-1945 RequestItem to have Helpdesk be contacted instead of author by peterdietz · Pull Request #530 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/530
[20:48] <PeterDietz> i.e. There are two implementations of CAS Auth, ideally, one becomes the victor, and gets merged in. I'm not keen as to where they're at though
[20:49] <mhwood> Actually one is CAS 2 and the other is CAS 3, I think. So we may need both. And one of them is languishing because I haven't gotten back to it.
[20:49] <hpottinger> turn these students loose with this: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1980?filter=12102
[20:49] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1980 ] - [DS-1980] &quot;Private&quot; Items should include a &quot;noindex&quot; meta tag in the HTML - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:50] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1980?filter=12102
[20:50] <mhwood> (CAS at IU has been incompatible with stock CAS, so I have to do my own setup. They are promising a new, compatible release RSN.)
[20:51] <hpottinger> this link might be better: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=labels+%3D+low_hanging_fruit
[20:51] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=labels+%3D+low_hanging_fruit
[20:52] <PeterDietz> Further, I would be interested in some type of "getting started with DSpace <x>", where < x > is one of development, administration, JUnit Testing.. Mainly, I don't know how to convert my zero-test-coverage module, into a tested module. i.e. Where do I begin
[20:52] <tdonohue> A DuraSpace Summer of Code is a nice brainstorm. The only issue is finding ways to staff the organization of it...and if we were actually *paying* students, we'd need to find the funding (which would likely need approval of our DSpace Steering Group, since they now control the DSpace "purse strings")
[20:53] <tdonohue> (by "staff the organization of it", I really just mean that it sounds like a bit of work to advertise, recruit students, select students, etc.. So, we'd need to figure out a way to make that happen)
[20:54] <tdonohue> One of the big advantages of Google Summer of Code is that Google really does all the organization legwork...all we have to do is try to attract students and then select them
[20:55] <tdonohue> PeterDietz: I completely agree on the "Getting started with DSpace <x>" idea...sounds great. Just need to find folks to help document those various parts, etc.
[20:56] <hpottinger> we could bootstrap it: https://www.bountysource.com/
[20:56] <kompewter> [ Bountysource ] - https://www.bountysource.com/
[20:57] <tdonohue> yea, if we could leverage something like bountysource to pay students (or really whomever wants to help), that might be another way of tackling these tasks
[20:58] * pbecker (55d42054@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:58] <pbecker> Hi *
[20:58] <hpottinger> Hi, pbecker!
[20:59] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: My MacBook Pro has gone to sleep. ZZZzzz…)
[21:00] <hpottinger> so, I have to bail out of this meeting right on time today, have to drive kids all over town
[21:00] <pbecker> Is there any toppic discussed currently or may I ask one or two questions?
[21:00] <tdonohue> These are all good ideas/brainstorms, honestly. Might be something I could find a way to either run by the Steering Group or others in DuraSpace. I think the big issue is funding/staffing... DSpace doesn't have much funded staff at this time (I'm on 60% on DSpace). But, the Steering Group is hoping to help change that...so I think we should be able to find ways to achieve / try out some of these ideas in the future.
[21:01] <tdonohue> pbecker: I think we're finishing up a thread of discussion. So, you can ask your questions
[21:01] <hpottinger> I think that if any institution really wants to see a feature get worked, they might consider trying out bountysource, and see what happens
[21:02] <tdonohue> hpottinger ++ Yea, really anyone could try out bountysource right away and report back on how well it has or has not worked
[21:02] <hpottinger> DS-1927 would probably be a good candidate
[21:02] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1927 ] - [DS-1927] Make dependencies on dc.contributor.* configurable - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:04] <pbecker> Who is the plan to make the developper meeting alternating at two times?
[21:04] <pbecker> s/Who/How
[21:04] <kompewter> pbecker meant to say: How is the plan to make the developper meeting alternating at two times?
[21:05] <hpottinger> pbecker: no plan, not much discussion amongst the committers about it
[21:05] <pbecker> So that meens it won't happen?
[21:06] <pbecker> I called cjuergen two days ago, and she aggreed with me, that the late time is hard for european developpers.
[21:06] <tdonohue> pbecker: unfortunately I haven't been able to get any feedback from committers on it. There's been almost no response from them.
[21:07] <hpottinger> tdonohue: maybe we just "declare a change" and see what happens?
[21:07] <tdonohue> I'm not against trying it...I was just hoping for some sort of response/feedback from our european committers
[21:08] <hpottinger> yeah, some indicatino that the times we'd picked would work for them would have helped move things along
[21:09] <pbecker> I'm not a committer, but I hope it will happen. The current time is disagreable.
[21:10] <pbecker> I have another toppic, if you have some time left?
[21:10] <tdonohue> So, the two times we had offered up were either 14:00 UTC or 15:00 UTC for an earlier meeting. Unfortunately when I asked everyone, I didn't get any response on which was more favorable...which was essentially what caused it to "stall"
[21:11] <hpottinger> we also floated an idea of 3 times
[21:11] <hpottinger> (though the 3rd time also needed a facilitator)
[21:11] <tdonohue> The 3 times idea is "not possible" without some other meeting facilitator (as I cannot manage 3 times myself) :)
[21:11] <mhwood> I have to leave, but I will check the log later.
[21:12] <hpottinger> thanks for the reminder, mhwood, I should go, too
[21:12] <pbecker> Bye mhwiid
[21:12] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:12] <tdonohue> I could just go ahead and "declare" that we're going to alternate meeting times for a bit and see what happens...I admit, I was just waiting on more feedback.
[21:12] <pbecker> Sorry, meant mhwood of course. (Typing on my tablet)
[21:12] <pbecker> Tdonohue: that would be great! Both times are fine for me.
[21:13] <tdonohue> I need to leave shortly as well, unfortunately
[21:14] <pbecker> Sorry, couldn't make it earlier.
[21:14] <tdonohue> it's ok. understandable
[21:14] <pbecker> Just one short other thing. It would really help me if DS-1991 could get a review and hopefully a merge soon.
[21:14] <hpottinger> in case you need it, here's my +1 on any alternating meeting time idea
[21:14] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1991 ] - [DS-1991] Workardoung for DS-1990 for DOIIdentifierProvider - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:15] <pbecker> So if anybody could take a look in the next few days (or weeks), it would be grat.
[21:15] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:17] <tdonohue> At a glance, it seems reasonable. But, I'm not sure if I'll get to testing it in the nearterm, but can try and help remind others as well
[21:18] <pbecker> Okay, thanks.
[21:19] <pbecker> If I can do anything to help anybody testing it, just give me a note...
[21:19] <tdonohue> sorry, I'm just a bit swamped these days... I've got a lot to prep for the upcoming Open Repositories 2014 conference in June. So, I don't have as much time myself to do detailed testing, etc.
[21:20] <pbecker> No problem, have a nice day!
[21:20] <tdonohue> you too!
[21:22] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:23] <kshepher1> hi all, sorry i missed meeting, home sick today
[21:24] <kshepher1> just saw a prod from hardy on my phone ;P
[21:24] * kshepher1 is now known as kshepherd
[21:25] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) Quit (Client Quit)
[21:26] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-157-111.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) has joined #duraspace
[21:27] * pbecker (55d42054@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[21:33] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:50] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-179-112-246.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[22:07] * mhwood (~mhwood@2602:306:382a:2659:6a05:caff:fe00:f66d) has joined #duraspace
[22:12] * mhwood (~mhwood@2602:306:382a:2659:6a05:caff:fe00:f66d) has left #duraspace
[22:26] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: My MacBook Pro has gone to sleep. ZZZzzz…)
[22:36] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[22:38] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) Quit (Client Quit)
[22:39] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[22:57] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: My MacBook Pro has gone to sleep. ZZZzzz…)
[22:57] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[22:58] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) Quit (Client Quit)
[23:01] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[23:31] * edInCo (~smuxi@seta.coalliance.org) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:33] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: My MacBook Pro has gone to sleep. ZZZzzz…)
[23:33] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[23:40] * PeterDietz (~textual@rrcs-24-142-191-238.central.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: My MacBook Pro has gone to sleep. ZZZzzz…)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.