#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-07-02

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:02] * edInCo (~smuxi@seta.coalliance.org) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[1:10] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:955e:cee:cc14:afd8) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[6:34] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:34] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:34] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:34] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:34] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:34] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:34] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[12:12] * taichunmin (uid19896@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-keapkihafjafwjpn) has joined #duraspace
[12:17] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:23] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:04] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:7869:af23:96ac:d3b3) has joined #duraspace
[14:13] * taichunmin (uid19896@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-keapkihafjafwjpn) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[14:25] * monikam_ (~Monika_Me@monika.Princeton.EDU) has joined #duraspace
[14:28] * pbecker (~pbecker@55d437ae.access.ecotel.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:29] * PeterDietz (~textual@162-231-20-67.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:43] * edInCo (~smuxi@seta.coalliance.org) has joined #duraspace
[14:45] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:56] * anja (82587893@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[15:01] <PeterDietz> Hi All
[15:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting (today at 15UTC): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-07-02
[15:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-07-02 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-07-02
[15:02] <monikam_> ok
[15:02] <tdonohue> Agenda is pretty light today...so there should be a good amount of time for open discussion at the end (so start to think about anything you may be working on and want to discuss)
[15:03] <tdonohue> First up though... DSpace 4.2 (bug-fix-only) release is coming in mid-July. We've set a deadline of Fri, July 11 for any final bug fixes to the 4.x platform
[15:03] <mhwood> To be clear: are we now in freeze for non-emergency fixes?
[15:03] <tdonohue> 4.2 will likely be the *last* release on 4.x before 5.0...so if there's a bug that's been annoying you, help us fix it!
[15:04] <mhwood> I guess that's a no then.
[15:04] <PeterDietz> I have annoyance with mirage2, but thats non-official, so I can't complain
[15:04] <tdonohue> mhwood: no, "freezes" only apply to *features*. We've never had the concept of a bug-freeze
[15:04] <mhwood> OK.
[15:05] <tdonohue> The list of bug tickets that are still open for 4.2 are available here: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/11840
[15:05] <kompewter> [ DSpace: 4.2 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/11840
[15:05] <tdonohue> Anything that is NOT fixed by July 11 will likely be *rescheduled* for the 5.0 release near the end of this year
[15:06] <pbecker> DS-2012 just needs a review. the pr is a simple bugfix.
[15:06] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2012 ] - [DS-2012] JSPUI does not write column last_active in database as context is not commited after login - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:06] <tdonohue> So, we'd encourage everyone to help chip in on getting the last bugs out for 4.2!
[15:07] <hpottinger> mhwood: I would say that we definitely are now in "freeze" for things that aren't bugs but might be dressed up as bugs
[15:07] <hpottinger> erm, not that we ever do that
[15:07] <tdonohue> +1 hpottinger
[15:07] * terryb3 (~anonymous@ has joined #duraspace
[15:07] <mhwood> Exactly, at some point the RC has to start closing the door so that release prep can finish. It can close slowly, though. :-)
[15:08] <tdonohue> We definitely are "cautious" on last minute bug fixes...anything that may not be well tested or could accidentally affect other parts of DSpace may not "get in" to 4.2 even if there's a PR out there
[15:09] <monikam_> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2017 is a typo in documentation for vagrant
[15:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2017 ] - [DS-2017] typo in vagrant README.md - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:09] <kompewter> [ [DS-2017] typo in vagrant README.md - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2017
[15:09] <tdonohue> But, in general, we'd obviously like to fix as many bugs as we can in the 4.x platform
[15:11] <tdonohue> monikam: vagrant-dspace isn't part of the official "4.2" release of DSpace...it's got a separate, ad-hoc release cycle. So, fixes to that can be put in whenever.
[15:12] <tdonohue> Also, one last note on 4.2. robint will be performing the 4.2 release (and I may be chipping in a bit) on either July 11 or Mon, July 14. If you have anything you desperately want reviewed or to get into 4.2, feel free to get in touch with us, or email us on the dspace-release listserv
[15:13] <hpottinger> monikam_: is there a PR for DS-2017? I'd merge it right away if so.
[15:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2017 ] - [DS-2017] typo in vagrant README.md - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:13] <pbecker> Would be great, if DS-2012 could be reviewed for 4.2....
[15:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2012 ] - [DS-2012] JSPUI does not write column last_active in database as context is not commited after login - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:14] <tdonohue> sounds like Ds-2012 needs someone who uses LDAP and/or x509 to test
[15:14] <monikam_> no PR for 2017 it is just the one line
[15:14] <hpottinger> to make it official, I'm going to be testing the PR for DS-1906, hope to get it in today
[15:14] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1906 ] - [DS-1906] Shibboleth attributes may need to be reconverted - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:15] <mhwood> Yay!
[15:16] <pbecker> tdonohue: DS-2012 needs testing with all authentication methdos.
[15:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2012 ] - [DS-2012] JSPUI does not write column last_active in database as context is not commited after login - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:16] <pbecker> s/methdos/methods
[15:16] <kompewter> pbecker meant to say: tdonohue: DS-2012 needs testing with all authentication methods.
[15:17] <tdonohue> Before we move on to 5.0 and other topics...I just remembered something which I forgot to add to our agenda..
[15:17] <hpottinger> monikam_: I just manually editied the readme file for Vagrant-DSpace, you can cross that off your list. I will close 2017
[15:17] <monikam_> thanks hp
[15:18] <tdonohue> I had sent an email to dspace-devel about moving all JIRA notifications/updates to a separate mailing list. Is everyone OK with that? Any ideas on what to call that list? (Cause I've had no additional feedback)
[15:18] <pbecker> +1
[15:18] <monikam_> +1
[15:18] <mhwood> +1
[15:18] <pbecker> dspace-issues?
[15:18] <monikam_> dspace-jira ?
[15:18] <pbecker> wouldn't name it after a concrete product.
[15:19] <tdonohue> dspace-issues (or something like it) was my first thought too
[15:19] <monikam_> true issues is better
[15:19] <tdonohue> or dspace-support (but not sure if that's specific enough)
[15:19] <hpottinger> dspace-support would attract questions
[15:19] <tdonohue> true
[15:19] <pbecker> dspace-support may be ussed by everyone who does not read the reason for the mailinglist.
[15:19] <PeterDietz> support implies too much in my head. I'd stick with issues
[15:19] <monikam_> support sounds like helpdesk
[15:20] <hpottinger> dspace-notices?
[15:20] <monikam_> dspace-issues +1
[15:21] <hpottinger> or dspace-dispatches?
[15:21] <monikam_> dspace-tickets ?
[15:21] <tdonohue> dspace-tickets or dspace-issues seem reasonable. My only slight concern about "dspace-issues" is that it sounds negative
[15:21] <pbecker> dspace-tickets is fine as well.
[15:22] <tdonohue> OK, I'm going with dspace-tickets. I like that one better. I'll create the new list likely this week and notify everyone once it is created & hooked up to JIRA
[15:22] <hpottinger> dspace-tickets +1
[15:22] <mhwood> Whether it attracts posters is mostly irrelevant if only Jira can post.
[15:23] <hpottinger> "I subscribed to dspace-support and now I can't post"
[15:23] <mhwood> "Correct."
[15:23] <pbecker> dspace-tickets +1
[15:24] <monikam_> maybe it is possible to configure the list with a custom message - that says no posting
[15:24] <tdonohue> Yes, only JIRA will be able to post to the 'dspace-tickets' list. We can setup a auto-reply, or even tweak the 'reply-to' to go to dspace-tech or dspace-devel
[15:25] <mhwood> Sounds good. Thanks!
[15:25] <monikam_> +2
[15:25] <hpottinger> auto-reply +1
[15:26] <tdonohue> Ok, thanks for the tips on this one. I'll let you all know once it is setup!
[15:27] <tdonohue> Back to the agenda...the remainder of the meeting is really "Open Discussion". I put in a bullet on 5.0, but I didn't have anything specific to discuss. But, I *WILL* remind you all that 5.0 feature Pull Request deadline is early October (exact date TBD)
[15:27] <monikam_> I wrote some code that does bulk stuff from the command line
[15:27] <monikam_> see https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2019
[15:27] <kompewter> [ [DS-2019] bulk list and change commands - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2019
[15:27] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2019 ] - [DS-2019] bulk list and change commands - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:27] <monikam_> there is a readme
[15:28] <hpottinger> we had a discussion about testing going in #dspace earlier
[15:28] <monikam_> there is a PR and readme https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/547/files#diff-7
[15:28] <kompewter> [ DS-2019 bulk list and change commands by akinom · Pull Request #547 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/547/files#diff-7
[15:29] <monikam_> I missed your discussion on REST and so forth - but it may be possible to share code - at least where GET functionality is concerned
[15:30] <tdonohue> monikam_: Wow...I hadn't seen this yet.
[15:30] <mhwood> At first glance, Ds-2019 looks good.
[15:31] <monikam_> thanks :-)
[15:32] <anja> I have a question about writing documentation of features which are currently only PR. Where should it go? Wiki seems only for released things.
[15:32] <monikam_> the metadata-export and bulk lister have a little overlap too - when used to list metadata values
[15:33] <tdonohue> The concepts look interesting...I'd want to get others feedback on them as well. I agree, it might be an interesting to see if there's any code-share with REST that could happen. The PR (#547) is a bit messy though, as it seems like it has a bunch up old 1.8.x commits mixed in
[15:33] <pbecker> anja: did you see the DSpace-Space in the wiki?
[15:33] <monikam_> the metadata-export   and bulk lister have a little overlap too - when used to bulk lister is used to list items and selected metadata values
[15:33] <mhwood> I would write up a personal page on the wiki. It could be adopted as-is into the official doco. later.
[15:33] <tdonohue> anja: Early Documentation can go in the "DSpace" area of the wiki: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Home Or, you can even create it under your own Personal space.
[15:33] <kompewter> [ Home - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Home
[15:34] <tdonohue> anja: Essentially if you can put Early Documentation *somewhere* on the Wiki, we can move it over to the official Documentation area once the code is accepted
[15:34] <monikam_> I did a bad choice in Lister.java - i should have implemented an iterator - it works fine for my DSPACE instance but will blow on bigger ones
[15:35] <pbecker> I'll create a Ticket and a PR in the next few days: I want to add support to DSpace to export repositories contents as Linked Data (RDF serialization and SPARQL-Endpoint).
[15:35] <tdonohue> monikam_: Yea,...we'd need to test this on larger DSpace sites and likely improve anything that would blow up on them
[15:35] <mhwood> monikam_: There is still time to change that. Thanks for considering Iterators. We do too many things with arrays, without considering scalability.
[15:36] <monikam_> I will be much tighter on time - my new project kicked in - what is the best way to move forward efficiently - aka time wise for me ?
[15:36] <hpottinger> pbecker, that sounds cool
[15:37] <pbecker> hpottinger: thanks. the code is almost done, but it will be a bigger pr.
[15:38] <hpottinger> monikam_: reach out and find a tester or two of your PR, work with them to get feedback on your code
[15:38] <tdonohue> monikam_: One of the early things we'd need is to cleanup the PR. It looks like it was created off of a 1.8.x version of DSpace? It should be created off of "master" in order to ensure a clean PR. Plus, cleaning up the PR will let others contribute to your work.
[15:38] <monikam_> OK ; HOW wants to test DS-2019 ?
[15:38] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2019 ] - [DS-2019] bulk list and change commands - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:39] <tdonohue> monikam_: The PR is hard to test as is...it's got a ton of unrelated commits in there: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/547/commits
[15:39] <kompewter> [ DS-2019 bulk list and change commands by akinom · Pull Request #547 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/547/commits
[15:39] <mhwood> Bring it up on -tech, find someone who wants this feature and is willing to work on it?
[15:40] <hpottinger> it should be pretty straightforward to rebase your commits on top of master
[15:40] <monikam_> I think I did against master ; it says https://github.com/akinomwants to merge 246 commits into DSpace:master from akinom:prq_bulk_do
[15:41] <hpottinger> right, that's the PR, the branch you want to merge isn't based on master
[15:41] <monikam_> still leaning git - sighhh
[15:41] <mhwood> Where it came *from*, not where it's going *to*.
[15:42] <mhwood> I remember that sigh. It gets better, really it does.
[15:42] <monikam_> ok - will rebase
[15:43] <PeterDietz> Basically just grabbing all the commits starting at Feb 4 2014. I would guess checking out a new branch off of master, then cherry-pick from start...end would be easiest
[15:43] <PeterDietz> The PR included some old commits from Robin Taylor from 2011 for DSpace 1.8, don't need those
[15:43] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[15:43] <monikam_> cherry -picking I go …
[15:44] <monikam_> thanks
[15:44] * tdonohue (~androirc@2607:fb90:170f:b90d:5590:d236:416f:b97e) has joined #duraspace
[15:44] * monikam_ (~Monika_Me@monika.Princeton.EDU) has left #duraspace
[15:45] * tdonohue1 (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:45] <tdonohue1> ugh. My internet just went down for about 5 mins...sorry to drop off there
[15:46] * tdonohue (~androirc@2607:fb90:170f:b90d:5590:d236:416f:b97e) Quit (Client Quit)
[15:46] * tdonohue1 is now known as tdonohue
[15:47] <tdonohue> so, any other topics here? (trying to catch up via logs)
[15:47] <anja> I've done changes to how shibboleth assigns groups to people. Basically getting rid of the restriction ignore_scope or ignore_value, so that you can have both in your conifg.
[15:47] <mhwood> hpottinger, earlier you recalled testing discussion. There is some performance testing in dspace-api done using contiperf.
[15:47] <anja> Would this be something the comunity would be interested?
[15:48] <anja> Would this be something the community would be interested?
[15:48] <hpottinger> anja: yes
[15:48] <tdonohue> anja: might need more info on that. But, it sounds possibly interesting
[15:48] <tdonohue> (But, if hpottinger is interested, chances are others would be)
[15:48] <tdonohue> so, it might be best to see a PR, etc.
[15:49] <hpottinger> though, I dimly remember configuring around that limitation
[15:49] <anja> It is really to allow a more fine grain approch to assigning people to groups
[15:50] <anja> It is only one file - I'll do an issue + PR and you can have a look than
[15:50] <tdonohue> anja: that sounds useful to me, probably just needs a PR or ticket to discuss
[15:50] <tdonohue> sounds good
[15:50] <hpottinger> +1 useful
[15:50] <pbecker> I want to add support to DSpace to export repositories contents as Linked Data (RDF serialization and SPARQL-Endpoint). Code is almost finished. Will create a ticket, a wiki article and a pr in the next days.
[15:51] <tdonohue> sounds good, pbecker. Would be interesting to see and understand some use cases for, etc.
[15:51] <mhwood> pbecker: I think that will generate some interest.
[15:52] <pbecker> glad to here that. :-)
[15:52] <pbecker> will provide code and information in the next days.
[15:52] <tdonohue> going back to hpottinger (& mhwood) mention on testing discussion. It would be nice to obviously improve our performance testing of DSpace (especially around major releases like 5.0). Should we start up some docs on this on the Wiki somewhere? E.g. around using JMeter or similar?
[15:53] <hpottinger> yes, a writeup of PeterDietz's REST-API JMeter tests would be good, and if we can get them into the Maven build, even better
[15:53] <tdonohue> We do have some basic performance tests in dspace-api (as mhwood mentions) via contiperf. Those would be good to also enhance. But, I wonder if during Testathon we should start spinning up a "standard" JMeter test to run
[15:54] <hpottinger> with a "standard" set of AIPs for testing
[15:54] <PeterDietz> I currently have a spare cycle as we speak, and am playing with JMETER. Is there any way I can made a recordable screenshare session. i.e. informal jmeter webinar?
[15:54] <PeterDietz> hangout-on-air?
[15:54] <tdonohue> All "doable"...we really just need someone / somewhere to start from.
[15:55] <tdonohue> PeterDietz: are you wanting to just record a screencast to post on the wiki somewhere?
[15:55] * hpottinger fires up Google+
[15:55] <tdonohue> PeterDietz: or are you suggesting a live demo/meeting?
[15:56] <PeterDietz> If anyone wants to watch some JMETER, I can show some jmeter. Thats all I'm suggesting. You can then ask questions. Sorry if this derails the wrapup from the dev meeting
[15:56] <tdonohue> The latter (live demo/meeting) is what Google+ is best at. But, if you just wanted to do a screencast, here's some various screencasting tools that DuraSpace staff uses for our screencasts: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/KB/Screencast+Guidelines
[15:56] <kompewter> [ Screencast Guidelines - KnowledgeBase - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/KB/Screencast+Guidelines
[15:57] * hpottinger is lurking on G+ waiting for an invite...
[15:58] <tdonohue> Regarding a JMeter Google+ session, I'd try and attend if I'm meeting free whenever you are doing it....
[15:59] <mhwood> I think he meant *now*?
[16:00] <tdonohue> Oh, maybe you are correct :) I was reading that differently.
[16:00] <anja> I take it, that is the end of the meeting ...
[16:00] <hpottinger> PeterDietz: your G+ profile is incorrect
[16:01] <tdonohue> In any case, here...we are at our hour, and discussion is slowing down. There's not a ton to sum up here, but some good discussions. Just a reminder to chip in on bug-fixes for 4.2! You are also encourage you to submit new features for 5.0!
[16:01] <tdonohue> I'll also be working on creating the new "dspace-tickets" listserv over the next week, obviously, and let you all know once that is done
[16:02] <PeterDietz> I don't really know to use g+, but you can join this. It won't be exciting. https://plus.google.com/events/c22fgl68p24sqo9ofld8oegvchc
[16:02] <kompewter> [ Performance testing DSpace with JMETER - Google+ ] - https://plus.google.com/events/c22fgl68p24sqo9ofld8oegvchc
[16:02] <tdonohue> So, with that, we'll go ahead and close up the meeting here. Looks like PeterDietz is on G+ afterall
[16:03] <hpottinger> "live video broadcast will begin soon"
[16:04] <PeterDietz> oops.
[16:04] <mhwood> I now have dspace-tickets set up in my Maildrop routing and Mutt folder list....
[16:11] * terryb3 (~anonymous@ Quit (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
[16:13] * anja (82587893@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[16:15] * pbecker (~pbecker@55d437ae.access.ecotel.net) Quit (Quit: pbecker)
[16:46] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Later, taterz!)
[18:10] * PeterDietz (~textual@162-231-20-67.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[18:36] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:31] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:02] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:16] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:48] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:7869:af23:96ac:d3b3) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[21:54] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[21:55] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[23:25] * edInCo (~smuxi@seta.coalliance.org) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:56] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.