#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-07-16

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[1:50] * kdweeks (~Adium@kdweeksmac.lib.vt.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[1:51] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:bd15:4940:f983:736) has joined #duraspace
[6:25] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:25] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:25] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:25] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:26] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:26] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:26] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[8:22] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:bd15:4940:f983:736) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[12:07] * mhwood (mwood@ has joined #duraspace
[12:22] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:19] * pbecker (~pbecker@55d437ae.access.ecotel.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:14] * monikam_ (~Monika_Me@monika.Princeton.EDU) has joined #duraspace
[14:18] <monikam_> tim - I just tried the new email list lnk in the email to dspace-devel and get an error
[14:29] * PeterDietz (~textual@162-231-20-67.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:37] <tdonohue> monikam_ could you explain what error you are getting? Are you talking about trying to sign up for the dspace-tickets list?
[14:40] * PeterDietz (~textual@162-231-20-67.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Quit: My MacBook Pro has gone to sleep. ZZZzzz…)
[14:43] * pbecker (~pbecker@55d437ae.access.ecotel.net) Quit (Quit: pbecker)
[14:44] * PeterDietz (~textual@162-231-20-67.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:00] <monikam_> going to https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dspace-tickets
[15:00] <monikam_> briefly shows the sign up page and then redirects to a page that says
[15:00] <kompewter> [ DSpace-tickets Info Page ] - https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dspace-tickets
[15:00] <monikam_> Error
[15:00] <monikam_> DSpace-tickets roster authentication failed.
[15:01] <monikam_> the link at the bottom successfully goes to the sign up page at https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dspace-tickets
[15:01] <kompewter> [ DSpace-tickets Info Page ] - https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dspace-tickets
[15:01] * robint (81d7ec36@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[15:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for the DSpace Developers meeting. Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-07-16
[15:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-07-16 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-07-16
[15:02] <tdonohue> monikam_ : I don't see any difference in the two links you just pasted into IRC. The error one and the "successful" one look like the same link to me?
[15:02] <monikam_> me neither - but the error is real
[15:03] <tdonohue> First on the agenda for today though is a notice about the new 'dspace-tickets' mailing list : https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dspace-tickets This is a new notification-only mailing list for JIRA ticket updates (which are no longer being posted to dspace-devel)
[15:03] <kompewter> [ DSpace-tickets Info Page ] - https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/dspace-tickets
[15:03] <tdonohue> However, monikam_ has just notified me that she's seeing errors when trying to sign up for that new mailing list. Is anyone else seeing the same thing?
[15:03] <robint> Hi tdonohue, could I briefly rudely interrupt?
[15:04] <tdonohue> robint: can we wait one moment?..after the dspace-tickets question. Then you can interrupt ;)
[15:04] <robint> No problem :)
[15:05] <tdonohue> Have others successfully signed up to 'dspace-tickets'? Just trying to see if anyone else is seeing issues in doing so
[15:06] <mhwood> Trying now.
[15:06] <tdonohue> Or, maybe no one else has tried yet ;)
[15:06] <monikam_> tim - I have signed up successfully - BUT for some very strange reason - when I click on the link in your email I get the error - after my browser briefly shows the correct sign up page
[15:06] <monikam_> when I click on the link in the error page - things work as expected
[15:06] <robint> I just signed up using the link above
[15:07] <mhwood> Subscription request confirmed
[15:07] <mhwood> email received: Welcome to the "DSpace-tickets" mailing list
[15:08] <tdonohue> ok. well, thanks for reporting monikam_. As no one else has seen this yet, I'm not sure what could be going on.. I'm hoping it's just a "fluke" or something. But, I'll keep an eye out to see if others see similar issues
[15:08] <monikam_> it looks like a fluke to me
[15:08] <tdonohue> robint, feel free to interrupt us now with your question
[15:09] <robint> Very brief, I made a bit of mess of releasing the language packs today so would be grateful if anyone with Sonatype access could login and see if its looks sensible to them
[15:10] <robint> I have no reason to believe otherwise, but would appreciate any reassurance
[15:10] <robint> Thats all, thanks
[15:10] <tdonohue> robint: are they still sitting in the Sonatype "queue" or do you want us to verify the end results in Maven central?
[15:10] <tdonohue> (just want to know what I'm verifying
[15:10] <robint> They still haven't appeared in Maven Central
[15:10] <robint> according to this...
[15:11] <robint> http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|a%3A%22dspace-api-lang%22
[15:11] <kompewter> [ The Central Repository Search Engine ] - http://search.maven.org/#search|ga|1|a%3A%22dspace-api-lang%22
[15:11] <robint> So really I was just looking for a quick sanity check in Sonatype
[15:11] <robint> Not that important given that it is just the lang packs
[15:12] <robint> I don't want to divert this meeting so feel free to move on
[15:12] <robint> Cheers
[15:12] <tdonohue> robint: One last question, did you already click "release"?
[15:13] <tdonohue> Just wondering which steps you did here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure#ReleaseProcedure-VerifyandReleaseStagedArtifactsinSonatype
[15:13] <kompewter> [ Release Procedure - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure#ReleaseProcedure-VerifyandReleaseStagedArtifactsinSonatype
[15:13] <robint> This is the point when I wish I had asked in private :)
[15:14] <robint> I am just going off to hit release now...
[15:14] <robint> Thanks!
[15:14] <tdonohue> It looks like you've "closed" them. But you never actually "released" to Maven Central ;)
[15:14] <tdonohue> No worries...I can understand that Sonatype's Web interface is quite confusing...it's the hardest part of the process, just understanding how to get things "sent" to Maven Central
[15:15] <tdonohue> After hitting "release" it'll probably take a good hour or two still for them to "appear". There's often a delay, just as an FYI.
[15:16] <tdonohue> Ok. Moving back to the agenda now.. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-07-16
[15:16] <mhwood> Speaking of dspace-tickets: take a look at the archive. Maybe we need a filter stage to render HTML mail to text/plain.
[15:16] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-07-16 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-07-16
[15:17] <tdonohue> mhwood: yuck, yea, the archive in SourceForge looks ugly. I'll see if I can find a way to tell SourceForge to expect HTML or similar (writing myself a note)
[15:18] <tdonohue> back to agenda. Main topic for today is 4.2 release. The 4.2 deadline is for fixes to be done by this Friday.
[15:19] <tdonohue> A few of us reviewed the "unresolved" tickets for 4.2 prior to this meeting (in our JIRA Backlog hour). There's still a few tickets that remain to be reviewed and either claimed or rescheduled though
[15:19] <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/11840
[15:19] <kompewter> [ DSpace: 4.2 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/11840
[15:19] <tdonohue> direct link: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2036?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%204.2%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20due%20ASC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC
[15:19] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2036?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%204.2%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20due%20ASC%2C%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20ASC
[15:19] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2036 ] - [DS-2036] DSpace upgrade with oracle database, no discovery results - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:21] <tdonohue> Most of these now have some form of volunteer to tackle. But, here are the few that are "outstanding"...
[15:21] <tdonohue> DS-2035, DS-1928 and DS-1958
[15:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2035 ] - [DS-2035] dim crosswalk has missing values - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1928 ] - [DS-1928] OAI-PMH Identify response well-formed but invalid - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1958 ] - [DS-1958] Discovery OutOfMemoryError when indexing Large Bitstreams - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:22] <mhwood> Looks like 1958 just reopened today, with a new PR.
[15:22] <tdonohue> yep, looks like it was just reopened 23 minutes ago. PR is still running in Travis CI
[15:25] <tdonohue> 2035 has a PR, which has a +1 from KevinVdV. So, it might just need a once over
[15:26] <mhwood> Currently assigned to me, but I don't know Solr well enough to judge some of this latest code.
[15:26] <robint> Got to run, thanks for the help.
[15:26] * robint (81d7ec36@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[15:28] <tdonohue> So, looking at these three... 1958 seems like the most important to get into 4.2. The code looks "reasonable" at a glance, but likely does need a few tests (i.e. just test that full text indexing looks to still work, etc)
[15:28] <tdonohue> 2035 seems like it might just be "quickly merged" (looks minor, has a +1)
[15:29] <tdonohue> 1928 sounds like it has two different solutions -- there's a PR, and then a comment from Keiji that the simple solution is just to remove the <description> tag from the Identify response
[15:31] <tdonohue> I'd be willing to claim & do a quick test of *either* 1928 (the PR looks good to me actually) or 1958, if someone can claim the other. Both of these PRs look reasonable at a glance...but I'd like to get a test in, if we can
[15:33] <tdonohue> Ok, sounds like no takers here? hmm... I guess I can see what I can do here...or see if @mire can comment more on how well 1958 has been tested
[15:37] <tdonohue> In any case here, the 4.2 Release Deadline is still *this Friday* (unless there's a major reason for delaying again). So, we'd definitely appreciate anyone who can chip in on testing or merging of the last few tickets. (And obviously, you need not be a Committer to help *test* a fix, and report back on whether you found it to work or not)
[15:37] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:54ed:b089:a4ca:4681) has joined #duraspace
[15:38] <tdonohue> Again, the last few 4.2 tickets that can use help verifying/testing are all here: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+4.2+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[15:38] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+4.2+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[15:39] <tdonohue> That's all the 4.2 updates / discussion that I had. We'll obviously update folks on the release process for 4.2 on the lists.
[15:40] <tdonohue> At this point, we do have time (20mins) for open discussion. One topic I'd like to specifically concentrate on is whether we want to try and support more Q&A on StackOverflow.com. The Committers have been chatting off & on (since OR14) about finding ways to encourage Q&A in other forums (as mailing lists are hard to search / vote up answers)
[15:41] <tdonohue> So, we've been brainstorming on using StackOverflow more. There's already a "dspace" tag there (but very few questions so far): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/dspace
[15:41] <kompewter> [ Newest 'dspace' Questions - Stack Overflow ] - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/dspace
[15:42] <tdonohue> As a sidenote: if you have a StackOverflow account, it is possible to "subscribe" to email updates to the "dspace" tag. I know many of the Committers have already done so. So, we are now "tracking" any new questions that come in there.
[15:42] <tdonohue> Any thoughts on this idea?.... or other brainstorms?
[15:44] <monikam_> did anybody look into whether the stack overflow questions come from people that subscribe to dspace-devel
[15:46] <mhwood> At first glance I only recognize one name.
[15:46] <monikam_> also the dspace tag does is not very active - Jul , Mar , Mar, Jan …
[15:46] <tdonohue> monikam_ : so far, StackOverflow is not very widely used for DSpace questions (only 21 in 4 years). So, I suspect little overlap. The idea here though would be to *replace* either dspace-devel or dspace-tech mailing lists, but perhaps to encourage more Q&A to happen via StackOverflow....so this would likely move some traffic from dspace-tech and dspace-devel to StackOverflow, but not all
[15:46] <monikam_> not sure - being in two places - is a good idea
[15:46] <tdonohue> right, there's currently very little DSpace activity on StackOverflow, because up until a few weeks ago (at OR14) very few Committers were tracking questions there...so there were many unanswered questions, etc
[15:47] <monikam_> two places means - looking for answer must be done in two places
[15:47] <mhwood> I guess you meant "The idea here though would *not* be to *replace*...."
[15:47] <tdonohue> whoops..yes *not* to replace dspace-devel or dspace-tech
[15:47] <mhwood> Two places: yes, that's why I just subscribed, so I can get emails and direct them to my dspace-tech folder with the rest.
[15:48] <mhwood> If you like RSS you can get notices that way too.
[15:49] <tdonohue> The big problem we are currently having on mailing lists (esp dspace-tech) is that it seems like there are many questions which seem to either (a) Be the same question over and over, an FAQ, or (b) go unanswered or get "lost" in the stream of emails
[15:49] <monikam_> two places in search for answers - how often do you think users look through the mailing archive in search for ?
[15:50] <tdonohue> So, this is why we've been brainstorming whether mailing lists are truly the best way to do Q&A. The advantage of something like StackOverflow is that the "best answers" get voted up and stick around and are easy to find (via Google). On mailing lists, the best answers get "buried" sometimes or are hard to re-locate
[15:51] <tdonohue> And on mailing lists the same questions get asked over and over.
[15:51] <mhwood> I keep my own archives of interesting listmails, ever since the SourceForge email archives trained me to not even think about trying to use them.
[15:51] <monikam_> good point - about good answers bubbling up - but if most activity is on the mailing list - stack overfow will no do much for you
[15:51] <tdonohue> Again though...this is just an "idea" / brainstorm
[15:52] <tdonohue> monikam_: I agree. StackOverflow without any questions is not so useful. So, the first step would be to encourage folks to actually ask & answer questions there...but it's hard to say how best to do that or whether it will be successful right away
[15:53] <tdonohue> I've been playing around (since OR14) with StackOverflow though...and recently realized that they *encourage* folks to even ask & answer their own questions: http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2011/07/its-ok-to-ask-and-answer-your-own-questions/
[15:53] <kompewter> [ It’s OK to Ask and Answer Your Own Questions « Blog – Stack Exchange ] - http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2011/07/its-ok-to-ask-and-answer-your-own-questions/
[15:53] <tdonohue> Which does mean that we *could* "pre-seed" StackOverflow with some common DSpace questions...as a way to encourage more people to go there.
[15:53] <monikam_> I like the idea of trying to avoid repeat questions and answers - if stack overflow is to work - most of the dspace a&a stuff should move over there
[15:54] <monikam_> so answering your own questions might be a way to do it and then pointing over to stackoverflow in the email list interactions
[15:55] <tdonohue> monikam_ +1 on both points. That's been my thinking so far...but I didn't want to jump in that direction before consulting with other developers, etc. We'd need to get many of us behind that
[15:55] <monikam_> that could be an as you go kind of thing - if there is a question on the mailing list that is a repeat - create Q&A on stackoverflow and link there
[15:56] * mhwood wonders if anyone has tried e.g. a Bayesian classifier to recognize FAQs and auto-respond. Probably the classifier should be part of a collection of tools that some rudimentary AI would try...argh, solution growing much faster than the problem.
[15:56] <monikam_> maybe a RoboKelpChat is the next step …
[15:57] <monikam_> RoboHelpChat yikes I need a RoboTyper
[15:57] <tdonohue> I was wondering what a "KelpChat" was ;)
[15:57] <mhwood> Crosstalk from that NPR story this morning about kelp-based beer?
[15:58] <monikam_> nope
[15:59] <tdonohue> So, it seems we really only have 3 of us here today (not enough to get a good "sample" of whether most folks like this StackOverflow idea, yet). But, does this seem reasonable? Maybe we need to start a public thread/discussion on dspace-devel or dspace-tech (or both) to see what others think and if they will help out?
[16:00] <mhwood> It's something I can live with, and it may turn out to be a great thing.
[16:00] <monikam_> there is two more other issue : are people as comfortable asking on stack overflow as they are on dspace-tech ?
[16:01] <monikam_> 2) the many little issues that DSPACE has, real or perceived will be much more public
[16:01] <mhwood> We'd need to give some advice: questions of opinion ("which is the best...") tend to get shut down quickly on SO. Send those to the ML instead.
[16:02] <tdonohue> good question, monikam_ I don't know the answer. RE #1: I do know that StackOverflow supports "anonymous" questions though (you don't need an acct), whereas dspace-tech requires some form of "signup"
[16:02] <monikam_> the plus side - people answering will collect wizard points on stackoverflow
[16:03] <mhwood> #2 may be the push we need to clean up the many little issues and the reasons we have many little issues.
[16:03] <tdonohue> RE #2: I'm OK with that. Yes, DSpace is a 10+ year old system, and as such has quite a few little annoyances. But, in order to get them fixed, sometimes we need to make them more "public"
[16:03] <monikam_> goto go
[16:03] * monikam_ (~Monika_Me@monika.Princeton.EDU) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[16:03] <tdonohue> mhwood: I agree with your point about ML vs SO. Some questions would not be allowed on StackOverflow, as they do shutdown any "subjective" questions
[16:04] <tdonohue> So, we'd need to clarify which questions we recommend on each
[16:04] <tdonohue> Ok, we are now past time...and I think there's only two of us left. So, we may as well close up for today. :)
[16:05] <mhwood> OK. Discussion seems to have wound down anyway. Probably ought to float the SO idea on -tech to see if it's attractive.
[16:06] <tdonohue> -tech or -devel? I was actually thinking possibly -devel first...to see if other Developers will participate...if so, then we bring it to -tech to try and encourage folks to ask questions there
[16:06] <mhwood> Sounds okay to me.
[16:06] <tdonohue> ok..will start a thread on -devel first, see what response we get there
[16:07] * tdonohue is heading into lurking now...thanks for the good discussion!
[16:07] <mhwood> Likewise.
[16:12] * PeterDietz (~textual@162-231-20-67.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[18:50] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:54ed:b089:a4ca:4681) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[19:09] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:c0e6:a6e7:2697:eb2b) has joined #duraspace
[21:16] * mhwood (mwood@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:21] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.