#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-09-03

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:45] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:45] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:45] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:45] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:45] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:45] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:45] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[9:42] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[10:10] * Jessedhammu (~Thunderbi@ has joined #duraspace
[10:10] <Jessedhammu> can anyone help me with dspace upgrade
[10:23] * Jessedhammu (~Thunderbi@ Quit (Quit: Jessedhammu)
[11:13] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[11:13] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[11:22] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[11:22] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[11:33] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[11:38] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:03] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:20] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[12:23] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[12:45] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[12:56] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) has joined #duraspace
[13:28] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:07] * peterdietz_ (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) has joined #duraspace
[16:08] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[16:08] * peterdietz_ is now known as peterdietz
[16:09] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[16:10] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[17:35] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[18:07] * kohts (5b4ea18a@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[18:11] * peterdietz_ (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[18:12] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[18:12] * peterdietz_ is now known as peterdietz
[18:23] * peterdietz_ (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) has joined #duraspace
[18:26] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[18:26] * peterdietz_ is now known as peterdietz
[19:00] * vtkeithg (~vtkeithg@vtkeithg.lib.vt.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:52] * robint (5eaf588c@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:56] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d5153D041.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers meeting. Today's agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-09-03
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-09-03 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-09-03
[20:02] <tdonohue> We'll kick off with a few of the usual "housekeeping" notes
[20:02] <tdonohue> 1. REMINDER that our deadline for Feature Pull Requests is in just one month (Oct 6). I know we always recommend getting Feature PRs in early though (and most of you already have), as it increases the probability they will be accepted for 5.0
[20:03] <tdonohue> 2. Again, we're still looking for 1-2 more 5.0 Release Team members. No prior experience required. You don't even need to be a Committer. If you are interested, get in touch with myself or the other 5.0 RT members (peterdietz and hpottinger)
[20:04] <tdonohue> That's it for the usual announcements... I'll keep it brief today, as you've all heard these before in past weeks, I'm sure
[20:05] <hpottinger> just to tack on to tdonohue's note that we'd like a few more RT members, the schedule is still a *draft*
[20:06] <hpottinger> It's basically the same schedule we always use, just adjusted to work with the 2014 calendar, but, still, typically the RT discusses and we all vote on the schedule
[20:06] <tdonohue> hpottinger...good point. On that note, I'd actually recommend we finalize the schedule today then
[20:07] <peterdietz> Things have frequently slammed at the last minute, so delays could happen if there is too many late things, or things past the deadline. Though the goal is to have useful, yet stable releases on regular release schedules
[20:07] <tdonohue> I don't think it's a good idea to go much further without a finalized 5.0 schedule (even if we are still in search of a few RT members). Developers need to know when the PRs are "due". If we keep the schedule tentative, then we are more likely to keep pushing back those due dates
[20:08] <robint> Unusually I think many of the bigger features are already out in the open
[20:08] <hpottinger> agreed, and as I said, this same schedule has worked in the past (for 3.0 and 4.0)
[20:08] <robint> happily!
[20:09] <tdonohue> robint: yep! I do agree, it's been awesome. I do think most or maybe all major features are already in PR form...but you never know if something is still "hiding" out there ;)
[20:10] <peterdietz> one of my goals still is REST + auth. I had a chat with kshepherd yesterday. There's no code, just an idea of something that would be useful. It could be wise to follow up with people who gave sweet presentations at OR2014, to say, we saw your awesome features, why not contribute
[20:10] <tdonohue> So, peterdietz & hpottinger, as our current 5.0 RT, do you approve the schedule posted at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status#DSpaceRelease5.0Status-TimelineandProcessing ? Or do you want to make further tweaks and come back to use with a final schedule?
[20:10] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.0 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status#DSpaceRelease5.0Status-TimelineandProcessing
[20:10] <hpottinger> well... speaking of big features hiding, anybody have anything like that? :-)
[20:10] <peterdietz> i.e. super Control Panel
[20:11] <peterdietz> https://atmire.com/website/sites/default/files/lindat-log-viewer.png
[20:11] <hpottinger> re: schedule for 5.0, it looks fine to me, has worked for the past 2 major versions, see no reason to change it
[20:12] <robint> peterdietz: does that trawl through the logs behind the scenes?
[20:12] <robint> hpottinger: agreed, stick with the tried and tested
[20:13] <tdonohue> Sounds good then. So, the 5.0 Schedule is official and is posted at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status#DSpaceRelease5.0Status-TimelineandProcessing
[20:13] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.0 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Status#DSpaceRelease5.0Status-TimelineandProcessing
[20:13] <peterdietz> Bram has a report on it. https://atmire.com/website/?q=content/open-repositories-2014-report -- Yeah, that thing must do some calculating. Its from Lindat / Czech
[20:13] <kompewter> [ Open Repositories 2014 report | atmire ] - https://atmire.com/website/?q=content/open-repositories-2014-report
[20:14] <robint> peterdietz: thanks
[20:15] <tdonohue> Any other general topics of note for 5.0? Or should we move along to reviewing some of the 5.0 Feature PRs which have already been submitted (as we've been doing in recent weeks)?
[20:15] <KevinVdV> I would like to raise a complete solution for the “metadata for all” problem, I fired a pul request for it today.
[20:15] <mhwood> Yay!
[20:15] <KevinVdV> Not sure if everybody has taken note: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/629
[20:15] <kompewter> [ Support Metadata On All DSpaceObjects by KevinVdV · Pull Request #629 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/629
[20:16] * cknowles (~cknowles@cpc19-sgyl35-2-0-cust180.18-2.cable.virginm.net) has joined #duraspace
[20:17] * hpottinger thinks he needs to devote a day a week to just play with incoming PRs
[20:17] <tdonohue> A summary of the PR is also in this comment: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1582?focusedCommentId=36960&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-36960
[20:17] <kompewter> [ [DS-1582] All DSpaceObjects should have metadata support - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1582?focusedCommentId=36960&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-36960
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1582 ] - [DS-1582] All DSpaceObjects should have metadata support - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:18] <peterdietz> KevinVdV++ This should be a really great improvement.
[20:18] <tdonohue> KevinVdV...how thoroughly tested is this PR? Does it need some banging on?
[20:19] <KevinVdV> Some baging is always recommended. I have performed a lot of test on it myself, but there are a lot of code changes & a lot of code to test…. so I’m not saying it will be 100% foul proof
[20:21] <tdonohue> So, it sounds like we need some volunteers to try out this PR...especially trying to migrate some existing data and play around with it.
[20:22] <tdonohue> It all *sounds* good to me, but I'd want to get some testers before we jump to merging...as it's a pretty massive (but exciting) change
[20:22] <tdonohue> And we need to be VERY careful that there's no data loss in the migrations, etc.
[20:24] <tdonohue> KevinVdV: one last question for you on this.. I'm assuming that since most of these changes are at the API level, that the UIs (and interfaces like OAI/SWORD/REST) all should "work"? I.e. is there anything left to be done other than test it?
[20:25] <KevinVdV> Well all that requires testing on a UI level would be to make sure that all data is stored (some metadata fields can only be entered in the UI)
[20:26] <KevinVdV> But beside that no changes where made to to the UI to support ithis.
[20:26] <tdonohue> wow. This is truly awesome, KevinVdV. I'm excited! I'm actually away for the rest of this week, but hopefully I'll find some time to try this out myself next week.
[20:26] <mhwood> It's nearly all just pushing Item methods up to DSpaceObject, right? The changes hide in there.
[20:27] <KevinVdV> Indeed mhwood that is what happens
[20:27] <mhwood> So the UIs should not see much difference.
[20:27] <KevinVdV> None at all
[20:28] <KevinVdV> But now people have the ability to easily add “metadata” on all objects
[20:28] <mhwood> Now, where is my ever-growing list of things I could do with that...? :-)
[20:28] <hpottinger> cool, discovery for collections, define a facet to round up your collections
[20:28] <tdonohue> dang. 5.0 is going to be a pretty amazing release. :)
[20:29] <cknowles> :)
[20:30] <tdonohue> OK. So do we have some other folks willing to help give some testing towards DSPR#629? I'll raise my hand, but I won't get to it until next week (likely mid-to-late next week). Others willing to help?
[20:30] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/629 ] - Support Metadata On All DSpaceObjects by KevinVdV
[20:30] <hpottinger> my repository admins have asked for this in the past
[20:30] <hpottinger> so, based on that, I raise my hand
[20:30] * mhwood tries to think how he will test.
[20:31] <tdonohue> thanks hpottinger
[20:31] <peterdietz> I'll test it as well. I think I wanted to include SITE as extending DSO, so that I could add some metadata at the site level
[20:31] <tdonohue> mhwood: my plan would be: (1) copy a production database....(2) spin up a copy of a Production site...(3) pull down the PR, run the DB migration scripts, (4) Test it!
[20:31] <peterdietz> i.e. a simple way to get some DynamicConfigs
[20:31] <hpottinger> earlier peterdietz brought up the lindat log viewer, I note that they have their code openly available https://svn.ms.mff.cuni.cz/repository/ufal_dl/
[20:32] <kompewter> [ Index of /repository/ufal_dl ] - https://svn.ms.mff.cuni.cz/repository/ufal_dl/
[20:33] <peterdietz> I think lindat is based on 1.8, tons tons tons of customizations. The git clone was kind of slow
[20:33] <hpottinger> you'd have to dust off your SVN skillz, obviously
[20:33] <peterdietz> I think it IS a git repo, just with svn in the hostname. Should a repository be penalized for having the software name in the hostname? ;)
[20:34] <tdonohue> Ok, sounds like we have a handful of testers for the PR #629. Anyone else is obviously welcome to also test it, and provide your feedback in the PR itself. Hopefully we can revisit this PR next week to see where we stand.
[20:34] <robint> peterdietz: what a daft idea :)
[20:35] <hpottinger> I dunno, I'm not in the metrics biz
[20:35] <tdonohue> So, I know robint also wanted to talk about his PR for DS-2108 today. Since I think we've "wrapped up" immediate discussion of Metadata for All, I'd suggest we move on to that
[20:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2108 ] - [DS-2108] Add an XMLUI aspect to report Google Analytics stats - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:35] <tdonohue> DSPR#615
[20:36] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/615 ] - DS-2108 Add an XMLUI aspect to report Google Analytics stats by robintaylor
[20:36] <robint> Thanks
[20:36] <robint> I am hoping this is uncontroversial
[20:36] <robint> Just an new XMLUI aspect, no changes to core code
[20:37] <robint> Bram has kindly done some testing which resulted in some changes to the instructions, but not the code
[20:37] <hpottinger> Mirage2...
[20:37] <robint> Yep
[20:37] <robint> just for Mirage2 at the moment
[20:38] <robint> but only because I haven't done the UI development for other themes or the JSPUI
[20:39] <robint> Its restricted to Mirage2 only because Mirage2 handles the incorporation on Javascript's a little differently
[20:39] <tdonohue> It seems reasonable to me. It's fine if it's just Mirage 2 for now, we'd just need to document that. Only immediate comment is that it likely shouldn't have it's own messages.xml
[20:39] <robint> ...and I haven't backported it to use the pre Mirage2 method
[20:39] <robint> tdonohue: agreed
[20:40] <mhwood> Hmm, I know I'm in the minority here but I like to see pluggables like Aspects having their own message catalogs. There, I said it, I'm done.
[20:40] <robint> I just created its own messages.xml to avoid the PR becoming unmerageable if other PRs got merged first
[20:41] <robint> happy to go either way :)
[20:41] <tdonohue> mhwood: while I agree in "theory", it's a huge headache for translators (until we come up with a better "translation" system). Doing it that way means translators have to "search" the codebase for a million little messages.xml files to translate
[20:42] <tdonohue> If we had a better translation system/process, we could split these apart more...but we don't have that yet
[20:42] <mhwood> I should try doing a translation myself, and then I'd know.
[20:42] <tdonohue> So, for now, we are stuck with one-big-messages.xml until we find a better way to manage translations per aspect/module
[20:44] <tdonohue> And, If anyone out there has ideas for better ways to manage translations of DSpace...we honestly need help/volunteers in that realm
[20:45] <tdonohue> In any case, back to 615...it does seem reasonable to me. Sounds like Bram is already testing it out and giving feedback, which is great. Just needs a few +1 votes (and documentation) to get it in
[20:45] <tdonohue> I might be able to give it a look as well, but wouldn't be able to do so until next week sometime.
[20:45] <robint> documentation nudge duly noted :)
[20:46] <tdonohue> yea, it looks like you have the starts to some good config documentation in the "google-analytics.cfg" file itself, which is nice :)
[20:47] <robint> Yeah, I just didn't want to put anything into the 5.0 docs unless it was approved
[20:47] <tdonohue> Anyone else willing to help give DSPR#615 a spin in the next week or so? Sounds like mostly we just need a few +1 votes here...everyone seems supportive of the idea thus far
[20:47] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/615 ] - DS-2108 Add an XMLUI aspect to report Google Analytics stats by robintaylor
[20:49] <tdonohue> OK, well, at least it sounds like we have Bram...and I'll give it a look. We can prod other folks later on as needed :)
[20:49] <robint> tdonohue: thanks, its not easy finding time to test PRs
[20:50] <hpottinger> my dance card is filling up, but I'll see what I can do
[20:50] <tdonohue> Any other topics / Feature PRs to bring up for today? We've got about 10 mins left....and I don't have another else on the agenda for today
[20:52] <tdonohue> We've got a quiet group today! :)
[20:52] <robint> Too busy testing PRs!
[20:53] <tdonohue> Well... with no other topics at hand, we can close up the meeting early today then. I honestly don't have anything else to bring up.
[20:53] <robint> tdonohue: Did you say you are away next week?
[20:53] <hpottinger> and, you all better be thinking about volunteering for the 5.0 RT...
[20:53] * hpottinger stares around the room
[20:54] <tdonohue> As a minor sidenote, I'm going to be mostly offline from Tomorrow through Monday. So, if you email me, I'm not ignoring you...I'm just not going to be able to check email. I'm heading to a semi-remote area of Alaska for my brother's wedding (he lives there)
[20:54] <tdonohue> robint: This week :) After today, I'm back in the office on Tues
[20:55] <robint> Enjoy Alaska : )
[20:56] <tdonohue> I hope to! It'll be a brief trip, but I've never been before :)
[20:56] <robint> Time to head off, cheers all
[20:56] * robint (5eaf588c@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:56] * cknowles (~cknowles@cpc19-sgyl35-2-0-cust180.18-2.cable.virginm.net) has left #duraspace
[20:56] <tdonohue> Yes, the official meeting is closed now. I'll be lurking around for a bit if anything comes up
[20:57] <KevinVdV> Also need to run, until next time ! Have fun testing the metadata for all pull request ;)
[20:58] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d5153D041.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[21:01] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:02] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:14] * vtkeithg (~vtkeithg@vtkeithg.lib.vt.edu) Quit (Quit: vtkeithg)
[21:26] * kohts (5b4ea18a@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:28] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:31] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) Quit (Quit: peterdietz)
[21:50] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-161174.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:57] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.