#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-11-12

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:36] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) has joined #duraspace
[1:04] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) Quit (Quit: peterdietz)
[2:38] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) has joined #duraspace
[3:07] * peterdietz_ (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[3:10] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[3:10] * peterdietz_ is now known as peterdietz
[5:19] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Quit: peterdietz)
[6:37] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:37] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:37] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:37] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:37] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:37] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:37] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[10:22] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[13:02] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:54] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:06] * peterdietz_ (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) has joined #duraspace
[14:08] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@162-231-22-3.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[14:08] * peterdietz_ is now known as peterdietz
[14:30] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[14:34] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:45] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:24] * peterdietz (~peterdiet@server112.longsightgroup.com) Quit (Quit: peterdietz)
[16:24] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-vypnutqwlnsyubxq) has joined #duraspace
[18:35] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[19:07] * terryb (~anonymous@ has joined #duraspace
[19:07] * terryb (~anonymous@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[19:07] * terryb (~anonymous@ has joined #duraspace
[19:43] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers Mtg: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-11-12
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-11-12 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-11-12
[20:02] <tdonohue> Today's primary topic is obviously the 5.0 Testaton, and 5.0 status in general
[20:03] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:03] <tdonohue> I'd also like to remind everyone that in the very near future, I'm going to be heading off to paternity leave. I plan to be here *next week* (Nov 19), but will be out & offline from Nov 20 to Dec 8
[20:04] <tdonohue> With that being said, I feel I probably should hand the keys of 5.0 discussions over to someone on the 5.0 Release Team. I'm glad to try and help prompt some discussions here, but we'll need the RT & Committers to take the lead here in the coming weeks.
[20:05] <peterdietz> Since last time. Hardy has released RC1. It had issues with optional modules being sent to sonatype. So an RC2 was cut.
[20:05] <tdonohue> peterdietz, as RT lead, would you like to give us an update on 5.0 testathon, etc.?
[20:05] <peterdietz> Some minor bugs have been found. https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/releases
[20:05] <kompewter> [ Releases · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/releases
[20:06] <peterdietz> We've got like 1 or 2 things on master, ahead of RC2. But haven't hit a BIG bug yet
[20:06] <peterdietz> show error page onclick in firefox, seems like the biggest, but that's kind of minor
[20:07] <helix84> well, there are bugs, there are just few PRs :)
[20:07] <tdonohue> Yea, we have quite a few bugs coming in already: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+5.0+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[20:07] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+5.0+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[20:07] <tdonohue> One "blocker" too...and a lot of ORCID related bugs
[20:08] <tdonohue> blocker: DS-2248
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2248 ] - [DS-2248] XMLUI Delete Community doesn&#39;t work - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:09] <tdonohue> Clarification: the list I sent was not just from Testathon. Some of these are older bugs, which we may or may not choose to fix in 5.0
[20:09] <tdonohue> (i.e. some could be rescheduled as needed)
[20:09] <hpottinger> if you sort by Created, descending, you'll see the newer tickets, the blocker has been around a while
[20:10] <tdonohue> hpottinger: have the link for that sort? I was just trying to find it
[20:10] <peterdietz> hmm. I wonder if the delete bug has always existed, or m4a introduced it. But yeah, a test for that case, and a fix would be good
[20:10] <hpottinger> can't gurantee this works, but, here: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2285?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%205.0%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC%2C%20due%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC
[20:10] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2285?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%205.0%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC%2C%20due%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC
[20:10] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2285 ] - [DS-2285] authority index - search by ORCID - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:10] <helix84> peterdietz: the bug wasn't in 4.x
[20:11] <tdonohue> hpottinger: that worked...and yea, it's a better view of the most recently reported bugs
[20:12] <helix84> tdonohue: is this resolved by Flyway? DS-1578
[20:12] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1578 ] - [DS-1578] improve clean_database ant target to work better with Oracle - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:12] <tdonohue> helix84: yep, that old "clean-database.sql" is gone now. Flyway has an automated script to do that (which is hooked up to ./dspace database clean)
[20:12] <tdonohue> I'll close that ticket
[20:14] <helix84> we may want to regularly go over has-pull-request bugs until release
[20:14] <helix84> perhaps during regular backlog hours
[20:15] <helix84> I also encourage all commiters to go over them when they have any free time
[20:15] <tdonohue> helix84: I think that's a good idea. But, I'm going to be reliant on you all taking that idea forward in the coming weeks. As I said, I *likely* will be around next Weds, but there are no guarantees with a pending baby :)
[20:16] <hpottinger> oh, yeah, I forgot I created 1578, but it's definitely cool that Flyway does such a good job of cleaning
[20:17] * Javier_ (c84567fe@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:18] <hpottinger> OK, next backlog hour, I vote we go on a "we can close this" hunt
[20:18] <helix84> Unfortunately, I don't see anyone from @mire here today. There are a few issues to fix with ORCID (which went in under the assumption that we'll resolve the bugs after the freeze, but before release).
[20:19] <tdonohue> I wonder if someone(s) would be willing to volunteer to lead these meetings (and backlog hour) in the coming weeks? I'd hate to see these ideas get lost accidentally, as I agree with the direction here
[20:19] <helix84> tdonohue: I suggest that we in RT lead DevMtgs while you're away
[20:20] <hpottinger> already scrawled a note on my white board, I will do my best to remember the idea
[20:20] <tdonohue> I agree, helix84. Just wasn't sure if you all wanted to organize more than "The RT will lead meetings" :)
[20:21] <helix84> hpottinger: don't wait for backlog, though. most of them need to be confirmed and as we all know, building dspace takes time...
[20:22] <hpottinger> helix84: it's less of a "talk about this" kind of note, more of a "do this" kind of note, no worries
[20:23] <hpottinger> anyone else want to go on a similar hunt? It's fun to close tickets, and even more fun to realize you *can* close a ticket
[20:23] <tdonohue> So, discussion is a bit slow here today. Are there any specific topics / bugs folks would like to highlight regarding 5.0? I know we want to ping @mire on ORCID bugs/issues. Anything else?
[20:23] <helix84> so, do we need to do anything more regarding optional artifact during release procedure or are we satisfied with the explicit -Dmirage2.on=true -P dspace-lni ?
[20:23] <helix84> hpottinger: I hunt all the time
[20:23] <hpottinger> DS-2040 I'd really like to see fixed by the time we cut a release
[20:23] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2040 ] - [DS-2040] AIP restore does not seem to work with cross-mapped items - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:25] * kstamatis (2ebe569a@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:25] <tdonohue> helix84: I suspect we may be able able to find a way to "fix" our Release Procedures for optional artifacts. But, it will likely require POM refactoring (which would need a volunteer). It's good we at least have the workaround of explicitly specifying them.
[20:25] <tdonohue> 2040: I agree would be nice to fix. Are you volunteering, hpottinger? Or do we still need a volunteer?
[20:26] <hpottinger> we need to make a ticket for that release-fixing work
[20:26] <hpottinger> re: 2040, wish I could volunteer, I'm supposed to be working on a repository upgrade
[20:27] <helix84> kstamatis: Hi, during today's backlog hour we noticed some minor omissions in docs from EKT (but overall, EKT is great in documentation!). I'd like to go over docs and some issues after the DevMtg if you have time.
[20:27] <tdonohue> I can create a ticket for the release-fixing. I have a possible brainstorm, but do not actually know of a solution
[20:28] <tdonohue> RE: 2040, I'd just hope it's not waiting on "me" (as the guy who did a lot of the initial AIP stuff)...if so, it's not something I'm likely to get to before I depart next week
[20:29] <peterdietz> heh, EKT is good at documentation.. Aren't they National Documentation Center?
[20:29] <helix84> indeed
[20:29] * helix84 raises one eyebrow
[20:31] <helix84> Ok, it's slow today. We may want to just pick up the backlog instead.
[20:31] <peterdietz> so. I don't know how exhaustive people are testing. Past years had checklists and such. Hopefully DCAT people, such as MPW have found time to test a number of features. I haven't heard too much voice of specific optional features to be enabled
[20:32] <helix84> I enabled most of the new features on demo. peterdietz, you may want to enable cover pages on a single collection.
[20:33] <helix84> Pascal is looking for a suitable triple store to enable RDF on demo.
[20:33] <tdonohue> Regarding Testathon, I agree, I'm not sure how exhaustive tests have been thus far. I do feel like we haven't had as many questions as in years past. So, it's hard to say what tests folks are doing. I *highly* recommend we find ways to keep encouraging and reminding everyone to test. RT might want to send out a reminder later this week, or early next week to help encourage more testers
[20:33] <helix84> We still need a SSL certificate for demo for REST (now requires HTTPS), for now we have a self-signed one.
[20:34] <tdonohue> Is there a reason we cannot just go with self-signed?
[20:34] <peterdietz> i had used fuseki for RDF in my testing. https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/568
[20:34] <kompewter> [ DS-2061: Linked (Open) Data support for DSpace by pnbecker · Pull Request #568 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/568
[20:34] <helix84> I just realized we may have lost the Feedback button on demo. I meant to check.
[20:34] <hpottinger> so, outstading todos: finish setup of LOD, finish setup of REST
[20:35] <mhwood> As we identify things that need testing, we should add them to a list of automated tests we would like in a standard acceptance test suite.
[20:35] <helix84> tdonohue: ugly big warning and likely a problem for machine clients (which REST is meant for)
[20:35] <hpottinger> and encourage our own repository staff to pitch in with the testathon, maybe even set up our own internal instances
[20:35] <peterdietz> any client will need to be taught to use invalid SSL cert. You can also disable REST's ssl requirement. It is assuming you will be passing sensitive data, such as credentials.. Unsafe things to pass from your local coffee shop
[20:35] <mhwood> Then when 6.0 rolls around, we can run the suite and extend it as needed.
[20:35] <helix84> mhwood: do we have a ticket for those?
[20:36] <mhwood> I will write one, if we don't.
[20:36] <hpottinger> +1 acceptance test suite, and mhwood++ for volunteering to write one ;-)
[20:37] * Javier_ (c84567fe@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:37] <aschweer> def +1 on that too ;)
[20:37] <mhwood> I will write a *ticket*. I will probably contribute some tests at some point.
[20:37] <aschweer> anyway, sorry, gotta run
[20:37] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: leaving)
[20:37] <hpottinger> work's gotta start somwhere, and honestly, just having a list of tests would be a huge start
[20:38] <peterdietz> So. our built in maven tests exist. But we're saying that for a test instance, we could redeploy, and then have a rest client run a battery of integration tests
[20:38] <tdonohue> I'd suggest we just disable SSL for REST on demo , if possible, as peterdietz stated. I really don't know that we need to have SSL on demo.dspace.org and it just seems like one extra thing to configure/maintain.
[20:38] <hpottinger> +1, the credentials on demo are known
[20:39] <tdonohue> demo is not meant to be a "secure" DSpace instance. It's just meant to be a place to "bang on" and try out DSpace
[20:39] <helix84> tdonohue: well, if you want to write a REST client, it probably needs to work with HTTPS, because REST in 5 requires it by default
[20:40] <tdonohue> helix84: I thought peterdietz just said "You can also disable REST's ssl requirement" above?
[20:40] <helix84> tdonohue: yes, but it's "one extra step" as you said (and not even documented) for the user to do
[20:41] <mhwood> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2288
[20:41] <kompewter> [ [DS-2288] Acceptance test suite - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2288
[20:41] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2288 ] - [DS-2288] Acceptance test suite - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:43] <peterdietz> We've got SSL for trydspace, but not for the temporary trydspace5. I've disabled it for the test
[20:43] <tdonohue> helix84: right, I'm just noting we should take that extra step on demo.dspace.org. It's easier than maintaining SSL across everything
[20:44] <helix84> tdonohue: I'm talking about the extra step for the user - who will test over HTTP, but his own DSpace will in fact require HTTPS
[20:44] <helix84> tdonohue: so there are extra steps for the user to switch
[20:45] <tdonohue> So, there's no way to turn *off* SSL in our REST API?
[20:46] <helix84> is it a financial problem? because setting up SSL on tomcat is 5 minutes, I can do that.
[20:46] <helix84> tdonohue: there is (though not documented). I'm talking about the user side.
[20:47] <hpottinger> I copied some of my notes on testing to DS-2288
[20:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2288 ] - [DS-2288] Acceptance test suite - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:48] <kstamatis> helix84: (regarding documentation omissions) sure, I will be here!
[20:48] <tdonohue> helix84: we can take this offline. Yes, it's partially financial, as it seems silly to pay for a full year's cert if we are using it for 2 weeks. Second, I don't think we should be encouraging developers to bang heavily on demo.dspace.org via REST (and if so, we can just tell them to turn SSL off on their end..no big deal)
[20:50] <hpottinger> I don't think we're obligated to support SSL testing with Demo, if somone needs that, they can stand up their own instance and bang on it all they need.
[20:50] <tdonohue> hpottinger++
[20:51] <tdonohue> demo is not meant for heavy duty testing. It will crash if used in that way. It's really just meant as a user facing demo (and oh, here's how the machine interfaces look/respond)
[20:51] <tdonohue> or, heavy duty *activity*. Testing is the wrong word
[20:53] <peterdietz> ok, what are the ideas for acceptance testing
[20:54] <peterdietz> I read the 2288 ticket. Would this be things like: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+1.6.0+Testathon+Page
[20:54] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 1.6.0 Testathon Page - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+1.6.0+Testathon+Page
[20:55] <peterdietz> hey tim. If you send a CSR to support@longsight.com, we will buy an SSL cert for demo.dspace.org
[20:55] <tdonohue> peterdietz: yep, I think so. In the past we did write out better testathon "scripts"
[21:00] <hpottinger> I made a 5.0 testathon page yesterday, feel free to add to it
[21:00] <hpottinger> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Testathon+Page
[21:00] <tdonohue> petedietz: it's not all financial...that's just a small part. I'm actually arguing that we aren't obligated to put demo.dspace.org behind SSL, and I'd rather not complicate our ongoing maintenance in doing so. I still don't understand why it's "required" here..and why we cannot just tell people that our REST interface is just using HTTP like everything else.
[21:00] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.0 Testathon Page - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Testathon+Page
[21:04] <tdonohue> So, back to testathon. What are our next steps? Do we want to send out a reminder email to folks next week?
[21:05] <hpottinger> yes, a general reminder, and also try to get *your people* to test
[21:05] <tdonohue> and each of us should probably try to do some tests as well. :) We shouldn't just rely on others to test our work
[21:05] <hpottinger> anybody want to copy/paste the testing "scripts" from the 1.6.0 testathon page to the 5.0 testathon page?
[21:08] <hpottinger> OK, fine, I'll copy/paste
[21:09] <tdonohue> Noticing here that we are in "overtime". Any other big reminders / topics for 5.0?
[21:10] <tdonohue> Otherwise, we may as well close out for today.... and remind everyone to take part in Testathon as well as review bugs and tickets flagged as "fix for 5.0"
[21:22] <hpottinger> OK, so, I copied/pasted: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Testathon+Page did minimal cleanup, I am sure there is more we could add
[21:22] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.0 Testathon Page - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.0+Testathon+Page
[21:23] <hpottinger> I know the meeting is adjourned, but, if anyone wants to tweak that 5.0 testathon page, be my guest, also, if any committer is interested in wrangling the 5.0 documentation, please get in touch with me or peterdietz, thanks!
[21:36] * kstamatis (2ebe569a@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[21:37] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Later, taterz!)
[21:40] <mhwood> peterdietz: REST is returning 401 Unauthorized for some Collections. Can I provide credentials somehow? DSpace 4.1
[21:43] <mhwood> Never mind, I see it told me right in the response: requires HTTP authentication.
[22:03] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:54] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.