#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2015-04-01

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:33] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-xjlymphkpeizgrwi) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[6:46] -sendak.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:46] -sendak.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:46] -sendak.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:46] -sendak.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:47] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:47] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:47] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:34] * Jesse_Dhammu (~Instantbi@ has joined #duraspace
[7:40] <Jesse_Dhammu> Hay guys
[7:40] <Jesse_Dhammu> i need to add some item types in dspace
[7:40] <Jesse_Dhammu> now, books, book chapter, article etc is there
[7:41] <Jesse_Dhammu> i need to add two more entries, Proceedings
[7:41] <Jesse_Dhammu> and reports
[7:41] <Jesse_Dhammu> how can i do that /..?
[10:20] * Jesse_Dhammu (~Instantbi@ Quit (Quit: Instantbird 1.5 -- http://www.instantbird.com)
[12:17] * robint (81d7fa56@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[12:56] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:32] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162188.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:24] * robint (81d7fa56@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[19:39] * mhwood (~mhwood@adsl-99-1-98-98.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[20:02] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers Mtg: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2015-04-01
[20:02] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2015-04-01 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2015-04-01
[20:03] <tdonohue> The agenda is a bit light today, I admit. Primarily, I wanted to touch base on 5.2 plans...where do we stand, what are next steps, and do we have folks willing to help with those next steps, etc
[20:05] * cknowles (~cknowles@cpc67742-sgyl32-2-0-cust219.18-2.cable.virginm.net) has joined #duraspace
[20:05] <tdonohue> I'm going to have to admit here, I've been a bit "out of touch" with 5.2 stuff (and recent tickets) over the last week... I've been busy clearing my plate of all other activities so that I can help lead the "DSpace Product RoadMap" development in time for OR15
[20:05] <tdonohue> Anyone want to bring us (me especially) up to date on where 5.2 topics stand?
[20:06] <hpottinger> we have some PRs that need testing
[20:06] <hpottinger> DSPR#894 is the big one
[20:06] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/894 ] - Ds 2486 reindex solr by aschweer
[20:06] <hpottinger> also DSPR#888
[20:06] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/888 ] - DS-2418: Incompatible oracle sql method on collection.java by ctu-developers
[20:06] <mhwood> Yeah. I've been off work this week, so still no result from me.
[20:07] <hpottinger> anybody have time to spare for some PR testing?
[20:08] <hpottinger> I'm not comfortable setting the date for 5.2 until 894 is in for sure, and I'd like to also test 888
[20:08] <tdonohue> I'm going to admit, I'm swamped myself over the next week or so...but, coming soon, I'll be nearly 100% DSpace (clearing plate of most DSpaceDirect stuff for near term)...but a large chunk of that time will be spent on DSpace Product Roadmap work.
[20:08] <tdonohue> I agree that 5.2 dates depend on 894 for sure...likely also any Oracle issues
[20:09] <tdonohue> Do we have a wiki page up yet for 5.2?
[20:09] <hpottinger> adding on to 5.2 list: any other PRs that *have* to be in before we set a date?
[20:09] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:10] <aschweer> hi all, sorry I'm late
[20:10] <mhwood> Welcome.
[20:10] <tdonohue> hi aschweer...we're just talking 5.2 updates
[20:10] <hpottinger> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.2+Status
[20:10] <hpottinger> (page doesn't exist, don't click that)
[20:11] <aschweer> it would be great to get some more eyes on https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/894
[20:11] <kompewter> [ Ds 2486 reindex solr by aschweer · Pull Request #894 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/894
[20:11] <aschweer> it can now do lossless re-index
[20:11] <aschweer> it can now also do incremental exports
[20:12] <aschweer> still need to update the launcher.xml configuration, and there is a claim that it does date calculations in local time but I think that isn't true, it uses UTC
[20:12] <aschweer> I haven't tested it at all on an authority index (since I don't have one with data in it)
[20:13] <hpottinger> aschweer: I'd just delete the local time claim, UTC is fine, I marked DS-2372 as "need code review" and linked it to DSPR#894
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2372 ] - [DS-2372] Export for ORCID authority cache - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <aschweer> I will be annual on leave for 10 days starting tomorrow my time, not sure I will have time to do much DSpace things
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/894 ] - Ds 2486 reindex solr by aschweer
[20:13] <tdonohue> I agree on the "more eyes" thing. Who do we target / how do we find that help? (As I mentioned before aschweer arrived, my next week or so looks like I'll have very little programming/dev time, as much as I'd like to help more. So we need to find more devs to chip in)
[20:13] <aschweer> hpottinger yes I was planning on just deleting the local time claim :)
[20:13] <aschweer> I still think it would be great to get some comments from @mire / CINECA
[20:14] <tdonohue> maybe email them directly, perhaps? Have we done that yet?
[20:15] <hpottinger> I sent @mire folks a note last week, and did a call-out in Jira with @nameing names
[20:15] <aschweer> I haven't, I've been using all my time on the code
[20:16] <aschweer> it would be good if people could look at the command line flags if nothing else, from a perspective of "would I know how to use this"
[20:16] <aschweer> I've asked local sysadmins to comment on that, I need to chase them up again
[20:16] <aschweer> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/894/files#diff-8598adb36e720567e6544bb48f6ce0b9R150
[20:16] <kompewter> [ Ds 2486 reindex solr by aschweer · Pull Request #894 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/894/files#diff-8598adb36e720567e6544bb48f6ce0b9R150
[20:16] <hpottinger> aschweer: would you be willing to write updated upgrade docs around the script usage?
[20:16] <aschweer> not in the next 10 days...
[20:17] <hpottinger> I will help, I have to work that out for our upgrade to 5 (as do we all)
[20:17] <mhwood> I made a note to at least inspect, if not try, this tomorrow morning.
[20:17] <tdonohue> Any basic docs you could draft up (with regards to the new command line flags) -- even just in the PR? Something we could build from?
[20:17] <aschweer> cool. you really should only need to run it with the -a reindex -i statistics flags once, for the upgrade
[20:18] <hpottinger> so... the other flags are "bonus features"
[20:18] <aschweer> np
[20:18] <aschweer> no
[20:18] <aschweer> the other flags help with the additional use case that people brought up once I had started on solving the upgrade problem :)
[20:18] <hpottinger> right right: bonus features :-)
[20:19] <cknowles> I’ll try and look through the flags - but on leave next week
[20:19] <aschweer> thanks cknowles :)
[20:19] <tdonohue> so, with regards to the "export" option in PR 894...does that make this old "./dspace stats-util -e" obsolete? https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/SOLR+Statistics+Maintenance#SOLRStatisticsMaintenance-BackuporExportSOLRrecordstointermediateformat
[20:19] <kompewter> [ SOLR Statistics Maintenance - DSpace 5.x Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/SOLR+Statistics+Maintenance#SOLRStatisticsMaintenance-BackuporExportSOLRrecordstointermediateformat
[20:20] <aschweer> no, the format is different
[20:20] <tdonohue> Ok, good to know
[20:21] <aschweer> but it could make sense to change my code eventually to take a list of fields, in which case the old one could go away
[20:21] <tdonohue> yea, I was just wondering about the "overlap" and whether it made sense to still have two export tools
[20:21] <aschweer> I think the old export is pretty much for import into ElasticSearch
[20:21] <hpottinger> so, it sounds like maybe tomorrow is the DSPR#894 testathon day, and we maybe write docs by Friday (if you have a chance to test, cknowles, you might be interested in helping write docs, yeah?)
[20:21] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/894 ] - Ds 2486 reindex solr by aschweer
[20:22] <mhwood> +1 consolidation of similar tools, where that makes sense.
[20:22] <aschweer> definitely +1 consolidation as well
[20:22] <tdonohue> If consolidation doesn't happen prior to 5.2, we'll need to clarify in the Documentation the use cases for "./dspace stats-util -e" versus PR 894....
[20:23] <tdonohue> It seems like in most scenarios you'd want to use the new PR, but we probably should say that
[20:23] <aschweer> I'd think, export for back-up purposes, use my code; export for re-import to ElasticSearch stats, use stats-util -e
[20:24] <cknowles> hpottinger you have permission to pester me on Friday to write/check docs ;)
[20:24] <aschweer> but I may be missing use cases for stats-util -e
[20:24] <tdonohue> yep, makes sense. It's just that the Docs *currently* say to use "stats-util -e" for Backup and Export
[20:24] <hpottinger> cknowles: excellent, I've made note of that
[20:25] <tdonohue> So, we need some Docs changes there for this new PR. I'll note it in the ticket, so we can track it
[20:28] <tdonohue> Anything more to talk about with PR #894? Anyone else raise their hands to help test? Even a non-Committer who may be lurking?
[20:28] <aschweer> I'm currently putting rudimentary usage docs in the PR, in the hope that it will be more accessible than the makeOptions method in the code
[20:28] <hpottinger> I will be testing tomorrow as well, if you're testing, pop in to #dspace so we can compare notes
[20:28] <tdonohue> +1 thanks aschweer
[20:29] <aschweer> oh, one more thing -- since the PR is currently coming from my branch, others can't change the PR. Should I change it so that there is a feature branch in DSpace/DSpace?
[20:29] <hpottinger> thanks, aschweer, and thanks to everyone else helping out right before they leave on break
[20:29] <aschweer> thanks everyone who's been helping with this
[20:30] <aschweer> I'm pretty busy with the rest of my work, so this has been pretty slow going unfortunately
[20:30] <hpottinger> aschweer: that's a good point, a feature branch might be a good idea
[20:30] <mhwood> Feature branch seems a good idea, since you'll be away.
[20:30] <tdonohue> +1
[20:30] <aschweer> cool I hope I can get to that before I go on leave
[20:30] <aschweer> (otherwise I'm sure one of you will be able to wrangle that)
[20:30] <tdonohue> If not, the code is in GitHub, someone can do the feature branch on your behalf :)
[20:31] * hpottinger steals code for a living
[20:31] <tdonohue> I'd recommend someone consider pestering @mire and CINECA again regarding 894...if anyone is ready and willing
[20:32] <tdonohue> (feel free to CC me in on the pestering, if you think it'd help to do so)
[20:32] <tdonohue> And, hi there @mire & CINECA if you are reading this later on ;)
[20:32] <hpottinger> one hopes that this transcript will be sufficient
[20:33] <hpottinger> tdonohue: would you have time to write them a friendly note?
[20:33] <tdonohue> this week, unfortunately, literally I do not :( I'm doing DSpaceDirect upgrades all day tomorrow (to 5.1) and am off on Fri.
[20:34] <hpottinger> oooh, sounds like you'll be in a position to test DSPR#894 :-)
[20:34] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/894 ] - Ds 2486 reindex solr by aschweer
[20:36] <hpottinger> I'll write a note to @mire and CINECA
[20:36] <tdonohue> Thanks, I'd appreciate it
[20:36] <hpottinger> brb, sorry, unavoidable
[20:36] <aschweer> thanks hpottinger
[20:36] <tdonohue> OK, so regarding 5.2. Are there other tickets we need to flag to "hope to get into 5.2"?
[20:37] <mhwood> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/milestones/5.2
[20:37] <kompewter> [ Issues · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/milestones/5.2
[20:37] <tdonohue> Oh, nice. Good. Someone(s) has already started gathering that info
[20:38] <tdonohue> So, now we just need a "5.2 Status" page on the Wiki to go along with this
[20:40] <hpottinger> back, yeah, helix84 made the milestone, I've been adding PRs to it
[20:40] <tdonohue> So, looking at the time...we have about 20mins left. I just realized another topic we may want to discuss briefly...a brief update on the "DSpace Product Roadmap" plans in the next few months
[20:40] <hpottinger> I'll make a 5.2 status page
[20:40] <tdonohue> thanks again hpottinger. You rock
[20:41] <tdonohue> We can either spend more time on 5.2, or I can give you all some updates on the "DSpace Product Roadmap" and loop back around to 5.2 (time permitting)
[20:41] <hpottinger> update away
[20:42] <tdonohue> OK. So, this is all coming out of the latest DSpace Steering Group meeting (earlier today)
[20:43] <tdonohue> As I've mentioned in these meetings before, the Steering Group wants a Product Roadmap draft ready for presentation/feedback at OR15.....this idea has morphed a bit over the last few weeks
[20:44] <tdonohue> I'll be leading this initiative (hence my development time in coming months will be minimal, but I will be nearly 100% DSpace for the first time in a while)...working with a Product RoadMap Team (Stuart Lewis, Richard Rodgers, Bram Luyten, Michele from CINECA, Maureen Walsh, Jonathan Markow, Ryan Steans) to develop what is likely to be two separate documents
[20:46] <tdonohue> 1. A Strategic Plan: which will detail our Strategic Goals for the software along with high level actions which we'd like to take to achieve those goals. This will be a longer term plan (likely 5 year, high level plan)
[20:47] <tdonohue> 2. A Technical Roadmap: which will be based off the gathered Use Cases, and begin to prioritize and describe various specific technical activities / sub-projects that we'd like to see happen in the next 1-2 years (i.e. next few releases)
[20:48] <tdonohue> Both documents will be developed on the wiki (completely open to all to view/comment).... I'll send along links to Committers and DCAT as soon as this gets started (sometime next week)
[20:49] <tdonohue> As this process will be *very rapid* (both of these will be drafted prior to OR15), we'll be asking interested folks to feel free to "follow" these documents as they are written, and add in comments/thoughts as we go.
[20:50] <tdonohue> As much as I can, I'll also try to bring back "what is currently being worked on" to these meetings...give a brief update, or at least link you to the latest work/section
[20:50] <tdonohue> Not all of this is entirely new (as I've mentioned it a few times before), but it will be getting started next week. It will also be taking a lot of my time, so I apologize in advance if I'm not able to chip in as much on the 5.2 release as I'd like to
[20:51] <tdonohue> Those are the basic updates...hopefully it all makes some sense. Obviously, both of these documents will be presented for feedback during the OR15 DSpace Interest Group day, as well as during the DSpace Committers/DCAT meeting at OR15
[20:52] <mhwood> Thanks for keeping us updated.
[20:52] <hpottinger> any news on that meeting?
[20:52] <hpottinger> (not OR15 in general, but the dev mtg)
[20:53] <tdonohue> The Committers/DCAT meeting? It *will* happen sometime on Monday (workshop day). They asked me to submit it as a "workshop"...it was accepted. But, it hasn't been scheduled out yet. So, not sure *when* on Monday
[20:53] <hpottinger> OK, so Monday workshop, like the past few years
[20:53] <tdonohue> As soon as I know, I'll let you all know. But, if you want to attend that meeting, just be sure to be there by Monday
[20:54] <tdonohue> Yes, definitely on Monday. Time is TBD
[20:55] <tdonohue> Any other questions on those updates? Or other 5.2 things we wish to discuss?
[20:55] <hpottinger> I had a chance to use "vagrant share" yesterday, to demo to a librarian here, "is this what you had in mind?" it was awesome
[20:58] <tdonohue> Not hearing any other topics for today then...
[20:59] <tdonohue> So, I'll share this interesting note (just relayed my way).... For those who remember Chris Wilper (ex-Fedora Tech Lead), evidently he just got hired by @mire...interesting
[20:59] <mhwood> Woah.
[21:00] <tdonohue> (in all seriousness though, good to see Chris back in our community. He went off to do some other non-open source stuff for a while, and is now back it seems!)
[21:00] <tdonohue> OK, well, with that, we'll just go ahead and close out the meeting for today. I'll be around here for a little bit if anything comes up. Thanks all!
[21:02] <mhwood> Got to go now anyway. Thanks!
[21:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@adsl-99-1-98-98.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net) has left #duraspace
[21:03] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-rvaiovehmdcqkhol) has joined #duraspace
[21:03] <hpottinger> cool, I like Chris, grats to him if he reads this
[21:04] <cknowles> bye
[21:04] <kompewter> bye!
[21:04] <aschweer> here is a new PR for DS-2486: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/905
[21:04] <kompewter> [ Ds 2486 reindex solr by aschweer · Pull Request #905 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/905
[21:04] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2486 ] - [DS-2486] Missing fields in solr statistics data from previous DSpace versions - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:05] <hpottinger> new PR?
[21:06] <aschweer> feature branch
[21:06] <aschweer> so you can add your commits :)
[21:06] <aschweer> I've also done a bit of squashing
[21:06] * cknowles (~cknowles@cpc67742-sgyl32-2-0-cust219.18-2.cable.virginm.net) has left #duraspace
[21:06] <hpottinger> aha, yes, that makes sense
[21:08] <aschweer> I've also sorted out the UTC claim and have updated launcher.xml
[21:08] <aschweer> usage documentation in the PR
[21:08] <hpottinger> thanks!
[21:08] <aschweer> hopefully now I don't need to stress about holding things up while I'm on leave :)
[21:09] <hpottinger> yep, no worries, we've got this
[21:11] <aschweer> excellent, thanks :)
[21:11] <aschweer> anyway, gotta go now
[21:11] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: leaving)
[21:12] <hpottinger> I'll email this out, too, but if anyone has capacity to test with Oracle, DSPR#888 needs attention
[21:12] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/888 ] - DS-2418: Incompatible oracle sql method on collection.java by ctu-developers
[21:26] <hpottinger> hey, tdonohue, can any of us make a new "release" in Jira? 5.2 isn't in there
[21:27] <tdonohue> yep, you should be able to. At least I think all you need are Admin rights on the DS project, which Committers have
[21:27] <tdonohue> I'll do it real quick though...takes just a sec
[21:27] <tdonohue> Wait, it's already there: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/
[21:28] <kompewter> [ DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/
[21:28] <tdonohue> We have two unreleased versions on that page, 5.2 and 6.0
[21:28] <hpottinger> I see... hmmm... I wonder why it wasn't showing up earlier?
[21:28] <tdonohue> dunno. it should have been
[21:32] <hpottinger> well, now I can set the fix version for a few tickets
[21:33] <hpottinger> this exists now: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.2+Status
[21:33] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 5.2 Status - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+5.2+Status
[21:36] <hpottinger> hmm... the list of issuse on that status page...
[21:38] <hpottinger> figured that out
[21:39] <hpottinger> time to focus a bit on Mirage2 before I have to leave, bye!
[21:39] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162188.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[21:49] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-215-0-161.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.