#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2015-07-22

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[1:20] * awoods (~awoods@2001:558:6040:4c:49af:cbf1:2812:422f) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[2:15] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-174-123-122.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[4:05] * awoods_ (~awoods@c-67-174-123-122.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[4:09] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-174-123-122.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[6:48] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:48] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:48] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:48] -sinisalo.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:48] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-107-22-210-74.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:48] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:48] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[10:34] * cknowles (uid98028@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-cqfrfvlwukafrksh) has joined #duraspace
[12:29] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:42] * cknowles (uid98028@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-cqfrfvlwukafrksh) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[13:09] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-73-45-154-218.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:30] * awoods_ (~awoods@c-67-174-123-122.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[13:38] * awoods (~awoods@2001:558:6040:4c:49af:cbf1:2812:422f) has joined #duraspace
[14:34] * cknowles (uid98028@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-rggxbmhveiyexarg) has joined #duraspace
[14:53] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-160070.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:37] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-stdxgwjzwvitaycb) has joined #duraspace
[16:35] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[16:42] * cknowles (uid98028@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-rggxbmhveiyexarg) Quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
[17:37] -christel- [Global Notice] Hey folks, FOSSCON 2015 is coming up in just a month in Philadelphia. Saturday August 22nd at 9am. If you're in 6the area or can make it, stop by http://fosscon.us/Attend for more details and to register.
[17:40] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:498d:13f2:ac10:781) has joined #duraspace
[19:46] * kshepherd (~kim@lbdigs29.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[19:47] * kshepherd (~kim@ has joined #duraspace
[19:58] * cknowles (~cknowles@cpc67742-sgyl32-2-0-cust219.18-2.cable.virginm.net) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace DevMtg. Agenda at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2015-07-22
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2015-07-22 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2015-07-22
[20:02] <tdonohue> First up for today, updates / final push for 5.3 release! We're down to just 2 PRs still open: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/milestones/5.3
[20:02] <kompewter> [ Issues · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/milestones/5.3
[20:03] <tdonohue> Both of these PRs (DSPR#973 and DSPR#943) just need more testing before we can merge them. Anyone willing to help in that area?
[20:03] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/973 ] - DS-2358: Preserves custom policy rules during versioning by pnbecker
[20:03] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/943 ] - DS-2571 Fix jumping to value in descending browse by aschweer
[20:04] * kshepherd will test 973 (didn't see the latter commit), already tested 943
[20:04] <mhwood> 943 indicates possibly more work to be done?
[20:04] <tdonohue> I'm personally pretty confident in 973. I tested it earlier on, and asked for a minor update (which has been made in the most recent commit). I can volunteer to give it another sanity test myself as well (thanks kshepherd)
[20:05] <tdonohue> I agree, I'm unclear on 943. Is it "better" (worth merging) or "needs more work"?
[20:05] <peterdietz> The browse jump one. This is something that used to work fine before? And 5.x created an issue. Did we isolate what caused it?
[20:05] <peterdietz> "However, it appears that the fix broke the behaviour when jumping to a partial value."
[20:05] <tdonohue> peterdietz: we fixed the *major* issues with browse jump. But, this is an additional one that seems to have popped in
[20:05] <kshepherd> it was to do with unescaped colons in solr queries, i believe
[20:06] <kshepherd> or, that was one of the issues anyway
[20:06] <kshepherd> in this case, i think the SolrBrowseDAO just forgot to include/persist filters
[20:06] <tdonohue> The unescaped colons issue was a different PR (DSPR#981), which was already approved and merged
[20:06] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/981 ] - DS-2602 : Fix Title/Date browsing, also properly escape special characters in Solr by tdonohue
[20:07] <kshepherd> no, more tricky
[20:07] <kshepherd> eh... i can explain the symptom, anyway ;)
[20:08] <tdonohue> So, I guess the question on #943 is whether it's "ready" or needs more work/analysis? And if the latter, is it something that we can do quickly or do we need to reschedule
[20:08] <kshepherd> more testing would be cool
[20:08] <hpottinger> blame on SolrBrowseDAO.java says DS-2193 had a similar change right about where DSPR#943 is working
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/943 ] - DS-2571 Fix jumping to value in descending browse by aschweer
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2193 ] - [DS-2193] Correct browsing for exact metadata - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:09] <kshepherd> i think it's better than nothing, if the choice is just "merge" or "wait for someone to do something after 5.3"
[20:10] <tdonohue> Ok. good to know it's at least "better", kshepherd
[20:10] <kshepherd> it fixes the issue for item browse but not author browse basically
[20:10] <tdonohue> anyone else here have some time to give PR#943 a test?
[20:11] <hpottinger> Oh, OK, I'll test 943
[20:11] <tdonohue> thanks, hpottinger
[20:12] <tdonohue> So, we now have testers for our final two PRs!
[20:12] <tdonohue> Now, release date for 5.3. Initially we had set a goal of tomorrow. But, that seems highly unlikely to me now. Next week sometime, perhaps? Anyone want to volunteer to do the honors?
[20:14] <kshepherd> more tumbleweeds
[20:14] <kshepherd> i could try, but i'd probably do something wrong and delete the whole github repository or something
[20:14] <tdonohue> yea, don't everyone volunteer at once. We just need one of you all :)
[20:14] * hpottinger claps kshepherd on the back, Good Show!
[20:15] <tdonohue> kshepherd: you could try. But, I've heard it's hard to delete all of GitHub when running Maven commands
[20:15] <hpottinger> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure#ReleaseProcedure-AdviceforfutureReleaseCoordinators
[20:15] <kompewter> [ Release Procedure - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure#ReleaseProcedure-AdviceforfutureReleaseCoordinators
[20:15] <kshepherd> hah, this is true. so it's the sonatype stuff you want volunteers for?
[20:15] <kshepherd> so i'll delete maven central
[20:16] <hpottinger> meh, it's backed up
[20:16] <kshepherd> yeah ok i can do it
[20:16] <tdonohue> kshepherd: yes, it's really cutting the release (via Maven + Sonatype). I'll gladly help with the announcement parts, if you want, etc
[20:16] <hpottinger> only tricky bit is GPG keys
[20:17] <tdonohue> kshepherd: thanks! If you manage to delete all of Maven Central, you'll be famous (or infamous).
[20:17] <hpottinger> well, that and remembering to turn on mirage2 and dspace-lni
[20:17] <tdonohue> kshepherd: so the followup question...is there a day that works well for you? If you want support via IRC from others, I'd suggest a morning for you / afternoon for (most of) us
[20:19] <kshepherd> next wednesday 28th, morning (that's tuesday 27th, afternoon or evening for you folk) would suit me
[20:19] <kshepherd> if it has to be earlier i can probably do it on sunday my time
[20:19] <mhwood> My calendar says Tuesday the 28th, Monday the 27th.
[20:19] <hpottinger> I can be backup for Tuesday, will be in IRC
[20:20] <tdonohue> Tues/Weds sounds fine to me honestly. We don't need to rush it in earlier
[20:20] <kshepherd> yes sorry mhwood is right
[20:20] <kshepherd> i did some metal overadjusting for timezones :P
[20:20] <kshepherd> wednesday 29th my time, tuesday 28th your time
[20:20] <hpottinger> very metal
[20:21] <mhwood> OK, that's clear, thanks.
[20:21] <kshepherd> and that's mental overadjusting, but maybe it's metal too. *moshes at hpottinger while playing air guitar*
[20:21] <tdonohue> Sounds good. So we'll aim for Tues 28th (afternoon, USA) / Weds 29th (morning, NZ)
[20:22] <tdonohue> That being decided... we just need to get these last PRs ready to go this week.
[20:22] <mhwood> Noted on my calendar for 28-Jul-2015 16:00 EDT.
[20:23] <tdonohue> Anything else regarding 5.3? Sounds like we have a plan & we have testers to do the final PR testing this week
[20:24] <tdonohue> OK, hearing nothing...next up
[20:24] * hpottinger is building 943 right now in vagrant-dspace
[20:24] <tdonohue> Migrating OFF of SourceForge! Yay! (not really)
[20:25] <hpottinger> Yay, really, and migrating, really. :-)
[20:25] <kshepherd> yeah sourceforge is a pain even when it's online ;)
[20:25] <tdonohue> In all seriousness, I don't have a ton of confidence with regards to SourceForge anymore. This last massive failure only compounded my frustrations from Feb (when we lost our mailing lists for 3-4 days then as well)
[20:26] <hpottinger> Oh, yea, so, skip this part next week, kshepherd: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure#ReleaseProcedure-CreatetheDistributionZipsforSourceForge
[20:26] <kompewter> [ Release Procedure - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure#ReleaseProcedure-CreatetheDistributionZipsforSourceForge
[20:26] <kshepherd> plus their strange behaviour of late, like taking over "abandoned" projects (read: projects now on github that push occasional releases to sourceforge) and wrapping them in adware-installers and stuff
[20:27] <tdonohue> So, I've already migrated all our Release Packages / Downloadables (back to 1.5.0) from SF to GitHub (under https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/releases)
[20:27] <tdonohue> kshepherd: yea, that adware-installer stuff about SF is also disturbing, agreed
[20:28] <mhwood> How does the release procedure need to change?
[20:28] <tdonohue> Next up, I plan to migrate *all* our DSpace mailing lists from SF to Google Groups (hopefully in the next few weeks). Much more info will be coming though, as that will take more planning, etc
[20:28] <kshepherd> mhwood: probably just skip the "upload zips to SF" part i guess?
[20:28] <tdonohue> mhwood: good point. Release Procedure can still be "similar", but we'll post releases to GitHub. For 5.3 though, I suggest we *still* post to SF though (as 5.x versions are all there)
[20:28] <kshepherd> i like the idea of distribution zips generally though... dunno how others feel about that
[20:29] <mhwood> We do actually have to do something to indicate a release, yes?
[20:29] <tdonohue> 5.3 distribution zips should be posted to *both* SF & GitHub, in my opinion. Starting with 6.0, we'll go GitHub only
[20:29] <mhwood> Zip works and is natural for a Java-based product.
[20:30] <tdonohue> (It just feels a little rushed to not upload 5.3 to SourceForge, as we haven't even full informed the community that we'll be moving off SF altogether)
[20:30] <kshepherd> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/releases looks good to me :)
[20:30] <kompewter> [ Releases · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/releases
[20:30] <kshepherd> tdonohue: yep fair enough
[20:31] <hpottinger> as long as SF is up, might as well upload the binaries, we can change course for 6
[20:32] <tdonohue> In any case, this is mostly all just an FYI for now. The last step to remove us from SourceForge is really to hardest...the Mailing Lists. But, the Fedora team did the same mailing list move (SF -> Google Groups) a year or two back, so I'm working from their notes.
[20:33] <tdonohue> Once I get further along with the migration, I'll come up with a timeline/plan, and let *everyone* know (by posting to all mailing lists)
[20:33] <tdonohue> Any questions/comments on all this?
[20:33] <kshepherd> sounds good to me
[20:34] <tdonohue> OK. moving along then
[20:34] <tdonohue> Next up, 6.0 topics
[20:35] <tdonohue> First up, just a reminder that we have a Special Topics Meeting *tomorrow* (July 23) at 15:00UTC / 11:00 EDT to learn about the @mire "Services API" work
[20:35] <mhwood> Actually I did have a comment: since there's no way to archive Google Groups traffic except to scrape it out as HTML, maybe there should be an account somewhere subscribed to each group, to capture new postings *as email*.
[20:35] <tdonohue> Video will be recorded
[20:37] <kshepherd> mhwood: good idea, i might do that just for my own archives
[20:38] <tdonohue> mhwood: Good question. To be honest, I was planning on keeping our SF account around (not close it entirely, but lock it down so nothing is public). So, one option is to continue to use the old SF lists as that sort of "archive" (which is actually what Fedora does)
[20:38] <tdonohue> Or we could use a different (similar) service, if you had something in mind
[20:38] <mhwood> Sounds good.
[20:38] <mhwood> What I had in mind was just a subscription that goes to a mailbox which never deletes anything.
[20:39] <tdonohue> understood. Just wasn't sure whether there was a particular tool you were aware of that did that :) Or if it was a conceptual idea.
[20:39] <mhwood> And which is recoverable as mail folders, of course, or we have the same problem.
[20:40] <mhwood> All it really needs is an account somewhere that can receive mail and has lots of storage.
[20:40] <kshepherd> a few years ago, i wrote some stuff to ingest the dspace-tech mbox to a dspace archive, extracting things like headers, subj, attachments, links, etc. and storing them as metadata as well as the original object ;)
[20:40] <kshepherd> just for fun of course
[20:41] <kshepherd> it worked ok
[20:41] <mhwood> Interesting.
[20:42] <tdonohue> Here's how Fedora did their mailing list migration: (1) Migrated SF list archives to GG, (2) Moved all subscribers to GG, (3) Locked down SF lists (no more postings), (4) Told everyone to now use GG, (5) Subscribed each old SF list to corresponding new GG list (as a "dark archive")
[20:42] <tdonohue> I was essentially planning the same idea. That does mean our "dark archive" would still sit in SF though. If we wanted to completely shut down our SF account, we'd need a different location to archive lists
[20:42] <hpottinger> There's a Perl thing that does this for mail lists (works from a mbox you feed it), I'm trying to recall the name of it, unfortunately, sourceforge is, um, down
[20:42] <mhwood> If you're planning to keep the SF archives, I guess that's the simplest place to keep it.
[20:45] <kshepherd> nothing stopping us subscribing additional archivey addresses to the lists in addition to the SF dark archives, anyway
[20:45] <tdonohue> For simplicity, that was my plan. To use SF as the "archives" still. But, +1 kshepherd, I agree.
[20:48] <tdonohue> But, yes, if anyone thinks of a better option, let me know. One of the only detriments to Google Groups is the inability to export an 'mbox'. So, it would be nice to ensure we still have a "complete" list archives somewhere that does allow for 'mbox' export (which SF does do)
[20:48] <kshepherd> maildir > mbox imo, but yep generally agreed :)
[20:48] <tdonohue> true. Either is good :)
[20:49] <tdonohue> Ok. So, back to the 6.0 topic. I mentioned the Special Topic Mtg tomorrow already. It'll be video recorded for those unable to attend
[20:49] <tdonohue> Any other updates from anyone regarding 6.0 stuff?
[20:50] <tdonohue> Oh, I have one actually. Late last week I did some more work on DSPR#991. In that work-in-progress, I now have refactored ConfigurationManager to fully "wrap" ConfigurationService. Still more work to come though
[20:51] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/991 ] - DS-2654 : Reloadable Configurations via Apache Commons Configuration by tdonohue
[20:51] <kshepherd> sweet
[20:51] <mhwood> Yay!
[20:52] <tdonohue> And, admittedly, I've put some of that work "on hold" until I see more about this "Services API" work. I don't want to generate too many conflicts. As one might imagine, refactoring Config stuff can require a lot of tiny changes all over the API
[20:52] <kshepherd> i have to get myself ready and go to the office now (i can't stay huddled in a blanket in my house all day :)) but just wanted to say you can all volunteer me for either (or both if that's what it comes to) of those refactor / deprecate lucene and db browse jobs
[20:52] <kshepherd> (unless someone else wants them)
[20:53] <tdonohue> Currently though, my conflicts should be minimal. I'm just "entering" an area where I might want to *rename* actual config settings, which is conflict-ful
[20:53] <kshepherd> and i would probably start on them on sunday if i did end up volunteered for one
[20:53] <tdonohue> kshepherd: if you want one, take the Lucene removal. The DB Browse stuff is supposedly included in the "Services API" work (if we accept it)
[20:53] <kshepherd> see y'all next time, look forward to watching the services API recording
[20:53] <kshepherd> tdonohue: ok sure
[20:54] <tdonohue> kshepherd: so rip away at Lucene to your heart's content. Bye!
[20:54] * kshepherd waves
[20:54] <tdonohue> Anyone else have updates to share for 6.0, or related comments?
[20:56] <tdonohue> Ok, we're running up against the end of the hour. I don't really have any other updates/topics that come to mind today. Any general thoughts/comments/questions/updates?
[20:57] <hpottinger> any updates on the new UI work?
[20:57] <tdonohue> Oh, and a quick update on the "UI Working Group". Still in the works..Sorry this thing has gotten delayed & delayed again. It is coming, and Jonathan should be sending out initial emails in the next week
[20:58] <tdonohue> The delays have been mostly internal (to DuraSpace). Too many staff vacations mid-summer, and we haven't been able to get this moving along as quickly as hoped
[20:59] <tdonohue> Any final thoughts/questions for today? If not, we'll close things up
[21:01] <mhwood> Very quiet now.
[21:01] <tdonohue> Ok, not hearing anything else. We'll consider the meeting closed! Again, one last reminder to join us Tomorrow (Thurs, July 23) @ 15:00UTC (11:00am EDT) for a Special Topics Meeting on "Services API"
[21:02] <mhwood> 'bye all.
[21:02] <tdonohue> Connection details for that Special Topics Meeting (held via Adobe Connect) are here: http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/Special-Topic-Meeting-DSpace-quot-Services-API-quot-project-July-23-15-00-UTC-td4678814.html
[21:02] <kompewter> [ DSpace - Devel - Special Topic Meeting: DSpace "Services API" project - July 23 @ 15:00 UTC ] - http://dspace.2283337.n4.nabble.com/Special-Topic-Meeting-DSpace-quot-Services-API-quot-project-July-23-15-00-UTC-td4678814.html
[21:02] <hpottinger> I'm trying to test DSPR#943... decending browse & jumping still is kinda "funky"
[21:02] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/943 ] - DS-2571 Fix jumping to value in descending browse by aschweer
[21:02] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:04] <hpottinger> actually, that's just the author browse... I think I'm seeing the same thing kshepherd saw, I'm going to +1 943 as "better, not perfect"
[21:05] * terry-b4 (~terry-b3@c-73-157-113-230.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[21:08] * terry-b (~terry-b@c-73-157-113-230.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[21:08] * terry-b (~terry-b@c-73-157-113-230.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:08] * terry-b4 (~terry-b3@c-73-157-113-230.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:09] * terry-b (~terry-b@c-73-157-113-230.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[21:10] * cknowles (~cknowles@cpc67742-sgyl32-2-0-cust219.18-2.cable.virginm.net) has left #duraspace
[21:40] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-73-45-154-218.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[21:53] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-160070.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[21:56] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[23:24] * terry-b (~terry-b@c-73-157-113-230.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[23:50] * kim__ (~kim@ has joined #duraspace
[23:54] * kshepherd (~kim@ Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.