#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-01-06

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:45] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:45] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:45] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:45] -leguin.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:45] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:45] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:45] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[13:34] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:06] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-226-113-104.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:34] * peterdietz (uid52203@gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-jmiludqtfvfrcyvw) has joined #duraspace
[19:29] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162038.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:49] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C5104D.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:59] * acollier (~acollier@99-3-108-111.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net) has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome back from the holiday break! The DSpace Developers Meeting starts now. Our agenda is here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-01-06
[20:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-01-06 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-01-06
[20:01] <tdonohue> So, as we left things a few weeks ago, our primary goal right now is to finish up our 6.0 release (in terms of features/major improvements), so that we can work towards an initial Release Candidate.
[20:02] <mhwood> We have 12 open feature PRs for 6.0.
[20:02] <tdonohue> Before the break, we had hoped for a Feature Freeze of Jan 8 (Friday), but that seems a bit unlikely at this point considering what is still left. But, we do have a lot of features which really just need a final push (test & verification) from Committers or Developers
[20:03] <tdonohue> Yep, here's those 12 feature PRs: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0
[20:03] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0
[20:03] <tdonohue> whoops wrong link
[20:03] <tdonohue> here's the 12 feature PRs: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3Afeature
[20:03] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3Afeature
[20:04] <mhwood> DS-2654 looks like it's one rebase away. It was +2 last I checked.
[20:04] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2654 ] - [DS-2654] Reloadable Configurations via Apache Commons Configuration - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:04] <tdonohue> So, since these are the PRs that are "holding things up", we probably need to concentrate on moving them forward today.
[20:04] <hpottinger> One rebase and a discussion of when to merge
[20:04] <tdonohue> mhwood: oh, I didn't notice that DSPR#970 had merge conflicts again (ugh)
[20:04] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/970 ] - DS-2625 Extendable control panel by kosarko
[20:05] <tdonohue> DSPR#1104
[20:05] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1104 ] - DS-2654: Enhanced Configurations via Apache Commons Configuration by tdonohue
[20:05] <tdonohue> (man, I'm bad at links/typing today)
[20:05] <hpottinger> it probably will conflict with every other merge
[20:05] <tdonohue> hpottinger: yes, it probably will
[20:06] <hpottinger> so... do we merge it first or wait and rebase it after?
[20:06] <tdonohue> So, in my mind, I think with DSPR#1104 the question is more... do we want to merge it now? Or later? If now, I'll rebase it and we can do it. If later, I'll likely wait to rebase, and it's going to need another rebase eventually
[20:06] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1104 ] - DS-2654: Enhanced Configurations via Apache Commons Configuration by tdonohue
[20:07] <hpottinger> tdonohue: if you're on board for two rebases, would it be too much to ask to put it off until the end?
[20:07] <mhwood> I tend to think sooner rather than later. It's gonna break things now or later. The sooner we break, the sooner we can fix.
[20:07] <KevinVdV> We don’t want to delay other PR’s more
[20:08] <tdonohue> If these other PRs can be tested & merged soon, we are better off *waiting* on 1104. That way I don't break all 11 of the other PRs.
[20:08] <hpottinger> sounds reasonable (and thanks, tdonohue)
[20:08] <tdonohue> I don't mind waiting on 1104. But, I really hate to rebase it every other day :)
[20:09] <mhwood> OK, big breakage in one PR vs. small breakage here and there.
[20:09] <tdonohue> So, it sounds like we'll set aside 1104 for now. I'll leave it "broken" for now, and rebase it once other major feature PRs are merged
[20:10] <tdonohue> (well, not "broken", I should say "unmergeable"...it works)
[20:10] <terry-b> When trying to test Shibb authentication, I have encountered some errors in which the AuthenticationService is not initialized when expected. I will add an explicit bug ticket for this. I am curious is 1104 will resolve that issue.
[20:11] <tdonohue> terry-b: not sure myself. I didn't explicitly change anything to that effect, but it might have been "fixed" by accident if the problem was caused in the configuration layer not loading up properly
[20:11] <mhwood> Not arguing with the decision, but I would point out that infrastructure merges which break other PRs have an educational function for the rest of us. :-)
[20:12] <tdonohue> mhwood: yes, it would...but unfortunately many of those remaining 12 feature PRs were not written by Committers...and I hate to lean too heavily on those other developers to rebase their PRs
[20:12] <mhwood> Good point.
[20:13] <tdonohue> So, if we can at least get in most of those non-Committer PRs, then I don't mind making Committers do more rebase work :) (kidding, mostly)
[20:14] <mhwood> OK, then, what next?
[20:15] <tdonohue> It's probably worth doing a status update on all these PRs. I'll admit, I haven't had much time to do PR work over the holidays, so even I have left some "sitting" on my plate. We need to get these all assigned & ready to get merged
[20:15] <tdonohue> So, here's our list again...we'll just start at the top: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3Afeature
[20:15] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3Afeature
[20:15] <tdonohue> DSPR#1222
[20:15] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1222 ] - DS-2583: Quality Control Reporting via REST API (v5) by terrywbrady
[20:16] <tdonohue> This is assigned to me. I still plan to get to it. I failed to do so over the holidays though. It's on my TODO for Friday or early next week though
[20:16] <tdonohue> IIRC, hpottinger was also interested in helping get this tested/reviewed?
[20:16] <terry-b> tdonohue, thank you. I am eager to see this integrated
[20:17] <hpottinger> yes, I would like to test 1222
[20:17] <tdonohue> Ok, so, I'll bring this forward...and hopefully hpottinger can give it a test too
[20:17] <tdonohue> next up, DSPR#1173
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1173 ] - DS-2894:REST Call to return Optimized Hierarchy by terrywbrady
[20:18] <mhwood> Looks like peterdietz was going to test it?
[20:18] <peterdietz> hi
[20:19] <tdonohue> peterdietz: are you able to give 1173 the final push it needs to get into 6.0?
[20:20] <hpottinger> sign me up for 1173, too
[20:20] <peterdietz> I've been OOO for the past 2 weeks. Haven't touched anything. I just finished up something today, so have some slack to test
[20:20] <tdonohue> can I *assign* this to someone to take the lead on ensuring it is tested?
[20:20] <tdonohue> (i.e. I'd really like to see all these 12 remaining PRs get assigned to someone who is willing to take the lead)
[20:20] <peterdietz> Assign all to Hardy, who will then chase people down?
[20:21] <hpottinger> that sounds like RT work
[20:21] <tdonohue> I'll chase people down :) I just want to ensure I know who to chase :) Plus, I just want to avoid us all saying "yea, I'll try to test it"...and then end up with no testers by next week
[20:21] <peterdietz> yeah, I'll try to test it
[20:22] <mhwood> Assigning is a good idea.
[20:22] <tdonohue> Ok, so I'll assign to peterdietz then :)
[20:22] <peterdietz> +1
[20:22] <hpottinger> how about Friday 1/8/16, we all agree to make "test some PRs for 6" day
[20:23] <tdonohue> hpottinger: not a bad idea. Like a mini-virtual-PR-testathon (in IRC). I'd take part!
[20:23] <mhwood> Count me in.
[20:23] <hpottinger> I'm in
[20:23] * acollier (~acollier@99-3-108-111.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[20:23] <KevinVdV> I’ll see what I can do
[20:23] <mhwood> It's on my calendar.
[20:24] <tdonohue> On my calendar as well.
[20:24] <hpottinger> good point, I'll block out the whole day so people can't schedule me for meetings
[20:24] <tdonohue> Ok, so, I assigned 1173 to peterdietz
[20:25] <tdonohue> moving along, DSPR#1166
[20:25] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1166 ] - DS-2888: JSPUI: Add language tags to submission edit metadata step by pnbecker
[20:26] <tdonohue> anyone willing to volunteer to claim this one. The code looked reasonable to me. It actually has +2 it looks like
[20:26] <hpottinger> 1166 is already at +2
[20:26] <tdonohue> helix84: are you around? Since you did initial testing here, I wonder if you want to do a final verification?
[20:27] <mhwood> Looks like it needs a final check of twobox cases.
[20:27] <tdonohue> I'll assign this to helix84 and ping him via the PR. I think it does need one final test (of the last commit) and then can be merged
[20:28] <hpottinger> at +2, it's ready to go as soon as someone decides to push the button
[20:29] * hpottinger likes buttons
[20:29] <tdonohue> I assigned to helix84 and asked him to test & then merge.
[20:29] <tdonohue> next up, DSPR#1163
[20:29] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1163 ] - DS-2880: Pubmed integration into XMLUI submission by rradillen
[20:29] <mhwood> Dependent on DSPR#1160, no?
[20:29] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1160 ] - DS-2876 Framework for importing external metadata by jonas-atmire
[20:30] <KevinVdV> Yeah these have dependencies
[20:30] <tdonohue> This is one of three that are tightly related. 1160 is the framework (which is hard to test standalone), and 1163 and DSPR#1162 are implementations (which are more easily testable)
[20:30] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1162 ] - DS-2877 Import of ScienceDirect metadata including embargo and linking to or embedding of the final version by LetitiaMukherjee
[20:31] <tdonohue> So, anyone willing to give 1163 or 1162 a run/test? Assuming they go well, that'd mean we merge 1160 first, then the others
[20:33] <hpottinger> I've added them to my list, but I'd have to enlist a librarian to track down some sample data
[20:33] <tdonohue> silence... well, I'll help test at least one of these..but it'd be nice to have someone(s) else to help out (perhaps it's one we could go through on Friday?)
[20:33] <mhwood> I feel unsure that I understand e.g. PubMed well enough to test these.
[20:34] <tdonohue> PubMed testing just would require you looking up a paper in PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) and then seeing if this works to import it's metadata into your DSpace submission.
[20:35] <tdonohue> similar for ScienceDirect: http://www.sciencedirect.com/
[20:35] <kompewter> [ ScienceDirect.com | Science, health and medical journals, full text articles and books. ] - http://www.sciencedirect.com/
[20:35] <mhwood> OK, I guess I can do that.
[20:35] <mhwood> I just assigned myself to 1163.
[20:35] <tdonohue> Ok, I'll assign mhwood to the PubMed one.. I'll take the ScienceDirect one, but I'd also appreciate others helping to test
[20:35] <hpottinger> OK... heh, I was thinking these were batch ingest things... if they are just "look up" things, *I* can search
[20:35] <tdonohue> oh, you beat me too it :)
[20:36] <hpottinger> those all ought to be pretty easy to test, I say we start with those on Friday
[20:36] <tdonohue> hpottinger: yep, you can do the testing easily :)
[20:36] <tdonohue> Sounds good to start with those on Friday
[20:37] <tdonohue> ok...next up, DSPR#1159
[20:37] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1159 ] - DS-79 Assetstore to support different implementations, including S3 by peterdietz
[20:37] <tdonohue> peterdietz: looks like this one needs rebasing :( Also, where does it stand with regards to all that Checksum Checker stuff you talked about splitting out?
[20:38] <mhwood> I tested it before the checksum work. It was looking well then.
[20:38] <tdonohue> peterdietz: nevermind, I see you fixed checksum checking (mentioned in your latest comments)
[20:39] <tdonohue> peterdietz: but it does still have a merge conflict.
[20:40] <hpottinger> there's a comment re the 5GB limit?
[20:40] <tdonohue> yes, it seems there's several things still to be resolved here
[20:42] <tdonohue> I'd be glad to try to help test this a bit once it's been rebased, peterdietz
[20:42] <tdonohue> It sounds like Roeland has also been helping. I'd encourage others to chip in too
[20:42] <peterdietz> Yeah. Roeland mentioned AWS has another way of pushing really large files.
[20:42] <mhwood> I have no S3 access, but local disk I got. :-)
[20:43] <peterdietz> It didn't have merge conflict last i looked at it.. Have I missed a major refactoring/merge to the code?
[20:43] <hpottinger> yeah, this looks like a nice "shiny gold sticker on the box" kind of feature, we should try to get it in for 6
[20:43] <tdonohue> peterdietz: any timeframe on when you could get this rebased quickly? I have S3 I could test against.
[20:43] <peterdietz> aws is SOOO cheap. transferring 10GB of data in, sitting for a month, reading it several times, is likely about 60cents a month
[20:44] <tdonohue> peterdietz: not sure what the conflict is...I'm assuming it's something small that went in that conflicted with your stuff (I think there were minor dspace.cfg changes that went in recently)
[20:44] <tdonohue> In any case, I'm going to move along for now. I can help test 1159 on Friday, if it gets rebased
[20:44] <peterdietz> I don't think I'll add 5GB+ support to this PR
[20:44] <tdonohue> next is 1104...skipping, we already talked about it
[20:45] <tdonohue> DSPR#994
[20:45] <hpottinger> I've added 1159 to my list, I'll rebase it on my own if I have to
[20:45] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/994 ] - DS-2659 new extensible platform health check reports with emailing by vidiecan
[20:45] <mhwood> peterdietz: good plan.
[20:46] <tdonohue> 994 is a mess of a PR. This needs major work still, and helix84 is assigned already
[20:46] <tdonohue> I'll ping him via a comment
[20:47] <tdonohue> ok, next one, DSPR#989
[20:47] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/989 ] - DS-2629 mediafilter addition: ExcelFilter.java by edgo914
[20:47] <tdonohue> assigned to KevinVdV. Any updates? Or do you need help/support on this?
[20:48] <KevinVdV> Well there is currently a merge conflict, but it should be one or two lines to fix it. I think I’ll create a PR against this one & fire a pull request to fix it.
[20:48] <tdonohue> Looks like from latest comments it might need rebasing for Service API
[20:48] <KevinVdV> Hopefully it can be accepted & then I we can test/merge
[20:49] <tdonohue> KevinVdV: since this is a non-Committer, it might be better to just generate a new PR based on this one? Otherwise, I worry we could be slowed if he doesn't immediately accept your PR against his branch?
[20:50] <KevinVdV> Agreed, I’ll create a new PR based on his code & give him the credit.
[20:50] <KevinVdV> Then I can test & +1 if it works
[20:50] <tdonohue> i.e. seems like you could pull his commits into a new branch, add the fixes & then generate a new PR. That way his commits still are in there + the credit :)
[20:50] <tdonohue> KevinVdV sounds good, thanks
[20:51] <tdonohue> next up, DSPR#90
[20:51] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/90 ] - [DS-1144] Maven Project Consolidation by mdiggory
[20:51] <tdonohue> DSPR#970
[20:51] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/970 ] - DS-2625 Extendable control panel by kosarko
[20:51] <tdonohue> (wow 90 is a blast from the past..thanks typo)
[20:51] <tdonohue> 970 is also assigned to KevinVdV
[20:52] <KevinVdV> Added a few to fix notes
[20:53] <KevinVdV> Will need to look into the oai comment, but the other one needs to be fixed, after that it can be merged
[20:53] <tdonohue> yea, looks like we are waiting on at least one fix here
[20:54] <tdonohue> Ok, moving along then
[20:54] <tdonohue> DSPR#801
[20:54] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/801 ] - DS-1262 CSV export of search results in XMLUI by wwelling
[20:54] <tdonohue> also assigned KevinVdV (three in a row)
[20:55] <KevinVdV> Also added some comments on the code itself that need to be fixed. Some copy pasting & things that can be handled cleaner
[20:55] <tdonohue> It looks like code changes are still outstanding here too?
[20:55] <hpottinger> is this another "rebase and new PR"?
[20:56] <KevinVdV> No more general code cleanup
[20:56] <KevinVdV> Requires some work
[20:56] <terry-b> I have to sign off and run to another meeting. tdonohue, peterdietz, hpottinger, I will be back in the office on Friday if you encounter any issues testing my PR's. Thanks for doing that.
[20:57] <tdonohue> It seems like both 801 and 970 both need general code cleanup, or else they may miss the 6.0 release. If anyone is willing to do the code cleanup on behalf of the developer, then please do feel free to create a new PR & pull in their commits. Otherwise, we have to admit, these could be delayed to post-6.0
[20:58] <tdonohue> Hopefully though, the developers will be responsive. I'm just noting here that 801 and 970 may miss our release if they sit for too long
[20:59] <tdonohue> So, that's it for our "feature" PRs. It sounds like we have some sort of plan for most of them, and a mini-IRC-Testathon for this Friday!
[20:59] <mhwood> 1160, 1159, 1104 remain unassigned.
[21:00] <tdonohue> 1160 is "untestable" (its a framework) and relies on testing of 1162 and 1163 (at least in my mind that seems right)
[21:00] <tdonohue> 1159 is unassigned. I guess I can claim it (I meant to)
[21:01] <tdonohue> 1104 is already "approved" but is supposed to be merged near the end. I can rebase & merge it when we are ready for it
[21:01] <tdonohue> but, thanks for the verification, mhwood!
[21:02] <tdonohue> One last thing to mention before we go. I did manage to do this over the break: DSPR#1235
[21:02] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1235 ] - DS-2187 : Remove Lucene search support by tdonohue
[21:02] <mhwood> Thank you.
[21:02] <tdonohue> (I marked it as a code task though, but I think we should consider getting it in quickly)
[21:03] <mhwood> Another last thing: 27 "improvement" PRs open.
[21:03] <tdonohue> I'd appreciate anyone with extra time to give it a run through. I think I ripped out all the Lucene stuff (including all the search configs from dspace.cfg)
[21:04] <tdonohue> mhwood: yes, there are a ton of improvements still. We need to get through all of those as well. We have a lot on our plates still, and anyone with free time to test is *highly encouraged* to grab a PR of interest (large or small) and give it a run through.
[21:05] <tdonohue> I'll also warn that with the improvements, we already have several that have merge conflicts. More will be encountering merge conflicts (especially after 1104 goes in), so if there are of any of high importance, please ensure they are getting rebased/updated
[21:07] <tdonohue> OK, I think that's all the updates for today. Any last topics/notes from anyone?
[21:08] <KevinVdV> I could use some help testing: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1226
[21:08] <kompewter> [ [DS-2898] Add support for all authentication methods in the rest api by KevinVdV · Pull Request #1226 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1226
[21:08] <KevinVdV> In theory every authentication should now work with the rest with this PR (but shibboleth isn’t fully operational yet). But if anybody could aid me in testing LDAP it would be a great relief
[21:09] <tdonohue> I unfortunately don't have an LDAP handy...but I'm hoping someone else does
[21:10] <tdonohue> Since there's no other major topics, we'll close out the formal meeting. REMINDER: This Friday (Jan 8), in #dspace IRC, we'll be doing a mini-PR-testathon of outstanding 6.0 PRs (mostly features, but others welcome too). Join us!
[21:11] <tdonohue> KevinVdV: sounds like we need to find someone with an LDAP handy to try it out.
[21:11] <mhwood> IIRC helix84 has some contact with LDAP.
[21:12] <KevinVdV> Ok good to know, need to run now though, getting quite late here
[21:12] <KevinVdV> Until next week ! I’ll try to get some PR’s merged
[21:12] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C5104D.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[21:15] <hpottinger> http://www.philipp.haussleiter.de/2013/07/nice-vagrant-script-for-setting-up-a-ldap-vm-for-testing/
[21:15] <kompewter> [ Philipps Blog » Nice Vagrant Script for setting up a LDAP VM for Testing ] - http://www.philipp.haussleiter.de/2013/07/nice-vagrant-script-for-setting-up-a-ldap-vm-for-testing/
[22:04] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:47] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-226-113-104.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[23:24] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162038.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving, later taterz!)
[23:28] * terry-b (~chrome@71-35-109-90.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.