#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-07-27

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:00] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[0:36] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[0:37] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[0:41] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[2:38] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[2:42] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[4:39] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[4:44] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[6:39] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:39] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:39] -orwell.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:40] -orwell.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:40] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:40] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:40] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[6:40] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[6:44] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[7:31] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[7:32] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[7:35] * terry-b3 (~chrome@97-126-103-195.tukw.qwest.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[7:35] * terry-b3 (~chrome@97-126-103-195.tukw.qwest.net) has joined #duraspace
[7:55] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[7:58] * tmmguimaraes (~tmg@ has joined #duraspace
[12:15] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:06] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:20] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[15:01] <tdonohue> Morning (or afternoon) to all. It's time for the weekly DSpace Developers Meeting. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-07-27
[15:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-07-27 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-07-27
[15:01] <tdonohue> Quick role call of Committers... helix84, mhwood, terry-b3
[15:03] <tdonohue> hmm, anyone around, or am I talking to myself today? :)
[15:03] <terry-b3> Unavailable for the next hour. sorry
[15:03] <Dylan> Hey
[15:03] <tdonohue> Hi Dylan, welcome.
[15:03] <mhwood> Sorry, I was deep in a battle with VMware thin client. Here now.
[15:03] <Dylan> Thank you
[15:04] <tdonohue> Sorry to hear that terry-b3. Hopefully you can catch up later
[15:04] <tdonohue> Hi mhwood as well
[15:05] <tdonohue> Ok, so we have a (small) handful of folks here. Was hoping for more, but it seems July is full of vacations :) We've had very sparse meetings this month, but hey..everyone deserves time away
[15:06] <Dylan> Indeed
[15:06] <tdonohue> Obviously, the hot topic this week continues to be 6.0. Progress has slowed in recent weeks (cause of vacations it seems, or folks too busy to chip in)
[15:06] <tdonohue> We still sit at ~30 open tickets: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[15:06] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[15:07] <tdonohue> This list of 30 has fewer and fewer that need "volunteers" (there are some though). More and more are moving towards "Need Code Review" or "Need Documentation" status... so, we are getting closer, but we seem to need more testers / documenters
[15:08] <tdonohue> Sidenote... Dylan, since you are here, a friendly reminder that DS-3086 still needs docs from you or Tom Desair
[15:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3086 ] - [DS-3086] OAI Harvester is broken (NPEs around several classes) - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:09] <Dylan> I have pinged him a few times on this, but will do so again :-)
[15:09] <tdonohue> thanks ;)
[15:10] <mhwood> 2775 stands at +1. One more vote and we can close *two* tickets: 2775 and 2701.
[15:10] <tdonohue> in terms of raw numbers, roughly 1/2 of our tickets are in the "Needs Code Review" status. I've been working (little by little) to test many of those, but there's also about 5 of those that are *my PRs* that need others to help validate I didn't overlook anything
[15:11] <tdonohue> DS-2775 / #1472
[15:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2775 ] - [DS-2775] Correct &quot;update-sequences&quot; documentation / notes - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:11] <tdonohue> sorry, DSPR#1472
[15:11] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1472 ] - [DS-2775] Drop unused database SEQUENCEs and do not try to update them by mwoodiupui
[15:11] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[15:11] <pbecker> hi
[15:11] <tdonohue> mhwood: actually, looking again, 1472 *is* at +2 (myself and helix84)
[15:11] <mhwood> Oh, missed that.
[15:12] <tdonohue> Hi pbecker, welcome :)
[15:12] <tdonohue> so, mhwood, I think 1472 can be merged. The only concerns left there have been opened into a separate ticket (as they are only "loosely" related)
[15:13] <tdonohue> The separate ticket is DS-3277, which also might be worth touching on today (as it's a pretty significant issue, I believe)
[15:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3277 ] - [DS-3277] Change in behavior: Handles are now minted based on `handle_id` internal table ID - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:14] <mhwood> Aha, I tracked down the target of that broken link to the Oracle helper script. I'll fix that and then merge?
[15:14] <tdonohue> sounds good to me, mhwood. 1472 fixes what it set out to fix
[15:14] <mhwood> OK, it shall be done.
[15:15] <mhwood> Yes, 3277 is serious.
[15:15] <tdonohue> As for 3277. I'm pretty sure I have a possible fix to revert back to minting handles off of the "handle_seq" directly...and not based on "handle_id" (which really has no guarantee the next value is an available handle)
[15:16] <tdonohue> I don't have a PR (yet), but might have something later today. I'm basically using Hibernate to query "handle_seq" for the next value... and disconnecting the sequence from "handle_id". This seems to render "handle_id" useless, which may mean it could also be removed (but I haven't gotten that far yet)
[15:18] <mhwood> We have a few other "manual" uses of sequences in DSpace.
[15:18] <tdonohue> If "handle_id" is found to be useless, it likely could be dropped...and the Primary Key could be moved over to the "handle" column
[15:18] <mhwood> Which makes sense, since handle.handle must be *universally* unique anyway.
[15:19] <tdonohue> mhwood: do you recall where those other "manual" uses of sequences are? I admit, I looked for them, and couldn't find them (maybe I was searching for the wrong thing). I ended up writing my own method (untested as of yet though)
[15:19] <mhwood> No, I don't recall.
[15:19] <tdonohue> mhwood: ok, well if you stumble back on them, pass them my way. I'll try some more digging around post-mtg just in case
[15:19] <mhwood> Will do.
[15:19] <tdonohue> thanks
[15:21] <tdonohue> So, 3277 is in progress. I'll need feedback & testers (obviously) once I get a PR ready to go. I'm trying to avoid changing too much (this late in the game) in order to ensure I don't accidentally break something else.
[15:22] <tdonohue> I will note though that, for anyone who can help chip in on testing, there are several other *significant* fixes that are just waiting around for a test (and have been waiting now for several weeks)
[15:23] * luizsan (~luizsan@ has joined #duraspace
[15:23] <tdonohue> Two that I'd like to highlight are DSPR#1468 and DSPR#1471 (Fixes to Flyway setup, Ant Migrations, and how XML Workflow is enabled)
[15:23] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1468 ] - DS-3234 and DS-3268 : Upgrade to Flyway 4 and fix Ant migration issues by tdonohue
[15:23] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1471 ] - DS-3269: Disable Flyway out of order migrations. Also cleanup of XML Workflow enabling. by tdonohue
[15:24] <tdonohue> I've done a large amount of testing (locally) of these two related PRs. the second PR (1471) is actually built from the first PR's branch (1468), so you can test them both by simply testing off of 1471. But, these need more eyes/testers (Committers or non-Committers)
[15:26] <tdonohue> Dylan...not sure if you'd know of anyone from Atmire would be willing/able to help test one (or both of these), since I'm changing the XML / Configurable Workflow setup slightly (in 1471)? (Normally, I'd ask this question of Kevin, but he's on vacation)
[15:27] <Dylan> Unfortunately, this is best suited for Kevin, but I will post it to some devs here
[15:27] <mhwood> I've put those on my to-test list.
[15:27] <tdonohue> Thanks Dylan. Yes, I figured this is best for Kevin as well. I'll also try and give him a friendly reminder once he gets back (though I know he'll have plenty to catch up on!) :)
[15:27] <tdonohue> thanks mhwood
[15:27] <Dylan> Yeah he probably will, and no problem :)
[15:30] <tdonohue> So, are there other 6.0 tickets / PRs that others would specifically like to highlight for review/testing/feedback?
[15:30] * tmmguimaraes (~tmg@ Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[15:32] <tdonohue> So, I will also highlight (for any willing testers, and we need more testers)... we are diligently tagging PRs in GitHub
[15:32] <tdonohue> Here's our "high priority" 6.0 PRs (ones we'd really like to merge soon, as they are more significant): https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3A%22high+priority%22
[15:32] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3A%22high+priority%22
[15:32] <mhwood> DS-3270 is a bit of a mystery at the moment.
[15:32] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3270 ] - [DS-3270] NoClassDefFoundError error when launching the instance OAI - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:33] <tdonohue> We also have a list of "quick wins" for 6.0 (ones which may be much easier to test out if you just have an hour or so): https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[15:33] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[15:34] <tdonohue> mhwood: thanks for the reminder...yes, let's look at DS-3270. Any specific updates (beyond your work in progress, DSPR#1473)?
[15:34] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3270 ] - [DS-3270] NoClassDefFoundError error when launching the instance OAI - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:34] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1473 ] - [DS-3270] NoClassDefFoundError error when launching the instance OAI by mwoodiupui
[15:35] <mhwood> The original problem was fixable, but fixing it uncovers another missing method. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with that one. If anyone recognizes this situation, hints would be welcome.
[15:37] <tdonohue> huh, offhand, I do not. Searching around a bit, doesn't give any great clues either (yet)
[15:38] <tdonohue> Wondering outloud if we should look at the dependencies that require that, and see if any were recently "upgraded"...maybe there's a way to track down "what changed"
[15:39] <mhwood> Sometime after we get 6.0 out the door, we need to spend some time on XOAI, processing tickets/PRs and especially cleaning up its nest of backlevel dependencies, which DSpace is currently addressing with an ever-growing list of exclusions.
[15:39] <tdonohue> I agree.
[15:39] <mhwood> Yeah, I was wondering if backing out a dependency upgrade would be the smoothest path (for now).
[15:41] <tdonohue> mhwood: yes, that's my thought now. Trying to figure out what dependency upgrade is problematic to XOAI/OAI. It might all be related to DS-3016 (or a subticket of that) where a bunch of dependencies were upgraded
[15:41] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3016 ] - [DS-3016] upgrade dependencies before 6.0 release - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:41] <mhwood> Thanks, I'll look into that.
[15:42] <tdonohue> (note: The subtickets of 3016 actually show which upgrades were implemented)
[15:43] <tdonohue> If you make any further headway or want to bounce ideas around, let me know. Glad to do so on 3270. I'll probably be concentrating most immediately though on fixing the Handle issues myself
[15:43] <mhwood> OK, thanks.
[15:44] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[15:44] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[15:44] <tdonohue> pbecker, I'm curious if you are able to chip in on testing some of these PRs? (no pressure though..I know you are just getting back recently) I'm just wondering what your schedule is looking like in coming weeks
[15:45] <pbecker> sorry, I cannot promise anything currently.
[15:46] <tdonohue> (Oh, and as a friendly reminder, pbecker, we could especially use your feedback on DSPR#1399 whenever you get the chance...it's nearly ready to go)
[15:46] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1399 ] - DS-3209 AIP Import: Extend accepted handles for supports() by mjmarttila
[15:46] <pbecker> I still have some PRs to test and to write documentation.
[15:46] <pbecker> I know, sorry.
[15:46] <tdonohue> pbecker: ok, makes sense. Yes, definitely feel free to concentrate first on the things you volunteered for, etc ;)
[15:47] <tdonohue> and I completely understand if your schedule is crazy over the summer. Just wanted to touch base
[15:47] <pbecker> I know. :-) I would love to do more, but there are to many local projects starting right now.
[15:47] <pbecker> (local = TU Berlin)
[15:48] <tdonohue> pbecker: understood :)
[15:49] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[15:49] <tdonohue> If there are others here willing to help us test/validate PRs, we really could use more help (as you can tell, Committers are a bit busy with other things or on vacation). It's a good way to start to get more involved in the overall approval process
[15:50] <tdonohue> I also did recent add hints/tips on testing individual PRs to our Git notes: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Development+with+Git#DevelopmentwithGit-TestingPullRequests
[15:50] <kompewter> [ Development with Git - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Development+with+Git#DevelopmentwithGit-TestingPullRequests
[15:50] <mhwood> Looks like DSPR#1399 is +1 (1 inspection, 1 tester).
[15:50] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1399 ] - DS-3209 AIP Import: Extend accepted handles for supports() by mjmarttila
[15:51] <tdonohue> mhwood: yes 1399 is also waiting for pbecker a bit. He had good feedback on that early on.. I'm *pretty sure* all his concerns have been met, but I'd like to have him give it a quick review (if possible)
[15:51] <mhwood> OK.
[15:52] <pbecker> If a review is sufficient I'll do that tomorrow early in the morning. But others would have to chip in for tests.
[15:53] <tdonohue> pbecker: I think it could be sufficient to do a code review & perhaps list out things you feel *need re-testing*. It might help others to chip in on the tests themselves (and get this off your plate)
[15:53] <pbecker> will do, thanks.
[15:53] <tdonohue> thanks pbecker
[15:53] <pbecker> have to run.
[15:53] <tdonohue> bye
[15:53] <kompewter> see ya!
[15:53] <pbecker> bye!
[15:53] <kompewter> bye
[15:53] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[15:54] <tdonohue> Ok, so as we are nearing the end of the meeting, and I'm pretty sure it's just mhwood and I left (Dylan and pbecker have departed), anything else to discuss mhwood?
[15:54] <tdonohue> Or is there anyone else "listening in" who wants to bring up at topic (preferrably 6.0 related)?
[15:55] <mhwood> Nothing comes to mind. I have found the comment that needs fixing in 2775 and will have it patched shortly.
[15:56] <tdonohue> sounds good, mhwood. thanks again
[15:58] <tdonohue> Ok, well, with that, we'll close up today's meeting. As we seem to have few folks around, we'll also cancel the usual "JIRA/PR Review Hour" (usually starting post meeting). Instead, I'll be lurking in #dspace and working on DS-3277
[15:58] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3277 ] - [DS-3277] Change in behavior: Handles are now minted based on `handle_id` internal table ID - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:58] <tdonohue> If anything comes up, please feel free to ping me though!
[15:58] <mhwood> OK, I'll be around too, working on my list.
[17:45] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[17:49] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[21:12] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:46] * Dylan_ (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[21:51] * Dylan_ (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[21:53] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-220-55-31.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:16] * luizsan (~luizsan@ Quit (Quit: Leaving...)
[23:48] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace
[23:52] * Dylan (~Dylan@ Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[23:59] * Dylan (~Dylan@ has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.