#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-10-05

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:32] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:32] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:32] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:32] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:32] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:32] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:32] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[10:05] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[12:17] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:56] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:05] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[14:12] * PhilipV (~philip@ has joined #duraspace
[14:38] * PhilipV (~philip@ Quit (*.net *.split)
[14:38] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (*.net *.split)
[14:38] * kompewter (~kompewter@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[14:39] * PhilipV (~philip@ has joined #duraspace
[14:39] * kompewter (~kompewter@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[14:39] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:55] * terry-b (~chrome@covis2.georgetown.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:05] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[15:52] * PhilipV (~philip@ Quit (Quit: PhilipV)
[16:02] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[16:17] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[16:18] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[17:07] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[17:20] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[18:56] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[18:57] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[18:58] * pbecker (~anonymous@55d4393c.access.ecotel.net) has joined #duraspace
[19:06] * lap82 (570ad2f6@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:11] * rfazio (972f7976@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:59] * tdonohue reminds everyone we have a DSpace DevMtg starting shortly here. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-10-05
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome to our weekly DSpace DevMtg. Already linked the agenda above
[20:02] <tdonohue> One other item to note (not explicitly on the agenda). Committers should check your email (if you haven't already). As noted there, cause of limited funding for the rest of 2016, my upcoming time to devote to DSpace will be limited. But, that budget will 'restart' in 2017
[20:02] <tdonohue> In the meantime, I will be in these meetings (and other important DSpace meeting) to help with facilitation. I just won't be able to take on much work myself.
[20:03] <tdonohue> And, as I note, DSpace Steering is aware and, in the coming months, will be looking at ways to help DSpace find more funding for 2017 (to avoid this in the future)
[20:04] <hpottinger> sounds like we need an RC?
[20:04] <hpottinger> or, wait, 6 has an RC, doesn't it?
[20:04] <tdonohue> If there are any major concerns/questions, I'm glad to take a few here (or via email / elsewhere). I'm still around obviously and willing to consult on things. But, I won't be able to have time to code or anything (unless I work in off hours from home, which is unlikely with two young ones)
[20:05] <tdonohue> pbecker already has volunteered to "cut" the 6.0 release. We have release notes already drafted.
[20:05] <tdonohue> I'm glad to be the "friendly reminder" in these meetings... but outside of these meetings, I won't have time to actually drive specific issues forward (like an RC would do).
[20:06] <hpottinger> pbecker: besides cutting the release, would you have time to coordinate it?
[20:06] <pbecker> hpottinger: what coordination do you expect?
[20:07] <hpottinger> sounds like yes to me :-)
[20:07] <pbecker> looking out for new blockers after rc4 is out? yes, I can do that.
[20:07] <pbecker> honestly I don’t see much coming and I hope that all committers will be helping.
[20:07] <pbecker> What makes me more worries is security support for DSpace 4.
[20:08] <tdonohue> I do suspect the coordination at this point should be minimal (assuming no major blockers pop up). Yes, I agree that everyone should be helping
[20:08] <hpottinger> the "coordinator" job is mostly "nag in chief"
[20:08] <pbecker> I can do that.
[20:08] <tdonohue> thanks pbecker!
[20:09] <pbecker> no problem.
[20:09] * hpottinger bows to pbecker, thanks!
[20:09] <pbecker> starting nagging: can we talk about DSpace 4.7 before we go to the 6.0 release?
[20:09] <hpottinger> I can help
[20:09] <pbecker> I feel some urge there.
[20:09] <tdonohue> pbecker: sure, if you'd like to talk 4.7 first, that sounds fine to me
[20:10] <pbecker> When I helped preparing release notes, I noticed 5.6 closes 4 security related issues, while 4.6 closes one. From the other three one does not concerne DSpace 4.
[20:11] <pbecker> so two left: I backported one which needs testing (https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1549)
[20:11] <pbecker> It is just a backport of DSpace 5, most of the time I needed was spended in a damn unit test.
[20:12] <pbecker> So I don’t expect any problems.
[20:12] <pbecker> The other issue still looks for a volunteer.
[20:12] <pbecker> DS-3097 to name it.
[20:12] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3097 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[20:13] <tdonohue> Anyone have a 4.x instance around they could test PR 1549 on? Or someone willing to spin up a new test one off the dspace-4x branch?
[20:14] <mhwood> I can do that, if I can figure out how to test for the problem.
[20:14] <pbecker> great, thanks!
[20:15] <pbecker> I hope that there is some description within the ticket or the DSpace 5 PR
[20:15] <tdonohue> mhwood: The test itself should be pretty self explanatory based on the description in DS-2895 (the ticket associated with this issue)
[20:15] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2895 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[20:16] <mhwood> I assigned the PR to myself.
[20:16] <tdonohue> And, as pbecker notes...that just leaves needing to find someone to help backport ticket 3097 to 4.x alongside this. Anyone interested?
[20:17] <tdonohue> with 3097, the original versions of the patches were built by bollini...who isn't here today
[20:18] <mhwood> This one *again*? The bug that wouldn't die! 4_x does not have Flyway, right?
[20:18] <pbecker> right
[20:19] <tdonohue> correct, the 4.x backport would involve just pulling out a SQL script that we'd document folks to run manually when upgrading to 4.7
[20:20] <mhwood> That should not be too difficult. Does anybody want it?
[20:20] <tdonohue> The SQL itself should be likely mostly the same (as the 5.x one). You'd just put it over in /etc/postgres (where these SQL scripts used to live in 4.x days)
[20:20] <hpottinger> wait... do we need to cut a release for an SQL-only fix?
[20:20] <tdonohue> [src]/dspace/etc/postgres/ that is
[20:20] <tdonohue> it's not SQL only. but SQL is *part* of the fix
[20:21] <hpottinger> ok
[20:22] <lap82> I try to do that
[20:22] <pbecker> great, thanks!
[20:22] <tdonohue> thanks lap82!
[20:22] <mhwood> Thank you!
[20:23] <pbecker> then we’ll need someone to cut 4.7, but I would discuss this when both issues are closed.
[20:23] <pbecker> Do we wait to further communicate 5.6 or to we send out notices now?
[20:23] <tdonohue> I will jump in and mention here, I drafted release announcements (emails) for 4.7 / 5.6 last week... I can send those out once both are ready.
[20:24] <tdonohue> pbecker: I'd wait till *both* are ready...as it's the same issues in both 4.x and 5.x. It'd be odd to publicly announce the issues in 5.x first...then wait a while to release them for 4.7
[20:24] <pbecker> sounds like a plan.
[20:25] <tdonohue> So, once these two issues are fix..someone can cut 4.7, and I can send out the (previously drafted) announcements
[20:25] <tdonohue> *fixed
[20:25] <pbecker> I think we have a good chance to get this of our plates till next week.
[20:25] <pbecker> That was all I head regarding DSpace 4.
[20:25] <pbecker> s/head/had
[20:25] <kompewter> pbecker meant to say: That was all I had regarding DSpace 4.
[20:26] <tdonohue> Sounds good then...so, we'll move along to DSpace 6
[20:26] <pbecker> tdonohue: if it’s fine for you I go right on with that.
[20:26] <pbecker> We have two issues left. One is awaiting documentation and one is DS-3345.
[20:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3345 ] - [DS-3345] &quot;Missing&quot; migration when upgrading 5.6 -&gt; 6.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:27] <tdonohue> (thanks pbecker...go ahead, you are welcome to take the lead here)
[20:27] <pbecker> We wanted to cut RC4 and then 6.0 final.
[20:27] <pbecker> does anyone heared anything from abolini who volunteered for DS-3345?
[20:27] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3345 ] - [DS-3345] &quot;Missing&quot; migration when upgrading 5.6 -&gt; 6.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:28] <tdonohue> lap82 and rfazio both work with Andrea Bollini...I imagine they could give him a friendly reminder for us :)
[20:28] <lap82> No, I try to ping it
[20:28] <lap82> tdonohue: yes of course :-)
[20:28] <pbecker> thank you. It is the last ticket that is hindering us from pushing out RC4.
[20:28] <tdonohue> 3345 shouldn't be *hard* to fix. As mhwood notes (and I agree) in the ticket, it may just be a matter of removing the (duplicative) 6.x migration...and retesting that everything works
[20:29] <tdonohue> thanks lap82
[20:29] <mhwood> Well...we picked up a new ticket today that seems rather significant, since the problem breaks searching in DE locales. DS-3354
[20:29] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3354 ] - [DS-3354] http://demo.dspace.org/jspui/simple-search?locale=de has Sytem error - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:30] <tdonohue> yes, I see that 3354 is now appearing in our automated search in the agenda
[20:30] <mhwood> It's a one-character fix. I can do that.
[20:30] <pbecker> great, thanks!
[20:31] <tdonohue> 3354 seems like a tiny, easy, important fix. Thanks mhwood
[20:31] <pbecker> I can test it (my browsers prefer German by default ;-))
[20:31] <mhwood> Very good.
[20:31] <pbecker> I just encountered another problem, but I don’t think that is a blocker. Batch import didn’t worked in JSPUI. I fixed the jsps in the last hours. Now all works fine, but the new items never gets indexed into SOLR.
[20:31] <pbecker> In the logs some LazyInitializationExceptions appear.
[20:32] <pbecker> I will try to reproduce it tomorrow and create a proper issue.
[20:32] <tdonohue> The other ticket that still appears in our agenda under 6.0 is DS-2604. If I recall correctly, this was merged for 5.x but still open for 6.x
[20:32] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2604 ] - [DS-2604] Creative Commons license assignment silently fails in JSPUI - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:32] <tdonohue> the PR is DSPR#1526
[20:32] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1526 ] - DS-2604 port - DSpace 6.x - from XMLUI to JSPUI the approach to queries Creative Commons service (via REST API) by lap82
[20:33] <tdonohue> pbecker: sounds good on creating a proper issue for what you are seeing
[20:33] <pbecker> would you agree that this doesn’t sound like a blocker to you too?
[20:34] <pbecker> I can test DS-2604 for DSpace 6.
[20:34] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2604 ] - [DS-2604] Creative Commons license assignment silently fails in JSPUI - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:34] <pbecker> I already tested it for DSpace 5.
[20:35] <pbecker> If all is fine, I’ll merge it without waiting another +1 as we already have more or less the same patch in DSpace 5.
[20:35] <tdonohue> pbecker: maybe not a blocker...but if the batch import issue you see is something that turns into a very quick fix, still may be good to take care of. The fact things are indexed into Solr doesn't sound ideal
[20:35] <pbecker> tdonohue: to be more precise it just appears over JSPUI. command line doesn’t seem to be affected.
[20:36] <pbecker> I’m not very confident to find a quick fix for that.
[20:36] <pbecker> I don’t know that part of the code very good.
[20:36] <tdonohue> Ok, well, get it logged. It doesn't sound like a blocker still, but once logged, maybe there is someone who can figure it out quickly
[20:36] <pbecker> and LazyInitaliziation is some kind of hiberante magic.
[20:36] <pbecker> great.
[20:37] <pbecker> So I think we have a plan for 6.0: 2604->pbecker, 3315->is awaiting documentation, I’ll ping art another time, 3345 -> lap kindly asks abollini, 3345->mhwood is looking to fix this, pbecker will test.
[20:38] * mhwood fears that we will be combing LazyInitializationException out of 6_x through several minor releases.
[20:38] <pbecker> mhwood: do you still volunteer to cut rc4?
[20:38] <mhwood> I do.
[20:38] <pbecker> great.
[20:38] <tdonohue> sounds like a plan. :)
[20:38] <pbecker> :-)
[20:39] <hpottinger> does this plan have dates? :-)
[20:39] <pbecker> hpottinger: we had dates and we missed them.
[20:39] <pbecker> I just assume everyone tries to get this done asap.
[20:39] <tdonohue> RC4 should get another public announcement. Likely could be similar to the RC3 one. This time though, perhaps we set an approximate date for 6.0 final (assuming no blockers post-RC4) as part of that announcement.
[20:39] <pbecker> We wanted to push out RC4 last Monday.
[20:40] <tdonohue> My recommendation... RC4 ASAP...then 6.0 Final ~1-2 weeks later (depending on schedule of person cutting final release)
[20:40] <pbecker> tdonohue: can you send those out? I will send you a concrete date for cutting DSpace 6.0 as soon as RC4 is out.
[20:40] <tdonohue> I think it's best to leave at least a week between the two releases...but hopefully not go more than two weeks between
[20:41] <hpottinger> OK, so, RC4: ASAP, 6.0: ASAP + 2 weeks
[20:41] <tdonohue> yes, I should be able to send the RC4 announcement out. I'll base it on the RC3 one
[20:41] <pbecker> exactly. But for example I won’t be able to cut the final release on Thursdays… ;-)
[20:41] <pbecker> hpottinger: yes.
[20:42] <pbecker> I think that is all we can do now for 6.0.
[20:42] <tdonohue> sounds like we have a good plan then. :)
[20:42] <hpottinger> only reason I'm stuck on this is I have been reporting in my standups that "a date will be selected for 6.0 soon, probably mid October"
[20:43] <tdonohue> That was everything "official" on our agenda. Any other topics/discussions/questions to bring up today?
[20:43] <pbecker> I do feel the same. I was promising dates for final release in July.
[20:43] <pbecker> the plan was to cut RC4 on last Monday, but there is still one issue we need to resolve bevore.
[20:43] <pbecker> s/bevore/before
[20:43] <kompewter> pbecker meant to say: the plan was to cut RC4 on last Monday, but there is still one issue we need to resolve before.
[20:43] <hpottinger> my only feeling on it is that I don't want to say the same thing in the middle of October :-)
[20:44] <tdonohue> hpottinger: be honest. We have one ticket open before RC4. 6.0 Final is planned for approx. one to two weeks after that. We currently think that means mid-to-late Oct
[20:45] <hpottinger> but, ASAP and ASAP + 2 weeks is fine, I will pitch in with 3097/1549 if mhwood needs the help
[20:46] <mhwood> Thanks, I'll keep in touch.
[20:46] <tdonohue> I realize 6.0 has been a pain to get out the door...but I feel we really needed more time to stabilize (and we are now starting to seem well "stabilized")
[20:46] <pbecker> We can talk about dates, but it depends if we really get the issues closed.
[20:46] <pbecker> currently I hope to cut 6.0 on 21st, so official release date would be Monday 24th.
[20:47] <pbecker> but that would mean, RC4 has to be cut till next Monday.
[20:47] <hpottinger> to be clear, I'm not complaining, just prodding on the off chance dates can be chosen, but work remains
[20:47] <tdonohue> those seem like good dates to aim for...but as you said, it depends on hitting that RC4 date :)
[20:48] <mhwood> so, there is one PR to be tested and then RC4 can go out?
[20:48] <tdonohue> Any other topics to bring up or discuss today? We have about 10 minutes left here... we can end early if nothing else, but I don't mind more chit chat / discussion :)
[20:48] <mhwood> Wait, I mixed up my versions. Never mind.
[20:48] <pbecker> jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3354?jql=project%20%3D%20DS%20AND%20status%20in%20(Received%2C%20%22More%20Details%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Volunteer%20Needed%22%2C%20%22Code%20Review%20Needed%22%2C%20Accepted%2C%20%22Awaiting%20Documentation%22)%20AND%20priority%20in%20(Blocker%2C%20Critical%2C%20Major)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.0
[20:48] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3354 ] - [DS-3354] http://demo.dspace.org/jspui/simple-search?locale=de has Sytem error - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:49] <pbecker> mhwood: +1 :-)
[20:49] <pbecker> I have to go back to my talk for tomorrow unless we missed something really important?
[20:50] <hpottinger> DS-3345 is the RC4 blocker?
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3345 ] - [DS-3345] &quot;Missing&quot; migration when upgrading 5.6 -&gt; 6.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:50] <tdonohue> It's sounding like we hit all the important topics for today. But, I'll hang around here a bit longer in case something comes up
[20:50] <mhwood> On a positive note: 6.0 has taken so long that there may be some Angular 2 books available not long after we begin 7 in earnest.
[20:51] <tdonohue> yes, hpottinger... 3345 involves touching DB migrations. Ideally, we really don't like doing that in bug-fix releases (unless necessary). So, it needs to be resolved in 6.0
[20:51] <tdonohue> (plus it affects some upgrade paths)
[20:52] <hpottinger> OK, so... Friday I'm going to devote to DSpace bug smashing, I'll head to #dspace people point me at a bug, I'm smashing it
[20:52] <pbecker> great offer!
[20:55] <tdonohue> sounds great!
[20:58] <mhwood> Are we done for today, then?
[20:59] <tdonohue> Thanks all, honestly! Also, please do let me know if there's any ways you want to restructure these meetings in the coming months (feedback welcome!)
[21:00] <tdonohue> yes, we are finished for today. See you all next week
[21:00] <lap82> thank you all! bye
[21:00] <mhwood> 'bye all!
[21:00] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:00] <pbecker> bye, thanks!
[21:00] * lap82 (570ad2f6@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:02] * rfazio (972f7976@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[21:03] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: later, taterz!)
[21:08] * pbecker (~anonymous@55d4393c.access.ecotel.net) Quit (Quit: pbecker)
[21:35] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace
[21:36] * terry-b (~chrome@covis2.georgetown.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[23:55] * PhilipV (~philip@ has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.