#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2016-10-19

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:45] -niven.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:45] -niven.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:45] -niven.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:45] -niven.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:46] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:46] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:46] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[7:53] * PhilipV (~philip@ has joined #duraspace
[12:12] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:25] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[14:31] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) has joined #duraspace
[14:32] * lap82 (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:35] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@vpn-128-97-245-75.host.ucla.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] <hpottinger> for the log-checking folks: it looks like a date for the UI meeting has been selected: http://doodle.com/poll/5ycsku6r872vkzdn
[14:48] <kompewter> [ Doodle: DSpace UI Meeting ] - http://doodle.com/poll/5ycsku6r872vkzdn
[14:49] <hpottinger> to save you a click, it's Tue 10/25/16 10 AM EDT (2 PM UTC) I'm sure more info will be coming out, but, if you want to mark your calendar, now you can.
[14:52] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@vpn-128-97-245-75.host.ucla.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[14:52] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@vpn-128-97-245-75.host.ucla.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:04] <mhwood> At the moment we have no meeting page for this week, but last week's is available: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-10-12
[15:04] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2016-10-12 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2016-10-12
[15:07] <mhwood> DSpace 6.0-RC4 has been published since 14-Oct-2016 :-) and announced since 17-Oct-2016 :-/ and at the moment we have *no* "must-have" issues showing on the agenda.
[15:12] <hpottinger> I expect an announcement with more details will be made, but if you're interested in the next UI meeting, a time and date has been selected, you can mark your calendars for Tue 10/25/16 10 AM EDT (2 PM UTC)
[15:12] <hpottinger> I just noticed that on the Doodle Poll: http://doodle.com/poll/5ycsku6r872vkzdn
[15:12] <kompewter> [ Doodle: DSpace UI Meeting ] - http://doodle.com/poll/5ycsku6r872vkzdn
[15:12] <mhwood> It seems that today's moderator is unable to be here for some reason. Shall we just proceed?
[15:13] <hpottinger> +1 it's late where pbecker is, something probably came up
[15:14] <hpottinger> role call, who's actually here?
[15:14] * hpottinger raises his hand.
[15:14] <lap82> hpottinger +1
[15:15] <hpottinger> mhwood, me and lap82 that makes a "quorum" I think we can proceed
[15:16] <hpottinger> though we probably should stick to ticket sorting
[15:16] <lap82> we can start with https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0
[15:16] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.0
[15:17] <mhwood> At this point, anything not Blocker or perhaps Critical should move to 6.1 or just be de-scheduled.
[15:17] <mhwood> IMO
[15:20] <hpottinger> lap82, you're our RC for 6, yes?
[15:20] <lap82> ehm... no sorry
[15:20] <hpottinger> oh, that's right, it's pbecker
[15:22] <hpottinger> I see that the top one on that list that mhwood just linked is from lap82, and is marked "quick win"
[15:24] <hpottinger> and the next one, DSPR#1547 is a tiny dot release bump to PDFbox
[15:24] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1547 ] - DS-3351 bump pdfbox version (bugfixes only) by helix84
[15:24] * hpottinger is in a mood to merge some stuff
[15:24] <mhwood> How many more Release Candidates are we going to do?
[15:24] <lap82> I think that mhwood prefer to move all this issue into 6.1
[15:28] <mhwood> My suggestion is that anything we have left should wait unless it is critical. Otherwise I fear that there never will *be* a 6.0.
[15:28] <hpottinger> OK by me, I was just reading through all the related discussion
[15:28] <mhwood> This release is already 10 months late.
[15:28] <lap82> merge again a single line of code could be break the release... so the 6.0 is frozen... we waiting for the test by volunteers and asap will be 'cut', is right?
[15:29] <hpottinger> OK, I'll tame my urge to merge
[15:29] <mhwood> Yes. The last estimate was that RC4 would be tagged 'dspace-6.0' this Friday and announced Monday.
[15:29] * hpottinger sits on his hands, but looks agitated. o.O
[15:30] <mhwood> We need to open up 6.1 so that eager volunteers can begin testing and merging stuff that had to wait.
[15:30] <hpottinger> +1 6.1 I have bugs I want to squash
[15:30] <mhwood> Meanwhile, the only installation of RC4 that I know of is on demo. Any others?
[15:31] <lap82> none
[15:31] <hpottinger> I bet longsight is running one, let me round up Peter
[15:32] <mhwood> terry-b3 was pondering how to do some performance testing. I don't know whether he's had time to get any results.
[15:33] <hpottinger> I may have a student working on testing stuff for us, when we start to ponder an upgrade
[15:34] <mhwood> We ought to have a standard test scaffolding that will build some content (perhaps a lot!) and run a set of performance tests.
[15:35] <hpottinger> I bet at least one of the RSPs has something like that already.
[15:36] <hpottinger> Maybe even DuraSpace?
[15:36] * hpottinger likes it when people share. :-)
[15:37] <lap82> :-)
[15:37] <mhwood> You can find gadgets at git@github.com:mwoodiupui/dspace-tools.git that will build a community/collection tree and fill it with tiny lorem-ipsum items, but that's all I have right now.
[15:38] <hpottinger> oooh!
[15:39] <lap82> mhwood you have one issue opened :-)
[15:42] <hpottinger> mhwood: please consider donating that to the dspace-labs org? https://github.com/dspace-labs
[15:42] <kompewter> [ DSpace Repository Labs · GitHub ] - https://github.com/dspace-labs
[15:43] <mhwood> I will consider that. I want to extend the tool kit a bit....
[15:46] <mhwood> Any more discussion of performance testing?
[15:47] <hpottinger> cwilper has some other handy tools: https://github.com/cwilper/dsogen and https://github.com/cwilper/gutenproc
[15:47] <kompewter> [ GitHub - cwilper/dsogen: Generates DSpace objects that can be imported for testing ] - https://github.com/cwilper/dsogen
[15:47] <kompewter> [ GitHub - cwilper/gutenproc: Processes the Project Gutenberg DVD from 2010 ] - https://github.com/cwilper/gutenproc
[15:48] <lap82> I need to leave. thank you for your work into DSpace platform. See soon! Bye
[15:48] <mhwood> 'bye
[15:49] <mhwood> Does Friday still sound like a reasonable date to tag and release 6.0?
[15:50] * PhilipV (~philip@ Quit (Quit: PhilipV)
[15:50] * lap82 (d51acfc4@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[15:51] <hpottinger> well... I don't know anything about "reasonable" :-) *and* I'm not the person pulling the lever, however, I say, yes!
[15:51] <hpottinger> Narf!
[15:51] <mhwood> Hm, who *is* actually pulling the lever?
[15:51] <hpottinger> pbecker?
[15:52] <mhwood> I assume so.
[15:52] <hpottinger> hmm... my brain is telling me in the past that a Friday release date has caused us problems
[15:53] <hpottinger> that was for a bugfix release, though
[15:53] <mhwood> For RC4, it ran long and I didn't get the announcement out until Monday, but I think that is planned anyway?
[15:54] <hpottinger> Yeah, as long as pbecker is on board with that plan, then Friday sounds fine to me
[15:55] <hpottinger> "running long" for pbecker is "about lunch time" for us in the US
[15:55] <mhwood> The new upload-to-OSSRH machinery seemed to work well.
[15:55] <hpottinger> neat!
[15:55] <mhwood> Yes, he can pass the baton if need be.
[15:56] <hpottinger> pbecker, when you read the logs, know that we'll help if you need it
[15:56] <mhwood> Yes.
[15:57] <mhwood> Oh, wait, I'm off work on Friday. I will try to check in anyway, sometime during the day.
[15:58] <hpottinger> sounds like we have a plan for 6, and if anyone has a a burning desire to fix a bug, 6.1 is your jam
[15:58] <mhwood> Yes.
[15:59] <mhwood> Since it's down to just us two, and we seem to be out of topics, should we close the Official Meeting?
[15:59] <hpottinger> Look at that, we're at the top of the hour and our business is settled
[15:59] <hpottinger> I shall now wander off in search of lunch.
[16:00] <mhwood> I'll consider that "moved, seconded, passed unanimously by all present." Meeting adjourned.
[16:58] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@vpn-128-97-245-75.host.ucla.edu) Quit (Quit: later, taterz!)
[17:23] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@vpn-128-97-245-75.host.ucla.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:20] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[19:22] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[19:22] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Client Quit)
[19:29] * dyelar (~dyelar@ has joined #duraspace
[21:03] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:16] * th5 (~th5@unaffiliated/th5) Quit ()
[21:28] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@vpn-128-97-245-75.host.ucla.edu) Quit (Quit: later, taterz!)
[22:31] * dyelar (~dyelar@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.