#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-04-26

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:52] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[0:52] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:46] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:46] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:46] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:47] -rajaniemi.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:47] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:47] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:47] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[12:21] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:58] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:03] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[14:13] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:45] * pbecker (~anonymous@55d42612.access.ecotel.net) has joined #duraspace
[17:11] * pbecker (~anonymous@55d42612.access.ecotel.net) Quit (Quit: pbecker)
[17:22] * pbecker (~anonymous@55d42612.access.ecotel.net) has joined #duraspace
[18:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> FYI, for today's dev meeting, I have to run out about 30 minutes in to get to an appointment
[20:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: I've lost track of time today, but our DevMtg will be starting momentarily (once I send around a few quick reminders). Here's the agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-04-26
[20:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-04-26 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-04-26
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, reminders sent. ;)
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, the agenda is above, and it's the usual notes/topic. Quick reminder of the DSpace 7 UI meeting tomorrow at 15UTC in Slack
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And the main topic is still trying to get 6.1 out the door ASAP, and we're still in need of some additional help/support to get this packaged up and ready to go.
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The list of high priority tickets is getting smaller, but there's still some important ones we need to get in this release.
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Here's the high priority 6.1 tickets: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.1%20ORDER%20BY%20%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[20:05] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%206.1%20ORDER%20BY%20%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm gonna pull out a few of the more important fixes here...so we can get some status on them
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DS-3572 / DSPR#1715
[20:06] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3572 ] - [DS-3572] AuthorizeService.authorize(..., EPerson, ...) checks context.currentEPerson instead of specified one - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:06] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1715 ] - DS-3572: Check authorization for a specified user instead of currentUser by pnbecker ¡ Pull Request #1715 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And I see @pbecker just updated this PR with a unit test, as requested! Thanks!
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This seems like something we can now do a quick, final code review on and merge it (as it was not really "testable" prior to the unit test)
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I just tested dspace-6_x with the test and without the patch and it passes. so the test does not seem to do what I expected.
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> will have to check that.
[20:08] * pbecker (~anonymous@55d42612.access.ecotel.net) Quit (Quit: pbecker)
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, should we give you more time on that then? It would be good to understand how to get a proper test for this. The code change seems obviously necessary though and important
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’ll try to work that out.
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @pbecker
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Small note: allMemberGroups is more expensive than epersonInGroup, especially for large repositories. So we might want to revert that change.
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @tom_desair : could you add that in a PR comment? Thanks for that
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> @pbecker ping me if you need another tester
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @tom_desair any help on this is highly appriciated. isMember() was not working correctly.
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @hpottinger thanks
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In the essence of time, I'm going to move along. But, we can always loop back to this if needed.
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The next very important fix in this 6.1 list is from @tom_desair DS-3552 / DSPR#1694
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1694 ] - Ds 3552 read only context and hibernate improvements by tomdesair ¡ Pull Request #1694 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3552 ] - [DS-3552] Select Collection step and submissions page load very slow on large repositories due to Hibernate - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The ticket no longer adequately describes the extent of the fix in the PR (we should correct it). The PR seems very important for performance though
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I plan to test that tomorrow.
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’ll also plan a review, but seeing the extend of the PR I don’t know if I get this done in time.
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @pbecker : if you can concentrate on a test of the PR, I'll gladly take on the code review part
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It seems like it's already received a couple tests along the way...but more improvements have come in since then...so one last test would be great
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds like a plan here then. Hopefully we get this merged very soon then
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Closely related to this Ticket / PR (but not on the 6.1 list yet) is DS-3579 / DSPR#1727
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579 ] - [DS-3579] Assess Context connection mode and cache management for DSpace CLI jobs - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1727 ] - DS-3579 Context mode and cache management for CLI commands by tomdesair
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (I should have flagged this one as high priority as well, but overlooked it)
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Is this ready as well, @tom_desair ? Or is it a WIP?
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> That still needs some more testing and fixing from our (Atmire) side
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, we'll wait on it then. In the meantime, initial code reviews welcome (and I see @mwood already did one)
[20:19] <mhwood> If it's still being developed, a work-in-progress label (under Labels) would be welcome.
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> flagged as such. I *believe* only Committers can add those Labels in GitHub. I've not yet figured out if there's a way to let PR submitters add labels
[20:20] <mhwood> Ah
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, we (Committers) need to be more diligent on labeling new PRs as they come in (and based on their descriptions/code changes)
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I can't assign labels I think
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> e.g. I *try* to add the "quick win" label whenever I see a small PR come in
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, back to our 6.1 ticket list then...
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> next is DS-3558 / DSPR#1707
[20:22] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1707 ] - DS 3558 Case-insensitive bot matching option by Frederic-Atmire
[20:22] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3558 ] - [DS-3558] Case-insensitive bot user agent matching can have performance impact - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Looks like @hpottinger is looking for suggestions on testing this
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I'll tell Frederic to give some tips for that
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Glancing at the code, we should likely comment out this setting by default (and ensure everything works when it's commented out). In minor releases, our configs should be backwards compatible, so if this config is missing, nothing should "break"
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll add that to the PR as a comment
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Is there a way to simply Unit Test this? Might be another option here
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I know we cannot really test the *performance* easily in a unit test, but at least we can test the behavior based on the config
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Good point, I'll look into that.
[20:26] <mhwood> Probably, and we should have that test anyway.
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> yes, any suggestions for tesing 1707 welcomed by me
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I need to run in about 2 minutes, to get my kids to an appointment
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : if we get a unit test, we may not have as much need for "testing" of it..other than to look through the code and unit test code.
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In any case, we have some directions here. I added comments into the PR itself based on this discussion
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, next up is DS-3406 / DSPR#1684
[20:30] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3406 ] - [DS-3406] Sub-communities and collections not sorted alphabetically - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:30] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1684 ] - DS-3406: Sort communities and collections in-memory using a comparator by tomdesair
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This one looks to be waiting on review/testing. Though it got a test from Elvi Nemiz (see ticket comments)
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Anyone here want to volunteer to do a code review and/or additional test?
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, and yes, it comes with a Unit Test ;)
[20:33] <mhwood> Looks like I read at least halfway through. I have a "pending" review. Not sure how to continue, but I will figure it out.
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, I can add this to my list to code review then. As it has a unit test & verification from a user, I'd say this looks mergable assuming the code looks good.
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Np :relaxed:
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> mhwood: You should be able to simply submit the pending review (if you are done) or continue it from the "files changed" tab
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’ll try to test that in JSPUI tomorrow too.
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @pbecker
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, good to see we have several open PRs with plans to move them forward (hopefully quickly)
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We still do have these two tickets which need volunteers. At this point, I expect both to miss the 6.1 release, but figured I'd remind folks about them. DS-3287 and DS-3447
[20:36] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3287 ] - [DS-3287] ElasticSearch Statistics fails in 6.0 (does not work at all) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:36] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447 ] - [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:36] <mhwood> I would prioritize 3287 over 3447 (for now).
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> +1 mhwood
[20:37] <mhwood> But do we have any developers using ES?
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm unaware of any... ES Stats was really "owned" by @peterdietz early on. But, from my understanding, he's no longer able to support it?
[20:38] <mhwood> That is my recollection.
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <peterdietz> Hi, not supporting Elastic Search.
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We already voted to deprecate it too..so, it'll be gone in 7.0. But, it would be nice to get it minimally working again in 6.x
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Are there any other tickets / PRs that folks @here would like more eyes on? We have some time here to review other tickets for possible inclusion in 6.1
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Kevin (and Lotte) have the ORCID 2 integration almost ready. We still need to do some internal testing and verification.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Great to hear, @tom_desair!
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, and by the way, if others haven't seen, this PR looks promising: DSPR#1735 I already did a quick code review (and added suggestions) as I do hope we can see this get in "soonish" (if not 6.1 then soon after)
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1735 ] - DS-3127 whitelist of formats allowable in citation pdf url for google scholar by Frederic-Atmire
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> We have some work going on for DS-3127 but I saw @tdonohue posted some remarks. But it'll be ready soon.
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3127 ] - [DS-3127] Create a &quot;whitelist&quot; of formats allowable in citation_pdf_url for Google Scholar (request from Google) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: tom_desair types slower on mobile :grinning:
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, I think it's looking good overall. But, I suspect the configuration can be simplified (as noted in the comments)
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Any other tickets that folks would like to highlight / bring up here?
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> DS-3551
[20:45] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3551 ] - [DS-3551] DSpace 5x XMLUI open two simultaneous DB connections to serve one item page view or bitstream download - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Not really DSpace 6 but still important
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSPR#1700 is it's PR
[20:45] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1700 ] - DS-3551 db connections reduction by jonas-atmire
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It's failing tests though?
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I see Jonas says "I've also noticed that the failing tests have been present from before my commits." But, we would have seen test failures on the 5.x branch if that were true, right?
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: tdonohue is checking the Travis status of the 5.x branch..maybe I missed this
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Just stepped back into the meeting and saw your request for tickets to discuss. It would be good to get some attention on https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3517. It should be a quick test if you have the right version of GhostScript.
[20:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3517 ] - [DS-3517] ImageMagick PDF thumbnail should always create sRGB JPEG files - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:47] <kompewter> [ [DS-3517] ImageMagick PDF thumbnail should always create sRGB JPEG files - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3517.
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Nope, 5.x looks to be passing tests: https://travis-ci.org/DSpace/DSpace/branches. I'll let Jonas know, he may need to rebase his PR on the latest code
[20:48] <kompewter> [ Travis CI - Test and Deploy Your Code with Confidence ] - https://travis-ci.org/DSpace/DSpace/branches.
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> @terrywbrady I agree but I haven't found a server with the correct version yet
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 3517 has DSPR#1669
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1669 ] - DS-3517 Allow improved handling of CMYK PDFs by alanorth ¡ Pull Request #1669 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (sorry, just trying to crosslink the PR here)
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I just tagged it with a milestone and with Quick Win
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Another issue we can across is DS-3549
[20:51] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3549 ] - [DS-3549] Bitstream encoding is ISO-8859 instead of UTF-8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @tom_desair : I commented on DSPR#1693 (related to 3549) but never heard back. I'm not sure I understand the change
[20:52] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1693 ] - DS-3549: Encode bitstreams with UTF-8 in XMLUI by PhilipVis
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, more information on *why* this works would be nice. I noted in my comment it seems to remove a previous change which was said (at the time) to fix UTF-8 encoding issues
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I just want to understand why we've determined the old way was "wrong" and this way is "right"
[20:54] <mhwood> That may turn on the meaning of forceEncoding.
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> Ok I'll check
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> mhwood: it might. I didn't try to wrap my head around this entirely...i just ran into that question as I looked at the code changes.
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, if anyone else figures it out, please feel free to answer my question :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm going to flag this as "quick win" and with a milestone nonetheless, so we don't forget about it.
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, we are nearly out of time for today. So, that's probably all we can fit into this meeting.
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Again, just a reminder that the DSpace 7 UI team will be meeting tomorrow at 15 UTC (as they do every Thurs). It'll be on Slack this week, so feel free to join us then in angular-ui and rest-api channels
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> DS-2748 is also easy to test
[20:59] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2748 ] - [DS-2748] Cocoon logs overly verbose when 404s occur - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> With that, we'll close up the meeting this week. But, thanks all for your help & support (and all the PRs!). Hopefully we can move these final 6.1 PRs forward quickly and get this release out the door.
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @tom_desair : yes, thanks for the reminder on that one as well. I'd like to see that get in..and I already give a +1 to the code in DSPR#1697
[21:00] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1697 ] - DS-2748: Do not throw an exception in the PageNotFoundTransformer by tomdesair ¡ Pull Request #1697 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, if someone can give it a second +1 / test, I think we can get this one merged
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In any case, we'll see you next week. Please do take some time to help review/test PRs (quick wins or ones flagged as high priority for 6.1)! We'll see you next week!
[21:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: tom_desair has 4 reminders for tomorrow.
[21:02] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:16] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[21:33] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:50] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.