#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-05-17

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:26] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:26] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:26] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:26] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:26] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:26] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:26] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[13:43] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: reminder that our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting starts at the top of the hour here. As usual, concentration will be on finishing up 6.1 release. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-05-17
[14:56] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2017-05-17 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-05-17
[14:58] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: Welcome and good morning/afternoon, all. Agenda for today's DevMtg is already linked above.
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We have the usual reminder that our next DSpace 7 UI Working Group meeting is tomorrow at 15UTC (this time) in Google Hangouts. So, if you have an interest in chipping in on the DSpace 7 work (on Angular UI or REST API), I'd recommend joining our meeting for that effort
[15:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll loop back to this at the end of the meeting, but I'm also going to be out next Weds (and Fri). So, I'm going to miss this meeting next week, and we'll need someone else to coordinate it. I'll be around, just won't be able to make the meeting.
[15:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> But, for today, let's dive into where things sit for the upcoming 6.1 and 5.7 releases.
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The high priority tickets are linked in the Agenda. But, here's a direct link to the 6.1 and 5.7 high priority items: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20AND%20fixVersion%20in%20(5.7%2C%206.1)%20ORDER%20BY%20%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[15:05] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20AND%20fixVersion%20in%20(5.7%2C%206.1)%20ORDER%20BY%20%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The good news here is that the vast majority of tickets are in "Code Review Needed" status. But, we need to get them finalized, tested and merged obviously
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> some of them are even merged already, but misses an upgrade to our master branch or something comparable.
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In recent weeks, I realized that we skipped over a few tickets targeted for performance improvements in 5.7. So, I'd like to start with those today...
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @pbecker : good point ;)
[15:07] * pbecker (~pbecker@ubwstmapc098.ub.tu-berlin.de) Quit (Quit: slack and irc notifying me of each other is to much ;-))
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Let's start today with DS-3551 / DSPR#1700
[15:08] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1700 ] - DS-3551 db connections reduction by jonas-atmire
[15:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3551 ] - [DS-3551] DSpace 5x XMLUI open two simultaneous DB connections to serve one item page view or bitstream download - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This provides some performance fixes to the DSpace 5.x XMLUI. It seems like something we should work to merge quickly for the 5.7 release...but it needs a code review/test
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Anyone interested in giving this a review/test?
[15:10] <mhwood> I'm still concentrating on Ds-3431 5_x.
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> ok, no worries. I just wanted to highlight this one, as we haven't mentioned this in a meeting recently.
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If anyone *does* find time, this is one that really could use eyes/testing for 5.7. I'll also see if I can find time myself to minimally do a code review.
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up, another performance fix for 5.x: DS-3563
[15:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3563 ] - [DS-3563] DSpace 5.6 is missing a database index on metadatavalue.resource_type_id - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSPR#1706
[15:13] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1706 ] - Ds 3563 missing index metadatavalue resource type id by tomdesair
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This is in the same situation, although the migrations here *look* correct to me. Just would be good to get another set of eyes on this
[15:14] <mhwood> I will read it.
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks mhwood!
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Is this also necessary for 6x or already applied there?
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 1706 isn't need for 6.x, according to @tom_desair (see the final comment in that PR), as that column no longer exists in 6.x
[15:15] <mhwood> Comment says the affected column doesn't exist in 6_x.
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> thx
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> no problem, and thanks for double checking with that though. ;)
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving along here..skipping down to DS-3572 / DSPR#1715
[15:17] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3572 ] - [DS-3572] AuthorizeService.authorize(..., EPerson, ...) checks context.currentEPerson instead of specified one - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:17] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1715 ] - DS-3572: Check authorization for a specified user instead of currentUser by pnbecker ¡ Pull Request #1715 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> my duty, sorry.
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If I recall correctly, @tom_desair offered to help you out with this, @pbecker ? Any latest status?
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> no. I think we both were quite busy with a lot of other things.
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Is there any way to try and help move this forward? It seems a bit "stuck" for several weeks now. Just wondering if either of you see time for this in the near future?
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I hope so, but cannot promise anything. also next week is a short one with a national holliday on thursday.
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> If anyone wants to step in, I would appreciate it. If not, I'll see what I can do.
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I also haven’t had any time to work on that
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @tom_desair : any chance you'd have time in the next week or so to implement some of your suggestions here?
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so it sounds like in general this is a ticket that needs some help. If we have anyone else @here with time to give / a willingness to do so, we could use more eyes / suggestions / separate PR implementation for DSPR#1715
[15:22] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1715 ] - DS-3572: Check authorization for a specified user instead of currentUser by pnbecker ¡ Pull Request #1715 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm going to move along for now, but this is one we should all try to find a little time to help out, if possible (self included)
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next in the list is DS-3579 / DSPR#1727
[15:24] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579 ] - [DS-3579] Assess Context connection mode and cache management for DSpace CLI jobs - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:24] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1727 ] - DS-3579 Context mode and cache management for CLI commands by tomdesair
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @tom_desair Is there anything you want to add to this PR or is it just waiting test(s) & review(s)?
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This one is flagged WIP, is it still a work in progress, @tom_desair? Also, it looks like we have some conflicts in the branch of this PR
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It looks like I added the WIP flag to this one, but don't recall why. It's possible Tom asked me to...so, it'd be good to hear from @tom_desair if this is ready for test/review now
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> yes
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> it still in progress. I’ll rebase it this week
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, thanks @tom_desair . Please let us know when it is ready to review and we'll take off the WIP flag
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @tom_desair If you'll ping me when you're done with it, I'll try to find time to test and review it.
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @tom_desair, while you are here...the next ticket also is looking for feedback from you. DS-3552.
[15:29] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3552 ] - [DS-3552] Select Collection step and submissions page load very slow on large repositories due to Hibernate - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 3552 was already merged to 6.x branch, but needs a PR to port it to "master" (as cherry picking wasn't possible). Any chance anyone from Atmire could help with that, @tom_desair? Or should we look for other volunteers here?
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I'll tested this in the last day again and it really works great.
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> No I’ll port it to master
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, thanks again @tom_desair. Once you have the master PR posted, let us know...I'll be glad to give it a quick review & merge it so we can close the ticket
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving along, DS-3447 is next in the list. But, it doesn't have a PR yet, and it's not high priority until later this year (when ORCID API is scheduled to be updated)
[15:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447 ] - [DS-3447] Transition ORCID integration to ORCID API 2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I don't think there's anything more to say there.
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next in the list is DS-3281 / DSPR#1743.
[15:34] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3281 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[15:34] <kompewter> [ https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1743 ] - DS-3281 - Submisisions made through REST API (POST/item method) use workflow by arvoConsultores ¡ Pull Request #1743 ¡ DSpace/DSpace ¡ GitHub
[15:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This looks like an obvious quick win to me. I've already gave it a +1. So, this just needs another reviewer/tester so we can merge & close.
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: tdonohue notes that on my end Slack is being a bit "slow"...my messages aren't coming through so quickly. Hopefully this is all making it to you though (as it seems to be going to irc)
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Once 1743 gets another review, I think we can merge this...then we'd just need to port it to 6.x/master (which shouldn't be difficult, but likely won't be a simple cherry-pick cause of the API changes)
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> The wrong pr is linked in the ticket, I'll fix this.
[15:38] <mhwood> So the indexing will happen when the item completes review (if any)? Makes sense.
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, mhwood, indexing is triggered automatically when the normal review/workflow process completes
[15:40] <mhwood> Two approvals.
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> did anyone tested it?
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> three aprovals now.
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I have not tested it, but it looks rather obvious to me
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That said, I agree it'd be nice to give it a quick sanity test
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @martin commented in the ticket.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> @martin do you think you could give it a test run?
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm not sure he's in this Slack channel, @pbecker So, we should ask him in the ticket or PR likely
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I'll reach out to him
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I can also see if I can find time to give this a sanity check test and/or port to master/6.x. This seems small enough that I can hopefully find a few hours to just tackle it. Plus, everyone else here seems to have plenty of other tickets in their laps
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @pbecker. Definitely still reach out to him for a test. I can do the port, if no one else gets to it first
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Are there other tickets that folks would like to discuss here, or provide updates on?
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I send @martin a direct message in slack.
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> thanks!
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> np
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As we are nearing the end of time here, I did want to quickly mention the two questions that @hpottinger asked on dspace-devel mailing list recently. So far, no one has responded, but we could use more feedback/thoughts on both
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> One was the DSpace + Spring question...are we wanting to move the entire codebase to be more Spring-ified: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/dspace-devel/oBWibfQUXzI/y05K-wpLAgAJ
[15:51] <kompewter> [ Google Groups ] - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/dspace-devel/oBWibfQUXzI/y05K-wpLAgAJ
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The other was about adding more SQL dialects / database types to our support...specifically MySQL: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dspace-devel/UfTU7AFZjs0/UOgiSnJKAgAJ
[15:51] <kompewter> [ Google Groups ] - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dspace-devel/UfTU7AFZjs0/UOgiSnJKAgAJ
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Neither are high priority questions, but if you have thoughts on either, please feel free to add thoughts to the threads on dspace-devel or in the referenced tickets in those emails
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I already commented on the SQL dialects in the jira issue. But I would be interested to hear what others think about it!
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> If there is no other topic can we discuss DS-3582 for a minute?
[15:53] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3582 ] - ('Unexpected error:', <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>)
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Or is this something we should discuss in the ticket only (as it requires login)?
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sure, we are nearing the end of the hour though, but glad to touch on it
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It *sounds* to me like this is a hard to reproduce issue, but @cwilper noted that simply closing the Context seems to help things. It's very odd to me that the Context on that page never gets formally closed
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I expect there are two ways to fix it. The simple one is just to add a context.commit() or context.abort() to the JSP.
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> The better solution would be to dig in deeper and to see where in the backend the context call is missing.
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I really want to see a solution in 6.1 for this.
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I also have in mind that JSPUI won't make it to DSpace 7, so I tend to the simple (and maybe dirty) solution here.
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm not sure I understand your "better solution" option.... the Context object holds a DB connection, and it sounds (to me) like if you can force a bunch of Context objects to remain open, those DB connections never get closed
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I'm actually wondering myself if the "simple" fix is the most appropriate one... I agree, it'd be best to fix in 6.1. But, a simple fix of closing the Context seems "good enough" to me
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> the question is where the context is closed "normally" as it seems to be a problem just on the startpage.
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (assuming of course it is proven to work properly)
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> It seems to me. I can call Eike anytime we need more infos.
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Perhaps someone comments on the ticket or maybe even solves this. Is not we should discuss it again next week.
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We are at the top of the hour, so yes, I'm fine with leaving this to next week. But, I'd encourage others to comment on the ticket if you find a better fix. Or even create a PR here for review/testing
[16:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> For XMLUI that happens here: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-6_x/dspace-xmlui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/xmlui/cocoon/DSpaceCocoonServletFilter.java#L179
[16:02] <kompewter> [ DSpace/DSpaceCocoonServletFilter.java at dspace-6_x · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-6_x/dspace-xmlui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/xmlui/cocoon/DSpaceCocoonServletFilter.java#L179
[16:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> one of the biggest differences between xmlui and jspui is whether they expect everything gone write or not.
[16:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> IIRC at least till DSpace 5 JSPUI did a context.abort() if a context was left open and XMLUI did a context.commit().
[16:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> There also is a ticket discussing that and asking if we need to harmonize that.
[16:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2072
[16:04] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2072 ] - [DS-2072] XMLUI always commits any uncommitted changes while JSPUI always discards any uncommitted changes - DuraSpace JIRA
[16:04] <kompewter> [ [DS-2072] XMLUI always commits any uncommitted changes while JSPUI always discards any uncommitted changes - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2072
[16:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> At this point, I see no point in harmonizing that across two UIs that are being retired. But, yes, it is worth noting that XMLUI auto-closes out the Context (after each request). I'm not sure how or if JSPUI does that automatically
[16:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Oh and: adopting the service based API the context.commit() call was removed.
[16:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I link the tickets.
[16:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: tom_desair needs to go now, but he’ll catch up tomorrow
[16:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I'm fine with closing the meeting. Have to run too.
[16:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, sounds good. We'll close this up for today. Please add comments/notes/hints to the ticket itself!
[16:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks all!
[16:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I'll add a comment later today.
[21:04] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:44] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.