#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-05-31

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:34] -cherryh.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:34] -cherryh.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:34] -cherryh.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:34] -cherryh.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:34] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:34] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:34] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[9:01] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (*.net *.split)
[9:03] * kompewter (~kompewter@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[9:09] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:09] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:58] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:30] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[14:44] * AlexS[zedat] (~Alexander@home.zedat.fu-berlin.de) has joined #duraspace
[14:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: Reminder that our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting starts here at the top of the hour. Agenda at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-05-31
[15:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: it's DSpace Developers Meeting time! Agenda is at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-05-31
[15:01] <mhwood> Attendance is light today.
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As a sidenote, it seems kompewter cannot get back into IRC...so, this meeting will have to be without kompewter
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Quick role call, who is with us today in either IRC or Slack (I see mhwood is here)
[15:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I have a conflicting meeting today. As an update, I will be investigating https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3602
[15:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Any estimated timeline on status of that, @terrywbrady ?
[15:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Pinging other committers.... @hpottinger you here? @pbecker any chance you are around?
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds like we are a small group again.... which is unfortunate considering it seems like our list of 6.x bugs has grown a bit this past week :(
[15:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, well, I'd still say let's go through the high priority tickets we have for 6.1/5.7, and see if we can move any forward. Hopefully others will pop online in a bit (or read up on this later)
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The high priority tickets are in the agenda, or here: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=filter+%3D+13904+ORDER+BY+fixVersion+DESC%2C+priority+DESC+++&src=confmacro
[15:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> We'll only look at those flagged for either 5.7 or 6.1 (obviously)...there's a lot in that list near the end that are for 7.0
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> First up, looking at https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3551 (flagged for 5.7)
[15:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Assigned to @kshepherd for testing
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> hey there, sorry, was distracted, but I'm here
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: tom_desair is here but not for the full meeting
[15:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And it looks like Kim has been given some more hints in the comments on testing this... so, I'm hoping maybe he can move this forward later today (it's middle of the night still in NZ)
[15:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I'm going to move along here...hopefully @kshepherd will ping us later today when he's online
[15:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up, https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3582
[15:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This is seemingly a JSPUI specific issue, which looks to still need a volunteer to investigate. It also looks like it (might) have a workaround. Is this really still a "blocker"? Or does it need more details?
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> Needs more details, I can't reproduce it
[15:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Looking closer at the comments, it seems like there's a quick fix here at least...hopefully we can get a PR for that quick fix at a minimum
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> however.... there are a *lot* of details in the comments, I think there's enough there for a PR
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Adding a comment to request a PR
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> For 3602, I have just started investigation. I suspect that the issue is not with the statistics recording at runtime. I suspect it is a migration issue. I need to validate that.
[15:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @terrywbrady for the update here
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving along to the next ticket... https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3604
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This is another in "Needs Volunteer" status, flagged for 6.1
[15:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (And a new issue as of last week)
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Is there anyone here interested in volunteering to move this forward (hopefully to a PR)? It sounds like there are several "clues" in the ticket comments that may help
[15:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Meant to say "anyone @here willing to move this forward" :point_up:
[15:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I really want to... but I can't devote time to it at the moment
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> 3604 is a really nasty bug
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, agreed.
[15:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And it's unfortunate that we are still finding these sorts of things in 6.0....really wanting to see 6.1 out the door ASAP :(
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, we'll have to leave this as Needs Volunteer. I'll see if I can find someone outside of this meeting, or if I can find a bit of time myself to dig into it
[15:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm skipping DS-3602 (next in list) as we already got an update on that from Terry (above)
[15:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up, https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3599 / https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1751
[15:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This one has a PR from @tom_desair. It has been reviewed & tested. It'd be "nice" to have some Unit Tests enhanced in the PR, though.
[15:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @tom_desair : is this one you'd have any time to add more Unit Tests to in the near future?
[15:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, Tom may have stepped away. We'll move along. We could potentially merge this as-is...but it'd really be nice to get proper Unit Tests while we are looking at this
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3572 / https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1715
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This was a PR that was still a "work in progress" which I know @pbecker and @tom_desair said they were going to work on finishing up. Looks like it's still in WIP status :(
[15:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I’ll try to look at it this week.
[15:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> (at both items)
[15:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @tom_desair! I'd really like to move these both along quickly, if at all possible. But, whatever time you can spare here would be great
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up is DS-3552... The PR here was merged into 6.x...but never ported to "master". So, it's fixed on one branch, but not the other
[15:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Again, this was assigned to @tom_desair.... but it's likely lower priority than getting those other two tickets ready for the 6.1 release
[15:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving along to DS-3579... which has a work in progress PR at: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1727
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579
[15:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The PR here has merge conflicts now....so, it'd need cleaning up and finishing if we are to get it into 6.1. Otherwise, it'll be delayed for a 6.2 release.
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving along here... https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447
[15:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> We’ve been testing that one. So we should be able to finish it soon.
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @tom_desair !
[15:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> @tom_desair : ping me when you need another tester?
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @tom_desair : which one are you testing... DS-3447 or DS-3579 (just want to be sure I understood your comment here)
[15:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm assuming you meant DS-3579 / PR#1727...but trying to clarify
[15:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As for DS-3447, it's an improvement, and doesn't seem to be immediately pressing... so, I'm leaning towards rescheduling this for 6.2. I think 6.1 is all about high priority bug fixes. I'm sure there will be a 6.2 later this year
[15:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> It'll be June tomorrow, so the urgency is rising, but 6.2 sounds reasonable.
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> 6.2++
[15:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yep, true. I'm just really trying to cut down on what *has* to be in 6.1...already, I'm quite worried we won't finish 6.1 in time for OR2017, unless more significant effort arises in the next week or two
[15:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> do we have an RC for 6.1?
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> RC = Release Coordinator? Or Release Candidate? The former = the Committers are coordinating...and I'm trying to push this forward as best I can. The latter = no, not yet
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> :slightly_smiling_face: coordinator, yes
[15:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I don't think our gap here is in a release coordinator though...it's in resources/time available from us (developers / committers)
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> understood, just an RC might take some pressure off *you* tdonohue
[15:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Well, if anyone wants to be 6.1 Release Coordinator, I'd welcome it. Talk to me ;)
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> For now, I'm going to move along...just a few more 6.1 tickets here flagged "high priority"
[15:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3281?src=confmacro / https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1743/
[15:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, hey...this PR is at +2. So, it likely can be merged...but needs a corresponding PR for 6.x/master
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If anyone wants to volunteer to port this to 6.x, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll see if I can find spare time at the end of this week.
[15:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> tdonohue: DS-3579
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next in the list.. https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3406
[15:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This ticket is also hooked up to https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1751 (One PR for two tickets)...and we already discussed moving this PR forward above
[15:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> *Last* up here is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3517?src=confmacro / https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1669
[15:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm not sure this is truly high priority...but we can leave this on the list for now. Looks like @pbecker is testing the PR and has some outstanding requests
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Wow, that's quite a list of 6.1 "high priority" tickets :(
[15:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If you recall, our initial goal was a 6.1 release in May. That didn't happen (and some of these tickets had very little activity in May, unfortunately)
[15:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'd really like to see us get 6.1 out in time for OR2017. But, as mentioned, I'm starting to doubt whether that's possible, unless we see more movement on outstanding tickets/PRs
[15:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Do you all see any "free time" to devote to DSpace 6.1 in the coming week(s)? Is it possible for us to band together and put significant effort in (for a small amount of time) in order to finish this up by mid-June?
[15:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I've been pulled away again and again recently but that seems to have slowed. I'm still trying to port DS-3431 to 5_x.
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @mwood : any status check on the port?
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (i.e. timeline and/or estimate...or do we need to reassign it?)
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I am supposed to focus on a single project, and that's XMLUI-based, I will ask if I can carve out time to help with 6.1 release testing and pushing
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I should continue to have some time available.
[15:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I have the original patch ported, and now I'm trying to catch up with the subsequent changes. It's difficult when we can't use github.
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : any chance your group plans to work off 6.0? If so, you could argue it's in your best interest to get *6.1* out the door to stabilize your internal XMLUI project
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> @pbecker sent me some information that may help.
[15:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I have spent the past couple days making sure I can easily create/destroy 5x and 6x instances since the recent work seems to require switching between both.
[15:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> @tdonohue we're using 6x, and I use that excuse all the time, however... it's an XMLUI-based repository, so JSPUI bugs can't be justified in that way
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @hpottinger : as far as I see though, there are very few of these "high priority" tickets that are JSPUI-specific...you are more than welcome to concentrate on those that are cross UI ;) I'm just looking for ways to use your time wisely
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I'll see what I can do
[15:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @terrywbrady . Glad to hear you'll have time to continue to devote here
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @hpottinger . Sorry to be pushy...I completely understand if it's hard to swing the time... I'm just trying to find ways to get each of you to spend a small amount of concentrated effort to move individual tickets forward
[15:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If we had all of us working a small amount of time (and even just closing out one ticket each), this effort may not take too much longer ;)
[15:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Thank you. We had a lot of security stuff hit all at the same time, and I need a push to refocus now that that's calmed down.
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> For those others @here (who are *not* Committers, yet). We also could really use help/support in *testing* PRs. If you have time to spare, please scan the PRs flagged for milestone 6.1...and give one (or more) a test. Your feedback will help us finish this all up more quickly! https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.1
[15:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Quick question. I have a PR at +2. Should I merge it myself? I forget what our practice is for our own PR's: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1746
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady : Yes, feel free once you are at +2. Don't forget to cherry-pick it over to "master" too please
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> will do
[15:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> and if it won't cherry-pick cleanly, a new PR is OK
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so we are near the top of the hour now. So, I'm going to call this a meeting. I'm also going to look at my schedule this week to see how I can spend some extra time helping to move this effort forward (especially in perhaps testing or porting PRs)
[16:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm hoping that by next week we can cut this list down a bit... if we can get this shaved down, we might be able to still get 6.1 out the door prior to OR2017
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Be sure to reserve a few minutes for poking others.
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I have a standup meeting right now, however, it's a "proper" standup, so only about 10 mintues, I'll be available for backlog hour in about 10 minutes
[16:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And PLEASE do feel free to poke me if your PR needs testing or review. I'd like to help move things along where I can. And yes, I'll poke the others who are not here today
[16:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks all...and thanks for all the effort you've already put into 6.1. It's turned into a larger-than-expected release, but it'll be a very important one for our community & the 6.x codebase
[16:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: pbecker drops in right after the meeting
[16:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: pbecker reads the logs
[16:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I cherry-picked this PR from 6x to master: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1758 per our meeting discussion
[16:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @terrywbrady !
[16:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> @tdonohue I just ported https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1743/ to 6.x: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1759
[16:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @sulfrian : AWESOME! Thank you so much! I'll give these a quick test/review, and once Travis gives final approval, get them merged
[18:59] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[20:12] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[20:12] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:05] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:52] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[22:07] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:07] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[23:01] * dyelar (~dyelar@biolinux.mrb.ku.edu) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.