#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2017-06-07

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:29] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:29] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:29] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:29] -kornbluth.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:30] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:30] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:30] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[7:19] * kompewter (~kompewter@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[7:21] * DSpaceSlackBot1 (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[7:40] * DSpaceSlackBot (~DSpaceSla@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[12:40] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:02] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[14:50] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[14:51] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <sulfrian> I cannot attend the dev-mtg later, but I like to get https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1747 merged. Let me know if I can do anything to help.
[17:36] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[17:36] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: Reminder that our DSpace Developers Meeting starts at the top of the hour (20UTC). Agenda at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2017-06-07
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @here: Ok, so it's DSpace DevMtg time now. The agenda is linked just above
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As has been our normal agenda, we're pushing hard today on moving 6.1/5.7 along to get it out the door ASAP.
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Here's that list of our highest priority tickets to close out: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20and%20fixVersion%20in%20(5.7%2C%206.1)%20ORDER%20BY%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Oh, I should pause here, and do a quick roll call. Who is @here with us today?
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I'm here
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Im here
[20:04] <mhwood> Here
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> TAMU developers are in another meeting but lurking
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Sounds good...we at least have our usual, core folks ;) And, welcome @jcreel256
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> We need 3602 on the priority list. I will bump it up
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It's on there, terry
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> :wave:
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I see it now
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, going down our priority list... we'll do a quick check in on status of each ticket...and see how we can move each forward rapidly
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> First up is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3551
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This is a fix for 5.x. It's already been merged, but has an outstanding question of whether there is anything to fix in 6.x. I'll ping Atmire on this question again
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Done. next up is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3602 / https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1766
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady : care to give an update here?
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> This has been a fun issue to work on. I think I have a solution that will work.
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I need to populate my test server with a large database and large stats repo to see if the solution performs well.
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It would be good to get feedback on the code approach.
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, is it ready for testing/review (should we remove the WIP flag)?
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I still plan to update it as I do my perf testing. What do you recommend?
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If you want some reviews, I'd at least note that in the ticket. I admit, I tend to hold off on reviews when I see WIP, as I wonder whether the code is "working" yet
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I will remove the flag and add a comment that I may be refining the code.
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady : also a very tiny, nitpicky thing... your code alignment is a bit wacky in the PR...things don't line up: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1766/files
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> e.g. even the alignment of variables is wacky: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1766/files#diff-297a82f3eca80edcbc62cf1aec023751R76
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It's very nitpicky, but it caught my eye immediately
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> It's almost like your IDE was fighting over spaces vs tabs ;)
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I will prioritize it as a nitpicky comment :slightly_smiling_face:
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> spaces vs. tabs, as if there were any doubt
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I standardized to all spaces but cloned some code with tabs. Since this is a new file, I should be able to force it all to spaces.
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> yes, it's not a high priority obviously.
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I need to figure out the optimal number of records to update in one batch: 1,000, 10,000 or 100,000
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> In any case, I agree, take off the WIP flag. I'd recommend perhaps calling out specific folks for possible review. Not sure if @kshepherd would have some time to give this a look (maybe if we're lucky)
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Done. Thanks
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll give the code a quick look too...but again, I'll admit, I'm not the Solr expert around here (so if the Solr queries are off, I may not notice that)...but can give a Java code/implementation review
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Thanks
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Moving along now...
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3599 / https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1751
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This PR has had two reviews & a test.... it was waiting on @tom_desair to enhance the unit tests a bit.
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, it's "basically ready to ship". But, I'd kinda like to see those unit tests in place now, rather than later
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll ping Tom on the PR again to see if he's gonna have time soonish
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> sorry to run, I've got a swim meet I have to run off to
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> talk to you later @hpottinger
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <hpottinger> I may be able to check back in from there, if the wifi stays up
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up in the list.. https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3552
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This one was merged already into 6.x. But, the ticket is still open as it needs cherry-picking over to "master". Also waiting on @tom_desair (or someone else) to create a new PR for "master" here
[20:20] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, this one is "nearly done" too
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up is: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579 / https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1727
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This is a bit of a larger ticket (again @tom_desair, who's been amazingly busy with 6.1)... it's not the highest priority, but would be nice to clean up/fix now
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The PR is still flagged as a WIP, but it's had a review
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (though it also has conflicts now which need cleaning)
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I wonder if I should take a lesson from this PR in the work I am doing on the stats upgrade. It does a lot of database lookups
[20:23] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady : yes, you likely should. The READ ONLY context mode is definitely more performant
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, this is a ticket that's a little "less ready" to ship. But, if worst came to worst, I suspect we could ship this in 6.2 (to ensure it's well tested and doesn't break anything)
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Nonetheless, I reminded Tom in the PR
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (That said, if anyone else cares to help push forward the effort in this PR, this seems like something someone else could claim from Tom & cleanup/test. Just a note that we don't have to be waiting on Tom for all these PRs)
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next up though, https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3572 / https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1715
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This one is a more high priority one, as the behavior is quite unexpected/wrong. The PR seems to be stumbling a bit here, as @pbecker is hitting unit test issues
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, this is one we likely could use more eyes on
[20:31] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> and (looking at my schedule), I might be able to see if I can try to dig in a bit here on Friday. But other eyes are welcome, especially if you can see why Unit Tests are failing here
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'm going to push through to the last few here...
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3447
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I am going to finish work on 3602, then I can take a look at 3572
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> 3447: I'm leaning towards rescheduling this for 6.2, as it's had no real public activity. Any objections to that?
[20:32] <mhwood> That sounds right.
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady : thanks, that'd be great! 3572 definitely seems like one we need to move forward rapidly here
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Bram has added ORCID to the agenda for the next DCAT call. I think your plan makes sense
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Done. ORCID (3447) is now moved to 6.2
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Next we have DS-3406 / https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1751
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This is one PR linked to two tickets (we mentioned this above)
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (I keep forgetting this PR solves two issues here)
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This was in the "nearly ready to ship" category
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Last in the list is DS-3517 / https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1669
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3517
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This one has had general approval from @pbecker (and I code reviewed it). I think it's nearly ready...but @pbecker had some outstanding requests.
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I'll ping Pascal on this for an update
[20:37] <mhwood> I'm not clear on what is left to do.
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> neither am I. I'll ping Pascal to re-review and/or remove his request for chanages
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so that's the full list. While the list still seems long(ish), it seems to me like most of these are "nearly ready". The group that needs more eyes/reviews includes: DS-3602, DS-3572 and possibly DS-3579 (if we don't reschedule it)
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3602
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3572
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-3579
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, if any of you have some spare time in the coming days/week, we could really use support in reviewing / testing / moving forward the tickets listed above
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Again, the goal here is to get 6.1 out ASAP, and ideally before OR2017. I'd really like to tell folks about 6.1 at OR2017, especially if folks have hit issues in the 6.0 upgrade
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> hi
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Hi there, @pbecker. You likely saw, but we pinged you on https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1669
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: pbecker hast to read the logs
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I just switched on the computer
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Regarding the 6.1 release, if you are wondering "what all is in it", I *have* already begun drafting the release notes at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.1+Status
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Those release notes are by no means complete (especially considering they don't include tickets we haven't closed yet), but they should give a sense of the large number of bug fixes we already have ready
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And @pbecker already has agreed to be Release Coordinator for 6.1 (thanks again). So, we really just need to push hard to close out these remaining tickets as soon as we can.
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: pbecker merged DSPR#1669
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @pbecker! Feel free to close the ticket too. One more down!
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’ll close it tomorrow.
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> The Release Coordinator is making things happen!
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> Just to remind me to create a ticket about what could be enhanced.
[20:47] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so we have a bit more time left today. Are there other questions here on 6.1? Anything else here that someone wants eyes/help on (or wants to make a plea to get into 6.1 still)?
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> did you already discussed the issue terry discovered yesterday?
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I’d like to have an agreement if that is a blocker or not.
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> We have talked about backports for 5x. What about 4x?
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> sorry, haven’t catch up with the logs yet.
[20:50] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Also should mention, if anyone @here wants to see any of the (still open) "quick win" PRs make it into 6.1, please give them a test/approval. We still have time to get in these small PRs, but someone needs to move them forward (and most of the Committers are now concentrating on finishing the "high priority" stuff): https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3A%22quick+win%22
[20:51] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> RE: 4.x. Just a reminder that we don't backport bug fixes (unless we make an exception and feel something is very severe). Technically, we've made some exceptions here and backported more than normal to 5.x (just cause so many folks are still on 5.x).
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This is all in our Software Support Policy: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Software+Support+Policy
[20:52] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> hi all
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> thanks for the link @tdonohue
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Hi @kshepherd , welcome. We pinged you as a possible person interested in https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1766
[20:53] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This could use more eyes from a Solr expert...and we thought of you, @kshepherd ;)
[20:54] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> sure
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And obviously, if you wanted to help out with anything else, we'd love the extra help. But, that'd probably be a good place to start if you only have limited time ;)
[20:55] <DSpaceSlackBot> Action: kshepherd might have to create some fake stats indexes, or borrow some data from somewhere
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i've been merging some postgres fixes and improvements lately, but unfortunately i done much for 6.1 specifically in the last week
[20:56] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Realizing now that we are nearing our allotted hour. Were there any more questions about 6.1? Or tickets/PRs needing more eyes? Or even offers to help?
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> general offer to help from me, feel free to request reviews on PRs or ping me for quick things that still need PRs
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> just one short question: I was cherry-picking DSPR-1669 to master.
[20:57] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> I tried to run unit tests and they failed.
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> does our unit tests work fine on master currently or are there some known problems as part of the heavy work on the new UI?
[20:58] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Unit tests should be working fine on "master". We are still looking for working unit tests before we merge anything on "master"
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> good, than I’ll keep the cherry-picking for tomorrow morning.
[20:59] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, you may want to create a PR for it and work out the issues in the PR...we can then merge it once the unit tests are fixed
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @kshepherd : regarding your offer to "help". The tickets currently needing the most "eyes" seem to be DS-3602, DS-3572 and possibly DS-3579 (if we don't reschedule it)
[21:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (and we already mentioned 3602 to you)
[21:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, so as we are at the top of the hour, I'll go ahead and close up the meeting for today. I think our goals for the next week are to cut back this list as much as possible, so that hopefully we are in a situation where we can start talking exact release dates for 6.1 *next week*
[21:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (I realize that's an ambitious goal, but I do feel we are getting close)
[21:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> We should be able to. Three important issues.
[21:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And with that, I'll leave you with the link to the "high priority" tickets left to close: https://jira.duraspace.org/issues/?jql=filter%20%3D%2013904%20and%20fixVersion%20in%20(5.7%2C%206.1)%20ORDER%20BY%20fixVersion%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC%20%20%20
[21:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> btw all, even though kompewter is not here, let's not forget the jira integration -- /jirio command -- does work. i forgot, last meeting
[21:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> etc..
[21:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Good point, @kshepherd. I forgot about it this meeting
[21:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And as a sidenote, I haven't had time to figure out what is up with kompewter....but it currently seems blocked from accessing IRC. I've tried simply restarting, but it never is able to connect.
[21:05] <mhwood> 'bye, all.
[21:05] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> (But, I've considered it not that high of priority for now...considering 6.1 is of highest priority)
[21:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> good by mhwood!
[21:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Bye all...I have to jump off to other things as well! Please do ping me (in tickets, github or Slack) if you need my help!
[21:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> can anyone please run the unit tests on master? they seems to be broken here.
[21:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> bye mhwood
[21:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <pbecker> by everyone!
[21:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> bye
[21:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> and yeah bye everyone, i've only just now realised that i stuffed my timezones up in my head, whoops. i will scroll back through past hour more thoroughly :P
[21:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @pbecker : quick note... Travis last ran master Unit Tests in the last 20 hours, and all succeeded: https://travis-ci.org/DSpace/DSpace/branches
[21:49] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.