#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2009-10-21

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[4:02] * ClaudiaJuergen (n=Miranda@ has joined #duraspace
[4:05] * DuraLogBot (n=PircBot@fedcommsrv1.nsdlib.org) has joined #duraspace
[4:05] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://duraspace.org/irclogs/'
[4:05] * Set by cwilper on Tue Jun 30 16:32:05 EDT 2009
[4:06] [freenode-connect VERSION]
[5:19] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[5:28] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[7:13] * grahamtriggs (n=trig01@ has joined #duraspace
[7:33] * awoods (n=awoods@pool-71-191-160-241.washdc.fios.verizon.net) has joined #duraspace
[8:13] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[8:15] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[8:25] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[9:03] * justben (n=ben@hypatia.library.emory.edu) has joined #duraspace
[9:24] * ksclarke (n=kevin@ip-152010148147.library.appstate.edu) has joined #duraspace
[11:28] * ClaudiaJuergen (n=Miranda@ Quit ("Miranda IM! Smaller, Faster, Easier. http://miranda-im.org")
[11:54] * lcs (n=chatzill@pool-72-93-191-180.bstnma.east.verizon.net) has joined #duraspace
[12:15] <lcs> so the google calendar said there's a committer meeting now (12pm EDT, 14:00 GMT), but did they all get moved to 20:00?
[12:15] <grahamtriggs> hi larry, yes. We're doing the later meetings only
[12:16] <bradmc> Yes, just caught that, I'll fix the calendars later today.
[12:16] <lcs> thanks.. see you later, then!
[12:16] * lcs (n=chatzill@pool-72-93-191-180.bstnma.east.verizon.net) Quit ("ChatZilla 0.9.85 [Firefox 3.0.14/2009082706]")
[12:55] * grahamtriggs (n=trig01@ has left #duraspace
[15:46] * lcs (n=lcs@serenity.hul.harvard.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:50] * grahamtriggs (n=grahamtr@id007e.wkap.nl) has joined #duraspace
[15:58] * jat_ysu (n=jeffreyt@ has joined #duraspace
[15:58] <bradmc> Crazy day for me, haven't had time to prepare the jira review.
[16:01] * rrodgers (n=rrodgers@pool-173-76-16-252.bstnma.fios.verizon.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:04] <rrodgers> welcome back from DSUG - commiter mtg today?
[16:04] <stuartlewis> Yes
[16:04] <grahamtriggs> Although there seems to be less beer involved this week :(
[16:04] <rrodgers> k, it seemed a little quiet...
[16:04] * kshepherd will brb
[16:05] <bradmc> Hi folks, we'll get started soon. Topics?
[16:05] <mhwood> Should I holler louder?
[16:05] <mhwood> That's not a topic. :-)
[16:05] <stuartlewis> Topic: Release timetable and plan for 1.6
[16:06] <stuartlewis> Topic: Identifying outstanding issues for 1.6
[16:06] <lcs> I've got a few jira issues for 1.6
[16:06] <grahamtriggs> mhwood: +1
[16:06] <bradmc> I'm sensing a trend here. Shall we devote this session to a discussion of 1.6?
[16:07] <rrodgers> why not?
[16:07] <stuartlewis> That might be good
[16:07] <mhwood> We can open it up later if there is time.
[16:08] <rrodgers> stuartlewis: how was 1.6 received at DSUG?
[16:08] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[16:08] <stuartlewis> rrodgers: Good (I think!)
[16:08] <stuartlewis> It is often hard to get good feedback.
[16:09] <stuartlewis> Are there any JIRA power-users around? Is it possible to get a report of all issues that are open and tagged to be fixed in 1.6?
[16:09] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[16:09] <grahamtriggs> gimme 2 secs
[16:09] <bradmc> Okay, shall we start at pulling out any Jira issues for 1.6 discussion (in lieu of the usual review), then identify outstanding issues, and wrap with the release timetable?
[16:09] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/secure/BrowseVersion.jspa?id=10020&versionId=10020&showOpenIssuesOnly=true
[16:09] <grahamtriggs> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=10020&fixfor=10020
[16:10] * bradmc chuckles at the synchonicity.
[16:10] <stuartlewis> The lsit I posted is open issues tagged for 1.6
[16:10] <stuartlewis> Should we run through that list quickly, and make sure they are either assigned, or tagged for post 1.6?
[16:11] <stuartlewis> Then we can each, based on the issued assigned to us, give a timeframe for completion.
[16:11] <bradmc> Sounds good; Stuart, I'm multitasking, can you drive?
[16:11] <rrodgers> My stuff has been reassigned to jat_ysu for doc love (324, 317)
[16:12] <stuartlewis> 161 too
[16:12] <jat_ysu> And I'm loveing right now.
[16:12] <jat_ysu> lol
[16:12] <stuartlewis> OK - DS-339
[16:12] <jat_ysu> I've got all the documentation listed ones in front of me right now.
[16:12] <stuartlewis> Assigned to Mark http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-339
[16:12] <stuartlewis> DS-340 needs an owner
[16:12] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-340
[16:12] <jat_ysu> Question ?
[16:13] <stuartlewis> jat_ysu: ?
[16:13] <jat_ysu> If they are at the documentation state, once I'm done, shall I close the ticket as completed/resolved or what next do you all wish?
[16:13] <stuartlewis> Mark as resolved (we then close them formally once the release is out)
[16:13] <bradmc> stuartlewis: +1
[16:13] <rrodgers> Sure - easy to reopen if needed
[16:14] <jat_ysu> Fine.. I will do...hopefully by Sunday all of the documentation will be resolved.
[16:14] <stuartlewis> OK - take a look at this one: http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-257 Thoughts?
[16:14] <stuartlewis> jat_ysu: Excellent - thanks :)
[16:14] <grahamtriggs> jat_ysu: great. now we just need to make the code match it :)
[16:14] <jat_ysu> LOL
[16:15] <jat_ysu> yes, matching the code to MY documentation would be brilliant IMHO
[16:15] <stuartlewis> My only worry with 257 is it could break people's existing importer code.
[16:15] <rrodgers> Looks like an optimization, rather than a bug?
[16:15] <stuartlewis> But would seem a good change to make in the longterm.
[16:15] <jat_ysu> would this replace the existing import?
[16:16] <stuartlewis> It doesn't replace it per se, it just changes the format of the metadata file to include the schema, and changes the name from dublincore.xml to metadata.xml
[16:16] <rrodgers> stuartlewis: +1 should be backward compatible
[16:16] <mhwood> Well, it breaks my lovely scripts then, but not badly.
[16:17] <jat_ysu> +1 agrees with rrogders. Many of us have MARC21 to DSpace dublin Core conversion programs that would have to be re-written
[16:17] <stuartlewis> mhwood: So as a user, how does that make you feel? Upset and grumpy, or not so bad as you can see it is the right thing to do?
[16:17] <grahamtriggs> am I alone in thinking that having metadata files for each schema is a good thing? (noting that the current import/export doesn't necessarily deal with it correctly)
[16:17] * awoods (n=awoods@pool-71-191-160-241.washdc.fios.verizon.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[16:17] <stuartlewis> How does it work now for other schemas?
[16:18] <kshepherd> i use seperate files for our custom schemas when doing imports (eg. metadata_uow.xml, metadata_aut.xml)
[16:18] <mhwood> A bit grumpy, actually, since there's been no discussion other than a couple of JIRA notes.
[16:18] <grahamtriggs> I'm not convinced it does, hence my point :)
[16:18] <jat_ysu> grahamtriggs: yes...but one step further...perhaps the code can fork based on the xml anme?
[16:18] <kshepherd> works fine for me..
[16:18] <jat_ysu> name.
[16:19] <stuartlewis> OK - unless anyone objects, I'll assign it to me, have a thnk about it, and come up with a backwards compatible proposal
[16:19] <rrodgers> +1
[16:19] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-354
[16:19] <mhwood> Thank you. I wouldn't like to say "no" but seems a bit abrupt without backward compatibility.
[16:19] <stuartlewis> Are we happy to remove the script?
[16:20] <jat_ysu> Has anyone else tested this?
[16:20] <stuartlewis> We could add the equivalent command to launcher.xml so that you don't need to run dsrun net.handle.server.SimpleSetup etc
[16:20] <grahamtriggs> aren't we removing all scripts anyway (apart from one)
[16:20] <stuartlewis> IIRC is it a perl script?
[16:21] * stuartlewis fires up IDEA to take a look....
[16:21] <rrodgers> grahamtriggs: don't think so just adding alternate invocation route
[16:21] <lcs> nope, it's /bin/sh
[16:21] <stuartlewis> It is a shell script (makes use of sed and awk
[16:22] <stuartlewis> Anyone have a problem with us removing the script, and making sure the documentation is good?
[16:22] <jat_ysu> Since this is only run really once for an install, it can be a stand alone directive in the installation instructions....
[16:23] <stuartlewis> No objections?
[16:23] <grahamtriggs> I say kill it
[16:23] <stuartlewis> 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1..
[16:23] <jat_ysu> dead
[16:23] <stuartlewis> OK - yat_jsu: Go for it :)
[16:23] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-246 - any volunteers
[16:24] <stuartlewis> XMLUI - DSpaceAbstractTransformer URLDecode '%' escaper is too greedy
[16:24] <rrodgers> has fix been tested?
[16:24] <kshepherd> yes, but only fixes half the problem
[16:25] <grahamtriggs> what's the other half?
[16:25] <stuartlewis> Is half better than no fix?
[16:25] <kshepherd> flavio's fix was a different approach to mine, i was waiting for a reply from him
[16:25] * jat_ysu (n=jeffreyt@ Quit ("Leaving")
[16:26] <stuartlewis> kshepherd: Have you got the time for this to be assigned to you? Don't worry if not.
[16:26] <rrodgers> kshepherd: is yours a whole fix?
[16:26] <kshepherd> grahamtriggs: the other browse controls are still double-encoding
[16:27] <kshepherd> rrodgers: my 'whole fix' breaks the initial issue Tim fixed in DS-149
[16:27] <stuartlewis> How about we commit the half-fix, and open a new issue for the browse issues?
[16:27] <kshepherd> flavio seemed to be on the right track but i got confused following it, i'd rather wait for his reply
[16:27] <kshepherd> but yeah, comitting the patch as is should work ok
[16:28] <stuartlewis> OK - do you want to commit it, and ping Flavio for an update?
[16:28] <kshepherd> ok
[16:29] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-287
[16:29] <stuartlewis> Anyone got time to look at it? Not amazingly urgent.
[16:29] <stuartlewis> Allow item exporter -m (migrate) option to be configurable
[16:30] <rrodgers> I do have a fix for the existing sed script to check in..
[16:31] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-304
[16:31] <stuartlewis> XMLUI's METS generator ignores authorization
[16:31] <kshepherd> that's not getting fixed, we decided that last time
[16:31] <kshepherd> iirc
[16:31] <stuartlewis> Leave for 1.6?
[16:32] <kshepherd> i put it on low priority, may as well get closed
[16:32] <stuartlewis> Ok - have updated the issue for an unknown fix release
[16:32] <stuartlewis> OK - so that is all issues tagged as 'to be fixed in 1.6'
[16:33] <stuartlewis> Any other issues we want to include?
[16:33] <lcs> there's ds-217, fixing license text
[16:33] <stuartlewis> (All outstanding issues at http://jira.dspace.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=10020&resolution=-1&sorter/field=updated&sorter/order=DESC)
[16:34] <stuartlewis> lcs: Shall I mark that for fixing in 1.6?
[16:34] <lcs> stuartlewis: there's a solution that seems ready to checkin, though it's up to andrea
[16:34] <stuartlewis> OK - I'll mark for 1.6, we can revoke that later if needs be.
[16:35] <stuartlewis> The only other big thing is stats - xmlui tidying up, and jspui needs implementing. Any volunteers to help Mark Diggory with that?
[16:36] <stuartlewis> Stats might be the blocker to getting 1.6 out sooner rather than later.
[16:37] <stuartlewis> It is a shame Mark isn't here - I think we need to know timescales for stats before we can propose a 1.6 release timetable.
[16:37] <mhwood> I'm still not sure how it all fits together. Was hoping for some rough documentation.
[16:37] <bradmc> Any @mire people today, Ben Bosman for example? We might want to check in on DS-277 and making sure DRIVER will work.
[16:38] <stuartlewis> mhwood: http://mdiggory.blogspot.com/2009/10/presentation-backporting-dspace.html might help a little
[16:38] <grahamtriggs> I was hoping for our YourKit profile license to be updated to test it's behaviour - still waiting on Michele to get the YourKit logo back on to dspace.org....
[16:39] <rrodgers> grahamtriggs: has our license expired?
[16:39] <grahamtriggs> yes... just before DSUG. I emailed them, but they won't reissue without the logo / testimonial
[16:40] <grahamtriggs> bradmc: looks like they aren't. no sign on any comms system
[16:40] <stuartlewis> I'll try and get Mark to give us a stats timeframe by next week's meeting. Perhaps next week can can come up with a timetable to release.
[16:41] <stuartlewis> Anyone fancy running a test server for 1.6?
[16:41] <stuartlewis> At present http://testathon.net/ is running on a rackspace cloud server which I'm paying for.
[16:42] <grahamtriggs> how much is the rackspace bill?
[16:42] <rrodgers> we might ask Gabriela
[16:42] <stuartlewis> About $100 per month for a 2GB machine
[16:42] <rrodgers> who has done it for past releases
[16:42] <stuartlewis> grahamtriggs: Michael said OPenRepository might be happy to run it? (With your logo on the bottom in return)
[16:43] <grahamtriggs> I might be able to get OR to sponsor it - we don't have the hardware for actual hosting
[16:43] <stuartlewis> OK - we can take that offline to discuss.
[16:43] <stuartlewis> Any other business for 1.6?
[16:44] <lcs> i'd like to lump in DS-349, Edit Item in admin UI does not allow setting Bitstream to an Internal BitstreamFormat
[16:44] <lcs> essentially, it lets Administrator users see the License format
[16:44] <rrodgers> I hope to have a non-intrusive Google SEO patch
[16:45] <stuartlewis> OK - are we all happy that 'feature freeze' is slightly flexible, to allow this sort of last minute entry for the next week or so, before we enter testing?
[16:46] <lcs> stuartlewis: +1
[16:46] <rrodgers> doesn't that depend on stats?
[16:46] <stuartlewis> rrodgers: Yes - I'd personally be happy for small changes like this to keep occuring until stats is ready, and we can move to a testing phase.
[16:47] <grahamtriggs> flexible feature freeze - that would be up to the release co-ordinator :)
[16:47] <bradmc> Is there a hard cut-off date when we stop sliding? (Holidays are coming)
[16:47] <mhwood> The Linux kernel folk call it a "slush".
[16:47] <stuartlewis> feature-freeze-except-bug-fixes-and-patches-pre-approved-at-the-weekly-dev-meeting ?
[16:47] <bradmc> +1
[16:48] <rrodgers> +1
[16:48] <grahamtriggs> bradmc: depends on what the holiday weather is like!! (sorry, too easy)
[16:48] <mhwood> +1
[16:48] <stuartlewis> Summer-is-a-coming (for some of us anyway! :) )
[16:48] <lcs> +1
[16:48] <stuartlewis> I'll talk to Mark, and try to pin him down for a stats delivery date.
[16:48] <lcs> re features, I also posted a couple of small changes (DS-346, 350) that make it easier to add custom data types to input forms, but haven't seen any response to it. Anyone else find it worthy?
[16:49] <rrodgers> haven't looked at it yet
[16:50] <stuartlewis> 346 looks fine - presumably it won't change how it works now, just adds the option to subclass?
[16:50] <lcs> right, it's pretty much invisible. Would need documentation to be of use, though.
[16:51] <stuartlewis> 350 - Would there be code available in the next 2 weeks?
[16:51] <lcs> Sure, I was holding off on response before writing it up as plugins.
[16:52] <lcs> So I'm not the only one adding custom data types :-)
[16:52] <stuartlewis> It sounds a good idea to me. Just worrying if it one-change-too-many for 1.6? 1.6 is getting quite big now.
[16:53] <stuartlewis> Does it require db changes? If not, could go in a 1.6.1
[16:54] <lcs> It doesn't change the DB, it's really just an API addition to provide a customization hook. So it could get punted to 1.6.1
[16:55] <stuartlewis> Shall we punt it then? Concentrate efforts on 1.6?
[16:55] <stuartlewis> OK - so I think that is it for 1.6 discussion now. Any other topics?
[16:56] <lcs> +1, and might as well punt DS-346 too
[16:56] <stuartlewis> ok
[16:57] <stuartlewis> Any other topics, or meeting over?
[16:57] <stuartlewis> OK - meeting over. Thanks all.
[16:57] <kshepherd> well, i've got another meeting now anyway, so i'm off
[16:57] <stuartlewis> Same time next week?
[16:58] <bradmc> Yes, same time next week.
[16:58] <bradmc> Thanks for driving, Stuart.
[16:58] <rrodgers> thanks all
[16:58] <mhwood> 'bye all, and thanks!
[16:58] <stuartlewis> Bye & thanks.
[16:58] <lcs> thanks!
[16:58] * rrodgers (n=rrodgers@pool-173-76-16-252.bstnma.fios.verizon.net) Quit ()
[16:58] * stuartlewis wonders off to another meeting...
[16:59] * bradmc wonders during most meetings, and wanders in between.
[16:59] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[17:02] * lcs (n=lcs@serenity.hul.harvard.edu) has left #duraspace
[17:21] * ksclarke (n=kevin@ip-152010148147.library.appstate.edu) Quit ("Leaving.")
[17:54] * grahamtriggs_ (n=grahamtr@cpc3-stev1-0-0-cust857.lutn.cable.ntl.com) has joined #duraspace
[17:54] * grahamtriggs_ (n=grahamtr@cpc3-stev1-0-0-cust857.lutn.cable.ntl.com) Quit (Remote closed the connection)
[18:03] * grahamtriggs (n=grahamtr@id007e.wkap.nl) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[18:04] <stuartlewis> bradmc: Yeah, I didn't actually go to the meeting, just wondered what it would have been like it I had of done so! :)
[21:20] * ksclarke (n=kevin@adsl-227-134-119.clt.bellsouth.net) has joined #duraspace
[21:21] * ksclarke (n=kevin@adsl-227-134-119.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Client Quit)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.