#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2009-11-11

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[4:08] * DuraLogBot (n=PircBot@fedcommsrv1.nsdlib.org) has joined #duraspace
[4:08] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://duraspace.org/irclogs/'
[4:08] * Set by cwilper on Tue Jun 30 16:32:05 EDT 2009
[4:08] [freenode-connect VERSION]
[8:15] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[8:50] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[9:15] * bradmc (n=bradmc@ has joined #duraspace
[9:19] * justben (n=ben@hypatia.library.emory.edu) has joined #duraspace
[9:37] * ksclarke (n=kevin@ip-152010148147.library.appstate.edu) has joined #duraspace
[10:07] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer))
[10:12] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[10:19] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[10:20] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[10:47] * bradmc (n=bradmc@ Quit ()
[10:56] * bradmc (n=bradmc@ has joined #duraspace
[10:56] * bradmc (n=bradmc@ Quit (Client Quit)
[14:08] * justben (n=ben@hypatia.library.emory.edu) Quit (leguin.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[14:08] * Dan_Davis (i=43f11873@gateway/web/freenode/x-rrsksdwusnwmngqi) Quit (leguin.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[14:08] * kshepherd (i=kim@ec2-174-129-179-33.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (leguin.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[14:08] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (leguin.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[14:08] * krnl__ (i=krnl_@ Quit (leguin.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[14:08] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) Quit (leguin.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[14:08] * stuartlewis (n=stuartle@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (leguin.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[14:08] * tjohnson (n=chatzill@ Quit (leguin.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[14:41] * greg-g (i=greg@ubuntu/member/greg-g) Quit ("Reconnecting")
[14:46] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[14:47] * tjohnson (n=chatzill@ has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * greg-g (i=greg@ubuntu/member/greg-g) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * ysu_jat (n=jeffreyt@pool-70-17-173-55.pitt.east.verizon.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * cbeer (n=cbeer@ has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * justben (n=ben@hypatia.library.emory.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * Dan_Davis (i=43f11873@gateway/web/freenode/x-rrsksdwusnwmngqi) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * stuartlewis (n=stuartle@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * krnl__ (i=krnl_@ has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * kshepherd (i=kim@ec2-174-129-179-33.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[14:54] * kshepherd (i=kim@ec2-174-129-179-33.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (leguin.freenode.net irc.freenode.net)
[14:54] * kshepher1 (i=kim@ec2-174-129-179-33.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[14:54] * kshepher1 is now known as kshepherd
[14:56] <tdonohue> Hi all. We have a DSpace Developers meeting coming up in about 5 mins. bradmc is out of town at DLF, so I'll be heading things today. Any topics for today?
[14:56] <stuartlewis> Is markdiggory still @ DLF too?
[14:56] <stuartlewis> Cutting a 1.6 testathon release is now just dependent on stats.
[14:57] <tdonohue> yes, i think markdiggory is also at DLF...it just started today
[14:58] <tdonohue> yea, talking about stats could be tough without markdiggory :)
[14:58] <stuartlewis> Aye :(
[14:58] <ysu_jat> And DLF is in LA...warm weather...nice beaches.
[14:58] <stuartlewis> Kim and I have a topic - a CSS hack for download icons to be included by default in 1.6
[14:59] <stuartlewis> Are we going to have a 15min JIRA clean?
[14:59] <tdonohue> i was just going to suggest a jira clean as well :)
[14:59] <tdonohue> I'd also like to talk briefly about the idea of holding "Special Topic" meetings (came up after the meeting last weds): http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Special_Topics
[14:59] <tdonohue> we can start with Jira though.
[15:02] <tdonohue> stuartlewis: would you be willing to post Jira issues, and I can summarize after voting? let me load things up here and we can get started in about a minute or so
[15:02] <stuartlewis> OK.
[15:02] * grahamtriggs (n=grahamtr@cpc3-stev1-0-0-cust857.lutn.cable.ntl.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:02] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC
[15:02] <stuartlewis> Looking up where we got to last time...
[15:03] <tdonohue> it's here, actually: http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Developer_Meetings#Last_Issue_Reviewed
[15:03] <tdonohue> I've been doing some wiki cleaning this week, and added an easy reference :)
[15:03] <tdonohue> are we all about ready to get started with a Jira Review?
[15:03] <stuartlewis> OK: URL of list is http://jira.dspace.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10020&resolution=-1&created%3Aprevious=-4w&status=1&assigneeSelect=unassigned&sorter/field=created&sorter/order=ASC
[15:04] <stuartlewis> Starting with http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-355 Metadata label is not displayed in user's selected language
[15:04] <tdonohue> yep, that looks correct.
[15:04] <stuartlewis> 0
[15:05] <stuartlewis> Happy for us to assign it to you Tim?
[15:05] <stuartlewis> (or were you refering to the list looking correct?)
[15:05] <tdonohue> i meant, DS-355 is the first one
[15:06] <tdonohue> DS-355: 0 (is my vote)
[15:06] <stuartlewis> Ah right :)
[15:06] * miami (i=863519db@gateway/web/freenode/x-unvwbjguckgkxxzj) has joined #duraspace
[15:06] <stuartlewis> This just needs someone to test. Shall I ask Claudia to take a look next week
[15:06] <mhwood> 0
[15:07] <tdonohue> DS-355: 0 - have claudia look at
[15:07] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-357 Handleplugin.java is not able to handle non-numeric handles
[15:07] <stuartlewis> ysu_jat: Do you have any additional info that could be added to the issue, such as stack traces?
[15:08] <ysu_jat> No..it was not traceable--I looked at tons of stack traces.
[15:08] <tdonohue> 0 - may need some further testing?
[15:08] <ysu_jat> It was Jane Euler at CNRI who remembered this was a problem for DSpace. It seems that CAPITAL (UPPERCASE) letters worked. ANd I've seen them work on live DSpace installations.
[15:09] <ysu_jat> We requested a second handle of 1989.eres and found it didn't work.
[15:09] <ysu_jat> Looked at tons of logs, nothing.
[15:09] <tdonohue> ok, that's over a minute. additional minute of discussion
[15:09] <ysu_jat> Did see the java handler code in dspace make mention of the problem.
[15:09] <stuartlewis> OK - 0: leave open for post 1.6?
[15:09] <tdonohue> this sounds like something we should fix.
[15:09] <ysu_jat> That's find with me
[15:09] <tdonohue> yea, after 1.6
[15:10] <mhwood> +1 post 1.6
[15:10] <tdonohue> DS-357: 1, post 1.6
[15:10] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-358 Discuss implications of HTML5 for DSpace
[15:10] <stuartlewis> Unfortunately despite opening this, al discussion has occurred on the DSpace lists :(
[15:11] <tdonohue> 0 - I'd suggest adding this topic for a "Special Topic" meeting (which we will discuss later)
[15:11] <stuartlewis> I'll try to find 5 mins to copy the emails into JIRA
[15:11] * cbeer (n=cbeer@ has left #duraspace
[15:11] <mhwood> 0
[15:11] <kshepherd> 0
[15:11] <ysu_jat> 0
[15:11] <tdonohue> DS-358 summary: 0, stuart will copy in related emails...schedule for special topic meeting?
[15:12] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-362 Alphabetization broken in author browse; disregards spaces?
[15:12] <stuartlewis> Close: not an issue in an out-the-box 1.6. Not sure of the cause though, maybe db collation like Claudia says?
[15:12] <tdonohue> close seems right...if others have same issue, or we can get more info, we can reopen later
[15:12] <ysu_jat> could it be manakin related and not jspui?
[15:13] <kshepherd> 0, haven't tested
[15:13] <mhwood> 0
[15:13] <stuartlewis> AFAIK they use the same browse code, so UI-independant
[15:13] <stuartlewis> Test here: http://testathon.net/xmlui/handle/123456789/65/browse?type=author&submit_browse=Author
[15:13] <stuartlewis> (using same data)
[15:13] <tdonohue> I wonder if it could be a setting in config. browse?
[15:14] <ysu_jat> Yeah, I think a recheck of that and a new index-init would be warranted before accusing the browse to be broken.
[15:14] <tdonohue> or maybe not. I can followup with Dorothea on this one to see if she's found a solution, or reindexed it
[15:15] <tdonohue> DS-362 - 0 : leave open for now...Tim will followup with Dorothea
[15:15] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-365 New DSpace OAI-PMH Harvester doesn't support OAI gateways that do not use "sets"
[15:15] <stuartlewis> +1 - any volunteers? Suspect it is a pretty small patch.
[15:15] <kshepherd> yep i told mark i'd do that one
[15:15] <mhwood> +1
[15:16] <kshepherd> just couldn't find the patch i already made when i was tseting it months ago
[15:16] <kshepherd> +1, kim will fix
[15:16] <tdonohue> DS-365: +2 - assign to kshepherd
[15:16] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-366
[15:16] <stuartlewis> ora-00942 when running ant fresh install and no metadata saved when submitting a naew item
[15:17] <stuartlewis> There was some extra info sent about this to dspace-tech IIRC
[15:17] <stuartlewis> Need to paste that into the issue.
[15:17] <stuartlewis> Any Oracle users here who could test a fresh install for us?
[15:17] <kshepherd> 0, i can't test
[15:18] <tdonohue> 0, i can't test either, no oracle
[15:18] <mhwood> 0 no Oracle here either
[15:18] <stuartlewis> Could ask Larry to test? IIRC he uses Oracle
[15:18] <tdonohue> DS-366: 0 - need to find an Oracle user to test. Maybe assign to Larry?
[15:19] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-367 processing of Authentication methods is independent of the chosen Login method (when multiple are available)
[15:19] <stuartlewis> +1, leave until 1.7 (or whatever follows 1.6)
[15:19] <tdonohue> +1 - after 1.6
[15:19] <mhwood> +1
[15:19] <kshepherd> +1, comments make sense
[15:20] <tdonohue> DS-367: +4, mark for after 1.6 release
[15:20] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-368 Create a java replacement for make-handle-config
[15:20] <stuartlewis> This was opened after last week's JIRA meeting.
[15:20] <stuartlewis> +1, post 1.6 unless we have a volunteer?
[15:20] <tdonohue> +1 post 1.6
[15:21] <mhwood> +1
[15:21] <kshepherd> +1 post 1.6 pending volunteer
[15:21] <tdonohue> (didn't larry say he'd look into this last week?)
[15:21] <tdonohue> DS-368: +4, waiting for volunteer (Larry?), likely post 1.6
[15:22] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-371 Maven package should be improved
[15:22] <stuartlewis> -1 "won't fix" although I sometimes share the frustration
[15:22] <mhwood> -1 no clear alternative
[15:22] <tdonohue> agreed, -1 won't fix - maybe better "best practices" could be of help?
[15:22] <kshepherd> -1 won't fix, no alternatives suggested
[15:23] <tdonohue> DS-371: -4, mark won't fix
[15:23] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-374 RSS/Atom feeds return too few Items when restricted items are excluded
[15:23] <stuartlewis> +1, unless a volunteer, 1.6.1
[15:23] <mhwood> +1
[15:23] <tdonohue> +1
[15:24] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[15:24] <kshepherd> +1, looks like an easy fix
[15:24] <tdonohue> DS-374: +4 - needs a volunteer
[15:24] <stuartlewis> Yeah - I rememebr fixing it for OAI-PMH as it broke the calculation of resumption tokens
[15:24] <stuartlewis> Last one...
[15:24] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-375 [Dspace 1.5.2] Russian translation
[15:24] <stuartlewis> +1 leave open for response from submitter
[15:24] <tdonohue> +1 - looks like claudia is already handling this
[15:25] <mhwood> +1 if missing messages addressed
[15:25] <tdonohue> DS-375: +3, assign to claudia, waiting for response
[15:25] <tdonohue> wow...that's it. we're caught up!
[15:25] <mdiggory> Hello, Live from DLF... anyone interested in talking about "Innovation!"
[15:26] <stuartlewis> Excellent :)
[15:26] * mdiggory ducks
[15:26] <tdonohue> and, I noticed mdiggory joined us
[15:26] <kshepherd> sorry, on a conference call, might be slow to respond
[15:26] <stuartlewis> mdiggory: Got 5 mins for a stats update?
[15:26] <mdiggory> It'd take about 1 minute....
[15:26] <tdonohue> 1 minute...go!
[15:26] <mdiggory> Answer... Mark needs to get busy still on doing the things he talked about last week
[15:27] [freenode-connect VERSION]
[15:27] <mdiggory> got a patch to commit and CLI services to debug...
[15:27] <stuartlewis> Timescale?
[15:27] <mdiggory> now that its back on my radar... I'll push those in when the meeting get boring...
[15:28] <stuartlewis> And do you feel we could go to testathon without stats 100% finished?
[15:29] <mdiggory> stuartlewis: if your updates on log trolling and kshepherds JSPUI antics are getting in there...
[15:29] <kshepherd> won't be long for jspui now
[15:29] * lcs (n=chatzill@pool-72-93-191-180.bstnma.east.verizon.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:29] <mdiggory> yes, we ned tog et busy on testathon... what is the timeframe for running a testaton... how long... how many cycles prior to release?
[15:30] <stuartlewis> (kshepherd has the mechanics working, and a demo which sits on the same page as the item, but needs to move it to a separate page to copy the xmlui)
[15:30] <mdiggory> sorry, need to read before hitting return
[15:30] <stuartlewis> 1 or 2 cycles - depends what the first turns up.
[15:30] <stuartlewis> I'd *really* like to launch before Christmas if possible.
[15:31] <stuartlewis> Maybe first testathon last whol week of November? 11 days away - 23rd-->27th
[15:31] <tdonohue> stuartlewis: +1 .... though, I also think stats should be in *some* sort of test cycle :)
[15:31] <mdiggory> stuartlewis: running a testathon implies running the release process... which will include either my pushing artifacts to the maven repo... or my getting Alex to setup the appropriate account for you to do so....
[15:31] <stuartlewis> Is 11 days enough to get stats 95% finished?
[15:32] <tdonohue> stuartlewis: that's thanksgiving for those in the USA...may not get as many folks
[15:32] <kshepherd> lcs: none of us use Oracle, are you able to test http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-366?
[15:32] <stuartlewis> OK - thats good to know.
[15:33] * miami (i=863519db@gateway/web/freenode/x-unvwbjguckgkxxzj) Quit ("Page closed")
[15:33] <stuartlewis> I'm away a lot of December (summer hols here)
[15:33] <mdiggory> stuartlewis: I'll add in that we are about to take over root control of the svn repo server.... and that I plan migrating all the DSpace maven repo there... that implies user accounts being managed there instead, which might be easier...
[15:33] -christel- [Global Notice] Hi all, due to the memleak issues we are experiencing with hyperion (our ircd) we will be taking a handful of servers out of rotation for the production network in order to utilise them to better test our new ircd; ircd-seven. Affected users will be notified seperately. Apologies for the inconvenience.
[15:33] <stuartlewis> Now would be a good time to ask for a volunteer for backup release co-ordinator which we traditionally have :)
[15:34] * tdonohue (crickets)
[15:34] <lcs> kshepherd: I will take a look at ds-366, at least try it for 1.6. i can only test macos or linux for host OS, but that shouldn't matter.
[15:35] <mhwood> So what, specifically, does a release coordinator do?
[15:35] <stuartlewis> Any volunteers? (as I'll be away for half of December which will be a busy period for 1.6)
[15:35] <stuartlewis> mhwood: You make it up as you go along (at least that's what I've been doing!)
[15:36] <stuartlewis> Mainly co-ordination
[15:36] <tdonohue> there's old docs at: http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/ReleaseCoordinating (may be out of date though)
[15:36] <stuartlewis> But when it comes to cutting the actual releases, we'll be relying on lots of help from markdiggory
[15:37] <mdiggory> ok, sorry... its going on lunch break here
[15:37] <stuartlewis> http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/ReleaseProcedure looks useful too :)
[15:37] <tdonohue> yea, actually that looks more up to date
[15:37] <mdiggory> we do need to make what stuartlewis just said a non-issue
[15:38] <mdiggory> its not "that big" a process to do the maven portions of the release... and some of you should get more used to doing it
[15:38] <stuartlewis> So, any volunteers? Timewise, it just takes up as much or as little time as you want to dedicate to it.
[15:38] <tdonohue> mhwood: are you interested and/or would you have the time?
[15:38] <mhwood> Hmmm, reference to SourceForge....
[15:39] <tdonohue> yea, the wiki needs some *major* cleaning in these areas...
[15:39] <mdiggory> the bottleneck at the moment is the user account access to write to the maven repo... not the release process not being documented...
[15:39] <mdiggory> going to get link....
[15:40] <mdiggory> http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/ReleaseProcedure
[15:41] <mdiggory> and any time there are hickups or need to further detailing, we should be added to this page.
[15:42] <tdonohue> well, if no one else wants to volunteer, I could probably chip in some time. I'll be out for at least 1 week in mid Dec though (week of Dec 14), so I may not be much better than stuartlewis :)
[15:42] <stuartlewis> Thanks Tim :)
[15:42] <mhwood> I'm usually out the last half of December (but not cut off from the 'net).
[15:43] * tdonohue notes we are coming up on quarter till
[15:43] <ysu_jat> Doesn't anyone work in December?!
[15:43] <mdiggory> I will be available and can assist when needed... I may volunteer for a future RM role on one of the next releases... but this one, I think its healthier for another to pick up the process and try itout
[15:43] <stuartlewis> Kim and I have a proposal.
[15:43] <stuartlewis> We want to make 1.6 look slightly different (so users know they have updated)
[15:44] <stuartlewis> And one easy way of doing this, and making a lot of people happy, is to enable icons for filetypes.
[15:44] * mdiggory stomach is grumbling...
[15:44] <stuartlewis> Kim has a nice way of doing this via rules in CSS.
[15:44] <stuartlewis> Anyone have any thoughts on this?
[15:44] <ysu_jat> +10000
[15:44] <mhwood> Sounds interesting.
[15:44] <ysu_jat> Excellent idea.
[15:44] <stuartlewis> This is something lots of people have done already.
[15:44] <tdonohue> +1 - do we have icons we can distribute legally?
[15:44] <lcs> How would it play with the customizations most sites do to the UI(s)?
[15:45] <stuartlewis> But by doing it in CSS, it requires *no* code changes, so is easy for people to turn off.
[15:45] <ysu_jat> Icons should be easily available without any copyright issues.
[15:45] <mdiggory> look slightly diffferent? How about a better reference theme for XMLUI... or maybe a page in JSPUI/XMLUI to contain release details and other types of interesting links to interact with the community?
[15:45] <lcs> +1 on the concept - see dash.harvard.edu for my version of it, for that matter
[15:46] <tdonohue> it's like that's a resounding "yes" all around
[15:46] <stuartlewis> mdiggory: All good ideas, but we're hitting time problems now
[15:46] * mhwood has been meaning to figure out how to burn the version into the .wars automagically so it can be exposed in the UIs....
[15:46] <kshepherd> this would just be a change to teh stock css with the themes
[15:46] <tdonohue> mdiggory: i agree as well..but, better left for after 1.6
[15:46] <lcs> it would be very useful to have a META tag in the generated HTML identifying the DSpace version. I've done that for our local CVS release tags.
[15:47] <stuartlewis> CSS looks something like:
[15:47] <kshepherd> mdiggory: i also found a few typos and missing lines from the Classic theme CSS which should help a few things :)
[15:47] <stuartlewis> a[href*=".pdf?sequence"] {
[15:47] <stuartlewis> background: url(http://www.otago.ac.nz/gfx/icons/pdf.gif) no-repeat top left; padding: 0.2em 0 0.2em 2.0em;
[15:47] <stuartlewis> }
[15:47] <mdiggory> lcs +!
[15:47] <kshepherd> table widths, ul/li icons, etc..
[15:47] <kshepherd> lcs: very good idea, +99
[15:47] <lcs> updating the look is a great too, but there are many times I look at another site's DSpace and wonder what version is behind it.
[15:48] <stuartlewis> Ok - so two proposals here.
[15:48] <tdonohue> lcs: +1 as well
[15:48] <stuartlewis> 1) Meta head tag for version
[15:48] <stuartlewis> 2) CSS hack for icons
[15:48] <stuartlewis> Should we vote?
[15:48] <kshepherd> 3) typo/misc fixes to classic theme (xmlui) css
[15:48] <stuartlewis> My only worry for version is if vulnerabilities are defined, it allows you to find the ones with the holes.
[15:48] <mdiggory> maybe something like that would allow us to also use something like google indexing to detect existing dspace instances in the wild...
[15:49] <kshepherd> stuartlewis: malicious users/bots just "try" exloits on whatever servers they find anyway, i guarantee
[15:49] <stuartlewis> s/defined/found
[15:49] <lcs> when there are vulnerabilities, the script kiddies just carpet-bomb all sites.
[15:49] <kshepherd> exactly
[15:49] <stuartlewis> Ok - ignore that worry then :)
[15:50] <stuartlewis> So - shall we vote:
[15:50] <stuartlewis> (1): version in head meta tag
[15:50] <stuartlewis> +1
[15:50] <tdonohue> +1
[15:50] <kshepherd> +1
[15:50] <lcs> +1
[15:50] <ysu_jat> +1
[15:50] <mhwood> +1
[15:50] <mdiggory> +1
[15:50] <stuartlewis> Ok - I'll open a new issue. Any volunteers?
[15:50] <lcs> i'll do it for xmlui, and take a shot at jspui (tho i'd appreciate help there)
[15:50] <stuartlewis> lcs: Thanks :)
[15:51] <stuartlewis> One the mechanisms is in place, we can do the jspui quickly
[15:51] <stuartlewis> (2) CSS hack to include icons out-the-box
[15:51] <tdonohue> +1
[15:51] <ysu_jat> +1
[15:51] <stuartlewis> (icons can be stored in shared UI module?)
[15:51] <kshepherd> +1
[15:51] <stuartlewis> +1
[15:51] <mhwood> +1
[15:51] <lcs> +1
[15:51] <stuartlewis> OK - I'll open a new issue. kshepherd: Happy for it to be assigned to you?
[15:51] <kshepherd> might need some quick investigation into public domain gif icons for the common file types
[15:52] <kshepherd> yep, assign to me
[15:52] <stuartlewis> Thanks :)
[15:52] <ysu_jat> I'll help with the icons
[15:52] <stuartlewis> (3) Kim - can you explain?
[15:52] <kshepherd> thanks
[15:52] <mhwood> If no icon for type X, empty or generic "document" or ???
[15:52] <ysu_jat> no icon should be the box with a ?
[15:53] <kshepherd> mhwood: good question, perhaps we can list our preferences on the JIRA issue
[15:53] <tdonohue> i'd say, put a generic "document" icon next to it
[15:53] <tdonohue> if i were a repo manager, I wouldn't want my repo to be peppered with ? icons :)
[15:53] <mhwood> Need to document well where the icons go, so sites can add their own.
[15:53] <kshepherd> i would prefer blank document icon
[15:54] <tdonohue> mhwood +1 - docs should come along with this update
[15:54] <kshepherd> mhwood: yes, i had thought theme images dir, but on second thoughts taht might be inefficient
[15:54] <kshepherd> here are teh examples in practice, btw
[15:54] <kshepherd> http://ourarchive.otago.ac.nz/handle/10523/128
[15:54] <mdiggory> images dir is appropriate and allows sites to override images
[15:55] <mdiggory> by changing theme
[15:55] <stuartlewis> What about the shared UI module?
[15:55] <kshepherd> it makes it so obvious that it's a file download that stuart and i were also thinking the View column is starting to look redundant in the xmlui file listing
[15:55] <mdiggory> which points at my concern....
[15:56] <kshepherd> which statement concerns you?
[15:56] <mdiggory> XMLUI would want files in the correct location to be overridable... static directory rather subverts the theming process
[15:56] <kshepherd> my assumption was that images dir was best, even if it means we have some extra copies of the gifs (which are of course tiny)
[15:57] <kshepherd> for some reason re-using gif icons doesn't seem as bad to me as reusing code ;)
[15:57] * kshepherd has another phone meeting now, semi-here
[15:58] <tdonohue> reusing gif icons doesn't seem that bad...i wouldn't be against duplicating them in JSPUI & XMLUI
[15:58] <lcs> we already duplicate them now, and even i don't object
[15:58] <stuartlewis> Ok - I'll summarise this in the new JIRA issue, and we can comment further in the issue.
[15:59] <mdiggory> I do however, see that the "base" share-ui solution as having its advantages... using maven overlay for branding is tollerable as well
[15:59] <mhwood> There was an open question about (3).
[15:59] <stuartlewis> (3) can be dealt with using a new JIRA issue I think, if kshepherd is in a another meeting now?
[16:00] <stuartlewis> IIRC he just had some fixes for the classic theme.
[16:00] <mdiggory> and it suggests a possibility of having the same overlay strategy for branding both JSPUI and XMLUI
[16:00] <mdiggory> I also need to take advantage of lunch...
[16:01] <mhwood> Thanks for dropping in!
[16:01] <mdiggory> so, I'll be online this afternoon... feel free to ping me on things...
[16:01] <tdonohue> have a good DLF
[16:01] <mdiggory> cheers, I will.
[16:02] <tdonohue> so, have we resolved this? #3 will have an issue opened for further discussion?
[16:03] <mhwood> Is (2) to the point that it would be appropriate to vote on the principle?
[16:04] <kshepherd> i'll open anotehr jira issue, sorry, trying to do too many things at once ;)
[16:04] <tdonohue> (also, we are obviously over time...so, if people need to head off, feel free.)
[16:04] <stuartlewis> Principle of where to store them, or principle of how to implement?
[16:04] <mhwood> Where to store can be worked out. The vote would seem to be, do this at all?
[16:05] <lcs> kshepherd: have a look at how the authority-confidence icons are done, also thorugh CSS, in the Reference theme in XMLUI.. it would probably be good if the implementations are similar, i'm happy to take whichever is best
[16:06] <kshepherd> ok will do
[16:06] <stuartlewis> mhwood: I thought we all voted +1 for (2)?
[16:06] <tdonohue> I think we already voted on the concept of #2 - CSS hack for file icons...we had +6 in approval
[16:06] <kshepherd> lcs: just uses a regex like a[href*=".pdf?sequence"] at present
[16:06] <mhwood> You are right. I didn't scroll back far enough. Sorry for the noise.
[16:06] <tdonohue> no problem :)
[16:06] <kshepherd> i'll upload a patch and we can comment further on JIRA re: where to put them
[16:08] <tdonohue> I know we are ove time, but I wanted to point out the writeup of last week's "Special Topic" meetings proposal: http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Special_Topics - If people approve of this, I'd like to see if we could start holding Special Topic meetings in either Dec or Jan (possibly Jan, with how busy Dec seems)
[16:08] <stuartlewis> +1 Jan
[16:09] <mhwood> Still reading but it looks good so far. Thanks.
[16:09] <lcs> +1 jan ("nothing gets done in dec.")
[16:09] <mhwood> +1 Jan
[16:10] <tdonohue> ok, we can say Jan then...we can have an official vote next week, to give everyone time to look through, etc.
[16:10] <tdonohue> feel free to add topics too, if you think of any
[16:11] <tdonohue> Some more wiki cleaning I did was to also document our meeting processes a little more formally: http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Developer_Meetings So, if you get the chance, give it a review and modify as needed
[16:12] <kshepherd> yeah i had a read earlier, looks good
[16:52] * lcs (n=chatzill@pool-72-93-191-180.bstnma.east.verizon.net) Quit (Remote closed the connection)
[17:00] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote closed the connection)
[17:02] * ysu_jat (n=jeffreyt@pool-70-17-173-55.pitt.east.verizon.net) has left #duraspace
[18:01] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[18:43] * justben (n=ben@hypatia.library.emory.edu) Quit ("Leaving.")
[18:48] * ksclarke (n=kevin@ip-152010148147.library.appstate.edu) Quit ("Leaving.")
[19:14] * grahamtriggs (n=grahamtr@cpc3-stev1-0-0-cust857.lutn.cable.ntl.com) Quit ()
[21:11] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@ Quit ()
[21:24] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[21:42] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@ Quit ()
[21:50] * ksclarke (n=kevin@adsl-21-143-19.clt.bellsouth.net) has joined #duraspace
[22:26] * ksclarke (n=kevin@adsl-21-143-19.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit ("Leaving.")

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.