#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2009-12-02

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[4:05] * DuraLogBot (n=PircBot@fedcommsrv1.nsdlib.org) has joined #duraspace
[4:05] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://duraspace.org/irclogs/'
[4:05] * Set by cwilper on Tue Jun 30 16:32:05 EDT 2009
[4:06] [freenode-connect VERSION]
[8:14] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[9:33] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[10:33] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote closed the connection)
[12:58] * ben_atmire (n=ben_atmi@ has joined #duraspace
[13:02] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:16] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[14:07] * keithg (n=keithg@68-31-193-199.pools.spcsdns.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:12] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[14:14] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:44] * jeffreytrimble (n=jeffreyt@maag127.maag.ysu.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:44] * jeffreytrimble (n=jeffreyt@maag127.maag.ysu.edu) Quit (Client Quit)
[14:46] * jat_ysu (n=jtrimble@maag127.maag.ysu.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:57] <tdonohue> All...we'll be starting the DSpace Developers meeting here shortly. Primary topics are around final preparations for 1.6RC1 and DSpace Testathon next week. I know jat_ysu wanted to talk Documention a bit. Anyone else have topics to add to agenda?
[15:01] * lcs (n=lcs@serenity.hul.harvard.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:02] <tdonohue> Ok..it's 20:00UTC...we'll go ahead and get started, and take topics as they come up. jat_ysu, do you want to talk about the Documentation that you still need?
[15:03] <jat_ysu> Yes..
[15:03] <jat_ysu> I've sent Pester emails to two individuals (who will remain Sine Nomine for now) regarding some missing documentation.
[15:04] <jat_ysu> As long as that missing documentation does not prohibit the proper building/installation or upgrading of DSpace, it will be fine to be missing.
[15:05] <jat_ysu> If there is any more documentation to be included, I have only three left-overs from JIRA that I will finish out this evening and close the tickets.
[15:05] <jat_ysu> So, send anything directly to me.
[15:06] <mdiggory> jat_ysu: thanks... feeling properly pestered. ;-)
[15:06] <jat_ysu> I making one more change to the upgrade section and will regenerate the html/pdf in about 1 hour.
[15:06] <kshepherd> jat_ysu: i'm just about to upload a patch to JIRA, i'll make sure i pass on any doco needed directly to you so you've got it
[15:06] <kshepherd> (no minute like the last.. sigh)
[15:06] <jat_ysu> LOL
[15:07] <jat_ysu> I had one funny issue last night and that was getting into the trunk....for some reason it didn't want to work and today it seems fine.
[15:07] <jat_ysu> Who's the guru regarding access
[15:07] <jat_ysu> ?
[15:07] * kshepherd points at mdiggory
[15:08] <jat_ysu> Now I can't pester mark, but can I bribe?
[15:08] <kshepherd> heh
[15:08] <jat_ysu> If I have time, the bug list will be included for the RC1 in the documentation.
[15:09] <jat_ysu> That's all I have for now.
[15:09] <mdiggory> hmmm, jat_ysu if you can post the error code you got, we might be able to tell why it failed...
[15:10] <lcs> i will have some doc fixes too, but maybye not until after 5pm est - what timezone are you in, jat_ysu?
[15:10] <jat_ysu> Okay. EST...I'll plan not to committ until 11 pm tonight.
[15:10] <jat_ysu> lcs: I'll be at the gym pumping iron until 7
[15:11] * richardrodgers (n=richardr@dhcp-18-111-11-204.dyn.mit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:11] <lcs> jat_ysu: excellent, will get you what i have by 7pm est.
[15:11] <tdonohue> (fyi...I won't start the actual RC1 release till tomorrow morning...so, if stuff comes in late tonight, like 11pm EST, it will still make it into RC1)
[15:11] <jat_ysu> great.
[15:12] <kshepherd> tdonohue: yay :)
[15:12] <tdonohue> I also wanted to bring up JSPUI stats again...kshepherd, is that going to be ready? A patch today?
[15:12] <kshepherd> yep, about 10 - 15min
[15:12] <kshepherd> so perhaps move to the next topic and after that the patch will be on JIRA
[15:13] <kshepherd> just adding Message.properties keys and links from the relevent JSPs
[15:13] <tdonohue> ok...cool.
[15:14] <tdonohue> next topic I had was to check on our Test Sites. We need to get them all linked up here: http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/DSpace_Release_1.6.0_Testathon_Page sometime later this week. I'm digging into email to see who all promised a test site...
[15:14] <jat_ysu> Tdonohue, is the release being coded as dspace-1.6?
[15:14] <jat_ysu> or dspace-1.6.0?
[15:14] <tdonohue> jat_ysu: it will be dspace-1.6.0-rc1
[15:15] <jat_ysu> When you run mvn package will it through everything in .../target/dspace-1.6-build.dir or /dspace-1.6.0-build.dir?
[15:15] <jat_ysu> through=throw
[15:15] <mdiggory> dspace-1.6.0-rc1
[15:15] <mdiggory> dspace-1.6.0-rc1-build.dir...
[15:15] <tdonohue> it will go into /dspace-1.6.0-rc1-build.dir
[15:16] <jat_ysu> okay..do you want the documentation to reflect this or more generic at this point?
[15:16] <mdiggory> shesh... maybe time to mask the version...
[15:16] <jat_ysu> LOL
[15:16] <jat_ysu> I dont' care, I just need to know to track appropriate and make it easy on the Unix Administrator
[15:16] <tdonohue> jat_ysu: The docs probably should be more generic...like /dspace-[version]-build.dir
[15:16] <jat_ysu> For Testathon, perhaps more generic.
[15:17] <jat_ysu> and for full release (production) the exacting release then.
[15:17] <lcs> it's always helpful to cite an example or two just to show what to expect in real life.
[15:17] <tdonohue> jat_ysu - sounds reasonable
[15:18] <jat_ysu> That's my point. For testathon, since you have given it to me now, I'll use it. For future, we can be generic for testing and specific for release.
[15:18] <tdonohue> I'm noticing from my notes Gabriela, John Davidson and Claudia will be putting up Testathon sites...since I don't think any of them are here, I'll follow up with them offline.
[15:19] <tdonohue> is there anything besides JSPUI Stats that is rushing to get into 1.6RC1?
[15:19] <lcs> maybe a fix for DS-393 if i can manage it in time.
[15:21] <jat_ysu> Oh I have one more question for all
[15:21] <tdonohue> jat_ysu...go ahead
[15:21] <mdiggory> lcs: yes, that would make ben_atmire happy
[15:22] <jat_ysu> In dspace.cfg we have two new key with new requirements: dspace.baseUrl = http://localhost:8080
[15:22] <jat_ysu> and dspace.url = ${dspace.baseUrl}/xmlui
[15:22] <mdiggory> Yes, its just an option... so that variables can utilize it
[15:22] <jat_ysu> If you happen to miss them, what will happen upon ant -Dconfig process??
[15:22] <mdiggory> nothing...
[15:23] <jat_ysu> Okay....gotcha. Are there other variable references in the config file? I didn't notice any.
[15:23] <mdiggory> because they are referred to later in the dspace.cfg
[15:23] <mdiggory> yes, "everywhere" ;-)
[15:23] <jat_ysu> Gotcha...okay, I overlooked it later on. Bad
[15:23] <mdiggory> ${variable}
[15:23] <jat_ysu> <=== slaps self with noodle.
[15:24] <jat_ysu> Should something be mentioned in the upgrade section to bring this to the user's attention?
[15:24] <mdiggory> TBH all this recommending ant -Dconfig stuff is not the best... I don't think we should be advising it
[15:24] * kshepherd is rebuilding w/ stats patch now
[15:24] <jat_ysu> any what, at this moment should we replace it with?
[15:25] <mdiggory> there are very important things that need to be reviewing in your new dspace.cfg... the ant update process will place a new dspace.cfg next to the existing one in your directory
[15:25] <mdiggory> dspace.cfg.new
[15:25] <jat_ysu> Yeah, I know...Mr. Woods and I have discussed this at great length.
[15:25] <mdiggory> if you use ant update -Doverwrite=true it will move the [dspace]/config/dspace.cfg to dspace.cfg.old and put the new file at dspace.cfg
[15:26] <jat_ysu> And everytime I've done that I've had to perform a tape restore...(since dspace 1.4
[15:26] <jat_ysu> )
[15:26] <mdiggory> :-O
[15:26] <jat_ysu> I don't trust it. That's just a personal opinion.
[15:27] <jat_ysu> Stuart recommended we leave out the update -Doverwrite out of the upgrade instructions.....
[15:27] <mdiggory> Well, firstly, I keep all the customizations to the configuration in [dspace-src]/dspace/config
[15:27] <mdiggory> and I keep it in a svn repository where I can keep track of difference
[15:27] <kshepherd> hmm.. maybe we just need to spend a bit more time explaining best practices for merging/updating configs between dspace versions
[15:28] <jat_ysu> Yeah, that might be handy. But the average user doesn't have a svn repository. I don't even keep one for my test server (well, I do now).
[15:28] <mdiggory> well, I'll pull out my broken record collection and state "All the config shouldn't be in one file"
[15:28] <jat_ysu> Amen!
[15:28] <kshepherd> agreed
[15:28] * tdonohue thinks that's too big a problem to tackle right now :)
[15:28] <kshepherd> also agreed
[15:28] * mdiggory nods
[15:28] <jat_ysu> Now you're talking brother!
[15:29] <tdonohue> so, can we do some basic "best practices" quickly?
[15:29] <jat_ysu> Yes, maybe the [space]/config directory needs several config files....based on the needs of each feature.
[15:29] <kshepherd> mark's svn config is a great idea
[15:30] <jat_ysu> Oh I agree... That's a great idea...but the average user who downloads the source may only make changes in the production config and if things don't line up just right you end up with a configuration that blows up on you.
[15:30] <mdiggory> much of he ant upgrade process needs revisiting... but I agree that is too big for right now
[15:30] <kshepherd> but perhaps even explaining what happens when you use old dspace.cfg files with missing keys etc., will convince users without svn or other resources to use a "re-customise the *new* dspace.cfg" approach instead of "try to keep going with the old one"
[15:30] <kshepherd> which i believe a lot of people do
[15:30] <kshepherd> or even just a bit of diff/merge explanation
[15:30] <jat_ysu> Well, I could address that in the documentation this evening Kim......and recommend that.
[15:30] <mdiggory> well, if you just use "ant update", then you can go to your [dspace]/config directory
[15:31] <mdiggory> there you will find things like dspace.cfg and dspace.cfg.new
[15:31] <jat_ysu> And you're saying that the dspace.cfg.new is the merged file?
[15:31] <tdonohue> jat_ysu, no...but you can compare dspace.cfg.new and dspace.cfg to see what's changed
[15:31] <jat_ysu> gothca
[15:31] <lcs> just making [dspace-src]/dspace/config/dspace.cfg the master config file is probably a novel idea to some sites, since it's so much easier to hack on [dspace]config/dspace.cfg..
[15:31] <kshepherd> mdiggory: yeah, we know taht.. but a lot of users still seem to have difficulty
[15:32] <mhwood> Yes, I have a whole 'nother directory for DSpace config.s and always specify -Dconfig=
[15:32] <mdiggory> its your responsibility to resolve the differences... the ant echo comments state that its best to copy the individual chages you;ve made to your dspace.cfg to the dspace.cfg.new, move the dspace.cfg out of the wany and change the name of dspace.cfg.new to dsapce.cfg
[15:32] <jat_ysu> Well, I think if we break up the dspace.cfg into smaller logical chunks, then this all becomes moot.
[15:32] * mdiggory ponders typing lessons
[15:33] <kshepherd> yeah. so i wasn't suggesting changing the ant task, just making it really clear to anynoe reading the doco what happens by default with new configs
[15:33] <mhwood> Yeah, some bits of dspace.cfg belong to deployment time and some to runtime, for one.
[15:33] <jat_ysu> Let me see what I can do to the documentation tonight. Wish me luck !
[15:34] <lcs> for now, perhaps a field guide to config files in the doc would be most appropriate, as in: [src]/.../dspace.cfg - this is the one you want to edit; [dspace].../dspace.cfg is actually used by the running app.
[15:34] <tdonohue> sounds good. splitting the configs is a good thought, but probably too late for 1.6 now...we'll have to wait for next release
[15:34] <mhwood> Definitely too late for 1.6.0
[15:34] <mdiggory> TBH I uncovered a ExtendedProperties class in Apache Commons Collections that does pretty much most of what ConfigurationManager is doing and allows multiple files and duplicate keys
[15:35] <jat_ysu> lcs: can you sketch that out for me? I'll be happy to include it some where in the final 1.6 docs.
[15:35] <mdiggory> Ironically it was written by stefano mazzocchi
[15:35] <tdonohue> mdiggory, sounds like something to look into for the next major version 1.7
[15:35] <mhwood> Some of the list-valued and yet more complex data make me think that maybe we don't want the properties format at all, at least for some stuff. And there are things that should maybe move into the database and have UI to mediate for the service administrator.
[15:35] <lcs> mdiggory: we should ask stefano if it's oen of those things he regrets, first..
[15:36] <lcs> jat_ysu: ok, will try.
[15:37] <tdonohue> kshepherd: is there anything you wanted to ask of us regarding JSPUI stats? even without the patch being ready yet?
[15:37] <tdonohue> any way we can help?
[15:37] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: 54 (Connection reset by peer))
[15:37] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:37] <kshepherd> think i'm all good, just bringing a test instance up to show you now
[15:37] <tdonohue> great! that's excellent news
[15:38] <mdiggory> lcs: nah, TBH, just because stefano regrets something now doesn't mean the tool is bad, it just means he's applying new bias'...
[15:39] <kshepherd> i've done something stupid to my web.xml i think, just gimme a few secs :P
[15:39] <mdiggory> If we threw out cocoon just because it wasn't the perfect framework, we'd still be working on the next perfect framework for years to come
[15:40] <tdonohue> while kshepherd is working on that...
[15:41] <lcs> i've gotta run - one more thing about doc, there ought to be some mention of DS-377, how to look for the version info in the META generator tag. what's the most appropriate place to mention it, though?
[15:41] <tdonohue> If you've written new features for 1.6...I'd appreciate help in updating the Test Scripts to help us test your features
[15:41] <tdonohue> http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/DSpace_Release_1.6.0_Testathon_Page
[15:42] <tdonohue> lcs: not sure offhand. I'd say write something up to send off to jat_ysu, and we can always figure out the most appropriate place for the 1.6 final
[15:43] <lcs> since choice/authority control has to be configrued on the server, the admins for the testathon servers will have to set taht up.
[15:43] <jat_ysu> send all ya want.....
[15:44] <lcs> gotta go to aother meeting.. bye!
[15:44] <jat_ysu> <==the bin for paperwork!
[15:44] <tdonohue> lcs: do we have instructions/docs for them to follow for setup of authority control?
[15:44] <kshepherd> ok, i've rebuild my stats views on my test server: http://www.anonymous.org.nz:8180 , please take a loko and let me know what you think
[15:44] <lcs> all choice/auth control doc is on the wiki, i updated that.
[15:44] <tdonohue> ok
[15:44] <jat_ysu> oh okay
[15:44] * lcs (n=lcs@serenity.hul.harvard.edu) Quit ()
[15:44] <kshepherd> uploading JIRA patch now
[15:45] <jat_ysu> kshepherd those look nice! (I'm biased to jspui)
[15:45] <tdonohue> kshepherd looks great...though FYI I just found a "??jsp.display-item.display-statistics??" missing key
[15:45] <tdonohue> http://www.anonymous.org.nz:8180/handle/123456789/465
[15:46] <mdiggory> jat_ysu: theres a converation in the dsapce channel that brings up an error in the docs
[15:46] <mhwood> Very nice.
[15:46] <kshepherd> tdonohue: ah, cheers
[15:46] <tdonohue> no prob :) one of those always slips through the cracks
[15:47] <mdiggory> when configuring Tomcat to deploy your webapps, the user should be editing the <Host> tag to point it at [dspace]/webapps, not the <Context> tag
[15:47] <tdonohue> mdiggory - this must be in the install instructions?
[15:47] <jat_ysu> Okay..let me look..do know the specific section #? (It's okay if you don't I'm looking right now)
[15:48] <mdiggory> think so
[15:48] <jat_ysu> Got it.
[15:49] <jat_ysu> Maek it has <HOST> in my documentation.
[15:49] <jat_ysu> http://digital.maag.ysu.edu/jspui/doc/ch03.html#N1063E
[15:49] <tdonohue> yea, it looks like that might have already been fixed...it already says "<host>"
[15:50] <mdiggory> wow, this is kinda stale...
[15:51] <mdiggory> firstly... Tomcat highly advises not putting <Context> entries into your server.xml
[15:52] <mhwood> Hmmm, well, it's okay to have <Context>s. But if you put 'em in server.xml and then ask questions on the Tomcat list, the first answer will be "don't do that." Since I run other stuff in Tomcat alongside DSpace, I have a bunch of .../Catalina/$HOST/$CONTEXT1.xml, $CONTEXT2.xml....
[15:53] <mhwood> Yes, every tweak to server.xml means a Tomcat restart. Many other tweaks will be picked up immediately, depending on Tomcat configuration.
[15:53] <tdonohue> mdiggory and mhwood - if you have updates, send them along to jat_ysu. Our docs are only as good as we keep them up to date :)
[15:53] <tdonohue> and I'd agree, it might be nice to write that up to not recommend server.xml changes
[15:53] <mdiggory> problem is that when you put them in server.xml, it breaks the overriding of context params etc
[15:53] <mhwood> Hey, do we even know whether we still work with Tomcat 4?
[15:54] <jat_ysu> I'm running tomcat 6
[15:54] <tdonohue> mhwood: not sure, to be honest. I'm on tomcat 6 too
[15:54] * mhwood too
[15:54] <mdiggory> all that is needed is <Host name="localhost" appBase="[dspace]/webapps"..../>
[15:55] <jat_ysu> <==never used this feature...I always cp -R /dspace/webapps to $Catalina/webapps
[15:55] <jat_ysu> So if you re-write tonight, it will be in tonight.
[15:55] <kshepherd> grrr.. *rage at broken $work proxy server*
[15:55] * keithg (n=keithg@68-31-193-199.pools.spcsdns.net) Quit ("Using leafChat 2")
[15:56] <mdiggory> hehe... me and my big mouth
[15:56] <jat_ysu> You said it , not me..... Wisdom in the man who says nothing.
[15:56] <jat_ysu> LOL
[15:57] <mdiggory> boring is that man who says nothing
[15:57] <tdonohue> mdiggory..but, heh, we're getting better docs out of this...it's all good
[15:57] <jat_ysu> Well, let me offer to look into this at least and see if I grasp it thoroughly. If I do, I 'll be happy to write and test for the final release.
[15:57] <jat_ysu> So Mark, you're temporarily off the hook.
[15:58] <kshepherd> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-363 has been updated with a patch
[15:59] <mdiggory> http://pastebin.com/m319feb0c
[15:59] <tdonohue> kshepherd - were you looking for any more detailed review before committing it?
[16:00] <jat_ysu> Oh, that was EAsy!
[16:00] <mdiggory> :-)
[16:00] * mdiggory gets coffee before phone call
[16:01] <kshepherd> tdonohue: perhaps just comments on teh question i had around which package my 'statistics bean' should belong to.. org.dspace.app.webui.components? (that's where i have it) or should it be in org.dspace.statistics?
[16:01] <kshepherd> not exactly critical
[16:02] <kshepherd> tdonohue: i've only been awake a few hours though, so perhaps if you can leave it up for people to read/test/review for 2-3 more hours, i will make sure i haven't done anything silly that hasn't occurred to me yet
[16:02] <tdonohue> ack. my netbeans just locked up, so I cannot see what's already in those packages. But, where you have it sounds more "right" to me
[16:03] <tdonohue> kshepherd - feel free to wait it out a bit then :)
[16:03] <kshepherd> at the moment, that components package just has submissions/recentsubmissions stuff, for the sideboar on colletion/commmunity pages I think
[16:06] <kshepherd> well, the "City Views" list on that item grew a bit, something must be working! ;)
[16:06] <tdonohue> kshepherd - there, i have everything back again. It seems like the best option would be to do either org.dspace.app.webui.components or create a new package org.dspace.app.webui.statistics
[16:07] <tdonohue> sorry all, we're way over time. Meeting is officially adjorned, but feel free to continue discussions (i'll be sticking around for a bit). Thanks for everyone for all the hard work on 1.6RC1, and I hope to see everyone online next week for the 1.6 Testathon!
[16:08] <kshepherd> cheers all, sorry for the lateness on DS-363 and thanks for the feedback
[16:09] <tdonohue> kshepherd - since it looks like you are only talking one class (StatisticsBean), I'd vote for leaving it where you have it for now...seems like a reasonable location to me
[16:09] <kshepherd> cool, that's what i was thinking
[16:09] <kshepherd> might promote the use of that approach in JSPUI, too, for other projects
[16:10] <kshepherd> (which i like, a lot)
[16:10] <kshepherd> JSTL makes JSPs tolerable :)
[16:10] <tdonohue> one last small thing I noticed...the comments at the top of StatisticsBean don't include the usual License info...
[16:11] <tdonohue> good to know!... i'll admit, it's been a while since I've worked with JSPs (I've tended towards XMLUI more recently)
[16:11] <kshepherd> oh, yeah, that's probably right.. i'll attach and re-upload
[16:12] <kshepherd> tdonohue: if you look at the JSP source for display-statistics.jsp it should look a fair bit like an xsl template in XMLUI, but using beans instead of DIM ;)
[16:13] <tdonohue> yep, i see it...cool
[16:14] <kshepherd> mdiggory has been conspicuously silent.. that either means he can't see any problems or he's realised it's too late to point them out anyway ;)
[16:14] <kshepherd> brb, coffee and smoke
[16:25] * richardrodgers (n=richardr@dhcp-18-111-11-204.dyn.mit.edu) Quit ()
[16:26] <jat_ysu> <==is off to go an lift weights.....
[16:26] <jat_ysu> Enjoy your evenings.
[16:26] <mhwood> Bye, thanks!
[16:26] * jat_ysu (n=jtrimble@maag127.maag.ysu.edu) Quit ("Leaving")
[16:26] <tdonohue> have a good on jat_ysu. Thanks again for all the docs work!
[17:03] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote closed the connection)
[17:24] * ben_atmire (n=ben_atmi@ Quit ()
[18:24] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[20:16] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@ Quit ()
[21:07] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-214-84.san.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:16] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-214-84.san.res.rr.com) Quit ()
[21:28] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-214-84.san.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:47] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-214-84.san.res.rr.com) Quit ()
[21:58] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-214-84.san.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.