#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2010-01-13

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[4:05] * DuraLogBot (n=PircBot@fedcommsrv1.nsdlib.org) has joined #duraspace
[4:05] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://duraspace.org/irclogs/'
[4:05] * Set by cwilper on Tue Jun 30 16:32:05 EDT 2009
[4:09] -christel- [Global Notice] Hi all, We are now in the final stages of preparing the change over from hyperion to ircd-seven, we would encourage users and projects to read http://announce.freenode.net and familiarise yourselves with upcoming migration plans, we also suggest making sure that your bots and scripts work with the new ircd. Thank you and have a good day!
[6:43] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[8:16] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[8:25] * Dan_Davis (i=43f11873@gateway/web/freenode/x-dthallrylogveqgi) Quit ("Page closed")
[9:26] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[11:08] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[11:10] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[11:20] * tdonohue1 (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[11:20] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Nick collision from services.)
[11:20] * tdonohue1 is now known as tdonohue
[12:50] * PeterDietz (n=PeterDie@ACK5859s3.lib.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:52] * barmintor (i=barminto@specdl11.cul.columbia.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:50] * grahamtriggs (n=grahamtr@cpc1-stev6-2-0-cust340.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[14:53] * cccharles (n=user@lib-d085.cfs.uoguelph.ca) has joined #duraspace
[14:58] <tdonohue> Hi all, the DSpace Developers meeting will start here in a few minutes. Main agenda items: 1.6 update, JIRA review, infrastructure changes (wiki migration). If anyone has other items, feel free to post them.
[15:00] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:01] <tdonohue> Ok, all. Time to get started. Shall we start with 1.6 updates, stuartlewis?
[15:02] * richardrodgers (n=richardr@pool-173-76-16-252.bstnma.fios.verizon.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:02] <stuartlewis> It would be good to get agreement on the log4j changes: http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-460 and ... (looking for it)
[15:03] <stuartlewis> DS-455
[15:03] <stuartlewis> Is everyone OK if we make these changes?
[15:04] <stuartlewis> (get rid of log4j.xml, and change the logging method to Graham's date-based logger?
[15:04] <stuartlewis> DS-460 has 10 votes, and no one has raised any issues
[15:05] <tdonohue> Shall we quick vote on each, just to make formal?
[15:05] <stuartlewis> OK
[15:05] * bollini (n=chatzill@ has joined #duraspace
[15:05] <stuartlewis> DS-460 - change to daily logging method
[15:05] <stuartlewis> +1
[15:05] <richardrodgers> +1
[15:05] <tdonohue> +1
[15:05] <mhwood> +1
[15:06] <tdonohue> DS-460 Summary: +4 (and the +10 on site) - Sounds like it can be committed, unless there are any other comments (send comments to Stuart)
[15:06] <stuartlewis> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-455 Remove dspace/config/log4j.xml
[15:06] <richardrodgers> 0 thought doc could address confusion
[15:07] <tdonohue> I'm unsure on this one...I'd rather have docs around it, and have it as an option
[15:07] <tdonohue> (since I think some folks use the log4j.xml -- looking at mdiggory)
[15:07] <mdiggory> problem is that having causes users confusion on which is being used
[15:07] <stuartlewis> But out the box it is confusing having it there, and we're unsure of how Java treats the precedence.
[15:07] <mdiggory> not really... at least anymore
[15:08] <stuartlewis> There is nothing stopping users putting it back if they want. An ant update won't remove it.
[15:08] <mdiggory> dspace.cfg / ConfigurationManager define precidence
[15:08] <mhwood> If we keep the .xml then it needs some small updates to keep up with .properties, and there are several other log4j.* files that want XML versions.
[15:09] <richardrodgers> updates OK - why do all have to be alike?
[15:09] <mdiggory> xml version and properties version provide same capabilities. we should just standardize on one.
[15:09] <mhwood> Hmmm, strictly speaking isn't it log4j's OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure() that defines precedence?
[15:09] <mdiggory> more work to port all logs to xml version
[15:09] <tdonohue> ok, sounds like majority are +1 on this...do we want to vote officially :)
[15:10] <mdiggory> Not if you hardcode the intialization the way we do
[15:10] <stuartlewis> Probably should.
[15:10] <stuartlewis> +1 to remove log4j.xml, and document that it can be used if desired.
[15:10] <mdiggory> +1
[15:10] <mhwood> The code I see just passes log.init.config to selectAndConfigure, and that looks at the tail of the string to decide what to do.
[15:10] <mhwood> +1
[15:11] <richardrodgers> wait do you mean remove the file or the handling of it if present?
[15:11] <mhwood> The file, I thought. Handling looks good.
[15:11] <mdiggory> thats right... our code still decides which is designated though
[15:11] <stuartlewis> Remove log4j.xml from svn
[15:11] <tdonohue> ok, i'll vote +1...i'm swayed
[15:11] <mhwood> I don't see where our code sees both and picks one.
[15:12] <mdiggory> leave the handling, just remove the file... maybe put a copy on the wiki or something
[15:12] <tdonohue> DS-455 Summary: +4 in favor
[15:12] <mdiggory> mhwood: log.init.config
[15:12] <stuartlewis> OK - are there any other 1.6 issues that people want to raise / discuss?
[15:12] <tdonohue> I'd like a quick vote on http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-399 - See my last comment
[15:12] <stuartlewis> Is everyone ok if this is committed? If anyone else can test it, that would be good. It has had a good working-over by Peter Dietz who throw 3 years of logs at it: http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-364
[15:12] <tdonohue> I've got a patch, but I want other eyes on my decision
[15:13] <mdiggory> I'm unsure about the other cases.... I assume that they load quite differently
[15:13] * caryn (i=80c8e115@gateway/web/freenode/x-qqgxbbwgqtlouvgp) has joined #duraspace
[15:13] <stuartlewis> OK... DS-399
[15:13] <tdonohue> Vote on http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-399 - Special Chars in collection license lead to parse error
[15:14] <tdonohue> (again, see last comment on my decisions -- patch is very small overall)
[15:14] <richardrodgers> +1 if tested
[15:14] <stuartlewis> Sounds OK to me.
[15:14] <tdonohue> +1 (it's tested on my end...just needs more testing)
[15:15] <stuartlewis> +1
[15:15] <tdonohue> DS-399 Summary: +3 (any other comments, suggestions, send to Tim -- I'll leave open for another day or so)
[15:15] <tdonohue> Ok, did you want to review DS-364 again, stuartlewis?
[15:16] <stuartlewis> Yes please
[15:16] <stuartlewis> s everyone ok if this is committed? If anyone else can test it, that would be good. It has had a good working-over by Peter Dietz who throw 3 years of logs at it: http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-364
[15:16] <tdonohue> Does anyone have access to some "real" dspace.log data?
[15:16] <mdiggory> as its new code... I say commit it so it is easier to test
[15:16] <stuartlewis> It allows dspace.log files to add old events to the solr stats, or in the event of losing your solr stats, they can be rebuilt from dspace.log files
[15:17] <stuartlewis> Peter Dietz has attached a log file to the JIRA issue
[15:17] <mdiggory> We also need to test loading solr from it.
[15:17] <stuartlewis> Peter loaded 3 years of logs into it, several GB of data, and he says it performed fine.
[15:17] <richardrodgers> no objection - we use different stats so can't comment
[15:18] <stuartlewis> Ok - will commit it to allow further testing.
[15:18] <tdonohue> I have no objection to committing it for further test, like mdiggory suggests
[15:18] <mdiggory> stuartlewis: its using dspace.log or httpd access logs?
[15:18] <stuartlewis> dspace.log
[15:18] <mhwood> Sounds very necessary for existing sites.
[15:19] <tdonohue> Ok, I also have a few updates from Jeffrey Trimble to send along, re: 1.6
[15:19] <tdonohue> Jeff: My goal is to have all my JIRA tickets closed on Sunday.
[15:19] <tdonohue> Jeff: The UI help screens. Next week I will start to code/recode some of the HTML screens and commit
[15:19] <tdonohue> them to the trunk.
[15:20] <tdonohue> Other updates? I notice we still have 29 open issues: http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS/fixforversion/10020
[15:20] <richardrodgers> Cool - maybe we should recruit some proof-reader volunteers soon?
[15:20] <PeterDietz> I would say DS-364 in its final form worked correctly for all my data
[15:21] <tdonohue> richardrodgers: definitely. I'd like to see if we can get non-techies to help as well -- especially on help screen stuff or similar user level docs
[15:21] <mhwood> DS-364: folks are going to ask, "how long does it take?"
[15:21] <stuartlewis> Is everyone still Ok with us aiming to get all the outstanding issues closed by next week's meeting (pending documentation updates) so we can look at cutting an RC2?
[15:21] <mdiggory> perhaps as part of the new migration of documents activity after the release.
[15:21] <richardrodgers> OK with me
[15:22] <tdonohue> Looks like mdiggory has 10? mdiggory?
[15:22] <stuartlewis> mhwood: Its pretty quick, but of course depends on your amount of data. If you have the default 500*1mb files, it'll probably only take 15 mins.
[15:22] <PeterDietz> DS-364 depends on the input, my 12GB or so took ~3 days of Core2Duo crunching (convert + import)
[15:22] <mdiggory> working through them and updating accordingly, I want to get these off my plate
[15:23] <tdonohue> mdiggory, do you need help in completing, or are we still on target for next week?
[15:23] <mdiggory> the Stats Logger stuff will need documentation
[15:24] <mdiggory> need to devid everything first by development vs documentation
[15:24] <stuartlewis> I have to go in 5 mins. Is there anything I'm needed for before I go?
[15:24] <tdonohue> stuartlewis: no...unless you have any other updates to throw out here?
[15:24] <stuartlewis> Don't think so.
[15:25] <stuartlewis> Just one thing...
[15:25] <stuartlewis> It looks like we might be having one of the DSpace webinars on the 17th Feb, about 1.6
[15:25] <stuartlewis> Could we aim for that as a launch date, so we can formally launch it during the webinar?
[15:25] <stuartlewis> (pending any ugly bugs in rc2!)
[15:26] <tdonohue> stuartlewis: yes, that sounds like a good goal to me...others?
[15:26] <richardrodgers> Aspirationally, sure - I was going to mention ugly bugs as well ;)
[15:26] <mdiggory> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-405 and http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-421 are identical and can be closed. This functionality was removed in the version placed in 1.6
[15:27] <tdonohue> mdiggory - feel free to close if they are out of date or already fixed
[15:27] <tdonohue> and, as for the Feb 17 goal - yes, definitely assuming we don't hit ugly bugs.
[15:27] <stuartlewis> Great - thanks.
[15:27] <stuartlewis> Bye.
[15:27] <tdonohue> Any other 1.6 Updates anyone wants to throw out here?
[15:28] <tdonohue> stuartlewis: bye
[15:28] <mdiggory> most of this stuff just relates to documenting services and stats, the others may need to be pushed off if simple fixes are not available.
[15:29] <mdiggory> http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-239 and http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-253
[15:29] <mdiggory> these two are longstanding problems with Cocoon that can seem to be cleared.
[15:29] <mdiggory> can = can't
[15:29] <tdonohue> mdiggory: but, it looks like DS-253 has a patch or fix? (based on comments)
[15:30] <mdiggory> ATM, Cocoon 2.2 Blocks do not work in DSpace 1.6
[15:30] <richardrodgers> are there any workarounds?
[15:30] <mdiggory> the problem is that the fixes that were applied broke other functionality
[15:30] <mdiggory> namely "blocks"
[15:30] <richardrodgers> I thought we regarded this as serious enough to warrant a separate release
[15:30] <mdiggory> the tradeoff was critical
[15:31] <mdiggory> for 1.5.3?
[15:31] <richardrodgers> yep
[15:32] <tdonohue> (digging through the comments of DS-253)
[15:32] <mdiggory> I was stalling with Hope that the Cocoon community would find a solution, but that appears not to be the case
[15:33] <mhwood> I think the Cocoon dev.s have forgotten that 2.x ever existed....
[15:33] <tdonohue> mdiggory: well, is there any workaround for now in DSpace, to avoid this...seems like a rather annoying bug
[15:34] <mdiggory> I'm tempted to suggest that we release our own patched cocoon module based on something Larry had commented on in the ticket
[15:34] <mdiggory> I.E. fix the request bug, leave off the changes to blocks that is breaking them
[15:35] <tdonohue> it sounds reasonable...can you add some comments in there for now about your thoughts? I'm worried about timelines with 1.6.0 -- maybe this will need to be a 1.6.1 (unless others disagree)
[15:36] <mhwood> Hmmm, would that include the fix for the 404 on statics? It's not possible to register for Google Analytics if they can't provoke a proper 404.
[15:37] <tdonohue> mhwood: which issue is this?
[15:37] <mdiggory> likewise, I'm not sure how long it will take to patch/repackage the module given what I've seen in the cocoon 2.2 build process.
[15:38] <grahamtriggs> mhwood: Google Webmaster, not Analytics!
[15:39] * kshepherd is late sorry
[15:39] <tdonohue> mhwood: nevermind. just noticed the 404 comments in DS-253 -- that is problematic
[15:40] <tdonohue> mdiggory: could we put DS-253 on agenda for next week? Will you be around to discuss options, etc?
[15:41] <tdonohue> DS-253 definitely sounds like something to get all our heads around and have a larger discussion, if possible (either via IRC or email)
[15:41] <mdiggory> sure... perhaps a few of us can do a little review prior tot he meeting
[15:41] <mhwood> tdonohue: DS-2
[15:41] <tdonohue> mdiggory: that'd be good
[15:42] <tdonohue> mhwood: but DS-2 is closed?
[15:42] <mdiggory> note... per 404's http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-2
[15:43] <mdiggory> it was an svn commit
[15:43] <mhwood> You're right, it's closed, but IIRC something else changed in 1.5.2 and it came back.
[15:43] <tdonohue> Ok...we might want to reopen DS-2 then, or a new issue describing latest problems
[15:44] <tdonohue> Is that it for 1.6 updates? I'd like to squeeze in some discussion about the upcoming Wiki Migration work to get all your thoughts...
[15:44] * mdiggory_ (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:45] <richardrodgers> tdonohue: wrt the general-list, sorry I'm waiting on central IT
[15:45] <richardrodgers> I'll bug them so you can move plans forward
[15:46] <tdonohue> RE: Wiki Migration, DuraSpace has proposed migrating the DSpace Wiki from MediaWiki to Confluence. Confluence provides us with more features, will also allowing the Wiki to move into the same "infrastructure" as the DuraSpace/Fedora Wiki -- so, easier to manage longer term, hopefully
[15:46] <tdonohue> Does anyone have any objections to this proposal? The proposal is to test a wiki content migration in the next few weeks, and potentially migrate at end of Jan/Feb (assuming all goes well, and there are no major objections)
[15:47] * mdiggory__ (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:47] <mdiggory__> network problems...
[15:48] <tdonohue> mdiggory__: was just discussing reasons behind Wiki migration to Confluence and asking for thoughts/objections (if anyone has any)
[15:48] <tdonohue> Wiki move proposed timeline is to do testing for next few weeks, and potentially migrate at end of Jan, early Feb
[15:48] <caryn> more features = enables more community involvement?
[15:48] <richardrodgers> If you feel there is a management win, why not?
[15:48] <mhwood> I suppose it's time -- I haven't found any MoinMoin->Wikimedia damage to fix for a while. :-/
[15:48] <mdiggory__> excellent... it will be exciting to see
[15:49] <tdonohue> caryn: yes, we're hoping more community involvement. Confluence allows for WSIWYG editing (like Word), so no need to understand Wiki syntax = potential for more involvement
[15:49] <mhwood> caryn: depends -- sometimes more features = less involvement, more perplexity
[15:50] <tdonohue> mhwood: yes, Valorie is also working with DSpace Community Outreach Group to get non-techies involved with the migration process, to help find problems, fix them, etc. So, I'm hoping it won't all fall to Committers to help out with final fixes, etc
[15:51] <caryn> if there's a mgmt win, then it's definitely worth the effort. some of these migrations can become very complicated very fast - the potential benefits are good though.
[15:51] <mdiggory__> tdonohue: hoping to see clearer workflow for taking wiki content and migrating it into documentation.
[15:52] <tdonohue> mdiggory__: agreed. That's another topic to for later, after the wiki migration is finalized.
[15:52] <mdiggory__> so, it certainly is a community process that will be a big win
[15:53] <tdonohue> Ok, well, if anyone else has other comments on Wiki migration, let me know. There will obviously be more announcements, and I'll send updates out to dspace-devel going forward. I do hope this will be a mgmt win for all of us -- though I know no migration is perfect
[15:54] <mdiggory__> I think we will find there is a lot of cruft int eh wiki and this is an opportunity to get it cleaned up.
[15:54] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))
[15:54] <tdonohue> The other thing to note is that I'm working (with richardrodgers / MIT) to migrate the dspace-general listserv over to SourceForge, along with all other listservs. This is again a mgmt win. It looks like it should be a smooth process, but it hasn't been scheduled yet (and obviously will be announced well before it is scheduled)
[15:55] <caryn> nice
[15:55] <mhwood> If only SF's list archive UI wasn't such a botch.
[15:56] <mdiggory__> yes, another good idea, will this mean a consolidation of the tech and general lists, or something else?
[15:56] <tdonohue> mhwood: yea, that is still a problem, but at least the committers will be able to better block spammers from dspace-general (as we do on dspace-tech, dspace-devel, etc.)
[15:56] <richardrodgers> I still think having a low-traffic list is a good idea for non-techies
[15:56] <tdonohue> mdiggory__: essentially, it's just a *move* of dspace-general. That list will still exist, but it wiill now reside at SourceForge alongside dspace-tech, dspaace-devel
[15:57] <richardrodgers> for announcements, etc
[15:57] <tdonohue> and that move will also mean the archives of dspace-general will move over to SourceForge as well
[15:57] <caryn> richardrogers: agreed!
[15:57] <tdonohue> richardrodgers: agreed as well.
[15:57] <mdiggory__> perhaps then it should be renamed such? for clarity and to centralize enduser conversation on one list instead of two
[15:57] <mhwood> It does make sense to have them all in the same place.
[15:59] <tdonohue> mdiggory__: I'd worry about renaming at this point...I think most folks know it as 'dspace-general', and I was thinking to keep that name.
[15:59] <mhwood> Not to mention, not breaking lots of procmail/maildrop rules etc.
[16:00] <tdonohue> so, it would just be dspace-general@lists.sourceforge.net rather than dspace-general@mit.edu
[16:00] <mdiggory__> tdonohue: now is probably the only opportunity you will have to rename it, afterward, thers not much reason to
[16:00] * mdiggory_ (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
[16:00] <grahamtriggs> richardrodgers: hmmm... not convinced about a low-traffic list. Or rather, if we need an announcement list, why not have specifically an announcement list
[16:01] <richardrodgers> grahamtriggs: that's close to what general is - if you look at the membership lists, you will see quite a distinct audience...
[16:01] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
[16:01] <tdonohue> mdiggory__: I'll bring it up with Michele, Brad and Valorie at DuraSpace to see what they'd think as well. It's worth a thought, just not sure if it'd cause more problems than its worth to rename
[16:01] * mdiggory__ is now known as mdiggory
[16:01] <mdiggory> tdonohue: or more specifically, what I mean is that renaming alone would be significant enough change not to warrant the disruption or confusion it would create fro users
[16:02] <mdiggory> certainly fewer now that your transitioning it for another reason that is valid
[16:02] <mhwood> Doesn't the page where one learns of the existence of dspace-general explain what it's for? (And what the others are for?)
[16:03] <tdonohue> mhwood: yea, i think it does
[16:03] <caryn> it is useful to have a list that's not titled "tech" or "dev" - mostly from a newbies standpoint (it can be intimidating)...
[16:03] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[16:03] <tdonohue> caryn: yes, agreed. I don't think we'd want to get rid of it.
[16:03] <mhwood> Agreed that, if we want to change the localpart, the time to do it is when the hostname is also changing.
[16:03] <grahamtriggs> richardrodgers: So why not make it specifically an announcement only list? It might actually get more subscribers if they know it's announcements only and no discussions
[16:04] <caryn> just fyi - here's the landing page for the current general list: http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/dspace-general
[16:04] <tdonohue> grahamtriggs: sometimes higher level discussions actually do happen on dspace-general. It's not frequent (mostly announcements), but I recall it happening in the past
[16:04] <mdiggory> I know I've had this conversation before...
[16:04] <mhwood> Where, then, do users go to discuss non-dev, non-tech aspects?
[16:04] <caryn> "The DSpace-general mailing list is for discussion about building and running a DSpace service. It is open to all DSpace users to ask questions, share news, and spark discussion about DSpace with people managing other DSpace sites. "
[16:04] <tdonohue> thanks caryn
[16:05] <mdiggory> shouldn't that be dspace-tech aka dspace-user
[16:05] <grahamtriggs> I agree that the tech and dev names are confusing, but that can just be seen as an argument for rebranding -tech
[16:05] <richardrodgers> grahamtriggs: there might be an argument for that, but just a bit of history on this:
[16:05] * tdonohue notices we are over time...but, we can keep this going for a bit
[16:06] <richardrodgers> We initially launched about 10 lists (based on subject-interest, etc) in addition to tech & dev. People found this confusing
[16:06] <mdiggory> No doubt ! ;-)
[16:07] <richardrodgers> So we pared it down to one, fairly low-traffic list, that one could 'safely' subscribe to without a lot of minutae coming across
[16:08] <richardrodgers> What the best name for it is I agree debatable - 'general' might not have been the best, but
[16:08] <richardrodgers> now folks are familiar with it.
[16:08] <mdiggory> I've put in my $0.02 on this. Hunger trumps Ego. I commend those with ambition to accomplish the transition and leave the decision in your hands :-)
[16:09] -christel- [Global Notice] Hi all, we are currently experiencing a "new sort of spam" -- where the spammer claims to be tunelling via HTTP POST and encourages you to visit a url. Visiting the URL opens another connecting via YOUR ip which spams further, we encourage you to NOT click the link to avoid being banned from channels or the network. Thank you.
[16:09] <tdonohue> thanks for the vote of confidence, mdiggory
[16:09] <grahamtriggs> I'm just having a quick scan of -general. Isn't it fair to say that a very high proportion of actual 'discussions' on there should really just have gone to -tech in the first place anyway?
[16:10] <richardrodgers> Yes, there are a lot of newbie misdirected tech stuff
[16:10] <tdonohue> grahamtriggs: I still find it hard making such a generalization, and I feel as others that there is worth in have a non-techie listserv (even if many questions still end up being forwarded to the techie one)
[16:11] <mhwood> Some tend to think of "technical" as meaning "having to do with the computing aspects", but e.g. librarians have their own idea of what "technical" means, so I'll admit that it is a little fuzzy. Maybe it should have been something like "operational".
[16:11] <grahamtriggs> So if it was locked down to announcements, then they would be go to -tech (or however it was rebranded by default)
[16:12] <caryn> i guess i would only say that if you have only tech, then you won't get as many questions from newbies, which might increase frustration levels, and decrease community participation.
[16:12] <mhwood> The question in my mind is: is it useful to distinguish "making DSpace run" from "applying DSpace to my archival problem"?
[16:12] <tdonohue> grahamtriggs: but, I think it is still intimidating for some. Plus, there would be no place for people to ask about policy level questions (which may have little to do with the software)
[16:12] * bollini (n=chatzill@ Quit ("ChatZilla 0.9.85 [Firefox 3.0.17/2009122116]")
[16:13] <caryn> mhwood: yes! archivists would not be interested in seeing messages about making DSpace run, and vice versa
[16:13] <tdonohue> mhwood: I'd say yes to your question..it's all about that.
[16:14] <tdonohue> ok, all...feel free to continue this (i'll hang around), but also feel free to cut out...we've gone well over time
[16:14] <richardrodgers> Who's going to London dev8?
[16:14] <tdonohue> oh, thanks...forgot about that one :)
[16:15] <tdonohue> i'll be at dev8D (www.dev8D.org)...anyone else? should we have a meetup?
[16:15] <mhwood> *sigh*, no budget and likely no time to get a passport....
[16:15] <grahamtriggs> tdonohue: restrict pdf view, non-unique handle keys, non-standard characters, CSS issues... all -tech. The majority are announcement posts (even if they come from wider community - we should have a means to post those announcements)
[16:15] <mdiggory> richardrodgers: I'm attending code4lib and will not be able to attend dev8D
[16:16] <tdonohue> yea, it's a shame code4lib and dev8D are at the same time this year
[16:16] <richardrodgers> mdiggory: that is a tough one - I want to go to code4lib also
[16:16] <mdiggory> Ideally we should try to organize more US events around DSpace, traveling to Europe is not tractable
[16:17] * kshepherd sighs ;)
[16:17] <mdiggory> We really need to see a stronger counterpart to JISC / dev8D emerge in the US
[16:17] <mhwood> We need a train running *west* out of England.
[16:17] <mdiggory> ok... and in KIWI-land
[16:17] <richardrodgers> tdonohue: not final, but I will likely go, so would be happy to get together
[16:17] <kshepherd> :D
[16:17] <tdonohue> mdiggory: yea, agreed. It'd be nice to see a DSUG in US sometime this year
[16:17] <kshepherd> mdiggory: hawaii could be a good compromise ;)
[16:18] <tdonohue> richardrodgers: sounds good...I'll send out a call to see if we have others who will also be there
[16:18] <mdiggory> HEAR HEAR
[16:18] <tdonohue> kshepherd: hawaii is fine by me!
[16:18] <richardrodgers> Foundation sponsors all comitters travel....
[16:19] <kshepherd> heh
[16:19] <tdonohue> haha :) yea, I'll have to see if that will fly, richardrodgers
[16:20] <mdiggory> Other possible meetups.... JA-SIG in March (San Diego)
[16:20] <bradmc> Hawaii, all committers, fly? No ... Rowboat.
[16:21] <richardrodgers> bradm: I'm seeing lost episodes now
[16:21] <caryn> lol
[16:21] <mdiggory> wasn't that a Gilligan's Island episode
[16:22] <PeterDietz> If the rowboat begins to leak and take water, do we submit a Jira ticket, and wait for Stuart to patch it?
[16:22] <mdiggory> no, that was a surfboard...
[16:22] <caryn> they filmed the opening of gilligan's island in newport beach... maybe we should schedule a dspace mtg here in oc?
[16:22] <tdonohue> PeterDietz: oh no. what if we cannot get an internet connection!
[16:23] <mhwood> Internet Protocol over Avian Carriers?
[16:23] <mdiggory> caryn: I'd support that idea.
[16:23] <PeterDietz> alright, delay 1.6 until we can access jira offline
[16:24] <tdonohue> good meeting/discussion all...consider the meeting adjourned, but feel free to continue discussion Committer/Lost spinoffs :)
[16:25] <richardrodgers> bye all
[16:25] * richardrodgers (n=richardr@pool-173-76-16-252.bstnma.fios.verizon.net) Quit ()
[16:37] * caryn (i=80c8e115@gateway/web/freenode/x-qqgxbbwgqtlouvgp) Quit ("Page closed")
[16:45] * grahamtriggs (n=grahamtr@cpc1-stev6-2-0-cust340.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit ()
[16:45] * PeterDietz (n=PeterDie@ACK5859s3.lib.ohio-state.edu) has left #duraspace
[16:54] * stuartlewis (n=stuartle@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit ()
[16:55] * mdiggory_ (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[16:58] * mdiggory_ (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) has left #duraspace
[17:04] * mdiggory (n=mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
[17:07] * mhwood (i=mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[18:07] * tdonohue (n=tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[18:58] * barmintor (i=barminto@specdl11.cul.columbia.edu) Quit ()
[22:42] * barmintor (n=chatzill@cpe-72-229-190-215.nyc.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[22:44] * barmintor (n=chatzill@cpe-72-229-190-215.nyc.res.rr.com) Quit (Client Quit)
[22:47] * bradmc (n=bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit ()

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.