#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2010-03-03

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:05] * grahamtriggs (~grahamtri@cpc1-stev6-2-0-cust340.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[1:04] * grahamtriggs (~grahamtri@cpc1-stev6-2-0-cust340.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Quit: grahamtriggs)
[1:56] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ has joined #duraspace
[2:24] * noreply_ (~chatzilla@c-67-171-28-159.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[2:33] * noreply_ (~chatzilla@c-67-171-28-159.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[4:06] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[4:06] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[4:06] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[4:06] -leguin.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[4:06] [frigg VERSION]
[4:06] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@fedcommsrv1.nsdlib.org) has joined #duraspace
[4:06] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://duraspace.org/irclogs/'
[4:06] * Set by cwilper on Tue Jun 30 16:32:05 EDT 2009
[5:04] * noreply_ (~chatzilla@c-67-171-28-159.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[5:04] * noreply_ (~chatzilla@c-67-171-28-159.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[7:10] * grahamtriggs (~trig01@ has joined #duraspace
[9:24] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[9:28] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[11:15] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@dhcp-18-111-8-77.dyn.mit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:12] * grahamtriggs (~trig01@ has left #duraspace
[14:24] * cccharles (~user@ has joined #duraspace
[14:58] <tdonohue> Hi all...DSpace Developer Meeting will be starting here in a few minutes...
[15:02] <tdonohue> Hmmm...we're a smaller group than normal, it seems. Everyone must be out celebrating the release of 1.6.0 today!
[15:02] * richardrodgers (~richardro@pool-173-76-18-245.bstnma.fios.verizon.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:02] * grahamtriggs (~grahamtri@cpc1-stev6-2-0-cust340.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:03] <tdonohue> Ok, may as well get started...I was just saying we're a small group, but it looks like grahamtriggs and richardrodgers just joined up
[15:03] * keith-noadmin (~keith-noa@lib-kgilbertson.library.gatech.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:04] * grahamtriggs waves
[15:04] <mhwood> First agenda item?
[15:04] <tdonohue> first and foremost...a huge congrats to us all on 1.6.0 Release Day! Thanks to stuartlewis for being the intrepid release mgr, and our new docs guru Jeff Trimble...
[15:04] <kshepherd> yeah thanks guys :)
[15:04] <richardrodgers> hear hear!
[15:05] <tdonohue> we all deserve a round of applause / virtual beers :)
[15:05] <mhwood> [applause all 'round]
[15:05] <stuartlewis> ...and thanks to Tim for actually making the release and helping all the way through!
[15:05] <tdonohue> Here's a general agenda: https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4B8E8844.2030901%40duraspace.org&forum_name=dspace-devel
[15:06] <tdonohue> I wanted to first touch on Google Summer of Code 2010. Are we definitely all in this year? Applications are due next week for mentoring organizations. I'm willing to be the main "administrator", if someone will volunteer as backup/co-admin for GSOC
[15:07] <tdonohue> thoughts?
[15:07] <richardrodgers> Should we get a sense of the mentor pool?
[15:07] * stuartlewis is happy to volunteer *if* you can find no one else, but am happy to sit back and do nothing for 6 months too!
[15:08] <tdonohue> richardrodgers: good point. Anyone willing to be a mentor? (I'll also send this out across dspace-devel after the meeting)
[15:08] <stuartlewis> I'd like to see mentor pairs - perhaps a developer + a user.
[15:08] <tdonohue> Here's the FAQ on GSOC: http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs
[15:09] <richardrodgers> I know it's often proposal-dependent, but it might help if we know roughly hoe many *might* participate
[15:10] <stuartlewis> Perhaps we've aimed too high in the past with 4+ students? Maybe if we go for 2, or perhaps 3, we can all work together, to make sure we get some useful outputs we can get into the next release?
[15:11] <tdonohue> good point. maybe a smaller group would be good. I'm looking for suggestions from those of you who've been more involved with GSOC in the past (and I realize mdiggory is not in attendance to add his input as past GSOC admin)
[15:12] <tdonohue> ok...maybe this is best taken offline to dspace-devel to get more folks involved. We obviously need a group of potential mentors first. So, if any of you would like to mentor a student (or help co-mentor one), please let me know.
[15:13] <mhwood> I like the "all work together" aspect. I would feel more confident of my ability to contribute as part of a group than in a 1:1 mentoring relationship. But, how to prevent pulling the student this way and that?
[15:13] <stuartlewis> We could make GOSC part of the weekly meetings?
[15:13] <stuartlewis> 10 minutes with each student.
[15:13] * jtrimble (~jtrimble@maag127.maag.ysu.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:14] <tdonohue> stuartlewis: I think we could tack it on the end/beginning of weekly meetings. But, as we only have an hour, it might be hard in some meetings to spend that much time devoted to GSOC
[15:14] <tdonohue> but, I think we could do a 1/2 hr before or after the normal meeting to concentrate on GSOC (essentially extend the meeting to 1.5 hrs on those weeks)
[15:15] <tdonohue> if that seems reasonable..
[15:15] <stuartlewis> Yep - sounds good
[15:16] <tdonohue> ok...well, I'll table this for now and note that mhwood, stuartlewis and myself all seem interested (plus maybe richardrodgers)...we'll see if we can get more GSOC interest on dspace-devel
[15:17] <stuartlewis> Could we post it to dspace-general too, to try and get some non-developer input too?
[15:17] <richardrodgers> I'd also throw out the idea that there is no need to adhere to our past practice of mentor == comitter
[15:18] <stuartlewis> +1
[15:18] <mhwood> +1
[15:18] <tdonohue> good points on both parts. I think last year we had a few non-committers as mentors actually (unless I'm mistaken)
[15:19] <tdonohue> Speaking of "committers"...it's worth reminding everyone that *anyone* can recommend a new committer to add to our group. I'd like to keep us growing, so feel free to make suggestions for more people to add
[15:20] <stuartlewis> And people can recommend themselves too - we've had that happen in the past.
[15:21] <tdonohue> definitely! If you have suggestions, send them to myself, dspace-devel or dspace-commit (if you are a current committer)
[15:21] <tdonohue> any suggestions are welcome...the only real requirements are that (a) you will remain semi-active in DSpace work, and (b) you are interested & excited to join the group
[15:24] <stuartlewis> Should we put a formal call out for more committers?
[15:24] <tdonohue> Next Topic: Upcoming releases --- yes, I know we all want to take a nice long break after 1.6.0...but, there's already many new patches/features waiting to be added.
[15:24] <stuartlewis> Make it explicitly known we're on the lookout?
[15:24] <mhwood> Trunk is open again?
[15:24] <tdonohue> stuartlewis: yea..good idea on that.
[15:25] <stuartlewis> Before we open trunk, should we decide on the release process?
[15:25] <tdonohue> mhwood: actually, we need to branch (didn't get to that yet). 1.6.x branch for 1.6.1 (and subminor), and then trunk for 1.7
[15:25] <stuartlewis> Will 1.6.1 be just for bug fixes, in which case we branch
[15:26] * carynn (~80c8e115@gateway/web/freenode/x-fumpnijyqbkqtklv) has joined #duraspace
[15:27] <tdonohue> I'd like to suggest a general release process that we start to work towards 1.6.1 (bugs fixes only) and 1.7 (new features) somewhat simultaneously. Next week, we'll also have our first Special Topics Mtg to suggest new release process ideas -- but, I fully expect that process will take weeks/months to have final results, and I'd rather not wait that long
[15:27] <stuartlewis> If 1.6.1 will be bigger (like .x.y releases have been in the past) then branching hasn't tended to work as we never bother to apply to both trunk and branch.
[15:27] <stuartlewis> When we started on 1.6 we actually moved trunk to a branch, and moved the 1.5.x branch to trunk because this had happened.
[15:28] <tdonohue> do we want to do a quick decision on 1.6.1, so that we aren't holding up Trunk for new work, etc.?
[15:28] <stuartlewis> tdonohue: +1 (1.6.1 bug fixes only) (1.7 sooner rather than later)
[15:28] <mhwood> +1
[15:29] <richardrodgers> +1 small 1.6.1 1.7 soon
[15:29] <kshepherd> +1
[15:29] <carynn> +1
[15:29] <tdonohue> ok...that sounds pretty definitive then :) We'll create a 1.6.x branch today (for 1.6.1 work, bug fixes only), and open trunk back up for 1.7 work
[15:30] <richardrodgers> which *cough* raises the RC issue
[15:30] <tdonohue> someone want to create the branch?...I already have several email ToDos out of this meeting. :)
[15:30] <tdonohue> richardrodgers: you are one step ahead :)
[15:30] <stuartlewis> OK - will do it (unless anyone has a burning desire to do so?) My last act as RC.
[15:31] <tdonohue> thanks stuartlewis... sounds like a nice last act as RC
[15:31] <richardrodgers> a grateful community salutes you :)
[15:32] <tdonohue> So, that brings up the RC (Release Coordinator) question. If we are going to work on 1.6.1 (bug fixes only) and 1.7 (new features) simultaneously, then we need two RCs (one for each)
[15:32] <tdonohue> Would anyone like to try out the RC role (no experience necessary, and I'm always here as "backup support" if you need it)?
[15:33] <mhwood> Should that wait a bit until we have the release process worked out?
[15:33] <carynn> *she asks hesitantly* do we have any documentation about RC responsibilities?
[15:33] <stuartlewis> mhwood: +1, especially if we're going to try and get some non-devs more closely involved in the RC process.
[15:34] <tdonohue> mhwood: I think 1.6.1 doesn't need to wait at all...the RC can start immediately with any known bugs.
[15:34] <stuartlewis> carynn: You make it up as you go along! :) That's what I did anyway. We all have our own style.
[15:35] <mhwood> Next week we sould begin to give some shape to common expectations.
[15:35] <tdonohue> But, I think with 1.7, whoever is RC will have to be flexible. I'd like to hope we can start down the path of 1.7 a bit...but, with the understanding that the RC may end up with additional support or help (depending on what we decide going forward). If others disagree, let me know :)
[15:35] <stuartlewis> http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/ReleaseCoordinating
[15:35] <carynn> mhwood: that would be useful...
[15:37] <carynn> Would it be detrimental to wait a week to select a new rc? maybe add that to the agenda for next week, and decide that we'll decide then?
[15:38] <tdonohue> carynn: that's a good point. We could discuss 1.7 RC more then, based on any initial ideas coming from that meeting.
[15:38] <richardrodgers> No reason to decide immediately, we just wanted to raise the flag sooner rather than later
[15:38] <carynn> agreed - it would be better for everyone to have this decided sooner rather than later!
[15:39] <tdonohue> Ok, sounds reasonable.
[15:40] <richardrodgers> In particular, folks might need time to get employer on board.....
[15:41] <tdonohue> yep, makes perfect sense. Think about if any of you would like to be RC for 1.6.1 or help with 1.7. We can talk more about this next week at the first Special Topic Meeting
[15:41] <carynn> exactly! maybe a message to the listserv indicating that this opportunity is available - include a quick "this is what the responsibilities might look like (url stuart lewis provided)" - basically something that can be used in conversations with employers
[15:41] <mhwood> 1.6.1 doesn't need much coordination early on -- we already know it's to be bugfixes. The major work to go into trunk before branching a new-features release hasn't been worked out yet, but when it is then trunk will need someone guiding its development from the start.
[15:42] <tdonohue> mhwood: +1
[15:42] <stuartlewis> Just a side note: http://scm.dspace.org/svn/repo/dspace/branches/dspace-1_6_x/ is now created
[15:43] <tdonohue> thanks stuart!
[15:43] * stuartlewis will spend half an hour on http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/ReleaseCoordinating to try and make it more comprehensive (and attractive to potential RCs)
[15:44] <mhwood> More thanks.
[15:44] <richardrodgers> yep, mention the cars and free trips
[15:44] <tdonohue> awesome. thanks stuart!
[15:44] <carynn> richardrogers: see, now that's motivational
[15:44] <tdonohue> cars? wow...I need to get in on that
[15:45] <tdonohue> Ok, well beyond those topics, and mentioning the Special Topics Meeting on Release Process proposals next week (http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Proposals#Release_Cycle.2FProcess_Proposals), we've pretty much finished the agenda. Anything else to discuss?
[15:45] <stuartlewis> Big black ones, with a personal driver.
[15:46] * tdonohue thinks everyone just wants out early...to start the 1.6.0 party!
[15:47] <stuartlewis> Drinks are on me! Thanks for your help with the release - it has been a big community effort. I owe you all a drink (so will probably avoid you all at OR10!)
[15:48] * tdonohue will respond "Stuart Lewis? no...never heard of him." psst...Stuart, you owe me another drink
[15:48] <carynn> isn't that one of the other perks of the big black car with the driver? a quick getaway?
[15:49] <tdonohue> thanks Stuart, and everyone else. You helped us put out one heck of a release!
[15:50] <tdonohue> I'll call this meeting adjourned, and start drafting up my various emails about RC, GSOC, new committers, etc. Have a great week all!
[15:50] <jtrimble> Bye
[15:50] * jtrimble (~jtrimble@maag127.maag.ysu.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[15:50] <richardrodgers> thanks all, bye
[15:50] * richardrodgers (~richardro@pool-173-76-18-245.bstnma.fios.verizon.net) Quit (Quit: richardrodgers)
[15:50] <carynn> thnx everyone! l8r
[15:51] * carynn (~80c8e115@gateway/web/freenode/x-fumpnijyqbkqtklv) Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[15:51] <mhwood> bye, thanks!
[15:51] <stuartlewis> Thanks - bye!
[15:51] <kshepherd> cheers all
[15:54] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@dhcp-18-111-8-77.dyn.mit.edu) Quit (Quit: sandsfish)
[15:58] * keith-noadmin (~keith-noa@lib-kgilbertson.library.gatech.edu) Quit (Quit: keith-noadmin)
[16:10] * cccharles (~user@ has left #duraspace
[18:07] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[18:34] * grahamtriggs (~grahamtri@cpc1-stev6-2-0-cust340.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Quit: grahamtriggs)
[19:04] * noreply_ (~chatzilla@c-67-171-28-159.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[19:28] * noreply_ (~chatzilla@c-67-171-28-159.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.