#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2010-04-14

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:23] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-162-19-210.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[0:53] * stuartlewis_ (~stuartlew@ has joined #duraspace
[0:54] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[0:54] * stuartlewis_ is now known as stuartlewis
[1:02] * stuartlewis_ (~stuartlew@ has joined #duraspace
[1:03] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[1:03] * stuartlewis_ is now known as stuartlewis
[1:12] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[1:49] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ has joined #duraspace
[1:55] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ has joined #duraspace
[2:08] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) has left #duraspace
[2:09] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[2:27] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ has joined #duraspace
[3:41] * mdiggory_ (~mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[3:44] * mdiggory_ (~mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) has left #duraspace
[4:07] -hubbard.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[4:07] -hubbard.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[4:07] -hubbard.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[4:07] -hubbard.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[4:07] [frigg VERSION]
[4:07] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@fedcommsrv1.nsdlib.org) has joined #duraspace
[4:07] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://duraspace.org/irclogs/'
[4:07] * Set by cwilper on Tue Jun 30 16:32:05 EDT 2009
[4:17] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[5:14] * krnl_ (Andrius@ has joined #duraspace
[6:46] * grahamtriggs (~trig01@ has joined #duraspace
[7:59] * grahamtriggs (~trig01@ has left #duraspace
[8:58] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[9:21] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-162-19-210.clt.bellsouth.net) has joined #duraspace
[9:25] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[9:44] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[9:57] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[9:59] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[10:04] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[10:09] * scottatm (~scottatm@peat.evans.tamu.edu) has joined #duraspace
[10:10] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@cpe-66-74-212-9.san.res.rr.com) has left #duraspace
[10:10] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-162-19-210.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[10:13] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-162-19-210.clt.bellsouth.net) has joined #duraspace
[10:19] * grahamtriggs (~trig01@ has joined #duraspace
[11:44] * mcdonald (~admin@72-60-196-193.pools.spcsdns.net) has joined #duraspace
[12:00] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[12:05] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[12:34] * grahamtriggs (~trig01@ has left #duraspace
[12:53] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[13:34] * mcdonald (~admin@72-60-196-193.pools.spcsdns.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
[13:34] * mcdonald (~admin@173-145-75-181.pools.spcsdns.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:48] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[13:57] * mcdonald (~admin@173-145-75-181.pools.spcsdns.net) has left #duraspace
[14:59] * grahamtriggs (~grahamtri@cpc1-stev6-2-0-cust340.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:56] * cccharles (~cccharles@ has joined #duraspace
[15:56] <tdonohue> Hi all...we'll be starting the DSpace Developers Meeting here in a few minutes. General agenda at: http://wiki.dspace.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2010-04-14
[15:58] * PeterDietz (~PeterDiet@ACK5859s3.lib.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:58] * carynn (~cneiswen@c726.staff.lib.uci.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:58] * robint (~52292565@gateway/web/freenode/x-eohcxiikzzodgszy) has joined #duraspace
[15:59] * richardrodgers (~richardro@pool-173-76-18-245.bstnma.fios.verizon.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:00] * keithg (~keith-noa@lib-kgilbertson.library.gatech.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:00] <mdiggory> I'll need more coffee for this...
[16:00] <tdonohue> wow..it's not going to be that tough a meeting, mdiggory :)
[16:01] <tdonohue> ok..looks like most have arrived. General Agenda: http://wiki.dspace.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2010-04-14
[16:02] <tdonohue> First..a small update on GSOC. We ended up with 23 project applications -- only 6 currently have positive reviews (from 4 students). Google allocated us a max of 5 projects -- but, final project decisions are not announced till the 26th
[16:03] * kshepherd will brb in 5min or so
[16:03] <tdonohue> if you are interested in learning more...there's a private 'dspace-gsoc' mentors list on sourceforge -- any are welcome to join, provided you are not a GSOC student :)
[16:04] <tdonohue> (unfortunately, things have to be kept a bit 'hush-hush' until projects are officially accepted and approved, etc)
[16:05] <tdonohue> kshepherd just stepped out...so, we'll skip 1.6.1 updates for now
[16:05] <mdiggory> quite true. I need to verify that you just cannot "join" without the request coming to me. so if your interested do try to join
[16:05] <tdonohue> mdiggory: yea, people must be approved by you or I to join 'dspace-gsoc' list
[16:06] <tdonohue> FYI -- I've decided to try and keep a bit better notes on these meetings (mostly for my sanity of remembering what we decided or discussed). I wrote up a brief summary of last week's DSpace RoadMap special topics mtg: http://wiki.dspace.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2010-04-07
[16:07] <tdonohue> I don't have anything else to mention about that now...but, I will be working with the 2.0 Team to get us all better up-to-speed on the 2.0 prototype work (better docs & training for us all)
[16:08] <tdonohue> (that was the big take-away from the meeting -- too few of us truly understand the 2.0 work)
[16:09] <tdonohue> To help us all start to improve our documentation for each other (i.e. developer oriented docs), mdiggory and others have started a Modules area of the new wiki: http://wiki.dspace.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/Modules
[16:10] <tdonohue> If you have thoughts on making this area better, or can help us to document what all we have in our SVN, we are looking for help in all this -- mdiggory has given us a good start (thanks mdiggory!)
[16:10] <mdiggory> ;-)
[16:10] <tdonohue> (this is also a great resource for the new committers -- much better summary of where everything is in SVN, etc)
[16:11] <mdiggory> Confluence has some neat tools for organizing and viewing subpages. I'm highly recommending we use it where we can to manage the site documentation for separate modules
[16:12] <mdiggory> Likewise, non-commiteres can work on the material when appropriate, thank you PeterDietz
[16:12] <tdonohue> Yes -- good point on some of the power of Confluence. As an example, you may have noticed I've restructured our Developer Meeting pages: http://wiki.dspace.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/Developer+Meetings
[16:12] <tdonohue> We are still looking for help in cleaning things up, and restructuring our new wiki -- so, if you have time, please chip in and help out (contact me or Val if you have questions)
[16:13] <mdiggory> I don't see the grand "Mr. Trimble" in here yet today... But a "next topic" may be the DSpace Manual and its migration to the wiki
[16:13] <tdonohue> kshepherd, you back yet? I want to discuss 1.6.1 once you are back
[16:13] <kshepherd> yeah i'm pretty impressed with confluence so far
[16:13] <kshepherd> like the modules page
[16:13] <kshepherd> yep back for a bit, need to run to the office shortly
[16:14] <tdonohue> do we want to do a quick 1.6.1 update? are there issues that remain unassigned or need further help etc?
[16:14] <kshepherd> 1.6.1 update: haven't been writing as many patches myself as i'd hoped but this week will be less busy for me, so i think i'll get a bit more done
[16:15] <kshepherd> there are currently 25 unresolved unassigned issues classed as 'bug' that affect 1.6.0
[16:15] <mdiggory> we really need to get the rest of the dspace commandline stuff in... I've been getting hit with that repetedly
[16:15] <kshepherd> (i've made and shared a filter to match that query)
[16:15] <tdonohue> it looks like there are also 18 open issues currently assigned for 1.6.1: http://jira.dspace.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=10020&fixfor=10030
[16:16] <kshepherd> yep
[16:17] <kshepherd> would be interested in opinions on http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-527
[16:18] <kshepherd> (or we can save it for a JIRA review later)
[16:18] <tdonohue> yea -- I also have a JIRA review scheduled for the rest of this meeting (once we are done) -- so hopefully we can get to that and others
[16:18] <kshepherd> cool
[16:18] <mdiggory> On a tangent are we aware of the JIRA security issue that occured this week?
[16:19] <richardrodgers> defacers?
[16:19] <tdonohue> kshepherd -- should we put 1.6.1 on agenda for next week? Maybe review what open issues need volunteers, and get some volunteers to work on them?
[16:19] <kshepherd> so i don't have a great deal to report on 1.6.1 progress right now, i'll be concentrating on assigning issues over the next week and then lots of patching/committing/nudging the following week :)
[16:19] <kshepherd> tdonohue: yep sure, sounds good
[16:20] <mdiggory> no, trojan code that accesses user database :-(
[16:20] <richardrodgers> ouch
[16:20] <kshepherd> oh wow
[16:20] <kshepherd> did not see that
[16:20] <tdonohue> ok -- we'll add more 1.6.1 to next week's agenda
[16:20] <tdonohue> Yea...I heard that...here's a blog post on that JIRA attack: http://avatraxiom.livejournal.com/102080.html
[16:20] <mdiggory> Apache.org was seriously compromised
[16:20] <tdonohue> it affected Apache.org and Atlassian
[16:22] <tdonohue> Anything else to discuss today (mdiggory -- we do need to discuss docs on wiki, but need mr. trimble in attendance)?? Or should we move to a much needed JIRA review?
[16:22] <mdiggory> bring it on...
[16:22] <kshepherd> i need to be in the office in 8 minutes so i'm just going to zip over there quickly, then reattach
[16:23] <tdonohue> kshepherd -- sounds good...we'll get started on JIRA in meantime
[16:23] <tdonohue> Ok...for JIRA review, we last reviewed DS-496: Here's a list of recent open issues that haven't been reviewed in a Devel Mtg: http://jira.dspace.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10020&resolution=-1&created%3Aprevious=-8w&status=1&assigneeSelect=&sorter/field=created&sorter/order=ASC
[16:24] <tdonohue> So, we start with: "Date month and day get default values when user returns to describe form" http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-497
[16:26] <tdonohue> (Oh, should mention for those who are newer to this JIRA cleanup...summary at: http://fedora-commons.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/JIRA+Cleanup+Sessions )
[16:27] <mdiggory> When does the reviewer go through the describe step submission wf?
[16:27] <mdiggory> not groking last sentance
[16:27] <mdiggory> When a user returns to the first describe form for a previously published item that has only the publication year filled out, the date month and day get default values of January 1st. The same thing happens when the item has to go through the workflow and the metadata editor visits the first describe page.
[16:28] <tdonohue> oh...I think it's saying that whenever you return to the first "describe page" (metadata entry page), if you hadn't previously filled out a month and day, it ends up defaulting to Jan 1
[16:28] <mdiggory> right. I assume that is Date parsing behavior
[16:29] <richardrodgers> Is this new in 1.6?
[16:29] <tdonohue> not sure... I haven't had time to confirm it
[16:29] <richardrodgers> or just not yet reported?
[16:29] <tdonohue> it might actually be the latter -- I'd be surprised if this was totally new
[16:30] <richardrodgers> cause if the former, should be not too bad to fix
[16:30] <tdonohue> any volunteers to followup and confirm this behavior?
[16:30] <robint> I am happy to dip my toe in the water
[16:30] <richardrodgers> good man y'are
[16:31] <tdonohue> Ok...you got it robint! Robint will take lead on DS-497 confirmation
[16:31] <tdonohue> Skipping DS-498 -- This is a Documentation issue and stuart already has it
[16:32] <tdonohue> CLONE -dspace 1.5.2, the bug is occur when the DSpace installation package by running from commandline from C:\dspace-1.5.2-src-release\dspace>mvn package - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-499
[16:32] <tdonohue> hmmm...that should not even been in JIRA, I believe? that should've been posted to email list
[16:33] <tdonohue> DS-499: Close issue and request that reporter email dspace-tech for further help.
[16:33] <tdonohue> DS-500: Ukrainian for DSpace 1.6.0 -- will assign to Claudia
[16:34] <tdonohue> OK, finally one to review again: Kubrick Theme - NaN in Item Browse - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-501
[16:35] <mdiggory> DS-499... smells like FAQ Question by now
[16:35] <tdonohue> mdiggory: wanna add it to the FAQ then?
[16:36] <mdiggory> what an excellent idea tdonohue !
[16:36] <tdonohue> DS-501 sounds potentially related to DS-497? robint do you want to look into this on at same time?
[16:36] <mdiggory> Do we have one?
[16:36] <tdonohue> mdiggory: http://wiki.dspace.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/TechnicalFaq
[16:37] <robint> Ok, I will assign to me
[16:37] <tdonohue> ok, thanks! robint will also look at DS-501
[16:37] <tdonohue> java.lang.NullPointerException on main page in xmlui without trailing slash - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-502
[16:38] <richardrodgers> kind of unusual stack (resin, etc)
[16:38] <tdonohue> hmm...DS-502 sounds like a config problem maybe?? the Demo Site works fine without a trailing slash: http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui
[16:38] <tdonohue> any ideas on DS-502?
[16:38] <mdiggory> smells like configuration
[16:39] <mdiggory> who uses Resin?
[16:39] <richardrodgers> he does, apparently :)
[16:39] <mdiggory> thats a very low level spring error
[16:39] <tdonohue> volunteer? sounds like we just need to contact the reporter and let him know we cannot replicate it with Tomcat & it may be a config problem...
[16:40] <PeterDietz> maybe we can comment that we would like him to enable debug in log4j, and see if there is more info
[16:40] <tdonohue> sounds like a good thought, PeterDietz -- is that you volunteering? (nudge nudge)
[16:40] <mdiggory> Yes, the other choice is for someone to run a test in Resin
[16:41] <mdiggory> which would amount to the same... want to know much more about their configuration.
[16:41] <grahamtriggs> It's possible that Tomcat is masking a problem, rather than Resin creating one
[16:41] <mdiggory> they need to document how they are mapping in resin
[16:42] <mdiggory> is this xmlui, ROOT, or configured path
[16:42] <tdonohue> well, I'll admit, I've never used resin...anyone have some Resin knowledge they can pull from?
[16:42] <mdiggory> oh it xmlui, sorry
[16:42] * kshepherd returns
[16:42] <PeterDietz> i don't use resin, but I can follow up to the post
[16:42] <mdiggory> Agree with PeterDietz they need to provide more detail before I'll bite
[16:43] <richardrodgers> i an odd historical quirk, DSpace was first launched with Resin....
[16:43] <tdonohue> ok, DS-502 -- assign to PeterDietz for followup. with more details we can re-review as needed
[16:43] <tdonohue> Create the ability to use a secure "loginURL" using the adminstrative web interface. - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-503
[16:44] <richardrodgers> feature request, yes?
[16:44] <tdonohue> yep...feature request, which I don't really understand
[16:44] <mdiggory> ??
[16:45] <mdiggory> XMLUI does this already
[16:45] <mdiggory> with force https
[16:45] <richardrodgers> get back to reporter for more details?
[16:45] <tdonohue> yea...mdiggory, you want to followup and say that?
[16:45] <mdiggory> of course you have to be smart enough to know how to setup https
[16:46] * mdiggory opse, did I just say that in a publicly logged IRC channel
[16:46] <tdonohue> assign DS-503 to mdiggory for followup & ask for more details?
[16:46] <mdiggory> sorry
[16:46] <mdiggory> thats my pentanance
[16:47] <tdonohue> yes it is ;)
[16:47] <tdonohue> Dspace 1.5 installation on Windows XP encounter problem when mvn package - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-504
[16:47] <tdonohue> ack...DS-504 is another issue that should have gone to dspace-tech. I'll followup and let reporter know that
[16:48] <kshepherd> yeh
[16:48] <kshepherd> looks like proxy issues or not using -U for the first mvn run perhaps
[16:48] <mdiggory> same as 499
[16:48] <tdonohue> yep. assign DS-504 to tdonohue for followup
[16:48] <tdonohue> and I"ll take DS-499 too
[16:48] <tdonohue> HTML stripped from <hint> text in input-forms.xml - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-505
[16:49] <grahamtriggs> mdiggory: does the force option in xmlui allow you to go to a secure form for the authentication procedure, and then back to normal browsing whilst logged in... does it force https for duration of login... or does it make all requests go https?
[16:50] <kshepherd> i remember talking with carynn about this a bit
[16:50] <carynn> yah, sorry, i'm lurking here...
[16:50] <mdiggory> just authenticated sessions
[16:50] <tdonohue> hmmm...DS-505 sounds like it may actually be an improvement/feature request? is this really a bug, or is it just not acting as expected?
[16:50] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ has joined #duraspace
[16:50] <tdonohue> hi carynn
[16:51] <carynn> i wasn't sure if it was intended to be text only, of if it should be a new feature request...
[16:51] <mdiggory> do not like the idea of html in labels
[16:51] <mdiggory> especially if they are used as html "labels"
[16:51] <richardrodgers> yea, I'm not clear on whether it's stock DSpace or custom code...
[16:51] <tdonohue> it's definitely stock, out-of-the-box dspace
[16:52] <carynn> if you're using it as helper text, it can be nice (iow, point to a url within the gray text below a dropdown for the "war and peace" version, instead of "cliff's note")
[16:52] <grahamtriggs> the hints aren't labels - it's explanatory text... and it's very useful to have html, for basic formatting - italics, bold - and linking to longer descriptions in the help
[16:52] <kshepherd> don't have to allow full html
[16:52] <kshepherd> i'm sure links would be useful for people, to direct users to help pages etc
[16:52] <mdiggory> ok ok...
[16:52] <carynn> exactly - hints are the lines of text that explain what the field is for
[16:52] <carynn> :)
[16:52] <mdiggory> XMLUI limits your ability to use html in content/DRI
[16:53] <mdiggory> shortcoming or feature... is a matter of perspective
[16:53] <tdonohue> yea, it makes sense to allow HTML -- it just sounds like the initial developers (likely Texas Digital Library who built Manakin) removed it cause of past problems
[16:53] <kshepherd> i haven't investigated it too much more than that initial caveat in DescribeStep
[16:53] <mdiggory> mixing presentation and content...
[16:53] <tdonohue> Any volunteers to look at this? see how hard it would be? (I have no idea)
[16:54] <mdiggory> carynn: did you try using dri tags?
[16:54] <mdiggory> dri:p etc, with appropriate namespace
[16:54] <carynn> didn't try that... you mean within the tag in the input-forms.xml?
[16:55] <grahamtriggs> If it hasn't been picked up before then, I expect I'll do something with it before the next major release - but I won't be going anywhere near it in the next couple of months
[16:55] <mdiggory> why not ;-)
[16:55] <tdonohue> ok...assign DS-505 to grahamtriggs for further investigation -- others are welcome to help
[16:56] <tdonohue> Log Converter difference between docs (log-converter) and launcher (stats-log-converter) - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-507
[16:57] <tdonohue> oh..this is a docs issue -- looks like DS-507 should just be assigned to jtrimble (since PeterDietz documented what needs to be changed)
[16:57] <PeterDietz> so I would wonder what would be the preferred wording be.. go with code, or go with docs
[16:57] <PeterDietz> log-converter or stats-log-converter
[16:57] <mdiggory> go with code... fix the docs
[16:57] <PeterDietz> I would say the code is worded best
[16:58] <tdonohue> yea, I like the code -- it's a log converter *for* stats...so stats-log-converter
[16:58] <mdiggory> chose stats-log-converter to prefix all stats related functions together
[16:58] * scottatm (~scottatm@peat.evans.tamu.edu) has left #duraspace
[16:58] <tdonohue> Retrieving country names in SOLR can return ArrayIndexOutOfBounds when country code is unchecked - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-509
[16:58] <tdonohue> PeterDietz -- do you need help/feedback on DS-509? I see you already have it assigned
[16:59] <mdiggory> good catch... need to review why bad country codes get in there
[16:59] <mdiggory> have to remember we are working with teh GeoIP db
[16:59] <PeterDietz> yeah i think the only pause i had was why did the unknowns make it in in the first place
[16:59] <kshepherd> PeterDietz: i cheekily assigned that to you just after you left yesterday ;) it looked like your patch is all good to go..
[17:00] <mdiggory> ponder if that has some garbage of variants in it
[17:00] <PeterDietz> but graceful error handling is a safe way to go
[17:00] <tdonohue> yea, I think the fix looks good to me as well (at a glance)
[17:01] <mdiggory> not internationalized...
[17:01] <PeterDietz> ohh that was right
[17:01] <tdonohue> Ok...we are at top of the hour. Do we stop now, or is there a small group that wants to continue JIRA review?
[17:01] <richardrodgers> how many more to be current?
[17:01] <mdiggory> Ponders if theres any Locale i18n default for this in java
[17:02] <tdonohue> richardrodgers: unfortunately too many ~30. We are way behind as this has fallen by the wayside in recent weeks
[17:02] <stuartlewis> richardrodgers: Another 40 or so
[17:02] <richardrodgers> ouch - maybe do a special session next time to retire them?
[17:02] <PeterDietz> I can keep on keepin' on with reviewing, especially since we'll want to choose what makes the cut into 1.6.1 sooner than later
[17:03] <PeterDietz> although no do enough to kill all 40
[17:03] <mdiggory> Yep, there sure is... do not even need this class anymore... http://www.java2s.com/Code/Java/I18N/Getalistofcountrynames.htm
[17:03] <PeterDietz> i18n(whatever i just said) == although not enough time to review all 40
[17:04] <tdonohue> ok...we'll keep going on JIRA for another 15mins or so --- Officially, the meeting is closed, so feel free to leave if you have to leave
[17:04] <robint> I have to duck out, sorry
[17:04] <tdonohue> Next one: Streamline UI for community/collection role assignment - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-510
[17:04] <richardrodgers> gotta go, thanks all
[17:04] * richardrodgers (~richardro@pool-173-76-18-245.bstnma.fios.verizon.net) Quit (Quit: richardrodgers)
[17:05] <tdonohue> DS-510 is obviously a new feature request....do we like this idea? thoughts?
[17:05] <stuartlewis> 510: Several requests listed in that issue. Perhaps better split up?
[17:05] <carynn> in our instance of dspace, i actually assign a "shortname" to all communities and /or collections, and then use that in a group name...
[17:06] <grahamtriggs> possible feature for next major, but a bit early to say it will be done
[17:06] <tdonohue> stuartlewis: if you see logical split points feel free to split up...I was trying to decide if these were interrelated
[17:06] <carynn> grahamtriggs: agreed - there are ways around this for repo mgrs...
[17:07] <tdonohue> ok..DS-510 we'll leave unassigned and mark as potential for 1.7. May need further splitting up
[17:07] <stuartlewis> They are related, but could possibly be split into smaller tasks, that was all.
[17:07] <tdonohue> Another new request: Combine eperson and groups search in Assign Roles page - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-511
[17:07] <carynn> perhaps something we can document current solutions, just to get the immediate satisfaction
[17:08] <carynn> ds-511 would be nice!
[17:08] <mdiggory> Would like to see the elimination of a "groupname" mirroring collection roles.
[17:09] <stuartlewis> 511: Would this get tricky with pagination?
[17:09] <tdonohue> hard to say -- but it could be worth investigating further
[17:10] <carynn> could we default to show both epeople and egroups, then use the bottons to say "only epeople" and "only groups"?
[17:11] <tdonohue> Ok...we'll move on here (trying to keep moving forward). I'll leave DS-511 unassigned for now
[17:11] <tdonohue> about chinaese jspui - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-512
[17:11] <mdiggory> I don't really see a need to go here...511, its a non-starter for me with all the other things that need to happen these days
[17:12] <mdiggory> nice
[17:12] <tdonohue> mdiggory: to me DS-511 is more of a usability issue -- the interface is note as nice as it could be.
[17:13] <stuartlewis> 512: Do we need to ask what exactly is wrong? It looks like it might just be some missing keys?
[17:13] <tdonohue> any ideas on DS-512? should I lump this in with others that probably should go to dspace-tech? I can followup and ask for more info and suggest asking for further help on dspace-tech
[17:13] <mdiggory> firstly, it looks like his browser isn't supporting the character set or something
[17:14] <mdiggory> or its the jspui butchering the encoding
[17:14] <tdonohue> DS-512 : assign to tdonohue for followup -- need more info. suggest emailing dspace-tech
[17:14] <tdonohue> Need to remove all release repository and pluginRepository entries from Maven poms. - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-514
[17:15] <mdiggory> thats me...
[17:15] <tdonohue> need any feedback, mdiggory?
[17:15] <mdiggory> We are migrating to the sonatype repository... this is a catchall... there will need to be some other changes
[17:16] <mdiggory> not really, just need to have a place to start tracking/documenting
[17:16] <tdonohue> ok...we'll set this one aside for now & table the discussion until later
[17:16] <tdonohue> DSRUN does not start Service Manager - http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-516
[17:17] <mdiggory> thats a big one
[17:17] <mdiggory> we need to finish this out and either remove the shell scripts or adjust them. mostly this just needs commiting
[17:18] <tdonohue> right. sounds like removing the shell scripts may be best
[17:18] <tdonohue> should we remove in 1.6.1, or just mark obsolete in 1.6.1 (and officially remove in 1.7)? any thoughts?
[17:19] <PeterDietz> its confusing to see them there, especially since all functionality is also done by ./dspace
[17:19] <mdiggory> need to be fixed or go away, I've even got devs scratching their heads about why their shell scripts arn't working
[17:20] <mdiggory> problem is that for some, they may have created their own new ones or have code dependent on the dsrun script
[17:21] <mdiggory> suggest twofold attack
[17:21] <mdiggory> 1.) make sure dsrun calls "dspace dsrun"
[17:21] <mdiggory> 2.) remove all the rest of the scripts
[17:21] <mdiggory> but dsrun and dspace
[17:21] <stuartlewis> Deprecate in 161, and remove in 1.7? +1
[17:22] <mdiggory> as long as the rest of the scripts "work" in 1.6.1
[17:22] <stuartlewis> Assign to me if you want, and I'll get them removed. I've also written a patch that allows the equivalent of dsrun via the launcher: [dspace]/bin/dspace dsrun {class}
[17:22] <stuartlewis> Gotta run. Bye.
[17:22] <tdonohue> ok, assign DS-516 to stuartlewis ....
[17:22] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[17:22] <mdiggory> I just voting to keep the dsrun script around because there will be external dependencies on it
[17:23] <tdonohue> yep. I agree with your approach mdiggory. keep the dsrun script around for at least 1.6.1. But, perhaps think about removing it for 1.7 (if we decide we can present a "migration strategy" for those using it)
[17:24] <tdonohue> ok...we'll stop at DS-516. I'm going to have to go here shortly as well. We'll try for another major JIRA review next week to fully catch up
[17:24] <mdiggory> likewise
[17:24] <tdonohue> thanks all!
[17:24] <kshepherd> cheers all
[17:27] * PeterDietz (~PeterDiet@ACK5859s3.lib.ohio-state.edu) has left #duraspace
[17:27] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-162-19-210.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[17:29] * robint (~52292565@gateway/web/freenode/x-eohcxiikzzodgszy) Quit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
[17:30] * carynn (~cneiswen@c726.staff.lib.uci.edu) has left #duraspace
[17:30] * keithg (~keith-noa@lib-kgilbertson.library.gatech.edu) Quit (Quit: keithg)
[18:11] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[18:11] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[18:18] * grahamtriggs (~grahamtri@cpc1-stev6-2-0-cust340.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Quit: grahamtriggs)
[19:23] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ has joined #duraspace
[19:46] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-162-19-210.clt.bellsouth.net) has joined #duraspace
[19:48] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[20:29] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ has joined #duraspace
[20:43] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[20:53] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ has joined #duraspace
[20:55] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[21:00] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[22:08] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@ Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[23:59] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-162-19-210.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.