#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2010-05-12

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:00] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[0:32] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[4:06] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[4:06] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[4:06] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[4:06] -leguin.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[4:06] [frigg VERSION]
[4:06] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@fedcommsrv1.nsdlib.org) has joined #duraspace
[4:06] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://duraspace.org/irclogs/'
[4:06] * Set by cwilper on Tue Jun 30 16:32:05 EDT 2009
[4:18] * pvillega (~pvillega@ has joined #duraspace
[4:20] * pvillega (~pvillega@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[4:20] * pvillega_ (~pvillega@ has joined #duraspace
[4:59] * Davetaz (~dt302@2001:630:d0:f111:230:48ff:fe72:7d08) Quit (Read error: Operation timed out)
[5:03] * Davetaz (~dt302@2001:630:d0:f111:230:48ff:fe72:7d08) has joined #duraspace
[7:01] * pvillega_ (~pvillega@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[7:01] * pvillega__ (~pvillega@ has joined #duraspace
[7:13] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[8:06] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[9:29] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[9:34] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[10:26] * pvillega (~pvillega@ has joined #duraspace
[10:30] * pvillega__ (~pvillega@ Quit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
[10:38] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[11:03] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[12:40] * pvillega (~pvillega@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[15:01] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[15:02] * carynn (~cneiswen@c726.staff.lib.uci.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:12] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:37] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[15:43] * robint_ (~52292565@gateway/web/freenode/x-eadcnsknpfuhzjrm) has joined #duraspace
[15:44] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[15:57] * PeterDietz (~PeterDiet@ACK5859s3.lib.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:00] <tdonohue> Hi all -- about to get started with the DSpace Dev Mtg here. Here's the agenda: http://fedora-commons.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2010-05-12
[16:01] <tdonohue> For those who are committers, I need to get a headcount for who will be able to attend the face-to-face committers mtg in Madrid (before OR10) on July 5.
[16:01] <tdonohue> (headcount is necessary cause they may be providing us with lunch or tapas)
[16:02] * richardrodgers (~richardro@dhcp-18-111-30-22.dyn.mit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:02] <tdonohue> So, either respond here, or send me an email if you *will* be able to attend OR10 and our committers mtg there
[16:02] <PeterDietz> PeterDietz, will be there
[16:02] <richardrodgers> tdonohue: I will be there
[16:03] * robint_ (~52292565@gateway/web/freenode/x-eadcnsknpfuhzjrm) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[16:03] <tdonohue> excellent. thanks.
[16:04] <tdonohue> kshepherd, do you have any 1.6.1 updates for us today? Looks like we are getting close!
[16:04] * robint_ (~52292565@gateway/web/freenode/x-zkkqtjbsxictjoau) has joined #duraspace
[16:06] <tdonohue> (hmm...seems as if kshepherd is not available right now)
[16:06] <PeterDietz> I'll likely be posting more bugs to solr Null Pointer Exception errors.. Nothing severe, mostly just QA stuff
[16:07] <tdonohue> reminder, 1.6.1 Code Freeze is Friday (May 14) -- any fixes not in by then will have to wait
[16:07] <tdonohue> PeterDietz -- yea, I saw you mentioned that in #dspace. Those basic NPE fixes would be great to get in
[16:08] <tdonohue> Does anyone have thoughts on how to organize testing 1.6.1 next week? We do have http://demo.dspace.org if we wanted to do some centralized testing (and even advertise that community members can help out).
[16:09] * keithg (~keith-noa@lib-kgilbertson.library.gatech.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:09] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[16:09] <tdonohue> ah crap, wouldn't you know it -- I link to demo.dspace.org and find out it's down ;)
[16:10] <tdonohue> hi keithg, mdiggory: agenda here: http://fedora-commons.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2010-05-12
[16:10] <tdonohue> (we're on 1.6.1 discussion)
[16:10] <mdiggory> I see that
[16:11] <PeterDietz> I'm not sure how logistics would work, but I was kind of thinking having demo.dspace.org would be a useful source of "sample data", so that developers working on a feature can say this fixes this, and to test it, pull the latest sample data off of demo, and test against that
[16:12] <PeterDietz> so if pulling DB/log/assetstore dumps were easy, a developer could load that in their system. I currently test against a snapshot of my institutions production
[16:12] <mdiggory> I just worry about people sticking in passwords in the accounts
[16:13] <tdonohue> hmmm... demo.dspace.org is not really currently setup to allow you to pull down DB/log/assetstore -- though, as committers, I am willing to give you server-level access
[16:13] <kshepherd> hi all, sorry i'm late
[16:14] <mdiggory> What I'd like to see is a hudson instance with a working directory exposed in the build plan.
[16:14] <tdonohue> (reminds me -- I owe mdiggory server level access, as he requested -- send me an email if others want access to demo.dspace.org server)
[16:14] <mdiggory> tdonohue: Did I respond to you to get access?
[16:14] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- yea, you did -- it's just sitting in my inbox
[16:15] <mdiggory> K, I leave a lot sitting in drafts and always forget if I sent things or not...
[16:15] <tdonohue> hi kshepherd -- did you have any other 1.6.1 updates for us? we were discussing some testing strategies, etc
[16:15] <kshepherd> 1.6.1 Update: just 17 open issues with 1.6.1 as fix version right now, a few of those due to be pushed back, a few patches still to be submitted, and mostly documentation issues that Jeff is looking at this week
[16:15] <kshepherd> i think we're looking pretty good
[16:16] <PeterDietz> mdiggory, Gmail + labs multiple inboxes + is:draft .. Solved my did I leave that in draft problem
[16:16] <mdiggory> I do have a question per the new issue I created http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-577
[16:16] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- go ahead on DS-577
[16:17] <mdiggory> This is a modification of the dependencies for cocoon and a change of in the Servlet used in XMLUI... I've tested it locally with success. The point of the fix is to get cocoon blocks working properly
[16:17] <mdiggory> which do not work properly in 1.6.0
[16:18] <mdiggory> but my question concerns issues with the outputstreams in XMLUI not closing properly... I have no way of testing that
[16:20] <mdiggory> That occured back with http://jira.dspace.org/jira/browse/DS-253
[16:20] <mdiggory> What I've basically done is implement Larry's patch to Cocoon
[16:21] <mdiggory> So, if we apply this... do we have anyone willing/capable of testing it?
[16:22] <tdonohue> what sort of testing are you looking for exactly? still not sure i'm 100% clear on this
[16:22] <mdiggory> load testing
[16:23] <tdonohue> oh...I see. so, pointing JMeter or something at it could do the trick, perhaps?
[16:23] <mdiggory> hmm. perhaps Flavio Botelho culd fire up his jmeter test
[16:24] <mdiggory> yes, may be even able to replicate on demo or locally... true
[16:24] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[16:25] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[16:25] * mdiggory goes off to his workshop...
[16:25] <keithg> if someone will share a jmeter script, i can run it from here as well simultaneously
[16:26] <keithg> big network, and all of the students are gone
[16:26] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- have you tested this DS-577 in a production scenario already? it might be good to do even some basic jmeter tests prior to releasing in 1.6.1 (if that'd be possible) -- just wondering if this could cause other problems somewhere
[16:26] <mdiggory> I'll test this before commiting, then maybe we can add it to the test-a-thon agenda for next week
[16:26] <tdonohue> ok, sounds good (that answered my question)
[16:27] <tdonohue> Any other comments/questions on 1.6.1? Are we happy with just doing testing on our own and on demo.dspace.org?
[16:28] <mdiggory> Just a pile if tickets I need to go through by Fri....
[16:28] <kshepherd> i think that will be fine.. the list of changes isn't so long, I plan to just systematically test them all
[16:29] <tdonohue> sounds like a plan, then
[16:29] <kshepherd> i'm reopening DS-579 since it looks like it needs committing to trunk, too
[16:30] <kshepherd> i didn't even notice it until i saw the changelog email.. kinda got snuck in there :P
[16:30] <tdonohue> ok -- next agenda item, as committers are aware, I wrote up a "Guidelines for Committing" http://wiki.dspace.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/Guidelines+for+Committing I didn't get much response/feedback on these
[16:30] <mdiggory> Ok, pass that back at Ben.
[16:30] <tdonohue> sounds good, kshepherd
[16:31] <keithg> +1 on guidelines - but i wanted to note that I think I've "lost" issues before by using inappropriate version numbers in the JIRA tickets
[16:31] <kshepherd> mdiggory: do you think we're OK for timing on the issues assigned to you?
[16:33] <mdiggory> Yes, I'm pushing a couple out to 1.7
[16:33] <kshepherd> mdiggory: oh, also, i made a user on that hosted fisheye/crucible service.. http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/user/kshepherd -- it's mapped my username to my dspace committer username, but do i need to be associated with the dspace project as well?
[16:35] <mhwood> Guidelines look good to me.
[16:35] <kshepherd> keithg: fix versions or "affects" versions?
[16:35] <kshepherd> yeah i liked the guidelines last time, and i still like them ;)
[16:35] <keithg> I think I was confused about what the "fix versions" meant
[16:35] <mdiggory> kshepherd: arn't you?
[16:36] <tdonohue> Ok -- that's good...glad to hear the guidelines sound good -- if any has comments/changes/disagrees, please let me know. Otherwise, we'll let these stand as our current best practices
[16:36] <mdiggory> do you mean in jira or fisheye/crucible
[16:36] <kshepherd> mdiggory: "You aren't part of any projects" is what it tells me
[16:36] <mdiggory> can't you add yourself to the dspace project there?
[16:36] <kshepherd> in fisheye/crucible
[16:36] <kshepherd> i haven't actually tried a mock code review yet
[16:37] <kshepherd> seems to require an admin to add me
[16:37] * tdonohue is pausing for a moment to let kshepherd & mdiggory catch up ;)
[16:37] <kshepherd> sorry
[16:39] <tdonohue> it's alright -- no problem
[16:39] <kshepherd> keithg's touched on a good point.. should we write up some more specific "JIRA Best Practices" as well, to go along with these guidelines?
[16:40] <tdonohue> that sounds like a good idea. Any volunteers to take that on? (doesn't need to be this or next week, obviously, as I know everyone is busy with 1.6.1)
[16:40] <keithg> might be a good idea as more committers with varying levels of experience come on
[16:40] <kshepherd> indeed..
[16:40] <robint_> I will volunteer
[16:40] <kshepherd> cool :)
[16:40] <tdonohue> thanks robint_!
[16:40] <robint_> The idiots guide :)
[16:40] <keithg> thank you
[16:40] <keithg> :)
[16:41] <kshepherd> robint_: btw, i just saw your email about jira lifecycle
[16:41] <robint_> Great minds think alike
[16:41] <tdonohue> Ok...are we ready to move on to "Docs to Confluence" discussion? :)
[16:42] <tdonohue> (not trying to stop this discussion -- but just noticing we only have ~20mins left)
[16:43] <keithg> would the confluence docs replace the pdf manual that comes with the release?
[16:43] <mdiggory> not much to discuss... one last round of docbook... then port them one last time to confluence and remove those sources.
[16:43] <mdiggory> pdf manual would be generated from confluence and included in the release
[16:44] <keithg> ok
[16:44] <tdonohue> keithg: yes, there's a sample PDF generation at the top of mdiggory's Confluence test: http://fedora-commons.org/confluence/display/DSTEST/Home
[16:44] <mdiggory> all the extranious formats / sources would be removed fromt he svn source tree
[16:44] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- I wasn't sure if we ever made a final decision (i.e. vote) on officially moving all docs to Confluence as of 1.7.0?
[16:45] <mdiggory> ok, true, then I'm just proposing the "above" as a strategy
[16:46] <tdonohue> I also wanted to open up this idea to any other questions -- essentially, mdiggory & jtrimble have been working on this ongoing for a while -- they both seem in favor (as am I) -- but, I wanted to get thoughts/comments/questions from everyone else
[16:46] <mdiggory> See as target examples, what we are heading towards.
[16:46] <mdiggory> http://fedora-commons.org/confluence/display/FCR30/Fedora+Repository+3.3+Documentation
[16:46] <tdonohue> more info on our agenda: http://fedora-commons.org/confluence/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2010-05-12
[16:46] <carynn> this is actually very cool - we will be able to actually search the web version and find the content pertinent to a particular question!
[16:47] <tdonohue> carynn -- exactly
[16:47] <keithg> I think this will simplify adding documentation for new features
[16:47] <tdonohue> another benefit is this puts less weight on Jeff Trimble as the "docu guru" -- more people could edit the docs directly, and jeff can just act as an editor
[16:48] <kshepherd> yeh
[16:48] <mdiggory> tdonohue: +1
[16:48] <carynn> so, will anyone with a confluence account be able to add content?
[16:48] <carynn> do we have a workflow for review yet?
[16:48] * kshepherd has to go soon
[16:48] <mhwood> Sad to see DocBook go...I've tried all sorts of gooey text editors over the years and hated every one. Text+GUI just don't seem to go together.
[16:48] <mdiggory> carynn: its a closed group, not all confluence users
[16:48] <tdonohue> carynn -- no, the current plan is that only "trusted individuals" will be able to edit the official documentation area
[16:49] <tdonohue> "trusted individuals" = committers + anyone else we trust in the community to not add spam ;)
[16:49] <mdiggory> but, suggest allowing "comments" from all confluence users
[16:49] <carynn> got it - and i'm assuming there will be some documentation about how to join the trusted group
[16:49] <carynn> mdiggory: +1, particularly if the comments are vetted
[16:49] <mdiggory> carynn: I will pass you the secret handshake at our first regional code4lib meeting
[16:49] <tdonohue> carynn -- yea, that's something we'll still have to work out -- what the real workflow is to get into that group, and how others could even help jtrimble with editing, etc
[16:50] <carynn> mdiggory: sounds like a plan :-D
[16:50] <mhwood> Hey, I've done a little doc editing too. "No [coding] job is finished until the paperwork is done."
[16:51] <tdonohue> mhwood: understand your sadness about DocBook -- but, I think Confluence is just going to be easier for us all (and Jeff especially)
[16:51] <mdiggory> I was hoping for a reviewer workflow plugin for confluence... there are a few to look at... but that may be overkill
[16:52] <tdonohue> mdiggory, I think that's overkill right now -- we probably just want the editors to "watch" the official docs for changes (and be notified via RSS or Email, as is in out-of-the-box Confluence)
[16:52] <mdiggory> Its important to recognize that we are trying to reduce the effort needed to get from "Wiki" to "Manual"
[16:52] <tdonohue> yep..agreed
[16:53] <mdiggory> And if a user can create their own wiki pages in the DSpace wiki space, once they pass through an editorial review, they can just be move directly into the documentation confluence space
[16:53] <mdiggory> retaining all their history
[16:53] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[16:53] <tdonohue> yep -- exactly -- it does make it easier to move docs from the DSpace Wiki to the official docs
[16:54] <tdonohue> Any other thoughts/questions/agenda items? We're running short on time here -- and yet again, JIRA reviews are falling by the wayside :(
[16:54] <mdiggory> The vision I have is that this will provide not just a better place to do official documentation, but allow a means to cleanup the old wiki space as well.
[16:55] <robint_> Got to go. Cheers.
[16:57] * richardrodgers (~richardro@dhcp-18-111-30-22.dyn.mit.edu) Quit (Quit: richardrodgers)
[16:57] <tdonohue> Ok -- all is quiet. I guess we can wrap things up here.
[16:58] <tdonohue> so, official meeting is closed -- looking forward to 1.6.1!
[16:58] * richardrodgers (~richardro@dhcp-18-111-30-22.dyn.mit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:59] <tdonohue> richardrodgers: fyi -- I just closed the mtg
[16:59] * richardrodgers_ (~richardro@dhcp-18-111-30-22.dyn.mit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:59] * richardrodgers (~richardro@dhcp-18-111-30-22.dyn.mit.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[16:59] * richardrodgers_ is now known as richardrodgers
[17:00] <kshepherd> seems like jira reviews need their own special timeslot instead of being "Other Business" in the main meetings :/
[17:01] * richardrodgers (~richardro@dhcp-18-111-30-22.dyn.mit.edu) Quit (Client Quit)
[17:02] <tdonohue> kshepherd -- yea, I've been thinking about that as well -- either that, or we need a new JIRA workflow
[17:03] <tdonohue> for instance, just found out recently that Fedora folks have a custom JIRA step *before* "Open" -- It's called "Received", and it just means it's in the system but no one has reviewed it yet: http://fedora-commons.org/jira/browse/FCREPO
[17:03] <kshepherd> i've been concentrating on "fix for 1.6.1" issues that i haven't been keeping up with the very latest unassigned issues
[17:04] <tdonohue> makes perfect sense -- as you should be
[17:04] <kshepherd> hmm.. 'received' sounds like a good idea
[17:05] <PeterDietz> and then to have someone "on call" for the week who's job it is to do initial review of new tickets that week
[17:06] <tdonohue> exactly -- either that, or any of us can do an "initial review", and move them to "open" if they are deemed worthy -- then meetings could be reserved more for reviewing *patches* instead of just open issues
[17:07] <tdonohue> (or, actually removing patches when they need a group of eyes on them)
[17:07] <kshepherd> one of the good things about reviewing during a developers' meeting is that you get feedback/votes from people who might otherwise have not even bothered to review issue 'x'
[17:07] <tdonohue> g/removing/reviewing
[17:07] <kshepherd> but that's a good point.. we can review patches in meetings, not issues
[17:10] <tdonohue> true -- we'd be giving up having "lots of eyes" on the issues -- but it seems like it's either figure out a better JIRA workflow, or try to schedule a separate JIRA review meeting (which could be difficult based on everyone's schedules). We never seem to have a "small agenda day", and our hour goes by too quick
[17:11] <tdonohue> (if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears -- obviously we don't want these JIRA issues to just keep piling up)
[17:13] <kshepherd> if we can work on jira workflow by adding received step, perhaps mailing regular 'new issues' updates to dspace-devel and dspace-tech, etc., that might help get more people interested in helping to review
[17:14] <kshepherd> which might also lead to more committers?
[17:15] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has left #duraspace
[17:16] * kshepherd will be half-here for a bit longer until a conference call, running for coffee now
[17:16] <PeterDietz> Something like a weekly summary of new issues to dspace-tech would be appropriate I say
[17:18] * keithg (~keith-noa@lib-kgilbertson.library.gatech.edu) Quit (Quit: keithg)
[17:18] <tdonohue> hmm...makes me wonder if Jira has that as an option -- does sound like it could be a good idea
[17:54] * robint_ (~52292565@gateway/web/freenode/x-zkkqtjbsxictjoau) Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[18:03] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[18:08] * carynn (~cneiswen@c726.staff.lib.uci.edu) has left #duraspace
[18:09] * PeterDietz (~PeterDiet@ACK5859s3.lib.ohio-state.edu) has left #duraspace
[18:22] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[18:23] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:21] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[19:23] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:05] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has left #duraspace
[23:17] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:19] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.