#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2010-06-30

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:17] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[2:13] * ksclarke (~kevin@173-11-25-90-oregon.hfc.comcastbusiness.net) has joined #duraspace
[2:58] * ksclarke (~kevin@173-11-25-90-oregon.hfc.comcastbusiness.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[5:58] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ has joined #duraspace
[6:23] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[6:26] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ has joined #duraspace
[6:45] -farmer.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:45] -farmer.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:45] -farmer.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:45] -farmer.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:45] [frigg VERSION]
[6:45] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ec2-184-73-169-236.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:45] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://duraspace.org/irclogs/'
[6:45] * Set by cwilper on Tue Jun 30 20:32:05 UTC 2009
[8:12] * pvillega (~pvillega@ has joined #duraspace
[8:18] * pvillega_ (~pvillega@ has joined #duraspace
[8:19] * pvillega (~pvillega@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[12:08] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[13:19] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[13:28] * ksclarke (~kevin@173-11-25-90-oregon.hfc.comcastbusiness.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:28] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:38] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[13:43] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:54] * ksclarke (~kevin@173-11-25-90-oregon.hfc.comcastbusiness.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[15:36] * ksclarke (~kevin@ has joined #duraspace
[16:38] * pvillega_ (~pvillega@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[18:39] * ksclarke (~kevin@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[19:38] * ksclarke (~kevin@ has joined #duraspace
[19:56] * cccharles (~user@ has joined #duraspace
[19:58] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-217-116.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace
[19:58] * PeterDietz (~PeterDiet@ACK5859s3.lib.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:59] * ksclarke (~kevin@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[19:59] * ksclarke (~kevin@ has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <tdonohue> Hi all -- DSpace Devel Mtg Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2010-06-30
[20:01] <tdonohue> May try and keep this brief today -- I'm sure we are all busy with OR10 preparations, etc.
[20:01] <PeterDietz> I fly to Madrid tomorrow, I'm a little nervous already
[20:02] <PeterDietz> we'll be doing backpacking before the conference
[20:02] <tdonohue> BTW -- in case you haven't heard, Madrid Metro system is currently on strike -- could be interesting if it isn't resolved soon: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gzuwL6lfIIVc3zUx023auW2OKy5A
[20:02] <tdonohue> really hoping that gets resolved very soon...
[20:03] <PeterDietz> OMG!!
[20:03] * ksclarke (~kevin@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[20:03] * ksclarke (~kevin@ has joined #duraspace
[20:03] <tdonohue> yea, PeterDietz -- hopefully it won't affect your backpacking trip (which sounds like fun!)
[20:04] <mdiggory> I just have one announcement today, per GSoC
[20:04] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- did you have any GSoC updates for today?
[20:04] <tdonohue> go ahead :)
[20:05] <mdiggory> trying to come up with something witty about ears burning
[20:05] <tdonohue> yea, good anticipation there :)
[20:05] <mdiggory> So I've organized a meeting on friday at 06:00 PST / 09
[20:06] <mdiggory> opse... sent that prematurely
[20:06] <tdonohue> 06:00 PST / 09:00 EST, i assume :)
[20:06] <mdiggory> the meeting will have all GSoC students present to discuss projects
[20:07] <tdonohue> excellent!
[20:07] <mdiggory> We will also have the students generating status updates for friday including overviews, comments, concerns they may have with the process
[20:08] <mdiggory> I will consolidate this material for discussion on MOnday
[20:08] <tdonohue> sounds good -- is anyone allowed to sit in on the Friday meeting? (and if so, will it be advertised on dspace-devel today/tomorrow?)
[20:11] * bojans (~Bojmen@ has joined #duraspace
[20:12] <mdiggory> Yes, certainly, I want to send out a formal announcement today now that we have an agreed time
[20:12] <tdonohue> sounds great
[20:12] <mdiggory> other are welcome... contributions to the agenda and volunteerism are very needed
[20:13] <tdonohue> I'll try and make it for most/all of the meeting -- I hope everyone else here can as well...(even if you need to just lurk for most of it)
[20:15] <tdonohue> Ok -- the only other item I had on the agenda was OR10. Any questions/comments/suggestions before we all head off to Madrid? Any suggested changes to our agenda for Monday?
[20:15] <tdonohue> Monday committer mtg agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2010-07-05+-+OR10+Meeting
[20:15] <mdiggory> Need to get a wiki page started for the students meetings ... I expect it will be based here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/GSoC+Meetings
[20:16] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- good idea
[20:18] * cccharles (~user@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[20:18] <tdonohue> Ok -- any other topics to discuss today (everyone's quiet! though, understandable that everyone is busy this week.)
[20:20] <mhwood> There was some discussion on one of the MLs about bringing the minimum recommended PostgreSQL up into the 8.x range.
[20:21] <tdonohue> mhwood -- thanks for following up. I think that makes sense, we just should probably run it through normal JIRA process, and determine what the absolute minimum should be
[20:21] <PeterDietz> I had to do an extra dspace-upgrade step because of old postgres naming constraints going bad
[20:22] <tdonohue> but, I agree we should update that minimum -- likely for 1.7 (which seems like it will be the next release)
[20:23] <tdonohue> we should actually check all of our minimums -- would be good to update Java to 1.6 (as I think 1.5 is now at end-of-life?, if I recall correctly)
[20:23] <mhwood> Maintainer support ends for 7.4 and 8.0 with their next bugfix or security release. Support ends for 8.1 in November. So 8.2 sounds like minimum.
[20:24] <mhwood> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy
[20:25] <tdonohue> yea, so maybe we just need a JIRA issue to capture this, and then get it updated for DSpace 1.6
[20:25] <mhwood> Will do.
[20:25] <tdonohue> Java 5.0/1.5 is also past 'end of life' http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/index.jsp
[20:25] <tdonohue> oh, i meant Dspace 1.7 -- not 1.6, obviously
[20:26] <tdonohue> anything else to bring up today?
[20:29] <tdonohue> Ok -- i'll take that as a 'no'. :) I'd like to go ahead and just close the meeting early today, as I don't have anything else to discuss, and have plenty to do before the end of the week!
[20:30] <tdonohue> I look forward to seeing most of you in Spain! For those who won't make OR10, we'll send off a summary of Monday's meeting (I'm hoping to find a note-taker).
[20:31] <tdonohue> (Oh, and if you cannot make OR10 -- if you wanted, we could try and Skype you into the discussions -- but obviously if you are in the USA, that'd be a rather early meeting. Let me know though if you want to try and Skype in)
[20:31] <mhwood> Looking forward to the summary, unfortunately.
[20:32] <tdonohue> yea -- mhwood -- sorry we'll miss you. If you wanted to try and skype into some of the discussions, let us know. We could setup a laptop so you could hear/see most of what's going on
[20:32] <mhwood> Still trying to get Skype to work. Think I need a better microphone. Thanks anyway.
[20:33] <tdonohue> ok -- no problem, just thought I'd offer
[20:33] <tdonohue> ok all -- that's it! I'll be lurking for a while if anything else comes up. But, consider the official meeting closed.
[20:39] <kshepherd> hi all
[20:39] <kshepherd> oops, too late ;P
[20:40] <kshepherd> i won't be at OR10 :( but to all those that are going: have fun, hopefully i can tune in on some webcasts or skype meetings
[20:45] <tdonohue> hi kshepherd -- sorry we'll miss you. If you wanted us to try and Skype you into some of the discussions, that might be possible (or at least, I'm hopeful -- we're supposed to have internet there, and we'll have plenty of laptops)
[20:46] <kshepherd> tdonohue: cool, perhaps if you email me a reminder a few hours before you begin any DSUG/committer meeting stuff, that'll let me get set up and test a skype call. if i don't respond, it probably means i'm not awake ;)
[20:47] <tdonohue> sure -- i'll try to remember -- though, I've got so much to do between now and then, I'm not sure I can be fully trusted :)
[20:47] <kshepherd> heh of course, don't worry too much about that ;) i'll be following various twitter feeds and so on, anyway
[20:48] <tdonohue> yea -- i'd say, if you decide you want to join via Skype, email one of us in Madrid and let us know -- we can always set you up "on the fly" on Monday
[21:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has left #duraspace
[21:06] * robint (52292565@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[21:07] <kshepherd> hi robint.. just sent another reply re: dates ;)
[21:15] * scottatm (~scottatm@adhcp136.evans.tamu.edu) Quit (Quit: scottatm)
[21:20] * scottatm (~scottatm@adhcp136.evans.tamu.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:31] * bojans (~Bojmen@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:46] * robint (52292565@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[22:06] * ksclarke (~kevin@ Quit (*.net *.split)
[22:06] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-217-116.sd.sd.cox.net) Quit (*.net *.split)
[22:07] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[22:08] * ksclarke (~kevin@ has joined #duraspace
[22:08] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-217-116.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace
[22:14] * ksclarke (~kevin@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[23:34] * PeterDietz (~PeterDiet@ACK5859s3.lib.ohio-state.edu) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.