#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2010-11-10

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:03] * eddies (~Adium@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[0:04] * eddies (~eddies@ has joined #duraspace
[0:21] * lepton (~Adium@host217-43-46-152.range217-43.btcentralplus.com) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[1:25] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-39-77-42.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[2:00] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-39-77-42.clt.bellsouth.net) has joined #duraspace
[5:27] * mdiggory_ (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[5:30] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[5:30] * mdiggory_ is now known as mdiggory
[6:37] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-39-77-42.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[6:42] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:42] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:42] -card.freenode.net- *** Your forward and reverse DNS do not match, ignoring hostname
[6:42] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:42] [frigg VERSION]
[6:42] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@ has joined #duraspace
[6:42] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:42] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[9:05] * grahamtriggs (~grahamtri@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[10:41] * eddies (~eddies@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[10:41] * eddies (~eddies@ has joined #duraspace
[10:50] * eddies (~eddies@ has left #duraspace
[13:01] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[13:26] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[13:37] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[14:12] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Ping timeout: 255 seconds)
[14:23] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[14:34] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:51] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-39-77-42.clt.bellsouth.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:20] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[16:21] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[16:38] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Ping timeout: 255 seconds)
[16:39] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[16:42] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[17:49] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[18:23] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[18:53] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[19:11] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[19:46] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[19:48] <tdonohue> Reminder: DSpace Developer Meeting is in about 13 minutes (at top of the hour). For most folks in the USA, that means it will be an hour earlier (since daylight savings ended). So, 20:00UTC is now an hour earlier
[19:56] * cccharles (~user@bas5-kitchener06-1096664160.dsl.bell.ca) has joined #duraspace
[19:59] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@75-138-180-114.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <tdonohue> Hi All -- DSpace Developers Meeting is starting here now...
[20:00] <tdonohue> Today's agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2010-11-10
[20:01] <tdonohue> Not really anything official on the agenda. I mostly wanted to check in with everyone on 1.7 & the Testathon this week.
[20:01] <kshepherd> evening all
[20:01] <tdonohue> So, if you have a topic/issue that you'd like to discuss and/or resolve, please feel free to bring it up
[20:02] <tdonohue> hi kshepherd
[20:02] * robint_ (5229fd08@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:02] <kshepherd> tdonohue: stuart had some questions that he's pasted in #dspace
[20:02] <kshepherd> he's had to go to another meeting, unfortunately
[20:03] <grahamtriggs> I've got something for people to be thinking about in the background, but I'll wait for 1.7 / testathon topics first...
[20:03] <tdonohue> (1:47:53 PM) stuartlewis: Is there a code freeze, or are we still ok to apply patches.
[20:03] <tdonohue> (1:47:59 PM) stuartlewis: The two I'm thinking of are:
[20:03] <tdonohue> (1:48:07 PM) stuartlewis: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-268
[20:03] <tdonohue> (1:48:31 PM) stuartlewis: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-640
[20:03] <kshepherd> it's great to see the maven issues are resolved
[20:04] <tdonohue> I've pasted in the issues Stuart had mentioned -- I basically just told him we aren't under a code freeze, so code can be committed (as long as it is bug fixes)
[20:05] <kshepherd> cool
[20:05] <tdonohue> kshepherd -- was there anything else in particular to discuss with what stuartlewis brought up?
[20:05] <kshepherd> i don't think so, they're just useful bugfixes -- 640 does what we'd agreed it should do in the JIRA notes / irc meeting, and 268 is just a useful patch to xmlui javascript
[20:06] <kshepherd> so if we're still able to commit bugfixes, we'll do some final testing and get those in shortly
[20:07] <tdonohue> ok -- yea, in general, you can still commit bugfixes. New features should not be committed (unless they've received some sort of prior approval of Peter Dietz)
[20:08] <tdonohue> anything else anyone wants to discuss with 1.7 and the Testathon? Has everyone had some time to do testing? (activity seems a bit low so far, but then again, we did have those maven issues for a day or so)
[20:09] <robint_> I've been a bit stuck because of the Maven issues plus other wee hitches. How long does the Testathon officially last ?
[20:09] <tdonohue> Testathon is officially till Sunday, but "unofficially" until 1.7 is actually released :)
[20:10] <kshepherd> i think the feedback buttons are great -- maybe we need to promote them on the demo.dspace.org frontpage so people don't overlook them?
[20:10] <sandsfish> Richard Rodgers hopes he will have the virus-scan plugin by today.
[20:11] * lepton (~Adium@host217-43-46-152.range217-43.btcentralplus.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:11] <tdonohue> sandsfish -- sounds good. it looks like it was just committed
[20:11] <sandsfish> Excellent
[20:11] <tdonohue> kshepherd -- we may need to talk with PeterDietz about that. He did all the great work on demo.dspace.org -- and I'm actually not entirely sure how it is all setup (and don't want to accidentally break any of it) :)
[20:12] <tdonohue> It was PeterDietz idea to integrate/use "User Voice" (those feedback buttons) during the testathon -- he took the lead on all of that, and I think it looks great
[20:13] <kshepherd> yep
[20:13] <kshepherd> i just hope enough people notice them and click them ;)
[20:13] <tdonohue> I hope so too -- they are bright red, so they should catch your eye
[20:14] <tdonohue> So -- I'd encourage everyone to try and do some heavier testing for the rest of the week (if you can find some extra cycles) -- I know I plan to hit on Dspace 1.7 a bit more and look for issues
[20:14] <grahamtriggs> I wonder if people are / do confuse them with the regular DSpace feedback? Especially when accessing Mirage, as it's a new L&F, there isn't an expectation of where things should be
[20:15] <kshepherd> i've been doing testing locally (and quite a bit of it), but i can hammer demo.dspace.org if you'd prefer
[20:15] <kshepherd> grahamtriggs: good point
[20:15] <tdonohue> hammer on whatever version you feel most comfortable with (local or demo.dspace.org) -- doesn't matter, as long as we're getting the testing in
[20:16] <kshepherd> grahamtriggs: that could also be helped by a quick info pane on the demo.dspace.org page just explaining what the feedback buttons are and encouraging people to use them
[20:16] <sandsfish> Has there been any talk about stress-testing demo?
[20:17] <sandsfish> Say, a simple JMeter profile, or some such?
[20:18] <tdonohue> I'd rather not directly stress test our only Testathon site during Testathon (in case you actually do manage to crash it completely) -- but, it would be good to stress test an instance or two of Dspace 1.7, or stress test demo.dspace.org next week (after Testathon is officially over)
[20:18] <grahamtriggs> sandsfish: it's going to be fine, unless you load it up with half a million records and hammer pages at the end of the browse list :)
[20:19] <tdonohue> So -- that's another way of saying, I'd appreciate it if someone would run JMeter against it. Just a bit hesitant to do it this week, as the server itself is nothing amazing, and we don't want to put it out-of-service on accident
[20:19] <kshepherd> well, i'd be happy to bring up an EC2 box for 24-48 hours for us to stress test, though i don't have as much profiling experience as i ought to
[20:19] <sandsfish> grahamtriggs: encouraging words, but after working with an instance that constantly has load issues. tdonohue: i could run this after Testathon is over. nothing complex. just load and basic coverage of the UI.
[20:20] <kshepherd> any longer than 24-48 hours and the bill starts to add up though ;) i already have too many ec2 instances running :/
[20:20] <tdonohue> sandsfish -- I'd appreciate it. I think it'd be good to run a full stress test next week. Would also be good to share your JMeter scripts on the wiki, so that we can try and make this a usual part of post or pre-Testathon
[20:22] <tdonohue> kshepherd -- thanks for the offer, though we could probably just use demo.dspace.org if we wait till next week (it's an EC2 server which we are already paying to keep up -- I just didn't want to accidentally crash it this week)
[20:22] <sandsfish> tdonohue: sure thing. my JMeter-fu is remedial at best, but i think it's worth it even just to see if an instance can get back on its feet without help after being pummeled with traffic to the point of not responding.
[20:23] <tdonohue> sandsfish -- sounds like a great plan. I'd only ask that you let me know just before you start :) that way I can help if any problems occur (but hopefully they will not)
[20:23] <sandsfish> hehe, certainly. will do.
[20:24] <tdonohue> anything else anyone has to discuss? (again, as mentioned, today's meeting is essentially an open agenda)
[20:25] * grahamtriggs clears throat
[20:26] <grahamtriggs> ok, this is really to put something into your minds rather than to discuss for today... you may have noticed in the commit logs, i've done a bit of work to resurrect the Freemarker UI project
[20:26] <grahamtriggs> (this isn't a point specifically about UIs though)
[20:26] <robint_> phew !
[20:27] <grahamtriggs> if you've ever looked at it, you'll know that it's based on Spring's WebMVC framework, and that the controllers for handling requests are wired into a Spring context
[20:28] <grahamtriggs> now, it would seem ideal that you can just wire services from the Spring based service manager into those controllers - via Spring - rather than having to acquire them via hardcoding
[20:29] <grahamtriggs> dspace-services is still built in such a way that the Spring context it uses to manage the services is buried inside services code
[20:30] <grahamtriggs> as a result, it's a separate Spring context from the one that wires the controllers, and so you can't just create a wiring point and expect Spring to wire them
[20:31] <grahamtriggs> I either need to pull through the services from the other context (there is some fairly ugly Spring wiring examples somewhere to grab the DSpace object and pull the services through into bean aliases that can be wired)
[20:32] <grahamtriggs> or we do what I've felt should have been the case all along and pull that Spring context creation out of the services code and into the domain of the application startup
[20:33] <grahamtriggs> yes, it means that you've got to define your application startup correctly, and yes, you can screw up that context definition - but then you can also make changes to it as necessary for your application, plugins, choice of services, etc.
[20:33] <grahamtriggs> so that's probably something we want to take a further look at following the release of 1.7
[20:34] <tdonohue> Ok -- that is good to think about / note. Seems reasonable enough at a basic glance, but I'm unsure of its full implications at this time -- plus, it'd be good to get mdiggory in on this eventually, as he's obviously the primary expert, besides yourself, on dspace-services
[20:36] <mhwood> Bringing this stuff out where it can be found more easily has got to be a win. What might we lose?
[20:36] <mhwood> IOW what is the current design buying us?
[20:36] <grahamtriggs> BTW, the webmvc / freemarker project in module now compiles and runs - and starts up the DSpace kernel / services - so it's actually at a point that you could conceivably get some functionality running on it!
[20:37] <kshepherd> i haven't used spring mvc for a while, but i didn't really enjoy the brief encounter i had with it ;) guess i'll have to try again.
[20:37] <sandsfish> agreed mhwood. i'm in favor of simplicity and less spaghetti-like architecture. though i must admit, i am fairly ignorant of Spring inner workings.
[20:37] <grahamtriggs> Or you can just run it as it stands and go 'ooh' when the homepage changes look if you add the parameters ?theme=kubrick or ?theme=mirage
[20:37] <tdonohue> mhwood -- likely there's nothing to lose. I just haven't had a chance to look into it enough to see if it would have any implications on how dspace-services currently interacts with DSpace (doubtful, but I'd want to make sure, obviously)
[20:38] <grahamtriggs> tdonohue: the main point is you would need a bean that is 'factoryaware' being created, and seeding the points of static contact for legacy code
[20:40] <tdonohue> grahamtriggs -- would you be willing to create a JIRA 'placeholder' for this problem/suggestion? maybe even copy & paste in this discussion? It'd be good to track, so that we don't forget about it after 1.7
[20:40] <grahamtriggs> kshepherd: webmvc is OK... it's a bit like Struts, but less annoying. It's not as flash or fancy as something like Seam or Cocoon, but then they have other headaches
[20:40] <mhwood> It looks like there is interest in doing this. I must confess that I never did work out *why* kernel/services startup works the way it does.
[20:41] <tdonohue> +1 I think there is interest, just need to figure out what changes would be required and make sure it didn't accidentally break something else
[20:42] <tdonohue> ...hence the need for a JIRA issue -- hint, hint grahamtriggs :)
[20:43] <grahamtriggs> yeah, yeah :)
[20:43] <tdonohue> btw -- grahamtriggs -- heard a rumor there was a nice pic of you in PeterDietz's 1.7 presentation at the mini-DSUG around the SPARC Repositories conference
[20:43] <tdonohue> ok -- any other topics?
[20:44] <grahamtriggs> was there? I tried to live stream, but everything was blurry and there was no audio
[20:45] <tdonohue> grahamtriggs -- yea, I think he included your "James Bond" pic. He was planning to highlight the underneath scalability/performance work that you've done with 1.7
[20:45] <kshepherd> yes, while we're talking about that:
[20:45] <kshepherd> grahamtriggs++
[20:45] <tdonohue> grahamtriggs ++ as well
[20:45] <mhwood> Hear, hear.
[20:45] <grahamtriggs> license to kill bugs and drive fast imports
[20:46] <tdonohue> also, mhwood++ for helping with the code cleanup that grahamtriggs started
[20:47] <tdonohue> any other topics? or should we close early today? (I know I have plenty to get back too -- including trying to figure out why our Bamboo is consistently failing since yesterday)
[20:49] <grahamtriggs> tdonohue: I think the bamboo agent needs a good cleaning
[20:49] <tdonohue> yea, I think the fault is on the bamboo agent side -- not in our code. just trying to figure out what it is :)
[20:50] <tdonohue> ok -- well, since everyone is silent, we'll close up early. Again, try to take some time to help with testathon and/or bug fixes this week!
[20:50] <tdonohue> Thanks all!
[20:50] <grahamtriggs> I had a similarly ridiculous issue with a Maven build the other day - had to clear out all the projects and the Maven repository before it worked properly
[20:51] <sandsfish> bye all! happy test-a-thon'ing
[20:51] <kshepherd> cheers all
[20:51] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@75-138-180-114.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com) Quit (Quit: sandsfish)
[20:52] <kshepherd> grahamtriggs: if you want to have a look at the responses to the ds-640 thing in #dspace, that'd be cool... if you still have objections then fair enough, but i'd quite like to commit it today ;)
[20:52] <robint_> grahamtriggs: I came across a comment in the wiki today describing that maven bug, did you add that ?
[20:53] <grahamtriggs> robint_: not put anything on the wiki - was probably Mark
[20:58] <robint_> I'm off. Cheers all.
[20:59] * robint_ (5229fd08@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:59] * HardyPottinger (80ce8627@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[22:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has left #duraspace
[22:16] * grahamtriggs (~grahamtri@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Quit: grahamtriggs)
[22:21] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-39-77-42.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[22:39] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-39-77-42.clt.bellsouth.net) has joined #duraspace
[22:57] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-55.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[23:12] * HardyPottinger (80ce8627@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[23:25] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[23:47] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.