#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2010-12-15

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:28] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-235-136-109.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[1:43] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-235-136-109.clt.bellsouth.net) has joined #duraspace
[3:12] * alxp (~alxp@blk-30-155-121.eastlink.ca) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[3:49] <snail> http://researcharchive.vuw.ac.nz/ now back up, or close enough
[5:14] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-235-136-109.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[6:51] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:51] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:51] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:51] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:52] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:52] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:52] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:01] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ has joined #duraspace
[9:17] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[9:18] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ has joined #duraspace
[10:33] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[10:54] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ has joined #duraspace
[12:25] * alxp (~alxp@PC044.ROBLIB.UPEI.CA) has joined #duraspace
[12:41] * granitize (~Adium@ has joined #duraspace
[13:20] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[13:47] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[13:49] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ has joined #duraspace
[14:10] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-235-136-109.clt.bellsouth.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:25] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:08] * Dan_Davis (4a4f12ae@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[15:13] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[15:15] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:30] * Tonny_DK (~thl@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[15:42] * granitize (~Adium@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[17:23] * granitize (~Adium@ has joined #duraspace
[18:59] * snail (~stuart@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[19:06] * snail (~stuart@ has joined #duraspace
[19:29] * grahamtriggs (~grahamtri@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:36] * granitize (~Adium@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[19:55] * robint (5229fd08@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:56] * cccharles (~chris@ has joined #duraspace
[19:58] * hpottinger (80ce8627@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:03] <tdonohue> Hi all -- normally we'd have a DSpace Devel. Mtg right about now. But, unfortunately, I'm a bit swamped this week because of the upcoming 1.7.0 release, and helping both Peter Dietz & Jeff Trimble (with the release and the documentation, respectively). Everything is still "on-time", and 1.7.0 will be formally released on Friday -- but, there's just a lot of last-minute stuff to do.
[20:05] <tdonohue> If anyone has some extra time today / early tomorrow, I'd appreciate a second pair of eyes on the 1.7.0 Upgrade Docs. I wrote and tested them a while back, but I wanted to be certain they are clear enough (and they should be double checked for inaccuracies): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/Upgrading+a+DSpace+Installation
[20:06] <tdonohue> Beyond that, I don't have anything to bring to a meeting today. Still working hard to help get 1.7.0 wrapped up. If there are any questions/comments, feel free to ask!
[20:06] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@75-138-180-114.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:07] <robint> Hi all,
[20:08] <robint> haven't had time to test it but there is an emsil in dspace-tech that suggests Sword doesn't work with Discovery turned on.
[20:08] <robint> s/emsil/email
[20:09] <tdonohue> well we probably should try and test that, and see if there is an odd SWORD/Discovery conflict (even if just so we can report that as a "known issue"). Any volunteers?
[20:11] <robint> tdonohue: Cant tonight but could do tomorrow
[20:12] <snail> tdonohue: i have some updates for the 'upgrading to 1.6' section of those docs. I'm not going to get to them until this afternoon though
[20:12] <tdonohue> well, anytime is good. At this point, it's unlikely we'd have a fix ready for 1.7.0 anyways (unless it's a really simple problem). So, it'd just be good to verify whether there is an issue, and if so, log it in JIRA as a "known issue"
[20:14] <tdonohue> FYI for all -- I plan to "close the door" on 1.7.0 at about 10:00 EST Thursday (tomorrow). That's 15:00 UTC on Thursday. After that, anything else will have to wait for 1.7.1 or 1.8.0.
[20:14] <snail> tdonohue: OK, thank you, I'll try and get them done today
[20:15] <sandsfish> BTW, Thanks for all the hard work lately guys!
[20:16] <sandsfish> Maven problems can be particularly frustrating.
[20:17] <snail> tdonohue: could you add a note on the recommended versions of java/maven/ant/tomcat into the docs on upgrading to 1.7?
[20:17] <tdonohue> yea -- those Maven issues were a bit of a pain. My week has been a bit busier than expected :)
[20:17] <hpottinger> tdonohue: I'm at a place where I could do a test install of 1.7.0, have an unused developer space to park it in
[20:17] <tdonohue> snail -- do you mean, provide an update there about the new recommended versions of each?
[20:18] <snail> yes
[20:18] <snail> in the wiki on the upgrade
[20:18] <tdonohue> snail -- good idea! I'll make sure we get that in there
[20:19] <tdonohue> hpottinger -- feel free to put up a test instance. We'll also make sure to upgrade http://demo.dspace.org/ to the official 1.7.0 release, once it has been "cut"
[20:20] <tdonohue> any other thoughts/comments/questions around 1.7.0? Again, would like a volunteer or two to at least read through the 1.6.x -> 1.7.0 upgrade docs (want to make sure everything makes sense, and nothing was overlooked on accident)
[20:20] <sandsfish> i'll scan through that.
[20:20] <tdonohue> thanks sandsfish -- i appreciate it!
[20:20] <mhwood> Did we really want to have sentences bracketed by underscores, or was that supposed to be italic?
[20:21] <tdonohue> mhwood -- if you see that anywhere in the docs, it's a formatting error. was likely supposed to be italic.
[20:21] * jefftrimble (~jefftrimb@maag127.maag.ysu.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:22] <tdonohue> FYI -- Jeff Trimble & I have been doing major cleanup of the Wiki Docs the last few days. Jeff is working hard today to cleanuup the Configuration section -- so, it may still be slightly messy in areas (but should be cleaned shortly)
[20:22] <tdonohue> there's jefftrimble now :)
[20:22] <tdonohue> But, if anyone has time -- we'd definitely appreciate more eyes on the Wiki Docs. We think we've caught *most* of the bad formatting/typos. But, more eyes always helps.
[20:23] <tdonohue> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC
[20:24] <tdonohue> fyi -- Committers have access to edit this area. If you are not a committer, and have not previously asked for permission to edit from Jeff or I, then you likely won't have access. However, we are very willing to give others edit access, as long as you are not a "spammer" :)
[20:25] <tdonohue> in case that previous statement isn't clear: everyone can view the Wiki-based Docs, but only trusted folks can edit them. Just ask if you want 'edit' permissions.
[20:28] <tdonohue> any other comments/questions, etc.?
[20:29] <snail> tdonohue: could you give me access please? I'm Stuart.Yeates@vuw.ac.nz
[20:38] <tdonohue> ok, snail, you now have edit rights to the official Docs in the Wiki. Let jefftrimble or I know if you have any questions, etc.
[20:39] <snail> tdonohue: cool. I'm in the same timezone as kshepherd, so hopefully it'll enable me to make my own corrections rather than forwarding them to him.
[20:39] <kshepherd> re: Discovery and SWORD -- if something's broken, it's just the event consumer stuff, because that's the only part i haven't tested yet (and am testing now)
[20:39] <tdonohue> Well, I for one will be glad to see 1.7.0 released in a few days time! Thanks to everyone for all your hard work in making 1.7.0 happen! I'll hang around here for a while in case there are questions, but otherwise, consider the meeting adjourned, and take the extra 20 minutes to help us read through the Docs and look for formatting or other errors.
[20:41] <sandsfish> Thanks tdonohue
[20:50] <mhwood> Preface introduces a list of new features and then gives none.
[20:55] <tdonohue> mhwood -- thanks, looks like we forgot to update that
[20:55] <tdonohue> i'll fix it shortly
[20:56] <mhwood> Same page: Sands Fish and Javier Garrido are two separate people, yes? "Keller", "Caryn", and "Nieswender" have only one name?
[21:00] * alxp (~alxp@PC044.ROBLIB.UPEI.CA) Quit (Quit: alxp)
[21:00] <tdonohue> Fixed both of those -- "Keller" is actually a single name -- that's how that person is also listed here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpaceContributors
[21:01] <tdonohue> I think we must've not gotten a first name there
[21:01] <mhwood> That's why I didn't just fix it -- I was unsure.
[21:03] * ksclarke (~kevin@adsl-235-136-109.clt.bellsouth.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[21:06] <hpottinger> two things related to Oracle: ojdbc info needs updating (both link to download and command to type), also, the version required in the pom.xml is not appropriate for Java6. As soon as I confirm which version should go in there, I'm happy to update the wiki, if I can have write permissions set: pottingerhj@umsystem.edu
[21:07] <sandsfish> tdonohue, the addition of the Google Scholar configuration entries is not listed in the upgrade steps that list config file edits:
[21:07] <sandsfish> ##### Google Scholar Metadata Configuration #####
[21:07] <sandsfish> google-metadata.config = ${dspace.dir}/config/crosswalks/google-metadata.properties
[21:07] <sandsfish> google-metadata.enable = true
[21:08] <sandsfish> I'll edit that in if you want.
[21:08] <tdonohue> sandsfish -- can you add them in the appropriate place?
[21:08] <sandsfish> yup.
[21:31] <hpottinger> build of 1.7.0 against Oracle finally proceeding, using ojdbc6.jar, had to change all the poms, if I can confirm it's working, I'll submit a patch
[21:34] <kshepherd> i've reproduced the sword+discovery problem (replied to dspace-tech with stack trace)
[21:35] <kshepherd> similar issue as the original reporter... things go pear-shaped after events are fired right at the end (or just after?) ingest via SWORD
[21:36] <kshepherd> s'pose i should look closer at dspace-services
[21:37] <tdonohue> kshepherd -- can you enter that as a formal issue in JIRA? so that we have it logged as a known issue in 1.7.0
[21:41] * jefftrimble (~jefftrimb@maag127.maag.ysu.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[21:45] * robint (5229fd08@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:47] <kshepherd> tdonohue: yep, will do.. just want to see if i should be logging it in dspace or DSCR or DSRV (though i might not be able to figure out that much! if in doubt i'll log it as a DS ticket)
[21:49] <tdonohue> yea, at very least, log as a DS ticket -- we can always move tickets around, or link them together if related
[21:54] <hpottinger> tdonohue: if you can give me write permission to the wiki, I'll update the Oracle info. Putting together a patch for the changes to the pom files, to use ojdbc6.jar
[21:56] <tdonohue> hpottinger -- what is your Wiki username? need that to give you edit access rights
[21:57] <hpottinger> tdonohue: pottingerhj@umsystem.edu
[22:00] <tdonohue> ok, you now have edit rights, hpottinger. FYI, this area of the wiki is more "managed", so several of us get notifications of updates so we can do a brief review. Obviously though, feel free to make whatever changes are needed -- we want to have many people helping to make the documentation better!
[22:01] <tdonohue> also, hpottinger, try and post any patches ASAP (or send my way). I'll be closing the DSpace 1.7.0 release tomorrow morning -- so patches need to be accepted before then. Assuming it's minor, shouldn't be a big deal, just need to get it soon.
[22:02] <hpottinger> todonohue: wrangling it right now, want it on JIRA or just to you?
[22:03] <tdonohue> Needs to get to JIRA eventually (for issue tracking) -- but you are welcome to also send to me (it's up to you, I'll be watching JIRA anyways)
[22:05] <kshepherd> tdonohue: i'm not liking my chances of having an acceptable fix for DS-640 in time :/
[22:05] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has left #duraspace
[22:05] <kshepherd> i don't want to mess with AbstractDspaceTransformer too much, and also don't want that ugly cocoon bug meaning we replace our 500 status codes with 200 status codes, even if we're *trying* to send 404s...
[22:06] <tdonohue> kshepherd: what's left with it? Is it just the fact that XMLUI itself isn't returning 404s properly (cause of Cocoon bug)
[22:06] <kshepherd> but we'll see how i go
[22:06] <tdonohue> ok -- i see. well, if it's not fully fixed, we'll reschedule for 1.7.1.
[22:07] <tdonohue> btw, kshepherd, is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-748 now resolved? (just want to mark it resolved if it is)
[22:08] <kshepherd> yep, we can resolve it. bill hays tested and is happy
[22:08] <tdonohue> excellent -- i'll close it out.
[22:08] <kshepherd> wanted to give others a chance to test before resolving/closing
[22:17] <hpottinger> tdonohue: ok, patch incoming, then I'll update the wiki, have to log out now, though
[22:17] * hpottinger (80ce8627@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[22:49] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@75-138-180-114.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com) Quit (Quit: sandsfish)
[23:02] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:10] * grahamtriggs (~grahamtri@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Quit: grahamtriggs)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.