#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2011-04-27

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[2:14] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[2:57] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace
[4:26] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[4:35] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[6:41] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:41] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:41] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:41] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:41] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:41] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:41] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[6:47] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace
[7:04] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[9:19] * bradmc (~bradmc@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[9:19] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[11:17] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[11:17] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[12:10] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[13:51] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:00] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[15:45] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[17:03] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[19:14] * grahamtriggs1 (~Graham@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:15] * grahamtriggs1 (~Graham@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has left #duraspace
[19:15] * grahamtriggs1 (~Graham@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:38] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[19:38] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[19:38] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[19:38] -leguin.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[19:38] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[19:38] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[19:38] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[19:42] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C15567.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:56] * mhwood (~mhwood@ has joined #duraspace
[20:01] * kompewter (~kompewter@sul272peter.lib.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <mdiggory> Ok, firing up the weekly Developers Meeting... I agreed to sit in for Tim this week who is off filling his ears with melodious noises
[20:02] <PeterDietz> (1) JIRA Quick Review Process - beginning with DS-791
[20:02] <PeterDietz> (2) GSoC Project Announcements / Initial discussions or planning as you
[20:02] <PeterDietz> all see fit
[20:02] <PeterDietz> (3) Any other topics that come up during discussion.
[20:02] <PeterDietz> (4) Reminder that Weds, May 4th (next week) will be a Special Topic Mtg
[20:02] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-791 ] - [#DS-791] Add ability to disable the building of particular DSpace modules/interfaces from source code - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:02] <PeterDietz> on "Async Releases & Trunk reorganization". Come prepared with your
[20:02] <PeterDietz> thoughts on various Async & Trunk reorg proposals/brainstorms
[20:02] <mdiggory> So to fire things up, heres the current notes, I just setup the Dev meeting wiki page
[20:02] <mdiggory> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Developer+Meetings
[20:02] <kompewter> [ Developer Meetings - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Developer+Meetings
[20:02] <mdiggory> kompewter seems mighty aggressive
[20:03] <PeterDietz> it took a 2 week break, so its extra eager
[20:03] <mdiggory> I'm just seeing these tix for the first time so bear with my slowness
[20:03] <PeterDietz> to make it not read a jira ticket, mix the cases, so Ds-### to ignore instead of DS-### (which it listens to)
[20:05] <mdiggory> Ok, so Ds-791 we should consider what happens with the dspace-parent pom as well... we have a number of extramnious profiles that we can do away with
[20:05] <mhwood> 791 sounds useful. Wary of Maven complications.
[20:05] <mdiggory> and need to reconsider how/where the assembly is built...
[20:05] <mdiggory> shifting to rely on maven conventions is always a good choice...
[20:06] <mdiggory> there are a couple other hickups with the tests profile I am also warry of
[20:06] <mhwood> As soon as we find out what the conventions *are*....
[20:07] <mdiggory> -P !
[20:07] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[20:07] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:07] <PeterDietz> for 791, I like the idea. For some things, just rebuilding your concerned module drops the rebuild time from 2 minutes to 15 seconds
[20:08] <mdiggory> jira is not being nice to me and giving the list of tasks...
[20:08] <mdiggory> A value with ID '10020' does not exist for the field 'project'.
[20:08] <PeterDietz> https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+Key%3E%3DDS-781+ORDER+BY+key+ASC
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-781 ] - [#DS-781] Controlled vocabularies not shown when editing an item - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:08] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+Key%3E%3DDS-781+ORDER+BY+key+ASC
[20:09] <mdiggory> I think that wiki link is bad
[20:09] <PeterDietz> The list of issues is: Ds-791, DS-792, DS-794, DS-795, ...
[20:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-792 ] - [#DS-792] how to set a password for a new uset when mail.server.disabled = true - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:10] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-794 ] - [#DS-794] Missing instruction to update event.dispatcher.default.consumers in Upgrading a DSpace Installation 1.6.x to 1.7.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:10] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-795 ] - [#DS-795] SOLR Stats: differentiate between internal institute traffic &amp; external visitors - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:10] <mdiggory> ok, Tim seems to be volunteered for 791, so perhaps we leave it to him for now
[20:10] <mdiggory> and add some of the notes from the meeting to it...
[20:11] <mhwood> Yes
[20:11] <mdiggory> overall a good start though
[20:11] <mdiggory> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-792
[20:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-792 ] - [#DS-792] how to set a password for a new uset when mail.server.disabled = true - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:11] <kompewter> [ [#DS-792] how to set a password for a new uset when mail.server.disabled = true - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-792
[20:12] <PeterDietz> 792, the user can use command line to create administrator
[20:12] <mdiggory> It is true that without email server registration cannot complete. It would be a nice feature to have another option, but not int he original design since this disabled option came into existence
[20:13] <mhwood> This seems to be about ordinary user accounts.
[20:13] <PeterDietz> the command line could be extended to be able to create non-priviledged users
[20:13] <mdiggory> Forgot Password also cannot be set
[20:14] <mdiggory> Captchas would be nice...
[20:14] <PeterDietz> maybe, when disable email server, then the emails get written in dspace.log
[20:14] <mdiggory> and circumvent email altogether
[20:14] <mhwood> is there a case where disabled=true is a normal setting? Shouldn't we just say, "don't do that"?
[20:14] <mdiggory> mhwood: I tend to agree
[20:15] <mdiggory> unless someone wants to improve the features set
[20:15] <mdiggory> So, this is more a feature request than a bug
[20:15] <mdiggory> how do we want to comment
[20:15] <mhwood> Not a bug. It's doing what it was told.
[20:16] <mdiggory> so... add comment that the disable mail server feature was not intended for use in production?
[20:16] <PeterDietz> it becomes feature request. To have the content of the disabled email to appear in the log, or you could make disabled email send all emails to the developers email address
[20:17] <mhwood> Or queue up.
[20:17] <PeterDietz> comment, won't fix, next
[20:17] <mhwood> Ick, forget I said that. Log is better.
[20:18] <PeterDietz> completely unrelated to anything, but Dryad presented at OCLC on Monday. Some cool stuff there.
[20:19] <mdiggory> Yep, fun project, more to come.... Item Versioning etc...
[20:19] <PeterDietz> more jira, or move on?
[20:20] <mhwood> 794 seems simple.
[20:20] <mdiggory> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-794
[20:20] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-794 ] - [#DS-794] Missing instruction to update event.dispatcher.default.consumers in Upgrading a DSpace Installation 1.6.x to 1.7.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:20] <kompewter> [ [#DS-794] Missing instruction to update event.dispatcher.default.consumers in Upgrading a DSpace Installation 1.6.x to 1.7.0 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-794
[20:21] <mdiggory> can't comments be made in the docs directly?
[20:22] <mdiggory> yuck... I don't like this wiki page
[20:22] <PeterDietz> for upgrade and discovery, I think that since its an optional extra, that upgrade/install should just link to the "how to install discovery" page
[20:23] <mdiggory> This needs to be separate wiki pages...
[20:23] <mhwood> Ah! Optional = describe on the option's page.
[20:24] <PeterDietz> our docs for install/upgrade are yucky. Which is why there are plenty of DIY howto's on various blogs in the internet. I think its because our install guide is not "opinionated" (hope I'm not mangling that)
[20:24] <mdiggory> commenting that its in the option config page and changing to won't fix...
[20:24] <mhwood> It is: it's directed at the site that only installed Tomcat and PostgreSQL to support DSpace and will run nothing else.
[20:24] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:25] <PeterDietz> I would like if there was a docs builder page. Where the user chooses <tomcat / jetty / something-else-exotic>, <postgres / oracle>, <windows, ubuntu, red hat, centos, osx>, ..., and the appropriate doc page is shown. Substituting in the correct information where approrpiate
[20:26] <mdiggory> Sounds like GSoC project proposal ;-)
[20:26] <mdiggory> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-795
[20:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-795 ] - [#DS-795] SOLR Stats: differentiate between internal institute traffic &amp; external visitors - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:26] <kompewter> [ [#DS-795] SOLR Stats: differentiate between internal institute traffic & external visitors - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-795
[20:26] <PeterDietz> ...and the remainder, which is just the "here's stuff you do to dspace" which is common across all installs
[20:26] <scottatm> Documentation should be simple....
[20:26] <mhwood> Leading to plenty of "this page is not yet written." Holy Cocoon site, Batman!
[20:27] <mdiggory> I'll visit with Bram about this...
[20:27] <mdiggory> not sure if theres some internal activit on the topic
[20:27] <PeterDietz> for my docs idea. its somewhat similar to: http://www.symfony-project.org/jobeet/1_4/Doctrine/en/ when you have choice between version, ORM, language
[20:27] <kompewter> [ Practical symfony | symfony | Web PHP Framework ] - http://www.symfony-project.org/jobeet/1_4/Doctrine/en/
[20:28] <mhwood> I don't mean to say it's not an interesting idea, only that it requires a lot of writing from a lot of people with varying experience. It can happen but won't happen quickly.
[20:29] * robint (522921b0@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:29] <mdiggory> Any more tasks today?
[20:29] <PeterDietz> no more jira for me
[20:29] <mdiggory> I should update the meeting notes... we can now discuss GSoC students
[20:30] <mdiggory> and GSoC projects
[20:30] <mdiggory> I think we should try to organize some "process" for opening up the "getting to know all about you" period
[20:30] <mhwood> Agreed that the upgrade page should be broken into pages for each pair of versions. Too long....
[20:31] <scottatm> I suggest in addition to a simple email to the dev lists that we cordinate a skype call or something similar. Students can pitch their ideas in person, and mentors can introduce themselves.
[20:32] <mdiggory> We have four successfull DSpace applicants...
[20:32] <mdiggory> Guarave Kejriwal
[20:32] <mdiggory> Technology: DSpace
[20:32] <mdiggory> Project: Submission Enhancements in DSpace
[20:32] <mdiggory> Mentor(s): Mark Diggory, Scott Phillips
[20:32] <mdiggory> Jiri Kremser Technology: FedoraProject: Migrate to a modern Web service library for SOAP and support MTOM Mentor(s): A. Soroka, a Fedora Committer TBD
[20:32] <mdiggory> doh... sorry
[20:33] <mdiggory> Vibhaj Rajan Technology: DSpaceProject: New UI built over RESTful services (using Ext JS or similar) Mentor(s): Bojan Suzich, Mark Diggory, one or more DSpace Committers TBD?
[20:33] <mdiggory> Robert Qin Zhengquan Technology: DSpace Project: WebMVC (Freemarker) UI development Mentor(s): Graham Triggs, Peter Dietz, Stuart Lewis
[20:33] <mdiggory> Yigang Zhou Technology: DSpace Project: SKOS Authority Control based on DSpace RDF TripleStore Mentor(s): Mark Diggory, Ryan Scherle
[20:34] <PeterDietz> students still have school to wrap up with for the next month or so. Then begins "pencil up"
[20:34] <mdiggory> We should probably update some wiki pages to reflect new status
[20:34] <PeterDietz> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/GSOC/GSoC+2011+Projects
[20:34] <kompewter> [ GSoC 2011 Projects - Google Summer of Code - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/GSOC/GSoC+2011+Projects
[20:35] <mdiggory> Yes, for now, what we need is to initiate dialog in the community around the projects to get the community interacting with the student and visiting... socials... virtuals drinks etc
[20:35] <mdiggory> PeterDietz: Yep...
[20:35] <PeterDietz> for webmvc project. The student emailed us (peter, graham, stuart), and we've begun introductions
[20:36] <mdiggory> What we did last year was post the applications into the wiki as separate pages and tell the students to expand upon them
[20:37] <PeterDietz> For webmvc, I think we're going to use the github repo, and put wiki's/issue's/source-code there. Objections?
[20:37] <PeterDietz> I think merging the students code into the main project early/often is better approach. git provides better mechanism than off-shoot svn branch
[20:38] <mdiggory> I guess the challenge is that its outside the community repo... where we are trying to capture as much work as we can... (not dis'n git)
[20:38] <mdiggory> having webmvc in the modules directory keeps work ongoing on it on the radar
[20:38] <stuartlewis> I think it will be a good experiment to see how git suits us and our ways of working.
[20:39] <scottatm> You can do both, work with git, and everyonce in a while synce up with SVN.
[20:39] <mdiggory> will changes get pushed back to the svn?
[20:39] <PeterDietz> your wish is my command. git does all
[20:40] <PeterDietz> i'd just set up my computer to do cron job every day
[20:40] <grahamtriggs1> that was the plan of doing all webmvc development in the community challenge - but GSoC presents the challenge of having a student work against a moving target, whilst needing to retain a buffer zone for review
[20:40] <scottatm> Idealy, I'd like dspace to move to git, but until it does it makes sense to at least have a copy of the project in SVN.
[20:40] <mdiggory> I also want to make sure that when talking about the WebMVC and the New UI built over RESTful services that there is ample opportunity for cross-pollination
[20:40] <grahamtriggs1> and we know that svn is horrid at doing that kind of branch / merging
[20:41] <PeterDietz> I've got a few projects here: https://github.com/DSpace
[20:41] <kompewter> [ DSpace's Profile - GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace
[20:43] <mdiggory> the work on several of these projects will have a high degree of modularity... I still promote their being at home in the modules directory... that said... getting 1 or more Git projects going on the modules dir is not out of reason
[20:43] <grahamtriggs1> for the sake of familiarity, I would kind of prefer staying with svn for a short while longer, but we also need practical time working with git prior to any decision to switch wholesale - GSoC presents both a need and an opportunity
[20:45] <mdiggory> PeterDietz: tell us about setting up more projects in GitHub... can it provide the syncing for us?
[20:45] <PeterDietz> github gives you a repository, nothing more .. well (issues, wiki, pull requests)
[20:46] <PeterDietz> you gotta set up a cron job if you want syncing. git+cron does that
[20:46] <scottatm> there's a bot that will sync git to svn.... not sure how well it works.
[20:47] <scottatm> I think it would be better to just be old school, Develop the code in git and whenever you reach a milestone of some sort take a copy and put it into SVN replacing the old version.... simple is easiest all around.
[20:47] <mdiggory> PeterDietz: can I jointhe DSpace org at Github?
[20:47] <PeterDietz> my flow is: git svn clone http://scm.dspace.org/.../dspace, git svn fetch, git svn rebase, git push github master
[20:47] <PeterDietz> mdiggory: sure, if you create a user account sure
[20:47] <mdiggory> its mdiggory
[20:47] <PeterDietz> s/t sure/t
[20:47] <kompewter> PeterDietz meant to say: mdiggory: sure, if you create a user account
[20:48] <mdiggory> gee thanks kompewter I didn't understand that
[20:48] <kompewter> mdiggory: You're welcome.
[20:48] <mdiggory> scarry
[20:49] <PeterDietz> ok, mdiggory you are now a member
[20:49] <mdiggory> HAL: "Sorry Dave, I cannot let you back into the ship"
[20:50] <mhwood> Dave: "sorry, HAL, I have to take out your consciousness now."
[20:51] <mdiggory> does git and the hosted fisheye integrate
[20:52] <PeterDietz> dunno, Fedora project has git living somewhere. I'm pretty sure they switched recently
[20:53] <scottatm> Fisheye does not work with git.
[20:54] <mdiggory> So... I always wanted to use the code review feature of fisheye and found it a little obtuse... does github have anything?
[20:55] <PeterDietz> github is awesome.
[20:55] <PeterDietz> pull request: https://github.com/stuartlewis/EasyDeposit/pull/1
[20:55] <kompewter> [ Minor spelling correction to service document error message by kshepherd for stuartlewis's EasyDeposit - Pull Request - GitHub ] - https://github.com/stuartlewis/EasyDeposit/pull/1
[20:55] <mdiggory> I see it now... much easier that crappy fisheye
[20:55] <PeterDietz> review: https://github.com/DSpace/webmvc/commit/e26e58124e599e7ac6a54c9427bd559615533421
[20:55] <kompewter> [ Commit e26e58124e599e7ac6a54c9427bd559615533421 to DSpace/webmvc - GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/webmvc/commit/e26e58124e599e7ac6a54c9427bd559615533421
[20:56] <stuartlewis> http://www.atlassian.com/software/fisheye/tour/ suggests it now supports git: "Whether you use Subversion, Git, Mercurial, CVS, Perforce, ClearCase, or a combination, FishEye give you a consistent way to browse, share, and understand your source without ever needing to open an IDE. "
[20:56] <kompewter> [ Fast source code browser for CVS, SVN, HG, Git, ClearCase and Perforce ] - http://www.atlassian.com/software/fisheye/tour/
[20:56] <PeterDietz> another review/comment: https://github.com/DSpace/webmvc/commit/82b802ead0cfc1522e20d4a0f55160a392d4a38e
[20:56] <kompewter> [ Commit 82b802ead0cfc1522e20d4a0f55160a392d4a38e to DSpace/webmvc - GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/webmvc/commit/82b802ead0cfc1522e20d4a0f55160a392d4a38e
[20:57] <mdiggory> no doubt...
[20:58] <mdiggory> Ok, so far I've not been unconvinced ;-)
[20:58] <mdiggory> Th larger question has to do with impact to the user community / developer communities
[20:59] <mdiggory> Peter do you have docs on your syncing activities in wiki?
[21:00] <mdiggory> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Tracking+your+source+code+with+Git
[21:00] <kompewter> [ Tracking your source code with Git - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Tracking+your+source+code+with+Git
[21:00] <PeterDietz> I've also got an email to dspace-commit on April 9th Re: [Dspace-commit] DSpace Development Practices [was: Complex configuration]
[21:01] <grahamtriggs1> the only way we can deal with the impact on the community is to experience it practically and present a proper argument
[21:01] <mdiggory> Maybe you should repost the topic int he developer list to get wider discussion
[21:01] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C15567.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[21:02] <mdiggory> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/wiki
[21:02] <kompewter> [ Getting Started with DSpace + Git - GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/wiki
[21:02] <grahamtriggs1> for anyone that simply 'downloads' dspace it shouldn't make any difference at all. If they develop against a development version, in theory it should be easier with git
[21:03] <mdiggory> Is anyone using GIt with IDEA?
[21:03] <kshepherd> yes
[21:03] <PeterDietz> me somewhat... I let idea tell me what's green/blue/red. But I do commits from commit line
[21:03] <stuartlewis> I use it with phpStorm, with is IntelliJ's PHP dev environment, but is almost identical to IDEA. Works well.
[21:04] <mdiggory> note... its just after 1hr... so suggesting meeting is closed but open dialog most welcome
[21:04] <stuartlewis> I tend to do commits in the IDE, but pushes in the CLI
[21:04] <kshepherd> (IDEA with git, but not directly to github)
[21:04] <mdiggory> stuartlewis... commits to local git... pushes upto hub?
[21:04] <stuartlewis> local git.
[21:05] <stuartlewis> Yep, then pushes to github
[21:05] <mdiggory> how are git users getting changes back to svn?
[21:05] <PeterDietz> i don't recommend having a svn and git hybrid approach
[21:05] <stuartlewis> (This is for my personal stuff, not DSpace stuff - http://github.com/stuartlewis/)
[21:06] <mdiggory> So that is a challenge in transitioning
[21:06] <PeterDietz> for webmvc. i do git svn fetch, git svn rebase, ##edit-files##, git commit, ##edit files##, git commit, git svn dcommit
[21:06] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[21:07] <mdiggory> assuming ##edit-files## is a manual process....
[21:07] <PeterDietz> which does my changes into my local git repository, then git svn dcommit does a commit to svn. This is complex, and confusing, and I don't recommend others do it, unless you know what you're doing
[21:07] * robint (522921b0@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:07] * stuartlewis doesn't know what he is doing :)
[21:07] * scottatm points out that we quite off topic.
[21:07] <PeterDietz> edit files, is vi SomeFile.java
[21:07] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:08] * mdiggory wonders what time it is
[21:08] <PeterDietz> the meeting ended 8 minutes ago
[21:08] * mdiggory thinks about his lunch
[21:08] * grahamtriggs1 wonders what kompewter is up to in the other chat room
[21:09] <PeterDietz> I called in the F-18's, had a github airstrike bombard the IRC
[21:09] * mdiggory wonders if kompewter can be programmed to make random commits to dspace repository
[21:09] <PeterDietz> .xkcd
[21:09] <kompewter> ImportError: No module named lxml (file "/opt/jenni/modules/xkcd.py", line 15, in xkcd)
[21:09] <PeterDietz> oohh fark
[21:11] <PeterDietz> the github stuff was that my sync process (cronjob) had been backed up, and so I fixed some stuff, and the sync happened. github has some post-commit hooks, which send in their robot army to announce commits
[21:11] <PeterDietz> ...stuff in #dspace a moment ago
[21:12] <stuartlewis> Where's everyone staying for OR11? Any recommendations?
[21:13] <PeterDietz> I've got a friend who lives in Austin that I used to live with when I lived in So-Cal, so I'm wondering if they'll be interested in me couch-surfing
[21:13] <PeterDietz> I'm not sure if I've got university money to pay for hotel yet
[21:16] <mhwood> For the conference proper I was told to stay at the ATT Center. For preconference I'm at Day's Inn University Downtown just north of the UT campus. Have never been to Austin so I don't know either one yet.
[21:20] <scottatm> When we go to Austin we typically try the Driskill hotel first. The place is awesome and expensive, but depending on when the legislature is in town you can sometimes get the state rate of 85$ a night. It's worth a phone call to see.
[21:21] <grahamtriggs1> I was going to stay at ATT for the conf, but I needed a night after the rate ran out, so rather than moving once / twice, I'm just staying at Hilton Garden Inn all the way through - same rate as the conference hotel, for all nights I'm there, and only a block away
[21:21] <mhwood> Wow. I looked at their rack rate and just closed the page.
[21:21] <scottatm> The other place we go is a bed and breakfast a few blocks from campus... about a 10 minute walk to the conference center. I'm looking up the name now.
[21:23] <scottatm> The bed and breakfast is "Star of Texas Inn"
[21:23] <stuartlewis> Anyone know off the top of their head what the ATT conference rate is?
[21:23] <scottatm> Like almost anyplace downtown they are not going to advertise their lower rates, you have to ask.
[21:24] <mhwood> $129 I think.
[21:24] <grahamtriggs1> I think it's around $130. Outside of the dates, it's $250
[21:25] <stuartlewis> scottatm: ssshhhh! Keep this place quiet - looks good, and only 2 rooms left!
[21:25] <scottatm> (oh, yeah, and it fills up fast)
[21:26] <stuartlewis> They also have another property: http://austinfolkhouse.com/
[21:26] <kompewter> [ Austin Folk House Bed and Breakfast Hotel, near the University of Texas ] - http://austinfolkhouse.com/
[21:27] <stuartlewis> Few more rooms going there.
[21:30] <PeterDietz> I'm out. see you all around
[21:30] <stuartlewis> Bye
[21:30] * PeterDietz (~PeterDiet@sul272peter.lib.ohio-state.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:32] <grahamtriggs1> I like the geeky humour at Star of Texas. Not so sure about the psychedelic buttons at Austin Folk.
[21:36] <mhwood> I'd better be going too. 'bye all.
[21:36] * mhwood (~mhwood@ has left #duraspace
[21:37] <mdiggory> sorry... minor emergency... thanks all
[22:23] * grahamtriggs1 (~Graham@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[23:04] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.