#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2011-06-01

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[1:22] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace
[1:40] * stuartlewis_ (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[1:42] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
[1:42] * stuartlewis_ is now known as stuartlewis
[1:48] * stuartlewis_ (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[1:50] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[1:50] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[1:52] * stuartlewis_ (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[2:00] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[6:50] -gibson.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:50] -gibson.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:50] -gibson.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:50] -gibson.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:50] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:50] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:50] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[12:16] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[13:01] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:59] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@ has joined #duraspace
[15:04] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[16:18] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@ Quit (Quit: sandsfish)
[16:18] * robertqin (~robertqin@bb116-14-148-4.singnet.com.sg) has joined #duraspace
[16:23] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@ has joined #duraspace
[16:24] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@ has left #duraspace
[16:25] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[17:17] * robertqin (~robertqin@bb116-14-148-4.singnet.com.sg) Quit ()
[17:40] * ablemann (~alexleman@ Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[18:05] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: Heading out...talk to you later.)
[18:16] * ablemann (~alexleman@ has joined #duraspace
[18:27] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[19:02] * keithg (~keith-noa@lib-kgilbertson.library.gatech.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:15] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:223:dfff:fefe:ac7d) has joined #duraspace
[19:22] * bojans (~Bojmen@88-117-17-79.adsl.highway.telekom.at) has joined #duraspace
[19:30] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:48] * vibhajrajan (~Unnikanna@ has joined #duraspace
[19:55] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C15567.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:59] <tdonohue> Hey all- Reminder, we have our DSpace Devel Mtg here in a few minutes. Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-06-01
[19:59] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2011-06-01 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-06-01
[20:00] * richardrodgers (~richardro@ has joined #duraspace
[20:00] * hpottinger (d86a33b5@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, welcome. Might as well get started with our weekly DSpace Devel Mtg. Agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-06-01
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2011-06-01 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-06-01
[20:01] <tdonohue> (also, sorry about any SSL Certificate warnings you see in Wiki or JIRA today -- we're having issues today getting our 'auto-renewed' SSL cert from our hosting provider)
[20:02] <tdonohue> Today, we'll start off with some JIRA Quick Review. Here's the issues left to review: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+Key%3E%3DDS-815+ORDER+BY+key+ASC
[20:02] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-815 ] - [#DS-815] DCDate throws NullPointerException with mangled dates - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:02] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+Key%3E%3DDS-815+ORDER+BY+key+ASC
[20:02] <tdonohue> starting with DS-815
[20:02] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-815 ] - [#DS-815] DCDate throws NullPointerException with mangled dates - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:04] <richardrodgers> the patch is in unit test code apparently?
[20:04] <tdonohue> Actually, I think the attached patch is just providing a Unit Test that shows the issue...
[20:05] <tdonohue> (so, I think the actual issue is somewhere else in our Java code)
[20:05] <tdonohue> But, that could be worth someone looking into (as I'm kinda guessing here)
[20:05] <richardrodgers> RIght - but I mean there is no patch for a proposed fix..
[20:06] <mhwood> Apparently not
[20:06] <tdonohue> correct. No proposed fix or proposed patch is provided
[20:06] <tdonohue> So, this would need a volunteer to analyze and look into a proposed fix
[20:07] <tdonohue> any volunteers? This sounds like something we should fix obviously (NPEs are never a good thing)
[20:07] <mhwood> I hate NPEs. I'll take it if no one else wants it.
[20:08] <tdonohue> Ds-815 Summary: Needs a fix. Assign to mhwood for initial analysis, etc.
[20:08] <tdonohue> Next, DS-816
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-816 ] - [#DS-816] Order of search types in XMLUI Advanced Search is arbitrary - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:09] <tdonohue> Looks like PeterDietz already has posted a proposed patch for Ds-816. Any other thoughts on this or votes +/-?
[20:09] <mhwood> Already assigned.
[20:09] <tdonohue> mhwood -- right, but we can still provide quick comments or quick review of patch
[20:10] * aschweer (~schweer@ has joined #duraspace
[20:11] <tdonohue> ok. hearing no comments on Ds-816, we'll move on. Leave assigned to PeterDietz, and ask him if he wants any further feedback on work, etc.
[20:11] <tdonohue> next up, DS-817
[20:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-817 ] - [#DS-817] DSpace Semantic Search v2.0 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <tdonohue> any thoughts on Ds-817. Should we treat this as an "externally supported addon"? Is this something we'd want to analyze for inclusion in DSpace out-of-the-box?
[20:14] <mhwood> It seems rather...specialized?
[20:15] <tdonohue> agreed there. I'd lean towards this remaining an "externally supported addon", unless we found a larger interest in our user community
[20:15] <richardrodgers> I do think a lot of work went into it - we should offer opinions...
[20:16] <mdiggory> yes, but if its still "in memory" then theres still performance concerns.
[20:16] <mhwood> I think so much work went into it that I'd need some weeks to study before I could venture a useful opinion.
[20:17] <mdiggory> I agree. I wonder if they would be kind enought o possibly come to a special topics meeting and give the group an overview
[20:18] <tdonohue> I'd agree with offering opinions, and encourage that. It is also something that begs the question "how do we want to support these sometimes specialists, larger addon submissions"
[20:18] <tdonohue> *sometimes specialized* (not specialists)
[20:18] * JRhoads (~jrhoads@ has joined #duraspace
[20:19] * robint (522921b0@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:19] <robint> Hi all, apologies for being late
[20:19] * mhwood starts looking for books on Semantic Web....
[20:20] <tdonohue> ok, Ds-817: Needs more detailed review. Maybe ask them for an overview? Or how they are using this tool locally? Needs a few volunteers to look into this
[20:21] <tdonohue> last one for today: DS-818
[20:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-818 ] - [#DS-818] Asynchronous Release - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:21] <tdonohue> Oh, this is just a "placeholder", I'm assuming, mdiggory?
[20:22] <mdiggory> right
[20:22] <tdonohue> Ok, so we'll skip over Ds-818 then, as that's a placeholder for a larger discussion
[20:22] <mdiggory> yes
[20:22] <tdonohue> and, that means we'll stop there, and move on to other topics for today
[20:23] * mdiggory notes he's going to have to leave early today and not be at the gsoc meeting. maybe someone can lead it for me?
[20:23] <tdonohue> General announcements: Congrats to everyone involved in 1.7.2. Especially to PeterDietz for his hard work (he's not here now as he & his wife are expecting a baby)
[20:23] <mdiggory> yes congrats
[20:24] <tdonohue> mdiggory: I was going to ask you the same...I won't make it to the GSoC meeting either :(
[20:24] <richardrodgers> Thanks PeterD
[20:24] <JRhoads> Yeah Congrats PeterD on both counts
[20:25] <JRhoads> And everyone else involved in 1.7.2
[20:26] <tdonohue> Ok, next announcement: we are *supposed* to have a GSoC meeting after this one. But, currently that meeting is "unmanned", so we'll see if anyone can stick around to lead it or not. (otherwise, the GSoC projects can update us all via email, which they've been doing well so far anyways!)
[20:26] <robint> tdonohue: apologies but I also wont be able to attend
[20:27] * keithg (~keith-noa@lib-kgilbertson.library.gatech.edu) has left #duraspace
[20:27] <tdonohue> Also, just a reminder: There will be NO Developer Meetings next Weds (June 8) as many of us will be at the Open Repositories conference. If you will also be at OR11, you are welcome to still sign up to join our face-to-face devel mtg on Mon, June 6
[20:28] <tdonohue> which brings us to our final topic for today: OR11 DSpace Developer Meeting Agenda!
[20:28] <tdonohue> I've posted an initial agenda here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-06-06+-+OR11+Meeting
[20:28] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2011-06-06 - OR11 Meeting - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-06-06+-+OR11+Meeting
[20:29] <tdonohue> I've also sent an email (to those signed up) asking you to *vote* on topics for the "Open Discussion Period" in the agenda. Here's the Doodle Poll if you'd like to add your votes: http://www.doodle.com/3h6vuwvp4bcqyn33
[20:29] <kompewter> [ Doodle: Hot Topics for OR11 DSpace Developers Mtg ] - http://www.doodle.com/3h6vuwvp4bcqyn33
[20:29] <richardrodgers> looks like a good turnout...
[20:29] <tdonohue> Does anyone have any further feedback / thoughts on this agenda? Does it look good? Are there "glaring omissions" in your mind?
[20:30] <tdonohue> richardrodgers: yea, looks to be a good mix of Committers, non-Committers who are active developers, 4 DCAT members, and a few potential "newbies"
[20:32] <mdiggory> seems like a good agenda thusfar...
[20:32] <mdiggory> great work tdonohue
[20:32] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:32] <kdweeks> I am so new to DSpace and DuraSpace my mind is still reeling with possibilities. I tried to squeeze one more day out of this trip ... unsuccessfully. I wont be getting in until later in the evening, but look forward to meeting the writers of all of the code and documentation I've been reading :)
[20:32] <tdonohue> So, no comments from anyone else must mean either: (a) we are all too busy preparing for OR11, or (b) you aren't too surprised or disagreeing with what is currently listed on the OR11 Mtg agenda
[20:33] <richardrodgers> mostly (a) for me :(
[20:33] <mhwood> Agenda looks doable and worthwhile.
[20:33] <tdonohue> kdweeks: glad to have you join our meeting. Definitely say "hi" at OR11!
[20:33] <robint> tdonohue: looks good. As they say at a Glasgow wedding 'let the fighting commence!'
[20:33] <robint> Ony joking !
[20:34] <robint> Only
[20:34] <tdonohue> wow, I need to go to more glasgow weddings, obviously :)
[20:34] <kdweeks> for sure, thanks for all of your accomplishments !
[20:34] <tdonohue> richardrodgers: I agree -- I'm swamped with things left to do before OR11 :)
[20:34] * stuartlewis notes, that on visiting the Duraspace wiki to take a look at the agenda, the SSL certificate has expired :( (will expire for most of you tomorrow)
[20:35] <tdonohue> stuartlewis -- yea, we are aware (we see that too right now). Currently, our "auto-renewed" SSL cert didn't "auto-renew" properly, and we are talking to our hosting provider (Go Daddy) about what happened and why we haven't gotten the SSL cert we already renewed :(
[20:35] <stuartlewis> Excellent :)
[20:36] <tdonohue> (So, apologies again for SSL Cert Errors you see. We hope to have them fixed today/tomorrow, and find ways to avoid them in the future)
[20:36] <tdonohue> Ok. So, that's all I had on the agenda for today. Since it sounds like everyone is busy, perhaps it's best to let out early today
[20:37] <stuartlewis> Agenda looks cool - but we'll have to be careful to keep 'updates' to be 'updates' and not turn into full discussions (e.g. "Updates on https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace-Fedora+Integration+FAQ work" could go on all day :)
[20:37] <kompewter> [ DSpace-Fedora Integration FAQ - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace-Fedora+Integration+FAQ
[20:37] <tdonohue> Again, if you haven't already, please vote for OR11 Developer Meeting Topics to discuss during our "Open Discussion Session". We can also change these during that day, depending on whether we are ahead or behind schedule: http://www.doodle.com/3h6vuwvp4bcqyn33
[20:37] <kompewter> [ Doodle: Hot Topics for OR11 DSpace Developers Mtg ] - http://www.doodle.com/3h6vuwvp4bcqyn33
[20:38] <hpottinger> I'm trying to add a comment on the doodle page, but, just to be sure, I'd like, if possible, to discuss streaming possibilities with DSpace, I'll be at OR11, find me :-)
[20:38] <tdonohue> stuartlewis: Agreed 100%. The "Quick Updates" need to be quick (and I'm going to try and be very strict about that). We need as much time to discuss larger issues/questions as we can afford in our face-to-face mtg
[20:39] <tdonohue> thanks hpottinger. We can see if we can fit it in. I know it may also be of interest to much of DCAT group (which we will also have some members from in attendance)
[20:40] <tdonohue> Ok all. I suggest we "call it a day". See many/most of you at OR11 next week! Looking forward to great discussions on Monday during our meeting (and some fun times at the pub afterwards as well)!
[20:40] <richardrodgers> see many of you in sweltering Austin soon...
[20:40] <stuartlewis> hpottinger: Our (Kim and I) presentation will cover the work we've done with red5.
[20:41] <tdonohue> yes, it will be very *hot* in Austin. 95-99 F most all week long
[20:41] <kdweeks> excellent, except for the sweltering part!
[20:41] <mhwood> Sunny too.
[20:42] <hpottinger> stuartlewis: cool, thanks, I'll check that out (been reading a bit about red5)
[20:42] <tdonohue> but, hey, it was also quite hot in Madrid, Spain last year. So, we should all be used to a sweltering Open Repositories conference :)
[20:43] <mhwood> Maybe I'll try thinking of it in Celsius terms since I'm not used to that. 35-38 doesn't sound so hot.
[20:44] * hpottinger has to run, bye folks!
[20:44] <tdonohue> GSoC Students & Mentors: Technically there's supposed to be a meeting in about 15 minutes here. But, neither mdiggory nor I can make it. So, we may want to "cancel" for today. However, any students/mentors who want to stick around and discuss projects are welcome to do so!
[20:44] * richardrodgers (~richardro@ Quit (Quit: richardrodgers)
[20:44] * hpottinger (d86a33b5@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:45] <tdonohue> bye all... I'm moving into "lurking" mode now
[20:45] <kdweeks> I've never been to Austin, but I could swelter a bit for another trip to Madrid. It was April when I was there. These OR meetings are at some pretty nice places.
[20:46] <tdonohue> +1 to that kdweeks. My wife & I tend to add a vacation on the end of many OR meetings, as the locations are so nice!
[20:49] <kdweeks> Nice idea!
[20:54] * vibhajrajan (~Unnikanna@ has left #duraspace
[20:54] * gaurav_cod3r (75c6216d@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:56] * robint (522921b0@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:57] * bojans (~Bojmen@88-117-17-79.adsl.highway.telekom.at) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[20:58] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[20:58] * robertqin (~robertqin@bb116-14-172-106.singnet.com.sg) has joined #duraspace
[20:58] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[20:59] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[20:59] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:171:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has left #duraspace
[21:00] * gaurav_cod3r (75c6216d@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:02] * JRhoads (~jrhoads@ has left #duraspace
[21:05] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C15567.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[21:06] <tdonohue> robertqin and gaurav_cod3r: in case you missed the (rather late) decision during our Developers Meeting, we're unfortunately canceling the GSoC update meeting today. We've got a major conference (Open Repositories) next week, and most of us are busy preparing for it.
[21:06] <robertqin> i see...
[21:06] <tdonohue> But, we'd encourage GSoC updates via email this week (and next)!
[21:06] <robertqin> Okay thanks for the update !
[21:07] <robertqin> I'll post my updates via the gsoc mailing list
[21:07] <robertqin> will there be a make up meeting later this week ?
[21:07] <tdonohue> you're welcome. Sorry, this is our *one big conference* each year for DSpace/DuraSpace. So, this should be the only time that we'll cancel a GSoC meeting
[21:07] <robertqin> okay Tim!
[21:07] <robertqin> no probs !
[21:08] <tdonohue> Unfortunately, likely there will be no makeup, so email updates/discussion are best. The Conference is all of next week (June 6-10). Most of us will be traveling over the weekend.
[21:08] <tdonohue> because of the conference next week, there also won't be a meeting next week either (in fact, IRC will likely be very "empty"). But, we will all be checking email!
[21:09] <robertqin> Ok noted !
[21:10] <robertqin> i'll keep you all posted !
[21:10] <tdonohue> We'll return to our normal schedule the week of June 13th, with our next GSoC update meeting on June 15th. Until then, definitely keep us posted! :)
[21:11] * gaurav_cod3r (75c6216d@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[21:13] * gaurav_cod3r (75c6216d@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Client Quit)
[21:58] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[22:00] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[22:00] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[22:04] * stuartlewis_ (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[22:05] * robertqin (~robertqin@bb116-14-172-106.singnet.com.sg) Quit ()
[22:05] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[22:05] * stuartlewis_ is now known as stuartlewis
[22:06] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Client Quit)
[22:07] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[22:21] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:24] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@c-24-60-203-182.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[22:24] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@c-24-60-203-182.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) Quit (Client Quit)
[22:29] * kdweeks (~Adium@2001:468:c80:a103:223:dfff:fefe:ac7d) has left #duraspace
[22:48] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[23:16] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[23:40] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.