#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2011-07-06

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[2:18] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[6:46] -niven.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:46] -niven.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:46] -niven.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:46] -niven.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:47] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:47] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:47] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:17] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has joined #duraspace
[12:29] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[13:31] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:31] * mhwood1 (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[13:31] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[14:00] * mhwood1 (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[14:01] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[14:14] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[14:15] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) has joined #duraspace
[16:01] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:218:8bff:fe2a:56a4) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[16:16] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:21e:4fff:feba:a425) has joined #duraspace
[16:20] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:21e:4fff:feba:a425) has left #duraspace
[16:29] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has left #duraspace
[16:46] * kompewter (~kompewter@sul272peter.lib.ohio-state.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[16:58] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:21e:4fff:feba:a425) has joined #duraspace
[17:50] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:21e:4fff:feba:a425) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[17:50] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:21e:4fff:feba:a425) has joined #duraspace
[18:40] * keithg (~keith-noa@lib-kgilbertson.library.gatech.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:56] * KevinVdV (KevinVdV@d54C14CC6.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:58] <tdonohue> Hi all, as usual, DSpace Devel meeting here in a few minutes: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-07-06
[20:00] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:02] <tdonohue> Hi all. Time for our DSpace Developers Meeting. Seems like a smaller group today (many must be on vacation/holiday). In any case, here's our agenda: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-07-06
[20:02] * ryscher (~chatzilla@cpe-076-182-096-197.nc.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:02] <tdonohue> We'll start off with some JIRA reviews as usual.
[20:02] <tdonohue> here's our list of JIRA issues needing some review: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+Key%3E%3DDS-829+ORDER+BY+key+ASC
[20:03] <tdonohue> First up is: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-829
[20:03] <aschweer> I'm happy to look into this one a bit -- I have a bunch of other OAI issues that I want to look at anyway
[20:03] * tdonohue notes it looks like PeterDietz's kompewter "bot" is offline today, so we'll have to paste in full links
[20:03] <aschweer> though I agree with Robin's comments
[20:03] * kompewter (~kompewter@sul272peter.lib.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:03] <PeterDietz> DS-829
[20:03] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-829 ] - [#DS-829] OAI Extended Addon : Adding filter and modifying capacities to the OAI interface - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:04] <tdonohue> Thanks aschweer. I think Ds-829 just needs some more eyes on it. It'd be good to get them an answer around whether it seems like a logical feature for 1.8 (or if major changes would be necessary)
[20:05] <tdonohue> thanks also PeterDieta for bringing back kompewter ;)
[20:05] <tdonohue> PeterDietz that is
[20:05] <kompewter> tdonohue: You're welcome.
[20:05] <PeterDietz> yep, I'm back in the office nowadays
[20:06] <tdonohue> welcome back
[20:06] <tdonohue> ok, Ds-829 summary: aschweer is going to also review this one. Hopefully between her and robint we can start to determine the plausibility of inclusion for 1.8
[20:06] <aschweer> yup
[20:07] <tdonohue> Next up, DS-830
[20:07] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-830 ] - [#DS-830] Request a Copy Addon : Requesting access to restricted items in DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:07] * tdonohue should note...there's about 3-4 in a row here which are *larger* new features which were submitted by U of Minho & others. So, many of these essentially need someone to review the work and comment on it, etc
[20:08] <aschweer> isn't Ds-830 very similar, functionality-wise, to an issue we reviewed last week?
[20:08] <aschweer> (sorry, pre morning coffee, hence a bit vague on details)
[20:09] <tdonohue> hmmm...I actually don't recall (but I'm forgetful at times)
[20:09] <aschweer> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-824
[20:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-824 ] - [#DS-824] Request Copy function for XMLUI; would allow author of item to give viewing privs to restricted item - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:09] <kompewter> [ [#DS-824] Request Copy function for XMLUI; would allow author of item to give viewing privs to restricted item - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-824
[20:10] <tdonohue> aha! Thanks aschweer. You have a better memory than I!
[20:10] <aschweer> cheers :)
[20:10] <tdonohue> looks like we should link Ds-830 to Ds-824 (latter is already assigned to scottatm)
[20:10] <aschweer> I agree
[20:10] * richardrodgers (~richardro@ has joined #duraspace
[20:10] * robint (522921b0@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:11] <tdonohue> Summary for Ds-830: Link to Ds-824, as they are related and Ds-830 contains the latest code from U of Minho. Ds-824 is already assigned to scottatm
[20:11] <tdonohue> Next up, DS-831
[20:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-831 ] - [#DS-831] Recent items addon : Listing of most recently added items to DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:12] <aschweer> this looks like it's jspui only
[20:12] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@ has joined #duraspace
[20:12] <tdonohue> right...that's ok though, we don't require new features be for *both* xmlui and jspui anymore
[20:12] <robint> Hi all. Apologies for being late
[20:12] <sandsfish> likewise
[20:12] <richardrodgers> Has anyone reviewed/looked at this?
[20:13] <tdonohue> no prob, we're just doing a JIRA review (as normal)
[20:13] <tdonohue> richardrodgers: not to my knowledge. Ds-831 needs a review
[20:14] <robint> Hi aschweer: I'll email you some thoughts I have about DS829. Cheers
[20:14] <aschweer> thanks robint
[20:14] <tdonohue> wait, isn't a version of Ds-830 already in DSpace? We call it "Recent Submissions" (it's at least in the XMLUI in 1.7.x)
[20:15] <aschweer> yes, one of my repos is running it. not sure there is anything for jspui though
[20:15] <aschweer> (assuming you mean Ds-831)
[20:15] <tdonohue> yes, sorry, Ds-831 is what I meant :) mistyped
[20:16] <richardrodgers> Recent Submissions have been in DSpace since the ice age
[20:16] <PeterDietz> this feature gives recent submissions to the homepage
[20:17] <tdonohue> ok, so, I guess in the end, we still just need a volunteer to review Ds-831 and report back
[20:17] <tdonohue> any volunteers?
[20:19] <tdonohue> Ok, Ds-831 Summary: Needs a volunteer to review & report back. If anyone has time, we'd appreciate others opinions on this feature.
[20:20] <tdonohue> Let's go ahead and do one more (as this is the last of the group of Minho patches in JIRA): DS-832
[20:20] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-832 ] - [#DS-832] Stats Add-on - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:20] <tdonohue> So, this is the Minho Statistics Engine. What are others opinions on this? Do we give them a place in our SVN for this code? Do we make it another option for a Stats engine in DSpace?
[20:21] <aschweer> what are the experiences with previous versions of their stats add-on? is it typically stable enough that others can pretty much run it out of the box?
[20:22] <richardrodgers> I think the svn issue is not as important as how projects like this get distributed/managed...
[20:22] <robint> Historically there were some issues but it has improved a lot over the years
[20:22] <PeterDietz> The only comment I have minho stats was that it took work to "americanize" the dates
[20:23] <tdonohue> I do recall that this (Minho stats) was one of the more popular Statistics Engines until the Solr-based Stats were created. I know some folks still use Minho Stats, but I don't have any experience with it myself
[20:23] * bojans (~bojan@ has joined #duraspace
[20:23] <aschweer> from a quick glance at the zip file, it seems to make changes to the db schema, so I guess the comment by richardrodgers is very true
[20:24] <tdonohue> yes, it does change the DB schema.
[20:24] <robint> Yep it uses a seperate postgres namespace for their tables (not sure if namespace is the right term)
[20:25] <tdonohue> So, what do we think about these sorts of projects? Do we just let them "sit idle in JIRA"? Do we offer up SVN space (but not necessarily support the code ourselves)?
[20:25] <tdonohue> (also, we can set this aside & "table it" if we feel this is a much larger discussion -- e.g. semi-related perhaps to modules & async releases & similar)
[20:26] <aschweer> feels to me like it belongs to that larger discussion
[20:26] <richardrodgers> me too
[20:27] <sandsfish> a larger discussion as well for the way to accomplish add-on database tables...
[20:28] <robint> It might be worth an email to the Minho guys just to say that their various contributions are actively being looked at
[20:28] <tdonohue> Ok. Ds-832 Summary: We need to determine how best to distribute/manage these sorts of projects in the future. This should be part of the larger 'async & modules' discussions, as it provides a good example of a third-party module, etc.
[20:29] <tdonohue> robint: sure, though currently we only have volunteers for Ds-829 and Ds-830. Ds-831 didn't get a volunteer, and Ds-832 was tabled for the async discussion
[20:30] <robint> tdonohue: understood, but I think thats better than nothing. I'll email if thats ok with everyone
[20:31] <tdonohue> robint: sounds good. I'll also post a comment specifically to Ds-832 to describe why this is "tabled", and how it may relate to future async discussions (so that they understand some of what is being discussed)
[20:32] <tdonohue> Ok, we'll stop JIRA review there for today.
[20:32] * gaurav_kl (75c623fc@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:33] <tdonohue> The rest of the meeting is actually basically "open discussion" today (I couldn't think of any specific topics to fit in, and none were suggested). Do we want to just talk about 1.8 updates or anything anyone needs support/feedback on?
[20:33] <tdonohue> (essentially, the "floor is open" for someone to suggest a topic)
[20:34] <KevinVdV> Well I do have something, but it is discovery related and not sure how familiar everybody is with the discovery code
[20:34] <robint> Go for it
[20:35] <KevinVdV> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DSCR-22
[20:35] <kompewter> [ [#DSCR-22] Discovery module back end rewrite to support discovery without solr. - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DSCR-22
[20:35] <KevinVdV> This is something that I am working on in my free time (for those of you who don't know I'm also an employee for @mire)
[20:36] <sandsfish> using something specific instead of solr for you dev?
[20:36] <robint> tdonohue: did Mark bring this up at the tail end of last weeks meeting ?
[20:36] <tdonohue> yea, what is the "something other than solr" that you are using?
[20:36] <richardrodgers> elasticsearch?
[20:37] <tdonohue> yes, this came up in one of the recent weeks as well...looking back for notes...
[20:37] <KevinVdV> Well the something is something I did for a customer of ours
[20:37] <KevinVdV> http://vivisimo.com/
[20:37] <kompewter> [ Vivisimo | Information Optimization ] - http://vivisimo.com/
[20:38] <KevinVdV> They wanted to plug that into the backend of discovery, so I made something for them & then I rewrote it to make it better & the result is in the patch
[20:38] * gaurav_kl (75c623fc@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:38] <tdonohue> mdiggory had brought up DSCR-22 at end of meeting on June 22: http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2011-06-22 (at approx. [21:09] time)
[20:38] <kompewter> [ IRC Log for #duraspace on irc.freenode.net, collected by DuraLogBot ] - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2011-06-22
[20:39] <KevinVdV> Ofc the implemention for vivisimo isn't shared since it isn't usefull but I think the feature that anybody can plug any backend into it might be very usefull
[20:39] <tdonohue> during meeting on June 22 we had discussed targeting a few Committers who are working heavily with Discovery to have them review DSCR-22 (stuartlewis & kshepherd were mentioned)
[20:40] <tdonohue> KevinVdV did you still mainly need volunteer(s) to review this work?
[20:41] <richardrodgers> Can it be reviewed without the alternate back-end?
[20:41] * kshepherd looks up
[20:41] <KevinVdV> Well Mark Diggory has reviewed and likes it (don't know why he hasn't said so in the JIRA but prob to busy...)
[20:41] <tdonohue> Alternatively, is there anyone here who is using Discovery heavily already, and would be interested in looking at this patch/change?
[20:41] <KevinVdV> It can be reviewed without the alternate back end. The solr backend is still used by default
[20:42] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:42] <tdonohue> KevinVdV : Although it's great to hear mdiggory likes it, it's usually
[20:42] <tdonohue> it's usually "best practice" to have a few committers take a look at it if it's a larger change like this sounds
[20:43] <KevinVdV> I already sent an additional mail for that to KimShepard & Stuart lewis & DSpace devel to get additional reviews
[20:43] <KevinVdV> http://www.mail-archive.com/dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net/msg14523.html (you might find it in your email box)
[20:43] <kompewter> [ [Dspace-tech] Discovery Back end rewrite review required ] - http://www.mail-archive.com/dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net/msg14523.html
[20:43] <PeterDietz> I think its good to generalize the things that were so tightly integrated with Solr. So this is good work. I was trying to connect dspace-stats to use something other than solr, and would first have to generalize the implementation
[20:44] <PeterDietz> so.. this is essentially the work needed to be done.. to discovery
[20:44] <kshepherd> hm, i don't recall getting anything, maybe i missed it
[20:44] <tdonohue> PeterDietz: have you already taken a look at this DSCR-22 patch then? Or would you be willing to review & add your thoughts in comments?
[20:44] <KevinVdV> Anybody is free to review it
[20:45] <tdonohue> I think essentially, we just need more "eyes" on DSCR-22. I'd be fine with it if we can get a few folks to add their +1 to it. It sounds like mdiggory is already in favor
[20:46] <KevinVdV> The reason why I bring this up now is because I would like to so it committed in the near future because I'm on vacation and might find some time to improve the configuration of discovery
[20:46] * ryscher (~chatzilla@cpe-076-182-096-197.nc.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[20:47] * ryscher (~chatzilla@cpe-076-182-096-197.nc.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:47] <richardrodgers> So the intent is to have it in 1.8?
[20:47] <robint> In principle I'm in favour but I'm ignorant abut the implementation of Discovery
[20:48] <tdonohue> based on discussion on June 22, mdiggory really wanted this change in 1.8.0 (but, I know mdiggory is on vacation this week, which is why he isn't here to add his thoughts)
[20:48] <KevinVdV> T.b.h. I kind of have some more work planned for 1.8, but again I'm doing this in my free time so I don't know how far I'm going to get
[20:48] <aschweer> same as robint
[20:51] <tdonohue> Ok, sounds like we have no one wanting to volunteer here, KevinVdV. I can always respond to your initial email, and see if we can find someone who is using Discovery / Solr more heavily to review the work.
[20:51] <kshepherd> i can review, but i'm so "solr" centric myself that i don't have any other backends to test, nor the desire to move to anything that isn't solr ;)
[20:52] <kshepherd> maybe i could test out elasticsearch one day, but since that means writing hte discovery impl for it, i don't think that'll be any time soon
[20:52] <tdonohue> kshepherd: well, it also could be worth having your opinion on it, in case it changes how we are using solr underneath/etc.
[20:53] <tdonohue> I'll also see if I can find some time to do a brief review (though admittedly, I've not really used Discovery much myself)
[20:53] <tdonohue> Any other thoughts or updates for today?
[20:54] <tdonohue> It's worth mentioning that the 1.8 FEATURE FREEZE is in just a little over a month (Aug 19). So, I hope everyone is getting their new features ready to go, etc
[20:55] <richardrodgers> arghhh
[20:55] <robint> I'm sharpening my email pen to start pestering people :)
[20:55] <kshepherd> tdonohue: yep i'll ry to check it out
[20:55] <kshepherd> try*
[20:56] * kshepherd brushes the cobwebs off his JIRA 'assigned to me' list
[20:56] <KevinVdV> Thanks kShepherd
[20:57] * tdonohue needs to do the same (brush off the cobwebs in JIRA)
[20:58] <robint> I'm going to duck out. Cheers all.
[20:58] * robint (522921b0@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[20:58] <tdonohue> Ok. It sounds like that's it for today. I don't have anything else to update folks on. As normal, there's a DSpace GSoC Meeting here in a few minutes, if you are interested in sticking around,etc.
[20:59] <richardrodgers> have to run, thanks all
[20:59] * richardrodgers (~richardro@ Quit (Quit: richardrodgers)
[20:59] * kshepherd has a regular expressions / google refine webinar to give soon ;P
[21:00] <sandsfish> later all
[21:00] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@ Quit (Quit: sandsfish)
[21:00] <mhwood> Must go too.
[21:00] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:21e:4fff:feba:a425) has left #duraspace
[21:00] <KevinVdV> Need to run also still on vacation
[21:01] * KevinVdV (KevinVdV@d54C14CC6.access.telenet.be) Quit ()
[21:01] <tdonohue> Ok, it's time to switch over to DSpace GSoC Meeting. Anyone have anything GSoC related to discuss or any updates to post? (It looks like our GSoC attendance is a bit down today, so it may be a short meeting)
[21:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:21e:4fff:feba:a425) has joined #duraspace
[21:02] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:21e:4fff:feba:a425) has left #duraspace
[21:02] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: leaving)
[21:03] <bojans> for our REST UI project, Vibhaj is not present currently
[21:03] <bojans> as it has been reported a few days ago, test instance is opened
[21:03] <bojans> i think the wiki page with guidelines should be available soon
[21:05] <tdonohue> sounds good, bojans
[21:06] <tdonohue> also, a reminder to all GSoC Mentors -- next week is the MidTerm Evaluations. So, you should have received an email from me about how to submit these evaluations. We must have them in by Fri, July 15.
[21:06] * ryscher (~chatzilla@cpe-076-182-096-197.nc.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[21:07] <tdonohue> Any other GSoC updates from anyone?
[21:08] * ryscher (~chatzilla@cpe-076-182-096-197.nc.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:09] <tdonohue> ok, sounds like nothing else to chat about on the GSoC front. So, if anyone else has any questions/comments/updates, feel free to post to the GSoC mailing list
[21:10] <bojans> ok
[21:10] <tdonohue> I'll hang out here for a bit, in case any other discussion starts happening. But, sounds like the official meeting is a short one today :)
[21:13] * robertqin (~robertqin@bb116-14-145-130.singnet.com.sg) has joined #duraspace
[21:19] * ryscher (~chatzilla@cpe-076-182-096-197.nc.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[21:21] * ryscher (~chatzilla@cpe-076-182-096-197.nc.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:26] * ryscher (~chatzilla@cpe-076-182-096-197.nc.res.rr.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[21:27] * ryscher (~chatzilla@cpe-076-182-096-197.nc.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[21:30] * ryscher (~chatzilla@cpe-076-182-096-197.nc.res.rr.com) Quit (Client Quit)
[21:38] * bojans (~bojan@ Quit (Quit: Ex-Chat)
[21:48] * robertqin (~robertqin@bb116-14-145-130.singnet.com.sg) has left #duraspace
[22:00] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:02] * keithg (~keith-noa@lib-kgilbertson.library.gatech.edu) Quit (Quit: keithg)
[23:01] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.