#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2011-07-20

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:50] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:50] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:50] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:50] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:50] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:50] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:50] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[7:46] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has joined #duraspace
[7:48] * grahamtriggs1 (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has joined #duraspace
[7:49] * grahamtriggs2 (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has joined #duraspace
[7:52] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 255 seconds)
[7:53] * grahamtriggs1 (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 255 seconds)
[12:22] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:26] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:58] * krnl_ (Andrius@ Quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[16:02] * krnl_ (Andrius@ has joined #duraspace
[16:08] * barmintor (barmintor@specdl11.cul.columbia.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:08] * grahamtriggs2 (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has left #duraspace
[16:24] * krnl_ (Andrius@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[16:28] * krnl_ (Andrius@ has joined #duraspace
[16:37] * krnl_ (Andrius@ Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[16:40] * krnl_ (Andrius@ has joined #duraspace
[19:04] * barmintor (barmintor@specdl11.cul.columbia.edu) Quit ()
[19:51] <tdonohue> Hi all, reminder we have our DSpace Devel Mtg here in about 10mins. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-07-20
[19:51] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2011-07-20 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-07-20
[19:55] * cccharles (~chris@ has joined #duraspace
[19:56] * robint (522921b0@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:57] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C14B16.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <tdonohue> Hi all, time for our weekly DSpace Developers meeting. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-07-20
[20:00] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2011-07-20 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2011-07-20
[20:01] <tdonohue> We'll start off with usual JIRA review. Here's the list of tickets to review: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+Key%3E%3DDS-847+ORDER+BY+key+ASC
[20:01] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-847 ] - [#DS-847] Items without title or author display incorrectly in browse lists - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:01] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+Key%3E%3DDS-847+ORDER+BY+key+ASC
[20:01] <tdonohue> starting with DS-847
[20:01] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-847 ] - [#DS-847] Items without title or author display incorrectly in browse lists - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:02] <robint> Going off at a tangent, I wonder hoe they created the item?
[20:03] <robint> hoe/how
[20:03] <tdonohue> good question. obviously, the UIs require a Title (but not an author). Maybe bulk ingest (though I thought that needed a title too)?
[20:03] <robint> This is similar to DS-815
[20:03] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-815 ] - [#DS-815] DCDate throws NullPointerException with mangled dates - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:03] <robint> I suspect these problems are being caused by bulk importing
[20:03] <robint> ...of dodgy data
[20:04] <tdonohue> seems like we should somehow catch an untitled item (just as a backup strategy) and display "untitled" or similar
[20:04] <robint> Should we be changing code to cater for this dodgy data ?
[20:05] <tdonohue> i'd say we may want to. It may be hard to ensure the data coming in isn't dodgy (from all the various ways data can be imported)
[20:05] <PeterDietz> UI's would catch that title is nonexistant, and should handle the "Untitled"
[20:06] <robint> But we also expose data in lots of ways - UI's, OAI, Sword, AIPs
[20:06] <tdonohue> Ok, any volunteers to investigate this? (IIRC, I think JSPUI already does the "untitled" handling -- so this may just be XMLUI)
[20:07] <mhwood> Well then they should all go to one place where we can enforce rules.
[20:07] <PeterDietz> I don't think there are rules on metadata
[20:07] <mhwood> However, UIs should handle this gracefully.
[20:07] <PeterDietz> I'm free to fix this in XMLUI
[20:08] <tdonohue> Ok, Ds-815 summary: assign to PeterDietz for more investigation & resolution
[20:08] <tdonohue> ack..I mean Ds-847 summary
[20:08] <tdonohue> next up, DS-848
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-848 ] - [#DS-848] Add MARCXML crosswalk for OAI-PMH - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:09] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ has joined #duraspace
[20:10] <robint> Looks sensible. I'll take it unless anyone else wants it.
[20:10] <tdonohue> Ds-848 seems reasonable enough. I think we could add this crosswalk & just comment it out by default
[20:10] <mhwood> Sounds worthwhile, but I have no MARCXML to try it with and don't know what that looks like anyway.
[20:11] <tdonohue> ok, Ds-848 summary: several think it looks reasonable. Assign to robint for committing. (May want to comment out by default in oaicat.properties?)
[20:12] * tdonohue Sidenote: I should mention, if you volunteer for an issue, it'd be good if you could just go "claim it yourself". I try my best to keep up and assign things to folks, but it'd be helpful (to me) if you could just go grab it
[20:12] <tdonohue> next up: DS-849
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-849 ] - [#DS-849] create a non-Porter Stemming analyzer for DSpace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <tdonohue> hpottinger said he wouldn't make it here today to discuss this. but, he left a note in #dspace earlier
[20:13] <tdonohue> he said: "we've built with this revised patch in production, but haven't made extensive use of the new analyzer, except for our dark archive"
[20:15] <tdonohue> Any thoughts on this? We could also just make this alternate StemmingAnalyzer available to folks who want it (but not enable it by default)
[20:16] <robint> Not an area I know anything about
[20:17] <mhwood> Same here. I just started reading about Lucene yesterday.
[20:17] <tdonohue> There's a lot more background on the links Hardy provided in the description. Essentially, DSpace (with existing StemmingAnalyzer) does things like *always* stem "wellness" to "well", which hinders findability of some terms
[20:18] <tdonohue> Ok, I'll take a look at Ds-849, as I'm aware of some of these past complaints on dspace-tech and similar
[20:19] <tdonohue> Ds-849 Summary: Assign to tdonohue
[20:19] <tdonohue> One more for today DS-850
[20:19] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-850 ] - [#DS-850] Vocabulary with closed=&quot;true&quot; not save value filled - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:20] <tdonohue> hmm...anyone familiar with this area of code? (I'll admit, I'm not)
[20:21] <mhwood> I just looked at it for the first time half an hour ago and haven't got anything to work yet.
[20:21] <mhwood> Since I'm working in there anyway I could take this one too.
[20:22] <tdonohue> Ok, assign Ds-850 to mhwood for analysis
[20:22] <tdonohue> mhwood -- note, if you are in that area, it looks like Ds-851 is also related (it's up to you if you'd like to claim that as well)
[20:23] <tdonohue> we'll stop the JIRA review there for today
[20:23] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:23] <tdonohue> Ok, a few discussion topics to bring up today.
[20:24] <tdonohue> First up, Apple is interested in seeing DSpace support Media RSS feeds (for iTunesU). They've been in touch with PeterDietz & I about getting something available for DSpace
[20:24] <tdonohue> PeterDietz has been working hard and has posted his latest up at DS-528
[20:24] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-528 ] - [#DS-528] RSS feeds to support richer features, such as iTunes Podcast or Media RSS - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:25] <mdiggory> Thats great to hear.
[20:25] <tdonohue> So, I was actually wondering what others thought about this, and whether we should consider this for inclusion in 1.8.0? From what I recall, PeterDietz has this working in production (but he can correct me if I'm wrong here)
[20:25] <PeterDietz> Hi, Apple contacted us, as they heard that DSpace would be a good source for populating podcast feeds. And we've been able to make that happen.
[20:27] <mdiggory> is it just improving the current RSS classes (ie Rome)
[20:27] <tdonohue> Here's peter's latest patch: https://github.com/peterdietz/DSpace/commit/0a87ba181c149bba1af97ed95a861b59a0ed3dc0.diff Looks like it's mostly just some new dspace.cfg configs which then enable Enhanced RSS feeds
[20:27] <PeterDietz> correct, RSS is the same Rome, but when configured for podcast support will add itunes metadata for enclosing the media
[20:28] <mdiggory> seems like a good candiate to get into 1.8
[20:28] <tdonohue> for the record, I'd be +1 on this for 1.8 as well
[20:28] <robint> Sounds great (no pun intended), +1
[20:28] <mhwood> +1
[20:29] <tdonohue> excellent, sounds like DS-528 is good to go for 1.8. Feel free to move it forward PeterDietz -- and don't forget to update our Config Docs in DSDOCDEV ;)
[20:29] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-528 ] - [#DS-528] RSS feeds to support richer features, such as iTunes Podcast or Media RSS - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:29] <PeterDietz> mdiggory and I had a dialog that is in chat-transcript.txt, it would be nice to also make RSS feeds creatable based on some other criteria, such as a search for -- subject:engineering contains:audio,
[20:30] <tdonohue> yea, that would be a nice change in the future
[20:30] <PeterDietz> ...as opposed to being the feed for a collection. But, our communities and collections on campus are neatly organized and put their content in specific collections
[20:30] <mdiggory> smells of discovery ;-0
[20:31] <tdonohue> yea, seems like there should be a way to leverage discovery in the future. But, I think, as-is, it'd still be a good addition for 1.8 (obviously)
[20:31] <mdiggory> yes, that would be another project...
[20:31] <PeterDietz> so.. I'll commit this, and add to documentation. people can use it in the next release
[20:31] <tdonohue> thanks, PeterDietz!
[20:31] <tdonohue> Ok. Any other updates for 1.8? Anything needing more eyes, etc.?
[20:31] <KevinVdV> I have somethin
[20:32] <KevinVdV> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-961
[20:32] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-961 ] - [#DS-961] Oracle update sequence script can result in deleted sequences - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:32] <kompewter> [ [#DS-961] Oracle update sequence script can result in deleted sequences - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-961
[20:32] <KevinVdV> Found it today
[20:32] <KevinVdV> It is oracle though....
[20:33] <tdonohue> yea, I'll admit, I don't know Oracle all that well, but it sounds reasonable based on description
[20:33] <KevinVdV> The solution has been tested
[20:33] <tdonohue> cool. well, then I'm OK with it, unless anyone has objections
[20:34] <robint> No objections here
[20:34] <PeterDietz> looks good, thanks for finding it
[20:34] <tdonohue> ok, sounds like we should move this fix forward then. Thanks KevinVdV!
[20:35] <tdonohue> I'll mention (possibly in regards to 1.8), DS-456 (one of my crazy ideas) has been gaining traction in DCAT.
[20:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-456 ] - [#DS-456] Create easy upgrade scripts (e.g. 'dspace upgrade 1.6 1.7'), likely in Java - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:36] <tdonohue> Not sure what others think of this -- I know this could be opening a can of worms (obviously an "easy upgrade script" would not work for everyone, especially those who've done major customizations)
[20:37] <mdiggory> TBH, a script like this might allow us to get the sql files out of dspace/etc and into dspace-api/src/main/resources
[20:37] <tdonohue> true, that's a very good point, mdiggory.
[20:37] <mdiggory> and or other addons
[20:38] <aschweer> based on what we see on the mailing lists, I think a way to quickly get dspace up and running would be great to have
[20:38] <mdiggory> I would also say that,if done using the ServiceManager... it can be plugged into by addons
[20:38] <mhwood> I like that. I'm not so sure about telling the script where you're starting from -- 'twould be better for the script to ask DSpace what version it is.
[20:38] <mdiggory> such that an addon can provide an InstallationProvider
[20:39] <mdiggory> and complete tasks it needs to do for install and/or uninstall
[20:39] <tdonohue> mhwood -- yea, assuming you are on a current version of Dspace, the script should be able to figure out what version you are using. But, as we all know, in older versions, that wasn't really possible
[20:39] <PeterDietz> aschweer: That was my goal with the Ubuntu guide. Thanks for updating it.
[20:39] <mdiggory> tasks would involve (1) adding/changing database (2) adding / changing config/modules files and so on
[20:40] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- all that sounds like good ideas to me (the more I've played with the Services side of things in recent weeks, the more I like it)
[20:41] <mdiggory> maybe even individual addon installs could be created... dspace upgrade discovery 1.6 1.7
[20:42] <tdonohue> So, the other question is -- anyone have some time to throw towards this (Ds-845)? I might be able to try and find time later, but it may not be in time for Feature Freeze (hard to say)
[20:42] <mdiggory> I wonder if we should try to fit in the ScriptLaunchr rewrite I used in the tutorial... that would allow addons to actually add commands to the ScriptLauncher without the xml launcher config being needed.
[20:43] <mdiggory> DS-845?
[20:43] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-845 ] - [#DS-845] Support for DSpace Domain Model Interfaces - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:44] <tdonohue> ugh..I'm not typing well today . I mean DS-456 obviously
[20:44] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-456 ] - [#DS-456] Create easy upgrade scripts (e.g. 'dspace upgrade 1.6 1.7'), likely in Java - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:44] <tdonohue> mdiggory, as for the ScriptLauncher stuff....I liked your tutorial (even I learned a lot going through it on my own). I think it might be a good addition, but probably should post it to JIRA to ensure others agree?
[20:45] <mdiggory> I'm more of the opinion of getting ScriptLauncher to be ServiceManager driven... then it can even be an addon to DSpace...
[20:45] <mdiggory> Ds-456 that is
[20:46] <tdonohue> I'm not sure I fully understand your point there, mdiggory? I like the idea of the ScriptLauncher perhaps being Service driven -- but, that seems completely different than DS-456? what am I missing?
[20:46] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-456 ] - [#DS-456] Create easy upgrade scripts (e.g. 'dspace upgrade 1.6 1.7'), likely in Java - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:47] <mdiggory> By making it so that an Addon can contribute commands directly to "dspace" script... you can then write the upgrade code as an addon and possibly even contribute it after the feature freeze or release...
[20:48] <tdonohue> oh, I get it now. Ok, I see what you mean. My brain didn't make that "leap" immediately
[20:49] <tdonohue> I'd still suggest it might be best to submit the ScriptLauncher changes as a *separate* JIRA ticket and link them together. But, yes, I'd agree then that Ds-456 may be able to leverage those ScriptLauncher changes
[20:49] <mdiggory> thats the challenge with IRC... presenting an idea in as few words as possible sometimes means its not understood
[20:49] <tdonohue> yep, I agree :)
[20:50] <mdiggory> I can do that...
[20:50] <tdonohue> thanks, sounds good then
[20:50] <mdiggory> hey... this just came in, maybe a quick call to have it looked at... DS-962
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-962 ] - [#DS-962] SubmissionProcess Configuration - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:50] <mdiggory> This is Gaurav's GSoC contribution
[20:51] <tdonohue> Ok. I'll see if I can grab Ds-456 if no one else gets to it first. Hopefully we can still fit it into 1.8 somehow, time permitting
[20:51] <tdonohue> ok, I just saw DS-962 as well
[20:51] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-962 ] - [#DS-962] SubmissionProcess Configuration - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:52] <mdiggory> His objective in opening this is to get the contribution process started before the end of GSoC
[20:52] <tdonohue> what are we supposed to be reviewing here, mdiggory? Just the screenshots?
[20:52] <robint> Cant see any reference to code
[20:53] <mdiggory> A diff of the sources will be attached soon, but the code is in Github and available there.
[20:53] <mdiggory> that needs to be added.
[20:54] <tdonohue> ok, so, we should just all be aware this is coming, and add in some feedback when we have time..
[20:54] <mdiggory> https://github.com/gauravkl/dspace
[20:54] <kompewter> [ gauravkl/DSpace - GitHub ] - https://github.com/gauravkl/dspace
[20:54] <mdiggory> adding it tot he task for him
[20:54] <mhwood> GSOC slot begins in 6 minutes. Other business?
[20:55] <KevinVdV> I have one small announcement I started work today on upgrading lucene/solr to the newest versions
[20:55] <KevinVdV> Just wanted to let you guys know
[20:55] <tdonohue> Last topic here was on Unit Testing Framework discussions. Whether there was anything we wanted to touch base on today, or plan for 1.8
[20:55] <tdonohue> Here's the thread from dspace-devel: http://www.mail-archive.com/dspace-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06553.html
[20:55] <kompewter> [ [Dspace-devel] Adding the testing framework to a module? ] - http://www.mail-archive.com/dspace-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06553.html
[20:56] <tdonohue> KevinVdV : sounds like a good idea. thanks!
[20:57] <robint> Oh, did anyone see the Jira from Stuart Lewis about Tomcat 7 ?
[20:57] <mhwood> The testing framework is currently trapped in dspace-api and not available in other modules.
[20:57] <mdiggory> tdonohue: per Unit testing, we need it, but I know its going to take a someone very familiar with it to fix the issues we are seeing.
[20:58] <tdonohue> As far as Unit Testing goes... I think there are two issues here: (1) we should be releasing a dspace-api Test JAR via Maven (so that other modules can use it as a dependency), and (2) we need to investigate ways to dynamically build a [dspace] directory for testing, rather than keeping a full copy around
[20:58] <mdiggory> yes, we actually need to get both solved.
[20:59] <mhwood> I've been trying to come up to speed on the Assembly plugin, thinking it could build the test environment. Comments?
[20:59] <mdiggory> especially since the dspace.cfg is being fragmented into modules
[21:00] <tdonohue> mhwood -- seems reasonable to lean on assembly plugin, and use it to dynamically build the test environment when you run Unit Tests. I've never done that before though :)
[21:00] <tdonohue> I think the releasing of the dspace-api Test JAR should be rather easy (as we already do that for dspace-services-impl module)...so, that should be something we can do rather quickly
[21:00] <mdiggory> its really a cart before the horse issue... assembling the test environment before running compile.
[21:01] <mdiggory> assembly is generally run after compile
[21:01] <mdiggory> compile = test
[21:01] <mhwood> I'm looking at binding it to generate-test-sources
[21:01] <mdiggory> that sounds reasonable
[21:02] <tdonohue> I would be interested to hear whatever you end up figuring out, mhwood
[21:02] <mhwood> Not much progress yet, but still studying.
[21:02] <robint> I've got to go and am on holiday for the next 10 days so apologies for disappearing. Cheers all.
[21:02] <mhwood> If nobody thinks that's a poor approach, I'll continue in that direction.
[21:02] * robint (522921b0@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:02] <tdonohue> cheers robint --- I did see the Tomcat 7 stuff. thanks for the reminder
[21:02] * gaurav_kl (75c62109@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[21:02] <mdiggory> I think its probably all we have for an approach at the moment
[21:03] <mhwood> I will keep dev.s informed then.
[21:03] <tdonohue> mhwood -- seems like a reasonable approach. feel free to create a JIRA ticket for it, if it seems to go somewhere
[21:03] <mhwood> Will do.
[21:03] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: leaving)
[21:03] <mdiggory> and, if we publish the tests jar and the assembly can be added to any addon as well, then tests can be run within separate modules as well
[21:03] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C14B16.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[21:04] <tdonohue> exactly, mdiggory! That way each module can do it's own tests and depend back on dspace-api's tests as needed
[21:04] <mdiggory> yes, correct
[21:04] <mhwood> Um, I think we shouldn't call it "dspace-api's tests". We have a new dspace-testing or something with the common stuff in it, and each module has tests that use it.
[21:05] <tdonohue> Ok, just to touch back on what robint mentioned. stuartlewis added a Jira Issue aroudn Tomcat 7 + XMLUI Login. Sounds like there are some oddities in some browsers
[21:05] <mdiggory> for instance, I'm trying to implement the core legacy bridge to existing dspace static methods, to write tests to validate thesse calls, I need to fire up the test enviornment inside dspace-core-impl
[21:05] <tdonohue> mhwood -- I'd be fine either way, to be honest. Right now, the main tests sit in 'dspace-api', so that's why I called them that
[21:06] <mhwood> Just trying to keep straight the line between the tests and the framework.
[21:06] <mhwood> The framework is common; the tests are not.
[21:06] <mdiggory> I"m ok with them existing in dspace-api for the time being.
[21:06] <tdonohue> I'm just of the opinion that when it comes to Unit Testing, we should keep the Tests in the same module as the API they are testing.
[21:06] <tdonohue> mhwood -- agreed. the framework is common, the specific API tests are not
[21:07] <mdiggory> if we want to have the "framework" be separate, it almost sounds like ti should exist in modules.
[21:08] <tdonohue> sure, it could be moved out into modules -- assuming we can "easily extract" the framework from the actual Tests of dspace-api
[21:08] * tdonohue notes we are running into GSoC time now
[21:08] <mhwood> Yes, and I need to go. Thanks!
[21:09] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:09] <tdonohue> One last thing: I think DS-959 needs some more eyes. We have some Tomcat 7 + XMLUI Login issues...not sure what the cause may be (or if it on our side or on Tomcat's side). But, it's odd that it only affects XMLUI
[21:09] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-959 ] - [#DS-959] XMLUI login failure when using Tomcat 7.0.16 - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:10] <tdonohue> (Not suggesting we do a detailed discussion of Ds-959 right now, but just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of it...it'd be good to get resolved for 1.8.0 if possible)
[21:10] <mdiggory> any reference to IE is Microsoft's fault and should be directly taken up with their support department
[21:10] <tdonohue> Ok, shall we switch over to GSoC Topics now?
[21:11] <tdonohue> mdiggory: it's not just IE though...based on complaints on dspace-tech, it sounds like it may also affect Opera, Safari & Chrome.
[21:12] <gaurav_kl> hi.sorry. i got a bit delayed.i added JIRA task and am adding the patch file now.
[21:13] <mdiggory> tdonohue: great so now Microsoft broke the Internet [sigh]
[21:14] <mdiggory> TBH... I'd bet ten dollars its Cocoon Caching issue
[21:15] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- add your thoughts to Ds-959 please. I too wondered if this was something in Cocoon Caching
[21:15] <mdiggory> gaurav_kl: great, I did announce the JIRA ticket in the regular DSpace meeting recommending others please look at it
[21:16] <gaurav_kl> ok.thanks.
[21:16] <gaurav_kl> i was facing some problem in creating a patch in IDEA
[21:17] <gaurav_kl> shud i create patch from my Master's branch to the trunk in my repo
[21:17] <gaurav_kl> or to the trunk in main dspacde repo
[21:19] <mdiggory> I'm not sure TBH
[21:19] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@s-lewis.itss.auckland.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[21:19] <mdiggory> PeterDietz: you know more about this sort of thing
[21:19] <gaurav_kl> i mean the trunk in my repo has not been updated since i created the fork
[21:20] <PeterDietz> hi
[21:20] <mdiggory> right so your repo is pretty much old trunk from about 2011-06-15
[21:21] <mdiggory> Hello fellow "Dad"!
[21:21] <gaurav_kl> yeah.
[21:21] <PeterDietz> so, to create a diff of all your stuff between two branches. you could do git checkout master; git diff my-branch-name > patch.diff
[21:21] <gaurav_kl> hi peter
[21:22] <PeterDietz> mdiggory: Sorry for not giving you the appropriate congratulations for when you had a baby last year. It is pretty cool stuff
[21:23] <gaurav_kl> actually i forked the main dspace repo and push my code to master branch in my repo.
[21:23] <gaurav_kl> so is there a way to patch with the main dspace repo's master
[21:24] <mdiggory> PeterDietz: thanks, its Awe-encompassing, isn't it
[21:24] <mdiggory> gaurav_kl: did you fork the main git repo or our svn?
[21:25] <gaurav_kl> main git repo
[21:26] <PeterDietz> ok, pretty easy stuff, just figured it out
[21:26] <PeterDietz> git clone https://github.com/gauravkl/DSpace.git guarav
[21:26] <PeterDietz> cd guarav
[21:26] <PeterDietz> git remote add official git@github.com:DSpace/DSpace.git
[21:26] <PeterDietz> git fetch official
[21:26] <PeterDietz> git diff official/master
[21:27] <PeterDietz> so gaurav_kl you don't need to re-clone your repository
[21:27] <PeterDietz> .. you can just add the remote, fetch it, and diff it
[21:27] <PeterDietz> you could also create a pull request
[21:27] <mdiggory> will the diff contain only gauravs changes, or changes done in o
[21:27] <mdiggory> fficial?
[21:28] <PeterDietz> hmm, so your saying there's the chance that guarav's version and official are off by a few commits that are only in the official
[21:28] <gaurav_kl> yeah.
[21:28] <PeterDietz> not just chance, there are new commits in official
[21:29] <PeterDietz> for your local computer, you could pull in all the new changes if you wanted pretty easily. Should hopefully not break everything
[21:29] <mdiggory> haha
[21:29] <PeterDietz> git pull official master
[21:29] <mdiggory> you mean Git won't solve all my merge problems for me?!
[21:29] <PeterDietz> I just ran it locally, no conflicts
[21:31] <PeterDietz> it does solve lots of merge problems, it gets conflicted when you both modify something, which is typically rare
[21:31] <mdiggory> sounds good... give it a try gaurav_kl but PeterDietz shouldn't he get those changes into his fork so he is caught up
[21:31] <mdiggory> ?
[21:32] <mdiggory> " it gets conflicted when you both modify something, which is typically rare" thats pretty much where all conflict arise, in all SCM
[21:32] <PeterDietz> you'll pull the changes from official into your local copy, then push to github.. making your version up-to-date
[21:32] <mdiggory> what would that look like?
[21:32] <gaurav_kl> ok.this sounds better
[21:33] <PeterDietz> well, atleast git knows this and gives you a good chance to fix it with git mergetool. Which on my computer opens three-way diff in meld
[21:34] <mdiggory> are you using the mac client for github?
[21:34] <PeterDietz> peter = Ubunutu
[21:35] <PeterDietz> I need a new word for "mac users". Its not that I hate them, its that something is going on in that circle, and now there are about 5 GUI's for git on the mac
[21:35] <PeterDietz> oops. i don't need a new word for mac users.. i need a new word for hate..
[21:36] <PeterDietz> i can't type. I propose all future meetings are in a google+ hangout
[21:36] <gaurav_kl> hehe.
[21:37] <mdiggory> Peters new Circle : "People I don't hate, but use Macs"
[21:38] <mdiggory> better might be "People who don't carry around ten pound laptops"
[21:39] <PeterDietz> it would be better if it was instead Peters new Venn diagram. Mac User, Macs+Hate, Hate
[21:40] <mdiggory> oh, your just jealous, cause your a geek and not a cool geek
[21:41] <mdiggory> ok... were not we supposed to be doing something here?
[21:41] <PeterDietz> gaurav was making a diff
[21:41] <mdiggory> partly my fault... gaurav_kl how is it going... are there any major questions we can answer for you?
[21:42] <gaurav_kl> no thanks..i m trying it.will post here in case of problem
[21:42] <mdiggory> One I have is per the JIRA task, are there instructions for setting up a dspace instance for testing the features?
[21:42] <mdiggory> for instance are you going to cover "fesh install" vs "upgrade" approaches?
[21:42] <mdiggory> fesh = fresh
[21:43] <gaurav_kl> i m not sure..currently it will work for a fresh-install only i think..
[21:43] <gaurav_kl> shud there be any difference for "upgrade" approach
[21:44] <gaurav_kl> the db changes shud be somewhere else?
[21:44] <mdiggory> so maybe an important point will be documenting how we would upgrade an existing instance that already has a custom item-submission.xml file
[21:45] <gaurav_kl> ok.
[21:45] <mdiggory> IE how to process item-submission.xml to get it into the database properly.
[21:47] <gaurav_kl> yeah.so for the current item-submission.xml we will have to define default process,steps,action,roles
[21:47] <gaurav_kl> ok
[21:56] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-50-45.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace
[22:19] * gaurav_kl (75c62109@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[22:34] * gaurav_kl (75c62109@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[22:35] <gaurav_kl> PeterDietz: need some help..when i give the command to fetch main repo it is giving permission denied publickey
[22:36] <PeterDietz> oops, I think i shared the private code for people who are members of it. one sec
[22:36] <PeterDietz> git://github.com/DSpace/DSpace.git
[22:36] <PeterDietz> git remote rm official
[22:36] <PeterDietz> git remote add official git://github.com/DSpace/DSpace.git
[22:36] <gaurav_kl> ok
[22:36] <PeterDietz> git fetch official
[22:38] <gaurav_kl> its giving an error "could not find repo Dspace/dspace"
[22:39] <gaurav_kl> remote error..
[22:39] <PeterDietz> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace.git
[22:40] <PeterDietz> git remote add central https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace.git
[22:40] <PeterDietz> git fetch central
[22:40] <PeterDietz> maybe it got confused from something
[22:43] <gaurav_kl> srry but this is showing https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace.git/info/refs not found...did you run git update-server-info on the server?
[22:43] <gaurav_kl> oh actuaally i used GUI till now
[22:43] <gaurav_kl> i haven't signed in
[22:43] <gaurav_kl> the bash
[22:45] <PeterDietz> these are things to do from command line. I don't have gui tools
[22:45] <gaurav_kl> yeah.i m using git bash only right now..i mean before this i was using gui...
[22:49] <PeterDietz> if you wanted to start from scratch, you could do...
[22:49] <PeterDietz> git clone https://github.com/gauravkl/DSpace.git gaurav
[22:49] <PeterDietz> cd gaurav
[22:49] <PeterDietz> git checkout master
[22:49] <PeterDietz> git remote add official https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace.git
[22:49] <PeterDietz> git fetch official
[22:49] <PeterDietz> git pull official master
[22:49] <PeterDietz> git push origin master
[22:49] <PeterDietz> ...then return to where ever you were before.. and just pull the latest changes from your gaurav location.. through whichever tool you would do that from
[22:51] <gaurav_kl> ok.
[22:52] <gaurav_kl> so git clone will create another copy of my repo in my local machine?
[22:52] <gaurav_kl> or may be i can use the same copy which is present now in my local machine
[22:53] <PeterDietz> it will create another copy, from data on internet/github
[22:53] <PeterDietz> i don't know what problem you where having before
[22:54] <PeterDietz> did you get the same error from the command line? update-server-info
[22:54] <gaurav_kl> yeah..
[22:54] <gaurav_kl> that was from cmd-line only
[22:55] <gaurav_kl> ok.i will clone from scratch and see if it works
[22:59] <PeterDietz> for the one that wasn't working. can you paste what the contents of .git/config is
[22:59] <gaurav_kl> ok
[23:01] <gaurav_kl> http://www.heypasteit.com/clip/0000
[23:01] <kompewter> [ Clip #0000 ] - http://www.heypasteit.com/clip/0000
[23:01] <gaurav_kl> srry
[23:01] <gaurav_kl> just 1 min
[23:03] <gaurav_kl> http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/648626/
[23:03] <kompewter> [ Ubuntu Pastebin ] - http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/648626/
[23:05] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[23:07] <PeterDietz> when you entered the commands, did you copy/paste from here, or type it in?
[23:07] <gaurav_kl> i have typed it
[23:07] <PeterDietz> because you've got capitalization messed up, and thats why some where unhappy
[23:08] <gaurav_kl> ohh
[23:08] <PeterDietz> Dspace/Dspace.git is bad
[23:08] <PeterDietz> DSpace/DSpace.git is good
[23:15] <gaurav_kl> actually when i am trying to clone my repo to local it is showing the same error of "update-server-info"..
[23:17] <PeterDietz> how did the fresh downloaded copy go?
[23:20] <gaurav_kl> it is unable to clone through bash showing fatal:https://github.com/gauravkl/DSpace.git/info/refs not found...did you run git update-server-info on the server?
[23:20] <PeterDietz> i have to head out. Good luck. You have to use whatever it shows you on the website: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace in the box at the top
[23:20] <kompewter> [ DSpace/DSpace - GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace
[23:21] <PeterDietz> what version of Git are you using?
[23:21] <gaurav_kl> ok.thanks...m using 1.7.4
[23:22] <gaurav_kl> .msysgit.0
[23:22] * PeterDietz is not jealous of using Git on Windows
[23:23] <PeterDietz> so create a clone of https://github.com/gauravkl/DSpace
[23:23] <kompewter> [ gauravkl/DSpace - GitHub ] - https://github.com/gauravkl/DSpace
[23:23] <PeterDietz> add a remote to https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace and call that official or something
[23:23] <kompewter> [ DSpace/DSpace - GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace
[23:24] <PeterDietz> the fetch the remote official
[23:24] <PeterDietz> then pull the official into your master
[23:24] <PeterDietz> ...when its all said and done, you can push that back to your gauravkl/DSpace github
[23:24] <gaurav_kl> ok
[23:25] <gaurav_kl> thanks :)
[23:43] * gaurav_kl (75c62109@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.