#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2011-10-05

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[3:37] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@gendiglt02.lbr.auckland.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: stuartlewis)
[4:37] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-67-186-181-238.hsd1.nh.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[6:38] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:38] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:38] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:38] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:38] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:38] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:38] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[9:53] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has joined #duraspace
[11:44] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-67-186-181-238.hsd1.nh.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[12:13] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-67-186-181-238.hsd1.nh.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[12:13] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:23] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-67-186-181-238.hsd1.nh.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:54] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-67-186-181-238.hsd1.nh.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[17:03] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has left #duraspace
[19:50] * robint (5229fe9f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:51] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:54] * JRhoads (~jrhoads@ has joined #duraspace
[19:54] <robint> Hi all, Tim isn't here this week so I'm standing in. Developers meeting kicks off in 5 mins.
[19:58] * hpottinger (80ce6c12@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:59] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C156FD.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[20:00] <robint> Ok, time for the meeting. Apologies for not posting an agenda, I only have one item and thats 1.8 progress.
[20:00] <robint> Great progress this week, thanks to all.
[20:01] <robint> Here is a list of outstanding items...https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.8.0%22+ORDER+BY+key+DESC&mode=hide
[20:01] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.8.0%22+ORDER+BY+key+DESC&mode=hide
[20:02] <robint> Actually most of these are now complete but just need a little documentation so we should be able to whiz through the remainder
[20:02] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:02] <robint> Looking at who is here...
[20:03] <robint> KevinVdV: do you have anything you want to say about DS-599 ?
[20:03] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-599 ] - [#DS-599] SOLR statistics file download displays all files and not only those in the Bundle Original - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:03] <KevinVdV> Yes indeed I do, I was awaiting my time :)
[20:03] <robint> Go for it!
[20:04] <KevinVdV> I finished coding on DS 599 & would like some people to test my code. I was only able to test on my local PC & with one solr stats database (a large one at that but still)
[20:04] <KevinVdV> So I would like to ask that if anybody has the time they quickly apply the patch & test it
[20:05] <KevinVdV> Really don't wanna any small bugs in this one breaking indexes
[20:05] <robint> Does anyone out there have a decent Solr database that they could test against ?
[20:05] <aschweer> I've already kicked all non-Original bundle files out of my solr stats -- I'll check if I still have old copies with the data
[20:06] <robint> Thanks aschweer
[20:06] <KevinVdV> I tested the code myself with a db that has 200 000 bitstream hits
[20:06] <KevinVdV> & updated all those records in about 5 minutes
[20:07] <robint> kevinVdV: I would vote for you commiting it to make testing easier
[20:07] <robint> We could even run the update script on the demo server
[20:07] <hpottinger> KevinVdV: I'm willing to give it a whirl with the solr stats on my testathon site, and I agree with robint, testing would be easier after a commit
[20:08] <KevinVdV> Then I will commit somewhere after this meeting
[20:08] <KevinVdV> If that is ok for everybody ?
[20:08] <KevinVdV> I will leave the task open should any issues arise
[20:08] <robint> Good plan. Leave it open to remind the rest of us to test.
[20:09] <robint> Ok, moving on
[20:09] <KevinVdV> But t.b.h. I probably won't have to update the documentation before the weekend (I will try but cannot promise anything)
[20:09] <robint> Don't worry. We have plenty time to catch up on documentation.
[20:10] <hpottinger> KevinVdV do you have draft documentation on this?
[20:10] <robint> Is kshepherd lurking ?
[20:10] <aschweer> he may not be at work yet, it's only 9am here
[20:10] <KevinVdV> Well at the moment I don't the only documentation I have is in my last post (the class already existed I just added 1 extra option)
[20:11] <robint> ok thanks aschweer
[20:11] <robint> I was testing DS-768 today
[20:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-768 ] - [#DS-768] All XMLUI Error Pages respond with 200 OK, instead of 404 Not Found - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:12] <robint> Kim has commited his code so I updated the dependency to pick up the newly released cocoon substitute jar, but I still see status codes of 200
[20:13] <robint> I'll pester Kim and Mark D offline
[20:14] <robint> The only other issue that is not just documentation is DS-135
[20:14] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-135 ] - [#DS-135] Withdrawn items displayed as &quot;restricted&quot; rather than withdrawn - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:14] <hpottinger> robint: I've a keen interest that 768 makes it in for 1.8, so am happy to keep testing, as well
[20:15] <robint> Ok thanks hpottinger. I'm sure the work has been done but maybe something has got lost during commiting
[20:15] <robint> hpottinger: I'll copy you in on any emails
[20:16] <robint> I think Mark D was hoping to provide a patch for DS-135 so I'll follow up with him
[20:16] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-135 ] - [#DS-135] Withdrawn items displayed as &quot;restricted&quot; rather than withdrawn - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:17] <robint> Oh, there is actually one other untouched issue, DS-612
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-612 ] - [#DS-612] Unfinished submissions see cc-rdf file instead of their uploaded PDF in the uploads step. - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:18] <robint> This was kind of ignored until all the CC rewrite work was done, which I think is now the case
[20:18] <robint> So I'll pick up Ds-612
[20:18] <kshepherd> hi all
[20:18] <kshepherd> i'm lurking now ;)
[20:18] <robint> Ah! Hi kshepherd :)
[20:19] <kshepherd> trying to finish some stuff and get ready for a lecture ;)
[20:19] <kshepherd> i'll be chasing up your failed testing on 768 after that
[20:19] <robint> Great stuff. I'm probably doing something daft. Cheers
[20:19] <kshepherd> can't see why/what's going wrong, but i'll try with the old and the new cocoon servlet service impl
[20:20] <kshepherd> robint: i think we can safely blame Cocoon ;)
[20:20] <robint> kshepherd: Always !
[20:21] <robint> So, all the other issues are effectively complete minus documentation. Big pat on the back for all!
[20:22] <robint> I'll delay doing the RC2 release until we have tidied up these last few minor issues
[20:22] <kshepherd> big kudos to robint for his hard work as release coordinator!
[20:22] * hpottinger agrees
[20:22] <robint> Coordinating beats actually doing work :)
[20:22] <hpottinger> robint: I'm working on testing your patches for ds-1025 (thanks for that, btw), hope to be able to post results/confirmation that the COinS still work with citation managers, hopefully by this afternoon/evening
[20:22] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/ds-1025 ] - [#DS-1025] Mouseover any title in XMLUI displays COINS info (see Advanced Search or Browse by Title - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:23] <robint> Thanks hpottinger
[20:23] <robint> I installed the OCLC Firefox addon but nothing displayed when I looked at any pages
[20:24] <robint> Don't know if I am doing something wrong
[20:24] <kshepherd> i usually use Zotero, i'll test that later
[20:24] <robint> hpottinger: I think I my have moven the COINS span elements to '
[20:24] <robint> sorry, typo
[20:25] <robint> ... the wrong places on some pages
[20:25] <hpottinger> I've got Zotero installed, will try as soon as I get trunk working on this crazy notebok
[20:25] <robint> So it should work, but may need tidied up
[20:26] <kshepherd> hpottinger: if you can double-check the 200/404 responses in your trunk build that'd be a big help, too
[20:26] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:26] <mdiggory> Hello everyone.
[20:26] <robint> Hi mdiggory
[20:26] <hpottinger> kshepherd, happy to, and it's on the list
[20:26] <kshepherd> hi mdiggory
[20:27] <robint> hpottinger: Note that you just need to change the dependency for the jar to be 1.0.2
[20:28] <kshepherd> yeah, and if testing the new jar, i'd recommend clean then package, maybe clear tomcat cache.. .all that good stuff
[20:28] <kshepherd> i found a neat trick yesterday
[20:28] <robint> kshepherd: That could be where I have gone rong
[20:28] <robint> wrong
[20:28] <kshepherd> built dspace, fired it up, logged in to XMLUI, then trashed dspace, rebuilt, did a *fresh install* from ant, started tomcat back up
[20:29] <kshepherd> (this is with a new db too btw, so no administrator account)
[20:29] <kshepherd> i was still logged in as admin!
[20:29] <kshepherd> now *that's* session persistence :P
[20:29] <robint> Superb !
[20:29] <hpottinger> so, kshephered and robint, I thought the dependency on the new jar was already commited to trunk?
[20:30] <kshepherd> no, my patch was committed to trunk, and the new jar was released
[20:30] <robint> hpottinger: Not yet. Its released to Maven Central
[20:30] <kshepherd> but the pom which handles dependency to cocoon-servlet-service-impl isn't updated yet
[20:30] <robint> You can pick it up just by updating the version number in the pom
[20:31] <kshepherd> mdiggory: i changed the new transformer exceptions to ProcessingExceptions as you recommended (but page not found still throws ResourceNotFoundException explicitly)
[20:32] <mdiggory> It should, shouldn't it?
[20:33] <kshepherd> yep
[20:33] <kshepherd> it's all good, i was just giving you an update ;)
[20:33] <robint> mdiggory: Could I pester you about the Tombstone stuff ?
[20:33] <mdiggory> http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Corg.dspace.dependencies.cocoon%7Cdspace-cocoon-servlet-service-impl%7C1.0.2%7Cjar
[20:33] <kompewter> [ Maven Central Search Engine ] - http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Corg.dspace.dependencies.cocoon%7Cdspace-cocoon-servlet-service-impl%7C1.0.2%7Cjar
[20:34] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-67-186-181-238.hsd1.nh.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[20:34] <mdiggory> robint: is that some sort of threat involving grave yards?
[20:35] <robint> :)
[20:36] <robint> Or a reference to some dodgy western
[20:36] <mhwood> Not pizza?
[20:36] <mdiggory> Yes, I know I know... Life is very busy of late. Seems my kids keep getting sent home sick from school every other day this last week
[20:36] <robint> Kids germs, there is no defence
[20:36] <kshepherd> mm, flickr has now hit 200 million CC-licensed photos
[20:37] <mhwood> 's part of being that age, it seems.
[20:37] <mdiggory> mhwood: that association may not transmit across the pond.
[20:37] <mhwood> Possibly not.
[20:37] <robint> I suspect I'm missing something
[20:37] <mdiggory> Tombstone Pizza
[20:38] <robint> Ah!
[20:38] * kshepherd makes a note to avoid pizza in Indiana
[20:38] <mdiggory> whata you want on your tombstone
[20:39] <mdiggory> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj5AyxMaqvo
[20:39] <kompewter> [ Tombstone Pizza - YouTube ] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj5AyxMaqvo
[20:39] <robint> Anyway, mdiggory: I could pick up the tombstone stuff if you have your hands full at the moment ?
[20:39] <kshepherd> i know what i want on my tombstone: "301 Moved Permanently"
[20:40] <mdiggory> hmm, thats intersting...
[20:40] <mdiggory> so if deleted 404 but if withdrawn 301?
[20:41] <kshepherd> err, i was mostly making a joke. on serious matters, i have gone back and forth thinking about withdrawn response codes
[20:41] <kshepherd> it should be something that causes google decache, at least
[20:42] <mdiggory> Thinking that we need to get Ds 768 fixed first so we can actually send error codes...
[20:42] <kshepherd> i've used 301s to fix up broken URL paths though
[20:42] <mdiggory> whats in the JSPUI for this?
[20:42] <kshepherd> yeah, indeed... and it seems that 768 needs more testing today so i'll get onto it
[20:43] <robint> mdiggory; fot the tombstone pages ?
[20:43] <robint> fot/for
[20:43] <mdiggory> yes
[20:44] <robint> I don't know what status code it returns
[20:44] <robint> Can't check on this crappy laptop
[20:45] <kshepherd> i can check on a 1.7.x instance
[20:45] <robint> My money says its 200 OK
[20:46] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-67-186-181-238.hsd1.nh.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[20:46] * hpottinger thinks robint's money is safe
[20:46] <mdiggory> I see nothing in the code to suggest it would return anything other than 200
[20:46] <kshepherd> it seems oworse than that
[20:47] <kshepherd> but i'm not sure if i'm doing something silly
[20:47] * kshepherd starts to sweat
[20:48] <robint> I think it just directs to tombstone.jsp which pops up the 'This item is withdrawn' message
[20:48] <kshepherd> ok all good
[20:48] <mdiggory> is there still an ETA of friday for release?
[20:48] <kshepherd> for me, withdrawn item handles redirect to login page
[20:48] <kshepherd> (xmlui)
[20:48] <mdiggory> kshepherd: yes XMLUI does that
[20:49] <mdiggory> does that return a 403 when it does that?
[20:49] <mdiggory> (it should)
[20:49] <kshepherd> jspui JSPIU is 403 Forbidden
[20:49] <robint> Doh! I've lost my money.
[20:49] <kshepherd> XMLUI is 302 moved temporarily
[20:49] <mdiggory> and login page as well?
[20:49] <kshepherd> please don't take this as gospel
[20:49] <mdiggory> robint: you can payup at OR12
[20:50] <kshepherd> we have weird loadbalancing / central signon / firewall rules that might be impacting my quick testing :P
[20:50] <robint> In beer !
[20:50] <robint> mdiggory: Officially I was still thinking about RC2 this Friday, but...
[20:51] <kshepherd> have to run off to a lecture now
[20:51] <kshepherd> i'd rather be testing http response codes than implementing java quicksort algorithms in 4 different ways, but such is life
[20:51] <kshepherd> cheers all
[20:51] <robint> I think it might be sensible to delay a few days to allow us to tidy up these last issues, particularly the tombstone one if possible
[20:52] <robint> Cheers kshepherd
[20:52] <mdiggory> I will work to get it resolved by friday...
[20:52] <robint> Thanks mdiggory
[20:53] <kshepherd> mdiggory: just one last comment about xmlui response codes
[20:53] <kshepherd> 404s were the only thing that was busted (and which we've hopefully fixed)
[20:53] <kshepherd> so even ignoring my patch, stuff like 302 Moved Temporarily should be good to go right now
[20:54] * kshepherd runs
[20:54] <robint> TBH I think we can be really confident that we will make our original deadline of an October release
[20:55] <robint> Which is a notable achievement by all. So a few days delay for the RC2 release is not a big issue.
[20:56] <mdiggory> kshepherd: thanks
[20:56] <robint> We are nearing the end of our time. Anyone got anything else they want to bring up ?
[20:57] <KevinVdV> I just committed DS-599 so feel free to test
[20:57] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-599 ] - [#DS-599] SOLR statistics file download displays all files and not only those in the Bundle Original - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:57] <robint> Thanks KevinVdV. Might be worth emailing the devel and commit lists to try and find volunteers.
[20:58] <PeterDietz> KevinVdV: Thanks for building optimizations for it
[20:58] <KevinVdV> OK I will do that after I found the time to write the documentation
[20:58] <KevinVdV> Thank you for suggesting a better fix then the one I had in store Peter Dietz ;-)
[20:59] * JRhoads (~jrhoads@ has left #duraspace
[21:00] <robint> Ok, I think our meeting is officially over, but in Tim type fashion I'll hang around for a while in case anyone wants to chat. Thanks all.
[21:01] <mhwood> Must go. 'bye all.
[21:01] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:02] <KevinVdV> Need to get some sleep bye all
[21:03] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C156FD.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[21:03] <mdiggory> bye
[21:03] <kompewter> bye
[21:03] * PeterDietz (~PeterDiet@peterdietz.lib.ohio-state.edu) Quit (Quit: shutdown)
[21:07] * robint (5229fe9f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:14] * hpottinger (80ce6c12@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:30] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.