#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2011-11-02

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:37] -sendak.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:37] -sendak.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:37] -sendak.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:37] -sendak.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:37] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:37] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:37] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[8:46] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has joined #duraspace
[10:28] * GargantuaSauce (~Gargantua@ Quit (*.net *.split)
[10:28] * ablemann (~alexleman@ Quit (*.net *.split)
[10:28] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) Quit (*.net *.split)
[10:33] * GargantuaSauce (~Gargantua@ has joined #duraspace
[10:34] * ablemann (~alexleman@ has joined #duraspace
[10:42] -christel- [Global Notice] Hi all, one of our sponsors are experiencing some routing issues -- as a result we are missing a few servers, have a messed up rotation, no services and no web presence. Hopefully we'll return to some normality soon. Thank you for your patience and have a good day (or night, if you're Australian!)
[10:51] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) has joined #duraspace
[12:08] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:7a2b:cbff:feb4:89a9) has joined #duraspace
[12:45] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-58-145.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:17] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:7a2b:cbff:feb4:89a9) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[13:32] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:7a2b:cbff:feb4:89a9) has joined #duraspace
[13:48] * cwilper (ad579fce@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[14:09] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-58-145.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[14:39] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-58-145.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:39] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[14:41] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[14:57] * cwilper (ad579fce@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[16:26] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:7a2b:cbff:feb4:89a9) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[16:37] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:7a2b:cbff:feb4:89a9) has joined #duraspace
[17:01] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:7a2b:cbff:feb4:89a9) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[17:14] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:7a2b:cbff:feb4:89a9) has joined #duraspace
[17:43] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has left #duraspace
[17:57] * nyfedorauser (415858ee@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[17:58] * nyfedorauser (415858ee@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Client Quit)
[17:59] * nyfedorauser (415858ee@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[17:59] * nyfedorauser (415858ee@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[19:45] * hpottinger (80cea2c6@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:47] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C14B50.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:47] <KevinVdV> Hi all
[19:50] * hpottinger waves
[19:51] * robint (522925f2@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:54] <robint> Hi all, just a reminder that our weekly developers meeting will start here in 5-10 mins.
[20:00] <robint> So Tim has a prior commitment so I'm being 'Tim for a day'
[20:01] <robint> I think this could be a real quick meeting
[20:01] <mhwood> No such thing; there's always something we ran out of time to talk about.
[20:01] <robint> I believe that all that is outstanding is https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1060 and documentation
[20:02] <robint> A good point mhwood :)
[20:02] <robint> I don't know too much about DS-1060, I notice others have been commenting
[20:03] <robint> Sorry, I'll backtrack for a moment...
[20:03] <robint> The current plan is to do the release on Friday
[20:04] <robint> So if anyone has any further comment on DS-1060 please add to the Jira issue
[20:04] <robint> I suspect Tim will want to commit any changes tomorrow
[20:05] <hpottinger> I've been testing the patches Tim has submitted for 1060, I think all of them mark a change from the current behavior of the -Dconfig= param
[20:05] <robint> Just saw your latest comment
[20:07] <hpottinger> the simple patch will likely be the least controversial, as Tim says
[20:07] <robint> I can't even make up my mind what the optimum behaviour should be
[20:08] <robint> Without Tim I'm not sure how much we can do here so possibly best just to keep adding commentss to the issue.
[20:09] <hpottinger> I believe certain development workflows count on being able to pass in a custom-tweaked dspace.cfg
[20:09] <robint> Ok, should we move on to documentation ?
[20:09] <robint> Sorry hpottinger, I'll slow down :)
[20:09] <mhwood> I rather don't like the idea of hunting for settings that didn't get copied. Especially since what sites *should* do is to customize a copy of the new stock config from their old settings *before* running 'ant -Dconfig=newone update'.
[20:10] <robint> mhwood: thats my preference too
[20:11] <mhwood> Maybe copy-as-many-settings-as-we-can should be a separate target.
[20:12] <hpottinger> I like that
[20:13] <robint> Yes I worry its becoming too messy by trying to be too intelligent
[20:13] <mhwood> Anyway, whether the source of the configuration is specified explicitly or defaults to the source kit, IMHO update should do the same thing. My preference would be "just move the old one aside and copy it".
[20:14] <robint> +1
[20:14] <mhwood> ("It" is the source of the config. file, not the old config.)
[20:15] <hpottinger> +1
[20:15] <robint> Ok, I think we are a small gang tonight, so I'll cut and paste this discussion into the Jira issue
[20:17] <robint> A quick chat about documentation ?
[20:17] <mhwood> Sure
[20:17] <robint> mhwood: I notice you have been tidying up stray 'DSDOCDEV' references
[20:17] <robint> Did they appear after migration ?
[20:18] <mhwood> I think they did.
[20:18] <robint> So I should be removing any I see I guess ?
[20:20] <robint> I have added a section called 'Advanced Customisation' as a home for some docs on Overlays and the differences with the dspace-src-release
[20:21] <mhwood> Something didn't realize that "\[blah\]" is not a link, I suppose, and tried to be helpful.
[20:21] <robint> I am hopeless at writing good docs so please feel free to hack this section in any way you see fit
[20:22] <robint> mhwood: Ah yes, maybe it didn't catch the escape slash
[20:22] <mhwood> Well, if there is a space qualifier in a genuine link then it may belong there.
[20:22] <robint> Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind
[20:23] <kshepherd> sorry, late again
[20:23] <hpottinger> just looks like 3 pages with that text
[20:23] <mhwood> I saw "Advanced Customisation" when it looked like you were just starting on it, so I thought I'd better stay out for a while. There were a couple of bracketed things that needed quoting but maybe you've fixed them by now.
[20:23] <robint> Hi kshepherd
[20:23] <kshepherd> mornin!
[20:23] <robint> mhwood: I have tidied it a little, but there is not much there yet
[20:24] <robint> kshepherd, is this later or earlier for you now ?
[20:24] <kshepherd> this time of year is good for me, daylight savings in NZ so they start at 9am
[20:24] <robint> More civilised :)
[20:25] <kshepherd> i just got sidetracked finishing a powerpoint presentation...
[20:26] <robint> Does anyone else have anything specific they want to bring up ?
[20:26] <KevinVdV> I recently found DS-1064 which is an anoying bug (although the prob won't make it in DSpace 1.8.0)
[20:27] <robint> Hi kevinVdV, yeah sorry I meant to reply to you
[20:27] <KevinVdV> You may do so now ;-)
[20:28] <robint> If you don't mind I would prefer if it waited for 1.8.1, which will undoubtedly happen
[20:28] <KevinVdV> Of course
[20:28] <KevinVdV> Nobody else has reported this as an issue
[20:28] <robint> Is that ok with you ?
[20:28] <KevinVdV> So probably isn't that urgent
[20:28] <KevinVdV> Was just in doubt (since I am a nooby)
[20:28] <robint> Good stuff. Thanks for the patch though !
[20:28] <mhwood> I see Kompewter isn't running.
[20:29] <robint> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1064
[20:30] <KevinVdV> Not sure if my patch really is the best way to fix it so I do request some more eyes on it
[20:31] <robint> Certainly looks like bug
[20:32] <mhwood> At first glance the patch looks sensible, but I haven't looked at JSPUI for some time.
[20:33] <mhwood> I agree that the reported behavior is not what I would expect.
[20:33] <KevinVdV> I'm a little rusty on JSPUI myself hence the second look .....
[20:35] <robint> KevinVdV: It might not get the proper attention it should at the moment so ask for it to be looked at in a meeting shortly after 1.8
[20:35] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[20:35] <KevinVdV> Ok will do
[20:35] <KevinVdV> Thx for the primary feedback though
[20:35] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:36] <robint> Anything else got anything on their mind at the moment ?
[20:36] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-58-145.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[20:36] <robint> Anything/Anyone
[20:36] <mhwood> About an hour ago I sent out a note on -devel about splitting up the enormous "upgrading" page, but I don't know whether we want to do that *now*.
[20:37] <hpottinger> I like the idea
[20:37] <robint> I see what you mean
[20:38] <robint> He may not thank me for this but I would take Tim's advice on it
[20:39] <robint> He probably knows the docs better than anyone
[20:39] <robint> The deadline is end of day tomorrow if we plan on doing the release on Friday
[20:40] <mhwood> In any event we'll see what people have to say on -devel. I just mentioned it since you asked for issues.
[20:40] <mhwood> Obviously it's not an urgent matter.
[20:40] <robint> Actually I think its great that we are all looking at the docs :)
[20:41] <robint> We can also keep working on the online docs after release, just they won't be in the distribution
[20:42] <robint> Personally I would always go to the online version, but I don't know if that is typical
[20:43] <kshepherd> i have some minor changes to that curation doc, following wendy's suggestions
[20:43] <kshepherd> will just take me 5min this afternoon
[20:43] <robint> Sounds good kshepherd
[20:43] <mhwood> It is easier to find. I just type "wiki" into the Firefox address widget and follow the link to "documentation".
[20:44] <robint> Dare I say it, I think the end is in sight
[20:45] <mhwood> [cheers]
[20:45] * hpottinger applauds
[20:45] <KevinVdV> Joins the applause
[20:45] <robint> So in case this is our last 1.8 meeting I'll take the chance to say a big thanks to all !
[20:46] <mhwood> And thank YOU.
[20:47] <robint> I guess thats about us for this meeting. I'll send something out tomorrow to confirm plans.
[20:48] <kshepherd> thanks robint, your diligence and patience is appreciated!
[20:48] <robint> No worries kshepherd: I'll need to get some inside info from you on your current boss :)
[20:50] <robint> I'll hang around here for a while if anyone wants to chat, but thanks all for attending the meeting.
[20:52] <KevinVdV> Going offline need some rest, cya all
[20:52] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C14B50.access.telenet.be) Quit ()
[20:54] <hpottinger> Thanks, robint, everyone else has put it far mor eloquently than I, so, just, thanks.
[21:05] * robint (522925f2@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:05] * hpottinger (80cea2c6@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:07] * mhwood (~mhwood@2001:18e8:3:10ab:7a2b:cbff:feb4:89a9) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:44] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-58-145.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[22:07] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-58-145.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.