#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2011-11-30

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:39] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:39] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:39] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:39] -asimov.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:39] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:39] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:39] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[13:05] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:09] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-58-145.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:06] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-58-145.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
[19:17] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[19:17] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:21] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[19:22] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:37] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@cpc2-stev6-2-0-cust333.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:52] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C14B50.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:52] <KevinVdV> Hi all
[20:00] * richardrodgers (~richardro@ has joined #duraspace
[20:05] * tdonohue (~Adium@ has joined #duraspace
[20:06] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:06] <tdonohue> Hi all.. as noted to the committers list, running a bit late today. Technology is working against me today, so I'm sitting in the local public library now
[20:07] <tdonohue> I'm attempting to determine where we left off at in JIRA last week — as we may as well do a short JIRA review to kick things off
[20:08] <richardrodgers> webinar go ok tdonohue ?
[20:08] <tdonohue> richardrodgers — ok enough for the fact that I suddenly had to do it on a different computer (laptop) from a different location (public library) than initially planned. I'm told it still went well, but I was unable to do the live demo I wanted to do
[20:09] <hpottinger> tdonohue: everyone in the room I was sitting in agreed that you handled the webinar quite well, demo or no demo
[20:09] <richardrodgers> Well, glad at least you could get connected to present!
[20:09] <tdonohue> thanks ;) I tried. it's been an interesting morning for me.
[20:10] <hpottinger> they appreciated that you made replication suite understandable to them (an audience of repository managers)
[20:11] <tdonohue> Ok, as for JIRA review, it looks like we left off at Ds-894. So, today we start at DS-895
[20:11] <tdonohue> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-895
[20:12] <tdonohue> oh, this looks to be a placeholder for brainstorms. Anyone want to add any immediate feedback to this idea?
[20:12] <richardrodgers> looks like future work placeholder
[20:12] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:13] * kompewter (~kompewter@peterdietz.lib.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:13] <tdonohue> ok, we'll just move along — this is a big topic on second glance. feel free to add thoughts on this work to Ds-895 directly
[20:13] * PeterDietz (~PeterDiet@peterdietz.lib.ohio-state.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:13] <tdonohue> next open issue up for review, DS-899
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-899 ] - [#DS-899] Last modified timestamp doesn&#39;t trigger on bitstream delete - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <tdonohue> (yea, kompewter is back! thanks PeterDietz)
[20:15] <tdonohue> thoughts on Ds-899? It sounds like a bug to me — it'd be nice to make sure the last modified date is actually accurate.
[20:15] <richardrodgers> Agree it should update last modified - someone put up a patch?
[20:16] <tdonohue> anyone want to volunteer to investigate this and perhaps even do a patch?
[20:16] <KevinVdV> I am willing to take a peek
[20:16] <KevinVdV> If nobody else is volenteering
[20:17] <tdonohue> thanks KevinVdV. Feel free to claim it and assign to yourself
[20:17] <KevinVdV> Will do !
[20:18] <tdonohue> We'll do one last one for today. This one is really just looking for a volunteer to enhance our documentation: DS-900
[20:18] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-900 ] - [#DS-900] Create documentation for Updating a DSpace installation from source - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:18] <tdonohue> Anyone excited to take this on and start pulling together some docs?
[20:20] <tdonohue> I'll note we have a "shell" started at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC18/Advanced+Customisation We'd just need to try and document some better examples of how you can use 'ant update', etc.
[20:20] <kompewter> [ Advanced Customisation - DSpace 1.8 Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC18/Advanced+Customisation
[20:21] <tdonohue> ok. hearing no volunteers. We'll just leave this one be for now. If anyone in coming months wants to help in areas of documentation, there are a few such documentation enhancement requests in JIRA
[20:22] <tdonohue> we'll stop the JIRA review there for today.
[20:22] <hpottinger> would it be a good idea to link to the "shell" docs in a comment on Ds-900?
[20:23] <tdonohue> hpottinger : definitely. feel free, otherwise I'll try and get back to this after the meeting
[20:23] <hpottinger> will do
[20:23] <tdonohue> only other topic I was thinking about today was discussion/updates on 1.8.1
[20:24] <tdonohue> I'm noticing robintaylor isn't here though, but we still can do our own updates on 1.8.1, etc
[20:24] <mhwood> Linking shell doc: already done.
[20:24] <tdonohue> anyone have anything else they want scheduled for 1.8.1? Here's what we have so far: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/10787
[20:24] <kompewter> [ DSpace: 1.8.1 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/10787
[20:24] <richardrodgers> I guess the first (but hard to answer) question is: do we have enough uptake on 1.8 to know if we found all the nasty bugs?
[20:25] <tdonohue> richardrodgers — probably not. But, I still suspect 1.8.1 is better to happen sooner rather than later (cause there are several extremely annoying bugs that need an immediate fix)
[20:25] <tdonohue> we can always do a 1.8.2 if there's something else we still miss
[20:25] <richardrodgers> true
[20:26] <tdonohue> It looks like we still have 2 unassigned issues for 1.8.1 Anyone interested in either? https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.8.1%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
[20:26] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.8.1%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC&mode=hide
[20:26] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@dhcp-18-111-27-15.dyn.mit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:27] <KevinVdV> Well I do plan to start testing for java 7 but need to find the time
[20:27] <richardrodgers> Guess I'm not sure about the java 7 one - isn't this a test/doc issue?
[20:28] <KevinVdV> Mostly running some quick tests
[20:28] <richardrodgers> Ah ok
[20:28] <tdonohue> yea, DS-1081 is likely more of a test/docs issue (i.e. it may even be able to be completed after 1.8.1 if no one gets to it)
[20:28] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1081 ] - [#DS-1081] Ensure that DSpace 1.8.1 can run on java 7 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:29] <tdonohue> it looks like DS-1076 is an actual bug though that needs a volunteer / patch. any takers?
[20:29] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1076 ] - [#DS-1076] Visualisation of static pages is broken in 1.8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:30] <mhwood> Comment on 1076 notes that code exists but hasn't been contributed.
[20:31] <tdonohue> yea, mdiggory is there a known fix for DS-1076 that @mire has? Or is what you mentioned in the comments a different feature/enhancement to this idea?
[20:31] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1076 ] - [#DS-1076] Visualisation of static pages is broken in 1.8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:31] <mdiggory> ?
[20:31] <hpottinger> 1076 non-contributed code sounds pretty cool, though
[20:31] <tdonohue> mdiggory — look at your comment attached to DS-1076
[20:31] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1076 ] - [#DS-1076] Visualisation of static pages is broken in 1.8 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:31] <PeterDietz> I think I was involved in helping to create static pages
[20:32] <mdiggory> yes PeterDietz you did some help, Kevin Clark was also involved when he was at NESCent
[20:32] <PeterDietz> My recommendation was to add a controller (AboutPage.java) to your xmlui artifact browser. I don't recommend the PageNotFound override hacks
[20:33] <mdiggory> Ok, well, I'll just say, what we have done is a bit more robust and aspect driven than the previous approach
[20:33] <mdiggory> It also liberates the user to use xhtml to create static pages rather than dri
[20:34] <tdonohue> ok. so, any thoughts on how we try and fix Ds-1076 for Dspace 1.8.1? Or do we need to reschedule this for 3.0 next year (and enhance it somehow)
[20:34] <mdiggory> TBH, with tools like JTidy, I'm sure we could even get it to the point that it would be viable for htnl5 as well
[20:34] <mhwood> "About" may not be the only static we have to deal with. One of our instances has a whole list of static pages added.
[20:34] <mdiggory> correct mhwood
[20:34] <mdiggory> thus the aspect driven approach
[20:36] <mdiggory> its more like a transform that looks for the files in the directory and makes appropriate pseudo dri references to the files in dri so that theme can include them into the processing.
[20:36] <hpottinger> we have quite a few static pages, all expressed as DRI right now, but could easily (and happily) convert it all to xhtml
[20:36] <mdiggory> Yes the benefit being that you can use plain old html editors to manage your static content again
[20:36] * hpottinger swoons
[20:37] <mdiggory> chuckle
[20:37] <tdonohue> +1 to moving towards XHTML static pages in the future. (But, admittedly, I think this should be a different ticket than the Ds-1076 reported bug, which just says that 1.8 actually breaks how you could do this in 1.7)
[20:38] <tdonohue> so, I'd suggest: (1) we try to find a simple fix for Ds-1076 in 1.8.1, and then (2) we work towards XHTML static pages in next year's 3.0 release
[20:38] <kshepherd> hi all, half here (at LODLAM-NZ)
[20:38] <sandsfish> +1 to mdiggory's eye toward HTML5, if it ends up within the realm of possibility (and people's time)
[20:39] <PeterDietz> 1076 mentions that it broke one of the methods to add static pages, but it didn't specify which was was broken
[20:40] <PeterDietz> I think adding a AboutUs.java controller will definitely work, and no way that method broke. I think the XSL PageNotFound override hack broke
[20:40] <tdonohue> PeterDietz — It says that the XSL-method on this page is broken: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Manakin+theme+tutorial#Manakinthemetutorial-Addingstaticpages
[20:40] <kompewter> [ Manakin theme tutorial - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Manakin+theme+tutorial#Manakinthemetutorial-Addingstaticpages
[20:40] <PeterDietz> Since I already have my hands in this issue, I'll resolve it for 1.8.1
[20:41] <PeterDietz> mdiggory gets the fun part of DSpace+CMS
[20:41] <tdonohue> ok, thanks PeterDietz — feel free to claim it and assign to yourself
[20:42] <mdiggory> ok, it does sound like a smaller bug.... we may introduce the xhtml enhancements for next season...
[20:42] <tdonohue> +1 mdiggory. I'd wait for the larger enhancements for 2012
[20:42] <mdiggory> PeterDietz: My recommendation was to add a controller (AboutPage.java) to your xmlui artifact browser. I don't recommend the PageNotFound override hacks
[20:43] <mdiggory> exactly
[20:43] <mdiggory> but also... this can be a separate aspect added
[20:45] <tdonohue> Anyone have updates or need feedback on any open 1.8.1 issues? Or anyone find any new issues we should think about putting into 1.8.1?
[20:45] <KevinVdV> I do have something (just assigned to fix for 1.8.1 a few minutes ago)
[20:45] <mhwood> We do need a simple, supported method of adding static pages, not just a way to wedge them in. Call it StaticPage instead of AboutPage and parameterize it somehow?
[20:46] <mdiggory> PeterDietz.... why, if you know the path of the dri file to be included, do you not create a Navigation.java that adds it to the options without needing xslt?
[20:46] <mdiggory> mhwood: thats basically what we've done
[20:47] <sandsfish> mhwood: agreed to generalizing the name (if the approach is already generalized)
[20:47] <tdonohue> I think mhwood doesn't like the name "AboutPage.java" (which sounds like it's *only* for a static "About" page). Rather, it should be more generically named — as it should be for *any* static page (not just an "About" page)
[20:47] <hpottinger> mhwood and mdiggory +1 to both of ya
[20:47] <tdonohue> (mhwood should correct me if I just put words into his mouth!)
[20:47] <mhwood> Yes, otherwise we'd need to write half a dozen of these.
[20:48] <tdonohue> +1 to a generically named controller (StaticPage.java or something) that generically supports any type of static page
[20:50] <tdonohue> KevinVdV did you say you had something to schedule for 1.8.1?
[20:50] <KevinVdV> Yes indeed https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1064
[20:50] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1064 ] - [#DS-1064] Authentication error with external login in JSPUI - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:50] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1064] Authentication error with external login in JSPUI - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1064
[20:50] <mdiggory> correct. Likewise... The directory hierarchy where they are stored becomes the a sitemap displayed as an options section hierarchy. or a static dri may be used to encode the options navigation for the static pages. Allowing for some i18n
[20:50] <KevinVdV> I have a patch but I would like somebody else to take a look so I didn't miss anything
[20:52] <tdonohue> thoughts on Ds-1064? or anyone willing to help test/verify patch for KevinVdV?
[20:53] <tdonohue> KevinVdV — this sounds like a bug to me. But, it would be good to have more eyes on the code or testers
[20:53] <mhwood> Agreed, the current behavior is poor.
[20:54] <KevinVdV> Well I do believe it is a bug I'm just not 100% sure that my fix handles all posibilities
[20:54] <KevinVdV> Since my JSPUI is quite rusty
[20:55] <tdonohue> yea, I'm not sure if the fix is right either KevinVdV (I'm also rusty on JSPUI, and don't have full access to my codebase to see the context of patch)
[20:59] <KevinVdV> Well if nobody is tempted to test I am inclined to commit my patch since it will fix the issue
[20:59] <tdonohue> lots of silence. I guess others aren't sure about Ds-1064 either. If someone has a chance to test or give a closer look it'd be much appreciated
[21:00] <tdonohue> KevinVdV — if you are confident it works, that's OK by me. You could always give folks a few more days to test / look at it , and commit it early next week if you don't hear any complaints
[21:00] <KevinVdV> Will do tdonohue
[21:00] <tdonohue> thanks KevinVdV!
[21:00] <KevinVdV> I will commit sunday or monday
[21:01] <mhwood> Is there anybody here who *does* use JSPUI regularly?
[21:01] <tdonohue> not i.
[21:01] <kshepherd> sorta
[21:01] <tdonohue> what does "sorta" mean? ;)
[21:01] <sandsfish> not at all.
[21:01] <PeterDietz> not here
[21:01] <kshepherd> as an admin interface, not for end users
[21:01] <tdonohue> thanks for clarifying kshepherd
[21:02] <mhwood> KevinVdV you may need to ask -devel or -tech to find someone who can review this.
[21:02] <kshepherd> can try to find some testing time
[21:02] <tdonohue> anyone else use JSPUI? (good question, mhwood). grahamtriggs?
[21:03] <tdonohue> ok. guess he's not around then :) he's the only other one I know *used* to use JSPUI heavily (not sure if that's the case at his new job though)
[21:04] <tdonohue> dare I say it — JSPUI obviously is falling behind in terms of support (though I think we've known that informally for a while — most new features seem to be XMLUI these days)
[21:05] <hpottinger> Michigan is a JSPUI shop, still, I think
[21:05] * tdonohue notes we are over time. I really don't have any other topics, but will hang around if anyone wants to chat. Otherwise feel free to head out as you need to
[21:06] <tdonohue> hpottinger — yea, they are. but, Jose Blanco has been learning XMLUI recently, so I'm guessing Michigan has been thinking of switching
[21:06] * hpottinger nods
[21:07] <tdonohue> One last thing. From what robintaylor sent to dspace-commit list, it sounds like he'd prefer to release 1.8.1 before mid-December. Just wanted to make sure you all caught that general timeline
[21:09] <sandsfish> thanks tdonohue
[21:09] <sandsfish> bye all
[21:09] * sandsfish (~sandsfish@dhcp-18-111-27-15.dyn.mit.edu) Quit (Quit: sandsfish)
[21:13] * tdonohue is heading offline for a bit — going to go see if my internet is finally back on at home. bye all!
[21:13] * tdonohue (~Adium@ Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[21:14] <KevinVdV> Need to run cya all
[21:14] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C14B50.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: KevinVdV)
[21:19] * richardrodgers (~richardro@ Quit (Quit: richardrodgers)
[21:33] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-58-145.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[21:34] * hpottinger cheers for tdonohue's internet at home
[21:34] <tdonohue> yes! it is back ;)
[21:44] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:05] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:13] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has left #duraspace
[22:56] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-98-228-58-145.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.