#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2012-02-29

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[1:56] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[2:51] * snail (~yeatesst@ has joined #duraspace
[2:51] <snail> is there a collection of screenshots of the default templates for the XMLUI?
[4:12] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace
[4:37] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[6:43] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:43] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:43] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:44] -asimov.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:44] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:44] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:44] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[13:14] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:05] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:26] * PeterDietz (~peterdiet@ has joined #duraspace
[17:20] * snail (~yeatesst@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[17:36] * snail (~yeatesst@ has joined #duraspace
[18:15] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[19:33] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:34] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[19:41] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:50] <tdonohue> Hi all, reminder that Day #3 of DSpace Developers Virtual Summit starts up again at the top of the hour via Skype (with #duraspace IRC backchannel): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-02-27+-+Virtual+Summit
[19:51] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2012-02-27 - Virtual Summit - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-02-27+-+Virtual+Summit
[19:59] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[19:59] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:03] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@cpc18-stev6-2-0-cust239.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:05] <grahamtriggs> Rather than mapping DSpace objects to Fedora 'directly', I would be more interested in seeing a 'better' model on Fedora, which has a nod to how we might migrate DSpace repositories to it
[20:09] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:13] <tdonohue> Discussion began today around DuraCloud integration with DSpace (via Replication Task Suite): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/ReplicationTaskSuite
[20:13] <kompewter> [ ReplicationTaskSuite - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/ReplicationTaskSuite
[20:13] <tdonohue> Questions around initial use cases of DuraCloud -- backup & restore of your repository.
[20:15] <tdonohue> Also, forgot to write in that we began with a quick update of DSpace w/Fedora Inside. Latest update is that currently there's no active development work going on, but there has been some ongoing discussions/brainstorms
[20:19] <tdonohue> DuraCloud as a storage area for high-res images/video. DSpace used more for access copy
[20:21] <tdonohue> Richard notes that current Replication Task Suite can just backup selective Bundles (in an Item) in an AIP. This could allow you to only backup high-res copies to Cloud.
[20:22] <tdonohue> This discussion is leading into Metadata on all Objects discussion. Richard notes that "biggest bang for buck" may be in Bitstream metadata? MarkW brings up a need for multi-lingual Collections/Communities, which may need Metadata on those objects
[20:22] <tdonohue> Andrea brings up need to have CC licensing on different Bitstreams.
[20:22] <mdiggory> HI Everyone.
[20:23] <tdonohue> Hardy mentions at Missouri they have requests for 'subject headings' on Collections (to group them in a different way).
[20:24] <tdonohue> Peter mentions definite need for Bitstream metadata -- you may want to know preservation/creation metadata around images/videos, etc. Need richer metadata (JHOVE, DROID, etc). Others agree.
[20:25] <robint> Hi all ! Don't want to interrupt the conversation to say hello.
[20:25] <tdonohue> Richard: in MDS work, you can add metadata to Bitstream (at least the skeleton of it is there). But, how should bitstream metadata be exposed in search/browse?
[20:25] <mhwood> Hello.
[20:25] <tdonohue> MarkD: maybe this should be configurable?
[20:26] <tdonohue> Richard: config is harder -- different bitstreams may have different metadata & different schemas. How do we handle this?
[20:27] <grahamtriggs> Biggest bang for buck would be to allow metadata for all DSOs - acknowledging there may be some scalability issues, it's 'simply' a case of making item_id a resource_id, adding the resource type, and a service to set / interrogate. That's an awful lot of power for a relatively small amount of changes.
[20:28] <tdonohue> MarkD: Discovery trying to make facets pluggable (so you can develop new facet types). Want to also make indexing pluggable (so that indexing can be slightly different for different object types).
[20:30] <tdonohue> MarkD: should we start to think about making Discovery the default search/browse? It could simplify the problem if we are working towards one solution rather than many at once.
[20:31] <tdonohue> MarkD: is suggesting potentially /search directory (Lucene index) would become Solr. Also the Browse DB tables would be replaced with Solr
[20:32] <tdonohue> Richard: doesn't a single abstraction to Lucene also get you those benefits? Does it have to be Solr?
[20:33] <tdonohue> Graham: Lucene does have browse-based libraries we could us. Also there are alternatives to Solr.
[20:35] <tdonohue> Discovery does have some abstractions. It could run on something other than Solr.
[20:35] <PeterDietz> OSU has SOLR stats, not using discovery on production.
[20:36] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@host86-163-164-157.range86-163.btcentralplus.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:36] <tdonohue> Andrea running Discovery/Solr, but on 1.7. Robin is upgrading to 1.8 and Solr is one of the big features (faceted searching/browsing)
[20:38] <tdonohue> Peter: concerns on Solr Stats (on small machines).
[20:39] <tdonohue> MarkD: Solr Stats can be separated from Discovery. Can use completely separate Solr instances for each, as needed.
[20:39] <grahamtriggs> I don't think mdiggory was around the other day, so I'll repost this link http://engineering.socialcast.com/2011/05/realtime-search-solr-vs-elasticsearch/
[20:39] <kompewter> [ Realtime Search: Solr vs Elasticsearch | Socialcast Engineering ] - http://engineering.socialcast.com/2011/05/realtime-search-solr-vs-elasticsearch/
[20:42] <mdiggory> sounds like an interesting experiment to implement this as the backend for discovery
[20:43] <tdonohue> Discovery as "default" option versus *only* option.
[20:43] <stuartlewis> Has any progress been made towards Discovery for JSPUI?
[20:46] <tdonohue> MarkD had suggested Discovery as "only" option (but you could implement a new backend plugin for it that wasn't based on Solr)
[20:51] * tdonohue1 (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[20:51] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Disconnected by services)
[20:51] * tdonohue1 is now known as tdonohue
[20:52] <tdonohue> All -- sorry to drop off suddenly. Just had a power surge that knocked me 100% offline for a bit. Now back online
[20:52] <tdonohue> I'm back.
[20:56] <stuartlewis> https://github.com/skylightui/skylight
[20:56] <kompewter> [ skylightui/skylight - GitHub ] - https://github.com/skylightui/skylight
[20:56] <stuartlewis> Uses solr as the 'read' API.
[20:57] <stuartlewis> And we run curation jobs such as 'bitstream2metadata' to get bitstream info into metadata, so that skylight knows what bitsreams exist for an item.
[20:58] <tdonohue> Stuart: SkylightUI uses Solr rather than REST API, cause Solr gives better replication natively than DSpace REST API
[21:00] <mdiggory> stuartlewis: interesting
[21:01] <tdonohue> Robint: Consolidating around Discovery may be worthwhile.
[21:01] <tdonohue> Andrea: need to be sure that Discovery is really working well before making it the only/default solution. Some bugs in Discovery + 1.7
[21:11] <stuartlewis> Discovery would benefit from other features, such as spelling correction, related items, authZ policies etc.
[21:11] * helix84 (a@ has joined #duraspace
[21:14] <helix84> hello guys, did i just miss a developer meeting?
[21:14] <aschweer> hi helix84 -- no regular dev meeting this week, it's the virtual dev summit instead
[21:15] <aschweer> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-02-27+-+Virtual+Summit
[21:15] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2012-02-27 - Virtual Summit - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-02-27+-+Virtual+Summit
[21:15] <helix84> oh, ok, haven't heard about it yet
[21:16] <aschweer> helix84: the call is still going, if you want to dial in?
[21:16] <stuartlewis> Another reason I like Discovery: http://blog.stuartlewis.com/2011/08/26/the-collection-is-dead-long-live-the-collection/
[21:16] <kompewter> [ Stuart Lewis' Blog ยป The collection is dead! Long live the collection! ] - http://blog.stuartlewis.com/2011/08/26/the-collection-is-dead-long-live-the-collection/
[21:17] <helix84> aschweer: thanks, but no, i'm multitasking :)
[21:17] <helix84> i'll just wait for next irc meeting
[21:17] <aschweer> helix84: fair enough (we have some listening-only people in the call though I think -- there'll be calls again tomorrow and the day after)
[21:20] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has left #duraspace
[21:20] * stuartlewis (~stuartlew@host86-163-164-157.range86-163.btcentralplus.com) has left #duraspace
[21:22] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:59] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has left #duraspace
[22:08] <hpottinger> whoops, missed mdiggory, darn, our vet came by to check on one of our cats
[22:10] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:20] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@cpc18-stev6-2-0-cust239.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[22:55] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Later, taterz!)
[23:09] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.