#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2012-03-02

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:53] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace
[3:18] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[6:31] -pratchett.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:31] -pratchett.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:31] -pratchett.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:32] -pratchett.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:32] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:32] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:32] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[8:07] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace
[8:16] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[8:21] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace
[9:14] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[13:08] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:29] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[17:48] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[18:51] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C154B1.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:47] <tdonohue> Hi all, reminder that in a little less than 15 mins, we have our final meeting of DSpace Developers Virtual Summit: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-02-27+-+Virtual+Summit
[19:47] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2012-02-27 - Virtual Summit - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-02-27+-+Virtual+Summit
[19:54] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[19:57] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:00] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Client Quit)
[20:01] <tdonohue> Actionable Takeaways: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-02-27+-+Virtual+Summit#DevMtg2012-02-27-VirtualSummit-ActionableTakeaways
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2012-02-27 - Virtual Summit - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-02-27+-+Virtual+Summit#DevMtg2012-02-27-VirtualSummit-ActionableTakeaways
[20:02] <tdonohue> Tim messing around with Dabbleboard: http://dabbleboard.com/draw/tdonohue/dspace-virtual-summit
[20:02] <kompewter> [ Dabbleboard - Online whiteboard for drawing & team collaboration - Interactive whiteboard software ] - http://dabbleboard.com/draw/tdonohue/dspace-virtual-summit
[20:03] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has left #duraspace
[20:03] <tdonohue> Any others interested in Virtual summit today? mdiggory? scottatm?
[20:06] <mdiggory> Hi, just getting setup :-)
[20:08] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@cpc18-stev6-2-0-cust239.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:08] <mdiggory> Hi that was me just joining the call
[20:17] <tdonohue> Reviewing the Actionable Takeaways list right now...
[20:18] <tdonohue> Peter mentions question not touched on in Summit: How do new developers get started? Getting some better documentation for user training? How do we get people started at all levels
[20:22] <tdonohue> Related topics -- could lean on DCAT for some of this user training? Also could look to help add content to DuraSpace KnowledgeBase or hold tutorials at OR?
[20:25] <PeterDietz> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls
[20:25] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls
[20:26] <tdonohue> Peter talking about what docs we want in GitHub wiki. Do we want just basic install instructions in GitHub and link off to other resources in Confluence Wiki? Seems reasonable to others.
[20:27] <PeterDietz> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/issues/2
[20:27] <kompewter> [ Issue #2: dspace-1.7.2 tag points at 1.7.3-SNAPSHOT · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/issues/2
[20:28] <tdonohue> Do we use GitHub issue tracker? Likely not. We probably should turn it off?
[20:30] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[20:30] <mdiggory> More Advanced Embargo Support: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Advanced+Embargo+Support
[20:30] <kompewter> [ Advanced Embargo Support - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Advanced+Embargo+Support
[20:30] <tdonohue> Sounds like we'll turn off GitHub issue tracker to begin with (& use JIRA). We can always turn it on later if we find we really have a use for it.
[20:33] <tdonohue> Mark mentions they are working on Advanced Embargo. Intent is to bring to next DCAT meeting to see if it meets their requirements, etc. We (Committers) should likely discuss this in more detail at future weekly meeting.
[20:33] <hpottinger> I'm here, sorry late, film fest in town=traffic and network troubles
[20:34] <tdonohue> DCAT Meeting schedule is up at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/cmtygp/DCAT+Meeting+Notes
[20:34] <kompewter> [ DCAT Meeting Notes - Community Groups - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/cmtygp/DCAT+Meeting+Notes
[20:36] <tdonohue> Andrea : one of their sites are investigating making Mirage theme look better on mobile devices.
[20:37] <tdonohue> http://dabbleboard.com/draw/tdonohue/dspace-virtual-summit
[20:37] <kompewter> [ Dabbleboard - Online whiteboard for drawing & team collaboration - Interactive whiteboard software ] - http://dabbleboard.com/draw/tdonohue/dspace-virtual-summit
[20:46] <PeterDietz> https://github.com/brasiliana/Corisco/blob/master/docs/CoriscoDiagram.png
[20:46] <kompewter> [ Corisco/docs/CoriscoDiagram.png at master · brasiliana/Corisco · GitHub ] - https://github.com/brasiliana/Corisco/blob/master/docs/CoriscoDiagram.png
[20:57] <mdiggory> http://scholarworks.calstate.edu:9000/xmlui/handle/10211.3/12
[20:57] <kompewter> [ Library Information Technology Network ] - http://scholarworks.calstate.edu:9000/xmlui/handle/10211.3/12
[20:57] <mdiggory> http://scholarworks.calstate.edu:9000/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10211.3/12/IMG_2230.JPG.jp2?sequence=18
[20:57] <kompewter> [ Viewing item 10211.3/12/18/IMG_2230.JPG.jp2 ] - http://scholarworks.calstate.edu:9000/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10211.3/12/IMG_2230.JPG.jp2?sequence=18
[21:02] <mdiggory> http://code.google.com/p/dryad/source/browse/trunk#trunk%2Fdryad%2Fdspace%2Fmodules%2Fidentifier-services
[21:02] <kompewter> [ /trunk - dryad - Dryad is a repository for data underlying scientific publications, based on the DSpace platform. - Google Project Hosting ] - http://code.google.com/p/dryad/source/browse/trunk#trunk%2Fdryad%2Fdspace%2Fmodules%2Fidentifier-services
[21:03] <mdiggory> http://dev.datadryad.org/resource/doi:10.5061/dryad.1385.2
[21:03] <kompewter> [ Data from: pubyou Contrasting pattern of natural variation in global Drosophila melanogaster populations ] - http://dev.datadryad.org/resource/doi:10.5061/dryad.1385.2
[21:04] <mdiggory> http://dev.datadryad.org/resource/10255/dryad.36265
[21:04] <kompewter> [ Data from: pubyou Contrasting pattern of natural variation in global Drosophila melanogaster populations ] - http://dev.datadryad.org/resource/10255/dryad.36265
[21:05] <mdiggory> http://dev.datadryad.org/resource/info:hdl/10255/dryad.36265
[21:05] <kompewter> [ Data from: pubyou Contrasting pattern of natural variation in global Drosophila melanogaster populations ] - http://dev.datadryad.org/resource/info:hdl/10255/dryad.36265
[21:07] <mdiggory> http://dev.datadryad.org/resource/doi:10.5061/dryad.1385.2
[21:07] <kompewter> [ Data from: pubyou Contrasting pattern of natural variation in global Drosophila melanogaster populations ] - http://dev.datadryad.org/resource/doi:10.5061/dryad.1385.2
[21:08] <mdiggory> http://dev.datadryad.org/resource/doi:10.5061/dryad.1385
[21:08] <kompewter> [ Data from: pubyou Contrasting pattern of natural variation in global Drosophila melanogaster populations ] - http://dev.datadryad.org/resource/doi:10.5061/dryad.1385
[21:14] <mdiggory> https://dryad.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/dryad/dspace/modules/versioning/
[21:14] <kompewter> [ dryad - Revision 5318: /trunk/dryad/dspace/modules/versioning ] - https://dryad.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/dryad/dspace/modules/versioning/
[21:16] <tdonohue> Been on a sidetopic of Dryad features like identifier services & versioning.
[21:19] <tdonohue> Next steps Dryad -- promote these codebases that are out there. @mire is looking to present more at upcoming conferences
[21:19] <tdonohue> needs more documentation as well for more people to dig in
[21:26] <grahamtriggs> imho, would be better to have more frequent 'summits', over fewer days, [slightly] longer meetings in each day
[21:29] <PeterDietz> I'd say that 5 days is a bit fatiguing. maybe 3 days * 2 hours each.. +/-
[21:33] <hpottinger> IRC is a lot more office-friendly
[21:34] <mhwood> I like to be able to edit myself, when we get down to details.
[21:35] <mhwood> Is there an emoticon for "I don't know how to respond to that"?
[21:35] <PeterDietz> :-/
[21:35] <hpottinger> o.O
[21:35] <grahamtriggs> I like having both together - voice to listen to, sometimes express ideas quickly, plus IRC for clarity/precision, url links, and heckling
[21:36] <mhwood> Interesting point.
[21:40] <hpottinger> yes, kudos to Tim, for sure
[21:42] <tdonohue> Question : would it be worth thinking about having more frequent voice meetings? either monthly or for "special topics meeting"? need to brainstorm amongst ourselves
[21:42] <tdonohue> folks had both pros & cons (trying to capture these for our logs)
[21:42] <mdiggory> thanks tdonohue !!!!!!
[21:43] <tdonohue> pros: voice chat makes it easier to sometimes discuss larger topics & also avoid "silence" in IRC
[21:44] <tdonohue> cons: IRC sometimes has other developers lurking in -- and we don't want to leave them out of these meetings (Would be interesting to know if some of our other non-Committer meeting attendees would attend via Skype on occasion)
[21:44] <tdonohue> ok. that's it for my notes I think :)
[21:44] <tdonohue> Thanks all for a great Virtual Summit! If you have any other feedback, definitely send it my way. We will also bring it up again next week at our Developer mtg
[21:44] <mhwood> Consider what style of interaction works best on the topic at hand, at its state of development.
[21:45] <mhwood> Does it need rapid back-and-forth, thoughtful editing, precise documentation....
[21:45] <hpottinger> tdonohue, my opinion on this topic is that the voice does add a lot to the conversation, but that it requires a different environment in order to participate, I came home to participate in the Summit without disturbing coworkers, and while that was really nice, I don't imagine I could pull it off on a weekly basis
[21:47] <mhwood> Heh, I need to get my home network link working more smoothly. I could drag a laptop to McDonald's for an IRC meeting but that doesn't sound so good for voice chat.
[21:48] <tdonohue> hpottinger -- that's good to know. I suspect that for some IRC is just much easier cause you can login from anywhere
[21:48] <tdonohue> (heck, I know we've even had folks join IRC meetings from a conference presentation or similar)
[21:49] <mhwood> Where are all those "subvocal" interfaces that the SF writers go on about? (I know: they're installed in the flying cars.)
[21:50] <hpottinger> tdonohue: or present webinars from public libraries ;-)
[21:50] <grahamtriggs> hpottinger: use a headset. It's no worse to your coworkers than being on the phone.
[21:50] <grahamtriggs> tdonohue: at my old workplace, IRC was blocked - but Skype wasn't
[21:51] <hpottinger> grahamtriggs, true... I'll look into it, and IRC is blocked on my campus, too... though we found a sneaky way around it
[21:51] <mdiggory> PeterDietz: So... here come all the questions Mr. GitHub...
[21:51] <tdonohue> grahamtriggs: that's actually kinda funny. When I worked at Illinois, they blocked Skype but not IRC.
[21:52] <mdiggory> Say we've got 3-4 projects that we want to approach each separately for review... do we fork the DSpace Github repo for each case?
[21:52] <PeterDietz> hi.. i unlurked..
[21:52] <grahamtriggs> So, what we need is a joint IRC / Skype conference call, with a bot doing text-to-speech and speech-to-text bridging
[21:53] <mhwood> Side note: a file doesn't have to be in GitHub to be usable via Git. Dunno if that's relevant to anything at the moment but I thought of it when we were discussing all the stuff in GitHub that we might not want just yet.
[21:53] <hpottinger> I'm not so sure I trust kompewter that well, grahamtriggs ;-)
[21:53] <mdiggory> So... 1. ElasticSearch, 2. MVCWeb/Cocoon stuff, 3. IdentiferServices/VersioningServices, 4.... I'm sure theres a few more ;-)
[21:54] <PeterDietz> mdiggory: It sounds like you asked if someone has three seperate features that they have in-progress, how do they make it so that they can incorporate those improvements into the upstream?
[21:54] <PeterDietz> would these all have enough "source" that they came from DSpace/DSpace, or is one a fork of DSpace/webmvc ?
[21:54] <mdiggory> Right, but we are just starting with moving those features to github... and thus what would be the best strategy...
[21:55] <mdiggory> DSpace/DSpace
[21:55] <PeterDietz> if what we're talking about is that you started from the regular dspace/trunk or DSpace/DSpace, then you only have one fork atmire/DSpace
[21:55] <PeterDietz> you'll have three branches off of master
[21:55] <mdiggory> Or, our challenge with moving dryad to github, will be to establish that they did indeed come from DSpace/DSpace
[21:56] <PeterDietz> elastic, mvcweb, versioning, ...
[21:56] <mdiggory> So, don't fork?
[21:56] <PeterDietz> when the elastic branch is good enough (i.e. complete) you'll send pull-request for DSpace/DSpace to look at atmire/DSpace/elastic
[21:57] <PeterDietz> I don't think you can even have more than 1 fork on GitHub of the same project
[21:57] <mdiggory> Can you branch in the guthub UI?
[21:58] <PeterDietz> you can look at branches in the UI
[21:59] <PeterDietz> https://github.com/peterdietz/DSpace/commits/document-preview-jspui/
[21:59] <kompewter> [ Commit History · peterdietz/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/peterdietz/DSpace/commits/document-preview-jspui/
[21:59] <mdiggory> So, going back to an example case.... Gaurav did fork DSpace/DSpace and maintains the DB based Submission work there
[21:59] <PeterDietz> https://github.com/peterdietz/DSpace/commits/itunes-podcast-feed?
[21:59] <kompewter> [ Commit History · peterdietz/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/peterdietz/DSpace/commits/itunes-podcast-feed?
[22:00] <mdiggory> https://github.com/gauravkl/DSpace
[22:00] <kompewter> [ gauravkl/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/gauravkl/DSpace
[22:00] <KevinVdV> <= Needs sleep, until later ...
[22:00] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C154B1.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: HydraIRC -> http://www.hydrairc.com <- s0 d4Mn l33t |t'z 5c4rY!)
[22:01] <mhwood> So maybe you have your fork at GitHub, which is the "known good" repository, and various clones locally (you'll have those anyway) which are work-in-progress. When a WIP is in a good state you can push it up to GitHub and folks can pull from that. Is this sensible? (Sorry, still a Git noob.)
[22:02] <mdiggory> Ok, so you branch in your local fork... ok
[22:02] <PeterDietz> guarav can keep his fork associated with his name their.. but a user/organization can only have one fork
[22:02] <PeterDietz> and your atmire-edition/DSpace can have numerous branches
[22:04] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:11] <mdiggory> thanks PeterDietz
[22:14] <hpottinger> so, PeterDietz, procedural question: we create and use forks for work on new features? or do we branch on the DSpace repository?
[22:17] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[22:18] <mdiggory> Is it possible to only fork a directory of a repository?
[22:19] <PeterDietz> hpottinger: thats probably going to be a decision you'll make each time. I think you'll want to develop things in your github/hpottinger/dspace location
[22:20] <PeterDietz> common changes in DSpace/DSpace such as 1.8.x branch or possibly even mds could live at the main point
[22:20] <PeterDietz> no forking just a directory.
[22:20] <PeterDietz> We've decided to create a seperate repository for managing config changes
[22:20] <PeterDietz> i.e. dspace/config is clean/bare
[22:21] <PeterDietz> but I go to my installed [dspace]/config and do git init .
[22:21] <PeterDietz> then I can keep track (in seperate location) all of my configs... without that information being in our code repository
[22:22] <PeterDietz> if you ever wanted just a subset of a repository, there is some magic called filter-branch that allows you to split out a directory into its own repository.. but its more of a one-time thing
[22:22] <PeterDietz> i.e. this project is being refactored, and dspace-jspui should no longer be in this repository.. so we'll filter it out into its own repo..
[22:25] <hpottinger> I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all, need to do some more reading
[22:28] <PeterDietz> you can't check out / clone a subset of a git repo
[22:28] <PeterDietz> if that becomes a need, then we'll need to re-arrange dspace.. i.e. for pom-change-driven release repos
[22:30] <mdiggory> Ok... this sounds like it will be an issue int he proposed refactoring of the maven projects?
[22:31] <PeterDietz> I think your just going to be renaming things no?
[22:31] <mdiggory> so, say we do what I outlined here....
[22:31] <PeterDietz> dspace-xmlui/dspace-xmlui-api/src/main/java becomes /dspace-xmlui/src/main/java
[22:31] <mdiggory> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Maven+Project+Consolidation
[22:31] <kompewter> [ Maven Project Consolidation - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Maven+Project+Consolidation
[22:31] <mdiggory> right
[22:32] <mdiggory> renaming and removing directories.
[22:32] <mdiggory> and altering poms
[22:32] <PeterDietz> renaming is fine.. thats a very normal use-case
[22:33] <PeterDietz> there wouldn't be any surprises
[22:33] <mdiggory> so how would renaming in git differ from moving in SVN
[22:33] <PeterDietz> it would handle that as well as, if not better than svn
[22:34] <mdiggory> this where we need advisement. we want to do it in a manner that carries the history properly and makes sure that when other merge the changes they are easy to deal with
[22:34] <PeterDietz> # On branch master
[22:34] <PeterDietz> # Changes to be committed:
[22:34] <PeterDietz> # (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
[22:34] <PeterDietz> #
[22:34] <mdiggory> given this is a new medium... this is the first pass
[22:34] <PeterDietz> # renamed: IMG_7584.JPG -> image-of-baby.jpg
[22:34] <PeterDietz> #
[22:35] <PeterDietz> it tracks history of renames
[22:35] <mdiggory> but this is more than a rename if it changes the directory.... no?
[22:36] <hpottinger> gotta run, will check the transcript later, thanks!
[22:36] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has left #duraspace
[22:37] <PeterDietz> mkdir -p dspace-jspui/src/main
[22:37] <PeterDietz> git mv dspace-jspui/dspace-jspui-api/src/main/java dspace-jspui/src/main/java
[22:37] <PeterDietz> # Changes to be committed:
[22:37] <PeterDietz> # (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
[22:37] <PeterDietz> #
[22:37] <PeterDietz> # renamed: dspace-jspui/dspace-jspui-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/RecentCollectionSubmissions.java -> dspace-jspui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/RecentCollectionSubmissions.java
[22:37] <PeterDietz> # renamed: dspace-jspui/dspace-jspui-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/RecentCommunitySubmissions.java -> dspace-jspui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/RecentCommunitySubmissions.java
[22:37] <PeterDietz> # renamed: dspace-jspui/dspace-jspui-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/RecentSubmissions.java -> dspace-jspui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/RecentSubmissions.java
[22:37] <PeterDietz> # renamed: dspace-jspui/dspace-jspui-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/RecentSubmissionsException.java -> dspace-jspui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/RecentSubmissionsException.java
[22:37] <PeterDietz> # renamed: dspace-jspui/dspace-jspui-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/RecentSubmissionsManager.java -> dspace-jspui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/RecentSubmissionsManager.java
[22:38] <PeterDietz> # renamed: dspace-jspui/dspace-jspui-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/StatisticsBean.java -> dspace-jspui/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/webui/components/StatisticsBean.java
[22:38] <PeterDietz> ...
[22:38] <mdiggory> ok... so renaming is an absolute path thing too
[22:39] <PeterDietz> you could do all these refactorings from within IntelliJ, and it will I think also keep track of this..
[22:41] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-76-24-25-206.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[22:53] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:14] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-76-24-25-206.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[23:17] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@cpc18-stev6-2-0-cust239.9-2.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[23:23] * PeterDietz (~peterdiet@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[23:24] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-76-24-25-206.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[23:31] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-76-24-25-206.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[23:36] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-76-24-25-206.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.