#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2012-04-05

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:55] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) has joined #duraspace
[2:08] * bradmc (~bradmc@207-172-69-79.c3-0.smr-ubr3.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[4:19] * ablemann (~alexleman@subsetsum.com) Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[4:19] * ablemann (~alexleman@subsetsum.com) has joined #duraspace
[6:30] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:30] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:30] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:30] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:30] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:30] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:30] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[12:13] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:59] * cwilper (ad579d7c@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[12:59] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[13:00] * Ed___ (1809d1a2@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[13:00] <eddies> fyi: i'll be joining the call a couple mins late
[13:04] * frank__ (2e05a4bb@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[13:04] * ajs6f (4a5c9982@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[13:05] * frank__ is now known as elschlomo
[13:05] * Dan_Davis (4a4f9413@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[13:06] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Fedora Object model has not been discussed much as part of 4.0 planning.
[13:06] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Set aside versioning and other warts in the current design.
[13:08] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Has come up especially early with Topaz (Ambra)
[13:09] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Consider about modeling as open Rdf (named graph) instead of a current form.
[13:09] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Graph eventually related eventuall to immutable bytestreams
[13:11] <Dan_Davis> Adam: Had a similar discussion with Steve
[13:12] <Dan_Davis> Adam: Runs into object model.
[13:13] <Dan_Davis> Adam: Has constructed an OWL ontology.
[13:14] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Yes there are many facets, Started with storage.
[13:16] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Very open data model but started with lowest level package.
[13:17] <Dan_Davis> Adam: RDF pointing to package.
[13:17] * barmintor (~barmintor@cpe-72-229-190-215.nyc.res.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[13:17] <barmintor> can someone post the code for the conf. line? I don
[13:18] <barmintor> t seem to have a note of it at this machine
[13:18] <ajs6f> RDF taking on the functionality of package
[13:18] <cwilper> Via Phone (US Number): +1(805)399-1200, Access Code: 341861
[13:18] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:20] <barmintor> thanks cwilper
[13:23] <Dan_Davis> Dan: We should understand that we have a balancing act to do to make useful piece of infrastructure
[13:25] <Dan_Davis> Dan: At Fedora's core it is a bridge between fine-grained and course-grained information systems - but itself is based on the lowest end include course-grained immutable bytestreams.
[13:26] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Much more open ended model - possibly in OWL but graph oriented regardless.
[13:27] <Dan_Davis> Adam: Earlier - Facing object model
[13:29] <Dan_Davis> Adam: Dissemination provides a facade (always dynamic) where you can get the graph or parts.
[13:31] <Dan_Davis> Ben: Do services go away.
[13:32] <Dan_Davis> Adam: Not necessarily but need to be rethought.
[13:35] <barmintor> Well, it depends on what folks we're talking about ;)
[13:37] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Not a quad store, no big quad store in the sky.
[13:37] <Dan_Davis> Adam: yes, even linked data. :-)
[13:38] <Dan_Davis> Adam: Likely internal graph for durability
[13:39] <Dan_Davis> Adam: Web lacks this notion.
[13:41] <ajs6f> Web lacks that value, even.
[13:41] <barmintor> I have a devil's advocate comment re: IDs, and a suggestion about process
[13:42] <Dan_Davis> Chris: There is a PREMIS owl model.
[13:46] <Dan_Davis> Dan: Tension between flexibility, openness and interoperability
[13:47] <Dan_Davis> Eddie: Why have poople not used Fedora maybe we have overconcentrated on openness.
[13:48] <Dan_Davis> Chris: What has Fedora not been taken up or dropped. What features: Scaling.
[13:49] <Dan_Davis> Eddie: Get the "whys'" out in the open.
[13:49] <Dan_Davis> Eddie: We have talked about objects as named graphs.
[13:50] <Dan_Davis> Adam: We want to do richer Rdf and need to use blank nodes.
[13:52] <barmintor> When do blue-sky conversations on the committer call become publicly available design propositions that the community can respond to?
[13:52] <ajs6f> And how?
[13:52] <barmintor> I thnk this is a necessary step in the resolution of some sticky issues
[13:53] <Dan_Davis> Dan: What happen when intellectual object are overlayed on Fedora objects.
[13:54] <Dan_Davis> Eddie: We need to find out what are the real issues.
[13:57] <Dan_Davis> Eddie: What is Fedora's special sauce?
[13:59] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Some of the questions about Quad and named graph is intended to serve other uses.
[14:00] <eddies> gotta run. have another call
[14:03] <Dan_Davis> Dan: Reacting to Bens statement: How do we redesign and not just have words in the air.
[14:05] <Dan_Davis> Ben: How do we engage constituents. Start with forming the use case and publish it. Be willing to reconsider if feedback indicates a new direction.
[14:05] <barmintor> I DEMAND IT!
[14:05] <Dan_Davis> Adam: Agrees.
[14:07] <Dan_Davis> Adam: We have and need experimentation.
[14:07] <Dan_Davis> Ben: Checksum bug.
[14:07] <Dan_Davis> Ben: FCREPO-787
[14:08] <Dan_Davis> Ben: Worked out policy problem, tests - does not work with FESL.
[14:11] * elschlomo (2e05a4bb@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[14:11] <Dan_Davis> Ben: Trying to Springify FESL. So non-web layer policies work.
[14:12] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Significant change, should be considered, notes that enforcement need not be a both layers.
[14:13] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Currently a lot of copy and paste code.
[14:14] <Dan_Davis> Chris: Should the policy enforcement be appropriate to the layer.
[14:15] <Dan_Davis> Adam: Should not be in the web layer anyway, should be lower.
[14:15] <ajs6f> Valedicte
[14:15] <ajs6f> \quit
[14:15] * ajs6f (4a5c9982@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[14:17] <Dan_Davis> Ben: If loaded in a Web application is is loading into the Web app context.
[14:21] <barmintor> Thanks all!
[14:46] * Ed___ (1809d1a2@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[14:50] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has joined #duraspace
[14:57] * cwilper (ad579d7c@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[15:06] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[15:29] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-24-61-23-4.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:38] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-24-61-23-4.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[15:39] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-24-61-23-4.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:03] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[16:30] * bradmc (~bradmc@c-24-61-23-4.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: bradmc)
[16:55] * grahamtriggs (~Graham@host213-123-239-134.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has left #duraspace
[17:53] * Dan_Davis (4a4f9413@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[18:39] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[18:40] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:09] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:17] * keithg (~vtkeithg@2001:468:c80:a103:9c2e:f59c:efce:3767) has left #duraspace
[22:02] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[22:05] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[23:13] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip72-199-216-7.sd.sd.cox.net) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.