#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2012-06-14

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:09] <helix84> i'll investigate how to write the XSLT to deal with multiple rights.xml files
[0:09] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[0:10] <helix84> ok, i'll write you an email...
[1:24] -jtrucks- [Global Notice] - A reminder that this coming weekend sees our long awaited services upgrade and database prune. All nicks unused for 150 days or more will be dropped from the database. Please make sure you have identified to your accounts and used your grouped nicks. Use /msg nickserv info while identified to see yours, and thanks for flying freenode!
[6:50] -hubbard.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:50] -hubbard.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:50] -hubbard.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:50] -hubbard.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:51] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:51] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:51] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[11:03] * elschlomo (~ruckus@HSI-KBW-046-005-164-187.hsi8.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) has joined #duraspace
[11:04] <elschlomo> worldi hola
[11:04] <elschlomo> oops
[11:22] * helix84 (a@ has left #duraspace
[12:10] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:50] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[12:55] * cwilper (ad579e7f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[12:58] * asger (82e11a21@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[13:00] * eddies (~eddies@cm18.epsilon183.maxonline.com.sg) has joined #duraspace
[13:00] * eddies (~eddies@cm18.epsilon183.maxonline.com.sg) Quit (Changing host)
[13:00] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[13:04] <asger> This should be the link
[13:04] <asger> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2012&month=6&day=14&hour=13&min=0&sec=0&p1=179&p2=136&p3=195&p4=1405
[13:04] <kompewter> [ The World Clock Meeting Planner - Details ] - http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2012&month=6&day=14&hour=13&min=0&sec=0&p1=179&p2=136&p3=195&p4=1405
[13:07] * ajs6f (d80c403e@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[13:08] <ajs6f> We are calendaring, apparently.
[13:11] <elschlomo> Make sure your server is stopped before continuing.
[13:11] <elschlomo> Server directory is /home/ruckus/dev/fedora-3.6/server
[13:11] <elschlomo> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
[13:11] <elschlomo> Error: java.lang.NullPointerException
[13:11] <elschlomo> java.lang.NullPointerException
[13:11] <elschlomo> at org.fcrepo.server.Server.getBeanNamesForType(Server.java:1659)
[13:12] <ajs6f> Chris: When testers find problems, make a Jira issue and a note on the release testing page.
[13:15] <ajs6f> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FCREPO/Fedora+3.6+-+Test+Plan
[13:15] <kompewter> [ Fedora 3.6 - Test Plan - Fedora Repository Development - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FCREPO/Fedora+3.6+-+Test+Plan
[13:21] <ajs6f> Chris: Problem with object creation slowdown in testing is in Trippi resource pooling.
[13:21] <ajs6f> Chris: A one-liner fix.
[13:28] <ajs6f> Chris: The plan is to do a single complete run of tests, gather as much info as possible, then move onto fixing-fixing-fixing.
[13:41] <cwilper> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-989
[13:42] <kompewter> [ [#FCREPO-989] Support for JDK 7 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-989
[13:42] <cwilper> https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-1011
[13:42] <kompewter> [ [#FCREPO-1011] OpenJDK Support - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/FCREPO-1011
[13:53] <eddies> http://localhost:8080/fedora/objects/application.wadl
[13:54] <eddies> check for the string ":schemaLocation=" in the response
[14:12] <elschlomo> a collegue of mine gathered some numbers from running fedora on a Hadoop Cluster via akubra-hdfs in comparison to akubra-fs:https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5nd_qlYdcqySERLTlZ6ck11MG8
[14:12] <kompewter> [ SCAPE_Evaluation_Report.pdf - Google Docs ] - https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5nd_qlYdcqySERLTlZ6ck11MG8
[14:13] <ajs6f> Chris-- still there?
[14:13] <cwilper> yes, i'm here
[14:13] <ajs6f> I wanted to add a suggestion or two to "things for the face-to-face".
[14:13] <ajs6f> 1) SemWeb vs. Fedora.
[14:13] <ajs6f> You know this has been a concern of mine for a while, and
[14:13] <ajs6f> the Acuity Unlimited boys are thinking about it too.
[14:14] <ajs6f> We've had some good discussions about it on the special topic call.
[14:14] <ajs6f> I wanted to delve into it in E-burgh and come through principles to some kind of road-map.
[14:14] <ajs6f> Particularly, I want principles that produce a good understanding of the relationship
[14:15] <ajs6f> between the bitstreams and the RDF.
[14:15] <ajs6f> We could start with your recent RFC.
[14:15] <ajs6f> 2) Dismembering Fedora gracefully.
[14:16] <ajs6f> In the past few years, via Trippi and Akubra some good work has been done to slice off pieces of architecture.
[14:16] <cwilper> Do you think it makes sense to have part of the meeting time with the group about this? I know before you mentioned a breakout session. But I'm not aware of any other candidates for "breakout session" material. My guess is that this discussion would be quite relevant to the whole group.
[14:16] <ajs6f> You mean 1)?
[14:16] <cwilper> Yes.
[14:16] <ajs6f> Yeah, I certainly think it extremely important.
[14:17] <ajs6f> To me, it gets at part of the heart of the "what is Fedora?" question.
[14:18] <ajs6f> And you know I've been deating a drum for a while about loosening up the object model, and I believe that shifting the definition of an object instance from construction (via Java)
[14:18] * asger (82e11a21@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[14:18] <ajs6f> to validity (via OWL or other ontology-language) is key to doing that right.
[14:19] <ajs6f> We can't do _that_ without a clear sense of where Fedora ends and the Web begins.
[14:19] <ajs6f> deating -> beating
[14:19] <ajs6f> I don't know how you deat a drum.
[14:20] <ajs6f> So 2)... there are only a few implementations of Trippi or Akubra (although Akubra seems to have gathered more steam as a project, which may say something about
[14:20] <cwilper> exactly. I would be very interested to hear from others on that too. The Internet Draft I did is relevant to that, though admittedly, I didn't intend to necessarily tie it to "what is Fedora". So I'd welcome discussion about it, but I don't want folks assuming it's a proposal for Fedora necessarily.
[14:20] <ajs6f> what people want to spend time with).
[14:21] <ajs6f> Oh, no. I didn't assume that. I just think it's a good place to start from my POV because it _is_ how I think of F-objects and how I want other people to think of them.
[14:21] * elschlomo (~ruckus@HSI-KBW-046-005-164-187.hsi8.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[14:22] <ajs6f> So I _want_ it to be a proposal for Fedora. {grin}
[14:23] <ajs6f> On 2) I'd like us to spend some time thinking/talking about _how and why_ Trippi and Akubra have and haven't succeeded, and where we might want to slice off other pieces of the architecture.
[14:24] <ajs6f> I think that discussion will work very naturally against the desire to develop work-proposals for managed projects.
[14:25] <ajs6f> E.g. could the CMA itself be rearchitectured as a fine-grained SOA that becomes pluggable against the kernel? That would open up a huge space of experimentation.
[14:25] <ajs6f> It would also be very, very difficult.
[14:26] <ajs6f> SO... those are two topics I want to push for E-burgh. (As opposed to general themes, like "What is Fedora?", "What are our architectural principles?", and "Where's the best place to get a beer around here?"
[14:26] <ajs6f> )
[14:27] <cwilper> I've wondered the same. I just want a flexible storage subsystem that has the expressivity inherent in RDF. Something that scales very well and therefore doesn't try to shove everything into a single triplestore, and acknowledges the existence of blobs. Then I can layer whatever I want on top of that.
[14:29] <ajs6f> {cough} Apache Sling.
[14:29] <ajs6f> The JCR node metadata semantics can express RDF. Stanbol's CMS connector subsystem shows one way to do it.
[14:30] <ajs6f> Part of what I really want to ask in my 2) above is: what are we doing that we should _stop_ doing. What are we reinventing? What are we refusing to reuse? The best way to get more resources for development from the community is not to need them.
[14:31] <ajs6f> The more (and better) we understand Fedora (currently implicit) information architecture, the more easily we will steal^H^H^H^H^H reuse from other communities.
[14:32] <ajs6f> s/Fedora/Fedora's/
[14:32] <kompewter> ajs6f meant to say: The more (and better) we understand Fedora's (currently implicit) information architecture, the more easily we will steal^H^H^H^H^H reuse from other communities.
[14:54] <eddies> anyone know how to reference a particular maven artifact as a property? e.g. ${org.fcrepo:mptstore:jar}
[14:54] <eddies> trying to figure out how to do resource filtering but no luck thus far
[14:54] <eddies> for now, i've just pushed an updated install.properties with (updated) hardcoded values
[14:55] <eddies> s/artifact/dependency/
[14:55] <kompewter> eddies meant to say: anyone know how to reference a particular maven dependency as a property? e.g. ${org.fcrepo:mptstore:jar}
[14:56] <ajs6f> It ain't a pretty idea, but could you do it as a string? In other words, assemble "org.fcrepo:mptstore:jar" from other properties?
[14:57] <ajs6f> Or maybe like this? (Second answer)
[14:57] <ajs6f> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2359872/can-i-use-the-path-to-a-maven-dependency-as-a-property
[14:57] <kompewter> [ Can I use the path to a Maven dependency as a property? - Stack Overflow ] - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2359872/can-i-use-the-path-to-a-maven-dependency-as-a-property
[14:58] <ajs6f> Wait-- I meant to say, (first answer).
[14:59] <ajs6f> Or even better-- let's just switch the entire build process over to Gradle. Yeah, that's the ticket...
[15:02] <ajs6f> I'm outta here for the day-- Chris, please shoot us an email when you make the fix for that script that stops the Trippi-related slowdown. I'm going to wait to continue testing until then.
[15:03] <cwilper> Oh, that's already pushed.
[15:04] <ajs6f> Faaaaantastic. {grin}
[15:04] <cwilper> Gradle++ Been wanting to look at that but haven't made the time yet.
[15:04] <ajs6f> That was a joke. Seriously.
[15:05] <cwilper> Too late, I already pushed that too!
[15:05] <ajs6f> Actually, I'm fine with anything we want to use, especially because I'd really like us to begin thinking of Fedora as a JVM-based product, not a Java-product.
[15:05] <cwilper> kidding
[15:06] <ajs6f> Nope, now we're committed. Total rewrite to Gradle + Clojure running in Knopflerfish. Should really help us getting new committers involved.
[15:07] <ajs6f> I'm going to go test-ificate. I probably won't check back in before the weekend, but I'll be available via email.
[15:07] <ajs6f> See y'all soon.
[15:07] <cwilper> Yep, I'm open to JRuby, Jython, Groovy, and friends. The trick is getting agreement among other committers that we're willing/able to maintain source code in other langs.
[15:07] <cwilper> See ya.
[15:07] <ajs6f> \quit
[15:08] * ajs6f (d80c403e@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[17:12] * cwilper (ad579e7f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[17:49] * cwilper (ad579e7f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[18:54] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:56] * cwilper (ad579e7f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:26] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:07] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:26] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.