#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2012-09-12

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:36] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:36] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:36] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:36] -barjavel.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:36] [frigg VERSION]
[6:36] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:36] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:36] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[9:14] * Asger (~abr@nat.statsbiblioteket.dk) has joined #duraspace
[13:02] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:45] * eddies (~eddies@nd-66-205-169-147.nat.nd.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:45] * eddies (~eddies@nd-66-205-169-147.nat.nd.edu) Quit (Changing host)
[13:45] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[15:53] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[15:55] * eddies (~eddies@nd-66-205-169-147.nat.nd.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:55] * eddies (~eddies@nd-66-205-169-147.nat.nd.edu) Quit (Changing host)
[15:55] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[15:56] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Client Quit)
[17:36] * Asger (~abr@nat.statsbiblioteket.dk) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[18:50] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:07] * helix84 (a@ has joined #duraspace
[19:36] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[19:37] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:47] * kstamatis (4f6bbf9b@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:49] <kstamatis> Hi everyone
[19:57] <helix84> hi kostas
[19:57] * bollini (~chatzilla@host108-61-dynamic.7-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <helix84> hi everyone
[20:02] <helix84> i believe we should just have started the DevMtg
[20:02] <helix84> Sands told me today he's coming and will moderate
[20:03] <helix84> but maybe we should start with some status updates
[20:03] * sands (~sandsfish@ has joined #duraspace
[20:03] <helix84> i'd like to ask Andrea how are the EKT issues doing regarding adressing his concerns
[20:03] <sands> Hey alll, apologies for being late. Dealing w/ some tech issues on this end.
[20:04] <bollini> I hope to take a look closer to the last update tomorrow or the day after
[20:04] * sands (~sandsfish@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[20:04] <bollini> looking to the comments and fast scroll the diff it looks fine
[20:04] <bollini> the main issues will be some conflict with my discovery jspui porting
[20:04] <kstamatis> EKT: Remaining issues with comments not addressed are: DS-1226, DS-1237 and DS-1238
[20:05] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1226 ] - [#DS-1226] Batch import from basic bibliographic formats (Endnote, BibTex, RIS, TSV, CSV) - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:05] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1237 ] - [#DS-1237] Support date ranges in advance search - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:05] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1238 ] - [#DS-1238] Display advance search form after an advance search - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:05] <kstamatis> But we are hoping all of them are resolved due Friday
[20:05] <helix84> ok, andrea, if some of the issues already fixed your concerns, can you clear them and merge them?
[20:05] <helix84> btw thank you for taking them up!
[20:06] * sands (~sandsfish@ has joined #duraspace
[20:06] <bollini> helix84: ok, can I rebase for kstamatis or is it better than he do it?
[20:07] <bollini> helix84: step back ... do we need to rebase all the contribution right? 1 single commit to the master
[20:07] <helix84> bollini: that's only a technical detail, i guess both are fine. if kstamatis does it, he can update the existing pull request. you'd have to open a new one (or he'd have to pull the branch for you and force-push it)
[20:07] <helix84> bollini: it's not a requirement but it makes the history a lot clearer
[20:08] <helix84> bollini: if that's the only blocker feel free to skip it, there was no discussion about that yet
[20:08] <helix84> sands: i'm trying to use the time while you get online, feel free to take over at any time
[20:08] <bollini> helix84: if I do the rebase and open a new pull request what about authorship information ?
[20:09] <helix84> bollini: in a rebase, that's preserved if you do a squash, it depends on the one commit you choose to squash to
[20:09] <helix84> s/preserved/preserved. /
[20:09] <kompewter> helix84 meant to say: bollini: in a rebase, that's preserved. if you do a squash, it depends on the one commit you choose to squash to
[20:10] <sands> I believe I'm on a stable connection now. Does anyone have any issues they'd like to prioritize or shall we work from the same list as last week that lists open issues. (Can't find the URL however… Bueller?)
[20:10] <sands> Please feel free to finish current conversations of course.
[20:10] <helix84> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+3.0+Tasks
[20:10] <kompewter> [ DSpace 3.0 Tasks - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+3.0+Tasks
[20:10] <sands> thx helix
[20:10] <bollini> helix84: ok, so I need to squash on the first kstamatis commit. If I have any issue I will try to get help from you :-)
[20:11] <helix84> bollini: sure, glad to help. again, it's not a requirement, so if it's the only blocker, just skip it.
[20:11] <helix84> bollini: we can talk after the DevMth if you prefer IRC, or email me
[20:12] <bollini> helix84: ok, I will send you an email if needed. Thanks again
[20:12] <helix84> sands: do you remember where we ended up in the task list?
[20:12] * helix84 checking last log
[20:13] <sands> Thanks Helix, not sure of the exact one, but yes we should jump to the ones that got the short end of the stick last time.
[20:13] <helix84> i believe we ended on my DS-1078
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1078 ] - [#DS-1078] Assign users in LDAP group to DSpace group on login - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:14] <sands> I believe we were skipping bugs
[20:14] <helix84> in short, i have some minir improvements ready, still have to test them, keeping backwards compatibility in mind
[20:14] <helix84> sands: yes, we are. bug fixes can go in at any time
[20:14] <helix84> (that's the only reason why we're skipping them AFAIK)
[20:15] <sands> helix (and anyone), any additional notes on how to best test new features would be a huge help for Test-A-Thon time.
[20:15] <helix84> sands: that's a huge topic, i'd rather not go into that now
[20:15] <sands> So after the LDAP item, it's all bugs and docs.
[20:16] <sands> I'll put in here that I've started to review the internationalization concerns that were raised on dev this week.
[20:16] <sands> My hope is that we can make an exception and get them into this release since it is a good feature set and has been delayed (as noted) 4 releases now.
[20:16] <sands> They need to be turned into pull requests for now.
[20:16] <sands> *one.
[20:17] <sands> But I'm concerned about the work it'll take to get them from their original 1.5.2 state up to today's codebase.
[20:17] <sands> We'll see.
[20:17] <helix84> i made a mistake looking at the log
[20:17] <helix84> the next issue should have been DS-1223
[20:17] <sands> If anyone has any comments on the two items that were raised for internationalization, I'll appreciate any input.
[20:17] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1223 ] - [#DS-1223] Display frequencies of items in single browsing for selected indices - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:18] <bollini> about DS-1223 can anyone fast test it on oracle?
[20:18] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1223 ] - [#DS-1223] Display frequencies of items in single browsing for selected indices - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:19] <sands> not i, unfortunately.
[20:19] <helix84> me neither
[20:19] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:20] <bollini> Ok, if anyone (reading these notes) can, I will appreciate (please add comment to the JIRA issue) otherwise I will do it
[20:20] <hpottinger> I can test on oracle
[20:20] <sands> bollini: are you satisfied with the state of this request, outside of the oracle testing?
[20:20] <bollini> sands: I think yes (but I haven't yet checkout the code)
[20:21] <sands> ok, thanks
[20:21] <bollini> tomorrow I will add a comment to the jira issue with the result of my test on postgres
[20:21] <sands> Next up is: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1225
[20:21] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1225] Show display values for controlled vocabularies in Item Page - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1225
[20:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1225 ] - [#DS-1225] Show display values for controlled vocabularies in Item Page - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:22] <helix84> bollini: i just wanted to make one thing clear today - i think we're all assuming you'll review the EKT issues because you raised the most concerns (which means you reviewed them the most), so we probably expect you to take care of merging them. is that OK with you?
[20:23] <bollini> helix84: yes I will do the merge of all the EKT contribution that I have assigned to me (just one or two aren't)
[20:23] <helix84> bollini: grazie mille
[20:23] <bollini> you are welcome
[20:23] <sands> yes, thank you much for that. it is no small amount of work!
[20:24] <sands> so bollini, same question on this one. do you feel it's ready to be merged?
[20:25] <bollini> as for 1225, I think so need to test
[20:27] <helix84> next up are 1225, 1231 and 1217, we rely on bollini on them all
[20:27] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: leaving)
[20:27] <helix84> do you have any comments or can we move on, in the sake of time?
[20:27] <bollini> tomorrow I hope to close (mark) all the already fixed EKT issues
[20:28] <sands> excellent
[20:28] <helix84> ok, next one is PeterDietz's DS-1241
[20:28] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1241 ] - [#DS-1241] Statistics implementation in Elastic Search - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:28] <sands> PeterDietz how are we looking on this one?
[20:28] <PeterDietz> hi
[20:29] <helix84> there was some heavy discussion with mdiggory, how did that turn out?
[20:29] <PeterDietz> I haven't addressed the portion about themes with this feature
[20:30] * helix84 noting that #67 marked as requirement for this has been merged meanwhile
[20:30] <PeterDietz> Since people can use any theme with DSpace (as opposed to reference), I need to programatically pull in the JS/CSS needed for elastic stats.. Without pulling in a theme
[20:32] <PeterDietz> ok, great that #67 was resolved, that does require some changes here to get the searches filtered out fo the usage events
[20:32] <helix84> PeterDietz: I know we don't require feature-duality between JSPUI and XMLUI, therefor I assume we shouldn't require it among individual XMLUI themes, either
[20:32] <helix84> PeterDietz: I mean to say, I for one, think it's fine to support only one theme and maybe include other later
[20:32] <sands> Agreed there.
[20:33] <sands> Ok, looks like that one's on track. Next is DS-1243.
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1243 ] - [#DS-1243] @mire solr statistics contribution - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:33] * sands just noticed mdiggory isn't here.
[20:34] <helix84> kevin neither. that one seems good to go, judging from comments
[20:34] <hpottinger> wow, yeah, it *is* a small group of us here today
[20:34] <sands> ok, well the RT can keep an eye on that and make sure it's on track.
[20:34] <sands> DS-1130
[20:35] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1130 ] - [#DS-1130] Create controlled vocabulary support for the XMLUI. - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:35] <helix84> the next ones are all @mire's stuff
[20:35] <helix84> does anyone have any comments on them? i think they would love having some review
[20:35] * helix84 notes Lyncode contributed with some precious code review today
[20:37] <helix84> if noone has any comments on @mire contributions (they all passed the vote), possible next discussion topics are 1) bugs 2) link to switch DSpace language 3) mobile theme
[20:37] <helix84> feel free to comment on any of them
[20:38] <sands> on the link to switch language, i commented above. i will continue my look at it tomorrow and get in touch with the submitter.
[20:39] <sands> i won't have time to do the migration for them forward to the current codebase though, so we'll see if that's possible in short order.
[20:39] * helix84 notes that he has reviewed Jira for issues scheduled for 3.0 and reassigned new features and improvements (that didn't make the Freeze) for 4.0. The rest were bugs which he added to the 3.0 Tasks page.
[20:40] <sands> I am personally for including the mobile theme at this point. tdonohue agreed earlier today that slapping "Beta" on it might be a good idea.
[20:40] <sands> Also a great target for the Test-A-Thon.
[20:40] <helix84> hpottinger: any objections to including the mobile theme?
[20:41] <hpottinger> re mobile theme, there are many good themes out there... wondering why we *need* to include this one out of the box?
[20:41] <helix84> hpottinger: sorry, I don't know any other theme optimized for mobile devices. can you elaborate?
[20:42] <hpottinger> Sorry, not optimized for mobile, just wondering if there is a criteria for including a theme in the default: being asked by the developer?
[20:42] <sands> hpottinger: not sure we have any better criteria atm
[20:43] <helix84> hpottinger: my suggestion was to include it, but i explicitly said NOT as default
[20:43] <hpottinger> I don't have any objections to including it, BTW, just wondering if we need to review other possible themes to include, if we're expanding our offerings
[20:43] <sands> i believe he was saying "the default set distributed", yes?
[20:43] <helix84> sands: i see
[20:44] <helix84> the reason why we should include a mobile theme is that many people expressed interest in it
[20:44] <hpottinger> OSU (PeterDietz) has a fair number of them, including one with embedded viewer support
[20:44] <mhwood> Probably (later) we should move some themes *out* to add-on status.
[20:45] <PeterDietz> I remember that the atmire mirage theme came in without much objection. It did have a very nice framework imprement in it
[20:45] <PeterDietz> s/imprement/improvement
[20:45] <kompewter> PeterDietz meant to say: I remember that the atmire mirage theme came in without much objection. It did have a very nice framework improvement in it
[20:45] <helix84> hpottinger: so what is your criteria for inclusion?
[20:45] * lyncode (~DSpace@ has joined #duraspace
[20:46] <helix84> (of a theme)
[20:46] <hpottinger> to be clear, I have no objections to including the mobile theme... I would like to see our offering of sample themes expand somehow
[20:47] <hpottinger> helix84: I don't have one to articulate, just wondering if we have one :-)
[20:47] <helix84> hpottinger: i formulated my pros and cons in the email
[20:47] <helix84> so it seems the consensus is we go ahead with this one (if anyone finds the time)
[20:48] * helix84 noting that the code was released about 2 hours ago :)
[20:48] <sands> sounds like it.
[20:48] <sands> *beta*
[20:48] <helix84> sands: definitely
[20:48] <hpottinger> Ideally I'd like to see themes get their own "garden" outside of Master
[20:48] <helix84> one more thing I wanted to talk about to mhwood
[20:49] <mhwood> Yes?
[20:49] <helix84> how's the build fix going? I asked in the Bamboo thread
[20:50] <mhwood> dspace-services patches will need a release of dspace-services before Maven will pull them into a DSpace build.
[20:50] <helix84> mhwood: and who can do that? (please excuse my ignorance in all things Maven)
[20:51] <mhwood> Good question.
[20:51] <helix84> mhwood: but I noticed you haven't merged them yet
[20:51] <mhwood> I haven't been tracking the general health of dspace-services Head, so I don't know how close it is to release-able.
[20:51] <mhwood> I can go ahead and pull #5 if there are no objections.
[20:52] <bollini> sorry, need to go. bye keep in touch via email
[20:52] <helix84> i personally don't know near enough to review it. but if it fixes the problem...
[20:53] * bollini (~chatzilla@host108-61-dynamic.7-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) Quit (Quit: ChatZilla [Firefox 15.0.1/20120905151427])
[20:54] <helix84> lyncode: can you help out with review? we're talking about dspace-servicess pull requests #5 and I think #4
[20:55] * sands apologizes. urgent family call.
[20:56] <helix84> mhwood: question. is it possible to check out the latest released code of dspace-services, slap your patches on top of it and release it, so that we would get just the bug fixes?
[20:56] <lyncode> hi all
[20:57] <helix84> hi lyncode. please, see my question to you 3 lines above :)
[20:58] <lyncode> I think it's ok, +1
[20:58] <mhwood> One should be able to get git to write a diff that could be patched in, yes. There's probably a smoother way to get git to do it but I am rather new to git....
[20:58] <helix84> mhwood: GitHub has a link that give you the diff
[21:00] <lyncode> #4 (if tested +1)
[21:00] * helix84 can't find it in a hurry but i'll get back to you
[21:00] <mhwood> I don't know that my patches depend on any unreleased changes in -services. But I don't know that they don't.
[21:00] <helix84> mhwood: ok, it was just a question
[21:00] <mhwood> I think I've used those links before.
[21:00] <PeterDietz> you append .diff to most url's.. https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-services/pull/5.diff
[21:01] * sands is back.
[21:01] <helix84> sands: do you know who has the right to upload to maven central?
[21:01] <mhwood> Specifically dspace-services
[21:02] <sands> i believe i and one other on the RT were granted these rights earlier in the month actually.
[21:02] * helix84 observes that the meeting is officially over, so feel free to leave, but we can continue the discussion
[21:02] <sands> for the deploy.
[21:02] <helix84> sands: care to take the risk?
[21:02] <sands> :)
[21:03] <mhwood> I'd like to hear from mdiggory about whether -services is generally ready for a release, and if other stuff should go in first.
[21:03] <sands> sure it will be a learning experience.
[21:04] * hpottinger claps sands on the back, Thanks man.
[21:04] <mhwood> I note that everything since 2.0 is listed in Jira as "unreleased version".
[21:04] <helix84> i'd like to repeat we declared that broken builds are a matter of urgency, so it's either release the fix or back out the offending commit (pull #40)
[21:05] <lyncode> Mark, i think it would be good to have #5 with general circular dependency detection :)
[21:05] <helix84> mhwood: talk to Tim about that, he has the Jira right, I'm sure it's just an oversight
[21:06] <mhwood> lyncode: I'm not sure how to create a more general circularity that requires more history than "it didn't change anything".
[21:06] <helix84> lyncode: BTW thank you for all today's reviews, much appreciated
[21:07] <lyncode> Currently ConfigurationManager uses a threshold to avoid circular dependencies
[21:08] <helix84> lyncode: some bug fixes haven't received near enough love, either, so if you want to review them, it would be wonderful. the list is at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+3.0+Tasks
[21:08] <kompewter> [ DSpace 3.0 Tasks - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+3.0+Tasks
[21:08] <mhwood> Yup, I thought about that too.
[21:09] <mhwood> Is there a way to create a cycle that is not detectable in one step?
[21:09] <lyncode> A = B, B = C, C = A
[21:10] <lyncode> helix84 i can easily became that boring guy that anyone likes
[21:10] <helix84> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_detection
[21:10] <kompewter> [ Cycle detection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_detection
[21:10] <mhwood> B = C becomes B = A. B = A becomes B = B. B = B triggers the post-test: nothing changes.
[21:10] <helix84> lyncode: please, do! :)
[21:11] <lyncode> no one*
[21:11] <helix84> lyncode: just kidding. but seriously, we have the code, but we need the review.
[21:11] <mhwood> Every case I thought of boils down to that.
[21:11] <lyncode> hmm
[21:12] <lyncode> maybe multiple variables? Is that possible?
[21:12] <lyncode> A = B/A
[21:13] <mhwood> Using a stack detects the cycle in fewer iterations but costs more as the stack deepens. I went with simple rather than fewer-iterations.
[21:13] <mhwood> a = b/a becomes a = b/a. No change.
[21:14] <mhwood> If someone can show a case that isn't caught by "didn't change" in a reasonable amount of time, I can use a different approach (such as the stack). I couldn't so I didn't.
[21:15] <mhwood> Note that we bear the cost of detection once for each case: ConfigurationService does the substitutions during initialization.
[21:15] <lyncode> Yes, you're right
[21:15] <sands> have to run guys. thanks for all the great review!
[21:15] * sands (~sandsfish@ Quit (Quit: sands)
[21:15] <mhwood> Thanks sands.
[21:16] * hpottinger notes we're 15 minutes over...
[21:18] <mhwood> Unless there's more discussion of DSRV#4 or DSRV#5, I need to go as well.
[21:20] <mhwood> Must go. Email me at need. Thanks, all!
[21:20] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:23] <helix84> me too. i'll check the logs. bye everyone, it was a great meeting!
[21:23] * nhoussos (53e8a5d1@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[21:24] * helix84 (a@ Quit (Quit: helix84)
[21:24] <hpottinger> I've gotta go, too. Bye!
[21:24] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:36] * nhoussos (53e8a5d1@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:46] * kstamatis (4f6bbf9b@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[21:50] * eddies (~eddies@c-98-206-13-6.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[21:50] * eddies (~eddies@c-98-206-13-6.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Changing host)
[21:50] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.