#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2012-09-19

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:53] -lindbohm.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:53] -lindbohm.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:53] -lindbohm.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:53] -lindbohm.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:54] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:54] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:54] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[9:03] * kshepherd (kim@ec2-184-73-177-234.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[9:04] * kshepher1 (kim@ec2-184-73-177-234.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[11:21] * eddies (~eddies@c-98-206-13-6.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[11:21] * eddies (~eddies@c-98-206-13-6.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Changing host)
[11:21] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[12:15] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:46] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (*.net *.split)
[13:00] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:01] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:26] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[16:26] * ruebot (~ruebot@LB-SC-S1B4DB.library.yorku.ca) Quit (Ping timeout: 268 seconds)
[16:50] * ruebot (~ruebot@LB-SC-S1B4DB.library.yorku.ca) has joined #duraspace
[19:03] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[19:50] <tdonohue> Hi all, just a reminder we have a DSpace Devel mtg coming up in ~10mins here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-09-19
[19:50] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2012-09-19 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-09-19
[19:52] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:54] * kstamatis (25067e1d@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all..it's that time again. DSpace Developers Mtg is starting now: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-09-19
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2012-09-19 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-09-19
[20:01] * nhoussos (5548ce9a@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Today's agenda is really all about 3.0 schedule updates. I'm admittedly a bit hazy on where we stand now, and whether we need to tweak the schedule further.
[20:02] <tdonohue> Anyone from the Release Team care to update us all / kick off the discussion on 3.0 next steps?
[20:03] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:03] <robint> Erm I confess I'm a bit hazy myself
[20:03] <tdonohue> Ok. Well, here's the current 3.0 Task list: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+3.0+Tasks
[20:03] <kompewter> [ DSpace 3.0 Tasks - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+3.0+Tasks
[20:03] <mdiggory> Hello everyone... I may be a little slow in responding due to using iPad
[20:04] <tdonohue> On that list, it looks like most of the features/improvements have been already merged.
[20:04] <tdonohue> Though, I know there are a few outstanding things...one being the Maven Project Consolidation work (which was specifically scheduled for "post-freeze")....hi mdiggory good timing!
[20:05] <mdiggory> The versioning and workflow contributions @mire is working on will need to be caught up to master before they can be merged
[20:05] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- how long will that take? I think we're already "post-freeze" officially, which means you need an exception from the Release Team
[20:05] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) Quit (Client Quit)
[20:05] <hpottinger> I will just blurt out here that things appear to be moving along quite well.
[20:05] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:06] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- how long will that (versioning & workflow) take? I think we're already "post-freeze" officially, which means you need an exception from the Release Team
[20:06] <tdonohue> (that is, if you haven't already gotten one)
[20:06] <hpottinger> I'm pretty sure that can be worked out
[20:07] <mdiggory> we already voted these contributions in, i don't understand how we can vote something to officially added to 3.0, and then limit including those we agreed to because the commit deluge made merging them more difficult.
[20:08] <mdiggory> the policy/approach to the second freeze is a bit wonky...
[20:08] <mhwood> Yes, I recall they were voted in, we should get them in if delay is not *too* great.
[20:08] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- yes we voted them in. But, we still have deadlines obviously :) So, we cannot postpone indefinitely
[20:09] <mdiggory> ok.... I'm not going to stoke the fire here...
[20:09] <hpottinger> I think what tdonohue is after is a commitment to a timeframe, yes?
[20:09] <tdonohue> I'll note that currently the 3.0 Schedule still says Testathon is *next week*. Obviously, that's not happening, but we should try and determine when exactly Testathon will be, so we can advertise it: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.0+Notes#DSpaceRelease3.0Notes-TimelineandProcessing
[20:09] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 3.0 Notes - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.0+Notes#DSpaceRelease3.0Notes-TimelineandProcessing
[20:09] <mhwood> [I should mention that I very much want some of the stuff in versioning for something I'm working on, so perhaps not completely objective.]
[20:09] <tdonohue> yes...I'm just looking for a timeframe for when we can expect the last tasks to get done, so we can sschedule testathon
[20:11] <mdiggory> I think we need to understand that freeze should mean that we are not accepting any new features that were not already voted on. Are we seeing a number of new features slipping through this at this time?
[20:11] <tdonohue> (I'd also love to see versioning & workflow stuff get in..but we just need to work to get them in soon, so we aren't delaying Testathon & 3.0 for too long)
[20:11] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- that's what the freeze means. We are not adding new features at this time.
[20:11] <mdiggory> TBH... if these "features" are getting commited before the ones that were officially voted on... these are the ones that are stalling the final official features getting in.
[20:11] <mhwood> If there's something with which I could help out on versioning without creating a Regenerative Scheduling Disaster, I could lend a hand.
[20:12] <mdiggory> because every commit generally forces us to go back and rebase just to get back to the point we can merge the pull request
[20:13] <tdonohue> mdiggory -- I'm assuming it could just be the case that folks *thought* there's nothing else big to be committed, so they started adding more small stuff. Obviously it's complicated things. But, the end question is, what time is needed?
[20:13] <mhwood> I'm going to rework the DS-1182 patch to put off EmailService for 4.0 but hope to have an acceptable bugfix-only version soon.
[20:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1182 ] - [#DS-1182] Javamail: Getting Session object with getDefaultInstace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <mdiggory> That table in the wiki seems very long, itd be better if we move the stuff not commited up into a separate table....
[20:14] <hpottinger> maybe next year we prioritize the merge schedule, and try to get the big commits in first?
[20:14] <mhwood> hpottinger++
[20:14] <robint> We could/should delay any bug fixes to allow the remaining new features to be committed
[20:15] <robint> hpottinger: way ahead of me
[20:15] <hpottinger> robint++
[20:15] <mhwood> robint: yes, will just get my work ready.
[20:16] * tdonohue notes it would be good for everyone (release team especially) to start to think about how we can improve things in the future. Obviously this is our first time doing the Release Team & GitHub-based release...so, I'm sure there's tons we can tweak in future.
[20:16] <mdiggory> What are the list of remaining pull requests that were voted in
[20:16] <robint> noted
[20:19] <tdonohue> looking down the page of tasks...looks like the "outstanding pulls" include...
[20:19] <robint> Other than the @Mire stuff I think possibly just Elastic Search stuff and the batch import stuff from the EKT guys (hi Kostas!)
[20:19] <tdonohue> Maven Project Consolidation (post-freeze): https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/5
[20:19] <kompewter> [ [IN-PROCESS] [DS-1144] Maven Project Consolidation by mdiggory · Pull Request #5 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/5
[20:19] <mdiggory> anyhow, My intention today is to see what I can clear immediately and schedule out anything that will require additional effort to rebase.
[20:19] <kstamatis> robint: hi
[20:20] <mdiggory> I recommend we focus on MPC last
[20:21] <kstamatis> robint: I will try to see tomorrow any new comments reagrding https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/46 add update the code
[20:21] <kompewter> [ [DS-1226] Batch import from major bibliographic formats by EKT · Pull Request #46 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/46
[20:21] <kstamatis> hope it can be included in 3.0
[20:22] <robint> Thanks for all your hard work kstamatis
[20:22] <mdiggory> I am happy to see the servicemanager support. I'm still seeing use of package names that are not org.dspace
[20:22] <hpottinger> indeed, pull #63 needs merging, it is approved
[20:23] <tdonohue> what's the best way to go through this list of outstanding stuff?
[20:23] <kstamatis> robint: you are welcome, just trying to conform our work to your needs - first time contributors here :)
[20:24] <mdiggory> just for clarification on #46 I am happy with it, I would like to see the package naming and some of the recommendations I made for how to use a service addressed, but after the package naming is address, you can consider my -1 vote reversed
[20:25] <robint> thanks mdiggory
[20:25] <mdiggory> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/63
[20:25] <kompewter> [ DS-1241 Statistics implementation in Elastic Search by peterdietz · Pull Request #63 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/63
[20:25] <kstamatis> mdiggory: I will see the issues first thing in the morning and I will commit, thanks a lot
[20:25] <mdiggory> 63 can be automatically merged
[20:25] <mdiggory> likewise
[20:25] <mdiggory> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/71
[20:25] <kompewter> [ [DS-1130] Controlled vocabulary support for the XMLUI by KevinVdV · Pull Request #71 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/71
[20:26] <mdiggory> 71 can be automatically merged
[20:26] <mdiggory> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/75
[20:26] <kompewter> [ [DS-1249] Configurable Workflow Improvements by mdiggory · Pull Request #75 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/75
[20:26] <mdiggory> 71 can be automatically merged
[20:26] <mdiggory> sorry... I meant 75 can be automatically merged
[20:27] <mdiggory> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/72
[20:27] <kompewter> [ [DS-1194] Atmire dspace 3.0 versioning contribution by KevinVdV · Pull Request #72 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/72
[20:27] <mdiggory> 72 cannot be automatically merged and needs to have conflicts resolved
[20:27] <mdiggory> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/69
[20:27] <kompewter> [ [DS-1243] @mire solr statistics contribution by KevinVdV · Pull Request #69 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/69
[20:28] <mdiggory> 69 cannot be automatically merged
[20:28] <hpottinger> "automatically merged" = no conflicts, any committer can push the button?
[20:28] <mdiggory> and needs to have conflicts resolved
[20:28] <mdiggory> correct
[20:28] <mdiggory> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/58
[20:28] <kompewter> [ [DS-1240] Sword V2 doesn't support the configurable workflow by KevinVdV · Pull Request #58 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/58
[20:28] <mdiggory> 58 can be automatically merged
[20:28] * hpottinger can push buttons just fine...
[20:29] <mdiggory> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/34
[20:29] <kompewter> [ [DS-1061] Filenames and BitstreamFormat detection break on filenames with equal signs in them by KevinVdV · Pull Request #34 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/34
[20:29] <mdiggory> 34 can be automatically merged
[20:29] <robint> Push hpottinger ! (I feel like a midwife)
[20:30] * tdonohue wonders outloud whether automatically merging some will cause more conflicts to emerge (just something to be aware of)...hopefully not too many more though
[20:30] <mdiggory> outside of the Maven Consolidation... these are the remaining PR that my group invested work into
[20:30] <mhwood> Do the largest ones first?
[20:30] <mdiggory> tdonohue: you are correct....
[20:31] <tdonohue> So, do we need to schedule or assign these to specific folks?
[20:31] <tdonohue> just want to try and find a way to get this done relatively soon, etc.
[20:32] <mdiggory> I'm ok with trying 75, 71 58 and 34 now to see if theres any further problems after these
[20:32] <mdiggory> then I will be available to debug issues if theres breakage
[20:32] <hpottinger> OK, from mdiggory's list: 63, 71, 75, 58, 34 are OK to go
[20:32] <mdiggory> I will probibly need more time for 72 and 69
[20:33] <hpottinger> and, conversely, 72 and 69 need more care
[20:33] <tdonohue> mdiggory: any "guesstimate" on how much time 72 & 69 may take? are we talking days? week? multiple weeks?
[20:34] <tdonohue> (just trying to plot out when we think "maven consolidation" can also start -- and then when we think it'd be reasonable to do RC1 & Testathon)
[20:34] <mdiggory> since 69 cannot be merged at them moment, I suggest we do attempt 63 now and just add any conflict that would arise from it into the work that will already need to happen on 69
[20:34] <mdiggory> sorry. I assume any outsider is currently completely lost...
[20:35] <mdiggory> tdonohue: days
[20:35] <hpottinger> I'm ready to go all crazy with "merging" this afternoon
[20:35] * tdonohue notes that many of these major features do not seem to have much in the way of docs yet. We need docs in order to test them in Testathon. (Looking specifically at PeterDietz & ElasticSearch plus various @mire things, esp. versioning)
[20:35] <mdiggory> hpottinger: pull the trigger on 63...
[20:36] <mdiggory> we have a draft ready to go into DOCS
[20:36] <hpottinger> "push the button, max!"
[20:36] <PeterDietz> I'll docify elastic search
[20:36] <mhwood> MAX...!
[20:36] <tdonohue> sorry to be a stickler on the "docs" -- just trying to remind everyone that it's important to have soon! Best place to put your docs is right into the 3.x area: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/DSpace+3.x+Documentation
[20:36] <kompewter> [ DSpace 3.x Documentation - DSpace 3.x Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/DSpace+3.x+Documentation
[20:37] <hpottinger> oh, look, GitHub even eggs you on when it's an automatic merge... cool
[20:38] <robint> tdonohue: I'll do some chasing up on docs
[20:38] <tdonohue> Ok, so it sounds like we have many pulls about to be merged....@mire/mdiggory needs a few more days for #72 & #69. Does that mean it could be reasonable to *start* Maven Consolidation work early next week (Mon or Tues)?
[20:39] <tdonohue> Or is next Weds/Thurs more reasonable as a start time for Maven Consolidation work?
[20:39] <mdiggory> beginning of the week....
[20:40] <tdonohue> ok. mdiggory, are you still planning/willing to take the lead on Maven Consolidation work? Just want to verify you are still willing & have time
[20:40] <mdiggory> yes I am
[20:40] <tdonohue> Cool, thanks a ton, mdiggory
[20:40] <mdiggory> did Max push the button yet?
[20:41] <robint> I'll start a conversation within the RT about actually doing the release for RC1
[20:41] <tdonohue> Ok..that all being said, it sounds like our schedule is mapping out to be the following:
[20:41] <tdonohue> Today/Tomorrow -- merge stuff that can be merged automatically (hope nothing big breaks)
[20:41] <tdonohue> Tomorrow/Fri/Mon -- @mire will clean up #69 & #72 and merge
[20:42] <tdonohue> Early next week (Mon/Tues/Weds) -- mdiggory will do Maven Consolidation (I'll be in IRC if you need help, Mark)
[20:42] <hpottinger> 63-button pressed
[20:42] <tdonohue> Hopefully by next Fri (Sept 28) we could be stable enough to potentially release RC1.
[20:43] <mhwood> 71 checked and is still auto.
[20:43] <mdiggory> tdonohue: I've got KevinVdV back from his Honeymoon next Monday... so maybe shift it one day
[20:44] <mdiggory> but there can be some overlap
[20:44] <tdonohue> yep. makes sense, mdiggory. These are "loose" timelines
[20:44] <hpottinger> if anyone is interested, here's my list of buttons in order: 75, 71, 58, 34
[20:45] <mdiggory> ok, 75 is still good... MAX, push the button!
[20:45] <mdiggory> 71 still good too...
[20:45] <mdiggory> as is 58
[20:45] <mdiggory> and 34
[20:45] <tdonohue> I think the final question is "When is Testathon?" It sounds like if we rush things (and nothing goes wrong), we *might* be ready for Testathon starting Mon, Oct 1 (assuming RC1 can be released next Fri, Sept 28). But, I'm wondering if we need more of a buffer? Should Testathon start Mon, Oct 8? Or mid-week the week of Oct 1?
[20:46] <hpottinger> 75-button pressed
[20:47] <PeterDietz> max is pressing buttons on #75.. it live updates the page as your looking at it.. wether others comment, or if commits come in
[20:47] <robint> tdonohue: how much in advance do you think we need to tell people ?
[20:47] <mdiggory> Max what did you do?
[20:47] <mdiggory> I've got a pink Unicorn with a rainbow for hair in my browser window...
[20:48] <tdonohue> robint -- for Testathon, I'd recommend we try to advertise it at least a week or two in advance. Likely not more than two weeks is necessary. That's why I'm trying to nail down dates ;)
[20:48] <robint> Could we schedule for 1Oct but delaying telling people for a few days to see how commits go ?
[20:48] <mhwood> Well, that's me, but I'm only watching....
[20:48] <hpottinger> 71-button pressed
[20:48] <PeterDietz> Isn't that whats supposed to happen when max presses the button? (something to go wrong)
[20:48] <tdonohue> robint -- we could do that. Tentatively schedule Testathon for Oct 1, and then the Release Team can make final decision Tomorrow/Fri (based on merges) as to whether to push it back.
[20:49] <hpottinger> you guys are cracking me up, don't want me LOLing when I'm pressing these buttons, do you? ;-)
[20:49] <robint> tdonohue: Oct 1 keeps the pressure on, no bad thing :)
[20:49] <tdonohue> +1 -- feel the pressure everyone ;)
[20:50] <hpottinger> two left: 58 and 34
[20:50] * mdiggory has seen too many unicorns with rainbow hair now that his daughter started watching my little pony cartoons every time she gets the tv remote...
[20:50] <tdonohue> Ok, then Testathon is tentative for Oct1. RC1 is tentative for Fri, Sept 28 (next friday). If anything starts to go wrong or schedules need to change, let the Release Team know!
[20:50] <mdiggory> who will cut RC1?
[20:51] <robint> mdiggory: to be discussed
[20:51] <tdonohue> I'm assuming Release Team will cut RC1, or assign it to someone if they are willing
[20:51] <mhwood> http://unicornify.appspot.com/
[20:51] <kompewter> [ Unicornify! ] - http://unicornify.appspot.com/
[20:51] <robint> I'll raise it with Sands on dspace-release
[20:51] <tdonohue> I'm also assuming Release Team will announce Testathon, or assign it to someone if they are willing/volunteer (FYI -- I can pass along old announcements if you cannot locate them from 1.8/1.7 testathons)
[20:51] * mdiggory imagines RT sitting around a handfull of straws, trying not to choose the short one.
[20:52] <robint> ... take one step back...
[20:52] <tdonohue> virtual straws!
[20:53] <hpottinger> phew, man, this merging stuff is nerve-wracking
[20:53] <mdiggory> hpottinger: did you break a nail?
[20:54] <tdonohue> hpottinger is doing the hard work while we all talk about virtual straws and unicorns
[20:54] <hpottinger> "hard work"
[20:54] <tdonohue> s/hard work/"hard work"/
[20:54] <kompewter> tdonohue meant to say: hpottinger is doing the "hard work" while we all talk about virtual straws and unicorns
[20:55] <tdonohue> Ok. Anything else to tackle today around 3.0? It sounds like the schedule is shaping up, and we have a plan!
[20:55] <hpottinger> OK, unless we want to really get crazy, I think that's all the "auto merges" on the table
[20:55] <mdiggory> kompewter is cool.
[20:55] <mdiggory> 58 and 34?
[20:56] <hpottinger> oh, I forgot: 58 and 34: buttons pressed (I think)
[20:56] <tdonohue> and 3.0 is shaping up to be a massive release! Kudos to everyone (contributors, committers, RT) for that!
[20:56] <mhwood> "We can Melt, we can Blast, we can Rise Above...."
[20:56] * hpottinger looks around nervously
[20:57] <mdiggory> Thanks for all the hard work hpottinger!
[20:57] <tdonohue> wow..those automerges all worked! No cross-conflicts...that's awesome
[20:57] * hpottinger flexes.
[20:57] <mdiggory> we'll see... now for the Bamboo build ;-)
[20:57] <tdonohue> Thanks for all the "hard work" "hpottinger"!
[20:57] <PeterDietz> So, do we want to assign the remainders a status of post-3.0 milestone, (except for the approved but not auto)
[20:57] * hpottinger kicks the ground, aw shucks.
[20:58] <mdiggory> I'm not sure... what do we have left that should go into 3.0?
[20:58] * lyncode (~Lyncode@ has joined #duraspace
[20:58] <mdiggory> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/53
[20:58] <kompewter> [ [DS-1224] Export items in various bibliographic formats by EKT · Pull Request #53 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/53
[20:58] <tdonohue> We have a "4.0" milestone (in JIRA that is) already...so, anything that missed 3.0 could be scheduled in JIRA for 4.0
[20:58] <robint> Need to review the bug fixes
[20:59] <tdonohue> Bug fixes obviously can still get in...but, we may want to merge in the last features first
[20:59] <robint> yep
[20:59] <mdiggory> This can be merged.... https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/81
[20:59] <kompewter> [ [DS-1023] Patch to allow linebreaks in <textarea> boxes by nesovi · Pull Request #81 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/81
[21:00] <tdonohue> Somebody made Bamboo cry (cause of a missing license header): https://bamboo.duraspace.org/browse/DST-TRUNK-98
[21:00] <kompewter> [ DSpace - Master Test 98: Build Result Summary - DuraSpace Bamboo ] - https://bamboo.duraspace.org/browse/DST-TRUNK-98
[21:00] <mdiggory> hpottinger!!!!!!!
[21:00] * hpottinger pouts.
[21:01] <PeterDietz> crap!! It was me
[21:01] <tdonohue> Yep..ElasticSearch made Bamboo cry
[21:01] <mdiggory> hehe...
[21:01] <PeterDietz> a javascript and a css file...
[21:01] <mhwood> This is why I put <maven.test.skip>false</maven.test.skip> in ~/.m2/settings.xml
[21:01] <PeterDietz> I did check my Java files
[21:02] <PeterDietz> Should I commit directly to master with the fix, or make a PR?
[21:02] <mdiggory> this is not too bad...
[21:02] <tdonohue> PeterDietz --if either of those is not actually "owned" by DSpace/DuraSpace, then we can add in an exception (to not check the header). Otherwise, they need the proper header obviously
[21:03] <tdonohue> You can commit directly to master for something this small (IMHO). It's just a few headers. Though, I'd recommend determining that those are the *only* ones missing before doing the commit...otherwise Bamboo may just throw later failures
[21:03] <robint> Got to run, cheers all
[21:03] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:04] * hpottinger thinks GitHub needs a bit of work, if it missed the license headers...
[21:04] <mdiggory> You could even do it in the web browser if your really lazy
[21:04] * ruebot (~ruebot@LB-SC-S1B4DB.library.yorku.ca) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[21:04] * tdonohue notes that we don't have anything else on the agenda today. So, if you need to head out feel free obviously... Or stick around and continue our discussions of Bamboo & unicorns
[21:05] <mhwood> GitHub doesn't run CI tests; it just checks for text change collisions between commits.
[21:06] <tdonohue> +1 mhwood. The license check only happens when Bamboo runs "mvn clean package license:check -Dmaven.test.skip=false"
[21:06] <tdonohue> You too can verify licenses on your own machine just by running "mvn license:check"
[21:07] <tdonohue> s/licenses/license headers/
[21:07] <kompewter> tdonohue meant to say: You too can verify license headers on your own machine just by running "mvn license:check"
[21:07] <PeterDietz> We don't stamp our license on top of some jQuery UI (datepicker accessible library) files I believe
[21:08] <tdonohue> correct. You should *never* steal someone else's license. Instead, add an exclusion to the appropriate POM...in this case the dspace-xmlui-webapp POM...let me find it.
[21:08] <tdonohue> Right about here: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-xmlui/dspace-xmlui-webapp/pom.xml#L52
[21:08] <kompewter> [ DSpace/dspace-xmlui/dspace-xmlui-webapp/pom.xml at master · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-xmlui/dspace-xmlui-webapp/pom.xml#L52
[21:09] <tdonohue> Those are the files that are *excluded* from a license header check. it looks like any file starting with "jquery*" should already be excluded from a check
[21:10] * hpottinger makes a note to add license:check to all mvn command aliases
[21:11] * tdonohue also notes that running "mvn install" automatically kicks off "license:check" as well. It's just that a normal "mvn package" doesn't do the license header check...so you need to run "mvn package license:check"
[21:14] <PeterDietz> I've fixed the affect files, got a license:check pass locally, and committed it. Hopefully baboon will re-run itself, and we pass
[21:15] <tdonohue> yep, bamboo (not baboon ;) will see the commit & rerun shortly. It should pass since you got it to pass locally (bamboo isn't doing anything fancy...just running maven to do the same check automatically)
[21:16] <mhwood> Got to go, thanks all!
[21:16] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:18] <lyncode> is there any checklist to be used before merging?
[21:20] <tdonohue> There's a contribution checklist (semi-oldish & possibly slightly outdated) at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Code+Contribution+Guidelines#CodeContributionGuidelines-CodeContributionStandards
[21:20] <kompewter> [ Code Contribution Guidelines - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Code+Contribution+Guidelines#CodeContributionGuidelines-CodeContributionStandards
[21:20] <tdonohue> Is that what you mean, lyncode?
[21:21] <lyncode> this is very verbose checklist
[21:21] <hpottinger> Lyncode: today's round of committing was a shot from the hip, it is not quite what I would call "standard procedure"
[21:21] <lyncode> a checklist to ensure that bamboo doesn't cry
[21:22] <mdiggory> hpottinger: thats how we do things out here in the wild west
[21:22] <mdiggory> shoot first, ask questions later
[21:23] <hpottinger> mdiggory: make Bamboo cry?
[21:23] <mdiggory> yep... CI is meant to be broken.... and fixed.... and broken..... and fixed
[21:23] <PeterDietz> ideally, you should ensure mvn package is successful, that the tests pass, the license header passes (I didn't have that enabled)... I would add, I probably should have some docs too.
[21:23] <tdonohue> If you just want to ensure "Bamboo doesn't cry", then you can look at our Bamboo settings here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/ContinuousIntegration
[21:23] <kompewter> [ ContinuousIntegration - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/ContinuousIntegration
[21:24] <tdonohue> (Note specifically the exact Maven Command that Bamboo will run -- if you can run this command locally, then your code should "pass" Bamboo's inspection)
[21:24] <hpottinger> "I probably should have some docs too." words to live by...
[21:25] <lyncode> nice, one comand to rule them all
[21:26] <PeterDietz> build #100 is successful
[21:27] <PeterDietz> go Peter Dietz ;)
[21:27] <mdiggory> #100?! really, thats it?
[21:27] <PeterDietz> There must have been a reset
[21:28] <tdonohue> #100 is only since we became "DuraSpace" I believe. and even then, I think DSpace used to use a Bamboo @ Johns Hopkins for a while (IIRC)
[21:28] <tdonohue> so, it's not only the 100th time we've ever had CI happen
[21:29] * hpottinger high fives PeterDietz.
[21:29] <tdonohue> thanks PeterDietz for your quick fix!
[21:30] <PeterDietz> np, I'm even quicker at breaking thing..
[21:30] <hpottinger> not one of us will ask you to prove that :-)
[21:30] <PeterDietz> I'm gonna head out, good work today, especially max
[21:30] <tdonohue> don't even think about it or I'll send Baboon after you
[21:31] <tdonohue> s/Baboon/Bamboo/ (obviously)
[21:31] <kompewter> tdonohue meant to say: don't even think about it or I'll send Bamboo after you
[21:31] * hpottinger takes a bow.
[21:31] <tdonohue> have a good one all...I'm gonna move into "lurking" as well
[21:32] <mdiggory> thanks hpottinger and PeterDietz
[21:32] <PeterDietz> I'll pack some slippery banana peels to dodge them
[21:32] * mdiggory returns to reviewing merge conflicts....
[21:33] <hpottinger> suggested soundtrack for today's dev meeting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4rAUt1jNZY
[21:33] <kompewter> [ Push the Button Max! - YouTube ] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4rAUt1jNZY
[21:35] * nhoussos (5548ce9a@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[21:40] <mdiggory> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Igz5SfBCE
[21:40] <kompewter> [ The Great Race - Push the Button Max - YouTube ] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Igz5SfBCE
[21:43] * kstamatis (25067e1d@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:51] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[21:54] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ Quit (Quit: Later, taterz!)
[22:46] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-114.west.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[23:07] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip-64-134-233-135.public.wayport.net) has joined #duraspace
[23:39] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@ip-64-134-233-135.public.wayport.net) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.