#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2012-10-24

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[1:02] * neanlos (~neanlos@ has joined #duraspace
[4:05] * neanlos (~neanlos@ Quit (Ping timeout: 255 seconds)
[6:03] * neanlos (~neanlos@ has joined #duraspace
[6:33] -calvino.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:33] -calvino.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:33] -calvino.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:33] -calvino.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:33] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:33] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:33] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[12:05] * Asger (~abr@nat.statsbiblioteket.dk) has joined #duraspace
[12:17] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:48] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:08] * bram-atmire (~bram@ has joined #duraspace
[13:19] * bram-atmire (~bram@ Quit (Quit: bram-atmire)
[13:20] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[13:21] * Asger (~abr@nat.statsbiblioteket.dk) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[14:39] * Asger (~abr@nat.statsbiblioteket.dk) has joined #duraspace
[14:42] * neanlos (~neanlos@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[15:09] * Asger (~abr@nat.statsbiblioteket.dk) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[16:42] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has left #duraspace
[19:07] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has joined #duraspace
[19:29] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C154B1.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:29] <KevinVdV> Hi everybody
[19:29] <tdonohue> Hi KevinVdV
[19:31] <KevinVdV> Hi Tim, as you might recall I sent an email about the controlled voc issue on the demo (authority control & controlled vocabulary are both enabled for dc.subject at the moment)
[19:32] <KevinVdV> & you mentioned putting something about this in the documentation, how do you recommend making it clear ? Putting a warning label in the input forms controlled voc docs that says if you have authority controlled enabled on this field that it will override the setting ?
[19:41] <tdonohue> KevinVdV...sorry, having multiple discussions at once. I think that sort of warning is exactly right. I just want it mentioned somewhere in the code what you shouldn't do in regards to enabling both controlled vocab and authority control.
[19:41] <tdonohue> I mean it should be mentioned somewhere in the *docs* (not the code)
[19:43] <KevinVdV> Allright I will take it care of it somewhere this week. Would you mind if I disabled your change with the authority control, so people can test the controlled vocs ?
[19:43] <tdonohue> go right ahead. It was my mistake.
[19:43] <KevinVdV> Wasn't really a mistake ;-)
[19:44] <tdonohue> well..it was something I didn't know would cause problems :) Which is also why I wanted it noted in the docs. Otherwise, I worry I'm gonna forget myself
[19:47] <KevinVdV> I also had another small question for those paying attention which kinda got sidetracked in my email. Quickly added my comment to the Jira so feel free to respond: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1284
[19:47] <kompewter> [ [#DS-1284] Facet name (research field subject) too long for discovery box - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1284
[19:47] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1284 ] - [#DS-1284] Facet name (research field subject) too long for discovery box - DuraSpace JIRA
[19:51] <tdonohue> REMINDER: We have a DSpace Developer Mtg here in ~10mins. Agenda today will be 3.0 status & upcoming schedule.
[19:53] <tdonohue> KevinVdV -- I guess I don't fully understand the options with Ds-1284 to be honest. If it's a misconfiguration, then it sounds like it should just be resolved by clear documentation (if needed) or marked "not a bug", and we should fix the misconfiguration on the demo server
[19:54] <tdonohue> I guess I don't understand what the "misconfiguration" is... (i.e. what part of what config file is misconfigured?)
[19:54] <KevinVdV> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Discovery#Discovery-Hierarchical(taxonomiesbased)sidebarfacets
[19:54] <kompewter> [ Discovery - DSpace 3.x Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Discovery#Discovery-Hierarchical(taxonomiesbased)sidebarfacets
[19:54] * helix84 (a@ has joined #duraspace
[19:56] <tdonohue> KevinVdV -- so, that likely needs to be noted somewhere in the 1.8->3.0 upgrade perhaps? I wasn't aware of that new feature, so I didn't enable it on demo.dspace.org
[19:57] <tdonohue> (essentially, there's so many new features in 3.0, it's been difficult to keep track of them...so I'm not surprised there's misconfigurations on demo.dspace.org. But, that does mean we need to find a place to let users know about these new features)
[19:58] <tdonohue> I guess it's also an option to just add a note about it to the Preface area, where other new features are listed (instead of the upgrade docs): https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Preface
[19:58] <kompewter> [ Preface - DSpace 3.x Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Preface
[19:58] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all -- welcome. It's time for our DSpace Developers Mtg as usual. First off, sorry I didn't get around to sending out an agenda today... I've been rather busy & have also been trying to help fix some Maven Release issues we've had in recent days (which is why RC2 isn't yet released)
[20:01] <KevinVdV> s to be noted somewhere in the 1.8->3.0 upgrade perhaps? I wasn't aware of that new feature, so I didn't enable it on demo.dspace.org
[20:01] <KevinVdV> [21:57] <tdonohue> (essentially, there's so many new features in 3.0, it's been difficult to keep track of them...
[20:01] <KevinVdV> Sorry
[20:01] <helix84> good job, tim!
[20:01] <KevinVdV> Thx for the tips Tim & I will update the docs
[20:01] <tdonohue> But, the general agenda today is just to get updates/status on 3.0, and start to determine whether we need more time for 3.0 bug fixes in general
[20:02] <robint> tdonohue: sorry, I didn't get a chance to look at the binary release problem yet
[20:02] <tdonohue> (Sidenote -- we *think* that the Maven release issues are now solved, as of a moment ago... but, hpottinger is trying things out, possibly even as we speak)
[20:02] <robint> will definitely do so tomorrow
[20:02] <helix84> today I realized we didn't send the call for translations
[20:02] <hpottinger> I am indeed, tdonohue
[20:03] <hpottinger> you all are my net :-)
[20:03] <tdonohue> robint. Thanks. you are talking about DS-1343...should I just assign that to you?
[20:03] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1343 ] - [#DS-1343] Non-source zip package of DSpace 3.0-rc1 is broken/invalid - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:04] <robint> I'll assign it
[20:04] <tdonohue> helix84 -- I'd agree it might be good to send out such a call for translations, if you or the RT want to do so
[20:04] <tdonohue> thanks robint
[20:04] <helix84> i'll do it
[20:05] <tdonohue> Ok. So, looking at the 3.0 status in JIRA: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/10543 It looks like we still have quite a few issues outstanding (as we all know)
[20:05] <kompewter> [ DSpace: 3.0 - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS/fixforversion/10543
[20:06] <helix84> https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[20:06] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
[20:06] <helix84> this seems to be the correct link
[20:07] <tdonohue> yep, thanks, helix84. Though I will note that we've had some tickets come in in the last few days of Testathon that may not be marked as "Fix For: 3.0"
[20:07] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-118.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:07] <robint> KevinVdV: DS-1081 ?
[20:07] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1081 ] - [#DS-1081] Ensure that DSpace can run on java 7 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:08] <KevinVdV> Just need to alter the docs for that one
[20:08] <KevinVdV> Everything SHOULD be in order now
[20:08] <robint> Sorry, I meant, cant we close DS 1081
[20:08] <robint> Good stuff
[20:08] <robint> s/cant/can/
[20:08] <kompewter> robint meant to say: Sorry, I meant, can we close DS 1081
[20:08] <tdonohue> Yes...I suggest someone update docs & close Ds-1081
[20:09] <tdonohue> Shall we review some of the other unassigned 3.0 issues. Here's the "Unassigned" list: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC
[20:09] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC
[20:10] <tdonohue> that was meant to be a question :) I can go down this list one-by-one if we feel it'd be of use...see if we can find a volunteer or even determine if it needs to be fixed by 3.0 or not
[20:11] <mhwood> DS-864 is ongoing work, probably not release-specific.
[20:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-864 ] - [#DS-864] Fix/cleanup code to ensure it is well documented - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:11] <KevinVdV> *Will also attempt to update docs for DS 1081 sometime soon & close it down*
[20:12] <tdonohue> good catch mhwood -- that's very vague. I suggest we remove the "fix for 3.0" from Ds-864
[20:12] <robint> Re DS 1081 - Can we say we support OpenJDK as well as Oracle JDK ?
[20:13] <tdonohue> demo.dspace.org is running OpenJDK 7. So far, so good it seems..
[20:13] <mhwood> I haven't had Oracle JDK around here for many months.
[20:13] <helix84> I removed "fix for 3.0" from Ds-864
[20:14] <robint> Sounds promising.
[20:14] <tdonohue> Looking at this list of "unassigned" issues, several of these seem to be "carry-overs" from old releases... (i.e. we just rescheduled them as we never got to them in the past)
[20:14] <hpottinger> oh, hey, 864 is related to stuff we're seeing during the release process, the "wall of WARN." I am SO signing up for 864
[20:14] <helix84> i've been running master code on OpenJDK 6
[20:15] <helix84> without any problems that I could attribute to OpenJDK
[20:16] <tdonohue> Do I dare suggest we just reschedule any ticket that is not directly related to 3.0 or Testathon results? Some of these are old
[20:16] <helix84> hpottinger: did you really mean 864? that one seems ovely generic to me
[20:16] <helix84> tdonohue: would probably be a good idea to reschedule them for 4.0
[20:16] <tdonohue> By "reschedule", I actually mean, *remove* the fix-for tag altogether, from some of these unassigned old issues, and concentrate on the ones reported *during* 3.0 Testathon
[20:16] <hpottinger> missing javadocs, helix84, leads to lots and lots of warnings when you try to release to Maven Central
[20:17] <helix84> hpottinger: i see
[20:17] <mhwood> We should all pitch in on 864, and you can remind me that I said that. :-)
[20:18] <hpottinger> btw, [INFO] Release preparation complete.
[20:18] <helix84> mhwood: it would help if you did a few and showed me the diff so that I know what's needed, I may then do some more
[20:19] <helix84> actually, like I commented on 864, a TODO list would be helpful
[20:20] <mhwood> It's mostly simple stuff: if a method has no such parameter as "foo" then the doc comment is either mis-spelled or shouldn't be there at all.
[20:20] * tdonohue is retagging some of these tickets...give me a minute here
[20:21] <helix84> mhwood: so where can I see a list of them?
[20:21] <mdiggory> TBH I recommend that time could be better spent on actual features/bugfixes. The code is not that bad and this is more of a guideline for when folks write code.
[20:21] <mhwood> To generate a TODO list, 'mvn javadoc:javadoc -l todo.txt'
[20:21] * helix84 is writing that down
[20:22] <tdonohue> OK, our unassigned list for 3.0 is now down to 6 items. I've rescheduled anything not directly related to 3.0: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC
[20:22] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+assignee+is+EMPTY+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC
[20:23] <hpottinger> (btw, running mvn release:perform right now)
[20:23] <tdonohue> hpottinger...fyi...not sure the prepare worked right again. I don't see the necessary release POM commits in GitHub
[20:24] <helix84> hpottinger: i didn't pay attention recently, have the xoai fixes been merged?
[20:24] <tdonohue> XOAI fixes are merged
[20:24] <helix84> thanks
[20:24] <KevinVdV> I'll take DS-1291 !
[20:24] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1291 ] - [#DS-1291] Statistics not working in xmlui - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:24] <tdonohue> (or at least the latest pull we had...I think more fixes are still coming)
[20:24] <tdonohue> Thanks KevinVdV
[20:25] <tdonohue> Anyone want to tackle DS-1329 and DS-1323 (both related to XMLUI display of CC Licenses...and possibly even essentially the same issue)?
[20:25] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1329 ] - [#DS-1329] CC License &amp; Collection metadata on item pages Layout issues - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:25] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1323 ] - [#DS-1323] CC Licenses on items link to nothing when displayed in XMLUI - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:26] <helix84> One more release topic: we wanted to fix the EOLs for good using gitattributes. I wanted to discuss when would be a good time to do this. I think just before releasing actual 3.0.
[20:26] <KevinVdV> Also taking DS-1248
[20:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1248 ] - [#DS-1248] Remove unused SolrLogger code for unsupported &quot;metadata.item.&quot; settings - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:27] <tdonohue> helix84 -- I'd suggest we fix EOLs sooner rather than later. But, obviously doing so could cause merge issues with any open pull requests
[20:28] <helix84> tdonohue: that's why I was suggesting a point when we should theoretically have the least pull requests in the whole cycle
[20:29] <tdonohue> sure, I agree helix84. Just don't want it to be "last minute" before release :)
[20:29] <helix84> tdonohue: do you think a whitespace change could cause problems?
[20:30] <tdonohue> doubtful, but I'd rather not be surprised at the last possible moment by some sort of issue caused by the commit.
[20:30] <helix84> also, at the same time, we might want to do a code reindentation (e.g. using the Eclipse plugin). It always bothers me when tabs and spaces are mixed, breaking indentation.
[20:31] <helix84> I'll shut up now and let us concentrate on actual bugs O:-)
[20:31] <tdonohue> yea..the bugs are what we need to fix here. That and the actual release process.
[20:32] * hpottinger grumbles and stares at mvn, hard.
[20:32] <tdonohue> hpottinger -- I can give "mvn release:prepare" a try myself, since it looks like your try failed again (not sure why)
[20:33] <hpottinger> that'd be good, thanks tdonohue
[20:33] <tdonohue> Ok. So, the big question here...how are we feeling about this release schedule? Do we want to schedule a second Testathon?
[20:34] <tdonohue> Current 3.0 schedule is at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.0+Notes#DSpaceRelease3.0Notes-TimelineandProcessing
[20:34] <kompewter> [ DSpace Release 3.0 Notes - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+3.0+Notes#DSpaceRelease3.0Notes-TimelineandProcessing
[20:34] <helix84> i'm for a second round. it's not like we're taking demo down, anyway, so it's just an announcement.
[20:35] <tdonohue> right. I agree, it's just an annoucment. But, running a second testathon likely does mean we need to push back our dates again slightly. That being said, I'm in favor of a second Testathon, as we've had a lot of bug reports & a lot of fixes
[20:35] <hpottinger> and, really, rc2 is just a way for the community to test the same code that's running on demo right now
[20:35] <hpottinger> (plus some xoai fixes)
[20:36] <mhwood> What would it mean to have a release candidate that is *not* to be widely tested?
[20:36] <hpottinger> mhwood: chaos ;-) mere anarchy
[20:37] <tdonohue> mhwood -- yea, likely not recommended. The testing would fall to us... and it could mean for a less stable final release
[20:38] <tdonohue> Essentially though, I think we need to let the Community know where things stand...we haven't said much about 3.0 publicly in a while (other than Testathon announcements). I'm wondering if we need to have some sort of followup to let folks know things may be delayed, but it's cause we want to do a secondary testathon & ensure we're more stable.
[20:39] <helix84> it might be a good idea to combine the second testathon announcements and the call for translations
[20:39] <robint> tdonohue: My vote would be yes, once we have sorted a few more bugs
[20:40] <robint> oops, ignore that last comment
[20:40] <helix84> robint: i believe they're releasing -rc2 as we speak
[20:40] <tdonohue> helix84 -- yea, but the RC2 release isn't working still
[20:40] <hpottinger> helix84: attempting to release it
[20:40] <KevinVdV> Is delaying RC2 an option ?
[20:40] <robint> Got distracted then accidentally hit enter
[20:41] <tdonohue> delaying RC2 is definitely an option
[20:41] <mhwood> Need to do release:cleanup between release:prepare -DdryRun and release:prepare?
[20:41] <hpottinger> done and done :-)
[20:41] <hpottinger> (as in it's already delayed :-)
[20:42] <helix84> hmm: November 1, 2012 : Release Candidate 2 is released
[20:42] <KevinVdV> Because I have 13 issues assigned to me for 3.0 & I would like to fix some of those for RC2 ....
[20:42] <tdonohue> actually, on our schedule, RC2 isn't guarranteed till Nov 1. But, we were trying to get it out early just to stabilize the release process & get out other fixes. I was anticipating an RC3 potentially later on
[20:43] <helix84> tdonohue: great, i've been hesitating to ask about rc3 because it's not in our chedule, but I'd prefer one (if there are more than a few bugs fixed after rc2)
[20:43] <tdonohue> i.e. we can do more than 2 Release Candidates... We don't have to fit everything into RC2. In fact, at this point, I'd highly recommend we do more than 2 RCs, as our release process has proven to be unstable & we need to stabilize it
[20:43] <hpottinger> this release process is gonna go soooo smooth for the next volunteer, I tell ya
[20:43] <mhwood> Can we build a list of bugs that must be fixed before RTM?
[20:43] <helix84> hpottinger: that's what i've been waiting for ;)
[20:44] <helix84> RTM - sounds like Windows, ugh :)
[20:44] <helix84> mhwood: isn't "fix for 3.0" such a list?
[20:45] <tdonohue> mhwood -- sure, I'd agree. I was anticipating that list of bugs is the "Fix for 3.0" list. But, if something is *missing* on that list, or needs to be removed/rescheduled, we should do so
[20:45] <mhwood> No, there's "we'd like to get this in" and "we can't ship until this is fixed."
[20:45] <helix84> actually "fix for 3.0" with priority "blocker"
[20:45] <tdonohue> Blocker & Critical issues are "must get in" in my mind.
[20:45] <tdonohue> (those are the two top levels of bugs)
[20:46] <mdiggory> Speaking of... I was just looking at this...
[20:46] <mdiggory> DS-1205
[20:46] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1205 ] - [#DS-1205] DSpace org.dspace.core.Context caching problem - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:47] <mdiggory> I'm not really sure if our CachingService is currently getting used for more than "request" caching.
[20:47] <mhwood> Indeed. I'm not sure that's a blocker. There's a workaround: if it's running out of memory, give it more memory. We do need to address the appetite for memory, but how urgent is it?
[20:49] <tdonohue> We can change that to a "major" issue, if we agree. I'm not fully up to speed with it, to be honest, and from the comment thread it sounds like there's some question whether anything can be fixed reasonably in time for 3.0
[20:49] <tdonohue> (i.e. we could even reschedule it)
[20:49] <mdiggory> I agree, this code has been part of dspace for a couple versions and so I'm not sure this is really blocking
[20:49] <hpottinger> not sure it's a blocker, but I'd be inclined to green light any patch that tones down the memory appetite of this application :-)
[20:49] <tdonohue> +1 hpottinger...agreed, though we shouldn't hold up a release for it
[20:50] <tdonohue> (unless it's an extremely bad memory issue that causes true instability...but, I'm not sure this one is)
[20:50] <helix84> tdonohue: a fix was offered (though no pull request yet) and I recommended pulling one now rather than for 3.1, because it will still get testing in testathon, whereas there won't be a testathon for 3.1 (so we should avoid breaking 3.1)
[20:50] <helix84> s/will/would/
[20:50] <tdonohue> helix84 -- well, if we get a fix in time, great...but, I notice richardrodgers hasn't answered (and I know for a fact he seems swamped these days)
[20:51] <mdiggory> I'm currently looking at the possibility of overhauling dspace-services for 4.0 so, any fixes come through that touch it, I would like to review them, per Context's cache, its not really a cache that lives past any request cycle.
[20:52] <hpottinger> +1 agreed tdonohue, if there was a patch, I'd say let's test it... but on the other hand, I don't think it's worth pulling out all the stops to write the patch. If someone else feels strongly about it, I'm happy to test their code.
[20:53] * tdonohue is trying to re-run the RC2 release as we speak
[20:54] <mhwood> Issue says it appeared in bin/dspace, which may be hanging around for a long time and handling a great many objects. It depends on what command was used.
[20:54] * hpottinger crosses fingers for tdonohue...
[20:54] <tdonohue> ok. So, any thoughts on *when* we run a second Testathon?
[20:54] <helix84> hpottinger: i'll add you as a reviewer of that issue if you don't mind
[20:55] <hpottinger> don't mind at all
[20:56] <tdonohue> We could aim for second Testathon Nov 5-9? or Nov 12-16? And push back the final release to something like Nov 26?
[20:57] <tdonohue> Does any of that sound reasonable? Just want to make sure everyone feels comfortable with the dates -- in terms of getting stuff fixed in time, etc.
[20:57] <mhwood> ??? Doesn't the Testathon begin the moment RC2 drops?
[20:57] <KevinVdV> Shouldn't we hold of on a final release date (in case we want to do a RC3)
[20:58] <tdonohue> mhwood -- if we want actual public to help with testing, I've been told in the past it is *BEST* to let them know in advance. Not just say "start testing now".... that's the feedback we've gotten from DCAT in the past
[20:58] <tdonohue> KevinVdV -- final release date is always flexible. It's a goal. We've already pushed it back 2-3 times for this release, to be honest. I think initially it was set at late Oct (i.e. now)
[20:59] <tdonohue> So, there's always the option to push back the final release again, if we hit major issues.
[20:59] <KevinVdV> Allright
[21:00] <tdonohue> I'm just looking for something we can tell the Community. I'd like to be able to give folks a status update on 3.0...but, we need to try and nail down some 2nd Testathon dates, and then give a general "guess" on the final release.
[21:00] <helix84> I'm fine with pushing back as necessary. Better bug-free than early.
[21:01] <tdonohue> WOO HOO.... RC2 "release:prepare" worked for me.
[21:01] <helix84> tdonohue: we should just update the release schedule according to information we have now and give them that
[21:01] <tdonohue> helix84 -- agreed
[21:01] <hpottinger> yay, tdonohue... I wonder what went wrong on this end of things?
[21:02] <tdonohue> not sure, hpottinger...sounds like we'll have to look more closely at your environment. The release went through smoothly on my end though, which is great to see.
[21:02] <robint> hpottinger: are you at Maven 3 ?
[21:02] <hpottinger> maven 3.0.3
[21:03] <robint> Thats my list exhausted :)
[21:03] <tdonohue> yea...I don't think it's a maven issue...the part that's failing for hpottinger is the actual commits to GitHub (though strangely the tagging makes it to GitHub)
[21:04] <tdonohue> in any case, we can figure it out after the mtg
[21:04] <helix84> off-topic: is anyone else getting an email from GitHub over and over that says "Branch: refs/tags/dspace-3.0-rc2" ? Does that have something to do with the maven release process?
[21:04] <tdonohue> So, anything else to talk about today with regard to 3.0 schedule & such.
[21:04] <tdonohue> helix84 -- yes, those were all the failed releases & then removal of the tag cause it was wrong
[21:05] <helix84> tdonohue: so, the testathon announcement and call for translations: a) ok to merge them? b) if rc2 is released, can we do it now?
[21:05] <tdonohue> sorry for the GitHub commit spam. hpottinger & I have been trying to get a successful release of RC2 for several days now.
[21:06] <hpottinger> since last week, I think...
[21:06] <helix84> no problem, i was just wondering. good job, on that guys.
[21:06] <tdonohue> helix84 -- yea, we can merge those calls. As for Testathon, I'd again suggest we *schedule* it (DCAT continues to tell us that it's difficult for repo mgrs to take part unless they can schedule it on their calendar)
[21:07] <tdonohue> So, even though RC2 is about to be "out there", & we can announce RC2, I'd still say we schedule dates for Testathon
[21:07] <tdonohue> (and it's possible by the time we get to Testathon, we'd already be on RC3 or RC4)
[21:07] <tdonohue> does that make sense? or do others disagree?
[21:07] <helix84> well, what's the point of saying start N days in the future if the end date is the same?
[21:08] <hpottinger> tdonohue: in this case, any advanced notice is going to be small...
[21:08] <hpottinger> it's less of a new testathon and more of a continuation of testathon, with a new version...
[21:09] <helix84> though we still need to update demo to -rc2 and I'd like to enable the mobile theme there ("mobile." subdomain), just can't seem to find the time to do it
[21:09] <tdonohue> ok...well, I guess my question is when do you want testathon to start/end then? I'm fine with doing this differently, if we want...but we still should set some dates
[21:09] <tdonohue> plus, as helix84 noted, we need time to update demo server, etc.
[21:10] <KevinVdV> Needs to run, until next week guys ...
[21:10] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C154B1.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: HydraIRC -> http://www.hydrairc.com <- Would you like to know more?)
[21:10] <hpottinger> as in "thanks for testing 3.0-rc1, your input has been really helpful, and we've been hard at work fixing the bugs you've found. Please consider continuing to help us test the next release candidate of DSpace 3.0 -RC2."
[21:10] <helix84> we're actually ahead of schedule at this point, considering -rc2, so we may still squeeze -rc3 in and delay only slightly
[21:11] <tdonohue> So, if we want to announce testathon starts next Mon (29th) we could...but, we need someone to get demo.dspace.org updated before then (I'm out on Fri & have a full plate tomorrow). I'm just looking at my schedule & I don't have any more time this week...but if RT wants to move things forward, I'm OK with it.
[21:12] <hpottinger> helix84: wanna do the honors with demo again?
[21:12] <robint> tdonohue: I would prefer Mon 5th Nov as start date to give us a little more time
[21:12] <helix84> hpottinger: I don't want to make promises, but if I do it, I'll send a notice to -devel that I'm working on it to avoid conflicts.
[21:12] <helix84> probably tomorrow
[21:13] <hpottinger> OK, if helix84 can't do it, I will
[21:13] <tdonohue> robint -- that was my initial thought too (which is why I initially said those dates)
[21:13] <helix84> I'm not so comfortable with Nov 5: we have rc2 now, so what's the point in delaying? we may have rc3 ready by then
[21:14] <helix84> just saying it doesn't make sense to test rc2 at a time when we have rc2+N bugfixes ready
[21:14] <tdonohue> I was more delaying cause of my schedule. But, if others can pick up tasks, we could start earlier.
[21:15] <hpottinger> I don't really see this as much of a change from the old testathon, just a continuation with new code... I know I'd happily deploy new code, if I were already testing, especially if I'd found a bug.
[21:15] <robint> My worry i that people get tired of testing and gradually stop
[21:16] <tdonohue> +1 robint
[21:16] <robint> so we wnat to get as many fixes in as possible before announcing a second phase of testing
[21:17] <helix84> So let's schedule rc3 for Nov 5 and prepare a testathon announcement starting Nov 5. Sounds good?
[21:17] <tdonohue> I think we have two options: (1) Do immediate testathon starting Mon on RC2 (I won't be available as a resource, as I'm out Fri & Mon), OR (2) Schedule Testathon for Nov 5-9...if we have RC3 ready by then then we test on RC3 rather than RC2
[21:18] <helix84> what I said is Tim's option 2, so I agree
[21:18] <tdonohue> (small fyi -- cannot schedule a release and testathon for the same day. You need time for the release to propagate out to Maven Central. You could do RC3 on Nov 1 or 2 & Testathon on Nov 5
[21:18] <hpottinger> I'm OK with option 2, though in the announcement we can say RC2 is already out, and invite people to test with that version, if they so wish...
[21:18] <helix84> tdonohue: right, I realized that just after I hit Enter
[21:19] <tdonohue> hpottinger -- yep, makes sense
[21:20] <tdonohue> so, does someone want to start drafting the announcement? (looking towards release team). I'd be glad to help with tweaks (could help a little tomorrow possibly)..but I may not get to it till next Tues otherwise.
[21:20] <helix84> does anyone want to do the release on, say, Nov 2nd? (I still don't feel comfortable doing the release)
[21:20] <helix84> s/release/release myself/
[21:20] <kompewter> helix84 meant to say: does anyone want to do the release myself on, say, Nov 2nd? (I still don't feel comfortable doing the release)
[21:20] <helix84> s/release)/release myself)/
[21:20] <kompewter> error: unbalanced parenthesis (file "/usr/lib/python2.7/re.py", line 242, in _compile)
[21:20] * tdonohue wonders how we plan to release helix84 on Nov 2. That sounds difficult
[21:21] <helix84> O:-)
[21:21] <mhwood> That's for him to figure out.
[21:21] <hpottinger> I like the sound of this: we've tested and have made revisions, we plan to go through another internal phase of testing (which anyone is welcome to join), we'll have another release candidate ready for testing on Nov. 5, for those who need to plan for another round of testing, please do plan to help starting Nov. 5.
[21:22] <tdonohue> Yea, I think that's the general theme. We could even throw in a reminder of the new features in 3.0 that we're looking for help on testing (i.e. grab some text from Sands initial email too)
[21:22] <robint> Sorry guys, I've got to go. Cheers
[21:22] <mhwood> Me, too. 'bye.
[21:22] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:22] <helix84> and we may send the announcement about that schedule just after we drop rc2 on demo, also saying that they can test at any time
[21:23] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:23] <tdonohue> hpottinger -- you want to take a stab at the announcement? Or pull it together amongst the RT? Again...glad to help provide some tweaks or review if you want it.
[21:23] <helix84> Sounds good. I'll tentatively try to update demo tomorrow and prepare the announcement with hpottinger as a backup ;)
[21:24] <tdonohue> ok, sounds good.
[21:24] <hpottinger> least I could do after not running the prepare step correctly :-\
[21:24] <helix84> should we use -devel or -release for coordination about that?
[21:24] <tdonohue> I think that's it for today then, unless anyone else has something to add?
[21:24] <hpottinger> -release for release-oriented mail
[21:24] <tdonohue> to coordinate the announcement, use -release.
[21:24] <helix84> ok
[21:25] <tdonohue> but, send the announcement to -general, -tech & -devel
[21:25] <helix84> yep, and DCAT
[21:25] <tdonohue> yep, them too :)
[21:25] * hpottinger remembers he meant to sign up for the DCAT list...
[21:26] * tdonohue is running our "release:perform" to get this RC2 release actually heading out to Sonatype, and then to Maven Central
[21:26] <tdonohue> Ok...I think that's it for today then! This is all sounding great all! Honestly, I think 3.0 is coming along great, and hopefully the 2nd Testathon will show that things are much more stable & nearing final release!
[21:26] <helix84> tdonohue: we might want to try releasing also the -lang projects, just to see if they're still working. I'll prepare a translation update and let you know.
[21:27] <tdonohue> helix84 -- I can pretty much guarrantee that the -lang projects are *not* working yet. But, I think they should be easy to fix, now that we've got the main project working right.
[21:27] <hpottinger> :-)
[21:27] <tdonohue> But, I agree, we should do a -lang project release soon to get things fixed & working right
[21:28] <helix84> I haven't started with the translation update yet, so there's still time to do that.
[21:28] <tdonohue> (I've just been waiting for someone to commit code to the -lang projects)
[21:28] <tdonohue> (cause currently, there's nothing new to release)
[21:28] <helix84> we have a minor correction for spanish, though, i can commit that tomorrow
[21:28] <tdonohue> sounds good
[21:29] <helix84> thanks guys and good night!
[21:29] <tdonohue> good night to you too!
[21:29] * tdonohue heads into "semi-lurking" mode as I watch this release do it's thing
[21:29] <hpottinger> tdonohue: anything I can help with release, or do you have all that covered now?
[21:30] <tdonohue> hpottinger -- I have it covered...but if you want, you can take a look at what things look at in Sonatype (once this gets finished...still chugging away), just so you know what it looks like. But, if you have other stuff to do right now, no worries, we can do that later
[21:31] * helix84 (a@ has left #duraspace
[21:31] <hpottinger> will do, switching to #dspace
[21:35] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-118.west.biz.rr.com) Quit (Quit: mdiggory)
[21:59] * scottatm (~scottatm@adhcp218.evans.tamu.edu) Quit (Quit: scottatm)
[22:14] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@ has left #duraspace
[22:15] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-108-221.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:21] * linux4u (~james@employed.library.emory.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.