#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2012-11-21

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:50] -holmes.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:50] -holmes.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:50] -holmes.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:50] -holmes.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:50] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:50] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:50] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[10:09] * anj (~anjacks0n@ has joined #duraspace
[10:24] * anj (~anjacks0n@ Quit (Read error: Connection timed out)
[13:21] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:32] * cbeer_ (cbeer@2600:3c03::f03c:91ff:fedf:a498) has joined #duraspace
[13:34] * cbeer (cbeer@2600:3c03::f03c:91ff:fedf:a498) Quit (*.net *.split)
[13:52] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-129-94-92.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:22] * hpottinger (~hardy@ has joined #duraspace
[15:23] * hpottinger (~hardy@ Quit (Client Quit)
[15:24] * hpottinger (~hardy@ has joined #duraspace
[15:30] * hpottinger (~hardy@ Quit (Quit: Later Taterz!)
[15:33] * hpottinger (~hardy@ has joined #duraspace
[15:33] * hpottinger (~hardy@ Quit (Client Quit)
[15:34] * hpottinger (~hardy@ has joined #duraspace
[16:06] * tdonohue1 (~tdonohue@c-50-129-94-92.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:06] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-129-94-92.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Disconnected by services)
[16:37] * tdonohue1 is now known as tdonohue
[18:33] * tdonohue1 (~tdonohue@c-50-129-94-92.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[18:33] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-129-94-92.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Disconnected by services)
[19:28] * tdonohue1 (~tdonohue@c-50-129-94-92.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[19:44] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:50] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C154B1.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:50] <KevinVdV> Hi everybody
[19:50] <robint> Hi KevinVdV
[19:56] <robint> Just a reminder to anyone loitering that we will start the weekly meeting in a few minutes
[20:00] * helix84 (a@ has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <robint> Hi helix84
[20:01] <helix84> hello
[20:01] <robint> I guess its time we got started
[20:02] <robint> No Tim this week but there are only a few of us so I'm sure we will manage
[20:02] <robint> KevinVdV: busy few days supplying pull requests :)
[20:03] <robint> I guess we should just go through the outstanding Jira requests
[20:03] <helix84> i'd award Kevin a medal of relentless bugfixer
[20:03] <robint> +1
[20:03] <robint> just going to dig out the Jira list...
[20:03] <helix84> https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.0%22+AND+resolution%3DUnresolved+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC
[20:03] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.0%22+AND+resolution%3DUnresolved+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC
[20:04] <KevinVdV> Thx for the medal nomination guys
[20:04] <robint> Thanks
[20:04] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:04] <robint> Hi aschweer
[20:04] <KevinVdV> Ps: if I'm quite at the start its cause I'm updating the documentation on controlled vocs on the wiki
[20:04] <hpottinger> and helix84 has very dependable on the rebound, merging pull requests
[20:04] <aschweer> hi folks
[20:05] <helix84> what i can test, i merge
[20:05] * barmintor (~ba2213@dyn-128-59-158-133.dyn.columbia.edu) has left #duraspace
[20:05] <robint> First up DS-1363
[20:05] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1363 ] - [#DS-1363] Unable to create new version when previous version was deleted in workspace - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:05] <robint> with matching pull request
[20:06] <robint> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/131
[20:06] <kompewter> [ [DS-1363] Unable to create new version when previous version was deleted in workspace by KevinVdV · Pull Request #131 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/131
[20:07] <KevinVdV> When applying this patch on the demo server it should fix the item that was mentioned in the JIRA task
[20:07] <helix84> i haven't played with versioning yet, so I can't test. but if we don't find a tester, I'd merge it anyway because it fixes a blocker bug.
[20:08] <robint> Agreed
[20:08] <robint> Its fixing something that is broken so whats to lose
[20:08] <helix84> any testers?
[20:09] <robint> I'm out of the office for the rest of the week so can't help
[20:09] <helix84> ping mhwood?
[20:10] <mhwood> I haven't done anything with versioning either. I can say that I'm looking at the commit and it's not obviously wrong. :-/
[20:10] <helix84> let's push it, then
[20:10] <robint> +1 Who wants the honour ?
[20:11] <helix84> done
[20:11] <hpottinger> weee!
[20:11] <KevinVdV> Thx I will close the JIRA
[20:11] <robint> Next up DS-1333
[20:11] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1333 ] - [#DS-1333] Versioning an Item causes some metadata values to be lost - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:13] <helix84> i didn't exactly understand the fix
[20:13] <robint> I am also a wee bit unclear why we have to lose some of the metdata
[20:13] <helix84> what does it mean that the fields are configurable?
[20:14] <KevinVdV> Well before my change the metadata fields that where not copied where hard coded
[20:14] <helix84> ok, but why are they not copied?
[20:14] <KevinVdV> So you would lose dc.relation, dc.date.accessioned, ..
[20:15] <KevinVdV> Don't know... that's why I made it configurable & put it to description.provenance & dc.date.accessioned
[20:15] <helix84> i can understand dc.date.accessioned and dc.identifer, but why the others?
[20:15] <KevinVdV> That is why I removed that part
[20:16] <robint> So now you would copy dc.type and dc.subject ?
[20:16] <helix84> so for the configurable fields, what's the default? to copy or not to copy? (that's the question)
[20:16] <KevinVdV> Everything is copied EXCEPT what is configured
[20:17] <mhwood> Good.
[20:17] <hpottinger> copy would be expected behavior, I think...
[20:17] <helix84> I see, ignoredMetadataFields. Looks fine to me now.
[20:17] <KevinVdV> But one CAN edit the spring file to alter that, if somebody wants other fields for that
[20:17] <robint> Fine by me
[20:17] <helix84> fine here, too
[20:18] <helix84> let's just add a short explanation in the jira issue and merge
[20:18] <hpottinger> +1, as long as it's configurable
[20:18] <helix84> i'll take jira
[20:18] <robint> Shall I press the button ?
[20:18] <KevinVdV> That is why I made it configurable hpottinger ;)
[20:18] <KevinVdV> Go right ahead robint
[20:18] <hpottinger> +1 Max ;-)
[20:19] <robint> Done
[20:19] <robint> On to DS-1335
[20:19] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1335 ] - [#DS-1335] Versioned items will re-enter Collection workflow approval? - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:20] <KevinVdV> Well that one isn't really a "bug"
[20:20] <KevinVdV> It is by design, at the moment (community/collection) admins CAN create a new version & it has to pass the workflow again.
[20:22] <mhwood> The bug is that what the user is told is not quite what is happening.
[20:22] <mhwood> This leads to confusion.
[20:23] <helix84> i agree with the confusion. i don't disagree with the behaviour.
[20:23] <mhwood> That is: I think it *should* go back through the workflow, but the text on the pages and the flow of *pages* needs tweaking, as noted in the issue.
[20:23] <aschweer> mhwood: that sounds good to me
[20:23] <KevinVdV> Hmmm true, true
[20:24] <KevinVdV> I will attempt to fix this one later this week
[20:24] <robint> Embaressingly I can't remember what happens after a normal submission, does the submitter get notified if it goes into workflow ?
[20:24] <hpottinger> so, a modified workflow just for versions?
[20:24] <KevinVdV> The same message is shown.
[20:24] <KevinVdV> I will attempt to alter the message
[20:24] <aschweer> only via a message on the screen, and by what the status of the submission is on the submissions page
[20:25] <robint> Shall we leave this one for the moment since we have a lot to get through ?
[20:26] <robint> Next up DS-1395
[20:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1395 ] - [#DS-1395] Hit highlighting not operational - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:26] <helix84> i think there was another bug for normal submission process - after completing it you're not directed to the new item, but back to the list of submissions
[20:27] <helix84> i'll test
[20:28] <helix84> let's go on
[20:28] <robint> Ok thanks
[20:28] <robint> DS-1395
[20:28] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1395 ] - [#DS-1395] Hit highlighting not operational - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:28] <robint> There is a pull request and it looks harmless to me
[20:28] <KevinVdV> Yeah this one doesn't hurt anybody, just fixes the issue
[20:29] <helix84> i'll just do a quick check, let's move to the next issue
[20:30] <robint> Ok we can come back to 1395 in a moment, meanwhile DS-1082
[20:30] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1082 ] - [#DS-1082] Invalid embargo causes item archival to crash - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:31] <KevinVdV> No consesus on this JIRA yet, so I would recommend postponing to DSpace 3.1 ?
[20:32] <helix84> wait
[20:32] <robint> waiting :)
[20:32] <helix84> what are the options of notifying someone of the error?
[20:33] <helix84> and when does the system find the error?
[20:34] <KevinVdV> Well the problem is IF the embargo date is passed & the final reviewer wants to accept the item into the archive it will fail. Due to the fact that the embargoManager will crash on the invalid date.
[20:34] <robint> Looks like the problem was/is in InstallItem
[20:35] <KevinVdV> True, my patch will log an error but let the item pass on
[20:35] <helix84> whom would it be sensible to notify?
[20:35] <helix84> the submitter?
[20:35] <robint> I tend to favour rescheduling this
[20:36] <KevinVdV> I'm with robint we need a consensus on how to handle this.
[20:37] <hpottinger> +1 punt to 3.1
[20:37] <helix84> it's ok with me because the behaviour now errs on side of caution (not to publish the item)
[20:37] <mhwood> Ideally an exception would percolate up to the UI, which can tell the user "invalid embargo condition" and let him try again.
[20:37] <helix84> i meant it's ok with me to postpone
[20:37] <KevinVdV> Yeah but in the final accept one cannot alter the embargo date
[20:37] <mhwood> Ugh.
[20:37] <helix84> mhwood: but the user here is some repo manager. he doesn't know the intentions of the submitter.
[20:38] <aschweer> but doesn't that mean the repo manager needs to check with the user, rather than guessing either way?
[20:38] <aschweer> it essentially means "the depositor requested something that doesn't make sense", no?
[20:38] <robint> I'm going to miss out Peter Dietz's isssues since we previously agreed to leave them until the last minute
[20:38] <mhwood> Then we need to keep bad dates out as best we can, so that this path is never exercised.
[20:39] <mhwood> +1 aschweer
[20:39] <helix84> so the best would be to have the options: archive anyway, don't archive, contact submitter
[20:39] <hpottinger> I'd be in favor of some kind of regular report, "embargoed items in limbo"
[20:39] <mhwood> Curation task. :-)
[20:39] <robint> Can I be cheeky and push us on to DS-1370 ? Still about 15 issues to review :)
[20:39] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1370 ] - [#DS-1370] Errors in Oracle db script - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:40] <KevinVdV> Indeed robint, lets delay the embargo issue ?
[20:40] <helix84> KevinVdV: +1
[20:40] <mhwood> Yes, 1082 needs more think time.
[20:40] <robint> Lets embargo the embargo issue !
[20:40] <robint> bad joke...
[20:40] <helix84> mhwood: you're our oracle guy, aren't you? ;)
[20:40] <hpottinger> haven't had a chance to look into 1370 or 1379 yet, though 1379 should be a simple fix based on the description of the issue, and 1370 may not be an issue
[20:41] <mhwood> No, that would be hpottinger I think. I *have* Oracle 11 XE on a desktop box somewhere....
[20:41] * hpottinger hands mhwood a drink
[20:42] <mhwood> I have enough trouble with Oracle sober.
[20:42] <robint> hpottinger: if you don't have time let us know and we could ping dspace-devel looking for Oracle volunteers
[20:42] <hpottinger> guilty as charged, we use Oracle in production
[20:42] <helix84> right. hardy, will you have time for them before Monday?
[20:42] <hpottinger> would love the help, but, I ought to be able to look at both of these issues over the weekend
[20:43] <hpottinger> my hunch is the install script errors are ignorable, but probably fixable
[20:43] <robint> Great stuff hpottinger
[20:43] <hpottinger> and the upgrade script just needs a tweak
[20:43] <helix84> ok, if you don't squash, them, just postpone them. they don't look critical.
[20:44] <robint> helix84: agreed, nice to have but not essential
[20:44] <robint> Moving on DS-1329
[20:44] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1329 ] - [#DS-1329] CC License &amp; Collection metadata on item pages Layout issues - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:44] <hpottinger> frankly, I've seen errors whenever I've loaded a new DB in Oracle, and everything always turns out OK in the end... knock on wood...
[20:45] <helix84> i still haven't finished that. I got entangled in some METS vs DIM matching issues. i hope to resolve it soon.
[20:45] <robint> Ok, we'll leave that with you helix84, thanks
[20:46] <robint> I would say that its another 'nice to have' rather than essential
[20:46] <helix84> i didn't yet get to DS-1354, but it should be an easy fix
[20:46] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1354 ] - [#DS-1354] in XMLUI, the creative commons link does not address the creative-commons license, just the item page - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:46] <helix84> ehm, not that one
[20:47] <helix84> those CC issues are basically all duplicates
[20:48] <robint> helix84: squash them into one if you want ?
[20:48] <robint> I think the next on the list that we need to discuss is DS-1371
[20:48] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1371 ] - [#DS-1371] Unclear how to use OpenAIRE &amp; DRIVER OAI 2.0 interfaces - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:48] <helix84> that's just bureaucracy, i'll try to just fix them
[20:49] <robint> sounds good
[20:49] <robint> 1371 looks to me just like a documentation issue
[20:49] <helix84> Joao mentioned he's been workong on docs lately
[20:50] <helix84> let's skip it
[20:50] <helix84> even if it doesn't get finished, I'll handle the dspace-tech questions :)
[20:50] <mhwood> Perhaps ask him how it's progressing? Last update two weeks ago.
[20:51] <helix84> i'll ping him when i see him
[20:51] <robint> Fine by me
[20:51] <hpottinger> yes, if there's a bit of missing documentation that you'd personally like to see get written, I'd say feel free to ping whomever is supposed to write it
[20:51] <robint> DS-1357
[20:51] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1357 ] - [#DS-1357] Mobile XMLUI theme fails to load when reloading item view page - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:52] <helix84> this is the one that should be easy, i just didn't get to it
[20:52] <mhwood> I'm happy to help polish documentation, BTW.
[20:52] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[20:52] <hpottinger> even better, if you're in a position to write docs (even if it's just a stub) please do so (thanks, mhwood, wherever you are :-)
[20:52] <robint> Thanks mhwood
[20:53] <helix84> and he's gone :)
[20:54] <helix84> let's move on
[20:54] <robint> He was understandably afraid we would all dump documentation on him :)
[20:54] <robint> DS-1357
[20:54] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1357 ] - [#DS-1357] Mobile XMLUI theme fails to load when reloading item view page - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:54] <helix84> don't worry, i'm keeping the doc task for him in my clipboard :)
[20:55] <helix84> next one?
[20:55] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:55] <helix84> mhwood: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/DSpace+3.x+Documentation?focusedCommentId=33236710#comment-33236710
[20:55] <kompewter> [ DSpace 3.x Documentation - DSpace 3.x Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/DSpace+3.x+Documentation?focusedCommentId=33236710#comment-33236710
[20:55] <mhwood> Sorry, phone call killed Pidgin
[20:56] <robint> Welcome back mhwood
[20:56] <robint> helix84: if memory serves me right you knew something about 1357 ?
[20:56] <helix84> this is the one that should be easy, i just didn't get to it
[20:56] <helix84> i have it assigned
[20:57] <robint> They are piling up on you a little
[20:57] <helix84> yes :(
[20:58] <robint> Lets finish the list then we could have a quick chat about the outstanding ones
[20:58] <robint> DS-1345
[20:58] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1345 ] - [#DS-1345] Item Level Versioning, all versions are searchable - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:58] <helix84> waiting for fix confirmation
[21:00] <robint> So, I'm thinking that after so many fixes we possibly need to do another release to demo. That way we could allow people to confirm on the demo server ?
[21:00] <helix84> i'm not doing it this time, no time left
[21:01] <KevinVdV> The DS 1345 should work out
[21:01] <helix84> and there wouldn't be much time to wait for the confirmations
[21:01] <robint> Well we still have to confirm a release date
[21:01] <hpottinger> 1370/1379 are Oracle-specific, I will test and confirm before I push the button on any merges
[21:02] <helix84> robint: well we just resolved the major issues and we have only minor ones left
[21:02] <robint> KevinVdV: Personally I'm happy with DS 1345
[21:02] <mhwood> So which issues would you want fixed before updating demo?
[21:03] <KevinVdV> Btw the pull request for DS 1345 & 1346 are the same
[21:04] <helix84> KevinVdV: are you happy with the state of things as reported or with your pull request applied?
[21:04] <robint> mhwood: I amguessing there will eventually be about 10-15 merges that have not been exposed to demo
[21:05] <KevinVdV> For 1345 & 1346 I would like the pull request accepted, since these are bugs
[21:05] <mhwood> Woops, must leave for a few minutes, a lot of staff are out today and security wants a machine sequestered.
[21:05] <helix84> just a sec
[21:05] <robint> KevinVdV: +1 for merging. Claudia can still test
[21:05] <helix84> any testers for the controlled vocabulary bug? i'm piled up
[21:06] <helix84> btw thanks for the docs kevin
[21:06] <helix84> DS-1284
[21:06] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1284 ] - [#DS-1284] Facet name (research field subject) too long for discovery box - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:07] <robint> helix84: Which issue is that ?
[21:07] <KevinVdV> It would be appriciated if anybody could test this locally, controlled vocs are enabled by default for dc.subject in DSpace 3.0
[21:07] <helix84> this one - 1284
[21:08] <robint> Sorry, typing trouble
[21:09] <robint> I'll pick up 1284
[21:09] <helix84> thanks
[21:10] <robint> Can we jump back to 1345/6, what was the decision ?
[21:10] <helix84> no idea. i trust kevin in this.
[21:10] <robint> Me too
[21:11] <helix84> shall we merge or wait for claudia?
[21:11] <robint> I say we should merge but tell Claudia
[21:11] <helix84> she's subscribed so she's been notified
[21:12] <helix84> i'd say give her some time, but if she doesn't respond, merge before the release
[21:12] <robint> ok, fine
[21:12] <robint> I'll add a comment to that effect
[21:12] <helix84> thanks
[21:13] <robint> DS-1349
[21:13] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1349 ] - [#DS-1349] Item level versioning exposes personal data (name and email of submitter, versioning creator) - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:13] <robint> This is the one that Bram has commented on
[21:13] <hpottinger> we need a list of things that we need to merge if no one yells "STOP!" before I pull the big ol' lever on Tuesday
[21:13] <aschweer> sorry, I have to leave. bye all.
[21:13] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: leaving)
[21:13] <helix84> 1349 either needs a big warning in docs or a patch
[21:13] <KevinVdV> Well almost all of my jira tasks have pull requests attached, I do believe they all should pass
[21:14] <KevinVdV> Unless somebody finds an error in some of these
[21:15] <helix84> i agree, kevin
[21:15] <robint> So it seems you can decide in config what how much data you want exposed, but it defaults to showing quite a lot ?
[21:15] <helix84> kevin, can you do that for 1349?
[21:17] <helix84> wait, versioning is disabled by default, right?
[21:17] <helix84> there was the AIP issue
[21:17] <helix84> so we just add another warning to that
[21:17] <hpottinger> it does sound like we could handle it with docs
[21:18] <robint> We could just reschedule this since versioning will be off by default
[21:18] <helix84> yes, but only after we document it :)
[21:19] <hpottinger> +1 helix84, postpone is fine, but docs would be great
[21:19] <robint> Is item.history.view.admin=false by default ?
[21:19] <helix84> robint: that makes sense
[21:19] <robint> It would be the cautious approach
[21:19] <KevinVdV> Yes it is false by default
[21:20] <robint> Ah, so it was just turned on for the demo server ? No problem then
[21:20] <helix84> no, it makes sense to expose the version history to public
[21:22] <helix84> tim disabled versioning here:
[21:22] <helix84> https://github.com/tdonohue/DSpace/commit/06863c787da1f2b6b181aeae91aaa2a0d39c08ca
[21:22] <kompewter> [ Fix DS-1341 and DS-1388 (disable Versioning & Elastic Search aspects). ... · 06863c7 · tdonohue/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/tdonohue/DSpace/commit/06863c787da1f2b6b181aeae91aaa2a0d39c08ca
[21:22] <helix84> but i don't see the warning about the AIP issue
[21:23] <robint> helix84: could you comment to that effect on 1349 ?
[21:23] <helix84> ok
[21:24] <robint> Good news, we are at the end of the list !
[21:24] <robint> helix84: did you want time to look at DS-1395 ?
[21:24] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1395 ] - [#DS-1395] Hit highlighting not operational - DuraSpace JIRA
[21:25] <helix84> i already added myself as reviewer
[21:26] <robint> ok, we'll leave that with you
[21:26] <hpottinger> robint: I've made some progress on an idea I've been tinkering with, and would love for other folks to chime in at some point
[21:26] <helix84> so we still have to decide on the release date
[21:26] <helix84> i mean confirm
[21:26] <robint> Yep
[21:27] <helix84> and there's a localization issue (or two) i'd like to discuss
[21:27] <robint> Was the provisional date next Tuesday ?
[21:27] <helix84> yes
[21:27] <hpottinger> oh, my calendar says release date is 11/27 (next Tuesday)
[21:27] <helix84> we forgot to update the release schedule last week
[21:27] <robint> Do we still think that is realistic?
[21:28] <helix84> it will be tight, but yes
[21:28] <helix84> no major issues are open
[21:28] <hpottinger> I think it's doable
[21:28] <hpottinger> doable=product will ship, quality of the product is up to all of us between now an then, obviously :-)
[21:28] <robint> I'm aware it Thanksgiving in the US, and I'm also on a course for a couple of days
[21:29] <KevinVdV> I will be bugging people if my pull requests aren't accepted by friday ;-)
[21:29] <helix84> KevinVdV: please do
[21:29] <helix84> i'll be mostly offline during the weekend
[21:29] <robint> KevinVdV: I think they were all 'passed'in principle, just awaiting comments in some cases
[21:29] <helix84> so i'll have to manage my assignments by then
[21:29] <hpottinger> I figure Monday will be the big "oh, gosh, we *have* to ship with *this* patch" day
[21:30] <helix84> hpottinger: that may well happen, but we can postpone by a day or two then rather than now
[21:31] <hpottinger> and then Tuesday, I'll pull the big lever and hide :-)
[21:31] <robint> helix84: that seems sensible, lets keep the pressure on
[21:31] <helix84> hpottinger: we know where you live!
[21:32] <robint> Good meeting tonight, lots of progress so a pat on the back to all
[21:32] <helix84> so, the release date seems confirmed :)
[21:32] <helix84> about the localization
[21:32] <robint> Go for it
[21:33] <KevinVdV> Needs to run, if everything goes well you won't hear of me before the release ! (Else I will be buging you guys about my pull requests !)
[21:33] <helix84> there have been some updates for 1.8 localizations (including mine, still in the works), so i suggested to tim that we should do another 1.8 release of the dspace-xmlui-lang artifact
[21:33] <helix84> KevinVdV: go enjoy your medal! :)
[21:34] <helix84> he said it's possible, we'd have to create a git branch for it
[21:34] <helix84> he also said it's not a good idea to do the 1.8 release around the time of the 3.0 release
[21:34] <helix84> that it might cause some confusion
[21:35] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C154B1.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: HydraIRC -> http://www.hydrairc.com <-)
[21:35] <helix84> what do you think?
[21:35] <robint> I see, there is no 1.8 branch in Github
[21:35] <robint> thats a pain
[21:35] <helix84> the translations are a bit mixed right now
[21:36] <helix84> i can create the branch, i don't think that would be a problem regardless of when/if we decide to do another release of it
[21:36] <robint> I don't think it would cause confusion to the rest of the community, maybe just to us
[21:36] <hpottinger> no 1.8 branch? oh in the translations...
[21:36] * hpottinger proves robint's confusion remark above...
[21:37] <helix84> robint: agreed, it's probably a bit much to do 3x 3.0 release + 1x1.8 release on Monday&Tuesday
[21:37] <robint> Yes it would mean they would both be in Sonatype staging at the same time
[21:38] <helix84> OTOH, I thought I'd get my feet wet on the release process with the dspace-xmlui-lang artifact
[21:38] <robint> helix84: good plan
[21:38] <robint> its a great way of familiarising yourself with it
[21:38] <helix84> as long as someone has the time to hold my hand :)
[21:38] <hpottinger> great plan, just be sure you're releasing what you think you're releasing
[21:39] <robint> When were you thinking of doing it ?
[21:39] <helix84> tim said langpack releases should be a day or so before the dspace release
[21:39] <helix84> which gives us monday or sunday night
[21:39] <hpottinger> Monday is my vote
[21:39] <robint> I think that only applies to the 3.0 release
[21:40] <robint> You could do a 1.8.n lan pack relaese anytime
[21:40] * hpottinger totally forgot about the language pack release timing
[21:40] <helix84> ok, i think i'll wait with the 1.8 release a few days after the 3.0 release
[21:40] <robint> Unless its changed the lan packs are referenced with a range in the poms
[21:40] <helix84> but i'll prepare the git branch
[21:41] <robint> so dspace version 1.8.0-1.8.9
[21:41] <robint> or something similar
[21:41] <helix84> you can define an open interval in maven
[21:41] <helix84> so it would be somehting like <1.8.0,3.0)
[21:42] <mhwood> [1.8.0,3.0)
[21:42] <helix84> it's documented somewhere
[21:42] <hpottinger> famous last words ;-)
[21:43] <helix84> "that dog doesn't bite"
[21:44] <robint> Yes, have a look in the dspace-parent pom and you should see the dependencies have ranges
[21:44] <helix84> ok, one more localization issue, but i'm not sure it's worth bringing it up since there are so few of us (and noone else has a native language other than English)
[21:46] <helix84> there are now 4 separate messages.xml files - the main one and one for discovery, swordclient and xmlworkflow (those are located in the directory of each respective module)
[21:47] <helix84> i found it works if you just put the translations of the modules into the main translated messages_XX.xml file
[21:47] <helix84> no place/policy for the translated modules has been decided yet
[21:47] <mhwood> It works, but it means you have message texts in one project and their use in another.
[21:48] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[21:48] <helix84> i don't see that as a problem for dspace admins deploying dspace and adding localizations
[21:48] <helix84> granted, may look ugly from a developer POV
[21:48] <helix84> but for the admin it's just more work
[21:48] <helix84> and what's worse, more work for the translator
[21:49] <mhwood> Point.
[21:49] <helix84> so for 3.0, i'm just going to recomend to translator to submit one file with all the translations
[21:50] <helix84> it's not like anybody couldn't rip it out and split it anytime if they wanted to
[21:50] <helix84> so since there are still two of us, i think we have a DevMtg consensus, don't we? :D
[21:50] <mhwood> The difficult part is finding where the keys are used. After that, yes, it's tedious but easy.
[21:51] <helix84> what do you mean? who would need to find out where they're _used_?
[21:51] <hpottinger> don't discount the lurkers...
[21:51] <helix84> /slap DuraLogBot
[21:52] <mhwood> I don't like it, but I'm not prepared to vote against (if it came to a vote). We need to do more for our translators. It could be fixed up later.
[21:52] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[21:52] <mhwood> Where the keys are used tells us where the catalog entries belong.
[21:52] <robint> Hi all, sorry my machine crashed
[21:52] <helix84> you already know that from the English catalog
[21:52] <mhwood> True.
[21:53] <helix84> and if there was just one catalog, you'd know from the message key or from comments
[21:54] <robint> helix 84: are you happy with the 1.8.n lan release stuff ?
[21:54] <helix84> and even if not that, finding out is just one grep away
[21:54] <mhwood> So now the English text is in one place and every other localization is in another. Again, I dislike that but don't want to impede translators. I'd like to see us revisit this after release.
[21:54] <robint> have a look in here https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-1_8_x/pom.xml
[21:54] <kompewter> [ DSpace/pom.xml at dspace-1_8_x · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-1_8_x/pom.xml
[21:54] <robint> and you will see the version ranges
[21:55] <helix84> mhwood: we already postponed the discussion, but the translation time is now, so I need to tell something to the translators. even if it changes for the next release, it's no problem, anyone can move the strings between files at any time.
[21:56] <helix84> robint: right
[21:56] <mhwood> I think we agree there: whatever is done for 3.0 can be rearranged later.
[21:57] <helix84> ok, anything else on our agenda?
[21:57] <hpottinger> I took my crazy idea to dspace-devel
[21:57] <helix84> hpottinger: actually, it's already been discussed in a DevMtg
[21:58] <helix84> hpottinger: i think we just postponed the experiments until after the release
[21:59] <hpottinger> indeed, helix84, I think we left it at: figure out how to pull out a theme, and we'll play after the release, so I'm just reporting back that I've got Mirage pulled out of DSpace
[21:59] <robint> Releases are hard work :)
[21:59] <helix84> http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2012-10-17
[21:59] <kompewter> [ IRC Log for #duraspace on irc.freenode.net, collected by DuraLogBot ] - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2012-10-17
[21:59] <robint> I'm going to sneak off... Cheers
[21:59] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:59] <mhwood> Thanks robint.
[21:59] <helix84> i've had enough of dspace for today, too :)
[22:00] <helix84> good night everyone
[22:01] <hpottinger> I'm going to go upstairs and help cook, see you guys next week
[22:01] * hpottinger (~hardy@ Quit (Quit: Later Taterz!)
[22:01] <mhwood> I have to go too. 'bye, anyone who is left!
[22:02] * helix84 (a@ has left #duraspace
[22:03] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:55] * scottatm (~scottatm@adhcp218.evans.tamu.edu) Quit (Quit: scottatm)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.