#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2012-11-28

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:24] <cbeer> eddies: for FF, did we ever make a decision about project management platforms? should we do that before the meeting?
[6:24] <cbeer> and, are there other logistical items that make sense to get out of the way early.. like SCM hosting, CI builds, etc?
[6:34] <eddies> cbeer: no decision yet on jira vs tracker vs ???
[6:34] <eddies> for scm, we'll use github, under the fcrepo org
[6:35] <eddies> for ci, it's either jenkins or bamboo
[6:36] <eddies> i'm still on the fence as far as jira vs tracker. i briefly tried using the latest greenhopper on a new project this week
[6:36] <eddies> it definitely feels better than before
[6:46] -niven.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:46] -niven.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:46] -niven.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:46] -niven.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:46] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:46] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:46] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[13:26] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:05] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-129-94-92.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:47] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-129-94-92.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[14:48] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-129-94-92.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:22] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:58] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Quit: Later, taterz!)
[15:58] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:02] * scottatm (~scottatm@adhcp218.evans.tamu.edu) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[16:07] * scottatm (~scottatm@adhcp218.evans.tamu.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:27] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Read error: Operation timed out)
[17:27] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:31] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[19:31] * eddies (~eddies@cm18.epsilon183.maxonline.com.sg) has joined #duraspace
[19:31] * eddies (~eddies@cm18.epsilon183.maxonline.com.sg) Quit (Changing host)
[19:31] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[19:51] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C154B1.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[19:51] <KevinVdV> Hi everybody
[19:53] * helix84 (a@ has joined #duraspace
[19:53] <tdonohue> Hi all, Reminder we have a DSpace Developers Mtg coming up at the top of the hour. This will be a slightly shorter meeting (45mins) and will just be about 3.0 final steps.
[19:57] <hpottinger> hey, KevinVdV, you guys run some oracle sites, yeah?
[19:59] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:59] <tdonohue> Hi all..just pulled together a (very quick) agenda for today's Dev Mtg. Very similar to last week, just need to finish the last tasks listed: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-11-28
[19:59] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2012-11-28 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2012-11-28
[20:00] <tdonohue> Ok. it's that time again. We'll go ahead and start our Developers Mtg (agenda link above)
[20:00] * sands (~sands@66-189-8-168.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> First..just want to mention, I'm going to be stepping out of the meeting after 45 mins, to get setup for the "DSpace Futures Discussion" (which you all are invited to), one hour from now.
[20:01] <robint> 45 mins should be plenty
[20:01] <hpottinger> tdonohue: can you link connection details here?
[20:01] <helix84> my name dominates the list of remaining jira issues... sorry about that. i thought i will find the time while the rest got rescheduled. those are minor issues anyway, so we can reschedule them to 3.1
[20:02] <tdonohue> So, this will be a slightly abbreviated meeting...hopefully we can just dig into the last things left to do for 3.0, and get them all assigned/finalized....so that *hopefully* we can release tomorrow or Fri
[20:03] <hpottinger> would appreciate if anyone can sanity-check https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/146
[20:03] <kompewter> [ DS-1379 revised 18-3 update SQL script with correct Oracle syntax by hardyoyo · Pull Request #146 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/146
[20:03] <tdonohue> hpottinger -- DSpace Futures Discussion connect details (Dial 1-209-647-1600 , Enter code: 373133) These were also sent to dspace-commit. Again, that mtg is in a little less than an hr.
[20:03] <tdonohue> yes..let's start with the last remaining open issues (which I see hpottinger has kicked us off on)
[20:04] <helix84> i have a question about that call - i read somewhare that calling via google talk to the US is free of charge. does that apply to this number?
[20:04] <tdonohue> not sure, helix84, to be honest. Sorry. I'd guess that'd be a "yes", as it is a US number. But, I've never tried to call it from Google Talk
[20:05] <sands> helix84, are you _in_ the US?
[20:05] <helix84> no
[20:05] <sands> sorry, hard to keep track on all these international projects
[20:05] <sands> ok. not entirely sure if it's free unless it's US -> US.
[20:06] <hpottinger> nothing a proxy can't fix ;-)
[20:06] <tdonohue> So, is there anyone here who can help hpottinger sanity check Pull #146 & DS-1379? We need someone with a little Oracle know-how... Or we can just assume that hpottinger is awesome & just accept it.
[20:06] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1379 ] - [#DS-1379] Invalid update script for oracle db - database_schema_18-3.sql - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:06] <helix84> i don't see why source matters with voip but i'll take your word for it and connect via skype. thanks.
[20:07] <sands> hpottinger: not an Oracle shop, so not sure how much "sanity" i could offer. (in general too...)
[20:08] <sands> looks "sane" though.
[20:08] <robint> hpottinger: pull 146 looks ok to me
[20:08] <sands> type of change i imagine oracle would kick back on if the syntax wasn't correct.
[20:09] <sands> i say go for it (said the non-oracle guy)
[20:09] <hpottinger> yes, Oracle kicks back a lot :-)
[20:09] <robint> looks like standard sql
[20:09] <tdonohue> Ok, sounds like a sanity check is done on Pull #146. To be honest, if something is still amiss, we'll hear about it from Oracle folks, and we can push out a quick 3.1 (Though, I agree, this all looks sane)
[20:09] <robint> +1 for merging it
[20:10] <hpottinger> and I've confirmed that Oracle doesn't kick back on this SQL
[20:10] <tdonohue> ok, +1 for merging too then.
[20:10] <hpottinger> now... running DSpace with the resulting DB...
[20:10] * helix84 thought that was the point ;)
[20:10] <hpottinger> *that* I can't vouch for
[20:11] <helix84> i'll be the devil's advocate here and say let's not risk breaking the release with an untested change just to reduce warnings in code that works
[20:12] <tdonohue> helix84 -- I think you may be talking about something else? We are talking about DS-1379
[20:12] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1379 ] - [#DS-1379] Invalid update script for oracle db - database_schema_18-3.sql - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:12] <helix84> i know
[20:13] <tdonohue> helix84 -- it's actually a *broken* DB upgrade script...i.e...it doesn't work
[20:13] <helix84> right, i might have confused it with the other oracke change after all, sorry
[20:13] <hpottinger> to be clear, the SQL in pull 146 has been checked by an Oracle DBA, and it runs cleanly on Oracle
[20:14] <tdonohue> ok. So, I'd say we merge #146 in -- push that big green button.
[20:14] <hpottinger> it's not clear to me that, today at least, I can get DSpace master to run on Oracle...
[20:15] <tdonohue> This does bring up the question though -- do we all feel that the 1.8 -> 3.0 upgrade (for either Oracle or Postgres) is working right? hpottinger, as he notes, is having trouble on DSpace master
[20:15] <helix84> worked fine for me on postgres (testing server)
[20:16] <robint> hpottinger: what is not working?
[20:16] <hpottinger> https://gist.github.com/4163656
[20:16] <kompewter> [ seeing this error when attempting to load JSPUI on a newly-upgraded from 1.8 to 3.0 db, running dspace_master — Gist ] - https://gist.github.com/4163656
[20:16] <tdonohue> good to know, helix84. Just wanted to be sure someone has tried this recently...I *thought* at least Postgres was working right
[20:16] * mdiggory (~mdiggory@rrcs-74-87-47-118.west.biz.rr.com) has joined #duraspace
[20:17] <helix84> i tried it about a month ago, after the last changes to the upgrade script
[20:17] <helix84> but latest master still runs fine on it
[20:17] <tdonohue> sounds good
[20:19] <tdonohue> hpottinger -- the error you posted still sounds rather fishy to me...it doesn't sound like an upgrade issue...but something else odd in the DSpace -> DB communication
[20:19] <hpottinger> right, tdonohue... it has me worried...
[20:19] <tdonohue> (but that's just my unknowledgeable guess on the matter -- It still might be nice if someone else was able to try a 1.8->3.0 upgrade on Oracle)
[20:20] <tdonohue> hpottinger -- perhaps post the error to dspace-release or dspace-devel to try and get more eyes on it? I know were a little time-constrained today
[20:20] <robint> hpottinger: can I jump back to pull request 146 for a moment
[20:21] <robint> It has an extra bit that modifies the password column
[20:21] <hpottinger> robint, that was suggested on a comment on DS-1379
[20:21] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1379 ] - [#DS-1379] Invalid update script for oracle db - database_schema_18-3.sql - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:22] <hpottinger> Our DBA signed off on that revision
[20:22] <robint> Doh! Didn't notice the comment, thanks
[20:22] <robint> Shall I merge it while I have it in front of me ?
[20:22] <mhwood> Oops, did I miss that? Sorry.
[20:23] <tdonohue> i'd say push the button, robint.
[20:24] <hpottinger> yay!
[20:24] <robint> done
[20:24] <tdonohue> ok, moving along to other open tickets -- it looks like we have 6 other tickets open (not counting Ds-1379) all assigned to helix84: https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.0%22+AND+resolution%3DUnresolved+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC
[20:24] <kompewter> [ Issue Navigator - DuraSpace JIRA ] - https://jira.duraspace.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+DS+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%223.0%22+AND+resolution%3DUnresolved+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC
[20:24] <tdonohue> helix84 -- did you say we should reschedule *all* of these?
[20:24] <tdonohue> Or should we review them first?
[20:24] <helix84> like i said, they're minor issues that can be rescheduled
[20:24] <helix84> depending on when we want to release
[20:24] <helix84> no need to review them
[20:25] <helix84> do we still release before the weekend?
[20:25] <tdonohue> I think the hope would be to release tomorrow or Fri, unless there's any reason to delay further.
[20:26] <helix84> then go for it
[20:26] <helix84> i'll work on them during the weekend, but they're not critical in any way
[20:27] <helix84> so if dspace is released, i'll also upgrade demo during the weekend
[20:27] <tdonohue> Ok.. is everyone ok with delaying these last 6 tickets for 3.1?
[20:27] <helix84> if not, the patches should be ready
[20:27] <sands> +1
[20:27] <hpottinger> one of these is brand new
[20:27] <mhwood> 1401 turned out to be documentation, as I recall.
[20:28] <tdonohue> (and to be honest...these 6 tickets are really ~4...I think all the CC License ones are essentially the same issue, and we should merge those tickets)
[20:28] * robint_ (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:28] <helix84> there are 3 duplicates, 1 doc task, the OAI validation is probly almost solved but awaits confirmation and 2 are small issues in XMLUI display
[20:28] <tdonohue> oh, if DS-1401 is just docs, anyone want to quickly add the needed docs? Or will it take time?
[20:28] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1401 ] - [#DS-1401] &quot;stats-log-converter -m&quot; not working - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:28] <helix84> i'll do it
[20:28] <hpottinger> +1 punt remainder to 3.1
[20:29] <tdonohue> sounds good...the rest get punted to 3.1. If I get to it, I might do a quick verify of DS-1311 tomorrow morning, as that might be closeable as well.
[20:29] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1311 ] - [#DS-1311] XOAI validation issues - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:30] <helix84> about 1311, there are still some things that were not possible to fix because nobody has the schema
[20:30] * robint (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[20:30] <helix84> i even tried to contact the website claudia used to do the validation, but the email always bounced
[20:31] <tdonohue> helix84 -- yea, we may want to keep some sub-tickets still open, but close the generic ticket.... I just know that in general, I think XOAI is doing a "good enough" job at basic validation (at least as good as old OAI-PMH)
[20:31] <tdonohue> OK. So, it sounds like we're working to close the last tickets.
[20:32] <helix84> that makes sense from the point of view how much work was done, but otherwise it doesn't make sense, if you know what i mean :)
[20:32] <tdonohue> The only other things standing in the way of "pressing the release button" are:
[20:32] <tdonohue> 1. Finalizing Documentation & exporting PDF & committing it to GitHub
[20:33] <tdonohue> 2. Update (as needed) README & LICENSE files (I'm working on LICENSE_THIRD_PARTY file)
[20:33] <sands> I'm continuing to review the install docs
[20:33] <tdonohue> 3. After those, we can officially work to "cut the release"
[20:33] <helix84> like i wrote to -release today, we also have some open pull requests (without a jira issue), notably Mark Wood's Javadoc cleanup
[20:34] <tdonohue> 4. Finally, we need a Release Announcement drafted up (I think Sands volunteered here)
[20:34] <sands> i did.
[20:34] <tdonohue> (oh, and for "cutting the release", hpottinger had volunteered)
[20:34] <tdonohue> So...I think the only thing needing some more help/attention is the final Documentation checks
[20:35] <robint_> I'll spend some more time on docs tomorrow
[20:35] <mhwood> If the RT finds PR#125 (javadoc cleanup) acceptable I'd be happy to push the button on it right now.
[20:35] <sands> tdonohue, if you happen to have any old release annc emails sitting around, send them over, otherwise i'll draw it up from scratch. didn't find any on a brief search.
[20:35] <tdonohue> thanks robint_ and sands -- on docs volunteering
[20:35] <helix84> mhwood: it got a bit out of date but i'm +1
[20:35] <tdonohue> sands -- yep, I should be able to dig out the 1.8.0 and 1.7.0 final release announcements.
[20:36] <robint_> sands: I may also have some
[20:36] <hpottinger> mhwood: +1 on PR#125, speaking as someone who will see plenty of text fly by during the release process
[20:36] <tdonohue> I'm fine with PR#125 (as long as it's just comments/javadocs stuff -- haven't had a chance to dig through it all yet)
[20:36] * hpottinger is drafting a note to dspace-devel, asking or help testing an Oracle upgrade...
[20:38] <tdonohue> Ok....so, it *sounds like* we're nearly ready to start the release. I.e. it may be doable by tomorrow afternoon (USA time), or Fri morning (again USA time)
[20:39] <helix84> do we have both langpacks released?
[20:39] <tdonohue> yep..langpacks were released yesterday
[20:40] <tdonohue> by hpottinger
[20:40] <hpottinger> and some help from the unflappable tdonohue
[20:41] <tdonohue> oh, I'm flappable -- I just hide it well ;)
[20:42] <tdonohue> ok...so, I think that wraps everything up for today...we're on our way to a 3.0 tomorrow or Fri. I'd suggest we send updates to *either* dspace-release or jump into #dspace IRC
[20:42] <tdonohue> Will be glad to get 3.0 out the door! Thanks to all!
[20:42] * hpottinger is ready to pull the lever
[20:42] <sands> :)
[20:42] <sands> thank _you_ tdonohue for all the effort.
[20:43] <hpottinger> let's shoot for tomorrow
[20:43] <tdonohue> So, I'm going to close up today's meeting now. As mentioned, in a little over 15 minutes we have the last "DSpace Futures Discussion" with Committers & DCAT. If you can, join us. If you cannot, we will post notes afterwards (just like the last meeting)
[20:43] <sands> cheers all.
[20:43] <tdonohue> hpottinger: +1 (with a backup of Fri)
[20:44] * sands (~sands@66-189-8-168.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com) Quit (Quit: sands)
[20:44] <mhwood> So is PR#125 Go or Wait?
[20:45] <helix84> mhwood: if you rebase, i'll hit the button. i already reviewed it last time.
[20:45] <mhwood> Rebase?
[20:46] <helix84> nevermind, then. i'll rebase it on top of master and close te pull request.
[20:46] <mhwood> Don't understand. It's mergeable now. I fixed that earlier today.
[20:47] <helix84> oh, great. i don't have it in front of me, i looked this morning.
[20:47] <hpottinger> mhwood: if the button is green, and you personally approve the code, you're a trusted developer, push that button
[20:48] <helix84> i just looked again. you did a merge, that will clutter up our history. i'll better rebase.
[20:48] <mhwood> Oops, 'tis done.
[20:49] <helix84> it only hurts when you do that repeatedly :)
[21:00] <KevinVdV> Nees to run
[21:00] <KevinVdV> *Needs*
[21:00] * KevinVdV (~KevinVdV@d54C154B1.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: HydraIRC -> http://www.hydrairc.com <- It'll be on slashdot one day...)
[21:07] * robint_ (52292725@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[21:08] <hpottinger> alas, my mojo is all tapped out, can't dial long distance from here
[21:08] <mdiggory> Google Voice is king
[21:11] <hpottinger> have support people trying to help, if I can get it together, will call
[21:25] <hpottinger> alas, two different authorization codes have failed... it's not meant to be
[21:27] <hpottinger> someone please extend my regrets to the participants of the conference call, I'm going to try to get DSpace:master running on Oracle
[21:33] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (*.net *.split)
[21:34] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[21:34] * hpottinger_ (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:40] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[21:43] * hpottinger_ (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:17] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:58] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-129-94-92.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:03] * joaomelo (~DSpace@ has joined #duraspace
[23:24] * helix84 (a@ has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.