#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2013-02-06

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:32] * eddies (~eddies@ has joined #duraspace
[0:32] * eddies (~eddies@ Quit (Changing host)
[0:32] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[0:36] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[1:32] * eddies (~eddies@ has joined #duraspace
[1:32] * eddies (~eddies@ Quit (Changing host)
[1:32] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[1:37] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[3:57] * eddies (~eddies@ has joined #duraspace
[3:57] * eddies (~eddies@ Quit (Changing host)
[3:57] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[4:01] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)
[4:02] * eddies (~eddies@ has joined #duraspace
[4:02] * eddies (~eddies@ Quit (Changing host)
[4:02] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[6:28] -cameron.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:28] -cameron.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:28] -cameron.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:28] -cameron.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:28] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:28] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:28] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[12:54] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[13:21] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[14:01] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[14:45] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[14:46] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@ has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * eddies (~eddies@ has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * eddies (~eddies@ Quit (Changing host)
[14:48] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[14:48] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[14:48] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:19] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[15:20] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[15:48] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[15:48] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:07] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[16:08] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:27] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[16:27] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Disconnected by services)
[16:27] * tdonohue1 (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[16:28] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[16:49] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:22] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ has joined #duraspace
[19:11] * helix84 (~a@ip4-95-82-147-170.cust.nbox.cz) has joined #duraspace
[19:14] * bigbrovar_ (~quassel@ has joined #duraspace
[19:15] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ Quit (Ping timeout: 272 seconds)
[19:20] * bigbrovar_ (~quassel@ Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[19:20] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ has joined #duraspace
[19:59] <helix84> hello, anyone here for today's DevMtg?
[19:59] <mhwood> Present!
[19:59] <helix84> hi mark
[20:00] <helix84> I'm looking at last week's agenda
[20:00] <helix84> we talked about metadata for all
[20:01] <helix84> among other ongoing topics is Migrate Search and Browse to DSpace Discovery
[20:01] <helix84> do you have any comments/opinions on that? :)
[20:03] <mhwood> I've not tried Discovery yet. So it's hard to have comments on that.
[20:03] <hpottinger> erm, I'm here, too
[20:03] <helix84> hi hardy
[20:03] * hpottinger just noticed that tdonohue1 is home with a sick kid today and is in lurker mode.
[20:03] <helix84> :O you haven't tried Discovery? like ever?
[20:04] * hpottinger raises a hand, guilty, too.
[20:04] <mhwood> Ever. We're about to upgrade here and I plan to propose moving to it.
[20:04] * helix84 is shocked with surprise
[20:05] <helix84> but surely you played with it on your dev machine
[20:05] <mhwood> 'fraid not. I've been meaning to....
[20:05] <hpottinger> similar plans, and yes, played a tiny bit.
[20:05] <helix84> wow, ok :) in that case is there anything you'd like to ask?
[20:08] <hpottinger> re-reading the proposal
[20:08] <hpottinger> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Migrate+Search+and+Browse+to+DSpace+Discovery
[20:08] <kompewter> [ Migrate Search and Browse to DSpace Discovery - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Migrate+Search+and+Browse+to+DSpace+Discovery
[20:08] <helix84> the code is here: DS-1272
[20:08] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1272 ] - [#DS-1272] Enable Discovery By Default - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:12] <hpottinger> well... I've not tried setting up Discovery "the old way" and lazy ol' me thinks that merging pull 91 into my fork of DSpace may be just the ticket for trying it out...
[20:13] <helix84> I haven't tried #91, either. It was quickly reverted because it was breaking tests (IIRC)
[20:13] <mhwood> The proposal sounds reasonable.
[20:14] <helix84> But the safe way to enable Discovery is described here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Discovery#Discovery-EnablingDiscovery
[20:14] <kompewter> [ Discovery - DSpace 3.x Documentation - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Discovery#Discovery-EnablingDiscovery
[20:14] <mhwood> Sounds like it was one of those contributions that came in too late to work up for release?
[20:14] <helix84> yes, a while after Discovey/JSPUI came in
[20:15] <helix84> I think we even voted on it, just don't remember where
[20:15] <hpottinger> well then, perhaps I'll aspire to be useful while testing Discovery :-) and also test pull 91
[20:15] <helix84> apropos, we should record all our votes somewhere
[20:15] <mhwood> This channel is logged.
[20:15] <helix84> hpottinger++
[20:15] * hpottinger pats Duralogbot on the head.
[20:16] <helix84> mhwood: I know. But we need some indexing, too, otherwise we'll never know what we already voted on.
[20:16] <mhwood> Point.
[20:16] <helix84> (at least my memory is full of holes)
[20:17] <mhwood> Typically the discussion is pasted into the relevant JIRA issue, so at least it would not be too hard to discover whether a specific issue was voted.
[20:17] <mhwood> Memory, do I have memory, I don't recall.
[20:17] <hpottinger> my memory is trying to tell me that we *did* vote on 1272, and I think I did push the green button on pull 91, but it had to be reverted?
[20:17] <helix84> that surely helps. we should be diligent about that
[20:17] <helix84> yes, having memory helps, too :)
[20:18] <helix84> hpottinger: it was reverted because it made tests fail (according to my memory)
[20:18] <helix84> and thus the point that we need to record votes was demonstrated
[20:19] <helix84> ok, I guess that's it about Discovery
[20:19] <helix84> ready for next topic?
[20:20] <hpottinger> so, my takeaway is, go ahead and try pull 91, but expect some stuff to break
[20:21] <hpottinger> as a public service, just thought I'd echo something that mhwood and I were discussing earlier http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2013/01/31/java-6-end-life-impact-apache-tomcat-users
[20:21] <kompewter> [ Java 6 End of Life Impact for Apache Tomcat Users | TomcatExpert ] - http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2013/01/31/java-6-end-life-impact-apache-tomcat-users
[20:21] <helix84> hpottinger: only the tests are known to break, AFAIK. other than that, Discovery/XMLUI has been around since 1.7, so it's stable. of course, PR 91 might break something, sure.
[20:22] <helix84> I thought Java 6 will live on in IcedTea
[20:23] <helix84> but this seems to be specifically about Tomcat
[20:24] <hpottinger> the general notion is that we're all looking at upgrades this year
[20:24] <mhwood> At some point OpenJDK will stop fixing old releases. OpenJDK/IcedTea 7 has been out for some time and they are talking about 8. Oracle Java is OpenJDK (the reference implementation) blessed by Oracle and with a few proprietary goodies sprinkled on.
[20:25] <mhwood> IIRC problems that have been reported on DSpace with Java 7 have mostly been to do with Tomcat. True?
[20:25] <helix84> the only problem I remember was with Solr, if memory serves
[20:26] <helix84> DS-1081
[20:26] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1081 ] - [#DS-1081] Ensure that DSpace can run on java 7 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:27] <mhwood> All this rumination was in response to recollection of comments by Andrea Schweer, about difficulty with DSpace and Java 7 (which I only have secondhand).
[20:27] <helix84> one other problem was related to XmlWorkflow, which is an optional feature. that was fixed.
[20:27] * bigbrovar_ (~quassel@ has joined #duraspace
[20:28] <mhwood> So, maybe for 4.0 we need to schedule a task to qualify Java 7 for DSpace support.
[20:28] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ Quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)
[20:28] <hpottinger> right, Andrea mentioned she was having trouble getting an existing repo (presumably 1.8.x) running on Java 7
[20:28] <mhwood> Oops, well of course 1081 would be that task. We just need it on the schedule for 4.0
[20:28] <helix84> well demo has been running on OpenJDK 7 since before we put 3.0 on it
[20:29] <helix84> I can't find anything about Andrea's problem. Where was it?
[20:29] <mhwood> I ran some stuff on Java 7 for a while, but my development tools disliked it. Time to try again.
[20:29] <hpottinger> I need to remember to copy over some of demo's setup, I'd like to be able to easily swap out parts of the stack
[20:30] <hpottinger> helix84, Andrea and I were just chatting yesterday, she had a specific question which lead down the road towards this more general question
[20:30] <helix84> the point is, the problem should be in Jira
[20:31] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ has joined #duraspace
[20:31] <hpottinger> helix84++
[20:32] <mhwood> She may be working toward the point of filing an issue. One hesitates to fill up JIRA with things that turn out to be "oops, my fault, nevermind."
[20:32] * bigbrovar_ (~quassel@ Quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
[20:34] <hpottinger> I *should* hesitate, but often do not, alas. :-)
[20:34] <helix84> anyway, my opinion is that we're ready for 4.0 by having OpenJDK 7 on demo. and any issues can be filed and tracked as they come up.
[20:35] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:35] <aschweer> my ears were burning
[20:35] <mhwood> Yes, probably time for us all to be using 7 in our dev. environment and work away at problems found.
[20:36] <aschweer> I never got around to diagnosing my Java 7 issues (yup this was 1.8.2) -- we went back to Java 6 after Java 7 crashed tomcat
[20:36] <hpottinger> OH HAI aschweer :-)
[20:37] <aschweer> so I never filed a Jira issue because I don't know what the problem was or even how to reproduce it (all was good on the test server, but the test server doesn't have the same number of CPUs / amount of RAM as the production one)
[20:38] <helix84> don't worry, we all hit such irreproducible bugs and equally hate them
[20:39] <mhwood> I think that others saw difficulties between Java 7 and Tomcat, and they were addressed. Latest versions may work better together. I imagine that such things would be high priority for the Tomcat team.
[20:39] <mhwood> So, I should try it myself and find out.
[20:40] <aschweer> maybe I should be brave and switch over my test instances to Java 7. and possibly push for adjusting CPUs/RAM to match production so that they'll (hopefully) use the same garbage collection strategies
[20:41] <hpottinger> sounds like a good strategy
[20:41] <mhwood> Humph, Gentoo Linux has three icedtea-bin:7 rev.s in Portage, *all* keyworded on all arches. I should ask (again) what they need to stabilize one.
[20:42] * hpottinger notes that DS-1081 is "closed"
[20:42] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1081 ] - [#DS-1081] Ensure that DSpace can run on java 7 - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:42] <helix84> hpottinger: like I said, all known issues were fixed and any new ones should be opened as they pop up
[20:43] <helix84> hpottinger: that was the decision at that time
[20:43] <hpottinger> sounds good, just a few lines back, someone was suggesting bumping 1081 to 4.0
[20:46] <mhwood> So should a message go out on -devel asking people to try Java 7, it should be better now?
[20:46] <hpottinger> mhwood++
[20:46] <hpottinger> and if it's not "better" we need to know, like, now :-)
[20:46] <aschweer> plus ask those who already run / have already tried Java 7 for their experiences I guess
[20:47] <helix84> mhwood: well it is listed as supported in 3.0 docs and has been through testathon on OpenJDK 7
[20:51] <helix84> anything else you'd like to talk about?
[20:52] <mhwood> Do we need a periodic Pull Request review?
[20:52] <helix84> well PRs _should_ be referenced from Jira
[20:53] <helix84> and it has to be done manually. the generic git plugin for Jira doesn't recognize pull requests because it's a GitHub-specific feature
[20:54] <helix84> so theoretically no, practically it won't hurt
[20:54] <mhwood> GitHub, OTOH, can trigger things on other servers. I have a trigger that pokes a local Jenkins instance.
[20:55] <helix84> in that case you can earn a little cash
[20:55] <helix84> http://codegeist.atlassian.com/
[20:55] <kompewter> [ Atlassian Codegeist ] - http://codegeist.atlassian.com/
[20:55] <helix84> I think not only us could use a GitHub plugin for Jira which would track PRs for issues
[20:57] <mhwood> Interesting.
[20:58] <mhwood> But a PR is just a one-time event. We get mail about new issues, but we found that we need to follow up after a while to see if there is progress and if not, why not. I wonder if we need the same thing for PRs.
[20:59] <helix84> If you want to win, there are other things that such plugin could do that go beyond what we need in DSpace. Perhaps creating issues in Jira for issues created on GitHub, working with milestones etc.
[20:59] <helix84> the problem is that PRs can stay open if not dealt with right away, and subsequently forgotten. so they need to be tracked.
[21:00] <mhwood> All good stuff, but I don't have any Atlassian stuff locally and so no experience with extending it. I can see what can be done about that.
[21:00] <helix84> the best course of action would be to assign them as "attributes" to Jira issues
[21:00] <helix84> because in comments they're kind of lost
[21:02] <helix84> https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Field
[21:02] <kompewter> [ Adding a Custom Field - JIRA Latest - Atlassian Documentation - Confluence ] - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Field
[21:03] <helix84> speaking of Jira, does anyone know what the difference between "epic" and "label" is?
[21:03] <mhwood> I've wondered about "epic" myself.
[21:03] <hpottinger> one is more awesome than the other?
[21:04] <helix84> unless it's an epic fail
[21:04] <hpottinger> https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Working+with+Epics
[21:04] <kompewter> [ Working with Epics - GreenHopper 6.1 - Atlassian Documentation - Confluence ] - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Working+with+Epics
[21:05] <mhwood> Those can be awesome too. See e.g. "The Book of Heroic Failures".
[21:05] <hpottinger> an "agile thing"
[21:06] <mhwood> http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2007-11-26/
[21:06] <kompewter> [ Dilbert comic strip for 11/26/2007 from the official Dilbert comic strips archive. ] - http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2007-11-26/
[21:07] <helix84> so one of our epics could be e.g. dspace-services, right? it just never seems to get finished.
[21:07] <hpottinger> 'tis the nature of services
[21:07] <helix84> and DSpace 2.0 would be the Gilgamesh
[21:12] <hpottinger> Poor ol' DSpace 2.0, gets no respect.
[21:14] * tdonohue1 (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[21:15] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[21:16] <hpottinger> Hey, tdonohue, hope your kid is feeling better!
[21:16] <mhwood> OK, I reconfigured my devel. environment. NetBeans 7.2 is chugging away on a clean,build of DSpace 4.0-SNAPSHOT and hasn't stumbled yet. Our test environment turns out to be running J7 everywhere except my account and Jenkins'. Things are looking up.
[21:17] * hpottinger looks into setting up Java 7 on this MBP, again.
[21:19] <mhwood> BUILD SUCCESS
[21:29] <hpottinger> hey, so, we're way over time, you all have *my* permission to wander off
[21:30] <mhwood> What's that? I wandered off for a moment.
[21:32] <hpottinger> mhwood, you have my permission to wander off whenever you need
[21:33] <hpottinger> alas java 7 does not appear to be so easy on OSX
[21:52] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[21:58] * bigbrovar_ (~quassel@ has joined #duraspace
[21:59] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[22:00] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[22:09] * hpottinger (~hpottinge@mu-162198.dhcp.missouri.edu) has left #duraspace
[22:19] * helix84 (~a@ip4-95-82-147-170.cust.nbox.cz) Quit (Quit: helix84)
[22:29] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has left #duraspace
[22:32] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ has joined #duraspace
[22:33] * bigbrovar_ (~quassel@ Quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[22:40] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[22:42] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ has joined #duraspace
[22:56] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[23:01] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[23:27] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ Quit (Ping timeout: 264 seconds)
[23:28] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ has joined #duraspace
[23:54] * bigbrovar_ (~quassel@ has joined #duraspace
[23:55] * bigbrovar (~quassel@ Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.