#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2013-07-03

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[1:00] * jonathangee_ (~jonathang@blk-222-249-31.eastlink.ca) has joined #duraspace
[1:00] * jonathangee (~jonathang@blk-222-249-31.eastlink.ca) Quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
[1:00] * jonathangee_ is now known as jonathangee
[5:57] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) Quit (Quit: Leaving.)
[5:57] * eddies (~eddies@cm21.eta98.maxonline.com.sg) has joined #duraspace
[5:57] * eddies (~eddies@cm21.eta98.maxonline.com.sg) Quit (Changing host)
[5:57] * eddies (~eddies@unaffiliated/eddies) has joined #duraspace
[6:32] -pratchett.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:32] -pratchett.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:32] -pratchett.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:32] -pratchett.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:32] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:32] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:32] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[12:08] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[12:21] * fasseg (~fas@HSI-KBW-078-043-007-220.hsi4.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de) has joined #duraspace
[12:24] <fasseg> hey guys! Im trying to fax a CLA to duraspace but it seems I can't reach 001 607 6970418. Has the number changed or am I doing something wrong here?
[13:05] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[13:55] <mhwood> tdonohue: fasseg had a question about FAX to Duraspace. See the log. Comment?
[13:58] <tdonohue> fasseg & mhwood: I'll ask around. That fax number seems to be correct (based on our contact us info): http://www.duraspace.org/contact_us (Admittedly, since DuraSpace is a virtual organization, I'm not sure where that fax number even goes to, but I'll ask)
[13:58] <kompewter> [ Contact Us | DuraSpace ] - http://www.duraspace.org/contact_us
[14:03] <tdonohue> fasseg: I'm told that the fax number on that contact page is correct. It's actually an "e-fax" number which autogenerates a PDF and sends it via email. We've received faxes via that number successfully in the past few days.
[14:04] <tdonohue> fasseg: But, if for some reason it's not working from Germany (which I think is your location), then you can also just scan the document and email it to us.
[15:23] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[15:36] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[19:01] * ryscher (98033b6f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:08] * kstamatis_ (6df235e5@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[19:16] * ryscher (98033b6f@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
[19:54] * kstamatis_ (6df235e5@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[19:55] * l_a_p (~chatzilla@93-63-99-237.ip27.fastwebnet.it) has joined #duraspace
[20:01] * bram-atmire (~bram@94-225-35-170.access.telenet.be) has joined #duraspace
[20:05] <tdonohue> Hi all, as I suspected not many (if any) folks around for a DSpace Developers Meeting today. I setup a (light) agenda just in case.
[20:05] <tdonohue> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-07-03
[20:05] * kstamatis (6df235e5@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:05] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2013-07-03 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-07-03
[20:05] <tdonohue> The main question I wanted to pose (to anyone who is around), is whether there were any last minute suggestions/comments to our OR13 Developer Meeting agenda.
[20:05] <bram-atmire> Hi kostas
[20:05] <tdonohue> That OR13 agenda is posted up at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-07-08+-+OR13+Meeting#DevMtg2013-07-08-OR13Meeting-GeneralAgenda
[20:05] <mhwood> Looks like plenty to talk about already.
[20:05] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2013-07-08 - OR13 Meeting - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2013-07-08+-+OR13+Meeting#DevMtg2013-07-08-OR13Meeting-GeneralAgenda
[20:05] <kstamatis> Hi everyone
[20:05] <kstamatis> Hi Bram
[20:06] <tdonohue> mhwood: yea, I wasn't wanting to *add* to the OR13 agenda. More just wanting to see if anyone had any tweaks/feedback on it. Just wanting to get some verification that it looks good. I agree though that it's already a pretty full agenda
[20:06] <tdonohue> and for anyone who isn't able to attend OR13, we'll obviously have a notetaker & post notes publicly to that wiki page
[20:07] <mhwood> One area where we have no modularity is with the launcher configuration. Adding on a command means editing the config.
[20:09] <tdonohue> Ok. Sounds like no last objections / tweaks to the OR13 agenda, so I think it's pretty well "finalized".
[20:10] <tdonohue> Obviously the other thing to note: There will be no IRC Meeting next week because of OR13, obviously.
[20:11] <tdonohue> Next topic: 4.0 (which we'll also discuss a bit at OR13)
[20:12] <tdonohue> Regarding 4.0, I mostly just wanted to let everyone know that I've heard from Andrea Bollini, and he has volunteered to help on the 4.0 Release Team (joining mhwood & hpottinger).
[20:12] <mhwood> Thank you.
[20:13] <tdonohue> Obviously we'll need to start to nail down 4.0 possible features / deadlines. I'm hoping we'll get a better grasp on possible features during the discussions at OR13. We'll obviously want to also turn around and set some deadlines/timelines very soon (as for 3.0 our first deadline came up in late Aug)
[20:14] <mhwood> Yes, I need to devote more time to coordinating.
[20:15] <tdonohue> Well, I'd be glad to sit down with you & hpottinger & abollini at some point at OR13 (since we'll all be there), if it makes sense. We can always see what comes out of the Monday OR13 Dev mtg and draft some timelines/deadlines out of that, perhaps
[20:15] <mhwood> Sounds good.
[20:16] <tdonohue> Beyond those two (small) topics. I really didn't have anything else to discuss today. :)
[20:16] <bram-atmire> I'm gathering internal input from our folks to see what we can already announce at OR
[20:17] <bram-atmire> but personally, I'm pretty committed to seeing the translationwiki stuff succeed
[20:17] <tdonohue> So, if anyone else has topics they want to bring up, please feel free. Or we can end the meeting early or do a few PR reviews (or similar).
[20:17] <tdonohue> bram-atmire: good to hear. Yea, would be good to have an idea of what @mire may or may not be "targeting" for 4.0. Would love to see the translationwiki stuff moving forward too
[20:19] <bram-atmire> does anyone of you have any php experience?
[20:19] <bram-atmire> the translationwiki stuff is currently stuck at a point where a small connector needs to be extended
[20:19] <bram-atmire> for translationwiki to understand the cocoon msg format
[20:19] <bram-atmire> it's in php
[20:19] <tdonohue> Not I, sorry.
[20:19] <bram-atmire> and the translationwiki people already did a first attempt
[20:19] <kstamatis> me neither
[20:19] <bram-atmire> but they asked us to verify & finish it
[20:20] <bram-atmire> ok, tough luck ;)
[20:20] <tdonohue> I'm pretty sure some of the SWORD folks know PHP well.... The "EasyDeposit" app is PHP I think. That'd be stuartlewis (now an "emertitus committer" though), possibly richardjones.
[20:20] <mhwood> I have PHP experience the same way I have experience with influenza, but I have encountered it once or twice.
[20:20] <tdonohue> I vaguely have memories that kshepherd may have also done something with PHP...but maybe I'm wrong there
[20:21] <tdonohue> I'd imagine one of us should be able to "pick up" PHP though (at least enough to finish writing that small connector), if needed. It cannot be *that* hard ;)
[20:22] <mhwood> I could take a look at it, but really I'm not the person I would go to for PHP if there was anyone else.
[20:23] <tdonohue> verified EasyDeposit is PHP. We could beg stuartlewis (who wrote it) to write us some code ;)
[20:25] <mhwood> Anyone who's worked inside Drupal or the PKP products (OJS, OCS, OMP...) has experience with PHP.
[20:28] <bram-atmire> ok tnx
[20:28] <tdonohue> could always just ask on dspace-devel or dspace-commit if we got folks who know PHP. I'm pretty sure we do... just a matter of finding someone with some time to chip in and help
[20:29] <tdonohue> Any other topics you three want to discuss today? Small attendance obviously, and I don't want to keep you all here if you have "things to do" ;)
[20:30] <bram-atmire> yup, will do if I don't find anyone at OR
[20:30] <mhwood> I was hoping to get someone to look at PR#231 and #232.
[20:31] <tdonohue> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/231
[20:31] <kompewter> [ [DS-790] SOLR - Spider detection to match on hostname or useragent by mwoodiupui · Pull Request #231 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/231
[20:33] <tdonohue> so, PR#231 / DS-790 essentially *replaces* the existing IP-based spider detection with hostname/useragent?
[20:33] <kompewter> [ https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-790 ] - [#DS-790] SOLR - Spider detection to match on hostname or useragent - DuraSpace JIRA
[20:34] <mhwood> No, IP-based is still in there.
[20:35] <mhwood> Some of the IP-based code was worked over in the process, but it's still there.
[20:35] * ryscher (ae636f1e@gateway/web/freenode/session) has joined #duraspace
[20:35] <tdonohue> oh, I see. you can now use IPs or hostname or useragent
[20:35] <mhwood> Yes, there are separate lists for each.
[20:35] <tdonohue> those should be "and/or". It's not a choice of one, obviously
[20:36] <tdonohue> well, I like the idea. Still scanning code....
[20:36] <tdonohue> where do these lists get configured / populated at?
[20:37] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (*.net *.split)
[20:38] <mhwood> I invented two new subdirectories of config/spiders.
[20:38] <mhwood> Drop a file in one, and it is read for patterns for that type of match.
[20:39] <mhwood> Each line is a regex.
[20:40] <tdonohue> Ok, I see... [dspace]/config/spiders/agents/ and [dspace]/config/spiders/domains/
[20:40] <mhwood> Yes.
[20:40] <mhwood> The IP lists are still in [dspace]/config/spiders
[20:41] <tdonohue> Yea, I think this all sounds good to me. My main comments are: (1) Needs some Docs (obviously), and (2) Wondering out loud if there's any way to "prepopulate" the lists of common useragents (at a minimum), so that everyone doesn't need to do that themselves
[20:42] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[20:42] <tdonohue> Other than that, I love the idea. It's a much needed feature
[20:42] <mhwood> Good to hear. I have an even dozen branches of DSpace that I'm working on now and would love to finish a few of them off.
[20:43] <tdonohue> Yea, I'd say I'd be in favor of getting this into 4.0, myself. But, I do think we need to think about a way to prepopulate (or ship DSpace with) a default list of the major common useragents. Not sure offhand where a good source for that is, though.
[20:43] <mhwood> PeterDietz asked about domain lists on the Jira but had no responses yet.
[20:45] <mhwood> bram-atmire has been turning up many IP lists.
[20:45] <mhwood> It would be good to have a few agent patterns too.
[20:46] * ryscher (ae636f1e@gateway/web/freenode/session) Quit (Changing host)
[20:46] * ryscher (ae636f1e@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has joined #duraspace
[20:48] <mhwood> I just put out a call on -devel for pattern lists.
[20:49] <bram-atmire> Hi Ryan
[20:50] <tdonohue> sounds good, mhwood. I'm assuming there should be one out there somewhere...finding some, but none have a nice API or have regex patterns.
[20:52] <mhwood> I need to take some more CS courses ... speculating now on how to deduce efficient regexes from a body of samples....
[20:55] <bram-atmire> got to go, see you on the island guys! Arriving sunday evening
[20:56] <mhwood> See you there.
[20:56] <tdonohue> yea, I think we'll close up for today. See you at OR13 as well. I'll be getting in (late) sunday night as well
[20:56] <kstamatis> bye everyone, has nice time in OR13
[20:57] * bram-atmire (~bram@94-225-35-170.access.telenet.be) Quit (Quit: byebye!)
[20:57] * l_a_p (~chatzilla@93-63-99-237.ip27.fastwebnet.it) Quit (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.90 [Firefox 21.0/20130511120803])
[20:57] * kstamatis (6df235e5@gateway/web/freenode/ip. has left #duraspace
[20:58] <mhwood> I'm arriving sometime between 1700-1800, I think.
[20:58] <mhwood> Got to go, thanks everyone!
[20:59] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[21:08] * ryscher (ae636f1e@gateway/web/freenode/ip. Quit (Quit: Page closed)
[21:28] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-67-177-111-99.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.