#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2014-03-05

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[0:07] * kshepherd2 (~kim@ has joined #duraspace
[0:45] * kshepherd2 (~kim@ Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[1:23] * aawoods__ (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[1:23] * aawoods__ (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[1:24] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[1:26] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[6:33] -card.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:33] -card.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:33] -card.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:33] -card.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:33] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@atlas.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:33] * Topic is '[Welcome to DuraSpace - This channel is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/]'
[6:33] * Set by cwilper!ad579d86@gateway/web/freenode/ip. on Fri Oct 22 01:19:41 UTC 2010
[8:23] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) Quit (*.net *.split)
[8:24] * helix84 (~ctenar@ Quit (*.net *.split)
[8:25] * ruebot (~ruebot@pdpc/supporter/professional/ruebot) Quit (*.net *.split)
[8:25] * kompewter (~kompewter@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[8:25] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (*.net *.split)
[8:26] * kshepherd (kim@ec2-184-73-177-234.compute-1.amazonaws.com) Quit (*.net *.split)
[8:27] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) Quit (*.net *.split)
[9:02] * awoods (~awoods@c-67-165-245-76.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[9:02] * ruebot (~ruebot@pdpc/supporter/professional/ruebot) has joined #duraspace
[9:02] * kompewter (~kompewter@ec2-50-17-201-82.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[9:02] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[9:02] * helix84 (~ctenar@ has joined #duraspace
[9:02] * kshepherd (kim@ec2-184-73-177-234.compute-1.amazonaws.com) has joined #duraspace
[9:02] * ChanServ (ChanServ@services.) has joined #duraspace
[9:53] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-37-31.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) has joined #duraspace
[10:37] * kshepherd2 (~kim@121-99-37-31.bng1.nct.orcon.net.nz) Quit (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[11:54] * helix84_ (~ctenar@ has joined #duraspace
[11:56] * helix84 (~ctenar@ Quit (Ping timeout: 265 seconds)
[12:47] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[12:52] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-179-112-246.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined #duraspace
[12:52] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) has joined #duraspace
[13:00] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[15:59] * Oak (~Arslan@unaffiliated/alreadygone) has joined #duraspace
[18:15] * Oak (~Arslan@unaffiliated/alreadygone) Quit (Quit: Later guys... :) (me liking http://hexchat.github.io/ very much))
[19:00] * burmistrov (~burmistro@ has joined #duraspace
[19:22] * burmistrov (~burmistro@ Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[19:57] * kshepherd2 (~kim@ has joined #duraspace
[20:01] <tdonohue> Hi all, it's time for our weekly DSpace Developers Meeting: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-03-05
[20:01] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2014-03-05 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2014-03-05
[20:02] <tdonohue> Seems like a bit of a smaller group today, but we'll go ahead and get started (perhaps others will pop in along the way)
[20:02] <tdonohue> First off, a huge thanks to everyone who worked hard on getting 4.1 packed up & shipped out. Additional thanks to mhwood for doing a lot of the final packaging/shipping, etc.
[20:03] <tdonohue> Glad to see 4.1 get out the door myself, as it fixes a lot of small (but important) things in 4.1 :)
[20:03] <tdonohue> err..in 4.0
[20:04] <tdonohue> So, now we'll just need to determine along the way if there's still enough outstanding to warrant a 4.2. There's no rush obviously, so we may as well wait until we sense a need
[20:04] <mhwood> Quiet in here today.
[20:05] <tdonohue> yep, very quiet :)
[20:05] <tdonohue> Is it just mhwood and I around today?
[20:06] * tdonohue senses that may be the case so far...even more silence
[20:06] <tdonohue> Well then, we don't really have a full "quorum" here, hmmm.
[20:07] <tdonohue> I'm assuming some others will likely read the logs. So, I might as well just make it through announcements here....
[20:08] <tdonohue> The only other "announcement" is that next week is our DuraSpace Sponsors Meeting. I'll be attending that on Tues & Weds, so I won't be on IRC either of those days.
[20:10] <tdonohue> So, unfortunately I won't be around for next weeks meeting. But, I will be sure to report back on anything that happens at the DuraSpace Sponsors Summit. There will be some discussions there around DSpace Governance, mainly with members of the newly forming DSpace Steering Committee.
[20:10] <tdonohue> Beyond that, I don't have anything else to announce.
[20:10] <tdonohue> and we don't really have a quorum here, being just mhwood and I.
[20:10] <mhwood> We'll see if we can find a moderator for next week.
[20:13] <tdonohue> well, anything else on your mind today mhwood? Anything you want to discuss? Or should we just call it a (rather abbreviated) meeting?
[20:14] <mhwood> hpottinger brought up the About New Features meetings in the ML. We need to schedule one.
[20:14] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) has joined #duraspace
[20:15] <mhwood> Ah, that makes three of us.
[20:15] <tdonohue> Oh, right. Well, we could make an announcement of a "Let's talk about features" meeting on March 19, perhaps (I'll be around then)
[20:15] <mhwood> Sounds good to me. I should be there.
[20:16] <tdonohue> aha, yea, hi aschweer. We have a rather quiet meeting going (you make three of us total).
[20:16] <tdonohue> I'm not sure we have a perfect "format" for the "Let's talk about features" meeting yet. So, I may just make that announcement to -devel initially. I'm hesitant to open it too broadly until we test the waters some
[20:17] * kshepherd2 (~kim@ Quit (Ping timeout: 265 seconds)
[20:17] <aschweer> oops, sorry, I'm much distracted but thought I'd pop onto IRC anyway
[20:17] <mhwood> That may be a good way to start.
[20:18] <tdonohue> I'm also now realizing I need to get us to revisit the "Requiring Documentation before a PR is merged" policy. I'll try and restart that in -commit. I'd like to get that finalized sooner rather than later
[20:18] <mhwood> Ah, I had forgotten that one.
[20:19] <tdonohue> Yea, it's been a few months now..Sorry, my plate is just continually full, and some of these things keep sliding off...need to get myself to get them wrapped up & done :)
[20:20] <mhwood> Thank you for taking them on.
[20:22] <mhwood> This needs broader discussion, but what did you think of scheduling talk about GSOC well in advance of the "application season"?
[20:24] <tdonohue> Scheduling talk of GSOC earlier is fine by me. It sorta snuck up on me this year. But, admittedly, scheduling it *too far* in advance could also be problematic -- we could surely brainstorm ideas very early on, but finding mentors may be easier as folks get a better sense of their summer schedules
[20:25] <mhwood> Just a thought.
[20:25] <helix84_> hello
[20:25] <mhwood> Hello.
[20:26] <tdonohue> yep. I agree it's a nice thought. I'd love to have a more "up-to-date" wishlist which we could pull from in prepping for GSOC (or even cross-institutional collaborations). So, that might be the something we could try and do better/earlier
[20:28] <helix84_> we do have plenty of feature requests in Jira. we might need to revive one of the feature request summary pages and keep it continually updated (with links to Jira). That way when GSOC comes, we just need to pick a few and find mentors.
[20:28] <helix84_> it would also be a good source of ideas to discuss on the feature-format DevMtgs
[20:30] <tdonohue> That is a nice idea. I'd actually like to find better ways to organize our JIRA tickets. Wondering out loud if even tagging things as "possible-gsoc" (not the greatest tag name) in JIRA would be worthwhile
[20:31] <tdonohue> e.g., I like that hpottinger (and others now) are starting to tag things as "low_hanging_fruit"
[20:31] <helix84_> well wiki pages can contain lists of jira issues fetched by a search query, so the options are limitless
[20:31] <helix84_> tdonohue: I think I called some "papercuts"
[20:32] <tdonohue> Right. Just noting that it'd be nice to have *automated* lists of JIRA tickets, rather than manually maintained ones
[20:35] <tdonohue> In any case, looking through JIRA would be beneficial to both future GSoC and "Let's talk about features" meetings. Just might be good to find ways to organize our JIRA tickets even better...there's a lot in there, and some tickets are more "project-ready" than others
[20:36] <misilot> wishlist ?
[20:37] * misilot (~misilot@p-body.lib.fit.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[20:37] <tdonohue> and we may want to consolidate "papercuts" and "low_hanging_fruit" tags if they really are the same thing...
[20:38] <tdonohue> (I wasn't sure if they were...we probably need our own "glossary" of tags somewhere)
[20:38] <mhwood> I don't seem them as equivalent. A "papercut" is annoying but harmless. "Low-hanging fruit" could be quite significant, but seems easy and quick to do.
[20:38] <mhwood> And we do need a glossary.
[20:40] <tdonohue> My assumption around papercut vs. low-hanging-fruit was the same as yours, mhwood
[20:43] <tdonohue> well, the glossary should be not too hard...I think we only primarily use 4 official tags/labels so far: "low_hanging_fruit", "papercut", "has-pull-request", "has-patch"
[20:46] <tdonohue> So, it seems like folks are distracted here, and even though there's more "lurkers" we are still mostly quiet. Wonder if we should just close up the meeting early
[20:47] <tdonohue> I have it on my list to send emails about "Let's talk about Features" (to -devel) and restart "Docs required before PR merger" discussion (on -commit). So, I'll try and get those done today
[20:47] <mhwood> Okay by me. It is only 13:00 to the scheduled close anyway.
[20:47] <mhwood> Thanks!
[20:47] <tdonohue> no problem
[21:03] * aschweer (~schweer@schweer.its.waikato.ac.nz) Quit (Quit: leaving)
[22:22] * mhwood (mwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has left #duraspace
[23:08] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@c-50-179-112-246.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has left #duraspace

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.